home
RSS
Bullies in popular culture
February 17th, 2014

Bullying's mental health toll may last years

A new study in the journal Pediatrics finds that bullying is associated with poor physical and mental health among children, particularly among those who were bullied in the past and are being currently bullied.

The effects were strongest among children who were bullied continuously, in more than one grade, particularly in terms of psychological health, said lead author Laura Bogart, associate professor of pediatrics at Boston Children's Hospital. Psychological measures included negative emotions such as anger and depression.

"We were able to show that these effects of bullying snowballed and compounded over time," Bogart said.

Methods

Researchers used a large sample of students at public schools in three metropolitan areas: Los Angeles, Houston and Birmingham, Alabama. A total of 4,297 students and their parents participated in all three phases of the study. More than 60% had household incomes of less than $50,000 a year, and less than half of parents had a high school degree or lower, suggesting a high proportion of participants from low socioeconomic status.

The children and their parents responded to computer-assisted personal interviews in English or Spanish. The first round took place in fifth grade; the next came two years later, when nearly all the kids were in seventh grade, and then three years after that, when almost everyone was in 10th grade.

Questions to assess bullying and victimization included, "How often did kids kick or push you in a mean way during the past 12 months?" If a child responded to of the six questions related to victimization with "about once a week" or "a few times a week," he or she was considered to have experienced bullying.

The children also answered questions about bullying in the context of both the past and present. Researchers evaluated the children on mental and physical health parameters, including depression and self-worth.

Results

Researchers found particularly striking differences in mental health when comparing children who had been bullied with those who had not. Among fifth-graders, about 4% of kids who had not been bullied showed low psychological health, far less than the 31% of kids who had been bullied.

In later years, researchers found a strong relationship between low psychological health and bullying, especially among children who said they were being bullied at that time, or both at that time and in the past.

The study found that about 45% of children in 10th grade who were bullied both in the past and the present had low psychological health, compared with 31% of those currently bullied, 12% of kids bullied only in the past and about 7% who had not been bullied.

Physical health had a similar relationship to bullying, although the relationship between bullying and physical health was not as strong as with mental health.

Those who experienced past and present bullying also tended to have worse symptoms of depression than other children surveyed. The worst depression symptoms were shown by 30% of 10th-graders bullied in the past and present, compared with 19% of those bullied only currently, 13% of those bullied in the past only and 8% of those who had not been bullied.

Similarly, the largest group of 10th-graders with the lowest self-worth were those who had been bullied in the past and the present.

"Although bullying in the present was a stronger predictor of poor health than past bullying, past bullying predicted poorer present health after considering present bullying," the study said.

About 30% of participants said in at least one of the three rounds of interviews that they had experienced frequent bullying.

Limitations

We can't conclude from this study design that bullying causes poor health outcomes. Researchers looked only at associations. Nonetheless, the findings corroborate many other studies linking bullying to worse health.

Also, the study was conducted in three U.S. metropolitan areas and only in public schools; the situations in different geographic areas, and different kinds of school, may vary.

Implications

"What these results show are a strong argument for an immediate intervention, early intervention, before the effects of bullying can get too serious for mental and physical health," Bogart said.

She encourages parents to have an open line of communication with their children and to always ask how their day went. There may be physical signs of bullying, such as bruises or scrapes, but a more subtle red flag might be a reluctance to go to school. Sadness, depression and isolation are also possible indications of bullying.

School-based interventions have shown to be successful, especially when everyone involved in the school participates.

"Parents and teachers can teach kids the importance of respect and acceptance of other people and to speak out when they see bullying," Bogart said.

When bullying goes high-tech

1. Brenda

I've bullied and been bullied. I regret it :o(

February 17, 2014 at 20:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • reasons

that you feel remorse is a good thing for both you (it allows to grow) and the people you bullied if you let them know. It can be validating and help heal. There is a internet clip going around about a guy on facebook who reached out and apologised to someone he used to bully. its heart warming. will try to find it and post.

February 17, 2014 at 21:15 | Report abuse |
    • Jorie

Even though I'm 61 years old now, I still remember being bullied in junior high school. The hurt never goes away.

February 17, 2014 at 22:43 | Report abuse |
    • Jan

I think most bullies have experienced being bullied. Most behaviors have to be modeled to be learned.

February 18, 2014 at 11:25 | Report abuse |
    • Betty

I'm 66 & still remember the names, faces & ugliness of those that used to bully me. Hate them still.

February 18, 2014 at 13:20 | Report abuse |
    • DilapidatedEmu

I both was bullied and was a bully as well. I regret being a bully; I don't regret being bullied. I feel stronger for having lived through it. I still don't wish it on anyone, but I think a lot of how bullying affects you in the long run is based on how you frame it in your mind. I am not a victim.

February 20, 2014 at 15:37 | Report abuse |
  2. Vincent

It took them this long to figure this out? I have suffered with low self-esteem and a complete lack of confidence my entire life due to the bullying I experienced as a child, it had always caused me problems but eventually in my early 30s I was shocked to actually be diagnosed with PTSD as a result of what I went though. I don't think there is anything that can truly be done about it though, it is nature for the alphas to try and push the rest of the herd down.

February 17, 2014 at 20:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Deej59

First of all, don't mind the trolls. The sad thing is, "Jam The Bully" was probably bullied himself. A lot of victims become trolls because they can be awful to others without fear of scrutiny. Ignore him. Too late for that guy.

I understand what you've been through. PTSD here, too, due to things that should have resulted in jail time to the bullies, but of course didn't. The same problems we faced still exist. Since you can't change human nature, we have to change laws. First and foremost, teachers and administrators have to be held responsible for allowing it to go on. They apparently need to be sued into stopping it when they see it. If a bully never has consequences, he or she will never stop.

February 17, 2014 at 20:49 | Report abuse |
    • reasons

no it didnt "take them this long to figure it out". its taken people this long to conduct robust research. That comes with developing more sophisticated methods of study and growing interest in the field. We see the former in prime areas of inquiry such as cancer treatment. The latter is a constant phenomenon.

February 17, 2014 at 21:13 | Report abuse |
    • joe

I was also bullied all the way through high school. At 64, I was also diagnosed with PTSD. Unlike Vincent, I do have a good self esteem. My problem? If someone starts acting like a bully toward me, something clicks and the next thing I know, I have punched this person out.

February 17, 2014 at 21:46 | Report abuse |
    • Me

I think people, well those conducting studies, are realizing how great an impact our minds play into our overall well being. More so than even realized before. That is why mental health should be just as an important of a topic as physical health.

February 17, 2014 at 21:49 | Report abuse |
    • wondering

Has a 'cure' for PTSD been found yet? I know of people who keep getting bullied because they have PTSD.

February 18, 2014 at 16:41 | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Agreed and the anger and hatred that you have to push down every day takes it's toll.
      Worse is the lashing out verbally at those around you when all of your buttons are pushed, usually for something stupid. Outsiders can never understand the anger and violence that lays just below the surface all all times.

February 19, 2014 at 01:31 | Report abuse |
    • true

People close to you never understand the illness and have a hard time accepting that it is their seemingly 'stupid' thoughtless actions or comments that set off their PTSD 'friend' or relative – so that continues until there is no longer a 'normal' relationship with those people . The circle keeps gettting smaller and smaller until the sidewalks, jails, or the isolated life of the disabled and welfare becomes their only remaining options for survival until dust do you part. Or else they become the doctors, nurses, cops, soldiers, scientists, psychiatrists, ect., ect, that snap and perpetuate their illness on others in repeated unexpected ways – like maiming the brains of others (be it pills or bullets, induced brain death or misdirected hate driven 'care') – the cycles continue. It is said to make society smarter in the long run, but getting there is hell.

February 21, 2014 at 03:26 | Report abuse |
  3. scranton

I assumed by now the bullies would be working for the bullied.

February 17, 2014 at 20:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • G_Edwards

The did a movie about that…..Back to the Future series.

February 17, 2014 at 20:48 | Report abuse |
    • twalk

they still bully.

February 17, 2014 at 22:14 | Report abuse |
    • chiefsadler

Maybe the bullies know one day they'll work for the nerds and figure to have their fun now... but what about rich kid bullies? Maybe deep down they think one day the other kids will be a drain on their resources or raise their taxes, so they want to pre-pay their frustrations....

February 18, 2014 at 00:39 | Report abuse |
  4. pattysboi

In fourth grade, a bully, P, moved into our neighborhood, and made my life HELL for the next four years. P and his toadie, N, took great pleasure in harassing, tripping me, shoving me and chasing me, and not one thing was done about it, even though I told my parents about it.

Fast forward to High School. P and his gang were seen in the boy's gym locker room, harassing, poking at,, shoving, laughing at, and pointing at a developmentally disabled boy's privates. I often wonder what happened to their victim. I hope he's OK. I've no use for P at all now.

February 17, 2014 at 20:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. conoclast

When bullies age they put on years but they don't "mature" in any accepted sense.

They become republicans.

February 17, 2014 at 20:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jam the bully

oh so your on welfare and have ten puppies cause animals cant make fun of you

February 17, 2014 at 20:36 | Report abuse |
    • G_Edwards

Sure.

You mean like the guy who sends more far money to the states who supported his health care plan? Or when he told people to "punish your enemies" – in talking about fellow Americans who disagree with his politics? THAT kind of bullying?

February 17, 2014 at 20:50 | Report abuse |
    • reasons

maybe we can stay productive and not resort of name calling; you know; bullying.

February 17, 2014 at 21:11 | Report abuse |
    • twalk

u got that right. republicans and teabaggers.

February 17, 2014 at 22:15 | Report abuse |
    • Tyrone

This is disgusting. This page is about bullying, not politics. If you want to call people who dont believe in the same things as you bullies, do so on your own terms in places where it would be somewhat appropriate. This will only lead kids looking for help into thinking your way without all the facts.

April 15, 2014 at 23:59 | Report abuse |
  6. Master Blaster

You darn rights it does. I was one of those punching bags in grade school and still remember it's name. I had stomach problems and their favorite things was to hit me there. It would put me to my knees in an instant. The mob was kind of broken up when I hit high school. After taking on a couple of the toughs they decided it was better to leave me alone from then on. There were times I wanted to go after them, but I never did. I wonder what kind of people they are today. My schooling was in the 50s.

February 17, 2014 at 20:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Mopery

When bullies grow up, they become police officers.

February 17, 2014 at 20:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Gatunboy12

I was bullied unmercifully from elementary school through high school by the same idiots. As a consequence, I had no real self esteem or confidence growing up or for most of my life. my parents refused to acknowledge it, my teachers laughed at me, and some even participated in the bullying. I wonder to this day why I didn't commit suicide when I was a teen. It wasn't until I went away to college that I escaped the bast***ds and found people who accepted me. Some 50-60 of us from college still get together every year for reunions. Most of the people I wen to high school with can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

February 17, 2014 at 20:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • bdby

Your story is very similar to mine. Unfortunately, mine continued into college. One night I found myself sitting on the edge of the 20 story dorm I lived in. I don't know how I got there or away from that edge later but something told me to go home to the extension or join the Marines during Vietnam time. I went back to the extension where there I took some time to mature before going back to the main campus at PSU.

February 17, 2014 at 21:04 | Report abuse |
    • Daniela

So sorry about the beginning part of your story (((hugs))) -so happy you made such wonderful connections in college...

February 18, 2014 at 11:11 | Report abuse |
    • Marc Nelson

This happen to me 58 still remember in school parent were not there, they did it at work they new my wife was disabled an had to do the job. time what helps.

February 18, 2014 at 17:00 | Report abuse |
  9. G_Edwards

The "experts" just figured this out????

I worked with a guy who carried a chip on his shoulder from high school bullying even being in his late 40s. Passive-aggressive to the max, and always talking about what he could do IF someone crossed him.

February 17, 2014 at 20:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. myuntidydesk

Of course it does. That is why I have never agreed with the phrase "no one can make you feel inferior without your consent". I never once gave any bully my CONSENT to make me feel bad... they TOOK it from me.

February 17, 2014 at 20:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • reasons

Myuntidydesk: re: your thoughts on "giving consent" to be bullied. I think when people say that they mean to empower you by reminding the person being bullied its ok to stand up for themselves. But of course as you note that narrative backfires. You are 100% right that by definition bullying means someone is acting without your consent ; imposing upon you. Its an issue of power. I hope you and anyone here who's been bullied finds peace and resolution. And those who've builled grow to have remorse and try to make amends at least moving forwards.

February 17, 2014 at 21:10 | Report abuse |
  11. bdby

"Victims of bullying may suffer mental and physical consequences even after bullying occurs, research shows."

I can vouch for that. All through grade and high school it happened quite regularly from just one individual. You people don’t know the damage that thug did to me. My mental processes were disrupted, I couldn’t study or concentrate. Sometimes to this day I still have a hard time remembering things. I was an aspiring academic at that time but with his constant abuse pulled me down into the “C” category for grades. No one at that time wanted to help me when I asked until I marched into my councilor’s office and flat out told her I am going to kill myself. At that time I just came in from another run in with him in the hallway. I am 60 years old now and he is dead and yet he sometimes reaches out of the grave to haunt me. I was glad when I heard that he croaked and if I could find his grave I would leave my “Marking” on it. F$# him. I hope he is burning in hell.

I am not going to apologize how I feel about this subject. This is the first time I had ever vented on this.

February 17, 2014 at 20:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dan

I'm sorry you went through all that with that guy, and High School was hell for me too, and I also have flashbacks about some of the things that happened to me 30 years ago, but at some point, you have let go of the anger and rage, and live your life. That guy did what he did to you because he was a stupid, selfish bully, i. e., a coward, which is what most of them are inside.
      Don't let your hatred and anger of this man(even in his death) ruin your life. It's not worth it.

February 17, 2014 at 21:14 | Report abuse |
    • bdby

Hi Dan,

No he didn't ruin my life in fact he helped me focus ever so much more on any subject I chose to study. Yes I still have those memory problems but I am in the mid 6 figure income plus I travelled the world to exciting places on the government ticket as a contractor. My sentiment will remain the same about him until the day I die though.

February 17, 2014 at 21:19 | Report abuse |
    • joe

There were several boys that bullied me in grade school and high school and they are also all dead :)

February 17, 2014 at 21:54 | Report abuse |
  12. Kathy

The person who bullied me in school got her just reward. She died in a car accident. KARMA - GOOD BYE & GOOD RIDDANCE, you miserable B.

February 17, 2014 at 21:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Daniela

Wow -ok -um -maybe some therapy for you? I get that bullying can really mess with a persons life, but you've taken it to a new level.

February 18, 2014 at 11:11 | Report abuse |
  13. sue

I believe that bullying begins at home. Bullies learn their trade at home from moms, dads and older siblings who belittle and berate them. As the victim of a brother who bullied me the entire time I was growing up, this trauma doesn't stop when many children off the school bus ... that's when it begins. We must address parents and the home as the source of bullying.

February 17, 2014 at 21:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Sam the Sham

Had two big horns and a wooly jaw

wooly bully, wooly bully

Bullys and their victims are needed..........who else wants to be a cop

February 17, 2014 at 21:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. brian

These "researchers" belabor the obvious.

February 17, 2014 at 21:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

Totally disagree....you can't talk about this enough................

February 17, 2014 at 22:18 | Report abuse |
  16. Lila

Parents are the worst bullies, it's not like you can get away from them until you're 18. Even then, to have any family relationships, the adult child will still have to endure it.

February 17, 2014 at 22:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Daniela

Yup -not only did I have bullies at school -I had to deal with my adoptive parents -mother who was emotionally abusive and father who was an authoritarian mess. Threats of violence towards my body at every chance -and followed up by the real deal many times. I sometimes feel my life has really been nothing but a huge mistake. In every way. It is very sad actually. I have made it in life I suppose and always kept moving on and striving -but I'm a fragile child inside at my adult age.

February 18, 2014 at 11:14 | Report abuse |
    • DeGracia

So what's your solution, pass them olf to the state? That worked well for others in the past...like Hitler, Stalin, Mao...

February 23, 2014 at 11:58 | Report abuse |
  17. Darrell

All those researchers were probably nerds who got bullied at school. Now they're just drumming up these fake studies to vindicate themselves. Got news for you, eggheads, you're still weak and uncool.

February 17, 2014 at 22:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • twalk

bet u were a bullies and still are a bully. Without nerds you would not be typing on a computer or surfing the net.

February 17, 2014 at 22:13 | Report abuse |
    • John

Here's hoping Darrell sees a barrell

February 17, 2014 at 22:20 | Report abuse |
    • Daniela

Um...right...anyone with the name Darrell wasn't brutally bullied...give me a break.

February 18, 2014 at 11:14 | Report abuse |
    • Tyrone

Just uncalled for. Have some self-eseem Darrell, you obviously needed to assert the fact that you are "cooler" than some scientists who wrote a paper. Congratulations, I hope that you feel better about yourself now.

April 16, 2014 at 00:12 | Report abuse |
  18. twalk

being bullied affects never entirely goes away. As we have seen from the Christie scandal there are bullied in our adult life. What goes around comes back around.

February 17, 2014 at 22:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. MC Steve

As many others posting here, I was bullied all throughout my school years as a child and young adult. It really does rob you of your confidence and feelings of self worth. I put it at the feet of my babysitter though from when I was very young child. He molested me and perverted me, and so I had this weird interest in sexual things by the time I got to grade school. I can only assume that talking about those things alienated the other children and made me a target for their bullying. The worst thing of is that I felt guilty the whole time because I couldn't remember it happening so I thought I must have lied and got some nice people in trouble. I only found out that wasn't the case AFTER I was an adult and I brought it up to my mom. She set me straight, she told me about how they found out, and about how terrified I was to be around those people, about how the psychiatrist that interviewed me said that I experienced all these classic symptoms of a child that had been sexually abused. I'd forgotten everything. Looking back though I can certainly see how it completely warped the course of my life. My story just illustrates how child molesters aren't just getting their rocks off...they're damaging children in a way that might affect them for the rest of their lives.

Back on topic though, I've come to the conclusion that bullying is so engrained in our society that hoping to stop it would be completely futile. Instead I'd like to see programs that work on identifying individuals who are suffering from bullying and finding ways to combat it's negative psychological affects and build these children back up.

February 17, 2014 at 22:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. puddintane

Whats the modern solution? Legalize dope and let everyone smoke some

February 17, 2014 at 22:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Miguel Caron

My response to this article was "No, duh"

I was subject to intense bullying after I moved to Quebec and was not able to speak french. Children from the french sector of my mixed school beat me for not being able to speak to them and I was designated a target for bullying which encouraged people from my sector (Who were still french, but attended english classes due to having a parent educated in english at some point) to bully me as well. It did not help that I excelled in classwork even skipping a grade further singling myself out as a nerd and a person to abuse.

By the time I reached high school I was receiving almost daily beatings by people I barely knew who were two grades ahead of me. At one point I was put into a sleeper hold, lost consciousness and was dragged off school property where they stomped me in an alley while my friends stood nearby powerless to do anything. I remember the incident vividly as I had an out-of-body-experience during it, which is in reality a side-effect of the brain being starved of oxygen. The school seemed completely impotent the entire time despite being aware of it and multiple complaints from my parents.

Just before my sixteenth birthday I snapped and started fighting my aggressors, but the end result saw me being punished more harshly than the people beating me. This only compounded my frustration and my belief there is very little justice in this world.

I am now 27 years old, and despite being married and trying to move on with my life I am still haunted by what I experienced and it affects me to this day. I feel like a part of the fundamental core of who I am – or was – has been damaged and will never be quite the same.

February 17, 2014 at 23:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Zeta

Bullying is never OK and I can see where there might be lasting results for some, but the true is that after becoming an adult you should know that you need to seek help if you are still living in the past. Why continue to let the childhood bullies win by carrying hate, anxiety, and or low self-esteem. You're no longer being bullied so stop being a victim....you CAN do something about your mental health. No one is stopping you now. Look to your employer do they have EPA benefits? Look to your community? Is there affordable counseling anywhere? Look to your family, a pastor, a good friend...just DO something instead of staying that hurt child inside.

February 17, 2014 at 23:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • wondering

Do you think anyone actually helps anyone else with mental effects from bullying? Like with PTSD, do you think anyone with PTSD actually gets any 'help' from anyone?

February 18, 2014 at 16:56 | Report abuse |
  23. Surthurfurd

Our society has a low tolerance for bullying; but, tends to be more apt to demand that the victim be the one who changes. We laud bullies for political candidates and heads of business because we see them as productive; yet, we claim we oppose bullying. In schools there are often signs "Bully Free Zone!" which often really means.. free to bully zone .. since the parents of bullies often have far more power in school than those who run the school.
    Another myth that persists in society is the bully is often a victim of something. This allows people to fall for the bully's natural skill at manipulating those in power.

February 17, 2014 at 23:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. OldAsDirt

I was bullied in 8th grade. Get over it. There's jerks and thugs everywhere, it's part of life, and you don't need to be with them forever.

February 17, 2014 at 23:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. joejmauro

America has always had groups of people they loved to bullly who lived among us.Blacks,hispanics,asians women ,muslims and gays all took turns being denied basic human and legal rights ,now all of these groups have major individual legal and political clout so it is no longer cool to openly laugh at them without repercussions.However 20 million mentally and or physically challenged have no such power,so we are the largest gtoup getting buullied, ,harrased and murdered,Yet even the POTUS laughs at us in public,making it not only socially acceptable to hate us but it is encouraged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 18, 2014 at 00:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • wondering

That's what I have seen. If you get mentally ill from bullying and ask for help, you get bullied even more and told to not be sick – even though you are.

February 18, 2014 at 16:58 | Report abuse |
  26. davecu

At 12 years old I met Kevin S, Dick W, and Henry G. Life as I knew changed.
    I stopped growing emotionally and withdrew into my own mind. I've never been
    comfortable with myself since.
    I could have handled it better but I was 12. I knew nothing.
    53 years later I'm still surprised that I can remember those 3 mutts names. I would
    have thought I could let it go my now. That the 'experts' are just now seeing
    linkage
    Oh well..

February 18, 2014 at 00:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Daniela

I'm very sorry...(((hugs)))...wish I could take some of the pain away

February 18, 2014 at 11:16 | Report abuse |
  27. swampraider

I was bullied by my teacher and students 1st through 4th grade. (at a hippie waldorf private school...no less). Then when I hit public school I was bullied becasue I hit puberty before everyone else..and I was..well you know..it gets different. THEN in middle school I was picked on and bullied due to my weight. In high school I was looked at as weird and made fun of due to weight. After junior year, I lost 85 pounds and became a health nut...WAS STILL BULLIED.No dances, no girlfriends, no prom. So, I retreated to the world of ONLINE GAMING, and have many friends from across the world.

February 18, 2014 at 07:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Dani

I wish this weren't true, but I know it is. I was bullied badly by a group of girls from 3rd grade till I graduated High School. My teachers knew and didn't care. I blame them to some extent for never stepping in and trying to stop it. If the teachers had cared at all, the bullying wouldn't have taken place in the open ALL OF THE TIME. Because it was so accepted, other kids, the kids who really weren't bullies, sort of participated just because it was pretty much the social norm of the school to call me names and hit me. I had no friends. I didn't talk to my parents about it because I was so humiliated. I didn't want them to know. I left high school afraid to talk to or interact with people because I expected to be called a name or belittled or hit. Thank god for college. People were nice and my friends were popular. My best friend even ended up as the college homecoming queen. Because I was able to make friends in college, I started to heal. However, I was definitely the shy wierd girl of the group. I never felt comfortable. I never got drunk or let go. That sounds good but it isn't, because it shows my trust issues. I rarely dated because I never felt safe. Now, 20 years after college, I do sort of feel like I've mostly healed. I still have bad trust issues, but I can at least speak to people without fear. I wish I ould have felt this comfortable with myself when I was younger.

February 18, 2014 at 09:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. STYWRTY3452345

THE BUSH TRUK REAP TO D.I.A. SATELITAL IDIOTS.

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQpgiorg.blog.comQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

February 18, 2014 at 09:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Daniela

So so true...I'm 43 and still feel the pain of a neighbor girl that spared no expense at making me understand how fat I was. She teased me constantly. On top of that I suffer from trichotillomania (hair pulling) and lived through that hell. The best part is we are friends on facebook now -for whatever reason -and she made a post the other day that she was a victim of being bullied in school -it took every bone in my body not to write a reply to her but I'm the bigger person. This was not my only bully but the effects do last...do not doubt that for one minute. Get your mean girls especially under control.

February 18, 2014 at 11:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Daniela

Part of the problem is parents wanting their kids to be with other certain types of kids -that they feel are "worthy". This trickles down to the kid -who then easily can identify anyone not in this preferred group. Life is so sad to me...

February 18, 2014 at 11:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Crocky

I was bullied quite a bit when I was younger, and for the most part, I have let go, forgiven and forgotten. The only one that sticks out like a sore thumb is a fairly major recording artist whom I grew up with and made 7th grade a living hell for me. I'm usually fine and dandy, but when her name comes up (she'll be performing in the city I currently live in this summer, so it's been coming up a lot lately), it brings me back to that awkward 12 year old that I was all those years ago. I don't begrudge her success, but I just wish I didn't have to hear her name so much.

February 18, 2014 at 12:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Melissa

I was horribly bullied growing up by classmates. You never forget. But I will tell you that I would never put up with the same treatment now that I did then.

February 18, 2014 at 12:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Jane Goldberg

What's preventing those public schools for making anti-bullying part of the curriculum- especially Lower Merion Township

February 18, 2014 at 13:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. codenine75a

Some people kill bullies. Do you want to know who does? Bull fighters!

February 18, 2014 at 14:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Chris

Please understand that I say this as someone who was bullied through junior high. I was almost a year younger and (even as an average height adult, I have yet to crack 140lbs. . .so imagine me at twelve.) It was verbal and physical, and it was daily. The schools always listened to my reports; but nothing ever happened. Now twenty-five years later and with experience. . .I realize- THAT'S LIFE!

Don't get me wrong, when it gets to the point where children are terrorized, afraid to go to school/activities, that's where a line needs to be drawn. . .but we've gotten to a point where everything is bullying and must be responded to as such. Because of this, our kids are not learning how to handle bullying situations, which are everywhere. We're creating a generation of helpless young adults. Go buy a car- the salesman will attempt to bully you into a purchase that day. Sit in an office meeting – the alpha personality will attempt to bully you into their point of view. Fly somewhere – the TSA agents will bully you into submission. Get a call from a bill collector – they'll attempt to bully you into costly payment structure.

Now if you've never seen this before, then their bullying tactics will work. But, if we teach our kids how to confront, when to stand their ground, and when to regroup; then that's a lesson for life. I can't guarantee that my children won't ever be bullied. I can make sure that they learn from it.

February 18, 2014 at 16:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • wondering

Did you find that your kids started getting in trouble for sticking up for themselves, and in turn got labeled bullys because of it?

February 18, 2014 at 17:23 | Report abuse |
  37. Mom

If you've been bullied even once, that sticks with you. You will grow up feeling worthless, and like a fraud, in a lot of what you do. A child does not forget. It becomes a part of you. They don't need studies to prove this!

February 18, 2014 at 16:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. kill thyself

Through early morning for I see
    Visions of the things to be
    The pains that are withheld for me
    I realise that I can see

That suicide is painless
    It brings so many changes
    And I can take or leave them if I please

The game of life is hard to play
    I'm gonna lose it anyway
    The losing card of some delay
    So this is all I have to say

That suicide is painless
    It brings so many changes
    And I can take or leave them if I please

The sword of time will pierce our skin
    It doesn't hurt when it begins
    But as it works its way on in
    The pain grows stronger watch I bring

That suicide is painless
    It brings so many changes
    And I can take or leave them if I please

A brave man once requested me
    To answer questions that are key
    Is it to be or not to be
    And I replied oh why ask me

That suicide is painless
    It brings so many changes
    And I can take or leave them if I please

February 18, 2014 at 16:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. antoniodelaossa

Being bullied as a child will ruin your life. It did mine.

February 18, 2014 at 17:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • DeGracia

That's probably a complete and total lie, whether you actually know it or not. Several things influence your life, including yourself. I suggest looking into a mirror for more than making yourself look presentable.

February 23, 2014 at 12:01 | Report abuse |
  40. Mike O'Donnell

I was bullied as well. When you are thirteen, 6' 3" and 120 lbs, not much you can do. But you know what, I grew up. I am a working, tax paying, law abiding citizen. Did it hurt back then? Of course. Does it matter now? I do not think so.

February 18, 2014 at 17:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Jerry

I was bullied and let me tell you it runined my life. It left me with low self esteem, and a lack of confidence that resulted in my inability to make any social contacts and has left me in my 30s without any friends as well as being single and without a clue of how to attract somehow of the opposite sex.
    I sit home without a thing to do on most weekends because I have no social life and has left me thinking of myself as a loser and a failure.

February 18, 2014 at 20:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Mark

That was a really poorly conducted sample of people

February 18, 2014 at 21:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. confessionsofthebullied

Teach kids to love and respect themselves and others at a young age, and the lessons will be easier to reinforce down the road. There is this really good children's book I bought for my daughter that will kick off dialogue between parents and their kids, called ThE FLYERS AND THE CRAWLERS. It deals with bullying in a way that I love by focusing on bullying prevention at a preschool level, when bullying actually begins. Anytime I hear anything about bullying, I'm going to always recommend this book, or others like it. http://www.amazon.com/Flyers-Crawlers-Book-Bullies-Buggin-ebook/dp/B00EAAEP8Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392831784&sr=8-1&keywords=the+flyers+and+the+crawlers Open dialogue between parents and children is crucial at any age, even before kids can talk!

February 19, 2014 at 12:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. confessionsofthebullied

Teach kids to love and respect themselves and others at a young age, and the lessons will be easier to reinforce down the road. There is this really good children's book that does just that called THE FLYERS AND THE CRAWLERS. By focusing on bullying prevention at a preschool level when this behavior actually begins, I used this book to open a dialogue with my daughter by discussing a story that she loves. http://www.amazon.com/Flyers-Crawlers-Book-Bullies-Buggin-ebook/dp/B00EAAEP8Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392831784&sr=8-1&keywords=the+flyers+and+the+crawlers I will ALWAYS recommend this book to anyone, or any book similar to it, becuase open dialogue between parents and children at every age is the key to preventing or stemming negative behaviors or fostering postive ones.

February 19, 2014 at 12:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Julie Waite

I don't normally comment on these articles; however, there have been 2 children who have committed suicide in the past month in my local area due to bullying. We need to not only focus on the children who are being bullied, but we need to start teaching children, who could potentially be the bully, what it can ultimately lead to!

February 20, 2014 at 09:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Hurt

I would murder every last person who bullied me if it wasn't for prison, without remorse.

March 18, 2014 at 01:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. K

"If a child responded to of the six questions related to victimization with "about once a week""...

Two of the six questions?

March 27, 2014 at 14:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. larson

obviously bullying has a tole on a persons behavior or personality. i don't believe that a parents yearly income is relevant to the study. bullying is not going to stop not even in adult hood. their will always be a bully. people need to be aware of the extremes that someone will go to to get away from the life of being bullied. the physical affects will always be their when someone is bullied. the metal and psychological affect start to set in when the victim has had enough and nothing is being done about it. Principals and Administration need to start taking action many DON'T .

March 31, 2014 at 00:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Pami

Bullying is painful but the lack of proper support and recognition from your family friends and perhaps school or work is the hardest part.You are damned if you do battle it and damned if you dont.. the best thing about it is that you could TEACH A BULLY not to bully so when they grow up to be an adult in San Quentin prison they dont make their own gang laws after not following civil laws.. HAHAHA

April 8, 2014 at 15:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Gatunboy12

You are obviously one of thos heartless bullies nobody wants to have anything to do with after high school.

February 17, 2014 at 20:47 | Report abuse | Reply