home
RSS
Shot in arm plus physical therapy doesn't help tennis elbow: Study
February 5th, 2013

Shot in arm plus physical therapy doesn't help tennis elbow: Study

Weekend sports warriors take note - that pain radiating out of your elbow may be tennis elbow. But don't be so quick to ask your doctor for a cortisone shot.

Research has shown cortisone, or corticosteroid shots, can alleviate the pain in the initial weeks, but have little effectiveness in the long run, and do nothing to reduce recurrence rates.

Doctors have prescribed physical therapy, also known as physiotherapy, in conjunction with the shots, hoping to increase the cortisone's long-term effectiveness, but a new study in this week's Journal of the American Medical Association finds that the physical therapy doesn't aid the cortisone shots at all.It's contrary to what Bill Vicenzino, one of the authors of the study, expected. "I was surprised to find that addition of physiotherapy did not reduce the recurrence or lift the success rate in the long term."

"We were also very surprised that the addition of steroid to physiotherapy tends to diminish the effectiveness of the physiotherapy," he said.

The study evaluated 165 patients who had pain from tennis elbow for more than six weeks. Patients were divided into four groups - one group given just cortisone shots, another group given placebo shots, a third group receiving both the steroid and the physical therapy, and a final group receiving a placebo shot and physical therapy.

The study found that after a year, those who had the cortisone shots had the least successful outcomes and highest rates of recurrence. And the addition of physical therapy made little difference to the shots. However, physical therapy alone seems to provide the best outcome, with just under a 5% recurrence rate after a year.

Almost half of all people who play racquet sports like tennis, squash, or racquetball have tennis elbow, but racquet sports aren't the only way to get it. Any sort of activity that requires a lot of twisting or gripping motion, like pulling weeds, using a screwdriver, or using a computer mouse can also inflame the tendon that connects your forearm muscles to your elbow.
Dr. R. Amadeus Mason, who was not involved with the study, remarked that it has been standard practice for some time to use saline or lidocaine shots in place of cortisone. Mason is an assistant professor in the department of Orthopedics and Family Medicine at Emory University and advocates for physical therapy.

"The recommendation has been don’t use steroid, use either saline and mechanical treatment, and going back to physical therapy as your first line," he said.

But tennis elbow is just difficult to treat, he noted. "Yes, there are a lot of treatment entities, but when you go back and look, the treatment entities aren’t consistent across the boards."

Filed under: Conditions • Diet and Fitness • Living Well

1. sylvia kronstadt

My chronic, low-grade tennis elbow flared into a major problem when I increased the intensity of my weight training too recklessly. Ultimately, I could barely lift a cup of coffee or brush my teeth. I saw an article in a major newspaper about a product called a Flexbar, which is used to treat the condition. The exercise was clearly explained on YouTube. I ordered a Flexbar and began doing the maneuver a few times a day. It strengthened the muscles that support the ligament, and my pain was completely gone within two or three weeks. I have avoided both drugs and physical therapy for several more major conditions by consulting rehab web sites and YouTube. Their instructions are excellent.

February 6, 2013 at 06:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • brent

Hi Sylvia I have just bought flexbar as well. I have had my tennis elbow problem for over a year now. When you were using the Flexbar – what was you level of pain. I have tried the flexbar for a couple of days but the pain when I am using it is quite high – I am thinking I would be doing more damage to the condition. Your info would be appreciated. thanks

April 2, 2013 at 19:44 | Report abuse |
    • Weldon

Hi Sylvia and Brent,
      The Flexbar is good, but I've got a product that I invented called Elbow Ease that you might want to try. It fits in your pocket, desk or pocket book. I invented it after my own tennis elbow wouldn't go away and I couldn't find anything to help me work out the right muscles, wraps were a waste of money. My site is http://www.elbowease.com/.
      It works and everyone who has used it loves it

July 12, 2013 at 11:59 | Report abuse |
  2. Doug Messenger

Faulty technique must be corrected. Then the pain will abate. For a video of the proper backhand technique, watch any Richard Gasquet or Carla Suarez-Navarro video. This goes after the cause, rather than the result of bad technique.

February 6, 2013 at 09:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. nis

Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the internet the easiest thing to understand of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed at the same time as folks consider concerns that they just do not recognize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest and also defined out the entire thing without having side effect , other folks could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

February 24, 2013 at 22:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. ten

Hello, Neat post. There is a problem along with your website in internet explorer, may check this? IE still is the market leader and a huge portion of other people will miss your fantastic writing due to this problem.

March 10, 2013 at 20:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Juli Rickner

Tennis elbow is an overuse injury occurring in the lateral side of the elbow region, but more specifically it occurs at the common extensor tendon that originates from the lateral epicondyle. The acute pain that a person might feel occurs when they fully extend their arm.-,.."

Head to our new webpage as well
    <http://healthmedicine.co

July 6, 2013 at 06:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Paige

My doctor recommended a golf ball muscle roller for my tennis elbow, great tool for massaging, worked very surprisingly well helped and me recover faster than any other treatment! trust me your going to want to check it out!!

January 19, 2014 at 22:41 | Report abuse | Reply