home
RSS
Experts: Flu spreading faster than usual
December 3rd, 2012

Experts: Flu spreading faster than usual

If you haven't received your flu shot yet, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says now is the time to make sure you're protected. The agency says flu season is ramping up early this year - for the first time in almost a decade.

According to CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden,  H3N2 is the predominant strain this year. It's generally associated with a severe flu season.  "The strains we are seeing suggest this could be a bad flu year," Frieden said. "But this year's vaccine is an excellent match with the influenza that's circulating."

Dr. Melinda Wharton, Acting Director of CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, says current flu activity is highest in the South.

"We're seeing the highest level in the southeastern and south central region of the United States," she said.  "Five states had high levels: Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and Texas. Moderate levels of illness have been recorded in Missouri and Georgia."

Flu cases typically peak in February, according to the CDC.

The CDC says about 123 million doses of the vaccine have already been distributed to health care providers, and about 112 million people have already been vaccinated.

Among doctors, nurses and pharmacists, about 80% to 90% have already been vaccinated, Frieden said, along with almost half of all pregnant women.  The number of children being vaccinated has also increased. "I encourage everyone 6 months and up to get vaccinated," Frieden said.

Each year there are approximately 200,000 hospitalizations for flu-related illnesses.

1. SokrMom

It's December already, which doesn't seem that early, unless you're counting the warm weather we are enjoying courtesy of global warming.

December 3, 2012 at 16:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • zlop

Unless we Vaccinate Mother Gaia with attenuated Weather Weapons,
      Global Fooling will kill us all.

December 3, 2012 at 19:53 | Report abuse |
    • lantenec

@ zlop Excellent absurdist humor.

December 3, 2012 at 22:11 | Report abuse |
  2. CauseForAlarm

If we keep tweaking our immunes, it will stop working, and someone will sneeze near you and kill you, PERIOD.

December 3, 2012 at 16:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SixDegrees

You need to read up on how the immune system actually works, along with how vaccines actually work. Your ignorance is appalling.

December 3, 2012 at 18:00 | Report abuse |
    • Ken

You seems to be lacking in knowledge how vaccine works. It trigger the body immune system to create antibodies to the virus present in the vaccine.

But for some people geting a flu shots can triggered a mild flu.

December 3, 2012 at 18:56 | Report abuse |
    • You have tow confused

You are confusing vaccines and virus with antibiotics and bacteria.

Antibiotic over use is where the risk is because bacteria can evolve and adapt. Vaccine is just weakened or similar less dangerous virus that the immune system sees as invader and develops builds up lots of specific antibodies to it which then stay in the body ready and knowing how to stop the real/strong virus.

December 3, 2012 at 23:02 | Report abuse |
    • Melanie Murphy

Actually, the reason for new vaccines every year has to do with the antigenic shift associated with the flu. Constantly, bacteria and viruses experience an antigenic drift, which is the result of evolving and changing. However, such viruses like the flu go through an antigenic shift which allows the virus to no longer be susceptible to last year’s vaccine. This shift causes the DNA strands of the virus to be completely different from the year prior. That's why there's a new vaccine every year. It accommodates for that shift in genetics that occur in the flu. It's fascinating! The flu virus really is a remarkable specimen that is constantly changing and altering to survive.

December 4, 2012 at 11:15 | Report abuse |
    • Dado

You're confusing antigenic shift with antigenic shift. The two are different. I think that shift is responsible for the need for new vaccines, and drift is responsible for the lack of efficacy of a given vaccine during a single flu season.

December 4, 2012 at 17:51 | Report abuse |
    • Tom

"SixDegrees" your rudeness is appalling.

December 4, 2012 at 19:40 | Report abuse |
  3. uysfl

more cdc hype, run out and get your flu shots or you may throw up for 24 hours. big deal! i'll take the flu over whatever they put in those shots.

December 3, 2012 at 16:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dgatwood

If you're only sick for 24 hours, you did not have the flu. A 24-hour bug is either a minor stomach virus or food poisoning. Actual influenza will take you completely out of commission for typically an entire work week, and you'll feel awful for an additional 1-2 weeks after that.

December 3, 2012 at 16:54 | Report abuse |
    • nursey nurse

Sorry bud, the flu shot is ONLY for the respiratory flu. The stomach flu is caused by different gastroenteritis viruses. there are no vaccines for this. Also, sorry, if you can't breathe, you die. People are really ignorant when it comes to what the flu vaccines are for and speak out of turn. What they put in those vaccines is the actual virus (alive or dead based on which route you choose) and it causes your body to build immunity against it so when you do come in contact with it, it doesn't knock your block off.

December 3, 2012 at 17:01 | Report abuse |
    • Patty

Throw up for 24 hours? Do you even know what Influenza is? It is a respiratory disease. A debilitating illness that wipes healthy people out for a week or more. It kills tens of thousands of people in the country alone every year. Although it may make a healthy person ill for a week or so, it can easily kill the immunocompromised such as infants, children, peole with asthma, people with COPD, the elderly. Even if you think it's no big deal if you get influenza, you can easily spread it to someone at risk of severe complications and death. Think of someone besides yourself and get vaccinated, it's irresponsible not to.

December 3, 2012 at 17:05 | Report abuse |
    • SixDegrees

Apparently, you have no idea what flu actually is, or what it is like to have it.

December 3, 2012 at 17:59 | Report abuse |
    • LR

After watching several healthy men die within days of contracting the H1N1 at Standford Hospital, I would bet money that had you witnessed that your tune would change you would be begging for the flu shot.

December 3, 2012 at 22:24 | Report abuse |
  4. ER

Flu shots should only be given to the elderly ... period. We are ruining this world for the next generations

December 3, 2012 at 16:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Debbie

you are absolutely incorrect, the very young are at very high risk, as well as anyone with chronic illness. Most otherwise healthy folks will likely survive the flu (they may just wish they were dead for awhile) but some young healthy people will not. And we all know the coworker who comes in ill and infects everyone else. The year of the H1N1, my coworkers healthy 15 year old died from it, another coworker was hospitalized with low o2 sats, flu can be dangerous, and in particular the very young and old and anyone with chronic illness is playing a dangerous game not getting the vaccine.

December 3, 2012 at 17:16 | Report abuse |
    • dangstar

You'll think differently when some kid in your child's class comes to school with the flu, and infects anyone who didn't get the flu shot, including your own child since you apparently didn't want to "ruin" him/her.

December 3, 2012 at 17:58 | Report abuse |
    • Dr Sheppard

does anyone really think that getting a flu shot is going to help their health ? I mean Obama still in office so I guess the dumb are still out there..

December 3, 2012 at 18:41 | Report abuse |
    • hankers

dr sheppard, you really can't be a doctor!

December 3, 2012 at 23:53 | Report abuse |
  5. CP

Clean everything with Sniper...All of us offshore guys use it to stop and prevent outbreaks in close quarters. Awesome product. I now use it in my home. Kills everything including bad odors. http://www.nomadind.com

December 3, 2012 at 17:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. larry5

If a pill, a knife or a needle can't cure the problem then modern day healthcare is stuck. They treat symptoms not the underlying problems. They don't dare tell a patient to stop eating fast food, watching TV from the couch, put down the smart phone or go outside and move around. Nope. Take a pill, here's your shot or we have this simple procedure. Done deal. Next.

December 3, 2012 at 17:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SixDegrees

Vaccines prevent disease.

December 3, 2012 at 18:01 | Report abuse |
    • VetSV

Apparently you dont believe in listening to good advice ... they advised against everything you spouted out .. but then again you were too busy watching football

December 3, 2012 at 18:05 | Report abuse |
    • OboeGal

I am an extremely health-conscious person. I exercise regularly using a mix of resistance training, high-intensity intervals, and walking and have an overall active lifestyle. I eat healthy food with an emphasis on fruits and vegetables. I haven't had fast food in at least 2.5 years. I research health topics and keep on top of blood levels of vitamin D. I've had cardiac testing that indicated that I have the cardiovascular condition of a woman in her 20s. (I'm in my 40s.) I haven't had a flu shot in several years because I assumed I was "too healthy" to need it. As I write this, I am in my 11th day of the flu, and I have been terribly sick – certainly too sick to work for at least a week. By the third day of it, I was in the ER having tremendous difficulty breathing, which has never happened to me before. If I had gotten the flu shot, I would have had a minor illness if anything at all. Thank goodness our medical community has this to offer the population, and was able to keep me breathing.

December 4, 2012 at 21:34 | Report abuse |
  7. Nikki

I had a case of the flu when I was in my early twenties. I remember having a 102 degree fever for about a week and hurting from head to toe. I did no go to the doctor but took tylenol to control the fever and just waited till it was over. Once you've had the flu, you never forget the feeling.

December 3, 2012 at 17:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Amanda Reed

Nikki, you are not kidding. I wandered into the kitchen only once a day, the rest of the time I was in bed and getting water from the faucet in the bathroom, I was that miserable with the aches for almost a week.

December 3, 2012 at 18:02 | Report abuse |
  8. Bubba

I am currently on the tail end of the flu. Got it over Thanksgiving. I never get the flu shot. I am still young enough and healthy enough to survive the flu. But this particular version has me thinking of getting the flu shot next year. This one took me out for 10 days. I still feel crappy and think I might now be getting an ear infection. The worst part of this particular flu was that I couldn't get any real sleep. It is a gamble if you will get the flu or not and if so how bad. For those with weakened immune systems, elderly, and young should get the shot this year. This flu is bad and I had both SARS and H1N1. Neither were this bad.

December 3, 2012 at 17:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dr Sheppard

yes with the vaccine schedule with kids..lets add more toxic crap in them...

good call...

December 3, 2012 at 18:40 | Report abuse |
    • Alberto Florez

Bubba, this time your inmune system was weaker, so it took longer to repair. Keep your defenses up and NEVER take the flu shot

December 4, 2012 at 09:24 | Report abuse |
  9. MT1962

Getting a flu shot is like lifting weights or practicing for a sport, for most of us we only get stronger and better prepared. The flu shot gives your immune system a chance to learn how to identify what the CDC thinks is the three most likely strains to circulate this flu season, without the risk of significant illness or death. So when the real disease presents itself, your immune system is ready to identify it with antibodies and attack before it can spread far.

December 3, 2012 at 18:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dr Sheppard

yes that's how it works..It gives your body a greater chance..THANK YOU FLU SHOTS...my savior...
      my patient walked into her medical doctor's office and left with a pneumonia shot and a flu shot..
      she was sick for 3 weeks...No correlation at all.

December 3, 2012 at 18:39 | Report abuse |
    • ser

are you the Dr. Sheppard from Grey's Anatomy....thought so...your advice is as about as relevant as the show's..now shut up before you get people sick or killed

December 4, 2012 at 12:18 | Report abuse |
  10. snowboarder

i honestly can't tell you the last time i got the flu.

December 3, 2012 at 18:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. saveyourfeet

addd All diabetics need to read this blog: saveyourfeetDOTwordpressDOTcom

December 3, 2012 at 18:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Peteyroo

Will a shot help against the chimney flue?

December 3, 2012 at 18:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Just Me

If you gtet a case of chimney flu, then you should have stayed on the sleigh.

December 3, 2012 at 19:31 | Report abuse |
  13. Dr Sheppard

yes run and get your flu shot..I would rather inc. Vit – D, exercise, stay away from sugar and processed foods, drink only water and wash my hands with soap...but you go ahead to WalMart and get "protected" dont worry about the aluminum, MSG, formaldehyde and mercury, I am sure it is safe..

December 3, 2012 at 18:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • NDS

If you are so interested in spouting your views on how dangerous vaccinations are, why do you do it in the aggressive manner that you do? I think your aim is more for your own gain, rather than helping out others. Spouting off at the mouth with no rhyme or reason and under the guise of being informative. Whatever your reply to this, I don't care. I am not going to read it, but thank you for reading this. :) I've given hundreds of flu shots over the years, people always complain. Haven't had one single negative incident – not saying reactions don't exist, but I've yet to see one. I have also received the vaccine as an injection before, and also intranasally. No problems, personally.

December 3, 2012 at 19:25 | Report abuse |
    • information, please

Dr. Sheppard, your degree must be in extreme ignorance with extra high high marks. You really should do some reading before posting because XYZ-pdq: your ig'nance is showing!

I had influenza when I was 18 years old (a long time ago) and I never want to experience it again. Why do I now get vaccinated every year? I don't want the flu and even more than that, I don't want to get the flu and pass it on to someone else who might die from it or experience severe complications. I work at a hospital and I, along with everyone else, am obligated to think of others and not just myself.

There's nothing harmful in a flu vaccine, including the formulation. If you or your "patient" (obviously you were referring to yourself or your spouse) got sick after being immunized in a doctor's office, maybe you/your spouse should have washed your hands during and after your visit. Doctor's offices are filled with sick people- duh!

December 3, 2012 at 19:48 | Report abuse |
    • C.W. Cline

Dr. Sheppard, it is obvious to me that you are not a real Dr. The Influenza virus is no joke. I had the flu once in my teens that landed me in the hospital wth double pneumonia...came VERY close to dying. I was 16 years old and an athlete – ran 5 to 10 miles a day, swam on a swim team & was rarely sick. I also had it in my late twenties – 104 fever for 7 days, lost 5lbs that WEEK because I could not eat, and almost coked to death one morning on the stuff that I was coughing up. I don't always get the shot every year but you better believe my kids do! – I have a 5- year old with cerebral palsy and a 1 year old baby. I could never forgive myself if they died from the flu when I could have prevented it.

December 3, 2012 at 20:19 | Report abuse |
    • Niff

Dr Sheppard, that's good advice and all (Vit D, exercise, unprocessed diet, etc) but none of that will protect you from the flu. Also, your "patient" who was sick from getting the flu and pneumonia vaccines... I guess it's not possible that they caught them from being in a doctor's office. Where sick people are. Full immunity isn't acquired for 6-8 weeks either. Doctor.

December 3, 2012 at 20:59 | Report abuse |
    • OboeGal

I do everything you suggest and more, as everyone in my family does. I hadn't had a cold or flu in many years. We're very healthy and health-conscious and have always assumed we were "too healthy" for a flu shot, but I'm now in my 11th day of the flu and gave it to the rest of my family. It's been a really bad one, leaving me unable to work for more than a week and in the ER on the third day having great difficulty breathing. Be careful of overconfidence.

December 4, 2012 at 21:44 | Report abuse |
    • Susan

C.W. Cline – Please get yourself a shot every year – how would your kids feel if YOU died?

December 5, 2012 at 10:03 | Report abuse |
  14. Tribeof4

Every year I take my kids to their pediatrician for a flu shot at the recommendation of their pediatrician.To say they are not happy about the experience is an understatement. This year I read a story about a heathy, athletic, high school student who died from the flu last year. His mother said her one regret was not making her son get a flu shot because she didn't think he needed it. I made my boys (10 & 8) read that poor young man's story. This year my boys took their flu shots without a whimper because they could relate to the story of someone ( a kid) who died needlessly. To all those who argue against flu shots.. Tell the mother of that young man how horrible and useless flu shots are.

December 3, 2012 at 22:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. SD

For those of you who think the flu is just a "bad cold"....wrong. Many years ago we had two types of influenza in one season – Asian flu, and Texas flu. My husband ran a fever of 104* for a week – yes, 104. It never broke during that time, only lowered to 101* at times. Our throats hurt so badly (without swallowing) that we cried. The body aches were excruciating, not to mention the vomiting that attacked also. The cough was never-ending, and I think today our lungs may no longer be intact. Oh, and the headaches.
    The only time I've been as miserable was when I was sick for 3 weeks with the mumps as a teenager.

Please get a flu shot – you CANNOT get sick, the virus is dead. ( And yes, I we are very conscientious about vaccinations. My daughter followed my lead and does not give her children all of them at once, but separates them. )

December 3, 2012 at 22:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. christophermcne

I was wiped out by the flu about a week and a half ago. I couldn't get out of bed for the first 3 days, and I ran a fever for the next 4. I still have a lingering cough. I have to say I can't remember ever having the flu before, and it's absolutely no joke at all. I get colds all the time, but this thing was WAY worse than any cold I've ever had. There were / are symptoms associated with the flu that I never expected to have. Anyway, if you have access to a flu shot I would highly recommend you get one, even if it costs a little money. That was one of the roughest weeks of my life.

December 3, 2012 at 23:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Destinatus

Flu vaccines do not work. In fact, it will probably make you sick!

Avoid unless you are forced to by your job (healthcare professionals).

December 3, 2012 at 23:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SixDegrees

Actual evidence proves you wrong.

December 4, 2012 at 17:46 | Report abuse |
    • Sunshine100

Yah should be sewd for spewing such drivel and harmful cajolings (call 211 to ask what cajoling means). Duh. Stoopid. Probably live in backwoods or Alabama or Tennessee. Yer edukational level obviously supports this.

One wonders if you will be alive in a couple of months to continue yer campaign against the flu vaccine. Good Luck to you.

December 11, 2012 at 01:03 | Report abuse |
  18. Zoo

Vaccines contain a combination of at least 39 different highly toxic metals, cancer causing substances, toxic chemicals, live and genetically modified viruses, bacteria, contaminated serum containing animal viruses and foreign genetic material, extremely toxic de-contaminants and adjuvants, untested antibiotics, none of which can be injected without causing any harm. Vaccine contaminants have included bovine (cow), avian (chicken) and monkey viruses and bacteria such as streptococcus in the DTP (diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis) vaccine [Pediatrics, Vol. 75, No. 2, Feb 1985] and Serratia marcesens in the influenza vaccines [2004 influenza season].

December 3, 2012 at 23:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Alberto Florez

Zoo, thanks, very good info. People must learn what comes inside and reject

December 4, 2012 at 09:28 | Report abuse |
  19. Zoo

There is no scientific study to determine whether vaccines have really prevented diseases. Rather disease graphs show vaccines have been introduced at the end of epidemics when the disease was already in its last stages. In case of Small Pox the vaccine actually caused a great spurt in the incidence of disease before public outcry led to its withdrawal.
    There are no long-term studies on vaccine safety. Very short-term tests are carried out where the vaccinated subjects are checked against another group who are given another vaccine. Technically the tests should be carried out against a non-vaccinated group. No one really knows what protocols are followed at such industry based or industry sponsored trials.
    The mercury, aluminum and live viruses in vaccines may be behind the huge epidemic of autism (1 in 110 in the USA), a fact that has been admitted by the US Vaccine Court. About 83 suspected cases of vaccines causing autism have been awarded compensation.

December 3, 2012 at 23:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Alberto Florez

Zoo, yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Mainstream media, doctors and Big Pharma want us to know vaccines are safe and good enough, but overwhelming amount of cases contradict their opinions and false data
      Un- vaccinated chidren are always healthier against vaccinated.

December 4, 2012 at 09:31 | Report abuse |
    • flu shots didn't work

i have a sib that says he was affected by drugs mom gave him as a kid. (would have been from the doctor. vaccines most likely) and he does have autism like symptoms. nobody ever helped him. they put him in prison.

January 4, 2013 at 10:28 | Report abuse |
  20. Zoo

Vaccines suppress the natural immunity and the body does not have natural antibodies anymore. The mother’s milk therefore does not contain natural antibodies and can no longer protect the child against illnesses.
    In the USA vaccine adverse effects are recorded and the Government offers compensation of millions of dollars to victims (the most recent case in its Vaccine Court may have received upto $200 million in damages). The courts in the USA have paid nearly $ 2 billion in damages so far.
    Vaccines try to create humoral (blood related immunity) whereas it has been found that immunity is developed at various levels: humoral, cellular, and organ specific. We still do not know enough about the human immune system and therefore should not interfere with it.

December 3, 2012 at 23:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Vivienne

Good posts. Keep them coming. I wonder how many Big Pharma companies sit on the board of CNN. No truth there; just billions of dollars in profit.

December 4, 2012 at 00:05 | Report abuse |
    • Alberto Florez

I almost agree with you regarding vaccines and the way they try to "educate" oir inmunes system....but I must emphasize that we already know a lot about how our inmune system works.
      One of the key elements on this are called Transfer Factor. They are very small messenger molecules, capable to transfer inmunity from stronger creatures to weaker ones and from there, enhance, modulate and develop a powerful inmune system. There is a company 4Life Research which produces inmune suplements, one of them able to increase our natural killer cells up to 437%. When taking this supplements daily, no flu, no diseases, no cancer, no allergies at all.
      Lets forget about vaccines !!!!! Lets improve our inmune system.

December 4, 2012 at 09:41 | Report abuse |
  21. Zoo

1 Do you believe in herd immunity? If so, how is it that 98% of U.S.A. children are vaccinated yet they still have outbreaks of these diseases?

2 Most diseases were already 90% gone before any vaccines were introduced. If this is so, how can vaccines be applauded for diseases ceasing, especially when there were no vaccines for some diseases like bubonic plague and scarlet fever?

3How can the Tetanus vaccine induce immunity, when contracting the disease naturally does not give immunity?

4If the so-called diphtheria vaccine, which is in fact a toxoid, works against the toxin produced by the bacteria, and not against the bacteria itself, then how did this “vaccine” help in the decline in diphtheria?

December 4, 2012 at 00:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Alberto Florez

Zoo you are right !

December 4, 2012 at 09:42 | Report abuse |
    • Joe

It's convenient to state that vaccines are introduced at the tail end of an epidemic, when the vaccine is what prevents the spread of the epidemic. I believe you have mistaken causation and correlation.

December 5, 2012 at 15:00 | Report abuse |
  22. Zoom

Pls educate

December 4, 2012 at 00:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. jim

Its time all corrupt and filthy sodomite pedophile politicians and news anchors to give serious thought about Suicide so you may avoid the wrath of God......

Except gay 0bama the anti-Christ God is taking him out Personally....

December 4, 2012 at 00:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sam

Maybe you should consider the same fate since you're obviously a judgemental idiot! What makes you think you'll be exempt from the so called "wrath of God" yourself oh righteous one without any sin?

December 4, 2012 at 00:51 | Report abuse |
  24. Bobbo

This can be found in the package insert for FluMist on page 1:

"FluMist Quadrivalent is approved for use in persons 2 through 49 years of
    age."
    "In clinical trials, risks of hospitalization and wheezing were increased in
    children younger than 2 years of age who received FluMist (trivalent
    Influenza Vaccine Live, Intranasal)."
    "Safety and effectiveness of FluMist Quadrivalent have not been
    established in pregnant women, nursing mothers, geriatric adults, or
    children less than 2 years of age."
    "In clinical trials, in children 6 through 23 months of age, FluMist was
    associated with an increased risk of hospitalization and wheezing."

Information is a beautiful thing, errrrr

December 4, 2012 at 01:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. yves

Logic for the brain dead.................if nurses refuse to take the shots......does that tell you something?

December 4, 2012 at 01:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SixDegrees

That there are a handful of really stupid nurses.

December 4, 2012 at 17:48 | Report abuse |
  26. CTB

@ Bobbo: You quote issues with FluMist for the groups outside of the ones for which FluMist is approved. That is exactly why FluMist is not approved for those groups. The group of persons of age 2-49 years does _not_ include children 6-23 months, nor children under 2 years, nor persons who are of geriatric age. Yes, information is a beautiful thing, and it must be read correctly.

December 4, 2012 at 03:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bobbo

@CTB, it is being read correctly. Are you reading what I read above, that the director of the CDC stated, "I encourage everyone 6 months and up to get vaccinated." And he also brags about how half of pregnant women have been vaccinated.

So my issue is with the CDC saying a certain group of people should be vaccinated where there is no evidence of it's safety or efficacy.

December 4, 2012 at 09:24 | Report abuse |
  27. Alberto Florez

As I already mentioned on some replies, INMUNE SYSTEM is the key and we need to educate and boost it to make it stronger enough to fight not only the flu, but all diseases, including cancer, aids, bacterial infections, allergies an so on.
    And modern biotechnology companies have develop natural supplements to accomplish this. One of the supplements are called Transfer Factors. Give them a look, no side effects, they always work, not only to prevent but to help our own defenses to fight with a stronger weaponry

December 4, 2012 at 09:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SixDegrees

Vaccines boost the immune system. It's how they work.

December 4, 2012 at 17:49 | Report abuse |
    • Alberto Florez

Six degrees, you are misleading, vaccines do not overall boost our inmune system , they ONLY provide a SINGLE knowledge or just ONE piece of information against only ONE virus

December 5, 2012 at 07:47 | Report abuse |
    • VladT

Well, at least Alberto only took four posts to get to whatever fake health product he is hawking.

1st post summary: "Big Pharma! Big Pharma!"

4th post summary: "Buy this!"

December 5, 2012 at 09:40 | Report abuse |
    • Alberto Florez

Vlad T, I aggre with you regarding big pharma profits on vaccines and Vitamin D good heath suport.

But I totally disagree to your comments regarding "fake health products", referrering to Transfer Factors. It is the most absolute IGNORANCE. Please get informed, read, understand about this natural molecules. You as many people try to discredit something unknown, only because it come from "somebody" and not because of knowledge or understanding.

TF (Transfer factors) were discovered in 1949 by Sherwood Lawrence MD. working at New York University. More than 3,000 scientific studies and papers have been realeased since.....you may find some at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed.

And besides your comment of "buying", I did not say a word on that. I only try to OPEN other´s people mind and let them develop enough interest to investigate on their own. Finally if you want to learn more I offer you a complete explanation on the subject.

Regards, Alberto

December 5, 2012 at 17:02 | Report abuse |
  28. Kenny f

There is no better way, including vaccines, to prevent the flu than eating REAL FOOD.
    Stop eating processed junk - food that contains sugar, wheat and vegetable oils depress the immune system as well as making you sick and fat - shop in the produce aisle, drink real chicken broth every day, stop eating factory-farmed meat, and have some fermented/probiotic food every day. Your body CAN and WILL fight off airborne illnesses if given the proper tools.

Just Eat Real Food.

December 4, 2012 at 10:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SixDegrees

'Fraid not.

December 4, 2012 at 17:50 | Report abuse |
    • S

Sorry, but you could have the best diet, drink pure water, and stay as healthy as you can, but you can still get cancer. While I agree that people shouldn't eat processed food and drink there isn't much you can do to change their minds. While I'd like to agree with you some people just don't have the best genetics and immune systems.

December 5, 2012 at 00:23 | Report abuse |
  29. Zen

Vaccines kill, cripple and spread diseases. These are their only proven effects. Now go and get your damned vaccine to enrich pharma mafia!

December 4, 2012 at 11:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SixDegrees

Incorrect.

December 4, 2012 at 17:50 | Report abuse |
    • Alberto Florez

Zen, you are RIGHT !!!!

December 5, 2012 at 07:48 | Report abuse |
    • flu shots didn't work

just went through the flu. shots didn't help. save your money.

January 4, 2013 at 10:16 | Report abuse |
  30. GrimReaper

H1N1...be afraid, very afraid.

H1N1!
    H1N1!
    H1N1!
    H1N1!

December 4, 2012 at 17:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Mike

Why is it that we don't have these pandemics in third world countries? Fear mongering poisoners can ruin a good day...

December 4, 2012 at 23:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SixDegrees

Uh – not only do these pandemics affect third world countries, they are often far worse there than elsewhere. Flu can strike anyone, but its effects are far more pronounced among the impoverished.

December 5, 2012 at 03:45 | Report abuse |
  32. NoMoreLabels

Three people in my household have it (including me)–trust me...you don't want this!!

December 5, 2012 at 07:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • flu shots didn't work

i agree. i needed to take oxycodone just to drink water. my throat hurt so bad (swollen shut) that i couldn't drink water. i knew that i need water, but couldn't drink without pain pills (fortunately i had some from a previous problem). its bad.

January 4, 2013 at 10:19 | Report abuse |
    • flu shots didn't work

and it still hurt. baby aspirin sort of helped a little bit too. right on my throat. chew them up and let them sit on the swollen part for a while. it was bad. even after oxycodone it still hurt too much to swallow. couldn't talk. can't stand to hear noise. don't want to answer questions because it hurts too much. can't talk. miserable damn thing.

January 4, 2013 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
  33. Alberto Florez

Mike, further more, pandemics, or at least AH1N1 pandemic was a fake, it was pre-fabricated by big pharma with great support from WHO. Even considering fatalities, it was less damaging than seasonal influenza. These are not only my words, these are FACTS. As you said, fear is and will continue to be the "disease enhancer" and key element on bihg pharma marketing. No fear,no profits

Six Degrees needs to adjust his/her info

December 5, 2012 at 07:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Alberto Florez

If vaccines are good, why do people try to get out from them and why big pharma is pushing and enforced them by law and brutal actions?
    Read this:

December 5, 2012 at 08:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • flu shots didn't work

i didn't read yours yet, but i read the one on cnn. pharma thinks they own our bodies, but they don't. corporations love to make laws that we all have to use their products. and this country is corrupted to protect the corporations, not the consumers. its a problem.

January 4, 2013 at 10:22 | Report abuse |
  35. Cleopatra1981

Alberto, Zoo, Zoom, and Bobbo, I'm with you on this one, people need to know the truth rather than lining up like sheep to get the jab. This is the second article in the health section that's pushing the flu shot, therefore, this is the last time I'm reading CNN.

December 5, 2012 at 09:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Alberto Florez

Cleopatra thanks to your support. I agree with you. Mainstream media pushes what Big Pharma dictates

December 5, 2012 at 17:05 | Report abuse |
  36. VladT

"I have no medical training and a third grade education, but I am going to tell you all that Big Pharma makes $$$$ off of flu vaccines, and that eating vitamin D will magically make your immune system cure the flu, AIDS, cancer, and painful rectal itch."

To all the newcomers, that is the Cliffs' notes version of, sadly, too many asinine, clueless posts. Enjoy

December 5, 2012 at 09:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. lynn

My husband and I both got the flu shot in Oct. We're in our mid-70's and just heard on the news it's only 56% effective for the elderly. That explains why we have both been fighting the respiratory flu for 5 days. Also we live in the south central U.S., but not one of the states listed as being hit by the flu.

December 5, 2012 at 11:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom

Think of how much worse it would have been if you did not have that partial immunity from getting the flu shot!

December 5, 2012 at 11:47 | Report abuse |
    • Zoom

Or how much better your body could resist the flu virus, has it not been poisoned by the vaccine earlier!

December 5, 2012 at 12:50 | Report abuse |
    • Tom

@Zoom...ignorant troll....People who think like you do are the reason that childhood diseases like Whooping Cough, Measles and Chicken pox are on the rise, and often have fatal results. Get back under your rock....or get educated!

December 5, 2012 at 12:53 | Report abuse |
  38. Joe

I am frightened by those who are so ignorant to legitimate scientific principles yet yell so loudly in defiance without a shred of evidence.

Do you know how the immune system works? Your body isn't filled with magical elves who kindly attack the foreign material you know. The human immune system is probably the single greatest species advantage we posess. It's ability to adapt and defend itself against the organisms and viruses that mutate rapidly is what has prevent mass extinction. I encourage those who believe that vaccines don't prevent diseases to live their naive lives as cavemen, mother nature will do the rest for me.

December 5, 2012 at 14:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. PillTablets

http://www.pilltablets.com The more safe, secure and reliable pharmacy online. Offering you outstanding prices for any of your medical needs. At pilltablets.com you'll receive discreet, no cost medical consultations with state licensed doctors and pharmacists. We have Tramadol, Fioricet, Rozerem Sold without prescription. 100% US Medicines, FDA approved and best of all COD payments accepted. Satisfaction Guaranteed

December 7, 2012 at 06:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. flu shots didn't work

just went through the flu. shots didn't help. save your money.

January 4, 2013 at 10:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Rathsack

I question the effectiveness of the vaccine this year. We had two guests who arrived the weekend before Christmas, that contracted the flu in Illinois (they did not have their flu shots.) Out of 6 additional people in the household that had been vaccinated – 2 people tested positive for the flu a few days later. The other four were immediately put on Tamiflu – so who knows if they would have come down with it as well. The six had all received the vaccine at least 5 weeks prior to this weekend. So – 30% of those vaccinated came down with the flu (not the 10% they like to report!)

January 9, 2013 at 17:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Sebly

I was just reading all of the comments as a passerby and I just wanted to say that I have the flu right now, today. I have had it since last Saturday night, and so far, Its kicked me to the curb!! I believe if I had not received the flu shot this year that I would probably be in the Hospital right now. Thankfully, my Doctor prescribed "Zofran for me for the Nausea, as this is a tremendous help for me to be able to stand vertically for at least 20 minutes. So for those who have the flu, please feel better.

January 10, 2013 at 07:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Mana Vacio

Influenza (flu), on the other hand, is a viral infection that mimics a cold except that it starts forcefully with symptoms of fatigue, fever, and respiratory congestion. While more than 100 different virus types can cause a common cold, only influenza virus types A, B, and C cause flu. More severe cases of influenza can lead to life-threatening illnesses such as pneumonia.',.."

Latest write-up from our own blog page
    <http://www.wellnessdigest.co/

July 5, 2013 at 10:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Mitt Romney

Thanks, job well done!

December 3, 2012 at 17:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Terry

Add bankruptcy and our speeding course to thirdworld status, exactly where America hating obama wants us.

December 3, 2012 at 18:41 | Report abuse | Reply