home
RSS
We're eating less fast food - but not by much
February 21st, 2013

We're eating less fast food - but not by much

Americans are eating less fast food daily than they used to, according to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  But it's not much less.

Using data from 2007 to 2010, the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics determined adults eat, on average, 11.3% of their daily calories from fast food. That number was 12.8% in 2006– a one and half point difference.

As you would expect, younger adults tend to eat more fast food than seniors. People older than 60 eat approximately 6% of their daily calories from fast food. Among the younger age groups, non-Hispanic black adults eat the most fast food - using more than one-fifth of their daily calories at fast food establishments.

The CDC did not see a significant difference in fast food consumption based on income, according to the report. Only in the 20-to-39 age group did fast food consumption drop as income increased.

Fast food has been linked to the obesity epidemic in the United States. Not surprisingly, obese adults in each age group ate more of their calories from fast food.

Photos: Worst fast-food meals for sodium

1. srinivas

nice information and i will visit u once again ...By fittodo

February 21, 2013 at 02:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Timmy Suckle

I can eat at all the expensive places thanks to you little people. I kissed my way up to VP at a health insurance company. Now I take over $600,000 of your health care dollars for NO VALUE ADDED to your health care. And that’s just me. Now think about how many other VPs, Directors, Managers, etc. are at my company alone. Now multiply that by thousands of others at hundreds of other health insurance companies. From 10 to 25% of your health care dollars go towards administration that adds NO VALUE to your health care. But my company’s PAC dollars will continue to fool you little people into thinking that a single payer system will be bad. Little people like you are so easy to fool. Little people also don’t realize that a single payer system is the ONLY system that would allow little people (as an entire country) to negotiate better health care prices. Little people don’t realize that the Medical Cartels already know that. And that is the reason why the Medical Cartels spend so much PAC money from the hospitals and doctors lobbying against a single payer system. Some little people say that a single payer system would cost you little people more. But if that were true, then wouldn’t the hospitals and doctors WANT that extra money? Yes they would. So why do the Medical Cartels lobby against a single payer system? It’s because the Medical Cartels know it would allow little people to negotiate better health care prices. And that’s what the Medical Cartels are afraid of. Period.
    But us big wigs at insurance companies, hospitals, and pharmacy companies don’t ever need to worry about health care no matter what it costs. We get our health care paid for one way or another by you little people. And we get the little people that work at our companies to contribute to our PACs. And us big wigs say it’s to protect the little peoples’ jobs. But in reality it would be in the little peoples’ best interest to NOT contribute to the PAC. Again, little people are so easy to be fooled. I won’t ever have to worry about losing my job with so many little people being brain washed by the Medical Cartels’ PAC money. Not only that, the Medical Cartels’ PAC money is used to elect so many republicans that will never allow a single payer system. Republicans have always fought against any meaningful health care reform. But that’s what our Medical Cartels’ PACs pay them for. Politicians can be bought so easily.
    Pretty soon the only people that will be able to afford health care is us big wigs. And that’s the way it should be. We don’t want you little people using up the resources when we need them. And once again, I thank you little people for capping my SS tax at the $113,700 level. Now I only pay 1.2% SS tax and you little people pay 6.2%. Also, thank you for extending my tax breaks. I’m using the extra money on my vacation houses.

February 21, 2013 at 09:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Emma

Wow, how long did you slap your keyboard to get THAT much blather out?

NEXT!

February 21, 2013 at 10:35 | Report abuse |
    • Replace

Replace Timmy Suckle with ANY insurance executive and ANY insurance company and then it's ALL true!!!

February 21, 2013 at 16:24 | Report abuse |
    • cablegirl

Wow...ok Napoleon lol
      Your kind of ridiculous

February 24, 2013 at 14:48 | Report abuse |
    • Alice

You are an ignorant selfish man, who needs to come down off the pedestal.. sorry us "little people" aren't like you Mr.Bigwig. It's so nice to know that you make so much money, when everyone in America is working their butts off to do pretty much the same thing as you, make a lot of money. You don't see us flaunting it in peoples faces, how rude are you. News flash you're not the president, or the king, you're nothing but a peasant that contributes his share to the capital LIKE EVERY OTHER WORKING CLASS AMERICAN. You should be ashamed of yourself for saying people like you should be the only ones getting health care.

December 4, 2013 at 16:54 | Report abuse |
  3. robert

i can't believe people even eat fast food. Just saying it makes me wanna hurl. Maybe if more people were aware of where this food was coming from they would stop.?

February 22, 2013 at 00:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Todd

If you were aware of where most of your food is coming from you would probably be squeamish of all food. I don't care if you going all Organic, or buy it at the farmers market, there is usually stuff that goes on that will make wonder how we should ever eat.
      Fast food, is meant to be quick substance, to stop you from being hungry, and be cheap. It is OK every once in a while, say you are taking a long trip, and only want to stop for a few minutes, or that day you really don't want to cook but not break the bank. But not every day or even every week.
      Stop trying to rate everything as Bad or Good, but strive for a good balance, part of the balances means some foods you need to eat very rarely, while others you need more often. The food is not bad, nor the people who makes it, it is up to each person to choose what they should be taking.

February 22, 2013 at 12:21 | Report abuse |
  4. Daron

Because more Mom's are actcully cooking for there families. My mom loves to cook its her passion. The other day I told My mom I wanted Burger King because I had a free gift card. But she told me she was gonna cook for me. I was the only kid in the house!!!

February 24, 2013 at 11:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Mike

I recently cut out fast food and it seemed to make a big difference in how I feel. Much more energy. Michael Gegogeine

February 24, 2013 at 14:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. bellanc

Out of curiosity I ran the numbers from my food log, exactly 5% of my calories came from fast food out of the past 30 days.

On a side note, how on earth do people have enough money to eat out all of the time??? I eat out once maybe twice a week, and even that is probably more than I should spend.

February 24, 2013 at 19:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Katherine

I wonder this too, when I was in college a few years ago getting fast food was a treat for me because it was so expensive. It was far cheaper to buy ingredients at the store and cook meals from scratch.

April 4, 2013 at 22:44 | Report abuse |
  7. GiGi Eats Celebrities

At least it's less, that's all I have to say. It just sucks that Fast Food joints CONTINUE TO promote such UNHEALTHY menu items!

February 25, 2013 at 00:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • lguan

the cost of good tasting food thats fast and efficient is almost always nutritional value

July 22, 2013 at 10:05 | Report abuse |
  8. infinitimel

I can't believe that people consume so much fast food. Not only do you not know what you are putting into your body, but it's so unhealthy. Second to that, cooking and preparing meals can be such a positive experience whether you are preparing for yourself or with your family. Make health a priority and you will notice the difference in time.

February 27, 2013 at 22:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Cady Haren

At least this is more promising news even if it isnt much of a difference. Agree with Daron, with most moms cooking at home for their children, there is definitely a reduction in the number of people eating junk food.

March 1, 2013 at 07:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Melissa

Some of the blame has to come from the fast food companies that give employees free or reduced price meals, In addition Some solo parents feed their kids off the food their employers give them simply because they make so little money that have to do whatever they cans to make ends meet. Add to that the well meaning parent who will start buying more fast food when their kids get jobs at fast food places because they know that if it is slow and there aren't many customers their kids will be sent home without being paid for the rest of their shifts.

March 1, 2013 at 18:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. qcuxvlzwxsnj

wigasjudryis

April 20, 2013 at 23:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. allegedidle.blogspot.ca

I sometimes eat junk vegetarian food – poutine, muffin, but make sure I will do the right thing to cleans and detox at the appropriate time.

May 16, 2013 at 06:28 | Report abuse | Reply