home
RSS
October 24th, 2012

Post removed: Study looks at voting and hormones

A post previously published in this space regarding a study about how hormones may influence voting choices has been removed.

After further review it was determined that some elements of the story did not meet the editorial standards of CNN.

We thank you for your comments and feedback.

Filed under: No Category

1. Ruby S.

Where is the companion piece on the (dubious) relationship between men's hormones and how they vote? ... ... ... I'm waiting. ... Oh, there isn't one? Shocking.

October 24, 2012 at 15:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • marjee123

Correct because men have a hormone problem also. Of course because the health industry makes more money promoting all kinds of medicine for women to control their hormones you never hear about men. It doesn't pay to promote "cures" to men.

October 24, 2012 at 15:09 | Report abuse |

don't hate

October 24, 2012 at 15:09 | Report abuse |
    • Golf_Whiskey

Men's hormonal cycles aren't readily obvious, making their study almost impossible re: polling.

October 24, 2012 at 15:15 | Report abuse |
    • luvlar

Right Ruby, men have serious hormone problems that every month cause irritability, headaches, cramps, etc, etc. Oh wait, maybe they don't. Actually the only hormone that changes, and very little at best, is testosterone. It's higher in the mornings, lower at bed time. 24 hour cycle. Women like to blame men for everything as it is. But trust me, your hormone issues are not a mans fault.

October 24, 2012 at 15:38 | Report abuse |
  2. ann wilson

Single women would be more likely to vote for a candidate that is pro-choice. If you are married and have an
    unplanned pregnancy, it is not as big a deal as being a single woman with an unplanned pregnancy. This
    study only shows that men just don't get it with the unwanted pregnancy situation. So women and girls get
    out and VOTE on November 6th. Men will never be fully able to understand your needs, since they don't get
    pregnant and they don't have to raise the child all by themselves.

October 24, 2012 at 15:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Joel

Attention men: This is what privilege looks like. Nobody assumes your vote is controlled by your hormones.

October 24, 2012 at 15:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Effelbee

This is a ridiculous article and a genuine insult to women.

October 24, 2012 at 15:05 | Report abuse | Reply

why?

October 24, 2012 at 15:10 | Report abuse |
    • Betsy

This researcher probably went to the same school as Richard Mourdock and Todd Akin.

October 24, 2012 at 15:25 | Report abuse |
    • Mary

I agree. The fact that someone actually conducted this study infuriates me. What a waste of money! I think the research money could be better utilized. I also am surprised that CNN chose to report on it. Once again it is just another attempt to represent women as the 'weaker' sex.

October 24, 2012 at 15:40 | Report abuse |
  5. Dana Cox

I read somewhere their periods attract bears. Bears can smell the menstruation.

October 24, 2012 at 15:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Scott

Correct. Also you should not have sex in bear country. That too attracts them. I read about both in a U.S. Forest Service pamphlet about hiking in bear country.

Scott

October 24, 2012 at 15:30 | Report abuse |
  6. OrangePekoe

Nonsense. WOmen don't vote with their hormones nor, I suspect, do they vote for pro-choice candidates because they're single. They vote for those candidates who have their interests, and those they care about, at heart.

October 24, 2012 at 15:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • guna

who appointed you speaker of women?

October 24, 2012 at 15:12 | Report abuse |
    • midwest3

Well said, OrangePekoe!

October 24, 2012 at 15:31 | Report abuse |
  7. skeeve

and the study group of women was drawn from Texas.... enough said

October 24, 2012 at 15:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Julius

Exactly why women should never have been given the right to vote.

October 24, 2012 at 15:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Clint Eastwood

Or bare their arms.

October 24, 2012 at 15:16 | Report abuse |
    • Opposite Apple

Or arm their bares.

October 24, 2012 at 15:18 | Report abuse |

Or air their barns

October 24, 2012 at 15:20 | Report abuse |
    • Karen

Or take out and ARM on their barn ... unless they are married and hubby co-signs.

October 24, 2012 at 16:08 | Report abuse |
  9. Bobbie Nobel

I read this study when it was published in the "Journal of Whaaa?"

October 24, 2012 at 15:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jack Jack

WOW CNN – your prejudice is showing through. Talk about a War on Women! How does a "news" agency present such an irresponsible aritcle? This is not news, but it is one more reason people are tuning out CNN. Where's the Real News gone? I loved Chuck Norris and the others of 6+ years ago. Now CNN is like the MTV of information. In the words of Bevis, "You guys suck."

October 24, 2012 at 15:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jack Jack

I meant Chuck Roberts. But he was the Chuck Norris of news back in the day. Now we have morons on the air, and on the web for CNN. Anderson Cooper is cool, but the rest of the lot are nothing but babelfish and airheads! The article above is NOT news, it is gender biased garbage.

October 24, 2012 at 15:21 | Report abuse |
  11. Valerie

How FREAKING INSULTING! Good bye CNN......................I won't be back.

October 24, 2012 at 15:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • elandau

Hi Valerie, as I stated in the article, several political scientists are skeptical about these conclusions and offered alternative explanations for the results found. It was not my intention to insult anyone, and I hope that you will continue reading CNN.com.

Regards,
      Elizabeth Landau, CNN

October 24, 2012 at 15:24 | Report abuse |

@jackATTACK

one cannot assess the effect on skills that do not exist

October 24, 2012 at 15:35 | Report abuse |
  12. Mitt Romney

As I mentioned last week, this is why I prefer my women to be in binders.

October 24, 2012 at 15:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Tag

That CNN would even regurgitate such garbage is disgusting.

October 24, 2012 at 15:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Susan B. Anthony

Women don't vote based policy positions – their feeble minds can barely grasp such things. Whether a candidate will have a woman's support depends on what day of the month the election is scheduled. That is, of course, no way to run a democracy. I think it's high time we re-examine women's sufferage, and correct this terrible mistake of letting them have the vote in the first place.

October 24, 2012 at 15:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • guna

I'm on the fence with that, Susan

October 24, 2012 at 15:23 | Report abuse |
    • Stacie

Obadiah! quit daydreaming and get back to the barn raising.

October 24, 2012 at 16:03 | Report abuse |
  15. Tagg Romney

If you're talking about my mother – and I think you are – I'm feeling the need to come over there and slap you.

October 24, 2012 at 15:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Kim

How can I report this article for offensiveness rather than reporting comments? CNN have you been bought by dummies recently?

October 24, 2012 at 15:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Heather

I'm on my period right now and I'm voting for Obama. I wasn't on a my period 2 weeks ago and I was still going to vote for Obama. Is this a joke?

October 24, 2012 at 15:23 | Report abuse | Reply

you wont be on Nov. 6

October 24, 2012 at 15:24 | Report abuse |
    • JohnnyDH

Yes, voting for Obama is a joke.

October 24, 2012 at 15:27 | Report abuse |
  18. mirgirl

This is the most offensive thing I have read in a very long time. Given that this is election season, that is saying something. Shame on CNN for treating this like a legitimate news story.

October 24, 2012 at 15:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • guna

dude. they're only asking a question. ARE QUESTIONS NO LONGER ALLOWED??

October 24, 2012 at 15:25 | Report abuse |
  19. A thinking woman

This is incredibly offensive. Shame on you CNN!

October 24, 2012 at 15:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. VPIN

Total crap- this is the most ridiculous study ever. Officially done with cnn. After hurrican Katrina you became my trusted news network- now you have become a joke.

October 24, 2012 at 15:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Ree

What? There's scepticism about research coming out of the internationally well-known, highly rated, intellectual powerhouse- The University of Texas, San Antonio?

October 24, 2012 at 15:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Ann Romney

People of America. Do not worry. I have synchronized my cycle to correspond with my husband's. Once a year, like clock work, the sap rises.

October 24, 2012 at 15:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. BJean

The drum beat of gender bias against women just doesn't quit. Not one- but two of our US congressmen have come right out in favor of rape pregnancies. Women are known for their attention to detail over men. Why do you think that the vast majority of executive secretaries are women? They are the ones doing the REAL work of our businesses, while the exec. men are out on the golf course, having 3 martini lunches or in the motel with the mistress. Women vote the way they do because 1) they care 2) they read & investigate 3) they think 4) they compare 5) they know it really matters 6) they listen (something we know most men are incapable of doing!) I've noticed that there is an abundance of black being pushed on us women lately......even in the summer.....black shorts, purses, shoes, dresses, swimming suits, tops, etc......with the kind of thinking highlighted by the above article.......can the burkas be far behind?!!!!!!

October 24, 2012 at 15:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • guna

the blanket you provided us men with is quite soft and warm

October 24, 2012 at 15:29 | Report abuse |
  24. elandau

Hi everyone, please read the entire article before commenting. You will see that academics at respected institutions disagree with the conclusions of the study, and offer alternative explanations for the results.

This is an article about the process of the research; obviously more study needs to be done in order to make definitive statements.

Regards,
    Elizabeth Landau, CNN

October 24, 2012 at 15:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • A thinking woman

I read the whole post and I'm still disgusted by it. To give press to such a study with the headline "Do hormones drive women's votes?" is offensive. It's not a question that should be posed at all and discussing the study in the manner you did suggests that it asked a question worth asking. A far more interesting blog post – and less offensive – could have focused on different voting patterns between single women and married women, for example. But to lend ANY credence to the suggestion that women are hormone driven voters is unacceptable.

October 24, 2012 at 15:30 | Report abuse |

@thinkingwoman

you are not a scientist.. maybe

October 24, 2012 at 15:32 | Report abuse |
    • rhradecky

I understand what you are saying, however, I think its a huge disappointment that CNN would choose to re-print something so ignorant and offensive. This "scientific research" should be re-printed in The Onion, not CNN. As a fellow woman I am totally blown away that you would even consider this responsible journalism.

October 24, 2012 at 15:42 | Report abuse |
    • EJ

This article confirms CNN's continuing free fall into absurdity.

October 24, 2012 at 15:57 | Report abuse |
    • Gina

Elizabeth Landau, why did you assume we didn't read the entire article? I read it all, I'm disgusted with it, and I don't think any more "study" needs to be done based upon such a condescending premise. Shame on you CNN.

October 24, 2012 at 15:59 | Report abuse |
    • RJ

I did read the entire article. I saw that there was skepticism voiced about the results. What I find offensive is that the QUESTION IS EVEN ASKED! Women have been marginalized for centuries and the justification used was because of our hormones. For the results of this "study" to even hint that women are unduly influenced–on something so important as who to vote for to lead our country–by what day we are on in our cycle is insulting! And the fact that this garbage was served up by a woman is even more of a shame.

October 24, 2012 at 16:27 | Report abuse |
  25. di

Sure hope that any further studies into this absurdly irrelevant issue aren't funded by taxpayers.

October 24, 2012 at 15:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. chih

CNN. where is your standard?
    Your print acticles like this?
    Are you really standing that low now?

October 24, 2012 at 15:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. ari

is this article serious? implying that women seriously base their votes on which candidate looks "manlier" is incredibly demeaning and offensive. the vast majority of women do not change their fundamental beliefs (regarding abortion, equal pay, etc) on their ovulation cycle. what a load of garbage. a simpler and less pseudo-scientific explanation would simply be that women who are married tend to be more conservative than single women. it has nothing to do with their periods.

October 24, 2012 at 15:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. ABarker

The denigration of women in this election by the so-called “liberal left” is scary. In this election, they have clearly stated that women are nothing more than their reproductive organs and this article only perpetuates it. As a woman, I am offended and find it incredibly sad for the women of today and the generations to come.

October 24, 2012 at 15:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ari

how did you come to the conclusion that the authors (of the article or of the research paper) are "liberal"? did you read that somewhere?

October 24, 2012 at 15:34 | Report abuse |
    • BJean

Just what the "liberal left" has to do with Texas, CNN or this article eludes me.

October 24, 2012 at 15:34 | Report abuse |
  29. Kim

Elizabeth Landau...I read the whole article and I'm still now happy. First of all, doing the study in the first place means that it was even question which is ridiculous. Spend that money on finding cures for cancer. Secondly, CNN even reporting on this and putting it out there is irresponsible. The media is extremely powerful and should be more responsible. I want real news, real facts, and enough of the BS. We have two grown men out there spewing crap about rape pregnancies. How did they get this stupid? Maybe from article like this? Get rid of this article. It's insulting at best, and down right inflammatory at worst.

October 24, 2012 at 15:34 | Report abuse | Reply

@Kim Kardashian

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." – Albert E.

October 24, 2012 at 15:38 | Report abuse |
  30. drinker75

From personal experience, I don't buy it. Although age may have made me slightly more conservative on some issues I haven't really changed my opinions on most things from the time I was single. I've been married for 15 years and am still pretty liberal...

October 24, 2012 at 15:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ari

obviously your ladyparts are broken. consult a licensed physician and ask to be tested for hormonal imbalances.

October 24, 2012 at 15:36 | Report abuse |
  31. kebkeb

Yes...and I hear that a hidden, secret part of Obamacare is to get all little girls on birth control as young as possible so the government can control their periods so they're all ovulating at election time every 4 years. You idiots – I could manipulate the same data to conclude that conservative women tend to choose a traditional family life and liberal women are more likely to choose a modern single lifestyle. Tell me, is it possible, just POSSIBLE, that women vote for who they think will make the best President? I cannot even believe that CNN published this bunk. This is no different than giving free air time to the Westboro Church people who protest soldiers' funerals. CNN has become the National Inquirer of cable TV!

October 24, 2012 at 15:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Gabby

I know for sure not too many men vote...so maybe a little hormonal issues would be good for men!..so they get their ass up and vote!

October 24, 2012 at 15:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Donna McIntosh

Please tell me, for the love of all humanity, why this is news. Really. how insulting to even put this piece of garbage on the website. There should be a companion story line that explains how testosterone affects men and their voting. I am about at the edge here with the woman bashing that is happening across this country. We have nuts out there defining rape, women'd contraception choices, and now women are portrayed as possibly emotionally voting? This is obscene.

October 24, 2012 at 15:38 | Report abuse | Reply

@Donna MacInTosh

relax. you seem emotional

October 24, 2012 at 15:40 | Report abuse |
  34. sarge

Ook, ook, ack!

October 24, 2012 at 15:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Daremonai

I am very skeptical about this.... esp in light of other research that looked into voters who actually do change their voting preferences and found them to be a pretty tiny minority, something like 5% (and most of them because they had very busy lives)... thus 95% of women do not change their political affiliation over time in the first place.

October 24, 2012 at 15:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Sunflower

This is so grossly insulting!!! the more is see on CNN the more I realize how out of touch men are.

October 24, 2012 at 15:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • madjerry

"Post by: Elizabeth Landau – CNN.com Health Writer/Producer"

Because a man wrote the article... :rollseyes:

October 24, 2012 at 15:57 | Report abuse |
  37. BJean

This type of nonsense is what they have always used to keep women out of government....."they can't be trusted when their hormones are jumping". Women now outnumber men in the US........why do we not have 50% representation in Congress, the Supreme Court, a woman President? Cnn should be ashamed to have even printed such an article- especially in the way it is presented.

October 24, 2012 at 15:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. freedom

Absolutely not. But if they did – Romney/Ryan all the way!

October 24, 2012 at 15:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Amy

I am a single woman, and committed – to my principles. Hormones have NOTHING to do with my voting decision, which has been decided since Obama won in 2008. To suggest that women are hormone-driven voters is an insult, at best. This is why I am sticking with Fox from now on!

October 24, 2012 at 15:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Dana

Excuse me? Why are women portrayed (by another woman, what irony) as feeble creatures who make decisions one day before election, or worse, on the election day based on their cycle? It's offensive, big time.

October 24, 2012 at 15:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Holly

No, hormones don't affect my vote. My brain does, though. The same can't be said of a man. His brain is controlled by his penis. Where's the study for that?

October 24, 2012 at 15:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • guna

the hypocrisy is strong with this one

October 24, 2012 at 15:47 | Report abuse |
    • Jack

The penis is a tad more consequent in its decisions.

October 25, 2012 at 11:13 | Report abuse |
  42. Laurie

To even suggest this nonsense is condescending to women.

October 24, 2012 at 15:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. flabbergasted

They have the causal relationship confused. Single women are more likely to vote for Obama during ovulation is why they are single. Irrational behavior says to guys...run for your life.

October 24, 2012 at 15:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. dasea

everyone knows when you are selecting between two shill candidates in a fixed election you should be like a man and think long and hard about the future of the unavoidable corporate trainwreck USA.

October 24, 2012 at 15:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Todd Akin

A woman's hormones has ways of shutting that legitimate voting thing down.

October 24, 2012 at 15:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Tried of the Oppression

This is just another attempt at republic driven media sources to oppress the modern woman. KNOCK KNOCK...the white conservative male is on the list of nearly extinct species.

Women are tired of being belittled by your crackpot "NON"-scientific polls. Try some real statistics on women like the number of executive jobs we hold or the percentage of women completing college degrees and it takes more than hormones to gain those achievements.

October 24, 2012 at 15:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. demonlit

Across the board women vote for the candiate that they think has the biggest package, thats why Clinton got elected twice and why Gore didn´t bother running the second time around. The worst part about this article, aside from the fact that it was published, is the realization that this study was conducted by a woman. Did she go to university?? Couldn´t come up with a more scientific justification than ¨because they feel sexy¨? If this garbage were written by a man it wouldn´t have been published, and CNN, just because it happened to be written by a woman doesn´t make it okay to print.

October 24, 2012 at 15:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. MichaelEdits

There's no reason to think there's a causal relationship (no pun intended) here.

October 24, 2012 at 15:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. dasea

"I hereby select a cup of spooge as my vice president" – a good politician

October 24, 2012 at 15:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Lila

Ridiculous. I've been a registered Dem my entire adult life, from being single to happily married. It's always about the issues.

October 24, 2012 at 15:51 | Report abuse | Reply