home
RSS
Suicides almost double among 50-somethings
May 3rd, 2013

Suicides almost double among 50-somethings

Teen suicides often get the most media attention - tragic stories like that of Canadian teen Amanda Todd remind us that depression is a serious mental health issue for adolescents. But a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows more attention needs to be directed at preventing suicide in adults as well.

Between 1999 and 2010, suicides in the 35-to-64 age group increased 28.4%, according to the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. Suicides among people aged 50 to 59 years old specifically almost doubled during that time period.

More than 38,000 Americans killed themselves in 2010; that's more than double those who were killed in a homicide that same year, according to the CDC. In 2009, the number of deaths from suicide in the United States surpassed the number of deaths from motor vehicle crashes for the first time.

“Suicide is a tragedy that is far too common,” CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden said in a statement. “This report highlights the need to expand our knowledge of risk factors so we can build on prevention programs that prevent suicide.”

Suicide rates in this age group were highest among American Indians and Alaska Natives, according to the report. The next biggest increase was seen in whites. Among American Indians and Alaska Natives, the suicide rate for women jumped 81.4%; for men it was a 59.5% increase.

The three most common suicide methods were firearms, poisoning and suffocation.

Nobody has data yet on why suicides are increasing in this age group, says Lanny Berman, executive director of the American Association of Suicidology. "But the working assumption is that it's related to the economic recession."

The 2007 recession affected middle-aged males more than any other demographic, he says. Job loss and other financial difficulties can lead to depression.

We're probably never going to have a causal explanation for the growing suicide rate, Berman says, but future research may be able to show specific trends that were occurring side-by-side during the same time period.

If you or a loved one needs help, please call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or visit Suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

1. Woody

In the 1940's the average age at death was 50 . I have had 5 surgeons tell me the human body is only meant for about 50 years of life and many people in their 50's are on some sort of medication . We can hope for more years but hope is all we have and for many the skyrocketing cost of medicine and medical insurance puts many at risk of dying younger . That is our reality no matter if we want to deal with it or not . The whole thing in a nut shell is will we be able physically able to work to be able to afford to live life past 50 ? Without insurance just a kidney stone is 15,000.00 . So how without being able to afford insurance or work are you supposed to be able to afford 250,000.00 for a heart problem ? Life is not magic our bodies break down and most need their bodies to be able to work to pay for the insurance that most need to be able to afford to stay alive . The question today is , can we afford to live past 50 with a broken down body ?

May 4, 2013 at 15:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • bubbanj

Do you have any scientific backing for that claim, the largest decrease in mortality has been the decrease in mortality under 5 this knocks the average up without increasing life expectancy much, many of our founding fathers lived to quite old ages. You can look this up in any history book, or if necessary Wikipedia. No person with a real scientific background has ever told anyone that humans only live to 50, you can find octogenarians in herding and agrarian cultures all around the world. I am not sure what kind of troll you are, but the decrease in smoking and toxic working environments probably has more to do with extended lifespans than modern medicine, If I were you I would look at the even longer lifespans in countries where very few people are on medication after the age of 50.

May 4, 2013 at 16:27 | Report abuse |
    • Steve CaboWabo

The vast majority of people who are 50 and who are on meds are people who have had a poor diet, lack of exercise and unhealthy lifestyles. Sure some of them have issues beyond that, genetics and other causes but nationwide obesity and the causes of it are a major health issue and it compounds over time.
      Check out the video on Netflix called: Sick, Fat and Nearly Dead.

May 4, 2013 at 16:28 | Report abuse |
    • Stellar17

A hot topic in the UK currently is that people are living much longer than expected. They state the many new drugs available as a factor in the greater numbers of the population living into their 80's. 90's and even 100's. Of course they have a National Health Service over there, so people get the treatment they need to survive, but the impact of the additional strain on the systems in place is a major concern. When the pension plan was instigated, no-one expected people to claim for 30 years after retirement age!

May 4, 2013 at 16:56 | Report abuse |
    • FiftyEight

Cure for kidney stone or any stone is to drink lemon juice. If you drink it undiluted the stone will be gone in a week. People that get stones don't produce a certain kind of acid in their systems.

Cure for heart disease (and cancer) is the Budwig diet. Basically, quarter cup of cottage cheese mixed with 2TBsp of ground flaxseed every morning. It's a statin. Google ,"Iowa State NWRC study finds flaxseed lowers high cholesterol in men." Google the PDF "DIRECTIONS FOR BUDWIG’S WELLNESS PROGRAM." Stop worrying about death and start living forever.

May 4, 2013 at 17:02 | Report abuse |
    • James Smallwood

Second Chance
      By James Smallwood

When you’re asked to write your story about the day you decided to commit suicide, jump in front of the train, where do you begin?
      Ironically, the first of my significant memories takes me back to the time I was 5 years old, sitting on top of my father’s shoulders as he was standing near the railroad tracks at Hollywood Park, waving as the train approached, mail bag hanging from the hook, and the engineer straining out the window, waving back, horn blaring.
      My next memory it was 1954 and I was 8 years old. I remember feeling completely terrified of my father, hopelessly depressed and alone, sobbing and screaming under my pillow at night, hiding in the closet, under my bed, in cupboards, never feeling safe, and terrified that I would die; that I knew I had nowhere to hide, and it was then I remember the first time I secretly started cutting my wrists.
      My father was physically, emotionally, and psychologically abusive. I had recurring nightmares of monsters, dreams of being trapped, being swallowed by dinosaurs, and wishing that magically I could become invisible, but of course that would be impossible; maybe if I was dead I’d be safe and no longer feel this overwhelming loneliness and pain. From then on those feelings became physically unbearable. All I could do to feel in control was keep cutting my wrists and run away from home.
      Through the years, year after year, these feelings never went away or really subsided, I suffered daily, day after day, and only occasionally there would be a glimpse of light, a day when these feelings didn’t overwhelm me; only to have that light snuffed out and once again sink into that same old familiar abyss of depression and loneliness.
      I tried to live a “normal” life. I went to college, got married and moved away from home. Only to get divorced, move back home, get married again, and move away from home. This time to Santa Barbara were I went to the university, started to get my degree in Sociology, only to once again get divorced. But this time it was devastating. It was the second time in a row that I came home one day and my wife was gone; no goodbye, no closure, only deepening and widening my gaping, open wound of abandonment.
      It’s 1980, I’m 34 years old, my wife has just left, I’m out of work, out of money, living in my truck in someone’s driveway, it’s winter, raining constantly, my truck just broke down, and I know, that truck is like my life; broken and going nowhere. I’ve decided to take charge; I’m putting an end to all these years of depression and abandonment and the long string of failed marriages. I’m 34 years old, standing at the edge of the train tracks, waiting for the train, more than ready to jump; I’m ready to take my leap into freedom.
      At the time I didn’t make the connection, the association, back to when I was 5, but there I was, standing at the edge of the railroad tracks, just at the curve. But this time when the train came around that curve it would be quick, and impossible for the train to stop. Once I jumped into the train, in an instant it would be all over; the feelings that I was the victim of a lifetime of deep, incurable depression would end in that moment. And worse than the depression, that glimmer of hope that I had clung to like a small lifesaver adrift in an endless sea of hopelessness, thinking that maybe someday the depression would end, and I would know and feel and live a life of freedom and happiness; even that glimmer of hope felt like part of the curse too.
      All of a sudden without notice, I’m out of my body, hovering 40 or 50 feet above the tracks. And I’m looking down at my body parts strewn down the rails, an arm, my legs, my torso, severed head, and guts, everywhere. Then I see my parents, a few people who know me, an ambulance, a fire truck, and several police cars. I look down and see my body parts, but I’m up here, as if I’m still alive, as if I still exist. I’m not feeling depressed anymore; what I’m feeling is 1,000 times more horrible.
      I’m alone, no god, no angels, no one around me, and no one is going to be around, for a long, long, long time. No one is going hear me or see me, or come and get me; I’m in a place of infinite and endless darkness, terrifyingly alone. Worse, I’m looking down at my parents, my mom grieving, suffering, and sobbing, in absolute anguish. And my father, crying, heartbroken, wondering why, what did he do wrong, how did he fail me, and is this really happening or just a really bad dream?
      Now I’m feeling their anguish, their grief, their suffering, and a deep grief and anguish that is not going to ever go away, the grief and suffering that they’re going to feel for the rest of their life, grief and suffering that I caused, and worse, I can’t change, I can’t make it go away; it’s too late because I committed suicide. Not only am I feeling all of my overwhelming anguish and terror and grief, I’m also feeling theirs.
      I think, with no body of my own, I’m feeling everything. And on some deep level I know that I’m stuck with these feelings, in this realm, alone, for a long, long, long time. There will be no way out, no god to come and get me, no way through, no relief, and I also “know” that I really am in a different realm. A realm where there is absolutely no way out and no chance of reincarnating for hundreds, if not thousands of lifetimes.
      Suddenly I’m back in my body again standing at the edge of the railroad tracks. I look around and feel as if the “vision” I had lasted a long time, but it only lasted a moment, only a small, brief moment. And as I think about the vision, once again a deep feeling of “knowing” comes to me. More than being shown, I know I actually experienced what would happen if I really committed suicide; because I was taken to the other side. And as I reflected on that experience, as if it really did happen, as if it wasn’t a dream or my imagination, as if it really happened, a bolt of knowing hit me like a bolt of lightning and I knew; I stood there thinking, knowing, “that’s purgatory”. I was alone, feeling overwhelming anguish, suffering, grief, and remorse, and not for just awhile, but for a long, long, long time. And, that there would be NO WAY OUT.
      As I look back, I realize that day I was given a great gift. And whether or not I do or don’t believe in “purgatory” or reincarnation, whether or not I think that might happen, or would happen, I know I was shown what would happen as a result of me committing suicide. I was also shown a great teaching that most of us don’t realize, or we forget, lost in our own story, lost in our own selfish, self-centered life. And that is, in spite of what we think and how we feel, we do not live in a bubble. Our thoughts and feelings and actions, and the consequences of our actions are not isolated events that are separate from everyone else in our life.
      You see, what that vision showed me is that I am not alone, and I am not separate from everyone else in my life, and maybe I am also not separate from all beings on this planet. We are all connected to each other; we are all connected in our conscious mind, and in our subconscious mind. And that everything I do, and think, and feel affects everyone I know; everyone in my life, and just maybe everyone else on this planet. I know I was given a huge gift; I was given a second chance without attempting suicide. I’ve been told that I experienced a “conscious near death experience”.
      Whereas most people who attempt suicide actually die and are unconscious, I was fortunate to be conscious and be taken to the other side. I am even more fortunate to be here, telling you my story, sharing my experience, imparting the teaching I was given; that we are not alone, that life is a gift, and that things change no matter if you feel like you are under a lifetime curse. We are not alone, we are all connected, we are one, and we are all loved, unconditionally.

Live life fully,
      James

May 4, 2013 at 17:20 | Report abuse |
    • copanut

It's hard to take this seriously. What is the meaning of "only meant for about 50 years of life"? Meant by whom? Throughout recorded history humans who have gotten past the high mortality age of infancy and gotten past the high violence period of 15-25, have typically gone on to live to 70 to 80 or more. Human life has not been extended much. The life expectancy on average has increased mostly because you are less likely to die young. If you made it to 50 in 1800, you would most likely go on to live to 70 or 80.

As a matter of fact, the average age at death of the first 10 presidents was 77.4 years. The average age at death of the most recent 10 presidents (excluding those still living or assassinated) was 76.7 years.

May 4, 2013 at 18:47 | Report abuse |
    • copanut

And by the way, your statistic is wrong. The average age of death in 1940 was not 50. It was 62.9. Source: National Center for Health Statistics

May 4, 2013 at 18:53 | Report abuse |
    • copanut

"...the inclusion of infant mortality rates in calculating life expectancy creates the mistaken impression that earlier generations died at a young age; Americans were not dying en masse at the age of 46 in 1907. The fact is that the maximum human lifespan — a concept often confused with "life expectancy" — has remained more or less the same for thousands of years. The idea that our ancestors routinely died young (say, at age 40) has no basis in scientific fact."

– Benjamin Radford, "Human Lifespans Nearly Constant for 2,000 Years"

May 4, 2013 at 18:58 | Report abuse |
    • Chiku

Steve is right. Undisciplined pigs bring it on themselves.

May 4, 2013 at 19:02 | Report abuse |
    • Joe Mauro

what baloney!!

May 4, 2013 at 20:00 | Report abuse |
    • Michael D

I think people would be surprised that those numbers just may be correct. Life expectancy in the world in 2010 was at roughly 67, so that is only 17 years over 50. That would only be an improvement of 17 years over nearly 70 years so it would be possible. There are countries today that have a life expectancy of less than 40.

May 4, 2013 at 21:04 | Report abuse |
    • Visara

Actually, life expectancy in the 40s was about 64 years old, not 50. Look it up.

May 4, 2013 at 21:25 | Report abuse |
    • Chiku

James, your story is eloquent in parts and compelling if true, but I don't understand the part about your dad. You said he was very abusive in all ways. Then in your vision at the tracks, you saw him upset. Wondering what he did wrong. It is not consistent. Not accusing, just confused.

The only reason I am here reading about suicide is because my parents abused me very horribly. The only reason I have ever contemplated suicide is purely to never see the faces or hear the voices of those two evil animals. They confined me to a room every weeknight during the school year until the end of high school. With no phone or tv or going out or music or human contact. Wrote in a letter a few years ago that this was no big deal and should be the rule for all students in school and college in this country, no exceptions. They beat me a lot and sent me to two military schools. Abandoned me in a foreign country later and paid thirty thousand dollars to criminals running an unaccredited dump in south India posing as a school after they harassed me for three years and I had nothing to show for it. And despite my begging and pleading with them not to. There is even much else but I have been typing this stuff for many years and sick of it.

So i didn't understand the part with your dad. I am not going to commit suicide bc I know the afterlife is nonsense and a crutch for people who can't face reality. I know this because I have no liking or attachment to any person in this world. I wish no ill on my two siblings, but other than that, there is not one of you in this world whose death, injury, or misfortune would bother me one iota. Sorry, it is disturbing to write publicly, but we have free speech and I will use it. I fear no one. Have nothing to hide and our nosy govt can question me at my house, that is fine. I am using my right to free speech, period.

May 4, 2013 at 23:23 | Report abuse |
    • AS

> I have had 5 surgeons tell me the human body is only meant for about 50 years of life and many people in their 50's are on some sort of medication

I wonder how these doctors reconcile their 50 year theory with the vast number of humans that lived well into their 70's, 89's & 90's long before surgery's & modern medicine. I can understand that for some people, genetics may limit their lives to 50 year, but for many others, not so much.

May 4, 2013 at 23:50 | Report abuse |
    • optimistic

Hopelessness is a chronic ilnes that only God can cure.

May 5, 2013 at 00:54 | Report abuse |
    • R Schier

"In the 1940's the average age at death was 50 ."

I think you have the 1940's confused with the 1240's.

May 5, 2013 at 08:40 | Report abuse |
    • DaMeglet

Actually, life expectancy increased dramatically after the introduction of antibiotics. Before that, a lot of children and young adults died from illnesses and infections, dragging down the average life expectancy for humans. Back in those days, when you got sick, your immune system either prevailed, or you died.

May 5, 2013 at 09:58 | Report abuse |
    • John

The medical industry thrives due to one thing. Our fear of dying.

May 5, 2013 at 11:09 | Report abuse |
    • seaann

No Woody, its the life style that cuts many lives short, as well as people having no hope for the future.Sometimes its genetic

From this data, it appears that this could be depression. Healthy happy people don't take their own lives.

Mankind was meant to live forever. Adam & Eve disobedience is the sentence of death for their off springs. Genesis 2:16-17

The beauty is Jesus gave his life so we would have a hope of living forever in God's New World so near at hand. In that New World death will be a thing of the past. Isaiah 25:8 "death will be swallowed up for ever.

To be able to benefit of these provisions John 17:3 shows "Taking in knowledge of the Only True God and His Son means everlasting life. The static are high 81.4 %. Mankind offers no hope for people.

Only the Creator of Mankind can clean up the mess man has made.Genesis 1:1 God Created the heavens and the earth.
      Those people who have died will be resurrected back to a life here on earth, all the problems we see will be gone. Revelation 21:3,4. This is a solid hope for the future. Yes man can live forever in God's New World Psalms 37:29

May 6, 2013 at 10:05 | Report abuse |
  2. K Ols

I think at least part of the explanation is because people age 50 and above have the hardest time finding a job @ employers don't want to hire them probably because they were at an age where they made more money than someone younger and because age 50 and up are unemployed longer and therefore get very depressed. The human resources consensus has always been if the job pays less than your former job you're still looking.
    Employers need to get a grip because employees are no longer loyal to a company because their employer isn't loyal to them. Gone are the days when someone stays with the same employer for 30 or 40 years. If people don't stay that long there is no excuse not to hire people because you think they aren't long term employees.

May 4, 2013 at 15:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Stellar17

and in recent years, millions of people were laid off due to economic recession, they lost jobs through no fault of their own and in the 50 and up age group it is very tough to get rehired. Many highly qualified and experienced workers are lucky if they can get a job flipping burgers these days and that job won't pay the high cost of living in the US these days. A lot of our prime jobs are outsourced, or "insourced" through H1 visas these days, with the excuse that they can't find qualified US workers. If we initiated re-training programs we could improve our economy and restore the self respect of a lot of disenfranchised and depressed individuals.

May 4, 2013 at 17:02 | Report abuse |
    • Rickey

You expressed my exact thoughts. I am in that age bracket and it is unreal how 50 years are being treated in the job market at this time. I spent 25 years building my career to a decent wage, now I find it difficult to find work. Most of my piers that have found themselves laid off in the same age bracket are also experiencing the same issues. I would say this is a major impact on the increase in suicides for that age bracket. Our society still equates a person's worth to their work or money earned. By 50 we're so tied up in mortgage, kids in college, that to loose work and being unble to secure a decent wage paying job is a major shock to our lives.

May 4, 2013 at 20:09 | Report abuse |
  3. ArchieDeBunker

Isn't it amazing that the more the Government "guarantees" (tee hee) our lives, cradle to grave, the more people commit suicide? This trend has been seen more pronouncedly in those "wonderful" countries like Denmark, Sweden, Finland, etc. – and the increase parallels the rise of socialism in those countries – perhaps that's because the more the government gives you in terms of welfare and other free stuff, the more it takes away from you in terms of freedom and incentive. Lots of people, when they find out they don't have to work to stay alive any more also find out that they can't figure out a reason to stay alive any more. Surprised? Not me – I've always worked for a living – and still do (I'm 69 years old).

May 4, 2013 at 15:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • fozzyespeak

Yes,it was Socialism plan and simple that is making these people kill themselves. Why did we not all see this before! A tip of the tinfoil hat to you Archie.

May 4, 2013 at 16:20 | Report abuse |
    • Stellar17

Consider yourself fortunate that you have always had a job and retained your self respect. It must be nice to gloat! Those who were unfortunate to be laid off through no fault of their own, wish they were in your shoes. It is because they are not, that many feel they are failures and see no future for themselves. For every person who has a job, millions have had to sacrifice their livelihoods so that we can keep ours, for that we shouldn't criticize, but give thanks and try and be part of the solution.

May 4, 2013 at 17:05 | Report abuse |
    • thataway

I am not a fan of socialism, but I am always amazed how people can turn any issue on its head or even spin it accordingly. You sir have won the "spin" award for the day! The amazing part is that you really believe that socialism is causing suicide. Oh boy! Please.... This has nothing to do with socialism OR capitalism. It has to do with the economy, health, mental issues, etc.

May 4, 2013 at 17:11 | Report abuse |
    • David

Stupid comment. People who are unemployed will feel much better if you take away their unemployment benefits by your logic I guess?

May 4, 2013 at 17:21 | Report abuse |
    • FreeLiu

Isn't it amazing that the increase in suicides is in direct correlation with the increase in private ownership of firearms ?

May 4, 2013 at 17:24 | Report abuse |
    • EVN

Your name says it all. But the facts are that suicide rates in Scandanavian countries are lower than in the U.S. (but don't let that get in your way). And the article was also about the doubling of suicide rates in America among 50 to 59 year olds, but staying on topic is too much of a strain for you.

Personally I am not surprised at the phenomenon and it relates directly to the economy. Lose your job in America in your 50's and for too many its the end of their career, all to often at a time when they are still wallowing in debt, facing children going to college with the high tuition rates and low prospects of jobs afterwards, and on the cusp of retirement coming to the realization that you haven't saved enough, life did not turn out as you had hoped or planned, and what's left of your future is bleak. Add a health issue or two, the inability to pay for it now that you're unemployed, and perhaps the real surprise is not the doubling of suicide rates in this demographic, but the fact that it is only twice as high as it had been.

May 4, 2013 at 21:16 | Report abuse |
    • Einstein

Rather than give unemployed people handouts, wouldn't it just be easier to push them off the edge of the earth?

May 5, 2013 at 05:04 | Report abuse |
    • Mohuck

Socialism: the root of ALL evil. If people would just go to church more...

May 5, 2013 at 08:48 | Report abuse |
  4. K Ols

There is no point in fighting over which generation is better or worse. That's exactly what politicians want; everyone at each other's throats.

May 4, 2013 at 15:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. simplyput

The average age of death used to be 48 years in this country, before medicine got advanced enough to hand out life-extending surgeries and meds. Who's to blame? We enjoy the advances the civiliazation has provided, and then complain because we can't cope. It's just life, and it's the same for every generation. Man alone is not equipped to handle the challenges God creates. Good idea not to be alone.

May 4, 2013 at 15:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steve CaboWabo

That's not fully (to some extent you are right) how 'life expectancy' works. It is an average of people overall, including children dying in the first year.
      wikipediadotorg/wiki/Life_expectancy#Life_expectancy_variation_over_time
      Medicine and modern sanitation and knowledge has reduced the number of infant and other deaths and so the life expectancy as a number has risen.

May 4, 2013 at 16:34 | Report abuse |
    • Stellar17

It is man who has created the challenges, for each other and for the planet and that is why we are in the mess today. If we don't change, it will only get worse.

May 4, 2013 at 17:07 | Report abuse |
  6. cleo

I observed that a lot of the comments are about finances. But I was wondering, if that's the case, why do blacks not commit suicide at the highest rate in this age group?

I think it is about values. If you let the world tell you that you are only worth your bank balance, then you will probably be unhappy to the extent that you accept that. I think these statistics indicate that, for some reason, the world has been more successful at telling white males that they are only worth a bank balance. Now I don't know if that is because of the setup of the community, or because of the education or what. But I think that is what needs to change.

Also, respect for the elders. I notice a lot of devaluing of the 40-50 plus crowd in these comments. And I can't help but wonder how many... say ... hispanics... would devalue their parents and grandparents in such a fashion. I would wager not many. Same with blacks... I've lived in cities like Minneapolis, NY, Chicago, DC, Houston, all over, and the blacks are the only demographic I see using "sir" and "ma'am" towards their own elders no matter what city you are in. In fact, I've seen some of our women actually take offense at being called "ma'am" by our youth.

I don't know... it just makes me think that maybe in addition to other communities being able to learn something from us... we might be able to learn something from them as well.

May 4, 2013 at 16:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

Racist comments.

May 4, 2013 at 17:22 | Report abuse |
    • Chiku

Right, black and Hispanic youth are respectful to elders. Half of them are in gangs, what planet do you reside on

May 4, 2013 at 18:07 | Report abuse |
  7. Jim

I fail to see why "more resources should be put toward preventing suicide" in folks 50 or older. At that age they've lived a long life. Their children are grown. They're becoming old enough that health issues are more prominent in their lives. Life can be hard and folks that age, are plenty capable of deciding when to end their own lives. It's about as personal a matter as there is and everybody has the right to decide for their self, without pressure from family or society. There's nothing cowardly about the act either, as is sometimes said. Rather it's a remarkably courageous and often considerate act, in my opinion.

May 4, 2013 at 16:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steve CaboWabo

The same weird logic could be applied to any age. If a young person has an illness, if a person can not have kids, etc.

May 4, 2013 at 16:35 | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer Falanga

Suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness and cowardice. I say this as the widow of a man who committed suicide three years ago. There is nothing courageous about killing yourself. Courage would be choosing to face your problems head on, to be a husband and a father and take responsibility for your actions. A coward decides death is a better option and leaves problems for someone else to clean up. A courageous person confronts their problems head-on and fights to keep living. Life is a gift. It's up to you how well you live it.

May 4, 2013 at 21:13 | Report abuse |
  8. Henry

As a future suicide (probably later this year) I was disappointed that the story didn't give details on the best way to do it.

Guess I'll have to decide for myself. I'll probably rent a gun and buy a bullet.

Ta-Ta

May 4, 2013 at 16:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chiku

Don't mock the truly hopeless and depressed who kill themselves by talking about your future suicide, for which there can never be proof until it happens. The truly depressed actually do it. Only attention seekers come on CNN and say they will do it.

May 4, 2013 at 17:11 | Report abuse |
    • Yvonne

Dear Henry, please don't do it.

May 4, 2013 at 21:48 | Report abuse |
  9. Lean6

One word: Feminism. The complete breakdown of family values and family structure.

May 4, 2013 at 17:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • rare_earth

To a certain extent, you're correct.

May 4, 2013 at 23:17 | Report abuse |
    • Winston5

...to a certain extent: you're an I d i o t !

May 5, 2013 at 06:21 | Report abuse |
    • betty

So sorry that women having equal rights has caused you to become impotent! 🙂

May 5, 2013 at 09:30 | Report abuse |
  10. Palma

I think I understand why suicide is increasing in this age group. It is harder to keep up with life. At work you become less competative, it is harder to perform you tasks. Your memory and processing is declining. Your health is not improving with age. You have more chances to be laid off and if you do it is really hard to find a new job. Retirement age is being pushed further and further . There is a lot of unsertanties in the future regarding social security and medicare. You can't see the light in the end of tunnel. Children are growing up but still need your assistance... I can continue this list...

May 4, 2013 at 17:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. chet

Geez I wonder why?? Could it be where this country is headed and what has happened to them? It couldn't be Obama's fault!

May 4, 2013 at 18:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Jmac

Seems pretty obvious that losing your employment and all that comes along with it( foreclosure,bankruptcy,etc) is the real villain here. When you give up hope after tying to find employment after 50 and finding that it is fruitless,then what? Some people would rather not be homeless and living on handouts. I would think it is a matter of hopelessness,depression and losing your dignity would be the case of suicidal increase.

May 4, 2013 at 18:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. txcutie314

Thank you James Smallwood for your story.

May 4, 2013 at 18:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. JMorcan

"Suicide rates in this age group were highest among American Indians and Alaska Natives..."

No doubt the result of hopelessness and desperation. This is only one shameful legacy of the U.S. government.

May 4, 2013 at 18:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Jusitn

I think this age group is actually the gen-X generation not the boomers.

May 4, 2013 at 19:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. walter

If indeed the majority of those killing themselves are doing so because of financial difficulties, get ready for those numbers to continue to climb. As our population continues to increase, the number of jobs available will continue to decline – and there is nothing anyone can do about that.

May 4, 2013 at 19:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Josh

Even in the good times, employers don't want to bother offering a job to someone who is 50-something.

May 5, 2013 at 09:56 | Report abuse |
  17. cpc65

I'll be 50 in just 2 1/2 years. Where are these "suicide skyrockets" they are talking about? I want to be able to strap myself onto one, light the fuse and take off and go out with a bang!

May 4, 2013 at 19:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. .

If you're over 50 and lose your job in this crappy liberal economy, you're SOL.

Like the hopey changey thingy?

May 4, 2013 at 19:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Marc

What do you expect to happen when there's no such thing as a career anymore, and if you're over 35 you can't get a job?

May 4, 2013 at 20:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Franklin

Recession, divorce, cheating spouse, Facebook...the list goes on.
    I was "happily" married for 25 years, only to find out my wife had numerous based through Facebook contacts...I thought suicide many times during the three year divorce friends and therapy worked for me you need to reach out.
    Peace.

May 4, 2013 at 20:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Robert Platt Bell

Expect to get laid off in your 50's. It happens – today more than ever.

in 1980, when the last big recession hit, my Dad was a manager of a failing auto parts plant. They laid him off and later closed the plant. He never worked again. He was hoping to work another 10 years before he retired.

Life went on. He's 90 now, and has enjoyed 35 years of retirement.

If you are in your mid-50's and laid off, well, don't despair. Life does go on. Money isn't everything, in fact, it really isn't anything worth killing yourself over.

And for you younger people out there, take a lesson from this. These idiotic sayings like, "I'll just work until I'm 70" are nonsense. They may not LET you work that long.

Structure your life so that early retirement is not only an option, but a planned-for inevitability.

I'm 53, and I could retire right now. I learned a valuable lesson from my Dad.

But even if I lost it all, I would still survive. I learned that having "things" was not as important as I thought. Life is about experiences, not about status, owning things, or having money.

FWIW. Don't kill yourself over money.

May 4, 2013 at 20:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chiku

I think your advice means little bc the reality is for most people, no money means no food or housing and no life. If you lost it all and could still survive that means you have friends or fam willing to help. Many people do not have that. Some have nobody. Many people, if they lost it all, would have no way to live. I agree possessions are not important but food and housing are.

May 4, 2013 at 22:02 | Report abuse |
  22. Lance Steele

If you are in your 50's and struggling financially, you have to read "55 And Scared sh * tless". It has real answers to get out of the dilemma of age discrimination, economic instability and a tough job market.

May 4, 2013 at 20:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. dont take ur self so seriously on these sites

......Penis penis penis

May 4, 2013 at 20:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. McBob79

Very sad. Can't help but think it's the prescriptions that are being given to people that age to help them sleep, to relax, so-called depression, ED, etc.

May 4, 2013 at 21:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. EVN

I attended one of those retirement seminars recently where they provide a free meal for a chance to convince you to use the sponsoring company's "expertise" with retirement planning and asset management issues. Another attendee answered the question of what was his retirement plan by very matter of factly saying that if his money runs out, of his health seriously fails him, its a bottle of Jim Beam, the car in the garage with tunes from his high school years cranking on the radio. You could hear a pin drop in the room, and the presenter found himself at a complete loss for words. That guy's statement, and the statistics on suicides among those in the decade pre-retirement are sad commentary on the end of the American dream for too many.

May 4, 2013 at 21:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Richard Right

Of course there is a causal explanation. The liberal dems, led by Obama, have failed to turn around the economy fast enough.Even now we have 21% of our workforce unemployed and underemployed with many having given up any hope for employment. Numerous workers lost jobs they did not regain. Pressure to feed families, pay for homes, or being disposessed became too great. Adead husband results in both social security payments for children, life insurance.

May 4, 2013 at 22:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Hasai

My entire department was outsourced last year.
    Still looking, and I am most assuredly not under-trained.
    Grey hair is the kiss of death.

May 4, 2013 at 22:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. AS

Economics, pure and simple. Un(der)employed no chance of returning the income to pre-recession levels, loss of equity in a home, little to no chance of recovering before retirement. No healthcare, kids have moved out, maybe the stress has cause a spouse to move on. The CDC shouldn't have to look too far to account for most of the issue...

May 4, 2013 at 23:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Jonus Grumby

Those 50+ know the best years of this country are in the rear view mirror and see the future as bleak, at best.

May 4, 2013 at 23:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Valwayne

Of course suicides have increased among men in their 50s. Obamas incompetent, extreme left wing policies have damamaged the economy so badly millions upon millions will never work again. Men in their 50s weren't raised to live out their lives on welfare and food stamps the way Obama is teaching the younger generations to live. Suicide may well be the best option for millions who have nothing to live for in the giant soul sucking socialist debt ridden welfare state that Obamas America has become.

May 5, 2013 at 01:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Whoahboy

Weird how they call them American "Indians" in this article instead of Native Americans.

May 5, 2013 at 01:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Whoahboy

kinda archaic.

May 5, 2013 at 01:14 | Report abuse |
    • Josh

50-somethings used to play "Cowboy and Indians", not "Cowboys and Native Americans". Whether it is Politically Correct today or not, we will always think of them as the noble Indians.

May 5, 2013 at 10:00 | Report abuse |
  32. Scott

It does not surprise me that my generation has an unnatural increase in suicides in this age range. It’s easy to see why and the root-causes began 40+ years ago. We grew up with rock stars such as KISS and have this idea that we were going to be the next rock star in everything we do. Just watch reality t.v. We are so full of ourselves that when we realize we’re not going to be the next star, we cannot handle it.
    We’re never happy or get enough. We are arrogant, selfish, and a bunch of know-it-all’s that think we know more than our Creator, God and everyone we come in contact. I cannot tell you how many times that while being out and about, someone from my age groups feels it is necessary to give me their opinion as though what I am doing is wrong whether it is grocery shopping, playing guitar in a pub, or working out in my yard. Many of my old friends are heavy drinkers, smoker’s, and drug users (mainly pot), curse and think everything they say is funny. Nothing they do is serious; life is a big joke. They’re old looking, lazy, and intolerable to be with at times. Some are also impossible to be with because they’re angry and lack any perspective on where their lives are heading and only live in the past. They live their lives glued to reality t.v. and the news and think that the media is the life’s body of knowledge. By the time one is 50, one should have some type of idea on where they are headed. Many in my generation are lost. They’ve spent their 20s, 30s, and 40s doing basically nothing. They have not built a legacy for their family and seemed tuned into one thing; obsessed with making money and thinking they’re going to be the next Buffet. Instead of seeing their lives as being blessed and being happy, they’re miserable.
    Twenty years ago I went back to college but was told many, many times it was a waste of my time. I am employed but many of my old friends are not. Have nothing; no future, no savings, no nothing. Fact is people, being 51 I am looking at the last few phases of my life and I am excited. I am not scared. I’ve worked hard and look forward to working many more years. I love to work. Retirement is not a word in my list of things to do. I have a great career, make great money and live in the best country on the planet. I’ve travelled all over the world and I am in great health. I excersize, drink moderately, and don’t take any drugs. My mind and body are clear. I advance my skills at work for more certifications and have also learned a new language. I also go to church and I am picky with whom I hang with as friends. My generation also has these new so-called neurosis which in my opinion is a load of caca. These are nothing but excuses to be lazy and take free money from the government. They see their lives after 50 as a one-way street going nowhere fast. Without faith there is no feeling of hope or happiness. We are not gods and do not have the ability to sustain ourselves. That is a huge lie taught to us by the babyboomers.
    Live in Christ because after we die, that is the real measure of our success; not money, not cars, and certainly not what you see on reality t.v.

May 5, 2013 at 04:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chiku

If you hate your friends so much, maybe you should just not hang out with them instead of slamming them repeatedly on a message board. That is rather pointless and juvenile. You can only change yourself, not anyone else and you shouldn't even be trying to change another person unless they actually ask you for help in that regard. As for your fictional deities of whom there has never been one shred of evidence that they ever existed or are real in any way and not simply a crutch for people who can't face death as the end.....if it works for you, fine. But there is no need to lecture others about it. A lot of us don't believe in fictional characters except as entertainment in literature and film.

May 5, 2013 at 14:27 | Report abuse |
  33. Einstein

A man in his 50s with no job that cannot support himself or his family is completely useless in our society. Like dragging an anchor through the desert. Feeling useless makes you depressed. Depressed people sometimes kill themselves. It's not "mental disease". If that were the only factor then suicide would be consistent over the years and move 1 to 1 with mental disease. It doesn't. Has anyone ever stopped to think that maybe these people are correct? The world is better without them. I am sure that is the case in some situations.

May 5, 2013 at 05:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chiku

Suicide may be best for them personally if they are in tremendous emotional pain which can't be fixed, but why would you say the world is better without them. If they never harmed anyone, it really wouldn't affect the world. You don't really live up to your name.

May 5, 2013 at 10:30 | Report abuse |
  34. ken

So when you get sick who cares for you? Better question do you want someone to care for you? do you wish to be a burden upon others? when you have no kids or ungrateful ones you dont get along with who do you expect is going to feed, cloth and house you? when you can no longer take care of yourself death is preferable to life. I will not ride around in a wheelchair or scout around on a walker. I will not allow my mind to deteriorate so that who i am is gone and some crazed insane person with shotty memory is left behind. Dying old in a bed surrounded by vultures (i mean loved ones) who are just waiting for you to die and wondering what to do with anything you leave behind is fine for rich folk who have something to leave behind but the poor just become a burden that stress out and make the lives of those who do care for them miserable. So bottom line, better to leave while you can on your own terms. The west has to cope with this concept better. Of all the societies in the history of humanity it seems western civilization is more afraid of death than most and less willing to accept it. If I dont want to be here who are you to tell me I am sick, depressed, need help. Death is not an enemy its a solution. That is not to say that giving up is preferable to living it is to say we all die sometime and some of us are comfortable deciding when that time is. We control very little that happens to us regardless of the republican BS that we need to take responsibility for our lives. The little bit we can control we do and one of those things is when we check out. If i had my way I would die a glorious death in battle. Not because I would gain any form of glory but because dying while attempting to do something for someone else is to me the best way to die (firefighting, stopping crime, combat in war) yes it would be painful and horrible but I would prefer it to cancer. Anyway, its about time someone started talking about death. Not trying to start a Logan's Run (dont know the reference look it up) society just saying make dying easier for those that want to leave this craphole.

May 5, 2013 at 06:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • gjett95008

The most intelligent response I've read here so far. You are correct, most of us can't handle it. The progression of old age into death for most in the US will be an experience to be feared for sure.

In the agriculture age most of us lived the same place our entire life with larger families. Farming is hard work and took a lot of labor to survive. You had a community and probably a lot of relatives close by. If your family still has this consider yourself one of the lucky few. Don't assume everyone is this lucky or can simply "work harder" to be like you.

Today many of us have to go where the work is, but jobs disappear quickly. We are a country of nomads which makes us more dependent on government help. There are people with no relatives that can help.

The right to choose assisted suicide should be federal law of the land. Its my choice.

May 5, 2013 at 12:24 | Report abuse |
    • Chiku

It is not only police, firemen, and soldiers who help people. Virtually everyone helps someone with the job they do. Doctors, lawyers, businessmen, engineers, teachers, the service industry, custodial workers. I really think you would be hard pressed to name a job that does not help people in some important way. But I think I understand what you are getting at. President John F. Kennedy used to tell his friend Paul "Red" Fay, back when they were in the Navy together two decades before becoming prez, that to die in combat was the very best way to die. Death was never far from his mind after his older brother was killed in the war and his sister died in a plane crash a few months before her wedding. JFK knew a thing or two about combat, having received the Purple Heart for his bravery.

May 5, 2013 at 14:38 | Report abuse |
  35. jed

I always liked the Woody Allen remark about suicide. Paraphrased: My parents were to busy running chicken through the de-flavorizer to think about suicide.

May 5, 2013 at 07:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. stargazer48506

So the assume it's the economy? As if people haven't heard this yet, businesses have laid off many people 50 and over and refuse to hire anyone 50 or older. Experience doesn't matter. You are worthless 50 and over to most employers. You can't retire because you’re too young, and you can't get welfare if you’re single.
    Do you understand what that means? I think not. If a person 50 or older loses their job they are less likely to find one that pays the same amount or close to it. Unemployment only lasts for a certain period of time; if you've used up all unemployment it takes a year of working to re-establish another benefit year. If you’re not disabled you can't get disability or social security in your 50's. Many states don't allow social help to single people, so all a single 50 something person would get is the federal amount of food help.
    All these hate mongering legislators want to cut back even more on social programs. When are we going to stop blaming and hating those who have all their lives worked and contributed and been victimized by the economy and government for being 50 + years old? When is the hate going to turn into help?
    The bottom line is people need hope not hate; people need meaningful employment, not living on the street not knowing where their next meal is coming from. These 50 something people, many have worked all their lives, and they have even been the haters of welfare and never thought they would be in that situation, but now they are. When your world is turned upside down and you don't know where to get help because you never needed it, you really don't know the first thing about getting help. Most communities don't even offer free health clinics to those without insurance.
    If you don't believe me, take a look around, people used to live in those repo houses, where did that many people and families go? Most 50 + aged people I know who lost their jobs now have jobs that pay less than half of what they were making. There is a point where it is easier to give up than go on when your life where an employer is concerned is over.
    What happened to compassion for fellow Americans in this great country? What happened to giving someone a hand up instead of spitting in their face and demanding they take a drug test because their employer laid them off.

You know one of the rules of defeating people is to turn them against their own people. Not every person living on the street is a drug addict; some are there because they have nowhere else to go. At what point when a person is at the bottom, at what point is there help for all of those at the bottom when we don't provide at least a roof over their heads on a cold night. Our government pays shelters to provide them a cot, but most shelters don't have enough beds for all those without housing.
    This country, God bless it, it's a wonderful country, but it has gotten so full of hate for our fellow Americans, and government that doesn't legislate, they shut down government and play games with people’s lives to the point for some people living is not worth it anymore. People have stopped demanding that their government do something to help those who Yes! Have suffered through the economic downturn. It's easier to blame them and hate them, all while a certain party in our government controls everything by not being legislators, but by being paid their full pay for refusing to do their jobs and fulfilling their duties to the American people.

May 5, 2013 at 08:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • gjett95008

Well said indeed.

May 5, 2013 at 12:28 | Report abuse |
  37. Paul

Golly, why are they killing themselves? Hmmmm, let's see. The economy crashed and they lost all their money. They are in an age bracket that corporations will not consider hiring and actively try to weed out. This country would rather bring in more people from India and other countries to do the work they are perfectly qualified to do. I wonder if the H1B Visa problem was solved – or simply if the H1B Visa requirements were actually enforced instead of letting anyone with any skill set use an H1B to come into this country and work for nothing with the intention of NOT actually staying here ..... were fixed ... then this generation would be hired, earn a living and live a happy life. Depriving them of making a living while employing people from other countries first is a huge problem and makes survival impossible.

May 5, 2013 at 08:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chiku

Your suggestion would drive up costs and possibly put the company out of business. Corporations are actually like people in the sense that they want to cut costs like everyone. Companies are also subject to Darwinian laws of nature. Romney was not so far off from the truth on this, but unfortunately the man became hated by a large segment of the population, not unlike Gore, and after a certain point people wouldn't acknowledge the truth of what he he said even if he was right.

Ten years ago, I had a good, well-paying job at a prominent computer company. My job was replaced by an automated response system. I knew it was coming as we had been warned long in advance that one of the stated corporate goals was to phase out about seventy percent of the sales force. It is not a great feeling being told you have the same skill set and abilities and value to the company as a stupid automated response system, but what can you do? They want to save money just like I want to save money. It is kind of hard to fault. I get all my stuff from wal-mart bc I personally believe if you shop anywhere else, you basically don't care about money, and No I never had any affiliation with them, past or present. I could go to one of those ripoff stores for my stuff, but why? It is no different than what you speak of.

May 5, 2013 at 14:48 | Report abuse |
  38. Chris

Obama has made it clear with his implementation of obamacare(not) that he plans to exterminate the elderly through poor healthcare, he's made it clear with his proposed cuts in SS payments (to equalize pay between those who earned more and those who didn't) that he wants to remove the hard working retirees that even made SS possible with their taxes that he plans to take care of his obamaphone, welfare, public housing constiuients that voted him into office.

May 5, 2013 at 08:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Loathstheright

You are a delusional, brainwashed foxbot.

May 5, 2013 at 12:30 | Report abuse |
  39. James

Should one expect otherwise of a greedy, morally neutral society?

May 5, 2013 at 09:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. jed

Being happy takes effort, so put in the effort.

May 5, 2013 at 09:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Josh

The one social issue is that "life time" employment is over. It use to be that as long as you did your job, and did it well, the company will keep you until you retired.

Today, that's not true. Not even at the "blue chip" companies like IBM and AT&T.

If a 50-something looses their job, their life is over. The cold reality is that they could never get a new job again. Never. Even with laws that protect against age discrimination, such is still widely done. And with no consequences. None.

A unemployed 50-something is too old for a new job, and too young to retire. Even if they are amongst the lucky few with a real pension, such isn't available to them yet.

If you want to work on suicides of those in this age group, you need to address that stark reality.

May 5, 2013 at 09:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chiku

JFK used to say "whether I serve one or two terms, I will find myself at an awkward age after leaving the presidency.....too old to begin a new career and too young to write my memoirs". Replace "write my memoirs" with "receive social security" and you have the dilemma of the fifty something crowd. But this is just a inherent and structural design of the workforce based on the priority of the corporation which is to minimize turnover and hire young people who can contribute for decades instead of just one. It is sad, but you can kinda see where they are coming from. Trust me, I am in the exact same boat as you folks. I don't have the slightest doubt that I will be delivering pizza through my fifties, same job I had in college. I am really not that far from it now anyway.

May 5, 2013 at 15:02 | Report abuse |
  42. cc

It's probably worse than the stats show since the most under-diagnosed method of suicide is probably by automobile. So take some percentage of the "deaths from motor vehicle crashes" and change those to suicide and you'll probably see that suicide passed car crashes several years ago. Of course since it's under-diagnosed the exact percentage is arguable.

May 5, 2013 at 10:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Marc

This is something I struggle with every day and no one would ever know the feelings or the pain

May 5, 2013 at 10:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Trish

Call a friend get help. This is just a chemical imbalance in your body. You will feel totally fine with some meds to get the chemicals back on track. Permanent solution to a temporary problem.

May 6, 2013 at 01:32 | Report abuse |
  44. nuclear mike

Dear Media & HollyWood...thank you for all the depressing reporting & movies where there is no hope for the future nor a Heaven to go when a good life has been lived...

May 5, 2013 at 10:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Rei

So... It was life about money?

May 5, 2013 at 11:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. henry melito

Life exists in a conversation. Suicide is a conversation for no possibility.
    The Buddha proved to the world that you can live on very little and live a life of honor and nobility. Walking , seeing, touching, enjoying the beauty that is all around us. It doesn't take millions to live simply and honestly. He also said that disolution and death were a part of this life experience. If we were to develope a culture of depth and humility our young would be honored to take care of the old and the old would deeply appraciate their care through cooperation and service.

May 5, 2013 at 11:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chiku

Not too sure about the last sentence but agree with the overall spirit. An Indian philosopher named Krishnamurti once said "reduce your desires as close to zero as possible and you will be happy", not unlike what you are saying.

May 5, 2013 at 15:14 | Report abuse |
  47. lierabl disease

why,? no hope and no change!

May 5, 2013 at 11:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. abmri60

They say if you have not made it by age forty, you might as well forget it.

May 5, 2013 at 11:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lance Steele

Actually not !!! I had nothing last year, and in December, I bought a book called "55 and Scared Sh * tless" and since then I got back on the path to having cash again. Previous to that, I had gone through a bout of unemployment and I was applying for jobs competing with guys half my age, and the jobs payed less than I was making in the mid 80's. I thought of giving up and the thought of ending it all did cross my mind. However, following the path in the book, I adapted. One must be able to adapt and recognize the times that we live in and the trends. Once you do that, you can benefit from the trends like I did. I feel human again.

May 5, 2013 at 11:37 | Report abuse |
    • Chiku

I think abmri is talking about a career track, not just having money. Money comes and goes, but a career is the most stable way to earn it consistently. Sure a random get rich quick scheme from a book may work out temporarily but rarely is it a sound strategy for the long term.

May 5, 2013 at 15:17 | Report abuse |
  49. artistgus

Maybe it's about economics, and maybe it's about being so alone. OUr world isn' t what we grew up in. It's not dinners with families, and having friends, and being an animal that likes companionship. It's become a depressing world. where all we see is kids being shot in schools, and our government not acting to do sanything. It's about oil companies withmajor spills killing off our world. It's about big companies that are greedy. It' sabout waatching our kids suffer because they can't find a job, and don't have health care, and thier bodies are breaking down. Don't worry, that life expectancy will soon fall for the US....that's what we are doing to our kids. It's about watching our grand kids, so spoiled they don't know what work is. It's about owning a business, and not finding someone to work, cause they are all glued to Facebook. It's about Facebook,a nd seeing the homeless animals, being killed daily, or horses slaughtered on Youtube. This world, isn't fun. If you have any intelligence, all y ou see is what is going on...or you bury your head in the sand. We have no values in this country anymore, kids are lazy, so maybe THAT is why so many of us in our 50's are committing suicide....and I wonder, if they questioned the rest of us, how many, secrety, would, if they could.

May 5, 2013 at 11:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Loathstheright

If you work all your life and invested and tried to make for a good retirement only to have it all destroyed by the bungling Bush administration and lost your job only to realize that you will not ever find another...well, I guess some feel death is better than being homeless.
    It is a sad country that does not care one bit for it's citizens who worked so hard all their lives to build this country.

May 5, 2013 at 12:26 | Report abuse | Reply