home
RSS
Peanut, nut butter recall expanded
October 5th, 2012

Peanut, nut butter recall expanded

If you were checking the peanut butter in your pantry after a large recall was announced a couple of weeks ago, you may want to take another peek. More products are being recalled.

On September 24, Sunland, Inc. recalled all products manufactured at their Portales, New Mexico, processing plant with a "best if used by" date between May 1, 2012, and September 24, 2012. Now all products made at this peanut butter and nut manufacturing facility going back as far as March 2010 and September 24, when the plant was shut, are being recalled.

The CDC is reporting that the number of people sickened by these products has risen to 35, up from 30 last week.

According to a FDA statement, the expanded recall "covers all previously identified Peanut Butter, Almond Butter, Cashew Butter, and Tahini products as well as Roasted Blanched Peanut Products. Several varieties of flavored butters and spreads, including Thai Ginger Butter, Chocolate Butter and Banana Butter, are also being included in this expanded recall."

Health officials in Washington state have traced the same strain of salmonella that sickened 35 people nationwide to an open jar of Trader Joe’s Valencia Creamy Peanut Butter collected from the home of one of the people infected. This firmly establishes a link between a specific Sunland product and this salmonella outbreak, something the company spokeswoman Katalin Coburn said hadn't been established by last week.

FDA inspectors have also found salmonella on surfaces at the Sunland processing plant, although further testing is required to confirm if it's the same strain of Salmonella, called Bredeney, that has infected nearly three dozen people in 19 states and has led to eight hospitalizations so far.

Coburn tells CNN that Sunland is complying with all FDA recommendations and that the plant is "under a complete clean-up procedure."

"We hope to be up and running as soon as we get the all-clear," she added.

In addition to 101 products already recalled since September 24, 49 more products whose "best if used by” dates have not yet expired and 90 types of Sunland products which may have gone past their “best if used by” may still be in people's homes.

Consumers are being urged to dispose of any remaining jars of Sunland, Inc., products in the home or return them to the place of purchase.

A full list of all voluntarily recalled products can be found here. Consumers can also contact Sunland by calling 1-866-837-1018 for more information on the recall.

1. cloudy in alaska

Not a big peanut butter fan so nothing to worry about here.

October 5, 2012 at 14:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joe

Great, thanks for the update on your food likes. I'm sure everyone will sleep better knowing you're not in danger.

October 5, 2012 at 14:33 | Report abuse |
    • newdouglitas

@Joe Funniest thing I've read all day, thanks for the laugh!

October 5, 2012 at 14:50 | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Joe, can't believe you took the time to reply to this nut.

October 5, 2012 at 16:06 | Report abuse |
    • Hugh Jass

I had jello today

October 5, 2012 at 16:10 | Report abuse |
    • rain in alaska

Dave, what's up with the name calling, would't you're reply to joe be kind of like his reply to me ? DOLT!

October 5, 2012 at 16:27 | Report abuse |
    • lroy

The only brand I buy is Skippy (smooth). And the jar I have was made over a year ago...good until 2013.

October 5, 2012 at 17:10 | Report abuse |
    • chilipeppr111

October 5, 2012 at 19:50 | Report abuse |
    • SixDegrees

"WOW! Wouldn't it be GREAT if our tax dollars went to pay a highly specialized, well-funded, non-corruptible agency to provide regular oversight, inspection, and management of food processing centers? It would reduce the ever-rising number of tainted foodborne illness all across America! All we have now is the USDA and the FDA, and both appear to me to have been bought out by the Corporatocracy, when I conduct research into their staffing and performance histories."

Hmmm. So you think there's something wrong with an agency that can detect 30 cases of illness spread across an entire continent and millions of patients, determine the precise source and cause of the illness and take regulatory action, all within a matter of days, is somehow at issue?

October 6, 2012 at 07:42 | Report abuse |
    • Leif

Dave, I can't beleive that I took the time to reply to your reply to Joe's reply to this nut.

October 7, 2012 at 06:05 | Report abuse |
    • Leif

My name is nut butter...peanut nut butter.

October 7, 2012 at 06:08 | Report abuse |
    • salnaligr

My friends told me about HotBlackwhite. C.0.Mtold It’s the best place to meet black white singles. Come in and stay a while. Complete your profile. Post a message, a picture of yourself and check out the photo galleries. Give it a try, you will find someone you like there... ;)

October 16, 2012 at 23:05 | Report abuse |
    • Charlie

Yeah- its all about you, right? Self absorbed POS.

October 24, 2012 at 15:26 | Report abuse |
  2. lol

Choosy moms choose Jif

October 5, 2012 at 14:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LOL

Seriously...it really is the Jiffiest.

October 5, 2012 at 15:44 | Report abuse |
    • Hugh Jass

What do jiffy moms choose?

October 5, 2012 at 16:09 | Report abuse |
    • Bazoing

Not really all peanuts, lots of sweet gunk.

October 6, 2012 at 01:03 | Report abuse |
  3. bobbyroars

cool story bro

October 5, 2012 at 14:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hugh Jass

4chan is over that way, sonny. (points)

October 5, 2012 at 16:09 | Report abuse |
  4. miketofdal

they'll change ownership, change names and re-open as a new business...all the while continuing to run their business in a way that shows consumer health is not their concern. this is what big business is like...and why more regulation of these goons is needed.

October 5, 2012 at 14:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • relmfoxdale

Yeah, we need someone to regulate the food we eat! ... Oh wait...isn't that what the Food and Drug Administration is for?

October 5, 2012 at 15:22 | Report abuse |
    • Hugh Jass

"this is what big business is like" When this happened to Peter Pan©, they had a leaky roof that kept getting the raw peanuts moldy. They closed the plant and remodeled, making the peanut butter in another state, and then reopened in a new and cleaner plant. Not everyone fits your stereotypes, and cleanliness is the rule rather than the exception in food manufacturing.

October 5, 2012 at 16:08 | Report abuse |
    • peick

let's outlaw all corporations and also make it illegal to profit from selling anything. that would be great for the economy and human progress.

October 7, 2012 at 10:31 | Report abuse |
  5. Deez

Sometimes government is a good thing... the FDA, for example.

October 5, 2012 at 14:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • DAT

You must be one of those RINOs I've heard about.

October 5, 2012 at 15:58 | Report abuse |
    • Hugh Jass

"Sometimes government is a good thing... the FDA, for example." Ron Paul says the free market will take care of this because there is no market for tainted peanut butter and therefore no one will buy it, so who needs an FDA? Yet another reason not to vote for that crank.

October 5, 2012 at 16:02 | Report abuse |
  6. PBJ

Its peanut butter jelly time, peanut butter jelly time, peanut butter jelly time,

Whayee, Whayee, Whayee Whayee

Now there you go, there you go, there you go, there you go

peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly

October 5, 2012 at 14:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nancy

Thanks.....now I got that song in my head.....lol

October 5, 2012 at 15:22 | Report abuse |
    • KJM

now break it down and freeze!

October 5, 2012 at 15:36 | Report abuse |
    • ha ha ha

Peanut butter jelly, Peanut butter jelly, Peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat.

October 24, 2012 at 17:15 | Report abuse |
  7. tonybalogna

peanut, nut butter....not to be mistaken with DUCK BUTTER

October 5, 2012 at 15:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • KJM

Duck butter?

October 5, 2012 at 15:35 | Report abuse |
    • Kicked in the Butter

Duck Butter on the geef is the worst.

October 5, 2012 at 17:02 | Report abuse |
  8. Kevin

Maybe people are getting sick because it's OLD. It is October last time I checked

October 5, 2012 at 15:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Nancy

I checked my peanut butter, and all I saw was the middle part was missing....I'll ask my husband what that's all about.....

October 5, 2012 at 15:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JA

BAHAHAHA!

October 5, 2012 at 15:57 | Report abuse |
    • lroy

My cousin's son is very allergic to any kind of nut. Who among you likes to eat peanut butter out of the jar (the truth now). As for the rest of you, the squirrels are looking for you.

October 5, 2012 at 17:12 | Report abuse |
    • Galaxy Prime

Nancy – maybe your husband felt there wasn't enough nut in the peanut butter.

October 5, 2012 at 19:38 | Report abuse |
  10. KJM

Honestly, I didn't mind when people told me there was rat poo in peanut butter. That's just like telling people there's pig anus in bologna. It's still yummy and cheap. Sometimes you look passed those things.... but I dont get why I can eat five-day-old VERY questionable chicken and not get sick. But others eat spinach or peanut butter once and die! Guess that just makes me awesome.....or disgusting lol

October 5, 2012 at 15:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Salmonella Canteloupe

Eat me.

October 5, 2012 at 16:05 | Report abuse |
    • KJM

I think I'll stick to pig anus lol

October 5, 2012 at 16:33 | Report abuse |
  11. Er

I blame Obama for this.

October 5, 2012 at 15:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • KJM

of course you do

October 5, 2012 at 15:40 | Report abuse |
    • lroy

No, blame Jimmy Carter. After all, his family is/was in peanuts. Wait, let's just blame it on ALL Democrats. There is a reason why the icon for Democrat is a seven letter word for donkey.

October 5, 2012 at 17:14 | Report abuse |
  12. tdsd

Thank goodness, my China peanut butter is safe.

October 5, 2012 at 15:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sdtd

Um....put some Chinese honey on it. Yummy

October 5, 2012 at 16:49 | Report abuse |
  13. Salmonella Canteloupe

Die, humans, die. We vegetables will get you all in the end.

October 5, 2012 at 16:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. pw1121

Oh c'mon now! How can you be angry with a nice smiley peanut guy with oversized 80's glasses and giving the peace sign?

October 5, 2012 at 16:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • KJM

He looks like he's ready to party.

October 5, 2012 at 16:38 | Report abuse |
    • angie

Those are 1920's glases

October 5, 2012 at 20:39 | Report abuse |
  15. The Pope

Does it count if you rub it all over yourself???????????

October 5, 2012 at 17:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. The Ghost of John Holmes

My nut butter has never been tainted.

October 5, 2012 at 17:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cpc65

So, what did you die from, Mr. Holmes?

October 7, 2012 at 08:24 | Report abuse |
  17. BlueK

Thank goodness I only eat hardly-natural and over-processed Jif! I only need to worry about the stray rat hair. Adds flavor!

October 5, 2012 at 17:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • BlueK

Actually...sometimes I eat Skippy, too! I like the colors of the jars. THAT is how you pick peanut butter!!

October 5, 2012 at 17:35 | Report abuse |
  18. Really?

You people have WAY too much time on your hands.

October 5, 2012 at 17:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • The Ghost of John Holmes

I have way too much something on my hands. It's sticky but it's not peanut butter.

October 5, 2012 at 18:21 | Report abuse |
    • The Ghost of John Holmes

I think it's taint butter because I like to examine it frequently.

October 5, 2012 at 18:26 | Report abuse |
  19. Wows

I've donated all my recalled butter to the food shelf. it pains me too much to just throw it away.

October 5, 2012 at 18:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bazoing

Make the seller take it back!

October 6, 2012 at 01:38 | Report abuse |
  20. bfire

It's Obama's fault! Why not everything else is Obama's fault. Vote for Romney if you want safe peanut butter!

October 5, 2012 at 19:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. dotheflippin'math

Hmmm, I wonder if I can still find some on the shelves. I'll put it all the mousetraps that the mice keep stealing the bait from without getting caught. That'll serve 'em right! : D

October 5, 2012 at 19:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Maria

I dnt think much of that company. And thanks for the heads up on the peanut butter recall.

October 5, 2012 at 20:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. MASTER INFORMER of all the LESS-INFORMED

Salmonella /ˌsælməˈnɛlə/ is a genus of rod-shaped, Gram-negative, non-spore-forming, predominantly motile enterobacteria with diameters around 0.7 to 1.5 µm, lengths from 2 to 5 µm, and flagella that grade in all directions (i.e., peritrichous). They are chemoorganotrophs, obtaining their energy from oxidation and reduction reactions using organic sources, and are facultative anaerobes. Most species produce hydrogen sulfide,[1] which can readily be detected by growing them on media containing ferrous sulfate, such as TSI. Most isolates exist in two phases: a motile phase I and a nonmotile phase II. Cultures that are nonmotile upon primary culture may be switched to the motile phase using a Cragie tube.[citation needed]
    Salmonella is closely related to the Escherichia genus and are found worldwide in cold- and warm-blooded animals (including humans), and in the environment. They cause illnesses such as typhoid fever, paratyphoid fever, and foodborne illness.[2]

October 5, 2012 at 21:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Mr.ChefMan

I only eat SKIPPY'S!!!!!!! ANyone who eats anyother brand DESERVEs to DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 5, 2012 at 22:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bazoing

Why not sweeten your own peanut butter with jam rather than paying peanut prices for cheap corn syrup.

October 6, 2012 at 01:08 | Report abuse |
  25. MASTER INFORMER of all the LESS-INFORMED

Consumers who have purchased Sunland's Almond Butter, Peanut Butter, Cashew Butter, Tahini
    and Roasted Blanched peanut products with the above UPC and Best-If-Used-By-Dates are
    urged to discard the product immediately. Consumers can contact the company at 1-866-837-
    1018, which is operational 24 hours a day, for information on the recall. In addition, a consumer
    services representative is available Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 AM and
    5:00 PM MT at (575) 356-6638.
    Media representatives should contact Ms. Katalin Coburn, Vice President for Media Relations,
    Sunland, Inc., at 805-796-3368.

October 5, 2012 at 22:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. The Omnipotent Poobah Speaks!

Bow now at my superior feets and give massage!!!!

October 5, 2012 at 22:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Skippy

HEY! You got peanut butter on my chocolate.....NO! You got chocolate on my peanut butter!

October 5, 2012 at 23:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Maria

I am glad that we dnt have any peanut butter at the moment

October 6, 2012 at 00:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. mahern

Thanks to the reporters and the person who put the link to the full list into the story. Turns out I had one of the recall items. Yikes!! Out it goes.....

October 6, 2012 at 00:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. moe

whats worse, the farmer cutting out the process of properly cleaning their product for consumers or the tax funded government department that is supposed to protect the consumer, allowing the process to continue???? Have you noticed how many cases of outbreaks of unclean food/produce in the last 3 to 5 years. how many more sick or deaths will it take. I realize the down turn of the econamy has hit the farmer hard but it's effects are felt everywhere and everyone. At least start washing all raw produce from the market.

October 6, 2012 at 00:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bazoing

The contamination may have occurred at the processing plant.

October 6, 2012 at 00:58 | Report abuse |
  31. Bazoing

Peanut butter was, until recently a staple for the poor. However, speculators pushed its price out of sight because of a slight yield dip and it is unlikely to come down. The result is that the product is only used by the wealthy and by people who do not budget their food stamps. However, most brands, including Skippy, are filled with corn syrup. So, there are two products, healthy peanut butter and the more common sugary stuff with peanut butter added. The latter should not be available for food stamps. I am certain you cannot by chocolate candies with food stamps. Why can you buy this sweet glop with them?

October 6, 2012 at 00:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CP in FL

You certainly can buy chocolate with food stamps. I have seen it.

October 8, 2012 at 18:39 | Report abuse |
  32. Bazoing

No this particular food poisoning breaks out when workers do not wash their hands after restroom breaks. It is poo bacteria, and, old or new I do not want to eat it.

October 6, 2012 at 01:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bazoing

Sorry, it could be from rats in their storage bins.

October 6, 2012 at 01:33 | Report abuse |
  33. Geoff

Penguins don't eat peanut butter. But they do eat jelly.

October 6, 2012 at 01:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Mike

Have doctors also looked at the physical traits of the patients? 35 people out of 300 million doesn't seem to be sufficient to waste so much food and impact everyone else. This is orders of magnitude lower than 1% of he population, even if you don't assume that 100% of the population eats peanut butter (which many don't or can't). People get tummy aches everyday. If our society continues to become completely reliant on sterile food and water, and lets our immune systems become so weak, then we are in big trouble.

October 6, 2012 at 03:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. jkegor

Has anyone considered terrorists poisoning our food systems. Seems like an awful lot of recalls lately.

October 7, 2012 at 07:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Mastodonrocks

Lol! They said "nut butter".

October 7, 2012 at 12:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Despite your very best self attempts, anyone will eventually get some good kind of a zit. As opposed to taking this (this particular advances your bacteria along with natural skin oils from the blemish all around) attempt getting tooth paste into it. The

Hiya very cool web site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I'll bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally?I am glad to find a lot of useful info here within the publish, we'd like work out more techniques on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

October 7, 2012 at 18:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Will

FDA needs to investigate what's being added to peanut butter. I have two children that can't eat peanut butter because they have allergic reaction to it. But both can eat peanut with no reaction. Both can eat with butter, canola oil, vegetable oil and no problem.
    Something is getting added to peanut butter and making a lot of Americans allergic to it.

October 8, 2012 at 16:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. UNC Upstream

Check out our analysis here:

October 8, 2012 at 17:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Jim Stevenson

Full turnkey solutions available, start getting inquiries from US dentists this week. Prices are reasonable. Email me for details: brainstorm_enterprises@gmx.com

October 10, 2012 at 04:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Make Money Free Now!

Just want to say your article is as amazing. The clarity to your publish is simply nice and that i can assume you're knowledgeable in this subject. Fine together with your permission let me to take hold of your feed to stay up to date with drawing close post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please carry on the enjoyable work.

October 17, 2012 at 01:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Broderick Glore

The first thing required by the food stamp office is an application. Most counties have an online application process. The electronic application allows the process to get started the moment the application is submitted. Paper applications will be accepted, but the process will take longer than an electronic application. Most food stamp offices have computers available for applicants filling out electronic applications. Workers will be available on hand to answer any questions about the application you may have. :-

Have a nice day