home
RSS
Popcorn recalled due to possible Listeria contamination
October 2nd, 2012

Popcorn recalled due to possible Listeria contamination

Dale and Thomas Popcorn is voluntarily recalling bags of its flavored, ready-to-eat Indiana-brand products due to a possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination, according to the Food and Drug Administration.

Listeria monocytogenes is a bacterium that is pathogenic –- meaning that it is infectious to humans, causing the illness listeriosis. It is most dangerous to young children, the elderly, people with a weakened immune system and pregnant women. Listeria can cause a high fever, severe headaches, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea.

What you need to know about Listeria monocytogenes

The recalled popcorn bags were distributed after August 8 and have "best by" dates of February 4, 2013 to March 12, 2013, according to the FDA. Consumers can check specific UPC codes from this list.

Contaminated flavors include aged white cheddar, almond biscotti, American cheese, apple crisp, bacon ranch, black & white drizzle, caramel, caramel roasted peanuts, chocolate peanut butter, cinnamon sugar drizzle, dark fudge chocolate chip drizzle, kettlecorn, salt & pepper and wasabi reserve.

Learn more about food poisoning from CNN Health and Eatocracy.

Other resources:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Food and Drug Administration's Recalls, Market Withdrawals, & Safety Alerts
FDA Food Safety
FoodSafety.gov
United States Department of Agriculture Food Safety Education
IsItDoneYet.gov

1. Sugar Shame

This is a shame, a Sugar Shame.

October 2, 2012 at 13:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Bonnie

Crap I just downed a bag of the cinnamon sugar one. It was awsome Listeria & all.

October 2, 2012 at 13:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. eyetweaks

unbelievable no quality control on site? Bad popcorner bad... and NASTY...

October 2, 2012 at 13:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. michelle

Every day there seems to be a food recall over contamination. What country do we live in? Our food system is just plain NASTY!

October 2, 2012 at 13:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SixDegrees

Uh – nonsense. We're really, really good at detecting contamination even in tiny amounts and with only handfuls of people affected across an entire continent. Bacteria are everywhere – absolutely everywhere – and recalls indicate that the system is working as it should be. If there were no recalls, I'd be a lot more worried.

Wanna see a nasty food system – or rather, non-system? Visit just about any other country. One thing you might learn along the way: the lack of operating room sterility demanded by folks such as yourself is as ridiculous as it is pointless.

October 2, 2012 at 14:29 | Report abuse |
    • gutterboy

It's called the GOP and they believe in smaller government...even the FDA.

October 2, 2012 at 16:15 | Report abuse |
    • PaulC

Not to worry, Pres. Romneywill get rid of the pesky recall notices.
      FDA? We don't need no stinking FDA!

October 2, 2012 at 19:59 | Report abuse |
    • John

I agree with six. I lived in South America for two years and believe you me you do NOT want to know how unsafe the food and water is there. Additionally, when you consider how many millions of tons of food are shipped, packaged, produced, etc in this country in a day, the amount of food that is recalled is actually a really small percentage. The FDA and the USDA do a really good job of keeping our food supply safe. I'm not worried at all about this.

October 8, 2012 at 09:32 | Report abuse |
  5. bubba

just had a bag myself....mmmmmm

October 2, 2012 at 15:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. JenBear

The best part is that my mother's company just handed out a whole bunch of this stuff as a recognition/encouragement for hard work. We really "appreciate" you, we promise! Eat up! (They, of course sent out a memo to not eat it)

October 2, 2012 at 15:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • hiwaves

Popcorn as a reward or recognition for hard work ???? What country is your Mom's business in ?

October 2, 2012 at 17:39 | Report abuse |
  7. Hal Kleinman

It appears Listeria has gotten into every product imaginable this year. I handle food borne illness cases at my law firm and have been overwhelmed by the amount of products having issues in 2012.

I write a blog on food borne illness and prevention. If you are interested here is the link.

My Advocates

October 2, 2012 at 15:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Hal Kleinman

October 2, 2012 at 15:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Donnie the Lion

Safer food is achieved via more oversight, testing, and regulation. It costs money, but it is worth it. Some people feel the government over-regulates industries....I strongly disagree. Many problems have arisen due to under-regulation.

October 2, 2012 at 15:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Ed T Duck

I ate the dark fudge chocolate chip drizzle then my pants filled with dark fudge drizzle.

October 2, 2012 at 16:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Amber

I'm pregnant, and listeria is scary... so much for avoiding deli meat, seems like avoid every friggin thing.

October 2, 2012 at 16:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mmi16

Avoid everthing and you will die of starvation!

October 3, 2012 at 01:56 | Report abuse |
  12. us_1776

GMO, listeria, salmonella.

Just more from Big Food, Inc.

---–

Farmer's market here I come.

October 2, 2012 at 17:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

You compared GMO to listeria and salmonella?

October 2, 2012 at 22:38 | Report abuse |
    • SixDegrees

Uh – Listeria has been around for millions of years – it was one of the very first bacteria to be identified. And it lives in dirt. So your farmer's market will be brimming with it.

October 3, 2012 at 18:26 | Report abuse |
  13. cloudy in alaska

Eating popcorn is like eating styrofoam, I can't stand that squeaky sound when you eat it. The smell kills me also, popcorn is bad all around.

October 2, 2012 at 19:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • roofoo

Why have you been eating styrofoam?

October 3, 2012 at 15:24 | Report abuse |
  14. NanookoftheNorth

Try picking up some popcorn at Walmart...instead of eating those little while balls in packaging :-)
    (That was a good one though;-)
    NanookofAlaska

October 2, 2012 at 19:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. ilovepopcorn

I love their Indiana Movie Theater popcorn....so delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im eating popcorn right now!

October 2, 2012 at 19:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Ecass

dangit. I just bought a giant bag of the kettle corn too. i LOVE this stuff. Guess i will have to go back to making my own on the stove. Its just not as good!

October 2, 2012 at 20:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Parker

I would eat contaminated the wasabi reserve flavor from the sweaty under-gut of a a black woman named Listeria. It's that good.

October 2, 2012 at 20:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. tomhua

EBook sites http://www.znjnn.com

October 2, 2012 at 21:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Dpc

Wow. I have been eating this every day this week. I had a fever to 102 last night and vomiting/diarrhea. Down to 100 now. I almost never get headaches and have had a mild one all day...probably just from the fever and feeling lousy. I'm sure it was coincidence and probably a viral illness like gastro but doesn't make me feel any better.

October 2, 2012 at 22:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. WhatThe

What's all the Hysteria about Listeria? It's good to cleanse the colon once in a while. I have my porcelin Mobile Device and plenty of charmin.

October 3, 2012 at 12:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. TBIRD

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

October 3, 2012 at 17:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. ComeOnMan9

Holla back if you know about tumbling motility.

October 3, 2012 at 20:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Anna Barr

I stood there eating a bag of the Kettlecorn reading this article....

October 4, 2012 at 09:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Dan

Packaged popcorn is gmo corn. Buy all corn products organic. As for the FDA. Michael Taylor is an ex-Vp of Monsanto. The fox guarding the hen house. Approved by Obama, while his wife (diversion) talks about nutrition.

Out of order comes chaos.

October 5, 2012 at 06:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. drillteamer

what a pity, i love that brand. particularly the aged white cheddar.

October 6, 2012 at 19:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Rebecca

I have been sick for a month now. I first started with a fever and wanting to sleep. After getting up from sleeping I was still tired. I have a runny nose, cough, and itchy throat. Went to Dr. he said it was a virus, so I did not need medicine. My symptoms kind of went away for a week and now they are back with a vengeance. I have a runny nose with a stiff neck and my voice is coming and going. I went to doctor and he gave me meds. I wonder if its Listeria from the popcorn mentioned above? Does anyone know about the symptoms?

October 11, 2012 at 23:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Marci Tarka

my abdominal pains are usually caused by bloating and indigestion, i better control my diet.;

Our own web-site

January 5, 2013 at 00:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Aileen Sonza

Lower left abdominal pain is the most common area for abdominal pain. You will know how debilitating lower left abdominal pain can be – whether it is an acute episode or chronic condition. The effects of abdominal pain can be devastating not just for the person living with the problem, but also for their family, friends and carers. The simplest chores and activities from shopping to walking may become impossible. Constant physical pain can impact on an individual’s emotional well-being. People living with a chronic condition may become depressed, and in some cases driven to suicide to escape the pain!are totally unsuitable. They are too bulky, move out of position, compact and cause oreness.'

My blog