home
RSS
Suicides outpace car crashes as leading cause of deaths from injuries
The suicide rate increased 15% from 2000 to 2009, according to the report.
September 27th, 2012

Suicides outpace car crashes as leading cause of deaths from injuries

Thirteen-year-old Cade Poulos took his own life just as classes were about to begin Wednesday morning, according to CNN affiliate KJRH. The boy’s death in the crowded hallway of his Stillwater, Oklahoma, junior high school is a raw and recent example of suicide in America.

New research in the American Journal of Public Health reports suicides have surpassed car crashes as the nation’s leading cause of injury-related deaths.

The suicide rate increased 15% from 2000 to 2009, according to the report.

In that same period of time the rate of deadly car crashes dropped by 25%, as a wide array of traffic safety interventions were implemented. The down economy may also have kept more people off the road and out of harm’s way.

1. Chukwuemeka Nwosu

The world over is experiencing socio-economic upheavals that is causing kids and teens to think the unthinkable

September 27, 2012 at 15:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dawn

its more than kids and teens

September 28, 2012 at 10:51 | Report abuse |
    • Keith

the worst is yet to come.

September 29, 2012 at 04:32 | Report abuse |
    • Katherine

It's also a result of meaness. People have no real moral values anymore ... I'm not talking about the "Republican" sort of moral values which equals no values, at all.

People aren't encouraged to practice kindness and understanding. Television is probably the worst offender, teaching children to be mean and arrogant. Simply put, there is an increbible lack of sociallly redeeming values in today's sitcoms and brain-waste programs. I'm really thankful that I don't have to grow up in today's society and go into the schools. I would probably think about committing suicide, too.

September 30, 2012 at 15:46 | Report abuse |
    • George Cranston, suicide-to-be

It is not and never will be "unthinkable" for anyone to consider suicide as an actual option.
      It is very "thinkable" and very easy to desire a total and comprehensive end to one's personal suffering by considering suicide as an option.
      For example, I hate my life and this world so much that suicide is always an option in my thoughts.
      My life is my own, and I take offense at anyone who seeks to restrict me in what I want to do with it – especially to the extent of refusing me the right to end my life whenever I want. It is my life and no one else has the right to force me into living when all I want is death. This is similar in some ways to my birth. I did not ask to be born, and considering all the horrible and violent childhood traumas I went through, I have yet to see any reason why I should be responsible for being a victim. The thing about being a victim is that you have zero say in being victimized. It is always the choices and actions of others that provide the situation of criminal actions onto the victim. In the case of children, they have zero choices that they can be held responsible for in terms of the crimes that are done to them.
      Now fast forward into the life of an older child or an adult who is still suffering from their childhood trauma, who have suffered so much damage that their responses and reactions to outside stimuli are not viewed as mentally healthy or perhaps even rational.
      It does not matter what you think about it. Who cares what you think? What matters is what happened to these victims and how we can help them deal with it. As for me, no one wants to help me deal with my problems except for a few extremely rare individuals. Society and so-called professionals have shown me that this world is disgusting, pathetic, insane, psychotic, and so nasty in so many ways that I will gladly kill myself. In the end I will have more of a need to end my life than to maintain it just to provide other people with some va.gue ideas of continuity in their expected world-view.
      I intend to kill myself and I reserve the right to do so no matter what any of you idiots think about it, so why don't you shut up about what you don't have a clue about?

September 30, 2012 at 20:39 | Report abuse |
    • lily164

To George Cranston, I know all to well the effects of child abuse. I have some real pathetic relatives myself. My abusers sit around and feel sorry for themselves while taking no accountablity for the things they've done and continue to do, which include being a criminal. All I can say is to find your own peace. I know this culture is vile. Work for youself or get out of this toxic culture and teach scuba in Hawaii or something unconventional and away from this socity that would give you some joy. Sometimes getting away from it is all you can do ... and an occassional getting even.

October 1, 2012 at 11:00 | Report abuse |
    • For George

To George Cranston, suicide-to-be: George I hear you 100%. It is absolutely your right to choose whether to live or die – and no law can take that away from you.... what are they going to do? Throw you in prison after you've already killed yourself?
      I would however implore you to do every last thing you can possibly think of to get better – to feel better. I know you may feel entirely hopeless... I have absolutely been there myself (no reason to compare horror stories... Trauma is Trauma, depression is depression, and mental illness is mental illness). I spent MANY years seeking treatment and help only to find that meds aggravated things and I felt like therapy was a waste of time... what good is whining to a stranger going to do for me? I however kept trying – often desperate attempts – to find some relief and it just wouldn't come. However one day I found a doctor that really cared. He stood by my side, he made himself available to me, and made a commitment to me that he would help me feel better... it was alot of hard work but it worked. Today with the help of therapy and meds I have been feeling stable for several years and feel better than I ever had in the past. The shame with mental illness is that specific illnesses are often extremely difficult to diagnose, making finding the appropriate treatment even harder. Is it bipolar, is it depression, an anxiety disorder, schizophrenia, or what?! Often the only way a doctor can find the appropriate treatment is through trial and error... the good news is eventually they can find the right combination of med, therapy, meditation etc etc etc for everyone – you just have to pull through one day at a time, one minute at a time, one second at a time. Just hold on and you WILL get there. ALL problems have solutions. Death is a possible solution and it is your right in my opinion... however if you hold on and keep working at it I KNOW I AM CERTAIN you can find happiness.
      I know im just a stranger and you may not buy into what I'm saying but I could not let the opportunity pass to share my experiences with someone else that is experiencing a personal crisis. I know it's so cliche but IT DOES GET BETTER.

Be well

October 1, 2012 at 15:12 | Report abuse |
  2. The LeftCoast

And the majority of those who committed suicide were also on meds. There's a pattern there... Wake up people, and stop drugging yourselves to death.

September 27, 2012 at 15:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MashaSobaka

I wonder what you have to say about cancer patients who die while receiving treatment. I suppose the treatment is the cause of their death too? Not the cancer?

September 27, 2012 at 16:37 | Report abuse |
    • Ray

"And the majority of those who committed suicide were also on meds."

Where did you get this information?

September 27, 2012 at 22:04 | Report abuse |
    • Busydaddy

Suicide is a side effect for ... taking Ritalin. Many teachers/schools will push parents to put their child with ADD on Ritalin. Don't we love the influence of PUBLIC Education? I know a child on Ritalin. She walks like a zombie from the "Walking Dead" movie.
      It's a well known fact: More Ritalin leads to more suicides.

September 28, 2012 at 00:19 | Report abuse |
    • Mental Health Counseling Student

Statistics???? Where did you get that information? The majority are actually not being treated at all. Actually anti-depressants LOWER the average depression patient's risk of suicide. While their is a slight risk of increased or new suicidal thoughts and/or behavior, in children, teens, and young adults, at the start of antidepressant treatment, proper monitor can prevent an increased risk of suicide. No one is entirely sure why this might be, but a lot of people think it is because the patient feels better after taking the meds and thus has more energy and motivation to finally kill themselves. Other reasons could be: a misdiagnosis of depression leads to a Manic/mixed episode among people actually suffering from Bipolar Disorder or the client not getting enough relief from the antidepressant and thus feeling like nothing can help them.

All three issues can dealt with by proper monitoring by the prescribing physician and some psychoeducation.

September 28, 2012 at 00:47 | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Kelly

Oh absolutely they are mostly on meds already. This leads to the circular reasoning(in other words fallacious argument) made by Psychiatrists that they "needed" more treatment. It is well known for example that drugs like Prozac make young folks more agitated but they don't lay off prescribing this stuff because it is all big big money for pharmaceutical companies. Unless and until we stop the culture that says this is ok to drug young people or any people for that matter to the max for any reason whatsowever nothing will improve in the mental health system. Simple as that.

September 28, 2012 at 09:45 | Report abuse |
    • SP

TLC's comment is a tenant of Scientology. They have a blanket rejection of all drugs, believing the mind is perfect but receives bad input.

It's unlikely that rationalization or science will sway TLC from his/her viewpoint.

September 29, 2012 at 01:57 | Report abuse |
    • Mike

You are absolutely correct! Most of these murder suicides are linked to prescription drugs. One of the dumbest tales ever told was "Here take this, you'll be better..." Newsflash, it's the drugs...

September 29, 2012 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
    • pv

Do you think these kids start taking meds before they get suicidal or after... get ur facts right.. Doctors do not go to houses to find kids to medicate them. the parents bring them in as they are already close to suicidal ...

September 30, 2012 at 22:42 | Report abuse |
  3. c s

Why in the world would a 13 year old kid feel so depressed that he would commit suicide? The fact that he did it at school seems to indicate that something terrible was happening at school. It seems like his life must have been a living hell in order for him to do it.

September 27, 2012 at 15:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MashaSobaka

A lot of people call suicide a cop-out. I wonder how many of those people have ever faced depression or another mental illness. It takes an especially brutal kind of hell to make someone take their life. I feel horrible for this child and the people who loved him. I also have a feeling that I know how he got there. I was pretty close myself, once upon a time.

September 27, 2012 at 16:36 | Report abuse |
    • MomofTeens

I tried at 11. Parents were fighting (both remarried), had an awful teacher (only teacher I ever hated!) School nurse talked to me and said these were the easiest years of my life, I should just enjoy them. Went home and took a handful of moms valium (this was in the early 70's) because if these were the easy years I didn't want to see how much harder it would get. NEVER tell a young person they have it easy. You may understand that with an adults perspective but they DO NOT. They only have their experience to base their unhappiness on. I've spoken in depth with my now 15 year old about how unhappy she was during 8th grade. She was bullied endlessly at school and the school counselors kept telling her to make friends with these troubled kids that were leaving her in fear for her safety daily. I talked to her daily about how hard these years are and that it will get better. She came to me this year and finally told me what I had feared, she considered suicide many times but my telling her it would get better and about my experience was the ONLY thing that prevented it. She's quite happy now, all those kids have been expelled and/or arrested over the course of the last three years and don't trouble her anymore.

September 27, 2012 at 18:23 | Report abuse |
    • gager

It's amazing the ignorance of suicide. Do research before posting nonsense. For most people who take their own life, suicide is the act of last resort to end the pain. Depression for some is unrelenting and the only relief may be suicide.

September 29, 2012 at 18:54 | Report abuse |
  4. HARD

Just remember, when times get really bad that suicide is on yout side. Use it.

September 27, 2012 at 16:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MomofTeens

Joke all you like but having attempted it once I've considered it many times since and only decided not to day by day sometimes. I now have a wonderful husband and family that I never thought could possibly happen.

September 27, 2012 at 18:26 | Report abuse |
    • Busydaddy

Moron.

September 28, 2012 at 00:22 | Report abuse |
    • freedomlover

So true, suicide is the last truly free choice we have in this country.

September 28, 2012 at 14:00 | Report abuse |
    • Martina

WHy don't you do us all a favor and use it yourself?

September 29, 2012 at 04:03 | Report abuse |
  5. Patrick

There are many prescription drugs like anti-depressants that are known to cause suicidal thoughts. The number of people on anti-depressants has increased as well.

September 27, 2012 at 16:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LC

People who are on anti-depressants are generally depressed already. Anti-depressants may make someone more likely to commit or attempt suicide, especially in the first month or two of use, because they have some effects earlier than others. For example, someone with suicidal thoughts might have more energy in the first weeks on medication without having their depression relieved, and thereby have the follow-through to kill themselves where before they were in bed all day. An increase in suicidal acts with medication doesn't mean medication causes suicidal thoughts, frequently it's that the lassitude of depression discourages all action including suicide attempts.

September 30, 2012 at 13:35 | Report abuse |
  6. Beth

Use it? Really? Suicide is not a cop-out. Most (not all) people that take their life have suffered many years. Most have tried a combination of meds to fix the debilitating depression. You can never know just how paralyzing it can be if you don't suffer from depression. To anyone that has a loved one that suffers from depression ......... PLEASE keep trying to get the person help. Death is permanent and for those left behind, it's heart wrenching !!!

September 27, 2012 at 16:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • George Cranston, suicide-to-be

Yes, it may be "heart-wrenching" to have someone "close" kill themselves, but to use that as an excuse to strip someone of their rights is nothing less than emotional blackmail.
      I loathe, LOATHE, the fact that there will be people who will react badly to my suicide. It has already caused me to put off my eventual suicide in ways I find personally intolerable. When I can no longer tolerate the delay, I will take action.
      It's very simple. I loathe the emotional blackmail that I am forced to endure due to my personal circmstances. The damage I would do to other people who are mentally unable to already cope with things is too much at the moment. I am a suicidal person in a family of mentally ill people. But at some point I'm going to feel that the emotional calculus is overwhelmingly in favor of finally being able to end my own life. That's when I will end my life and cease to exist, leaving the rest of you people to do whatever you want without me around. It won't matter what I think about the future anymore. It won't matter how much I want to help all of humanity move into some sort of rational-based mode of operations. It won't matter because I won't be here. I will no longer exist. All of you idiots will continue to act like rabid irrational primates, because that is what you ARE and nothing I can do is likely to ever change that fact.

September 30, 2012 at 20:56 | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer M

To George Cranston, you mention being emotionally blackmailed, so have you considered moving someplace new and starting over to get away from the problem if that's possible? Have you talked with a friend or counselor or, if nothing else, TheHopeLine.com? You might think things are hopeless but they rarely are. I got out of my depression by getting away from bullies, finding hobbies I enjoy and making friends with good people. Even though it might not be as simple for you, it's almost certain you can get help to get out of your misery. Speaking with someone who cares is the best thing you can do before making such an irreversible decision.

October 1, 2012 at 15:51 | Report abuse |
  7. Bob

I guess we better have congress ban suicide so we stop doing it!

September 27, 2012 at 17:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Beth

????

September 27, 2012 at 20:08 | Report abuse |
    • KJC

It already is illegal in most states, actually.

September 28, 2012 at 15:47 | Report abuse |
    • George Cranston, suicide-to-be

Banning suicide is de-facto UNCONSTlTUTIONAL and these laws should be obliterated from our legal system immediately.

September 30, 2012 at 20:58 | Report abuse |
  8. Al

"Poisonings, the third leading cause of injury-related deaths, increased by 128% over the 10 year period, largely because of prescription drug overdoses."

And the handgun shown on the top of the report above suggests the reason Americans die so much from suicide.

September 27, 2012 at 17:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • UncleJohn

I don't know why this posted under someone else.

IN countries that have effectively outlawed firearm possession (e.g., New Zealand and Australia), the suicide rate didn't change at all, and may have risen slightly. Hangings (#2) and poisonings (#3) stepped in to fill the gap.

It's not the tool that makes the decision, it's a tragically depressed person who has lost all hope.

September 28, 2012 at 18:57 | Report abuse |
  9. dotheflippin'math

People, even children, feel the depression over declining finances, and lack of hope in the future. Obama didn't kill the US economy, or run-up the deficit by launching multiple viet-nam's. Imagine how many more would have taken their lives if we listened to Romney and the GOP and refused to bail-out GM and Chrysler. We need another WPA. Romney complains about people "expecting food and shelter," and blames them for their jobs being lost. Tea-party freshmen in the House prevented Obama and the Dem's from generating the jobs that would have lifted the entire nation out of this gloom. We have the people. We have the resources. We can make a huge jump forwards, or Romney can win, and we can flounder for another 4 years, and watch as our freedoms and safety net disappear under the guise that a "smaller government" will "fix" all of our problems. If I were Pres, I'd create jobs for everyone on welfare, or without work. Imagine what we could do. Btw, we could do this w/o socialism, simply by heavily rewarding those who provide real incomes and benefits to American citizens, while not allowing companies and individuals to reap huge profits w/o fair taxation by farming-out our jobs overseas, and banking their ill-gotten gains in off-shore accounts. I can't wait to see Romney's last 10 years of tax returns. Why won't he share them?? Answer: NOBODY with any conscience would ever vote for him, even you ultra-religious folks who he is pandering to. Romney's morals have always been for sale to the highest bidder.

September 27, 2012 at 20:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Busydaddy

I would vote for Romney. He'll be ruling a planet as a God after he dies. What about you? Why don't you do something that's moral for your party and rig some voter booths as without it, the democrats won't have a "fair" chance of winning. Obama spend three times more money than Bush in his first 4 years in office. You don't understand why the world banks are buying up gold? We're bankrupt. No Romney can undo Obama's disaster. Get ready for massive inflation. Stop whining about Romney's tax returns. Explain Michelle's pizza from NYC on Air Force One for 1 million dollars.

September 28, 2012 at 00:32 | Report abuse |
    • freedomlover

why can't people see that republicans, democrats and the media have an agreement to split the white house so it changes every 8 years going back to Clinton. that why the media ignores independent candidates. That's why Romney is making all the mistakes he's mad in the last 4 months (do you really think he's dumb enough to insult 47% of voters on accident) and his VP is still running for his seat in congress. There is no real difference between the party's nether will sever us well because both have sold us out to big money. Republicans to big oil, democrats to insurance Corporations.

September 28, 2012 at 14:24 | Report abuse |
    • UncleJohn

September 28, 2012 at 18:57 | Report abuse |
  10. TheTruth

Everyone needs to shut up. You don't realize that the reason why suicide is rising in children and teens is because you probably don't spend enough time with them. If you do spend a lot of time with them then you should be able to see if something is wrong. You need to stop questioning if you children are on drugs or are depressed and just become their parent and their parent. you will have a stronger relationship and then they will start to trust you as time goes on you may be able to prevent these things.

September 28, 2012 at 07:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • one time

Co-sign, this is 100% true. Also the media pushes teens to be independent and act in whichever way they please, not realizing too much freedom is not always a good thing, these kids feel isolated and lonely. WAKE UP PEOPLE, be there for your children at all times, and they will be there for you when you're old and need help

September 28, 2012 at 10:46 | Report abuse |
    • Keith

You never parented troubled Teens

September 29, 2012 at 04:29 | Report abuse |
  11. Enoch100

This is what 'freedom from religion' is bringing. Welcome to the new USA.

September 28, 2012 at 08:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Magpie

Seriously? Every person I've known over my lifetime who committed suicide ALL went to church and called themselves Christians. Quit trying to push your ridiculous agenda.

September 28, 2012 at 09:27 | Report abuse |
    • g000p

LOL. if you bothered to actually look at the numbers before making up nonsense, you'd see that religion doesn't correlate with suicide rates.

September 28, 2012 at 15:06 | Report abuse |
    • Keith

Many people trying to live with the guilt that their religion puts on them have lead them to the final solution, killing themselves

September 29, 2012 at 04:26 | Report abuse |
  12. Mark G

These statistics are kind of pointless. It is easy to lower the death rate from ACCIDENTS, especially will newer technology and advancements in vehicle, tire, etc., and highway design. It is almost impossible to protect someone self-inflicting, INTENTIONAL harm. (i.e. suicide).

September 28, 2012 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jennifer M

Not true. People rarely commit suicide without leaving some warning signs first, and when these are ignored is when suicide can occur. Realize that suicidal people will likely not look for help, so it's other people's responsibility to help them. Almost anyone can be suicidal if they are at a low enough point in their life, so don't assume that a certain person won't kill themself just because they don't fit the typical profile. When I thought about suicide as a teen, it would have meant a lot if someone would have just asked me what was wrong in my life while being genuinely concerned and listening to my problems without passing judgment.

Paradoxically, suicide rates are higher in developed countries b/c we judge our happiness by the people around us. So if someone feels that they are the only one having a certain problem, they might become suicidal. Helping them see that a lot of people have had the same problem and showing them ways to get past the problem are good ways to help eliminate their suicidal thoughts.

September 28, 2012 at 12:03 | Report abuse |
    • Keith

Jenifer, you are full of it,

September 29, 2012 at 04:25 | Report abuse |
  13. pillskill

I think it is the pills.
    The SSRI's are the ones doing the most harm that i am personally aware of.
    the stimulates in these drugs cause the manic death episodes – and spiraling into even more illness – like psychosis.
    this is all by design – so the pharma companies can make more money and keep their-selves on your payroll and in and on the governments payroll and every company that purchases health insurance payroll and your families payroll, and other countries and their peoples payroll, etc., etc., etc., – not to mention feed the mentally defective noncare system and the prisons, courthouses, and public safety persons – all well employed and depended upon all the 'VICTIMS' re: patients and their families and their communities, and their elected officials and doctors and hospitals, and universities ... well the universities and hospitals and doctors and elected officials, and courthouses and prisons are all on the corrupt side of pharma coin. it is the patients and the people who lose – by design – as always. so hey – kill away – as long as someone is paying – 'they' DO NOT CARE – that's what their prescription bottles should say.

September 28, 2012 at 11:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Hey

Medication is completely unnecessary, people got along better before all the stupid antidepressants and ADHD medication, even before therapy. If people started realizing its in their heads things might change, I overcome anxiety/depression with a firm mind, not a pill and a man talking to me

September 28, 2012 at 13:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Keith

that may be true for you, but you haven't been where I have been

September 29, 2012 at 04:24 | Report abuse |
  15. SoSad

As a father of a daughter who suicided, we do not use the word "committed" they suicided. Committed is a legal term, no one wants to take their life. My wife and I are still trying to cope, its been two years. What have we learned, severe depression, intense pain, that affects those from 5 to 100, rich or poor, homeless, doctors, lawyers, police officers, everyone. What the article illustrates is a teenager, yes it hard on them also. Please note, a suicide happens every 17 minutes, I know its hard to beleive, but its true. Yes, medication plays a part, but only a percentage. Doctors and scientists are working on the cause's, lack of seratonene in the brain, neurotransmitters off, chemical in balance in the brain etc. Its hard, very hard. Its not just medication, educate yourselfs. Peace.

September 28, 2012 at 15:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Keith

We live in a country that give us little hope. I am sure it will get worse as the economy continues its slide to oblivion

September 29, 2012 at 04:22 | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer M

My condolences on the death of your daughter. I lost my brother to suicide 10 years ago and it made me realize that suicide is never the answer to any problem. I'll have to live with the regret that I didn't do anything to help him even though the signs of his intent to kill himself were there. That's why it's our responsibility as human beings to help those who are not in the right mind to help themselves.

September 29, 2012 at 12:25 | Report abuse |
    • George Cranston, suicide-to-be

When you people understand how our brains work and just how pathetic and disgusting and screwed up this world is, you will probably want to kill yourselves too. Those people no longer exist. Their pain is no longer happening. That is why they killed themselves – to end their suffering. It doesn't matter what you think about it or what part you may or may not have played in them deciding to put an end to their lives. Your feelings don't matter because it was not your life and not your pain, it was theirs.
      If you want to stop future suicides, you'll have to change so many things about how humans function that it would be easier to wipe out the whole human race than to get anyone to admit that we are nothing more than rabid irrational primates and that there might be something we could do to fix that "little" problem.

September 30, 2012 at 21:06 | Report abuse |
    • Lynnie

SoSad, my heart aches for you and your wife. Such unbearable pain.
      There is still light and beauty in our world, I hope that at times you
      can catch at least glimmers of that. Have peace.

October 1, 2012 at 05:03 | Report abuse |
  16. Ziphagen

Percentages and rankings are nice but the story is incomplete without real numbers. There were almost 34,000 motor vehicle-related deaths in 2009. Does that mean there were more than 33,000 suicides in the country in 2009? In fact there were nearly 37,000 suicides in the U.S. in 2009.

September 28, 2012 at 18:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. John P.

The CDC has different facts from this article??

September 28, 2012 at 22:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Lance Aron

Suicide is not an option
    LIFE IS THE ONLY OPTION
    SUICIDE IS NOT AN OPTION
    10 REASON WHY NOT TO COMMITT SUICIDE-GET HELP!!!!!!!!
    ALLOWING YOUR EMOTIONS TO EFFECT YOUR THINKINGIS DANGEROUS AND YOU MUST NOT NOT NOT EVEN CONSIDER THIS!!!
    1. If you’re reading this, and if you have suicidal thoughts there is at least a small if not a big part in you that doesn’t want to die. Listen to it, and please read on.
    2. Suicide is final – once it's done, there’s no changing your mind. Since you have even the slightest of doubts, you owe it to yourself to stay alive.
    3. Even if you wait just one day, you may find a reason not to kill yourself in the meantime. Have you ever thought it’s not your job or material situation that makes others happy it’s your very presence your existence that brings meaning to those that love you.
    4. If you’re feeling suicidal, you’re probably in more pain than you know how to handle. There are ways to reduce the pain, and ways to learn to deal with pain. You can learn both – either way things will get better. Nothing lasts forever not even hard times
    5. Just because you’re feeling suicidal doesn’t mean you have to act on that feeling. In fact put it right out your mind because you are not your emotions and although you may feel emotionally troubled, depressed, and anxious in time it will let up. The golden rule is never make any decision based on emotion and definitely when it comes to your life.
    6. Consider this – if you’re trying to escape from the pain you are in and seek relief, suicide is not the answer. You cannot feel relief, or anything else for that matter, if you are dead. You must stay alive in order to feel the relief you seek.
    7. Often when feeling suicidal you feel alone. You are not alone – you found us didn’t you? Turn to your family or friends or a priest or a rabbi – anyone that will listen. If you don’t know whom to turn to, email me on contact@yourstoryunedited.com ,or sms me on my cell 27(code for South Africa)021(Cape Town ) 071 856 58 64 on my cell and I will phone you back no matter where you are in the world. If you in a different time zone I will phone you as soon as I wake up. My name is Lance Aron founder of YSU and I understand how you feel because I suffered depression all my life until 3 years ago. If I had acted on my suicidal feelings I would never have had the chance to live my dream. Negative thinking and a distorted view of life because of emotions that are out of control, is causing you to suffer. Seek help just like anyone would do when they sick and suffering. Mental pain is no different to physical pain and specialist health care practioners can help you. Rather go straight to Hospital and let them tranquilize you until you in apposition to think clearly. This will give you relief and you will still be alive. Remember the scripture a live dog is better than a dead lion. This means as long as you can breath and are alive there is hope, despite how bad your situation appears to be. YES, lots of hope.
    8. By terminating your life right now, you terminate your future. Consider this – we create our own future. You have the power to create whatever future you wish for yourself. But you need to be alive in order to have that future.
    9. If you’re sensitive enough to be in so much pain that you no longer want to live, you’re probably sensitive enough to care about, and want to help others. Maybe you don’t feel like helping anyone else right now, but why not help yourself? And perhaps by not killing yourself and overcoming your difficulties you can later help someone else who is in a similar situation.
    10. Finally, don’t do it because I’m personally asking you not to until I have had a chance to speak with you. Whatever you’re feeling, whatever you’re going through, things can get better – I know because I’ve been there. Maybe I haven’t experienced exactly what you have, but I understand what you feeling and it will and can better
    Choose to persevere and through your endurance you will gain wisdom and learn how to help others in need
    My book 2 billion 488 million seconds to live your dream will show you how I went from rags to riches in every aspect of my life when I broke free from negative thinking .www.yourstoryunedited.com.
    Lance Aron. Founder YSU

September 28, 2012 at 23:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bren

Sam, you sound like a person who has never had to suffer or do without. I doubt you have ever felt without hope. Get help? No job, no insurance, no car, no money, and no one able to help. Hope? Is someone going to bring me a car? Is someone going to pay my electricity bill? Is someone going to show up out here in the sticks and hand me money to survive on? Can I walk 25 miles into town each day to work? Your little speech sounds good, but life isn't that way. I wont hurt myself, because I wont hurt my family that way, but every night I PRAY for death!

September 29, 2012 at 19:56 | Report abuse |
    • Bren

I should have read to the end of your post. You are here to sell a book for 15.00

September 29, 2012 at 20:07 | Report abuse |
    • heybren

Hey Bren,
      I am reaching out to you because that was sad, and i'm sorry that jerk made you feel that way.
      this world does suck many times – but there is also a lot of good.
      try this: there is this thing called yoga muntra. if you google it – you will find hand motions used for healing.
      one hand motion is prayer motion. do this in front of your sternum – press into sternum with thumbs to activate heart chakra.
      the other is the ok sign – do this as oft as you can
      you do not have to prayer – just try to be in the now and see the light shining off something – or hear the silence or just little sounds – notice what is there – breath – learn to breath.
      when you pray – turn your prayer around a bit to be more positive
      like: i pray to live before i die
      or
      i pray to pray tomorrow
      i don't know
      make up something stupid but not destructive ...
      or just give thanks
      give thanks to have one more time to pray to die if this is as far as you can get at first.
      try it
      for me

September 29, 2012 at 22:17 | Report abuse |
    • Mini me

bren I will drive to you and buy you food where and when
      seven o four 500 3877

September 29, 2012 at 23:46 | Report abuse |
  19. Keith

America is in serious trouble.

September 29, 2012 at 04:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. bt

Step one to winding up like the Middle East. Wait till they all figure out 'how to make it count'........I remember when this was a country to die for, ....not because of.

September 29, 2012 at 04:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Mark Smith

Baby boomers are getting older and sicker. Old sick people are likely to commit suicide. Suicide rates will increase. Cars have become safer and people drink and drive less lowering accident rates. In 1980s 40,000 died each year on roads. Now its more like 15,000 and there are 50% more people. All in the numbers. No surprises here.

September 29, 2012 at 07:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. sam

Those of you who think suicide is a a cop out or an easy way out have never seen or felt the pit of darkness that comes hand in hand with mental illness. Sometimes the only thing that gives relief is the thought of not living another day in our own personal hell. Don't be so quick to judge unless you have been there.

September 29, 2012 at 15:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Meredith Kendall

Thing to note – what is a suicide isn't necessarily reported as a suicide. "Accidental" includes suicides if the coroner doesn't want to report a death as a suicide for whatever reason. The suicide rate is likely higher, but we don't know how much.

Suicide is a phenomenon that has been around for a long time and occurs in humans ages five and up. Stigma is one of it's biggest contributors. It seems to not be as prevalent in countries that encourage strong familial ties and finding a necessary place to help one's community. Who would have thought something that simple could help? Still happens, though.

Oh, and most people don't actually take the psychiatric medication they're prescribed for more than a few weeks. Kind of like most people don't finish their round of antibiotics. They assume they don't need them anymore. Other reasons, but that's a big one.

September 29, 2012 at 23:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. jimmy_d

As an EMS worker for 22 years, I've been on scene of 11 suicides. 7 of them had music playing. All 7 it was C&W. Coincidence? No. That music is depressing.....

September 30, 2012 at 07:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LC

There's a research project in this. Eat your heart out, Judas Priest.

September 30, 2012 at 13:44 | Report abuse |
  25. Jacob

Perhaps we should start prosecuting politicians for causing all these suicides... their greed and their neglecting of the economy and the healthcare system are the reasons for many of those suicides. If we prosecute greedy politicians half as strongly as we prosecute drunk drivers maybe the numbers will go down too.

September 30, 2012 at 08:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Phoebe

Jacob that makes sense for a lot of people the ended their lives due to no jobs, no health care, homelessness ect.

September 30, 2012 at 22:41 | Report abuse |
  26. They're kidding, right?

Certainly there has always been a higher mortality rate resulting from suicide contrasted to auto accidents.

September 30, 2012 at 12:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Joe

As Keith pointed out, the worse is yet to come. You think things are bad now? HA!! Just stick around a few more years.

September 30, 2012 at 14:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. bug

for sosad, my heartfelt sympathy on ur loss. also thank-you for sharing ur grief. for bren, im n a similar situation. im a breast cancer survivor of 2 yrs. my husband has chosen the path of being n addict n doesn't work.hope is a powerful emotion, but when that is made hard to come by, it's ez to think of lessening the burden n a permanet way. but i fought cancer to fiercly to give n. i remind myself dly.n to ?!$hole who said mind over matter works,no it doesn't.or i wld b just fine now. evy1 wld b!

September 30, 2012 at 18:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Jo Gordon

My brother killed himself a month ago. He was 53, married with 3 kids. Had a great county job and a great house and car. It appears society has gone down the toilet when it comes to being kind, compassionate and caring.

September 30, 2012 at 23:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lynnie

There is no wrenching pain that compares to that of knowing someone you loved made a choice to leave.
      Especially as you search and search for a "justifiable" reason. On the outside it appears your brother had it all.
      Why did he fall into that deep dark hole ? you ask yourself over and over and over again.

There are still people who are good and kind among us–there are still decent, caring people in the world.

I'm so sorry for the pain you and your brothers' family are crawling thru. It's incredibly hard, isn't it.
      I wish you peace.

October 1, 2012 at 04:42 | Report abuse |
  30. j

I don't really know what to say to make any of you change your minds. I can't even say that I know what you are going through. I can say that I have had thoughts of suicide before and I still continue to this day. Years ago when things really started falling apart in my marriage and my wife left me and our eight year old son for another man I lost it. I didn't want to live without my best friend and to be honest at the time I couldn't even cope with that person in my life that knew everything about me and was the one person that I could always lean on when times got bad. I started sinking into a really bad depression. I had family that cared about me, and they would try everything to cheer me up. Yet nothing seemed to work. I eventually took an overdose of prescription pills while my son was visiting his mother. Luckily my Father and Mother hadn't heard from me that day and decided to stop by and check on me. After I didn't answer the door they broke it down and found me on the bathroom floor. I was rushed to the ER and my stomach pumped. I was in the ICU for several days. The nurses and doctors didn't report my suicide attempt to the authorities because they felt bad for me and as long as I agreed to seek help they wouldn't report it. After I was released from the hospital I went into a hospital in another town for my depression. While staying there for treatment I got to see and talk to other people around me that were way worst than I was. People that had been abused from the day they were born. Still it was these people that gave me the strength that I needed to go on with my life. The fact that I have a loving family and a child that depended on me helped me to see that there are always people that are worst off than you. Things can get better. You do have to make the choices needed to change your life. Letting this world and the people around you get you down is only letting them win. Don't give them the satisfaction. Do something about it. I did. I checked myself out of that hospital and began living my life again. I was the father that my son needed. I also went after the one I loved (my wife) and I got her back. We have been back together for eight years now. Been married to her for over 18 years. My son is now 17. And I have a daughter that is now 7 that I wouldn't have been able to enjoy if I had been successful with trying to take my own life. Things are not always the way we want them to be. Things don't always go the way we want them to go. Sometimes in this life we are dealt a terrible hand. It is up to us to make things better for ourselves. Suicide is not the answer. It is nothing. I know that this might sound selfish but please think about the people you will be impacting around you. Please go and talk to someone. At least just talk to someone. I know that some of you on here do not believe in God. That is your choice and I will not push it on you. Nore will I preach to you. I do ask that the ones on here that do believe please pray with me for these people that have lost their way.

October 1, 2012 at 13:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Bart Flaster

Lazy author.

Presnts percentages. Does not present per capita numbers. Uses a sensational suicide to create drama.

Poor journalism. Lacking context.

This article is just a click collector.

Disappointing.

October 1, 2012 at 13:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Citizen

As a county coroner investigator, suicides were "seasonal" deaths. Their peak was during the holidays. Now, suicides are everyday. For our county, they are not so much with prescribed narcotics, but by hanging and shootings. My brother-in-law took his life 26 years ago, and it shattered our family. When I investigate these deaths, I can totally relate to the "victims" who are left behind. They have questions, but the love one who took their life has the answers. Not all suicides have notes, as many people believe. The youngest was an eleven year old girl! How devastating for a young child not to fight for her life. To give up so easily and forfeiting her rights to passage (prom, first kiss, first love, marriage, children). What is wrong with our great citizens in America? Have we lost hope? God, and only God will take you when he is ready. Please find the strength to hand over Jesus your burden, unfairness, injustice, and heart broken soul. Come into the light of the living, don't take your life and remain in the darkness. God bless all you who courageously blogged in.

October 1, 2012 at 13:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Greg

I'm a successful 47 yr old male but once upon a time was a tortured teen in the public school system. I was a target for every kind of peer abuse you could imagine and more. If I were growing up today, no doubt I would blown away some poeple in school and probably killed myself afterward. School is brutal and becoming more so with time. My sister and her family are friends with a couple who's son (13 yrs.) hung himself in his closet last year. I don't know all the details but it was awful. I think that fundimental religion has had a negative impact on people. Basically, in my oppinion, religion has set up an environment that says "if you are not perfect then you are flawed and god hates you and you will go to hell". That puts a lot of pressure on people but especially on kids whom are still finding their way. To sum it up I think a lot of hate that occurs in school is derived from fundimental religion. My wife and I have noticed that our kids are mostly picked on by kids with very religious families. To that end, how about getting away from organized religion and actually practice what the bible teaches – our kids will be better off and there will be less suicide – especially in our children.

October 1, 2012 at 13:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. aj

that was real good

October 2, 2012 at 23:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. BJ Stewart

I am a disabled vet and I am alarmed by the number of active duty service members who are committing suicide. I started http://www.SharedSorrows.com to help people after the loss of a loved one. A good friend even helped me put together a thought of the day for 365 days after a loss. It is called CaringThought and it is free so if you know of someone who needs some encouragement after a loss by suicide, please tell them about us.

November 3, 2012 at 14:24 | Report abuse | Reply