home
RSS
December 12th, 2012

From 58 pounds to thriving: One woman's story

Editor's note: In the Human Factor, we profile survivors who have overcome the odds.  Confronting a life obstacle – injury, illness or other hardship – they tapped their inner strength and found resilience they didn't know they possessed.  This week we introduce you to Chelsea Roff, who had a stroke at 15 brought on by her severe anorexia. At the time she arrived at Children's Medical Center Dallas, she weighed 58 pounds. Now 23, Roff is a writer, speaker and yoga instructor. Portions of this article were originally published in the book 21st Century Yoga: Culture Politics and Practice and on Intent Blog, where Roff is managing editor.

The first emotion I remember is rage. It was a violent, fire-in-your-veins, so angry-you-could-kill-someone kind of rage. I wanted out. I wanted the pain to be over. I wanted to die. I was mad at myself for not having the courage to just do it quickly, angry at the hospital staff for thwarting my masked attempt.

I was convinced that I was “meant to” endure this, that my long, drawn-out starving to death would prove my willpower to God. In the days prior to my stroke, I’d had vivid hallucinations — of Jesus on a wooden cross outside my bedroom window and a satanic figure sneaking up under my bedroom covers to suffocate me at night. I thought I was meant to be a martyr. I thought God wanted me to die.

As the fury subsided, delirium set in. I became confused, defiant and completely irrational. I told the doctors that they couldn’t possibly keep me overnight, because my family didn’t have insurance or money to pay. When a cardiologist responded that she wasn’t sure if I’d live another week, I told her she was full of s-. I hid the food they were trying to make me eat in my underwear, in flowerpots, even in my cheeks like a chipmunk — certain no one would notice. I didn’t want to get better. I was convinced nothing was wrong.

I remember having nurses turn me over in the middle of the night to tend to the bed sores on my behind, places where the skin was so thin that my tailbone was starting to protrude through the flesh. I remember waking up to discover I’d wet the bed nearly every morning for the first three months I was there. I was ashamed, disgusted. I’d lost control of the muscles in my bladder; I was like an infant all over again. I remember shooting a nurse the bird when she told me I couldn’t walk, only to crumble to the floor when I angrily pushed the wheelchair away to give it a try.

Unbeknownst to me at the time, my arrival at the hospital had launched an investigation by Child Protective Services back at my home in Austin. The caseworkers deemed my mother an “unfit parent” and my sister and I were placed under custodianship of the state. My care was left to the doctors and nurses at Children’s, while my sister was sent to live with our godparents. My mother, herself an alcoholic and anorexic, had literally drunk herself into oblivion (she was later diagnosed with Wernicke’s Syndrome, a form of alcohol-induced dementia).

I spent the next 16 months of my life in that hospital. I completed my junior and senior years of high school through a distance education program, talked my way through hundreds of hours of individual and group therapy and slowly, painfully worked to bring my body and mind back to life.

When Medicaid finally pulled the plug on funding for my treatment, I was unrecognizable from the day I’d walked in. I’d gained nearly 40 pounds, and the feisty, fiercely independent spirit I’d been known for as a child was on her way back in (close to) full force. Although I was still significantly underweight and terrified to leave the security of the hospital, my medical team managed to convince the caseworkers to grant me emancipation. At 17, I re-entered the “real world” as a legally recognized adult.

My doctor at Children’s helped me make arrangements to move into a garage apartment with a close family friend near the hospital. I got a job at a local Starbucks, started applying for college, and, by the grace of who-knows-what, was offered almost free weekly therapy by a psychologist who’d treated me at Children’s. Three months later, I took my first yoga class. I was lucky. I was blessed. I was given enough resources to put the fragments of my broken life back together.

My hope is that my story might serve as a beacon of hope for people grappling with their own inner demons in silence and isolation. Whether it’s an eating disorder, abandonment, depression or addiction, please know:

There is a way out. You don’t have to suffer alone. There are people out there who want to love you, who would be honored to bear witness to your pain. Healing doesn’t happen in a vacuum. We are human and we have an inherent need to see and be seen, to touch and be touched. No one heals heartbreak alone.

For the broader community, I hope this story will diminish some of the stigma and misperceptions about eating disorders. Many of us have been taught that people with eating disorders simply want to be skinny, feel like they have to look like supermodels to be worth anything, or just have an unhealthy “need for control.” Those are all symptoms of an eating disorder, not the cause.

I realized last week that I feel like a child who was once desperately thirsty, who was given enough water to survive and shake her thirst, and now feels compelled to go out and give water to anyone who's parched. "Look! Water! I know, isn't it good?! Drink up!!" When I see people drink the water, I can't even describe the feeling - it's as if I'm experiencing the first sip all over again. It brings me incredible joy, even healing. It's an act of alchemy. It allows me to make light of some of the darkest days of my life.

I once had a therapist who, when asked how I could ever repay her for all she’d given me, told me: “Your life will be all the thanks I need.” This is how I thank her. This is how I thank all those who helped me find my way out of the darkness. Share the water.

1. Melissa

What an amazingly powerful story. Bless you in your continued journey towards health.

December 12, 2012 at 13:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • DAVE

We should all be thankful for people that give forward. GOD bless you and support all your giving.

December 12, 2012 at 17:43 | Report abuse |

Thank you. :)

December 13, 2012 at 13:20 | Report abuse |
  2. Anna

Wonderful! Her health is beautiful!

December 12, 2012 at 14:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Pam

Beautiful. I am usually very scornful of eating disorders, but this young woman has made me become more understanding. My mother was also an alcoholic and it is a lousy and painful situation to be in. Good for you, Chelsea, you have just made me a better person!

December 12, 2012 at 14:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chelsea Roff

I'm so glad to hear that, Pam. Eating disorders are stubborn and difficult illnesses, and I can completely understand why you would feel upset or resentful if you've had to battle the illness in your family. Sending hopes for healing both for you and your mom. Much love.

December 12, 2012 at 16:34 | Report abuse |
  4. That's What's Up

not only is that joke very old, it is very funny

December 12, 2012 at 17:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. pound

What a glorious story, and she tells it so well. I hope that she is bolstered by how many people she will reach here. Blessings and continued healing to her.

December 12, 2012 at 17:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Nina

I love your article. I experienced a serious illness at 15 - a period of depression so awful I was mad at God. At 25 and 29 I again had episodes. During the last I was unable to work. It was so humbling. I always thought of myself as someone who contributed to the economy and I wondered if I was simply a burden on society when I was I'll. Then I learned there were doctors who were honored to help me and bear witness to my pain - professionals who went into their fields to help patients like me. I learned that there is meaning in simply being a patient. You are helping science and society progress In a different way than you are as an employee, but it is just as important. Now that I am working again I am so glad to have had that gained that perspective.

December 12, 2012 at 17:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nina

I meant ill not I'll - autocorrect can be so unforgiving!

December 12, 2012 at 17:40 | Report abuse |
    • Chelsea Roff

Thank you, Nina. There are so many out there who have struggled with these issues – I find that whether it's addiction, depression, grief, or just heartbreak... the darkness is the same, and the path to healing is similar. I'm so glad you got the help your needed. Wishing you the best moving forward.

December 12, 2012 at 18:22 | Report abuse |
  7. Debbie

Great story giving hope to many, but because when I read stories I always wonder about the other characters, I wonder, does she keep in contact with her sister? How did she fare after all was said and done? Did her mother ever get the care she obviously desperately needed? I can't help it, I always wonder these things.

December 12, 2012 at 18:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. GT1984

Chelesea,

this is such an uplifting story. I can only imagine how hard it is to pull yourself out of such a deep hole and make such a miraculous recovery. You must be very strong. Its great that you are using your experience to try and help others with similar problems. also,It is so refrehing to see and read something positive in the news.

G

December 12, 2012 at 19:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Michelle

You are beautiful both inside and out. It's heartbreaking to hear how your young life was so hard it drove you to an eating disorder for comfort and control, but very uplifting how you overcame the odds and made a wonderful life for yourself.

I too have suffered emotional trauma from my mother and have an eating disorder (binging). I recently turned 27 and am just now coming to terms with my childhood and what all she has put me through. Your story gives me hope. :-)

December 12, 2012 at 20:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chelsea Roff

Thank you so much for your kind words, Michelle, and I hope you don't lose hope. It's hard to remember in the difficult moments that things WILL get better.. but they will, especially if you can remain open to receiving support. I wish you the best as you move through this challenging time.

December 13, 2012 at 13:19 | Report abuse |
  10. Fiona

Overwrought.

December 12, 2012 at 20:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. B111

Congrats, I too survived anorexia, had a couple of bad encounters with bad health due to bad nutrition and lack of food, but also survived.

So way to go. Now I eat, I'm not super thin like I always wanted, but quite frankly I feel so much healthier. I also quit strong caffeinated drinks which apparently I'm allergic too.

Well, at least she survived anorexia. Way to go.

December 12, 2012 at 20:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. bellenoitr

Amazing story and so moving.

December 12, 2012 at 21:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Scott

Chelsea was my first yoga instructor. See started me on my own journey of recovery in a different way. It continues today.
    Thank you Chelsea for your giving spirit !!!!

December 12, 2012 at 23:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chelsea Roff

Scott! Thank you so much for posting a comment. I've had two students named Scott, but if you're who I think you are (Karmany?), hello!! I hope you're doing well and I was honored to be your first teacher. :)

December 13, 2012 at 13:14 | Report abuse |
  14. Ellie

This article was so poignant it makes me cry. "Look! Water! I know, isn't it good?! Drink up!!" Thank you, Chelsea...I will.

December 13, 2012 at 00:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Norma

What a great story....I'm so glad you didn't leave us Chelsea

December 13, 2012 at 05:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Fifi

Chelsea since your following along here i want to tell you keep up the hard work! Please can you tell us do you have family contact re: your mother and sister. I hope there doing okay also.

December 13, 2012 at 06:51 | Report abuse | Reply

Hi Fifi,

Thanks for your question about my mom and sister. My mother is stable now and living in a home for people with mental disabilities in Austin. WIth the help of my aunt, we were able to get her on social security after she finished up some time in jail and she's been at the home for almost three years now. She is not the woman I used to know - often doesn't know what year it is and has a lot of short-term memory loss - but she's safe and sober. I'm grateful for that. I've written a bit more about losing my mom on my website if you're interested in reading... unfortunately there just wasn't enough time to fit it into this piece! http://www.chelsearoff.com/articles/losing-a-parent-and-how-empty-spiritual-teachings-make-it-worse/

My sister is doing okay. She was in foster care and had a really difficult time with that while I was in the hospital. She stayed with my god parents for a while, and then sort of couch surfed with friends until she turned 18. She's now living in Dallas, has her first apartment, and just got her GED (I'm mega-proud of her). She's an amazing, resilient, and beautiful young woman.

Thanks again for your question, and wishing you the best.

December 13, 2012 at 13:13 | Report abuse |
  17. Wack Canuck

I suffered from terrible anxiety that often led to periods of depression from the time I was a teen and into my mid-30s. I thank the universe every day for sending me a wonderful psychiatrist who didn't insist on pushing pills but spent years patiently talking through my issues and teaching me how to cope; and for a wonderful husband who stayed by my side, cheering on every victory and comforting me through every setback. I still have bad days, but I can now anticipate my anxiety spikes and for the most part deal with them before they blow up into depression.
    It amazes me how misunderstood psychiatric disorders are. I wish I had a dime for every time I was told it's just the blues, suck it up, don't be a drama queen, count your blessings. Or, my favourite – you don't LOOK like you're depressed. It made me ashamed to feel how I did and stopped me from getting help for a long time.
    Please don't ever listen to anyone who discounts how you feel. Get help! It's out there, it's available, and it does work. Take it from someone who made it through.

December 13, 2012 at 08:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chelsea Roff

Yes. There is so much stigma and stereotype surrounding mental illness in this country, and so many people suffering in silence out of shame. I'm glad you had the support of your husband and that you're in a better place now. Best wishes to you on your journey.

December 13, 2012 at 13:16 | Report abuse |
  18. Ms M

I can't relate to Chelsea's story although I did use a liquid that caused me to vomit because I thought it would help me lose weight. I ate very little and exercised a lot while also abusing laxatives and diuretics. I stopped doing that several years ago. I am 12 weeks along in my pregnancy and although I do fear getting fat, I am going to do my best to just try to eat right and exercise when I can (when I am awake and not nauseous). Congratulations on beating anorexia and best of luck for your future.

December 13, 2012 at 13:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Lorretta @Dancing On The Dash

Thank you for telling the whole truth of the the whole story. While it might have been tempting and even necessary at one point in your life to point an angry finger and shake an angry fist...you've obviously found the flow and the vein of real life that not only keeps you from hiding the truth but you are also living beyond and into it. I see the healing power of God shining thorough this story and the way you have told it with so much transparency and humility. A lot of this story was mine too but I never went to the exact places with the eating disorders so I understand there's so much more to it. Bless you Chelsea. You are not a victim....you are not a survivor....you are a wonderful Child of God.

December 13, 2012 at 13:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chelsea Roff

Than you, Loretta. I'm glad it came across that way. I think the only way to dispel some of the myths about eating disorders (and just mental illness in general) is to paint a true portrait of the causes, experience, and consequences. I'm glad to hear you've overcome your own struggles and wish you the best moving forward.

December 15, 2012 at 10:49 | Report abuse |
  20. Jay

A very inspiring and moving story. As a man who suffered with a similar but unrecognized condition (orthorexia) I can relate to the inner turmoil that you faced on a day-to-day, hour-to-hour, and moment-to -moment basis. It's great to hear other stories of survival and progress. I'm sure that your story will give hope and inspiration to others who can relate to your struggles. Keep up the 'good fight' and remember that no one is defined by a number on a scale or the amount of calories consumed. Our worth is based on our inherent goodness and contributions to those around us.

December 13, 2012 at 14:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Justine

WOW. Love, love LOVE your story :) I struggled with bulimia through high school, college, and beyond. It took me a long time to understand what you stated – that the "skinny" piece of an eating disorder is just the symptom and not the cause. I switched from eating disorder to and alcohol addiction and am now healing from that. The cool thing is that I have always been an athlete but "Poo-poo'd" yoga as being for the wimps. After participating in yoga through a treatment center (many treatment centers!) I know realize that Yoga is such an amazing healer in my life. It gives me the peace and serenity that I have been longing for all of my life while still filling the physical needs of my person. I love it!
    Thank you for sharing your story. We have to give it away in order to keep it.

December 13, 2012 at 14:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chelsea Roff

Thank you, Justine. I thought the same thing about yoga... too fluffy, too gentle, too hippy-ish and definitely not for me! Definitely had that wrong. :P

There are so many different styles of yoga that appeal to people based on personality type, previous ability, age, etc - I definitely took to the more vigorous/physical forms of yoga, but that wasn't always what I actually NEEDED in my recovery. I wrote about the sort of "double edged sword" yoga can provide for people with eating disorders in my recent book chapter: http://www.amazon.com/21st-Century-Yoga-Politics-Practice/dp/0615617603/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top If you're into yoga, you might find it interesting!

Wishing you the best in your recovery.

December 15, 2012 at 10:57 | Report abuse |
  22. Jeanne

Thank you for sharing this today!!

December 13, 2012 at 15:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Jax66

What an amazing story of survival and triumph. Congratulations Chelsea!

December 13, 2012 at 16:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Grace and Sal

You are so beautiful – from the inside out. Keep flying your kite high. We are all so proud of you. Your story will be an inspiration to many.

December 13, 2012 at 16:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Krissy

Bulimia has been a part of my life for 18 years. I'm 33 and it's been a constant battle for my entire adult life. I've just started getting into yoga and trauma-focused therapy. I'm anxious to find the right combination of interventions and stories like yours gives me hope.

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful story, Chelsea. xx

December 13, 2012 at 19:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Marsha

"There are people out there who want to love you, who would be honored to bear witness to your pain. [...] We are human and we have an inherent need to see and be seen, to touch and be touched."

These words are beautiful and so true. The harshest consequence of my own eating disorder was isolation. I pushed everyone out to stay in the denial I thought was the only, best way to live my life. I recovered because I let those people who wanted to love me – those who would bear witness to my pain – back into my life.

December 14, 2012 at 00:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chelsea Roff

I'm so glad those words resonated for you, Marsha, and yes... I had the same experience. There's a South African philosophy – "ubuntu" – that roughly translates to: "I am because we are." That's always rung very true for me.

December 14, 2012 at 14:56 | Report abuse |
  27. crumpetess

I almost never post comments, but this story really touched me to the core. Chelsea, thank you so much for the work that you are doing. Your groundedness, maturity, grace and beauty are evident and shine through you, even in this brief video!

I am someone who has had a disturbed relationship with food all my life (compulsive eating/emotional eating/addiction), but I, too, have found (am still finding) a path to healing through body work (5 Rhythms dance). I am still on my journey to wholeness and embodied-ness, but it really gladdens my heart to hear your story and see such a vibrant, powerful, beautiful woman doing such valuable work. Thank you, thank you! All peace and power to you, Chelsea.

December 14, 2012 at 00:18 | Report abuse | Reply

Hi there c,

Thanks so much for your comment. The kind words and encouragement mean so much to me. I too played around a little with 5 Rhythms, though I must say I don't think I was quite ready for it at the time... I had too much judgment and self-criticism running through my head to really "drop in" and allow myself to enjoy and experience the dance. That said, it's probably a practice that would resonate with me a lot more now. I know it's been tremendously beneficial to so many women, and I think it's another practice that could be really useful to people in recovery.

Wishing you the best on your journey.

December 14, 2012 at 15:11 | Report abuse |
  28. Lori Peters

What an awesome story and outcome. Thanks for sharing :)

December 14, 2012 at 09:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. lindaluttrell

This disease has always been a mystery to me because I love cooking and enjoying good food. But each painful story makes it more understandable. I'm so glad to read of your success in overcoming it. You are a wonderful success story for others to emulate. Stay well!

December 14, 2012 at 11:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chelsea Roff

Thank you, Linda. Eating disorders are very difficult illnesses to wrap one's mind around - they seem so ludicrous when you think about them rationally, right? I think that, in part is why there's so much stigma and misperception around these disorders... as I said in the piece, people assume that these girls just want to be skinny or look like models on magazines. But I think it's important to understand that these are incredibly complex illnesses - influenced by genetic factors, early childhood experiences, personality traits, and of course the culture we live in as well. I think we have a long way to go when it comes to understanding the most effective ways to prevent and treat EDs, but awareness, education, and research are the first steps.

December 14, 2012 at 15:18 | Report abuse |
  30. MMLU4EA

Hi Chelsea,

Congratulations on your amazing progress. I too was a teenage anorexic but many years before you were born. In my day, people didn't even recognize the issue existed (at least in the deep South where I grew up). After several false starts, I finally stepped away from living the life on my own and have lived healthfully for many years. I know that I must make an effort to not falter in keeping up the good work and would not hesitate to seek help from doctors and health professionals as well as family and friends. I hope others who are not in such a good place will take heart from your story and realize they too can be healed.

December 14, 2012 at 22:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chelsea Roff

Thank you, MM. I hope others find something valuable in this story as well. It's so hard not to lose hope when you're in the throes of that illness. Glad to hear you're in a better place now, and wishing you the best.

December 15, 2012 at 10:58 | Report abuse |
  31. Michele

Inspiring! My son is suffering from an eating disorder and depression, but we have no insurance and I can't seem to find help, so I just try to maintain him and make sure he eats something even though I know what little he eats will not stay in and doesnt kill himself on my watch.I pray that he too will come across people like she did. This story gives me hope!

December 16, 2012 at 10:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Deb

@Michelle. Your story breaks my heart. The inpatient clinics around the U.S. may have some names of Therapist that specialize in Eating Disorders in your area. There are only a few inpatient clinics in the U.S. The one I am most familiar with is RiverCentre Clinic in Sylvania Ohio. There is another one in Wisconsin that I understand specializes in males. It always hurts me to know that without insurance, it is so hard to get help. I am praying for your son and your family.
    @Chelsea. Your story makes me smile. My daughter too suffered from an eating disorder and spent 13 weeks at an eating disorder clinic. When she first told me she wanted to do Yoga I thought oh god, she is going to start exercizing again and relapse not realizing it may be helpful to her. Thank you for your story,

December 16, 2012 at 20:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Jenelle

It's wonderful to know that your story has such a happy ending. Thank you for dispelling the myth of eating disorders...the cause is what eludes most of us, all we see are the symptons. Your story is a true eye-opener!

Your article is a true inspiration for anyone who is battling their demons. Congratulations!

December 17, 2012 at 12:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. DiedrichKyrian

Chelsea; first an apology. I was trying to hit reply and I hit by mistake on report abuse. :/ (I just worked 12 hours sue me ;) )

Second; Im glad you're able to share your story and how much your life has improved from where it was. I give you amazing Kudos and blessings for that :) I hope you continue to find your own way and become an even better/awesome person :)

December 18, 2012 at 18:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Julia Richter

This article is so inspiring. This is exactly what I needed to give me my little extra push on my hard road to recovery from anorexia. Hearing your storing is so amazing, you are a beautiful person inside and out. Keep doing what you're doing, hopefully one day I'll be able to fully recover and enjoy my life without my eating disorder always lurking at my side!
    ~Julia

December 18, 2012 at 21:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. A Thankful Reader

The emotion I find myself experiencing after reading this is "comfort." I have suffered with anorexia for six years and despite the fact I have been in therapy for several years as well as an intensive in-patient treatment facility for several months at one point, I still find myself incredibly apprehensive about recovery. Your story is so incredibly inspiring, and I take comfort in knowing recovery is possible, no matter what stage someone is at in their life. Thank you for this.

December 19, 2012 at 01:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. HUMPTY DUMPTY

CAUSE AND EFFECT

December 19, 2012 at 03:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Oxygen4Energy

Oxygen in a Can is the newest Health Craze! Try it now or join as an Affiliate! http://www.Oxygen4Retailers.com

December 19, 2012 at 15:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. SHELLEY (from Echo Hill)

Chelsea, I am so proud of you!
    I continue to share your story with people all around me.
    Love you.
    Greentrees forever!

January 16, 2013 at 15:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Shawn

Hey Chelsea,
    It's Shawn from Echo Hill. Shelley sent me this link and I am so blown away! I am so proud of you. There is so much more I am thinking, but can't put it into words. I love you and it makes my heart happy to see you well.

January 16, 2013 at 22:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Robbin Goal

Well I definitely enjoyed reading it. This subject procured by you is very useful for good planning. Robbin Goal http://www.robinhoodchina.info

January 31, 2013 at 05:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Marc

Confused, but glad your better

April 20, 2013 at 01:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Kathryn

What a powerful story, and a perfect time for me to come across it, as I find myself teetering on the edge of falling back into some old habits. I spent 5 months in residential treatment for my own eating disorder a few years ago and I still remember very well those defiant feelings of "I'm fine", "It's no big deal", "I know what I'm doing", etc. Fortunately I was never hospitalized for physical health reasons, but for awhile I actually used that as an excuse for why I didn't need treatment at all – in my mind, I wasn't "sick enough" to need help, despite the fact that I had some very unhealthy behaviors. I really thought I had it all under control.

I love the metaphor of giving water to others. I feel the same way, and that's a good way of explaining it. Thank you.

July 29, 2013 at 10:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. zaborilenta

You have brought up a very wonderful details , appreciate it for the post.

September 26, 2014 at 03:35 | Report abuse | Reply