home
RSS
Got a minute?  You could save lives
November 19th, 2013

Got a minute? You could save lives

Think fast. If you were in a public place, and someone suddenly collapsed, would you know what to do?

According to research presented at the American Heart Association's Scientific Sessions 2013 conference, this one-minute video could teach bystanders cardiopulmonary resuscitation, or CPR, even if they've had no previous instruction.

"We need to get more people doing bystander CPR," said Dr. Ashish Panchal, study author and assistant professor of emergency medicine at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center. "Simple videos like this may be a way to get people familiar with it."

The current study was conducted at a shopping mall.  Clinicians divided participants into two groups. One group, of 47 people, sat idle, while the other group of 48 watched a one-minute video to instruct them on how to respond to a sudden collapse.  Call 911, the video instructed, then begin hands-only CPR, pushing hard and fast on the center of the chest.

Then participants were then taken to a private area one at a time. There, they were introduced to a mannequin simulating a sudden collapse and were ask to do what they "thought was best."

Those who had seen the video called 911 more frequently. They also began chest compressions quicker and with better quality.

Panchal said that the improved responsiveness could have a "strong impact on the dismal bystander CPR rate" in the United States.

Besides having a very minimal associated cost, he said the ultra-brief videos could be used at a variety of locations. Panchal and his team of researchers are planning on conducting similar tests at high schools and at a college basketball game.

"...But in consideration for something which is cost effective and a good intervention to get to possibly increase bystander CPR, (watching the video) is a good choice early on," he added.

"These simple mass media interventions may very well help bystanders be more comfortable with the concept of actually helping save a life," he noted.

The American Heart Association says the compressions should be done to the beat of "Stayin' Alive," the classic disco song. Statistics from 2012 show that of the nearly 400,000 out-of-hospital cardiac arrests annually in the United States, about 89% of victims die because they don't receive CPR from a bystander.

"The importance of this ... it cannot be understated," said Dr. Howard Mell, an emergency physician in Ohio and spokesman for the American College of Emergency Physicians.

"This is critical," he added. "We know that if (someone doesn't) get CPR within the first eight minutes of their cardiac arrest, they will not survive, statistically speaking."

Mell also noted that the majority of cardiac arrests occur in the home.

"People need to learn this because their loved ones are who they are going to save," he said.

But until these videos are playing in malls or at sporting events, you can see the video here.

1. compassmd

Cannot stress the calling 911 part enough. CPR and AEDs help increase chances of survival, but the end result is the patient needs to get EMS for medication, EKG, and transport to a hospital for additional proceduers and evaluation. Call first, then CPR!

November 19, 2013 at 16:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. TheSadTruth

The "Hands Only" method of CPR is more commonly known as the "I'm not doing mouth-to-mouth on some dying stranger" method.

November 19, 2013 at 16:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill

The use of a mask isn't really to protect against disease, as it is to protect against the victim suddenly vomiting in the responders mouth. One should NEVER do mouth CPR without a mask. Once the victim vomits (more of a when, not if), if it gets even a little bit into the lungs of the responder, death or serious disease from lung infection is pretty much a guarantee.

November 19, 2013 at 17:06 | Report abuse |
  3. cali girl

15-2 is the adult ratio. Compress 15 times, then 2 breathes, pausing between for exhalation.

November 19, 2013 at 16:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill

Its actually 30-2, and will likely be updated to 60-1. They have found that the more compressions the better, as 15 is not enough to actually get the blood pressure up to pump the blood.

November 19, 2013 at 17:04 | Report abuse |
  4. Yakko

Sounds like a good way to get sued. Especially if you're a man, and the patient is a woman. Best keep your hands to yourself and call 911.

November 19, 2013 at 16:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sam

In my area, the average 911 EMS response time is 9 minutes. In that amount of time the person is dead without intervention.You would watch someone die rather than render aid? All the US states have Good Samaritan laws that shield you from liability if you're acting in good faith.

The article is somewhat misleading – not all of the 89% of people who die following out-of-hospital arrest would be saved by bystander CPR.

November 19, 2013 at 17:09 | Report abuse |
    • JCK

One can only hope that if you are in a public place and all of a sudden , out of the blue you have an incredible chest pain accompanied by numbness in your left shoulder and arm, drop to the floor and flop like a fish that a bystander would look at you and say. Heyyyyyyyy DUDE ... I called 911 but I will stand by with my thumb up my ass and do nothing for you, you might sue me !!!!

November 19, 2013 at 17:12 | Report abuse |
  5. M.M

I saved a guy once. I was the only one there who knew CPR. Sure I cracked the cartilage around his sternum (common) but he was pretty grateful once he was out of the hospital induced coma. Seriously , at least watch some videos a few times. Watch different ones to get some different tips. I did compression only as it was a complete stranger. Watch the defibrillator videos , too.

November 19, 2013 at 18:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. JRS

Not uncommon for someone to just faint, Start doing chest compressions and congratulations, you just killed a person. Better do a quick check for breathing and pulse first.

November 19, 2013 at 23:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • M.M

In my case I thought he'd been hit by a car and that the agonal breathing was moaning but I realized what it was pretty quickly and checked for real breathing. Nope. It was all happening in the pitch dark lit by headlights. If it had been daylight the blue tint he had would have given me a pre-hint.

November 20, 2013 at 12:34 | Report abuse |
  7. Jada Wilson

This stuff is descusting

November 20, 2013 at 10:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Meatmon

videos being shown on CPR should be done more often and in wide variety of settings because even though a person can call 911 that person is going to need help right then and there.The chances of someone's life being saved by an individual who's never had any formal training greatly increases, even with the possibility of lawsuits.

November 20, 2013 at 15:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Heather

I saved my baby cousin from doing cpr when he was choking. It is so important to learn this whether its choking, heart attack or anything else, I'd rather save a life and risk them suing (which I hope wouldn't happen) than watch them die/suffer. I think a judge would rule in favor of the person trying to do the right thing and not someone who just wants money...or at least a good judge would.

November 20, 2013 at 17:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. María Justa Aguilar Girón

Me gusta el articulo, porque te dan herramientas practicas en como ayudar en esos momentos difíciles en que uno se encuentra en diferentes momentos de la vida de cualquier lugar hasta para tu trabajo. Que siempre se pueda hacer este tipo de orientaciones para salvar vidas.

November 21, 2013 at 11:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. MJ82

Several years ago when receiving first aid training (which included CPR and AED) for my job we were told if we needed help to remember how fast/often to do a compression just hum "Stayin' Alive". It's pretty ironic, but it has the optimal number of beats/minute and people perform CPR better when they hear the song.

November 21, 2013 at 13:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Timmy Suckle

Just make sure you die very quickly!!! That saves my company lots of money!! More for me! I kissed my way up to VP at a health insurance company. Now I take over $600,000 of your health care dollars for NO VALUE ADDED to your health care. And that’s just me. Now think about how many other VPs, Directors, Managers, etc. are at my company alone. Now multiply that by thousands of others at hundreds of other health insurance companies. From 10 to 25% of your health care dollars go towards administration that adds NO VALUE to your health care. But my company’s PAC dollars will continue to fool you little people into thinking that a single payer system will be bad. Little people like you are so easy to fool. Little people also don’t realize that a single payer system is the ONLY system that would allow little people (as an entire country) to negotiate better health care prices. Little people don’t realize that the Medical Cartels already know that. And that is the reason why the Medical Cartels spend so much PAC money from the hospitals and doctors lobbying against a single payer system. Some little people say that a single payer system would cost you little people more. But if that were true, then wouldn’t the hospitals and doctors WANT that extra money? Yes they would. So why do the Medical Cartels lobby against a single payer system? It’s because the Medical Cartels know it would allow little people to negotiate better health care prices. And that’s what the Medical Cartels are afraid of. Period.
    But us big wigs at insurance companies, hospitals, and pharmacy companies don’t ever need to worry about health care no matter what it costs. We get our health care paid for one way or another by you little people. And we get the little people that work at our companies to contribute to our PACs. And us big wigs say it’s to protect the little peoples’ jobs. But in reality it would be in the little peoples’ best interest to NOT contribute to the PAC. Again, little people are so easily fooled. I won’t ever have to worry about losing my job with so many little people being brain washed by the Medical Cartels’ PAC money. Not only that, the Medical Cartels’ PAC money is used to elect so many republicans that will never allow a single payer system. Republicans have always fought against any meaningful health care reform. But that’s what our Medical Cartels’ PACs pay them for. Politicians can be bought so easily.
    Pretty soon the only people that will be able to afford health care is us big wigs. And that’s the way it should be. We don’t want you little people using up the resources when we need them. And once again, I thank you little people for capping my SS tax at the $113,700 level. Now I only pay 1.2% SS tax and you little people pay 6.2%. Also, thank you for extending my tax breaks. I’m using the extra money on my vacation houses.

November 22, 2013 at 10:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Sally

I just got paid $5628 working off my laptop this month. And if you think that's cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $8.1k her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less. This is what I do, w*w^w . Best96 . c^o*m-

November 22, 2013 at 12:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Barbara

Is it ok to give CPR to a person with a pacemaker? My brother has a pacemaker and also a friend . TY

November 22, 2013 at 21:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • M.M

CPR is for people who are dying or "dead" so I'm going to have to say yes.

November 22, 2013 at 22:28 | Report abuse |
  15. ??????? ?????

. 彼�の�は�窓�見て透�の�光いい孤�,イザベルマラン 通販.私と彼は�,nike エア. 珍しい�人,ノースフェイス ダウンコート.�の俺を見てやっと孤�,ノースフェイス 激安.�こんな謎の�だろう 相关的主题文章: jimmy choo 店舗 ノースフェイス ニット帽 MCM バッグ 判断女性愛あなたを愛しないで、最も簡単な標準は

November 27, 2013 at 23:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Sally

I'm making $86 an hour working from home. I was shocked when my neighbour told me she was averaging $95 but I see how it works now. I feel so much freedom now that I'm my own boss. This is what I do, w*w^w . Best96 . c^o*m-

December 4, 2013 at 14:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. kim

I learned CPR at school. This article reminded it !

December 17, 2013 at 21:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. burberry nova check tote bag

http://www.apa-escolapios-pozuelo.com/burberry/burberry-kids-london.html,burberry kids london
    burberry nova check tote bag http://www.apa-escolapios-pozuelo.com/burberry/burberry-nova-check-tote-bag.html,

January 17, 2014 at 10:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Sheri Guidos

There's noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made sure good factors in options also.

May 18, 2014 at 09:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Tanya Foster

Great post! I read the whole article as you said "got a minute? You could save lives! Military Wife Job

August 27, 2014 at 16:57 | Report abuse | Reply