home
RSS
Applegate: 'I miss my exquisite breasts'
October 25th, 2012

Applegate: 'I miss my exquisite breasts'

Christina Applegate, star of the television comedy “Up All Night,” has talked openly about her experience with breast cancer.

Still, the actress wishes she hadn’t been outed to the world in 2008 before the anesthetic from her mastectomy surgery even wore off.

“The good thing is that we got the information out,” Applegate says in this month’s edition of MORE magazine. “But talking about the facts of the disease, I didn’t have to see what was going on with me. I think when it slowed down, all of that came crashing down.”

Applegate had two lumpectomies and was supposed to start radiation when she found out she had a mutation on the BRCA1 gene, which increased her risk for recurrence of breast and ovarian cancers. That’s why Applegate made the decision to undergo a double mastectomy.

Quoting her character from the movie, “Anchorman,” Applegate tells MORE: “Aw, I miss my exquisite breasts sometimes.”

CNN is continuing our Breast Cancer Awareness Month coverage with a Facebook discussion at 12 p.m. ET on Friday, October 26. Allison Gilbert, who wrote about her mastectomy for CNN, and former CBS “Early Show” host Rene Syler will be leading the conversation. Like our page at Facebook.com/CNNHealth to join in!

Then, check back this weekend as CNN Health teams up with iReport to tell the stories of five women who have the BRCA gene and how they dealt with the devastating news.

1. ColonBlow

I miss 6 inches of my adorable colon.

October 27, 2012 at 18:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Casey

Yes... they were exquisite... : ) but Christina is still totally exquisite in her beauty, both inner and outer.

October 27, 2012 at 18:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Obi_donkenobi

FYI: Just because you have "the gene" does not mean you have to get the disease. You can avoid triggering the gene by eating more like a vegan and less like an American. In other words make animal protein (meat, dairy, fish, poultry) a *very* small percentage of what you ingest, and your chances of avoiding every major disease you can think of will be greatly enhanced. I always recommend "The China Study," by Dr. T. Colin Campbell for anyone who is serious about their health.

October 27, 2012 at 19:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. adam h

You're awesome Christina.

October 27, 2012 at 20:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. The Mom Show

Such a brave and amazing woman. She faced what must have been an overwhelming tragedy and emerged a hero and spokesperson for millions of women.

October 27, 2012 at 22:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. saftgek

Another "dude" who uses his brain solely for the purpose of keeping his ears separated.

October 27, 2012 at 23:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. CeceliaLatoof

Six weeks after my big sis (Bryanna) died, after a three year battle, of breast cancer at age 39 (docs figured it had begun as many as eight to ten years prior to detection...that means age 25 to 27 at onset), I faced my own double mastectomy. Though I wouldn't describe my breasts as exquisite, they were real, and they were mine. I still have dreams that I still have my breasts. This is really what Christina was 'joking' about. Listen, you guys, when you lose your testicles or penis to a cancer (or, even perhaps an accident), you won't find the joks funny, and I promise you will miss your 'exquisite' testicles and penis...and you will suffer the dreams that they are still there. So, everyone, let's have a good laugh. Another note to everyone about this: nothing the doctors rebuild can, or ever will, replace what one once had. The look, the feel, the shape cannot replace what is forever gone and cannot equal what was once there. It's a good idea to think, and feel, before opening one's mouth, or mindlessly clicking the keypad. Christina is a sister to me, though we have, and will never, meet. I wept for her. Now, I weep for you all. CL

October 27, 2012 at 23:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. saveyourfeet

I'm Type 1 diabetic. What's important to me is that I almost lost my feet to amputation because of diabetic complications. What brought them back from the brink of amputation? Saveyourfeet.wordpress.com if you are a diabetic, read this blog!!!!NOW!!!

October 28, 2012 at 00:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Marc

My daughter, who was also named Christina, had multiple triple negative cancers and also had to go through a double mastectomy. After being cancer-free from more than one year she died of liver, kidney and heart failure from the damage done to her organs during chemotherapy. Cancer is not a joking matter, and you, sire, are a completely classless and ignorant person.

Christina Applegate was, is and always will be a beautiful woman. Any real man knows that it is what is in her heart that really matters. People like you say things like what you said because you are jealous of never having known a woman with class and dignity, let alone a beaufiful woman. If you were any kind of real man, then you would apologize for what you said and hope that you mother, sisters and wife or girlfriend (assuming you had one before your comment) never read what you wrote.

October 28, 2012 at 01:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Wes Scott

If those guys making insensitive comments had a penisectomy, then they may as well go ahead and have the gender modification surgery because after losing the inch or less they currently have they would no longer qualify as being "males."

October 28, 2012 at 02:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. CeceliaLatoof

how generous and compassionate of you. you'd be willing to 'do her' from behind, but, she wouldn't be willing to 'do you' at all or in any way. she's a lady. you're a pig. and she isn't into bestiality. but, at least you can dream.

October 28, 2012 at 02:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. JAYRAY

Imagine if we would have lost Christina Applegate to cancer like we did Gilda Radner. I would miss Christina's "exquisite" existence very much.

October 28, 2012 at 02:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CeceliaLatoof

i remember whare i was, what i was doing, and the pain i felt when we lost gilda. "Well, Jane, it just goes to show you, it's always something–if it ain't one thing, it's another."

October 28, 2012 at 03:00 | Report abuse |
    • KM

You have written some of the most beautiful words I've ever seen in the "comment section"...and you are so right!

October 29, 2012 at 04:49 | Report abuse |
    • Bushpig

@CeceliaLatoof
      Really? you remember everything? You obviously have no life. I'm sorry.

October 29, 2012 at 08:42 | Report abuse |
    • CeceliaLatoof

@Bushpig...Please don't aplogize for your opinion that I have no life. You simply have no memory, or are a young cub who was either not yet born when gilda died, or was too young to be affected by it to remember it yourslf. Where wer YOU when the lights went out? Or, are you too young or ill informed too remember what that statement refers to? Another comment/question to you BP, where were you when lennon was murdered? if you were alive at time, you do remember. we all do. Intellegence and sinsitivity do not equal an empy life....it equals a life that is filled to overflowing. CL

October 29, 2012 at 23:02 | Report abuse |
    • CeceliaLatoof

@KM: I'm not sure who owes you a very big 'thank you'..........were you commenting to JAYRAY or to me? If to JR, I thank you for him. If to me, I thank you. CL

October 30, 2012 at 10:57 | Report abuse |
  13. couer

She has the most "exquisite" famous baby girl I have ever laid my eyes on.

October 28, 2012 at 07:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Randy

You're still just as beautiful! And that's coming from a young, relatively attractive guy like myself : )

October 28, 2012 at 08:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. LegMan

I really don't see how publishing this comment will help anyone else or make her story more interesting. She's battling cancer. Isn't that enough for you @ssholes?

October 28, 2012 at 08:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Orlando guy

Applegate is one of the most talented and beautiful women on TV. She is a champion.

October 28, 2012 at 12:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Relly?

Never heard of her before.

October 29, 2012 at 10:35 | Report abuse |
  17. mikey

Oh Christina, you'll always be our Kelly Bundy.

October 28, 2012 at 12:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. dennis

you are a waste of space

October 28, 2012 at 13:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Kevin

Christina rules.

October 28, 2012 at 13:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Carole Clarke

Is she related to the actor whose name is (I think) Royce Applegate who played in "Gettysburg"? His role was the Speaker of the House in Richmond and he was a general in the Confederate Army. He had some memorable lines before his character fell in Pickett's Charge.

October 28, 2012 at 14:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Jt_flyer

She's grows prettier with age.

October 28, 2012 at 14:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Joe in Kalispell

There is no question she had exquisite breasts. If she had a good plastic surgeon I am sure they still are.
    BTW, everything about her is exquisite.

October 28, 2012 at 15:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. He Man

Lot of "guys" on here today in touch with their fem side. I'll bet they dig the "guys" from the Sonic commercials too.

October 28, 2012 at 15:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rick Schrager

The headline said breasts... What did you think would happen? Moths to a flame!

October 29, 2012 at 12:25 | Report abuse |
    • Dennis

It appears you have a crush on both of them.

October 29, 2012 at 23:23 | Report abuse |
  24. Mick

Still no shortage of exquisite going on there.

October 28, 2012 at 16:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. nativewooder

I may be 70 years old but I know a beautiful woman when I see one and Christina is one of those very special beauties!

October 28, 2012 at 21:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. helene Los Banos

you " would do her" ? like she, or any woman would even acknowledge your pitiful existence is a pipe dream that you should give up on already. You probably have such an ugly face that the onlyw ay anyone would have sex with you is from behind so they dont have to look at you...probably a goat!!!!

October 29, 2012 at 00:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. SirToYe

ROFL

October 29, 2012 at 02:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Hugh Jass

" Where are the moderators?" Click on 'Report Abuse' instead of making his dick comment more relevant by responding.

October 29, 2012 at 09:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Mitt Zombie

Screw all you guys!!! Muhahahahhahaha!

October 29, 2012 at 09:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Joel

More attention needs to be paid to lung cancer–it kills more Americans than breast cancer, and it gets only a fraction of the federal funding for research that breast cancer gets. Further, you can live without your breasts; you can't live without your lungs. Instead of "Save theTa-Tas," how about "Save the Lu-Lus"??

October 29, 2012 at 09:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Relly?

How about – Stop Smoking? It's called taking responsibility, or making choices and paying the consequences. But Obamacare will allow me to pay for your ignorance. yay.

October 29, 2012 at 10:38 | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet1984

@Relly? I have a friend dying of lung cancer right now who never smoked a day in her life. Don't speak out of your @ $$

October 29, 2012 at 11:32 | Report abuse |
    • really

Many other cancers are much more deadly. Watch Penn and Teller's BS show on the subject. It's called 'breast hysteria,' or something like that.

October 29, 2012 at 13:15 | Report abuse |
    • MSB

Smoking causes lung cancer! Women don't choose to get breast cancer, if you smoke you are choosing lung cancer!

October 29, 2012 at 14:15 | Report abuse |
    • Shane

While you can get lung cancer without smoking, a vast majority of the cancer patients get it because of smoking. So since most of the time it is self inflicted, then its going to recieved less attention.

October 30, 2012 at 00:38 | Report abuse |
    • sumday

Doesn't this actress smoke ciggs? So all you pl posting will feel sorry for her bc she got breast cancer, but if she gets lung cancer I'm suppose to believe you same poster won't feel sorry for her then? You pl may be right that smoking is a choice, but may I remind you it's a choice the gov allows with nothing more than a warning lable. Cigg comp add more nicotine to keep you addicted and the FDA does nothing about it, they add in 100's of unsafe chemicals and the gov does nothing but tax it more. I wouldn't feel as sorry for the smokers except for the fact that the gov knows there is no safe way to smoke but do nothing about it, it causes cancer, and cigg companies ADD more nicotine to keep smokers additiced. Seems like the deck is stacked against smokers quiting and the gov is totally ok with that.

November 1, 2012 at 14:03 | Report abuse |
  31. Hugh Jass

This is where the acting lessons pay off, kids. Just in case you aspiring actresses think it's all standing sideways and pouting. Topheavy or not, she can make a movie pay off for investors.

October 29, 2012 at 09:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Big Sur

And she still smokes cigarettes. Hard to feel sorry for her.

October 29, 2012 at 10:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. MWC

You are still every bit as gorgeous as ever, and we still love you, every bit as much!
    Your smile, your amazing wit... You are still a true beauty!

October 29, 2012 at 11:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. cpc65

"lumpectomies"? I would've thought they'd have a more technical term for something like that.

October 29, 2012 at 14:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. GenericMan

she looks great. I liked her in Just Visiting.

October 29, 2012 at 17:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Lizard Lance

I miss her exquisite breasts too. But I'd rather have everything else about her that's exquisite alive and well than have her in a pine box six feet beneath the earth.

October 30, 2012 at 02:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. kittypult

another victim of the american medical establishment. only in america do you get 'cancer'.

October 30, 2012 at 04:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. James Couts

We all do. But you're just as awesome without them

October 30, 2012 at 04:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Craig

I wish she would have shown them to us before she had them removed some we all could bask in their exsquisite glory :(

October 30, 2012 at 05:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Grivin

Enough information i found here.http://www.track3.com

October 31, 2012 at 13:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. tandee

If they would stop putting carrageenan in dairy products, I wouldn't be surprised if incidences of both breast and colon cancers would decrease significantly. Read your labels, it's in a lot of products. I even found it in popscicles...

October 31, 2012 at 14:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. William

Smoking does not always cause lung cancer, my grandfather survived being shot during WW2, smoked a pack a day and died at 93 from a car accident. But that's rather the exception than the rule. Some people are just more genetically predisposed to cancers than others. As for Christina, I think she is exquisitely beautiful no matter her breasts Her smile speaks a thousand words.

November 1, 2012 at 20:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Thomas

I miss them too.

Wait... did I type that?

Seriously tho... It must have been a brutal decision. I can't even imagine.
    But I wish more attention was paid to diet in research. Possibly find a way to help ensure stuff like this doesn't have to happen.

November 6, 2012 at 12:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Danny

She is a very beautiful woman and breasts or no breast she has got appeal.

November 7, 2012 at 18:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Bill Leuallen

Equisite breasts yes, but I'd much rather have her around that not.

November 18, 2012 at 12:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. RicoT

I'm glad her exquisite face is still here, but I miss those lovely globes too! I'd miss her acting, too, so I am glad she made that difficult choice. She did a fine job on Married w/Children, despite the harsh criticism. Her talent on that show was her perfect timing. The other work she has done shows her full acting skill.

November 21, 2012 at 12:24 | Report abuse | Reply