home
RSS
Your thoughts: Vote for the issues, not parties
GOP nominee Mitt Romney makes a statement soon after the Supreme Court's ruling on Obamacare.
October 8th, 2012

Your thoughts: Vote for the issues, not parties

Editor's note: This post is part of the Overheard on CNN.com series, a regular feature that examines interesting comments and thought-provoking conversations posted by the community.

Some Republicans are torn between party loyalty and the benefits they receive from Obamacare, as Elizabeth Cohen reports in her latest story. The piece on voting for/against the Affordable Care Act prompted many comments on party ideology in the United States and whether health care is really the only issue up for debate among conservatives.

The most popular comment on the story as of Monday morning was from reader Rawpups:

Sadly, Republicans have been voting against their own self-interest for years. Time to wake up, folks - a vote for Romney is a vote against the lower and middle classes.

But Drake666 was quick to disagree:

So, sadly, is a vote for Obama. The greatest threat to the middle class is the healthcare cost ... While ACA has some good and necessary sections, it fails to address the real threat to the country and makes the situation worse for everyone.

A few commenters compared voting along party lines to supporting a favorite sports team:

TheHoLYTOAST
This is exactly what's wrong with this country, Obama has done something life changing for some people, and they might not vote for him simply because of his party affiliation. It's time to start actually looking at the issues and voting with your brain, not just blindly voting for your "team."

SymbianBond
My brother-in-law is a die-hard Falcons fan. Win, lose or draw, he's with them. While an admirable trait in sports, in politics not so much. Loyalty is good, blind loyalty (outside of sports) can be downright dangerous.

Many feel that the Republican Party has changed over the decades - and that those who used to support it should take a closer look.

SilverYacht
I wish we could reform the Republican Party. I'm a conservative, but I'm an atheist, pro-choice, and pro-environment. Very pro-gun and pro-business. ... But now I have to choose between Obama and Romney? I don't think so.

GrantSeattle
Longtime Republicans are "torn" over much more than "Obamacare" - they are torn over the extreme right-wing takeover of their Party and the fact that its positions are unrecognizable to longtime supporters. Let’s not think for one minute that "Obamacare" is the "only" or driving reason for such despair and mutiny.

Sean Crees
I have always considered myself right leaning, but according to the GOP nowadays, I'm a liberal socialist. The right has gone WAY too far right, and it's scary.

LouisvilleTe
I have voted Republican since Richard Nixon, but that is over. Insuring pre-existing medical conditions is one of the primary reasons. Once you get to that point you realize the Republican Party is no longer what they were, no matter what they say.

A common theme in many of the posts was one urging voters to decide based on the issues instead of a particular candidate or party:

FiveLiters
If people would focus on what REALLY does have a tangible effect on their lives and not stuff that they just disagree with morally, 3/4 of the country's problems could be resolved.

AllBreed
It is not a wasted vote. Voting for the third largest political party in this country sends a message to the top two. They aren't doing their jobs well and WE THE PEOPLE know it.

A strong section of commenters know for sure who they're voting for in the upcoming election:

Bekah Hernandez Gerber
My older parents vote Republican... They also know that they're older, with jobs at corporations cutting employees by the sack, and they both have diabetes and heart conditions. Without insurance, I'd wager they're dead in five years or less. But they'll vote Republican.

Jamesr1976
I vote for the best qualified and candidate that more closely shares my beliefs and represents my interests. But the most important thing for me is who is best for the country. Romney is the better man and leader.

Chainsaw82
Obamacare benefits everyone. I am a former Republican voting for Obama because he finally did what Democrat & Republican presidents have been promising for decades. It's a mess and it still needs some tweaking, but it's a huge improvement over what we had before.

Libertyislife
I've lived a long time in this nation, 75 years, and have seen many presidents and how they govern this nation. My comment is go ahead and vote for Obama; that is your right. When things go very south if he is reelected, shut your mouth...you got what you asked for. A nation in deep deep debt, one without a soul and God and one that you have ruined for your grandchildren and their children.

1. Mike Mindel, Zionsville, IN

I am a registered Republican, only because in the GOP dominated county I live in, local elections are determined in the primary. I have never voted a straight ticket, in the coming election I will be voting for Green and Libertarian Party candidates as well as democratic and GOP candidates. The extreme right wing domination of the primaries has ensured that I will vote for no GOP candidate for legislature, neither national nor state. Obamacare is flawed but better than the void it replaced. It took 90 years to get Obamacare passed, "repeal then replace" really means repeal tthen fight for decades over the replacement. Obama has failed at leadershio, but Romney is clueless about the lives of the majority of us; I don't consider my vote for Stein or Johnson wasted..

October 8, 2012 at 14:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. larry5

Obama talked about issues during his first Presidential campaign. But he got elected and that was the end of his interest in addressing any of the issues he talked about. Is there any reason he won't repeat this time around? Obama can say anything he wants or should I say he will say anything to get elected. So, with Obama what good is it to evaluate him on what he says about issues. The only way to evaluate him is to look at what he's done in office.

October 8, 2012 at 15:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Julie B.

STOP domestic terrorism against Medical Marijuana Patients. STOP Obama's policy of Hate...!

October 8, 2012 at 17:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Chalupa

Liberals vote democrat, moderate vote issues, conservatives vote republican, libertarian.

October 8, 2012 at 18:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Pat

I agree with Mike M. I used to be a Republican than changed during the lesser Bush's second term to become a independent. I used to vote for someone I liked, regardless of party, now I vote for who I dislike the least. In other words I vote against someone, not for someone, or party.
    We need a president who will be a advocate for this country and its people, all of us, globally or domestically. Not someone who is only interested in supporting thier own party. It used to be about doing the right thing because its the right thing to do, now its only if you can make yourself or party look good or the other guy bad. Reagan was like that, so was the senior Bush, both did something unpopular with thier party because it was the right thing to do. Not anymore.

October 8, 2012 at 18:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. A Southern Lady - North Carolina

Two good men are running for president. As an Independent, I listen to both candidates and to many of those who support them. As I listened to Gov. Romney during the Republican debates, he embraced the ideas of the Tea Party and the far right wing of the R's who have taken over the once-proud Republican party. Now that he is the Republican candidate, he has changed his thinking completely on just about every position. i could hardly believe what he was saying in the first presidential debate. I hear him beating the war drums just as Bush did. I fear if Romney is elected, within six months we will be at war with either Syria or Iran. Did we learn nothing when Bush took us into Iraq? Peace will never come to the Middle East by military force. Along with our allies, we must strive for a negotiated peace . I prefer the intelligent, thoughtful and study hand of President Obama. With him lies the future of this country.

October 8, 2012 at 23:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • A Northern Man - New York

You're an idiot.

October 9, 2012 at 00:28 | Report abuse |
    • L

I agree with Northern Man!

October 16, 2012 at 13:03 | Report abuse |
    • Alquimia

Southern Lady: I am in 100% agreement with you; and as you can see from the 2 posts above, many of the people who will vote for Romney have no substance and can only defend their position being irrelevant , shallow and offensive.

October 21, 2012 at 00:18 | Report abuse |
  7. Max

Want to vote the issues instead of the party? See

to learn which candidate matches your views, no matter what they are.

October 9, 2012 at 04:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. fiftyfive55

Issues are what I use to decide who to vote for ,as well as,the party's history and actions involving the good of the AMERICAN PEOPLE and I can only guess at what's good for the rest of the world but mainly I care about America's future and not the rest of the world.They have their own leaders.

October 9, 2012 at 07:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. HJA

Romney was obviously told during debate prep his message was failing. In the debate he did a total about face and said the opposite of all he had said over the last year and a half. Sad thing is a lot of people have CRS and believed him. I don't. The Repubs will say anything to get elected but if they are elected the gloves will come off. Back to the old days. Deregulate and give big business a free hand to grab as much cash as possible any way possible.

And @NorthernMan
    You are one of the reasons I will never vote Repub again. With people like you in the party intelligence is an option, no brain needed. You fit in perfectly.

October 9, 2012 at 08:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • A Northern Man - New York

It's obvious that intelligence is not an option for democrats... only ignorance and foolish thinking in the communist mind.

October 9, 2012 at 11:41 | Report abuse |
    • rosethornne

Flippity floppity

When there's that much thrashing around going on in public, you know there's no good going on behind closed doors.

The real romney is the one we saw on clandestine tapes when he thought he was 'alone' with his rich peers. Since he never gives a thought to the servant class (you know, the ones lower than middle class, which of course means having income less than 200,000 a year according to his lordship), he thought he and his buddies were 'alone'.

Too bad for him that aloneness meant there were other people present. But good for us since we needed to know what he really thinks.

October 9, 2012 at 12:55 | Report abuse |
  10. John B

No kidding, vote for the issues not the party? What a brilliant concept. Bottom line is vote for what you think will happen if a certain candidate or majority of candidates get elected. Ignore the media spin on things as they add NO value to the information. Evaluate on what you think will happen not what the candidates are saying in their campaign. Commen sense will help you weed through the garbage and make a sound decision based on your personal opinion. In any event, VOTE!!!

October 9, 2012 at 09:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. D Firestone

One can only wonder what will happen when either candidate is elected. I feel we should look at the Senate and House. They seem to be the ones to determine how things will go. No matter what the "President" says or or supports, the two determiners will decide. The Repubs. stymie any bill the Dems. put out, then the Dems stymie anything the Repubs put out. We need to start with the voting group to tell what will be best for the country, your state, your community, and your family. Seems we can't get the best guy in office for us "regular folks". I've been a supporter of the Dems my whole life, but now at 60+, I just want the guy who will do what's right!

October 9, 2012 at 12:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • lookbothweis

Too true. Our options are far too limited for this to be a "real" democratic republic. Typically the only ones seeking power are the ones looking to take advantage of it.

October 9, 2012 at 14:41 | Report abuse |
  12. Pharoahblack

I find it rather amazing that 8 years ago our natural borders were breached, on W's watch....we were attacked in our own territory and thousands of innocent people died. How is W looked at even after negative rhetoric, a hero and he's re-elected. He leaves the white house with this countries finances in shambles and Bin Laden still on the run. The housing market was jacked up, not propped up, and wall street fat cats got away with raping America. President Obama comes to office, captures the Top Dawg takes him and his lieutenants out, shores up the economy, and makes a noble attempt to keep a bunch of people trying to keep up with the Jones's off the street and because of some jerk, a criminal with a bank account, cameras and a little tech stirs up those knuckleheads in the middle east and The president is all of a sudden weak? Jobs were replaced that were lost, but because people don't read or know the issues and dynamics of politics they're looking for a quick fix in Mitt Romney. Wake up America, please don't judge President Obama by that so called failed debate that you feel was a lost opportunity. We've known this president for 4 years and if you dig deep and stop buying into the medias rhetoric and the Republican oppositions lies and simply look at the numbers and the facts you'll know who to vote for. The Middle East fiasco is didn't happen because they feel our president is weak. It happened because the promotion of the film served it's purpose and could've happened to any .seating president at any time. Our embassies are always under threat regardless of any security measures that we put I place. Our ambassadors are in the heart of these countries and unforunately the job is dangerous. No amount of security matters if extremists wish to destroy these embassies. As far as I'm conerned the greatest security breach was on 9/11 when our glorious W dropped the ball and we lost thousands of lives not just 4 in which were lost thousands of miles away in foreign territory. Lets be realistic because we tend to emotionalize rather than rationalize.

October 9, 2012 at 14:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Timmy Suckle

I kissed my way up to VP at a health insurance company. Now I take over $500,000 of your health care dollars for NO VALUE ADDED to your health care. And that’s just me. Now think about how many other VPs, Directors, Managers, etc. are at my company alone. Now multiply that by thousands of others at hundreds of other health insurance companies. From 10 to 25% of your health care dollars go towards administration that adds NO VALUE to your health care. But my company’s PAC dollars will continue to fool you little people into thinking that a single payer system will be bad. Little people like you are so easy to fool. Little people also don’t realize that a single payer system is the ONLY system that would allow little people (as an entire country) to negotiate better health care prices. Little people don’t realize that the Medical Cartels already know that. And that is the reason why the Medical Cartels spend so much PAC money from the hospitals and doctors lobbying against a single payer system. Some little people say that a single payer system would cost you little people more. But if that were true, then wouldn’t the hospitals and doctors WANT that extra money? Yes they would. So why do the Medical Cartels lobby against a single payer system? It’s because the Medical Cartels know it would allow little people to negotiate better health care prices. And that’s what the Medical Cartels are afraid of. Period.
    But us big wigs at insurance companies, hospitals, and pharmacy companies don’t ever need to worry about health care no matter what it costs. We get our health care paid for one way or another by you little people. And we get the little people that work at our companies to contribute to our PACs. And us big wigs say it’s to protect the little peoples’ jobs. But in reality it would be in the little peoples’ best interest to NOT contribute to the PAC. Again, little people are so easy to be fooled. I won’t ever have to worry about losing my job with so many little people being brain washed by the Medical Cartels’ PAC money. Not only that, the Medical Cartels’ PAC money is used to elect so many republicans that will never allow a single payer system. Republicans have always fought against any meaningful health care reform. But that’s what our Medical Cartels’ PACs pay them for. Politicians can be bought so easily.
    Pretty soon the only people that will be able to afford health care is us big wigs. And that’s the way it should be. We don’t want you little people using up the resources when we need them. And once again, I thank you little people for capping my SS tax at the $106,800 level. Now I only pay 1.3% SS tax and you little people pay 6.2%. Also, thank you for extending my tax breaks. I’m using the extra money on my vacation houses.

October 9, 2012 at 16:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Funkby

Just vote for Gary Johnson if you don't like either of those monkeys, no pun intended on Mr. Obama there.

October 9, 2012 at 21:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. just saying

This is not about Obama or Romney. This is about the health of Americans or lack of. We are dying from diseases that can be prevented by lifestyle choices. The tone set should be more about health promotion. Its going to take education and awareness to stop the trendy FAST food. In addition to our coping mechanism we are quick to self medicate with comfort foods and substance abuse. If we stop the bad habits we wont need a national plan of health. Drug companies have made enough.

October 13, 2012 at 08:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. lpalmer

I AM HAPPY FOR THE PRE-EXISTING DISEASE . FRO THOSE OF YOU WHO RUNNING AROUND THINKING ITS GOING TO BE FREE IT IS GOING TO BE SO COSTLY THAT THOSE PROVISION WILL BE USELESS BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PAY FOR IT. THERE IS NOTHING FREE IN THIS WORLD

October 20, 2012 at 08:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. RandyKC

I'm socially progressive, fiscally conservative. According to today's Republican party I'm considered a liberal. I'm amazed how the party has changed. I blame the polarizing influence of Rush and Rush-want-to-bes.

October 20, 2012 at 17:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Alquimia

Seriously, people.!! How can you trust a candidate who changes his position every other week.!!
    I bet Romney is planning on bringing all the crazy tea-party people to work with him. May God protect the US of America if Romney wins the election.

October 21, 2012 at 00:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. mc

You may vote for the person, but you will get the party.

October 21, 2012 at 22:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. mc

The extreme right wing dominates the R party. . May God protect the US of America if Romney wins the election.

October 21, 2012 at 22:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. A Reasoner

Since the party now runs the candidate, I won't vote for the Republican party until there is one again.

October 23, 2012 at 14:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. hmulford@yahoo.com

I am voting for the issues. As a former Republican, I'm voting for Obama!

October 23, 2012 at 14:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. click

I just like the helpful information you supply on your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and check once more here frequently. I am relatively sure I'll learn lots of new stuff right right here! Good luck for the following!

November 6, 2012 at 05:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Kaye

I like your writing style really enjoying this web site. "America is a mistake, a giant mistake." by Sigmund Freud. Kaye http://naktefrauen.tumblr.com

February 12, 2013 at 00:52 | Report abuse | Reply