home
RSS
U.S. women having fewer children
December 6th, 2013

U.S. women having fewer children

New numbers out from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reveal that fewer women in the United States are having children.

Between 2000 and 2009, pregnancy rates for U.S. women fell by 12%, or nearly 6.4 million pregnancies. The pregnancy rate is the lowest it has been in 12 years.

In fact, the rates for teenage pregnancy reached historic lows in 2009, for all three major race groups: non-Hispanic whites, non-Hispanic blacks and Hispanic teenagers. In 2009, there were 39% fewer teen pregnancies than the 1991 peak rate of 61.8 teen pregnancies for every 1,000 teens.

"Research suggests that more teens are delaying initiating sex, waiting longer to have sex," said Rachel Jones, a senior research associate with the Guttmacher Institute, who was not associated with the study.

"More teens are using more contraceptives and using more effective methods of contraception," Jones said.

But while pregnancy rates for women younger than 30 fell, rates for women older than 30 have increased steadily since 1990. In fact, the number of women between the ages of 35 to 39 becoming pregnant has jumped by 30% since 1990.

"The expectation is that women in their 30s have considered career and education, delaying childbirth till their 30s, so they're making a conscientious decision to become pregnant and have a baby," Jones said.

Abortion rates overall have also dropped since 1990. There were 32% fewer abortions in 2009 than in 1990. The biggest drop was seen in the number of teen abortions. The rate of teen abortions in 2009 was less than one-half the rate it was in 1990.

"A lot of effort and lot of money have been spent on reducing teen pregnancy, and it shows that you can make a change... that when you put the effort in," said Jones.

The CDC also came out with birth rates for the past year. Between June 2012 and June 2013, nearly 4 million children were born. While the number of births has been dropping steadily since 2007, the number of children born this year remained steady since the previous year.

1. Jeb

Let the rich have all of the children since they are the only ones that can afford them any more.

December 6, 2013 at 11:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Laura

Unfortunately, that's not what's happening. The poor are popping them out like candy. The rich and educated are having less and less kids.

December 6, 2013 at 11:23 | Report abuse |
    • GenYer

It is sad that it has come to this kind of thinking.

December 6, 2013 at 11:29 | Report abuse |
    • The Rich get Richer and

It hasn't "come to this." It's always been this way. Study history. "The rich get richer and the poor get children". Just search that line for starters. This isn't new. I agree with the above, and have an addendum. If you have ONE child you can't afford, you get support... if you have another child, you don't. Rewarding irresponsible behavior by continuing to pay is ridiculous. I'd prefer the poor not have children at all (if you can't feed your baby, yeah yeah, then don't have a baby, yeah yeah, and don't think, "Maybe", yeah yeah, if you can't feed your baby)... but they won't stop, so we have to stop paying for them.

December 6, 2013 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

Even birds have enough sense to know you have to build the nest before you lay the eggs. People that have children that they can't afford to raise in a reasonable manner until age 18 are committing child abuse. This article is the best news I have read in a long, long time! 100% of our environmental problems trace back to overpopulation and the pollution it causes.

December 6, 2013 at 13:55 | Report abuse |
    • Tim

Who will fight the wars if there are no poor children?

December 6, 2013 at 14:21 | Report abuse |
    • Poor

@Tim – Good on ya, Tim. Not only will no one be available to fight their wars, but the rich "educated" folks seem to forget that should the population of the poor and middle class ever drop down too low, they'll step outside of their condo and nothing will be running or moving...

December 6, 2013 at 14:36 | Report abuse |
    • Schmedley

This would obviously never fly in the US, but in Singapore if one parent has a college education, the government gives some sort of bonus or tax break if you have children. If both parents are college-educated, the bonus is doubled.

December 6, 2013 at 15:03 | Report abuse |
    • rip mlp

the only reason people believe it is expensive to have children is because of the status quo and the media. We would not be here today if it was not for our ancestors who had kids despite their lack of health care, good schools and fancy plastic toys. It is said that every civilization rose to prominence with a high average child per family ratio, and when these civilizations fell, they had a very low child per family ratio. The only reason people claim its to expensive to have kids is because they are covering up the fact that they are selfish little kids who don't want to alter their lifestyles whatsoever.it is your patriotic duty to bear fruit and multiply. the rest of the world is going to inherit everything that we have done and they will not be kind to us once they grab the controls. I believe that if you don't have kids you should only be allowed half a vote on political elections. you who have no children have absolutely nothing invested in the future of this country and the rest of us should not be forced to live in your ideological utopia. furthermore we should not be dictated by people who have no future when we are the caretakers of the future of our country.

December 6, 2013 at 15:08 | Report abuse |
    • indiggo

Its not that the poor are just popping out babies so they can get more money, its because resources for the poor to NOT have a baby are not readily available. The rich don't have to worry about birth control, cause even if its not covered by their insurance, they can afford the $30-$40 a month for the pill or other methods. The poor don't always have access to low cost doctors or birth control methods. Before you start blaming the poor for wanting more kids to get more welfare money, you can blame our horrible healthcare system and conservative Christians who are against birth control of any kind, including ones that are completely covered by insurance, or have complete access for them in clinics.

December 6, 2013 at 15:28 | Report abuse |
  2. allan

Outstanding news. Too many darn people out there folks. Have you seen the traffic lately?

December 6, 2013 at 11:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ricky

That is only because our public transportation systems suck. You could actually fit the whole population on planet earth in Texas, with just a few well designed modern mega-cities. We just waste too much and produce too much garbage, but there is no risk of overpopulation.

December 6, 2013 at 11:38 | Report abuse |
    • Pest

Sure, Rick, let's live even more like sardines. It will be a blast!

Better yet, wait for the infrastructure to catch up, and then maybe think about deemphasizing overpopulation concerns. Until then, your thinking is just a case of, "if things weren't the way they are, then they'd be different."

December 6, 2013 at 11:44 | Report abuse |
    • Scott

@Ricky – that whole "everyone could live in Texas and be happy" argument is now outdated and lame. So I guess if you also crammed the associated pollution, poverty, and greenhouse gasses into that same Texas space, then that would be paradise, right? You're not going to migrate everyone into that space, and you're not going to change the basic politics around the world. Please stop breeding.

December 6, 2013 at 11:49 | Report abuse |

Agree 100%!

December 6, 2013 at 13:56 | Report abuse |
    • Ross

@Ricky: you seem to forget the very obvious topic of how much space it takes to grow resources for each person to live decently. Field for food, farms for cattle, not to mention the space needed to produce the energy and potable water that each person needs. Yeah, maybe you can pack everyone like sardines in a texas size territory, but it will still take the full planet to produce resources, and it is already not enough. Studies from Jane Goodall show that it would take about 6 earths to produce enough resource for everyone on the planet to be able to live like the average US person

December 6, 2013 at 14:52 | Report abuse |
  3. Patrick_P

I think it's great that we are getting away from a kid-focused, "breeder" society. Now, if we can just get the women that have kids as an incentive for not working a job to contribute to the economy like a good citizen should, then get government to stop subsidizing their kids' care, that would be even better. I'm not saying let these kids do without care, just deliver there care, school and nutrition without paying the parent(s) cash money to do so.

Before anyone thinks I'm a kid-hater, I am a single dad of two adopted children from American foster care. Please, think of adopting those children in need before pumping out a brand-new copy of yourself or adopting from a foreign country. There are plenty of children right here in America that are in dire need of your help, and would love to have you as a parent. We have a responsibility as a society to take care of our own, and sadly it's not getting done. I see plenty of pet rescue commercials on tv, where are the kid rescue commercials?

December 6, 2013 at 11:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mel

Right on Patrick_P! That is what I am hoping to be able to do. I'm in my mid-thirties, engaged to be married and thus I'm getting tremendous pressure to have kids. Everyone thinks it's so crazy when I tell them I want to adopt once we are financially stable.

December 6, 2013 at 12:35 | Report abuse |
    • Patrick_P

@Mel – thank you for your excellent point of view and sense of social responsibility! Bearing children is not for every woman, and for those that want kids anyway, adoption is the way to go. That said, there does seem to be a stigma about adopting vs. birthing: Families and friends get so wound up during a pregnancy and treat the biological children like they are so much more desirable than adopted kids. For example, don't expect baby showers or fawning over your adopted kids like would happen over biological children. Adopted children are still considered as outsiders to the extended "family" by most because they do not share family genes. Very, very sad situation. My advice would be to adopt as young as possible, and do not let anyone know they are not your biological children if possible.

December 6, 2013 at 12:59 | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

You may not be a kid hater, but where is the man's responsibility in all this? It takes two to make a child. I think you have a chauvinism problem. It's usually the guy that wants s*x and will say or do anything to get it, then takes off as soon as he has what he wants. Men need to be made equally responsible financially, whichbesides paying for his half of the mess with the expense of the child, should also include paying for child care so the woman can go to work like you say she should, and paying for someone to help with the housework since there is no man around to give her a hand. Women are not slaves to serve men!

December 6, 2013 at 14:00 | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Did you seriously just recommend hiding the fact that a child was adopted from them? As an adoptee AND birthmother I am shocked... lying to a kid their entire childhood is a great way to set them up for serious mental issues when they grow up. Secrets have a way of coming out. Yes, it's true that as an adopted child I wasn't always treated like "one of the family" by certain extended relatives, but I'd much rather deal with that then find out as an older child or an adult that I'm adopted and my parents kept it from me.

December 6, 2013 at 14:41 | Report abuse |
    • rip mlp

me and my two sisters where adopted and if you think that it is just like having your own kids you are mistaken. i have three kids now and i realize that my relationship with my parents was lacking a deeper meaning. when your kids are apart of you and you see yourself in them that is a real connection to god. when you adopt kids you are just a benefactor that is real close to the real thing but not quite a parent. your adopted kids will see the difference right away when they witness their friends families and how they interact. you who can have kids should for your own sake. if you can not have kids then adopt.

December 6, 2013 at 15:22 | Report abuse |
    • Patrick_P

@Burbank: Where do you get the idea from anything I've said that I'm a chauvinist? It may take two to make a child, but it only takes one to raise one, as undesirable as that situation may be. All I am promoting is adopting over having your own baby, whether married or not. As far as women working, my point was that certain women should work to afford their children instead of not marrying or holding the child's father responsible in order to qualify for and expecting to live off the proceeds from the government. I did not mean women who are caught in a situation where they were abandoned by the children's father; absolutely the father should be responsible to his children. In fact, I raised my children by myself after they were abandoned by their mother! Without child support or government assistance.

@Sarah: I never said lie to the children about being adoptees. Read my post again. I said keep it from as many others outside the immediate family as possible because number one, it is nobody else's business, and number two, they will see and treat the kids differently. I never lied to my children about being adopted, and I do wish I had not been so open about it with others. Nothing you said changes my opinion about that.

@rip mip: I resent the fact that you think I am just a benefactor to my kids and not a "real" parent, and that I don't love them in the same way a biological parent could love their children. We do not share the same DNA but I guarantee that's the only difference in our relationship vs. a biological family. In fact, I have seen many biological parents that could not give a rip about their own kids. I am sorry your family obviously treated you and your siblings differently than other biological children, but not all families(parents) are like that.

December 6, 2013 at 17:58 | Report abuse |
  4. GenYer

We are not having children because of many different reasons. Some reasons are that it is far to expensive to raise a child in this economy, the education system is terrible right now and not showing any improvement and we are putting other things like careers, finances and marital relationships ahead of having children. There is also those of us that just do not want kids. I personally enjoy not having kids and I do not want any. It has nothing to do with which gender is better than the other, imo. Advances made in family planning/education in the last 20 years have also contributed, I am sure.

December 6, 2013 at 11:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. tm1946

Wow, strange article. Men do not stick around, a common thing in the black culture. For years the white culture has been trying to copy that life style. Guess they made it.

Women want control of their bodies, that mean they can get al the sex they heard men are having with no fear of pregnancy. Then the "guilt" of whites over everything perceived bad in our entire history. Hispanic America does not seem to have an issue and Afro Americans have made themselves their own separate culture.

Lastly, like it or not, women want it both ways and biologically cannot. Population drops.

December 6, 2013 at 11:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • GenYer

Whaaa? : /

December 6, 2013 at 11:28 | Report abuse |
    • Bhawk1

Its the same with all groups of people. I saw it every day as a school teacher for 40 yrs. Men and women sleep around and have kids-go back and look at the all white soap operas of by gone years. Songs/movies of by gone years –nothing has changed and its just more known and not the dirty little secrets in families. Making divorce easier has changed much of it.

December 6, 2013 at 11:32 | Report abuse |
    • Nicole Chardenet

You say that as though it's a bad thing. With over 300 million overconsuming Americans, the last thing we need is any more.

I'm one of those women who never had children, by choice.

You're welcome. 🙂

December 6, 2013 at 12:51 | Report abuse |
  6. Pest

To the people who think before breeding, I thank you.

December 6, 2013 at 11:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bhawk1

And so many want to outlaw birth control meds–more population into the religion is the plan of many who oppose birth control. Make it grow and become powerful. The large families live with little and pray that God will improve their lives and guess who controls the pathway to God-their church.

December 6, 2013 at 11:36 | Report abuse |
    • Nicole Chardenet

You're welcome. 🙂

December 6, 2013 at 12:52 | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

I agree. Like Nicole, I'm also a woman that did not have children by choice because I could see all the trouble that was coming from overpopulation. I'm 63 now and still do not regret the decision I made at 18.

December 6, 2013 at 14:05 | Report abuse |
  7. BOB

for the fun of it see how many are having kids on welfare and goverment money.. compared to the women who pay for there kids if you can not AFFORD THEM THEN DON'T HAVE THEM. THEY ARE A GIFT. not a bank account

December 6, 2013 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nicole Chardenet

Then back subsidized birth control – not just for the poor, but for *everybody*! Because the alternative is everyone needs to stop having sex. Like THAT'S gonna happen. The Catholic Church has been preaching THAT loser message for 2,000 years. Hasn't stopped anyone from having sex including their own priests.

And yeah, I know the conservatives and religionists will squeal like a pig over that suggestion. Fact & reality: People WILL have sex, whether they can afford children or not. If you want fewer welfare kids, make birth control available to *everyone* – extremely affordably, if not free.

Yeah, I don't expect conservanuts to listen.

December 6, 2013 at 12:55 | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

I think it has gotten to the point where people should have to get a license to have children. The requirements should be financial ability to raise one in a reasonable manner until age 18 and to also complete a course in child rearing. Having children is a privelege, not a right, because there is much more at stake than just the parent's agenda for having one.

December 6, 2013 at 14:07 | Report abuse |
  8. Bhawk1

The comments on here just show how little Americans know about the relationship of population to economics. This economy is based on a 3% population growth which in turns requires a 3% inflation rate. A 30 yr loan means that by the time you get to the end of the mortgage or bond or note the value of the money has fallen and the loan repayment is a bargain. Companies should be responding by increasing output and employees by 3% over that time period. The problem of course is the out source the jobs and "maximize the profit" with less supply in comparison to more demand. In the long run they will cause a greater rate of inflation and devalue the dollar at a faster rate. If population and business returned to the 3% foundation it would produce a stable economy. To fuel it back up we need people–immigrants –the reason no one wants to stop illegal immigration. Its good campaign speak poor economic policy.

December 6, 2013 at 11:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Burbank

That's just plain crazy and short-sighted. If we don't get the world's population down by a few billion and soon, there will not be an economy to worry about. These out of control breeders are running all of us over a cliff! If we don't have a healthy planet, none of the rest of this will matter! We need to just tough it out for several generations until we get the population down to a suistainable level. We have thrown the entire planet out of balance for Chrissake!

December 6, 2013 at 14:11 | Report abuse |
  9. way too many

I am the oldest kid of a family of 13. I am a girl. Growing up in poverty, everything has happened to us: teen pregnancy, drug abuse, rape, sexual abuse by relatives, boyfriends' physical and emotional abuse, anorexia, hunger, mental illness, disease and finally a suicide. I can write a book about it and it would be wonderful and horrifying at the same time. My mother says she never thought of the future. She just kept on having children because my father wanted it (for the life of me: he was an educated man!). She wouldn't listen to the rest of the family. Now, that we are all adults living difficult lives, she regrets it because she can see what her carelessness has done to our possibilities. There are still mental health problems. Some of us went to college and have better lives. Some did not finish high school. Some have no children. Most of us have one. We all, in one way or another, carry emotional scars. Some of us got divorced. Some are raising their children alone. Most of us, girls, don't see marriage as a safe place to be at all. It was traumatizing, unnecessarily huge. It is difficult to feel happy even today because there is always a sibling going through something serious. We can't catch a break. So we have developed a sense of humor that has become an essential surviving skill, a coping mechanism. We know we are a lost generation. Most of us will never achieve our dreams – even the basic one, like owning a home – because to just have survived is already an unbelievable feat. But no: never again. Sadly, my father was the one who found my 26-year old brother hanging by his neck in his bedroom. My father, always one full of life, died years later, having aged faster than the speed of light. Our feeling is that, in that moment alone, he realized what his oversized ego had done. And, of course, there was no way back.

December 6, 2013 at 11:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steve

You should write a book if indeed your story is true. My mom was one of 10 kids. Parents were farmers. They weren't rich but they couldn't have had a more loving family. No divorces, very close. When my grandmother lived in an assisted living facility one lady said she wished she would've had more kids because my grandmother always had loved ones around her. The people who are so worried about the population on here don't seem to want to volunteer to leave the world, but want someone else to not be here. And Americans everwhelming fear of death keeps people trying anything to hang on longer. Poverty is lot more complex an issue than just the number of kids in a family. Not to glorify true poverty, but Americans could sure learn to do more with less. I have friends with so much junk they have to rent storage space because it won't fit in their house

December 6, 2013 at 11:42 | Report abuse |
    • way too many

Steve, my story is true.

December 6, 2013 at 11:46 | Report abuse |
    • jan

In reading your comment, I feel like I am reading about myself. I am the 3rd youngest of 10. My family has faced most of the same issues with the exception of the suicide (sorry for your loss). My father died young of a heart attack (40), and my family being deeply religious did not believe in contraceptives or even discussing sex. Incest, rape, depression and mental illness is throughout. Financial responsibility was not taught. As adults, we still struggle with trust and good decision making. For some of us, finally, we are getting it right. I have preached to my children about the things I feel I lacked as a child – contraceptives, consequences, responsibility and financial saavy. Now none of them (4) want kids of their own (for now). It can take generations to wipe clean one bad decision.

December 6, 2013 at 12:03 | Report abuse |
    • BOB

steve you said it all you lived on a farm whole diffrent life

December 6, 2013 at 12:05 | Report abuse |
    • Agrav8td

Sorry to hear you've had a tough life. But people with money can live messed up lives too.

December 6, 2013 at 12:42 | Report abuse |
    • Blueangel

You are just describing life in general! It's not because you had a big family nessesarily. In ANY group of 13 people you will have all of those things.

December 6, 2013 at 13:54 | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

Thank you for your post. I agree, that big families are not good for children no matter how much denial the family is in. ("We were poor but there was a lot of love.") What is really closer to the truth is that children in big families grow up without getting enough individual attention and the older ones get "parentalized" by being made to help out and miss a good deal of their own childhoods. What really happens is a lot of dysfuntion goes on. My mother was number 8 in a family of 10 and ended up being an abusive nut job to her own children, one of my aunts committed suicide, and most of them were damaged in some way from coming from a huge (and poor from tway oo many kids) family.

December 6, 2013 at 14:19 | Report abuse |
    • bearitstrong

"I am the oldest kid of a family of 13."

About 11 too many kids.

December 6, 2013 at 14:34 | Report abuse |
    • Angie

Is anyone really financially able to care for every need of their child? Does money really make all the difference? Sure, many of us think that by both parents working 60 hours a week and living in a huge house where we each have our own rooms and living areas and having the nicest cars and all the latest styles that we are "taking care of our own children". Yet many of those same children spend most of their lives with others caring for them emotionally as they grow up in daycare, babysitting, preschool, etc. Can that be definited as "caring" for our children? I am a stay at home mother of four children. I have a college degree in business with a license in financial planning yet I chose to step out of the workforce for a period of time so that I could be the one to teach my children their colors and their numbers and to read. I am the one teaching them morals and I am the one kissing them when they are hurt. In exchange, we live in a smaller home, drive two older cars, and buy our clothes second hand. But I could argue that my kids are very happy and well-adjusted despite the fact that they don't always have the newest and best of everything. Because again, "caring" for children goes so far beyond finances.

December 6, 2013 at 14:52 | Report abuse |
    • NoDoubt

Reading your post reminded me of my extended family. My mother was one of 13 children as well, and boy did they have issues. They lived in Brazil, and even though my grandfather was an architect making good money, it was just too many children. He died when my mom was 14 and I can tell you that she struggled with losing him and finding a place in her household. Not enough attention was given. The kids were made to work while their mom did nothing. So pan forward to my mother marrying an American and moving to the U.S. Did her problems end? No. As she got older, she got worse. She was bipolar and was horribly insecure. She had kids because it was the thing to do, but in reality she was too damaged.
      I'm a 37 year old female and I have no children. I've decided that the world doesn't need any more people, and I refuse to have kids just because that's what all my other friends have done. I refuse to take out my childhood emotional abuse on anyone or be put in a situation where it could happen that way.
      I have friends that can't afford their lifestyles who are having kids because "that's the plan". STOP BREEDING IF YOU CAN'T TAKE CARE OF YOUR KIDS. And don't have kids if you're lazy and / or violent and have no patience.

December 6, 2013 at 16:55 | Report abuse |
  10. Sherri

But we are still having far too many unwanted babies and unplanned babies and there is no excuse. Birth control is easy to get, pretty cheap (much cheaper than raising a baby), yet too many women don't use it or don't use it regularly/reliably. I am tired of hearing women say that they are pregnant and it was an accident. No, if you have sex, you can get pregnant. Duh! Whether you are 15 or 45. If you are still having periods, and you have sex, you can get pregnant. How hard is that?

December 6, 2013 at 11:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Geez

Here's an idea – include the men in the birth control conversation. Let's hold both accountable for the production on babies.

December 6, 2013 at 11:44 | Report abuse |
    • Blueangel

Why is it up to the women? Condoms are also cheap, and don't even require a prescription!

December 6, 2013 at 13:56 | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

Yes, even women can be chauvinists! Where is the man's responsibility in your comments? I'm not saying this makes it OK for the women, but last I heard, it still takes two to make a baby. It's very easy for men to get a vasectomy, it's an outpatient procedure. Not only that, you can't tell the difference later, there is still plenty of fluid at the "proper moment", just no live soldiers in it. If the man is not sure whether he may want to have a child down the road, he can always have some sperm frozen in a sperm bank. Also, sometimes vascectomies are reversible, so that's another option.

December 6, 2013 at 14:24 | Report abuse |
  11. Joe G

Raising kids is a horrible experience. If there was anything you ever cared about, enjoyed doing in your free time, friends you thought you had, it's gone for the rest of your lives. Positive contributions to society? Maybe helping the poor? Can't do it because "now you are a parent" which somehow means you need to trade the 4 seater sedan for a giant SUV or Minivan.

Kids are loud, expensive, time consuming, full of diseases and poo. If you are foolish to have one, you learn pretty quickly that you don't want 4. This is why in every society where there is birth control, birth rates collapse. Because kids suck.

I actually think that the planet would be better off if human populations dropped to about half a billion. Maybe at a subconscious, instinctual level our species is self regulating.

December 6, 2013 at 11:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Monk3ySpazm

Great comment. Spot-on. Bravo. Couldn't have said it better myself. Even if you paid me.

December 6, 2013 at 11:53 | Report abuse |
    • Samantha

I wished your mother would have used birth control, so we wouldn't have to read your blog. The only reason you're able to write this is because two people had sex and you came along.

December 6, 2013 at 11:55 | Report abuse |
    • SmartGirl

I completely agree with you. Parenthood is seriously overrated. Motherhood can drive you insane. You don't get out of it what you put into it at all. There are no guarantees. I have one son. Gave the kid my all. Would never do it again. As I realized much too late, marriage was way less than what I expected, motherhood way more.

December 6, 2013 at 12:01 | Report abuse |
    • GD

Wow...I bet you're the life of the party.

December 6, 2013 at 12:03 | Report abuse |
    • Cat

wow. i sincerely hope you are not a parent.

December 6, 2013 at 12:24 | Report abuse |
    • Reason

I've read enough. I was curious what people would say after an article like this and, sure enough, it was a little sad. I appreciate the difficulties that "way too much" and some of the previous people have had but I have a beautiful wife and a child whom is the second most precious person in the world to me. He walks, talks, and loves and I see a beautiful future when I look at him. We are poor but we make it work. We'll have another one gladly in the upcoming months. Children are the most precious resource on the planet and we adults have an obligation to protect and provide for them. That includes having them! Loving them! Lets get on the ball here, there is more at stake than just money. If you prepare, work hard, and most importantly-love your spouse things will work out and you'll be happy. Good luck

December 6, 2013 at 12:48 | Report abuse |
    • Neat-O

Joe,

I believe one of the purposes of life is to learn how to love selflessly. There is probably no better way than to have children because as you stated, it is hard. However, it can be fulfilling. I have 5 children that I'm trying to raise with my wife. We have struggles and one of them is autistic, but our perspective is that they are a gift from God and we want to be with them even after we die and the pain of life is gone. We believe there is no better way to learn to be like God, who is our parent. Yes, our Heavenly Father has a wife, but we don't talk much of her out of respect. We are happy despite our struggles. Hopefully you are also.

December 6, 2013 at 13:03 | Report abuse |
    • bearitstrong

"Raising kids is a horrible experience."

True, if you are self-centered, have no patience or humanist feelings. Better for all that you would not be a parent.

December 6, 2013 at 14:37 | Report abuse |
    • D Russell

Joe G – You are WRONG to speak in such generalities. Having children was and is the most meaningful experience of my life. I love my wife and kids. There are challenges from time to time, but we meet them as a couple and as a family. Until I had a family, I had a full but not truly meaningful life. When you have kids you realize that things that seemed so important before you had them were so much nonsense and drama and things you thought would be so horrible (like diapers) were really nothing at all. You just can't imagine the love you feel for a child unless you have one. But if you really feel the way you do, I am sorry for you because you are missing out on so much from my perspective.

December 6, 2013 at 15:03 | Report abuse |
  12. Daron

This is great news. More women using with there brain and nots whats between there legs. I agree that men & women should have childern once they get married or they have there lifes together.

December 6, 2013 at 11:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Burbank

I keep reading all these comments about the woman's responsibility. What about the man? You men are not exempt in this at all! It takes two! Look at all the deadbeats out there that just run off after irresponsibly making a child. Why not but some sperm in a spermbank if you want children later and get a vasectomy? Or if you don't want to raise kids, just get the vasectomy. Easy, it's an in-and-out outpatient procedure, reasonably cheap, and you can't tell any difference later except it doesn't result in making a child. Then you can play in the bedroom all you want with no worries about consequences.

December 6, 2013 at 14:31 | Report abuse |
  13. Mark

Abortions should be free and encouraged!

December 6, 2013 at 11:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Burbank

Agree, birth control and vasectomies too! Fertility treatments should be outlawed. If people can't have children naturally, that's a warning that something is wrong with their genes and they should adopt instead. Insisting a child come from your own genes is pure, arrogant hubris! Also people that have had a child with a birth defect or autism, should not continue reproducing. They should adopt if they want more children.

December 6, 2013 at 14:35 | Report abuse |
  14. Zeus

It is obvious that many people are now enjoying their 20s and puttin off having a family (if at all) until their 30s. I have seen this in almost all of the couples I know. I did not follow suit, I was 25 when my son was born and I am happy as hell that I am now 45 and he will be done college in two years. Go ahead and wait like so many of my friends did, they are now 45 and their kids are around 10, they will be pushing 60 by the time their kids graduate, no thanks.
    Another reason for low births is because more teens use protection and do oral sex more frequently for gratification 🙂

December 6, 2013 at 12:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. David Crandall

I had a vasectomy when I was very young because i wanted to be able to have sex without the consequences. Children are no longer needed in our society. There are too many people and not enough resources.

December 6, 2013 at 12:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Agrav8td

Companies could stop downsizing so much and/or sending our jobs overseas. You can shrink the population, but greed is greed.

December 6, 2013 at 12:53 | Report abuse |
  16. Darnestky

I'm in Texas, and that does not apply to women of Mexican descent.

December 6, 2013 at 12:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Brandon

Good news. Let's just have baby's on even/odd years based on last name.

December 6, 2013 at 12:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Patrick_P

@David Crandall – I thought I might have a vasectomy when I was young, too. But I didn't, never had any biological children and adopted 2 from foster care when I was married. Now single, and older :-), I am considering it again, but likely won't unless I get in a serious relationship with a pre-menopausal woman. Since that's not likely, it'll probably be condoms for me from here on out. Thank you for your responsible decision.

December 6, 2013 at 12:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. jpal

Best news ever – this country is 3rd most populated in the world – not a fact that should make us happy
    we can barely feed those we have
    the reality of the future is that the more productive our economy becomes the less people it will support
    because more will be done with less people
    that will drive wages down for most and increase it for a few lucky ones that control those means of production
    if the population was to drop suddenly by 60 million and you were not related to those people you would not even notice the drop

December 6, 2013 at 12:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. scy385

I actually think this is good news. It is getting more and more difficult to have and raise kids. Most people simply can't afford it.

December 6, 2013 at 12:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Baal

Do these numbers also include the Hispanic population as well?

December 6, 2013 at 12:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Burbank

Hopefully it does, they seem to be the worst offenders by far.

December 6, 2013 at 14:38 | Report abuse |
  22. Mr. X

Having children is certainly not for everyone and every situation is different. I went through life for 26 years and never wanted children until 5 years ago. A year after our daughter was born my ex wife thought it would be a good idea to have a child with another man. Since my daughter has been a year old I have been what I call a "part time parent" sharing some responsibility and doing the best I can with what I have. What other posters have said is true kids are expensive, time consuming, and difficult to deal with at times. Good for those of you that know what you want and remain child free because it will change your life forever. I will say the experience has been rewarding because I enjoying doing cool things with my daughter such as Washington D.C waterparks, beaches and eating pizza. Its funny because I get the strangest looks from people when I tell them I don't want to ever get married again or have anymore children. No way no how. Once this child is raised I will finally be able to relax a little more and enjoy life without so much pressure and having to work two jobs to survive. Its all about a choice and I would highly recommend thinking long and hard about having children.

December 6, 2013 at 12:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dave

You sound like a good and reasonable guy. However, it isn't "once she turns 18 i am homefree"–more like till she turns 40

December 6, 2013 at 15:50 | Report abuse |
  23. GenPatton

That's because Obammy is giving away abortions, in ACA.

December 6, 2013 at 13:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. sammy750

Since Republicans are banning birth control in many states, they will change. Republicans want every sex act to be able to create a baby.

December 6, 2013 at 13:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Burbank

Running us all off a cliff! The world simply can't support any more people. I don't want to live in a world that looks like Haiti, only with no one giving handouts because everything has been consumed but the people themselves. That old movie Soylent Green comes to mind.

December 6, 2013 at 14:41 | Report abuse |
  25. Dean

I wonder how much more this number would drop if we got rid of any barriers to the use of contraceptives and actually taught adequate sexual education in our schools?

December 6, 2013 at 13:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Xira

Women should not have children after the age of 26-28 or so. They are physically capable of it, sure, but I'm physically capable of beating another man to death, yet that's also something one should not do.

You have 4 times as many genetic mutations at 35 as at 14. Even if they aren't obvious in the baby you produce they are still there, like genetic landmines waiting to cause problems in future generations.

If you want to have a baby, the best time is as a teen. Your grandchildren will thank you. (if you don't, they'll probably be drooling idiots)

December 6, 2013 at 13:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sara

my mother, grandmother, great grandmothers all had perfectly heath children after age 28. After 38-40, its a very high risk to have kids. Plenty of women have kids in their early 30s and its fairly easy yo get pregnant before age 35. also one could say older parents are more stable and tend to be a little more wiser in their parenting.

December 6, 2013 at 13:47 | Report abuse |
    • Sara

Also Autism and psychological disorders are more tied to the fathers age versus the mothers age.

December 6, 2013 at 13:48 | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

Totally disagree. Women that deferr motherhood until their 30's tend to raise better children because they are more emotionally and mentally mature themselves. There is a slight chance of more birth defects, but very slight. Someone in their teens is very likely to raise a dysfuntional adult because they are still children themselves. Also, their own body is still growing and a baby puts too much stress on it. I think you are one of these shortsighted people that doesn't think things through. You probably also think your food comes from the store, not the farm!

December 6, 2013 at 14:45 | Report abuse |
    • Poor

"Autism, retardation, obesity, schizophrenia, stress, all sorts of health problems are skyrocketing in our society because we are having babies too late." –Xira the terrible–

How old was your mother when he had you???

December 6, 2013 at 14:45 | Report abuse |
    • Poor

So clearly, Xira the child molester believes in having babies with teens...maybe teen men are the ones your referring to about being able to "physically beat a man (teen) to death?" Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you'll get your a– handed to you!

December 6, 2013 at 14:49 | Report abuse |
    • KHS

Biologically, you may be right, but a teen does not have the necessary maturity and rarely the financial means to properly bring up a child.

December 6, 2013 at 15:39 | Report abuse |
  27. Selin

The smarter people are having less children. They realize the responsibility and the cost of having a child. However, the uneducated are popping them out in epic proportions. Idiocracy is happening my friends. Our human race is being watered down. Good luck to us all.

December 6, 2013 at 13:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Burbank

That's why we need to start issuing licenses to have children and the people that don't follow the law should be sterilized so they can't repeat the offense! The consequences of overpopulation are too great to be ignored any longer and if people don't do something about it willingly, their ability to reproduce needs to be taken away. There is more at stake than just the parent's own selfish and/or lazy agenda. Having children is a privelege, not a right. Having children you can not afford to feed and raise in a reasonable manner until age 18 is child abuse. It's also abusing the other people that are held hostage having to pay taxes to help raise your child so it won't suffer as well as environmental abuse. Irresponsible breeders should be taken completely out of the equation with sterilization!

December 6, 2013 at 14:50 | Report abuse |
    • IdahoDove

Totally agree with you!!! If anyone out there has not watched that movie, you seriously need to.

December 6, 2013 at 16:13 | Report abuse |
  28. Badly-Bent

TEA PARTY: We must put a stop to this. This is exactly why god made women!

December 6, 2013 at 13:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Sara

Americans have less money to have lots of children. With children come the house, cars, college education. Kids cost money, lots of money. Less money=less kids. Also a lot of people are choosing not to marry for various reasons and have decided having lots of kids isn't a necessity in life.

December 6, 2013 at 13:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Mark

It's irresponsible to bring a child into this world today.

December 6, 2013 at 13:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. rubypearl

does "US women" include illegals, because I am sure that number would not be so low if not...

December 6, 2013 at 13:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Bill

if its the "smarter" people are having less kids, then clearly they aren't the smaller people. Its not like today's society and elite were born from a long line of phd and masters holders.

December 6, 2013 at 13:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. peter

NO the illegals !!! They are breeding like rabbits on caffeine.

December 6, 2013 at 14:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Blueangel

I have four grown kids. Of the four, two have decided they are not interested in ever having children. It took a little time to change my mindset. I was looking forward to being a doting grandmother and enjoying that part of life. Also, it's hard to imagine my life without kids so I couldn't envision what meaning their lives would have without them. I sometimes think that it is sad that they will never experience the unconditional love that comes with kids. Anyways, I have gotten used to the idea, and I do have two grandchildren, so that will have to do. They are a different generation for sure. I do agree that there are too many people. I hope for maybe two more grand kids someday. My youngest is only 21 but he says he wants to have kids someday.

December 6, 2013 at 14:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Burbank

You can always participate in big brother or big sister activities for underpriveleged children if you want more interaction with children, or perhaps become a storybook reader at a local library. There are many ways to enjoy children without encouraging your own kids to breed them for you.

December 6, 2013 at 14:58 | Report abuse |
  35. Joe

I guess it means more jobs for my four children. Yes, my wife and I can afford them, even with me earning our only source of income, and we are educated. You know what we don't do? Keep up with the Joneses – newest cars, fastest computers, largest TV screens, 10 plus credit cards, a house that has more space than we need, high cell phone bills, etc.

December 6, 2013 at 14:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Burbank

Hooray for you! I watch these shows on the real estate channel with all these young people wanting these huge "open concept" mansions that must cost a fortune to heat and cool and also insist on 4-5 bedrooms, one for each child with several bathrooms to go with it. I can guarantee that, unless they can afford a maid, or the mother is a stay at home slave that spends most of her time being a maid for the rest of the family, these homes will be filthy within about 6 months! Who has time to work, take care of kids and keep these huge overpriced barns clean! These McMansions are the slums of tomorrow!

December 6, 2013 at 15:03 | Report abuse |
  36. peter

Not the Illegals !!!! They are breeding like rabbits on caffeine and clogging up our public hospitals. Why doesn't Congress do anything to discourage this behavior ???

December 6, 2013 at 14:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Burbank

They don't do anything about it because they want to eliminate the middle class in order to control everyone like feudal Lords. Overpopulation devalues wages. These illegals have stolen all the teenager's jobs and blue collar jobs and are now working on the white collar jobs with stolen I.D.s and stolen college grants. The stories about Amercians being too proud for those jobs is pure propaganda! Who did those jobs before they were stolen by illegals? We did! I worked in factories and as a maid and nanny myself when I was young and saying Americans are too proud for these jobs is an absolute insult!

December 6, 2013 at 15:08 | Report abuse |
  37. NODAT1

The US population growth is expanding at an alarming ate, but do to PC laws the CDC is only allowed to report on US citizens giving birth, those committing crimes by entering our country illegally are not included in their statistics

December 6, 2013 at 14:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Burbank

Or how many millions of anchor babies grew up to be gang bangers..... Something they don't want you to think about. Ever notice that they never publish any statistics on that? Might mess up the "path to citizenship" schtick.

December 6, 2013 at 15:10 | Report abuse |
  38. Jerry Okamura

What are the long term consequences if this trend continues?

December 6, 2013 at 14:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. gstlab3

I hope you all remember that now days the poor are more apt to stay that way and the same goes for the rich people.
    People are used and farmed just like any other animal by the giant corporate military industrial complex and the now infamous new world order enforced by an all powerfull giant military and police force deployed all over the globe and even in our streets.

December 6, 2013 at 14:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. John Vance

I hope we don't have an "Idiocracy" in our future.

December 6, 2013 at 14:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Lord Temple

This is the best news that I have heard in a long time. Im very happy to hear that woman are being much more cautious when it comes to having a baby; to all you wonderful and intelligent woman out there, Great Job! Waiting to have kids until you have successfully created some form of foundation for your life is thee smartest choice you will ever make. Our society is finally breaking away from the "life is best simple" mentality of the 50's. Guys go to work and the woman stay at home and have babies. I congratulate all woman out there who make the correct choice. Not to mention the human race has now completely taken on the form of a virus, with us carelessly depleting all our natural resources due to extreme over population. Why we as a species have not come together and create a reasonable law that addresses the amount of children one can have is beyond me. You should have to apply to have children. There are vast amounts of people in this world that clearly have no right creating baby after baby, when they can't even take care of themselves. And yet there they are having 5-6-7 babies all of which have almost a zero chance of being successful in life and usually just end up following in the paths of their deadbeat parents. If we continue on this absolute reckless course our one and only planet will eventually turn on us and take matters in to her own hands. But the good news is that apparently woman out there are finally getting the message that, "first you succeed then and only then you can have children". Hope for humanity is still possible as long as these amazing and beautiful woman that us guys love so much continue to control the situation. Because us men cannot be trusted in any way shape or form when it comes to having sex with you woman. For the most part its not our fault, we have this "breed with as many female" mentality ingrained within our DNA, it evolved long ago when we were still animals. So ladies...... Us men animals...... you ladies Gods. Please continue controlling the situation of reproducing; whether you realize it or not you own us.

December 6, 2013 at 14:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Dan Green

My advice , get a dog. They always like you, glad to see you come in the door, and more importantly, don't go to University. Less stress on the have to do it all female, you may live with.

December 6, 2013 at 14:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Shelia

I think this is the funniest thing I have ever heard..People want their social programs but are against the babies being born in which supply there socialist society. News flash left you need those babies to pay for your social security welfare you created. Who is going to fund your beautiful universal health care you demand... smh too funny...

December 6, 2013 at 14:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Burbank

If we destroy this planet from too many people none of that stuff will matter! I would say getting the population down before Mother Nature takes care of it for us, and almost certainly in a very brutal way, should be top priority. The results may be painful but if we don't pay attention to it, the alternative is even worse. I think you are very short sighted. Another one of those people that probably thinks your food comes from the store, not the farm. If we don't have a healthy planet, there won't even be a farm to get the food from! That is, if you are even still around. Overpopulation is driving us all over a cliff and can't be ignored as much as you would like to continue doing so for your own short term convenience.

December 6, 2013 at 15:16 | Report abuse |
  44. joe

no kids and love it. Love my wife and our freedom to do what we want whenever we want. People are programed by media that its " the most beautiful thing that could ever hapen to you, miracle, blah blah.. and commercial interests set you up with 4 years of pampers and walwart plastic crap toys etc. .. then college. 7 billion on the planet. i think thats plenty.

December 6, 2013 at 15:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. She

I think men need some credit here too. It takes two to make a baby or choose not to. When I was in college, a guy sabotaged his contraceptives so his girl would have to stay with him forever. He made no secret of it. Her parents were old fashioned and pressured her into getting married. It's also helpful that girls have female role models choosing another path in life and showing girls all the potential they have. They know there are more opportunities out there for them.

December 6, 2013 at 15:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. itsnotjustapoorblackthing

I worked at a well known wholesale retail chain for 3 years and out of those 3 years I saw so many white women with multiply children, and I thought to myself society and the media has convinced me that it was just a poor black/latino thing. Needless to say I was surprised. You talk about black people like they want to be poor. Black people have morals and want to do the right thing. You and your ancestors have put a plan in place to keep black people poor and I must say your plans has been working. You stole everything from us, we forgive you (because we know it is your nature) but it will never be forgotten. White people have their issue too. A white person can steal another individuals life savings and wont have to answer to it. A black person can rob a bank (money insured) and will get 20 or more years in prison. I read some of these hateful posts and I get a little upset but then I smile because I know that we are the chosen people and you are just mad because you cant an will never be us. You can talk about us until your face turns red (oh it already is) but DONT EVER FORGET WHO WE ARE!!!!!!!!

December 6, 2013 at 15:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. mslulu

This obviously doesn't ring true for those Dugger people.. The Duggers. They just keep trying to have as many kids as they can even though the Mom is like 60something now. I just don't understand that. Some people just have the desire to litter the world with their seed, not even thinking of the consequences.

December 6, 2013 at 15:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Robby Dobbs

Awesome news. Good job ladies.

December 6, 2013 at 15:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. jonquil123

Many people hold off on having babies during recessions, particularly, educated people. However; look at how many weddings have occurred these past, two years, how the industry is booming and educated, white women - those who usually postpone childbearing, anyway - and how Gen X is edging towards the end of their childbearing years and older Gen Y is firmly in the middle and I think we might actually see a micro baby-boom, over the next decade.

December 6, 2013 at 15:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Gene

Bullfunky. Take a ride thru any get-oh & look around.

December 6, 2013 at 15:54 | Report abuse | Reply