home
RSS
Celebrating baldness
October 22nd, 2013

From a mouse's back: hair restoration hope

Whether because of burns, age-related baldness or other diseases, both men and women are vulnerable to losing significant quantities of hair. There are limited options available for helping them grow it back, but scientists are trying to unlock solutions.

A new study, published Monday in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, offers fresh potential for restoring hair, using a person's own cells. Study authors demonstrated their technique on the backs of mice, but they've genetically confirmed that the hairs themselves are human.

"Everything was done in human cells, both the donors and the recipients. In most of the work that’s been done up to now it’s a hybrid – the hairs are usually part rodent and part human," said Angela Christiano, professor of dermatology at Columbia University Medical Center, one of the senior authors of the new study. "So having an assay that’s all human is actually a big thing."

Who benefits?

Hair transplantation surgery typically involves moving hairs from the back of the head to the front. This is particularly difficult in women because they usually don't have enough back-of-the head hair to transplant, Christiano said. The technique is also not normally done in men with early-stage baldness because their hairlines are still receding.

Unlike traditional hair transplant techniques, the method described in the PNAS study could potentially grow new hair follicles in hair-loss patients using the person's own cells. It hasn't been tried on a person's head yet, but it has resulted in the generation of human hair follicles on the backs of mice.

People who suffer hair loss and have a limited number of hair follicles could also benefit, Christiano said. That includes people with hair loss that occurs because of burns, scarring alopecia or female-pattern hair loss.  The new research could help compensate for this deficit.

This is early-stage research, but Christiano envisions clinical trials in humans could begin in three to five years.

If it were available for human hair restoration, Christiano said the cost would be hard to estimate; she doesn't know how expensive preparing the cells and other parts of the procedure would be for humans. Currently, though, hair transplantation is in the $8,000 to $12,000 range, she said.

How it works

There are specialized stem cells that are found at the base of the hair follicle called dermal papillae. Scientists have shown in previous studies that intact dermal papilla cells can generate hair follicles under skin that doesn't have hair, but not when scientists try to culture them and expand the number of cells.

"You can grow millions of them, but it doesn’t do much good because they can’t instruct the overlying skin to grow hair anymore," Christiano said.

The challenge in this research field has been to find a way to encourage these cells to remember they came from a hair follicle, and regain the signals that induce hair growth.

Christiano and colleagues employed a method of culturing cells called the "hanging drop culture," in which they put dermal papillae cells into drops of tissue culture media on the inside lid of a petri dish. The result was tiny three-dimensional spheres, each containing about 3,000 cells, hanging from the top of the lid.

Researchers then took these spheres and implanted them between the epidermis and dermis of human skin to see if the stem cell spheres could reprogram the epidermis. For the human skin they used infant foreskin because it doesn't normally have hair on it

Finally, they grafted the human skin with the spheres implanted onto the backs of mice.

This technique worked in five out of seven tries, each representing skin cells from a different person, with new hair follicles forming after six weeks. These new hair follicles genetically matched the people they came from, showing they were human - and not rodent - hairs.

What's more, the researchers found that 22% of genes that would be functioning in the cells were turned on in the spheres. Christiano and colleagues had anticipated more than that - this is an area to explore in the future.

Challenges ahead

There are still some other key issues to resolve here such as: Do the new hairs cycle? In other words, if you pluck the newly grown hairs out, will they come back in?

Also, it's not clear yet how pigmentation of hair happens - most of the hairs grown in this experiment were white.

"If someone had a full head of brown hair, and we used this to grow new hair, we wouldn’t want the whole new patch of hair to be white," Christiano explained.

Researchers will also have to make sure that the hair grows at a 30-degree angle like normal human hair, so that it doesn't stick straight out of the head.

1. Joseph Maletta

You know I am sure they have had a cure for baldness for a while... But if you think about it... think of all the business that make money on so called (Baldness treatments) and the doctors who deal in hairloss will go out of business... they will advocate for this to never be put into production. I would happily be a Guinea pig if they need a human to test it on.

It'll all come down to money an politics.

October 22, 2013 at 11:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chuck

Bad news for mice!

October 22, 2013 at 11:37 | Report abuse |
    • B.

So stupid. Keep your the paranoia, it will get you really far...

October 22, 2013 at 13:04 | Report abuse |
    • TerryD

That's very silly. If there was a cure for baldness, it would generate a TRILLION dollars in revenue for the first company to market it and only a couple of tough guy movie stars would still be bald. There'd be no repressing such a thing. Even if the big pharma companies managed to suppress it (and why would they, they'd SELL it!) China would steal and copy it and we'd have tubes of it made from chicken poop and straw.

October 22, 2013 at 13:10 | Report abuse |
    • JC

An actual cure for baldness would generate thousands of times MORE money than the quack "remedies" currently being peddled. Your paranoid conspiracy theory doesn't stand up to 10 seconds worth of actual thought.

October 22, 2013 at 13:34 | Report abuse |
    • ben

Just LIke aids, cancer, etc. Hundreds of doctors / researchers have come out with cures for these things and the media plays it down and the doctors are silenced.

Why pay for a one time pill to prevent aids and cure aids, when you can pay for a daily pill to keep you alive from aids? The latter makes the pharmaceutical industry billions more dollars

A cure for cancer is the last thing the pharmaceutical wants. They make money of people dying. And if people stop dying they dont make money. They rather you spend hundreds of thousands on cancer treatment than a one time thing to prevent it.

October 22, 2013 at 14:16 | Report abuse |
    • Asashii

Hey B. tell that to the Electric car makers in the 70 and 80'S and then get back to US!!!!

October 22, 2013 at 15:20 | Report abuse |
    • Scientist

In response to everyone who says that scientists are just sitting on cures for hair loss, AIDS, cancer, etc.: NONE OF THESE THINGS HAVE CURES. We work too hard and sacrifice too much for our research to "sit" on our findings, and I speak for the entire scientific community when I say such a suggestion is offensive and ignorant. All of these afflictions are COMPLICATED and involve a myriad of processes which we are just beginning to understand. Not to mention each of these diseases, cancer in particular, affects each patient differently, and what works to reduce the disease in one person will not work for another. Pharmaceutical companies have their own share of problems, but if these cures existed SCIENTISTS WOULD SPREAD THE WORD.

October 22, 2013 at 15:27 | Report abuse |
    • gab

The more hair i lose, the more head I get...

October 22, 2013 at 15:55 | Report abuse |
    • jake

Yep, it really does, the pharmaceutical monopoly. Well for that matter , everything with big company s and money!!!

October 22, 2013 at 16:13 | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Yeah, sure Joseph. It's out there with the cure for cancer and AIDS. It's all a huge conspiracy that is magical protected from being discovered by an army of unicorn-riding wizards wearing tinfoil helmets.

October 22, 2013 at 20:31 | Report abuse |
    • Annie

I don't think this new "method" will hurt doctors any. From the description, it sounds as if this is a very complex and sophisticated way of growing hair. The costs are likely to be outta sight. I don't really see this as a solution due to the cost involved. It's a breakthrough, yes, but seems like it's a very expensive method.

What would be cool is if we could sit under a 3D printer and have hair PRINTED onto our heads. A new kind of Beauty Salon: Hair Printing. I don't need it personally, but all the men in our family do.

October 23, 2013 at 11:57 | Report abuse |
  2. Quadg

As a Bald man, all i can say is, i like not having bad hair days... a thing of the past.

every cloud has a silver lining.. or in this case every silver lining has a cloud...

October 22, 2013 at 11:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LC

I'll take a "bad hair day" anyday over a "no hair day" ;)

October 22, 2013 at 12:53 | Report abuse |
    • mistamista

I'm with you man. I started losing it at about 24....by 30, my haircuts are free...and my hat fits better....not to mention that the wife loves it.

October 22, 2013 at 13:59 | Report abuse |
  3. klargar

The 2 largest problems in the world Male pattern Baldness and erectile dysfunction. Cure either and become the richest person in the world.

October 22, 2013 at 11:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • TerryD

Yep. Nobody much cares about rape, cholera, and hunger, but solve ED and baldness and you'd be richer than BIll Gates in less than a year.

October 22, 2013 at 13:12 | Report abuse |
  4. Peter

PETA is going to flip their wigs over this

October 22, 2013 at 12:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. jcsprenger

A cure? Since when is baldness a disease, an incurable disease?Bald is beautiful, right Bruce Willis? Countless bald macho men make women's hearts flutter? So why treat this as a problem. After all, what purpose does hair serve? Except maybe for cancer victims and older women, being bald is not a problem (says this bald guy)

October 22, 2013 at 12:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LC

Sorry, I likes my hair ... want more!

October 22, 2013 at 12:54 | Report abuse |
    • Harry

Keep telling yourself that Maximus.

Usually, the only people you hear saying "bald is beautiful," are bald guys. Almost NO ONE else says that. Ever.

October 22, 2013 at 13:40 | Report abuse |
    • jcsprenger

Ask a bunch of women you moron, most love bald guys

October 24, 2013 at 17:13 | Report abuse |
    • toothball

Quiet Baldy!

October 22, 2013 at 13:44 | Report abuse |
    • Rich

Hey jcsprenger,

You probably don't realize it (or don't care) but your comment is quite insensitive. How about the family of cancer victims? You don' think they care? More so, how about hundreds of thousands of people suffering from alopecia universalis/areata? Do you think they care? Do you think their families care? How about the millions of sympathetic human beings that simply care about other human beings suffering from conditions or affliction that cause hair loss, even if the other human beings are complete strangers? Sorry... but I'm not cynical enough to believe that the majority of the people in the world appear to be so crass and self interested as you seem. Think before you type, or, maybe you did think, and you cannot look beyond the end of your own nose.

October 22, 2013 at 16:30 | Report abuse |
    • jcsprenger

Learn to read first, as you obviously missed my cancer comment and then explain what urgent function hair on your head performs that you can't live without it. You just may be the vainest person, not I

October 24, 2013 at 17:12 | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Hey Rich,

Did you read the last sentence in his comment:? "Except maybe for cancer victims and older women, being bald is not a problem ..." I think he was being sensitive.

October 22, 2013 at 18:20 | Report abuse |
  6. John

A cure for baldness? Like it's an illness? I'm bald and feel great. And all those men out there who shave their heads every day feel great too. CNN again shows how to alienate large numbers of viewers.

October 22, 2013 at 12:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ellen

jcsprenger and John....baldness is the symptom of some diseases. I have had alopecia since I was an 8 year old little girl.
      Talk about being teased and bullied. I am 49 now and have had to deal with it for 41 years. I don't expect to ever be able to have hair again, but like Rod said, it sure would be nice to have hair again.

October 22, 2013 at 12:25 | Report abuse |
    • whatever

Awesome for you. did you know i dont brush my teeth, go to the dentist, watch my weight, shower daily, shave my face, well you get the idea. how dare others want to do anything to improve themselves in any way since i dont.

October 22, 2013 at 12:39 | Report abuse |
    • aaagasdgdad

I have a weirdly shaped and giant head. If I went bald it would be a complete disaster for me. Just because you're happy being bald doesn't mean everyone is.

October 22, 2013 at 12:50 | Report abuse |
    • LC

John – I'm also bald and feel good about myself. No, life isn't all about having hair! On the other hand, if I had my druthere, I'd rather have hair than not.

October 22, 2013 at 13:06 | Report abuse |
    • TerryD

Well, it IS an illness, though a fairly benign one as illnesses go. Being bald probably means you'll have hi cholesterol, cardio problems, ED, etc. There's an underlying genetic cause, and solving that someday will be the real cure. On a more practical scale, hair is not just attractive, it's useful. Try working in an attic with nails protruding down from the roof with no hair, and see how many times you get cut. Or just go out in the sun and forget your hat or think, "Yuck, sunscreen on my head, I'll just be out for a few minutes..."

October 22, 2013 at 13:16 | Report abuse |
    • Rich

John, your comments are alienating from the rest of humanity, since such a cure likely would help hundreds of thousands suffering from alopecia areata/universalis, who haven't chosen to be bald (particularly young ladies who lose their hair at a young age and are teased and bullied endlessly, likely from people with your selfish mentality towards others). Maybe just haven't heard of alopecia, or didn't read the article fully (since alopecia was mentioned in the article), but such a cure is obviously not targeted toward only bald men like yourself.

October 22, 2013 at 16:36 | Report abuse |
  7. Rod

Sure would be nice to have hair again....

October 22, 2013 at 12:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. TLORop

Can I volunteer now?
    I started loosing my hair when I was still in high school.

October 22, 2013 at 12:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jpap

That's why it started to fall out.

October 22, 2013 at 15:34 | Report abuse |
  9. Joe Mauro

oh vanity!!!

October 22, 2013 at 12:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LC

Hey a little vanity is not necesarily a bad thing. I appreciate when people look mah-velous!

October 22, 2013 at 13:08 | Report abuse |
    • TerryD

Well, yeah, but vanity matters. People treat you differently when you're bald (same as fat), and you don't feel as good about yourself. And then there's attractiveness to the (presumably) opposite sex. I've notice that women who have a bald dad, uncles, etc. aren't as put off by baldness as those who don't.

October 22, 2013 at 13:18 | Report abuse |
  10. Robert

So does this means that baldness can be cure by implanting mice hair instead? It will be interesting to see someone with mice hair though….

October 22, 2013 at 12:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • aaagasdgdad

...

Did you even read the article?

October 22, 2013 at 12:56 | Report abuse |
  11. Mike

This sounds fantastic!!! Got to thinking how cool it would be to grow hair randomly on your body, like you could totally over-do it and become a Sasquatch if you wanted. Or maybe wolf hair and ski naked if you wanted?

I'd settle for a big hair tatoo on my back though. Hmmm... now I gotta think about designs! This is gonna be AWESOME!!!

October 22, 2013 at 13:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • TerryD

Well, if you want to look like Sasquatch you don't need this new technology. Most men start turning into Sasquatch as we age. If you want to speed it up, just buy a bottle of that useless minoxidil stuff at the grocery store and slather it all over your body. Works WAY better on your back than on your head, unfortunately. ;)

October 22, 2013 at 13:20 | Report abuse |
  12. Maximus

The cure for baldness (and premature graying) is actually very simple, but of course, there is no money in it. It's called understanding nutrition, the human body and metabolism. I have reversed my hair loss and graying in two years by eating what human beings are supposed to eat and including "super foods" (no, twinkies, yankee doodles, anything from McDonalds or Burger King, are NOT food fit for human consumption). Amazing how the majority of people know exactly how their cars and computers work but have no clue about their own bodies.

October 22, 2013 at 13:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LC

I wish it were that simple but I rather doubt it is.

October 22, 2013 at 13:28 | Report abuse |
    • Ellen

Alopecia has very little to do with what I eat. I have a compromised immune system because that is just the hand I was dealt. I have thyroid disease, alopecia and vitiligo all immune system disorders, so please do not tell me because I have a hamburger once a month I am doomed to be ill all of my days. I watch what I eat and take supplements to make up for what my body lacks. Baldness is socially acceptable for men, but not for us women who have to deal with it. Try wearing a wig when it is 90 degrees and 80 percent humidity. It is not a choice for me.

October 22, 2013 at 13:40 | Report abuse |
    • uh-huh

Pretty nebulous claims... you would be rich if you actually had the answers!

October 22, 2013 at 13:41 | Report abuse |
    • rkdres

So sorry Ellen that you suffer from immune system disorders, but you need to understand that stress and diet are HUGE factors in autoimmune disorders. Many rheumatologists don't even talk to their patients about diet, stress and exercise, and they SHOULD. I know plenty of people who have reversed autoimmune conditions such as Reynaud's, as well as colitis and crohns, simply by changing they way they live. Most of the naysayers never seem to improve their condition because they are trapped in this mental prison which tells them they can never reverse their condition. What you believe has a lot to do with it too.

October 22, 2013 at 14:29 | Report abuse |
    • Pixie

Hi Max, not to be rude, but your comment is completely asinine. Like Ellen, I'm a woman who has been dealing with Alopecia the majority of my life. I thinned at 13 and could not do a GD thing about it. I ate perfectly well, and was otherwise completely healthy and athletic. Please quit acting like some know it all. Try imagining what it would be like for a young girl, just starting highschool and being asked if you're going bald. And knowing you can't do **** about it either. And rk, I know your statement is well intentioned, but I am pretty sure Ellen is PERFECTLY aware of what her body is and is not capable of. I am intensely aware of the effect that stress has on my body, but even under the best of conditions, we will both have hairloss. Even if she's eating perfectly and is experiencing no stress, she will wake up one morning to find giant bald patches from where her hair fell out over night. I wish people would stop trying to act like they have the answers cause believe me, we've been hearing this crap for YEARS and the hair is still gone.

October 22, 2013 at 18:42 | Report abuse |
  13. uh-huh

Baldness is socially acceptable for men? sure... keep telling yourself that.

October 22, 2013 at 13:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • rkdres

Actually, it is more acceptable today than 20 years ago. Why? because it looks a million times better to shave your balding head than to have a comb over. Many male athletes and celebrities choose to shave their heads because they like the way it looks

October 22, 2013 at 14:23 | Report abuse |
    • David

Why would it not be? It is a normal part of the human condition and perfectly natural. Derp.

October 22, 2013 at 19:43 | Report abuse |
  14. Phillyguy

Either bring it to market for all to use immediately or just stop doing the research. People are sick of the 5-10yr window that is always given. This doesn't need years in rodent or any other animal model. It's not a systemic drug that needs that kind of testing. It's not even a topical type drug. It's simple duplication and micro surgery. Get a few hundred guys/girls and do it and get the results in 6 months, period.

October 22, 2013 at 13:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • omar

I was just gonna say the same thing. They've been talking about this for years, I heard it 10 years ago that they grew hair in mice but it's gonna take "years" for humans. Now they're basically saying the same thing. Just tell us when it's ready.

October 22, 2013 at 16:14 | Report abuse |
    • Jason Opalinski

ummmm, yeah, then would it be ok if we blame you when a zombie apocalypse comes?!?!?!..... a bunch of dead zombies with long hair....what will you think of next?....a school for ants?!?!?!

October 22, 2013 at 16:46 | Report abuse |
  15. rkdres

Enough of this frankenstein crap, be an adult and embrace your chrome dome

October 22, 2013 at 14:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • uh-huh

"because it looks a million times better to shave your balding head than to have a comb over"... sure. now they can wear a turtle-neck too with that shaved head. What do you suppose that reminds you of? Looks a million times better. sure. whatever

October 22, 2013 at 14:44 | Report abuse |
  16. sreddin

Let's be real. everyone who says they like being bald....think about this...I have never met a person who had a full head of hair shave it and keep it bald.....

October 22, 2013 at 14:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • uh-huh

exactamente

October 22, 2013 at 14:45 | Report abuse |
    • David

Lots of guys do actually.

October 22, 2013 at 19:41 | Report abuse |
  17. manyote

Oh no! Does that mean the "rat tail" will be coming back with men?

October 22, 2013 at 15:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. blf83

My ex used to complain about her "mousey" hair, so she had it colored.

October 22, 2013 at 16:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. DgC

If new hair follicles genetically matched the people they came from, wouldn't that raise concerns from potential stem cell donors? A hair left at a crime scene is linked back to you…because the criminal had had hair replacement therapy using this method, and the doctors used stem cells donated at your birth. DNA testing using hair could be tricky.

October 22, 2013 at 16:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. DgC

On second thought, I guess the stem cell wouldn't affect the DNA of the hair as that would come from the hair follicles/skin...and you would need to graft another persons skin. so never mind.

October 22, 2013 at 16:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Jeff Wayne

You'll have hair. Unfortunately, you'll also have an unquenchable hunger for cheese and an incessant maze fetish ...

October 22, 2013 at 16:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. mary

Its a very sad thing for many who have lost their hair.. some men shave their heads and look fine, actually like themselves that way.. But for women and those who want hair..Baldness is sad.
    The joking is ok. But baldness really is a painful issue for a lot of people.
    So I hope this works.

October 22, 2013 at 16:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. davecu

What does the rat think of this procedure.
    I'm NOT allied with PETA but I question how our vanity requires the suffering of other species.
    Oh, I'm bald for 30 years and quite comfortable with it.

October 22, 2013 at 17:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Craig Garrett

Using infant foreskins, which are amputated from children who cannot consent, is highly unethical. They need to look for other ways to do this.

October 22, 2013 at 17:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. revolting peasant

I was doing fine until that part of using infant foreskin. How many infant foreskins does it take to cure baldness in an adult male? Next thing you know men will be pushing to have babies to harvest the foreskin. eeek

October 22, 2013 at 17:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. David B

Baldness needs a cure. I started Losing my hair at 19 and no matter who said what It still bothered me. I went through several surgeries in which my head became scared and disfigured. I then went to a doctor in Australia who repaired me and feel so much better. For those who say Bald is Beautiful I say Baloney! If it were then all women and men would be bald and the Hair Replacement business would not be a billion dollar a year industry. Do not believe that losing your hair does not change peoples personality either. It does. Like losing a limb you will always ask why do others have theirs & I dont. I am glad a cure is coming as bald is a life destroyer. I do not believe it is what you make of it because those who speak do not walk in the young mans shoes. Speak to any person who has alopecia and they will tell you how bad of an effect it has. Do not listen to those who speak without experience.

October 22, 2013 at 18:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pixie

Hey David, I totally agree with you. Losing hair that early is devistating. Young people place too much emphasis on looks anyhow, but having to worry about hairloss is a complete ego destroyer. I suffered from deep depression and didn't even want to go out in public because of my hairloss. I would get my hair cut at the salon, only to have the stylists tell me over and over how thin it was and make me feel like a freak of nature. Sure, it's just a bunch of dead protein growing out of your noggin, but christ, lose it or have it thin out and you feel completely vulnerable.

October 22, 2013 at 18:47 | Report abuse |
  27. Pixie

Yay! All men! You do realize that a LOT of women suffer from alopecia too? I started thinning when I was 13 and have been wearing hair pieces since I was 20. Too bad you couldn't find one woman out there.

October 22, 2013 at 18:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. LOL

I could almost see my cat going in to a full blown nervous breakdown.....

October 22, 2013 at 18:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. svann

It's guaranteed 99% human hair, but the cats keep following me around.

October 22, 2013 at 18:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Carl

White hair? Who cares! We can always color it. Start trials on humans. I need 2400 grafts. I am in!

October 22, 2013 at 18:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. JeffinIL

What's creepier than back hair? Giving mice human back hair.

October 22, 2013 at 19:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Sierra Sniper

Most 12 grand hair transplants look like they come from Walmart. If this can be commercialized it should bring even more. Sure, Rogaine takes a hit. But think of all the surgeons and dermatologists that will jump on it. Even if its a one time treatment they will make loads. Plus obamacare is reducing the pay of many doctors. Good income supplement. Guarantee that after this comes out they will be doing it in Tijuana for American tourists within a couple weeks.

October 22, 2013 at 19:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Garrison

"I want to see what it feels like in my hand."

October 22, 2013 at 19:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. David

I started losing my hair in my mid twenties. For awhile I actually used to use that hair in a can stuff and spray my head! It actually worked pretty well and looked good believe it or not. A lot of professional make up people use that stuff on actors in movies. Only problem is if you start dating a girl or just have a one night stand and they run their hands through your hair they are going to get some residue on them! How embarrassing. About six years ago I decided to have a hair transplant because I wanted to stop using the spray stuff and was worried that if I just stopped people would know I had "fake hair" So I spent a lot of money on a hair transplant and I did not get the results I expected, the way they present them on the late night TV commercials. I wound up shaving my head but then I was insecure about the big scar I had from the hair transplant surgery. I was depressed and anxious about this and had to go see a psychiatrist and get on anti-depressants. I felt suicidal. All of this crap over something silly like hair! So my advice is for any balding guy out there with or without hair transplants to just shave your head and be proud to be bald. If you had a hair transplant that you are not happy with, the appearance of the scar can be reduced with certain products like Mederma. Being bald is not that big of a deal and I wished I had realized this sooner and learned to accept it and I would have saved myself a lot of money and aggravation. These companies just take advantage of people who are insecure and they make me sick.

October 22, 2013 at 19:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Lateris

Back in February 16, 2011, UCLA-VA researchers may have accidentally discovered a solution for hair loss. A team led by researchers from UCLA and the Veterans Administration that was investigating how stress affects gastrointestinal function back in 2011 have found a chemical compound that induces hair growth by blocking a stress-related hormone associated with hair loss entirely by accident. There has never been a follow up story since.

Source:

October 22, 2013 at 19:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Mister Clean

If doctors can graft skin from a cadaver onto burn victims, why not transfer scalps from the dead to those in need of hair? Seems like the next logical step, and many people are organ donors, which includes skin... So......

Me personally, I wanted to be bald from the time I was 16... I started getting my hair cut very short as a teenager, and eventually started using a razor on it. I find hair extremely over-rated.. It's hard to take care of, and hot in the summer. The only advantage I can see is protecting your head from the Sun when you forget to wear a hat.

My girlfriend says she likes my head shaved. She must since he is constantly touching and rubbing my scalp ;-)

October 22, 2013 at 20:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. John

The very same article came out in 2006 and the time period for the start on humans was 3 to 5 years. The study was done somewhere in England. The article indicated stated that when you when a cut of the skin heals it goes through the same process as growing hair. Hmmm .....yet another BS article about "could". And, 5 more years. Unfortunately, my wrinkles and saggy fat and other areas are uglifying each time a new "hair cure" comes along that "could, maybe, possibly" work. In 5 years there will be another article that they are just 5 years away.

October 22, 2013 at 20:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Joe Silva

Hair? I wish they'd put half the effort and money on a cure for cancer. No profit in that, life is to cheap.

October 22, 2013 at 20:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Rob

I'm offended by the catch-line "Mice may hold cure for baldness". Cure. The arrogant presumption of the author. As if we're somehow sick, and need repairing? I like being bald. I love the fact that it takes me 2.5 seconds to dry my hair in the morning. I feel like the mutants in the 3rd X-men who were persecuted for being different and everyone thought they needed help.

Obviously, there are those lose hair for different medical reasons, and would like some form of treatment, but I'm sure the vast majority are young to middle aged men with an ego issue.

The poor mice, is all I can say.

October 22, 2013 at 20:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. bob

This is the worst science headline I have seen in a long time. the procedure they are talking about in itself would not involve mice, they are just testing it there because human trials are expensive. no mie would be required and mice are not any source of the new hair, they are a medium to test the growth. Please for the love of all that is good have someone with a basic understanding of science write these articles and headlines and stop with the sensational and terrible headlines that are truly making people dumber.

October 22, 2013 at 20:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. JCS

It's a few years off until we can use it. In the meantime, can I just get wear a few of those rats on top of my head?

October 23, 2013 at 09:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Mike

"Head Fur" was only important to cavemen and now today's societies who are the most primitive. Ever seen a Barber Shop in New Jersey? It's like a casting call for Planet of the Apes.

October 23, 2013 at 10:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. ATK

When I was younger, I had thick, ugly brown hair like all the other schmucks on my block. I shaved my head to look different and soon after I met my wife. She really liked the sexy look and the way it felt but she made me grow my hair back after we got married so I would look less attractive to other women. Go figure! lol

October 23, 2013 at 11:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Curlee

Interesting stock photo of a woman with nice hair on the cover page. I suppose baldness with men is so customary, that baldness is now a women's concern only. It's bad enough that most health articles focus on women only and leave out the men. But now baldness is no longer a man's concern???

October 25, 2013 at 13:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Cynthia Halls

I've made $64,000 so far this year working online and I'm a full time student. Im using an online business opportunity I heard about and I've made such great money. It's really user friendly and I'm just so happy that I found out about it. Heres what I do, http://www.Cloud200.com

October 28, 2013 at 11:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. blackangel52

I don't think there is anything really viable,it's just blowing smoke, keep our minds off other things affecting us. I don't know, really. I just feel that they are feeding us a bunch of garbage, worthless garbage. " trials in five years", right, that was said five years ago about another treatment, and they will say the same thing in five years. hope the public isn't stupid enough to invest in this sham

November 1, 2013 at 23:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Mitch Vansen

I quit working at shoprite and now I make $35h – $80h...how? I'm working online! My work didn't exactly make me happy so I decided to take a chance on something new… after 4 years it was so hard to quit my day job but now I couldn't be happier. Heres what I do, Dow12DotCom

November 3, 2013 at 11:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. jasinov

wonderful article thank you i wish you more successful

December 13, 2013 at 17:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. shiquehairextensions

Really wonderful article. shiquehairextensions.com.au

December 27, 2013 at 02:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. hair-care

That was quite an ‘hair raising’ post if i could say thus. That being aforementioned, the post went ‘hair, there and everywhere’ talking concerning bushy pursuits
    hair-care.