home
RSS
September 19th, 2012

Finally, quiet for man who could hear workings of his own body

A 44-year-old man in Dartmouth, Massachusetts can finally hear normally after a decade of being tormented by the sounds of his own body.

For 10 years, Manny Pavao was afflicted with superior canal dehiscence syndrome, caused by a tiny hole in the bone that separates the inner ear from the brain.

All day, Pavao would hear everything from the beating of his own heart to the movement of his eyes, which he describes to CNN affiliate WCVB as a grating sound, like "rubbing sandpaper on a piece of wood back and forth."

Pavao tells the station his own voice was amplified, like he "was talking through a speaker that was blown out."

Superior canal dehiscnece is such a rare condition that it is commonly missed in diagnosis because of similarities to other ailments.

Dr. Daniel Lee of Massachusetts Eye and Ear tells WCVB it often "resembles many common conditions of the ear like allergies or Eustachian tube dysfunction."

While watching the local news, Pavao's wife saw a story about a woman who was cured of a similar condition.

"It was hope. Something he had not had in all those years and it was amazing," Linda Pavao said.

During a four-hour procedure Lee repaired the microscopic hole and others in the bone with Pavao's own tissue.

After the surgery Pavao said he was shocked that he had been cured and said he became emotional after he couldn't hear the sound of his own footsteps.

After a decade of daily aggravation, Pavao said, "I'm looking forward to the second phase of my life."

1. Jorge

He should have tried 'faith healing' instead...

September 19, 2012 at 17:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob

He will surely burn for this!

September 19, 2012 at 18:31 | Report abuse |
    • JD

Are you for real or just trying to be funny?

September 19, 2012 at 19:48 | Report abuse |
    • Dave

JD – say his name out loud... "Whoooooooreeehaaaay..." now that's funny! Especially if you roll the rrrrr...

September 19, 2012 at 20:16 | Report abuse |
    • Lori

Jorge, Unfortulately faith alone could not help this person. There are too many of us that are suffering from this sound in our ears and not all of are lucky enough to find a doctor that will help find the reason why. This man was very lucky but it took 10 years to find the right doctor to help him.

September 19, 2012 at 20:23 | Report abuse |
    • Peter

Maybe you should try to figure out the 200+ incorruptible bodies of only Catholic saints from 50-2000 years old. Their bodies are still warm; are flexible; hair still grows; bleed when cut; etc. 'Only the fool denies there is a God.' AMEN!!!

September 19, 2012 at 20:34 | Report abuse |
    • Ernie

Hahahahah ohhhh Peter....

September 19, 2012 at 21:09 | Report abuse |
    • Not a Scholar

I think Faith Healing worked just fine. When you think you have come to the point of no cure, one is provided. Would a person of Faith not believe that the show his wife saw was not an answer provided? Would you think the doctors that participated in the cure were not provided? What a narrow and limited outlook on faith.

September 19, 2012 at 21:17 | Report abuse |
    • rswfire

Now if only they could cure tinnitus! So annoying at times.

September 19, 2012 at 21:35 | Report abuse |
    • Me

I once came upon a lady in a restaurant who seemed to have difficulty breathing. I asked if she needed any help and she replied no, and that she had asthma and she was waiting for the good lord to heal her. At that point, another lady nearby who had over heard came over and said she went to a church just don't the street that didn't believe in doctors and that people should pray to have God heal them. She said "Come on, I'll take you there and we'll pray together!" And off they went, just like that. Personally I think an inhaler would have been a little more efficient.

September 19, 2012 at 22:08 | Report abuse |
    • pismire

Imagine what bodily functions sounded like... Especially s3 xual climax. Amazing.

September 19, 2012 at 22:18 | Report abuse |
  2. gaucho420

Whoa! What a bizarre condition, and how terrible for that man to live with it for so long. I'm glad that he's got a chance to live a better life!

September 19, 2012 at 17:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lxhetagyrum

Agreed. Just hearing the sound of my own heart when I'm trying to sleep at night is torture enough for me. I can only imagine what this guy has had to go through.

September 19, 2012 at 17:48 | Report abuse |
  3. mikehipp

Isn't science great?

September 19, 2012 at 17:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ruth

The science is not great but the wisdom of human beings to fix the problem. And who give human beings wisdom then?

September 19, 2012 at 18:00 | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Ruth maybe you could do better with all this wisdom you were "give."

September 19, 2012 at 18:07 | Report abuse |
    • Umm...

Ruth, if God can give humans the wisdom to fix a problem he created in the first place, why didn't God just not create a flawed human in the first place?

The Flying Spaghetti Monster would never allow this – stop worshiping a false god! In his noodly goodness....Ramen.

September 19, 2012 at 18:30 | Report abuse |
    • Blackflag

Ruth, I am guessing that you probably have a GPS and a plastic Jesus on your dashboard, and the irony of that combination probably never even occurs to you, does it? Quick question: If you truly believe that salvation awaits you in heaven, why do you buckle your seat belt? I know I am not going to change your "beliefs", I just want to make sure you realize that you are a hypocrite and an obstacle to human progress. You don't have to agree, you just have to be quiet.

September 19, 2012 at 18:54 | Report abuse |
    • ThaGerm

Ruth, Science is language that God uses to tell the story of how God made this universe, The bible is the language that man uses to control fellow humans through fear.

September 19, 2012 at 18:54 | Report abuse |
    • TT

Ruth..you fukc.. God told me to tell you that

September 19, 2012 at 19:47 | Report abuse |
    • @bflag

Its not ironic to have a plastic jesus action figure/cross or whatever next to a GPS system. your trying to reduce God to merely a navigation system which He is not and you obviously have a giant misconception of who or what God is.

just because you are a christian/muslim/ fill-in-the-blank-religion does not mean you should take any and all steps into increasing your chance to die. you clearly have never read the bible or any religious text and can only cite things youve heard online.

being a hypocrite means you condemn something that you yourself are doing, Ruth was not condemning anything or anyone.

religion has helped science progress in indirect and direct ways and there are plenty of renown scientists who are religious (regardless of what they believe) and contribute a lot to science. believing in a religion does not automatically make one an "obstacle to human progression."

September 19, 2012 at 20:00 | Report abuse |
    • level headed

Sadly, Ruth is a subnormal.

September 19, 2012 at 20:05 | Report abuse |
    • Not a Scholar

@Umm... If God gave us all the answers from the beginning, what would be the purpose. It's bad enough with the way people take things for granted. If everything were given, nobody would appreciate anything, including accomplishments.

September 19, 2012 at 21:18 | Report abuse |
    • rswfire

Yes. Science is great. Humans using their intelligence to solve problems. Wisdom is something different. Some people have trouble separating or understanding the two concepts, it seems.

September 19, 2012 at 21:36 | Report abuse |
    • clem

@Paul....tee hee

September 19, 2012 at 22:39 | Report abuse |
    • ericgoestoholland

Can't mention the word science without someone needing to counteract it with god....

September 19, 2012 at 22:53 | Report abuse |
    • collhic

I know it's fashionable to trash religion in certain circles, but cut Ruth some slack. Would you scientific-centric atheists spin around and spontaneously combust if you found proof that God existed &, gasp, was the greatest scientist evvver? Since science is already your god, maybe not...

The irony of the story is that it took 10 years of ineffectual medical attention before the man finally, by pure happenstance, correctly self-diagnosed. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the medical science process.

September 19, 2012 at 23:54 | Report abuse |
    • 33

Wow...there are so many nice people giving nice comments out there.

September 22, 2012 at 21:11 | Report abuse |
    • Ruth

@Paul – Such a wise comment
      @Umm – We were created flawed human in the beginning. Of course you can’t believe that. Therefore, I have no need to explain it to you.

September 22, 2012 at 21:11 | Report abuse |
    • Ruth

@Blackflag – Whether or not I buckle my seatbelt, I am going to die one day and so are you. I can just be struck by lightning or have a heart attack while typing this but at least I know I have live my life to the fullest and I know where I am heading.
      @TheGerm – If you refer the bible to Christian bible, I am sure you never read it at all.

September 22, 2012 at 21:17 | Report abuse |
    • Ruth

@TT – Thank you so much.
      @bflag – Well said!!

September 22, 2012 at 21:20 | Report abuse |
    • Ruth

@level headed – My subnormal is caused by my ability to speak 4 languages fluently out of 9 languages that I have learned.

September 22, 2012 at 21:23 | Report abuse |
    • Ruth

@rswfire – Please check the definition of wisdom and science then you will find the correlation.

September 22, 2012 at 21:25 | Report abuse |
  4. Seldom Seen Mike

Uh oh, now he can't hear the sounds of his own footsteps. Maybe they plugged up the wrong hole?

September 19, 2012 at 17:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • holly

Hahaha. I think he means he can't hear them from the "inside" anymore. I'm sure he can hear his footfalls on wood like we can. Imagine having the sound of your footsteps run up through the inside of your body and hit your ears amplified? Yikes! I'd hate to walk.

September 19, 2012 at 17:53 | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Sounds like you know a lot about having the wrong hole plugged.

September 19, 2012 at 23:12 | Report abuse |
  5. firewall

W T Faaaaaaaaaack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

September 19, 2012 at 17:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Paul

This guy could have trained himself to be like the ultimate ninja.

September 19, 2012 at 17:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

Except those sounds were so overpowering he couldn't hear over them very well to hear what else was going on... making him the worst ninja ever. The only person he'd hear sneaking up on him is himself.

September 19, 2012 at 18:21 | Report abuse |
    • Seldom Seen Mike

Mike, I think he means he could have trained himself to be a great ninja because of his acute self-hearing. If he's quiet to himself then he must be silent to his enemies.

September 19, 2012 at 19:49 | Report abuse |
  7. Gabe

Not to down play real science but I remember Grey's Anatomy doing an episode where this was diagnosed. Coincidentally, Demi Lovato was the patient and was about to be sent to a mental hospital because she tried to rip her eyes out and wanted to commit suicide. She kept telling everyone she wasn't crazy. After doing a random test, she was diagnosed with this same thing. I like how shows like that bring out those super rare diseases because it brings attention to something that is very real just rarely seen.

September 19, 2012 at 18:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lulu

Yes, I know! That episode with Demi Lovato is this first thing my brain though when I read the heading for the article. I too appreciate that shows sometimes brings attention to rare disorders.

September 20, 2012 at 00:05 | Report abuse |
  8. HERETIC! BLASPHEMER!

Holy Jeebus wanted those holes there – he had them installed for a Divine Porpoise, and now evil men have thwarted our Beloveded Saviour's wishes!

EVIL, EVIL, WICKED PRIDE! What God has made, let not men unmake and stuff!!!

Woe be unto those who take God's powers into their own mortal hands!

September 19, 2012 at 18:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Francisco

On the contrary!!!!

After sin was implanted in this world thats why these things started happening. Before everything was perfect. Before Eve and Adam sinned, there was no such thing as pain, there was no such thing as sickness. There was no such thing as getting a cold or nothing. Actually, they were naked and didn't even know that was an embarrassing thing. After Eve ate the fruit of KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL, and then Adam ate it sin was created. At the same time Adam was hiding behind the bushes because he was naked when God went to see him, before there was no such thing. Embarrassment did not exist before he ate the fruit. And then the first thing Adam told God was, "Eve made me do it", guess what, he already started accusing. Before there was no such thing as accusing someone, there was no evil or bad in this world. So now, US, descendants of Adam and Eve, we have sin within us. Thats why diseases exist. Thats why people are born with abnormal sometimes. Thats why people get sick and die. Thats why sometimes things happen like what happened with this guy in this article. So no, God did not want this, This happened because this world is Sinful.

God Bless my Brother.

God Bles

September 19, 2012 at 18:20 | Report abuse |
    • Holy Water Mammal!

Devine porpoise?

September 19, 2012 at 19:01 | Report abuse |
    • Blackflag

Yeah Francisco, either that or Charles Darwin (and every scientist on the planet) has a better explanation. I acknowledge (not respect) your right to believe in any fairy tale you like, I just ask that you do so quietly and privately. I am sure you don't realize that you are supporting the single greatest obstacle to progress in human history, but you are. Try not to be so proud of that.

September 19, 2012 at 19:04 | Report abuse |
    • JD

Francisco, if Adam and Eve really were the first humans how did their children go off to other lands to marry as it says in the Bible.

September 19, 2012 at 19:53 | Report abuse |
    • level headed

Francisco is another subnormal commentator.

September 19, 2012 at 20:08 | Report abuse |
    • rswfire

Oh, Jesus, Francisco. Get a damned life already! God!

September 19, 2012 at 21:39 | Report abuse |
  9. Whoosh Whoosher

The whooshing, heartbeat-like symptom has a name: pulsatile tinnitus or pulse-synchronous tinnitus. It is a very real and sometimes debilitating symptom that has many possible causes and deserves more attention throughout the medical community. See http://www.whooshers.com for more info.

September 19, 2012 at 18:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. AlienShark

amazing story, I can't believe that condition exists! It must have drive him crazy!!

September 19, 2012 at 18:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. mred

My wife often tells me she is tormented by the sounds from my body.

September 19, 2012 at 18:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. eno1

hey wheres my post ...

September 19, 2012 at 18:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • fritz

It's right over there. Can't you see it? ...oops, it just flew away, sorry. ;op

September 19, 2012 at 22:02 | Report abuse |
  13. ronindavid

So basically this guy was almost the comic book hero Daredevil. All kidding aside, glad he's better and I know he'll enjoy life like few others now. Amazing that patients are becoming more and more accurate at diagnosing themselves. I already am about 50% right whenever I go to the doctor. Of course, I'm 50% WRONG too...but let this be a lesson to you doctors, your days in the spotlight are numbered. Technology will weed your jobs out just like it weeding mine out. Someday soon advanced and cheap scanners will give quick and accurate diagnosis. Then it's just a quick trip to the pharmacy/surgery and done!

September 19, 2012 at 18:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • rswfire

Something tells me that will remain in the realm of science fiction for quite some time to come...but one day, sure.

September 19, 2012 at 21:40 | Report abuse |
  14. eno1

Ok ... Francisco ... heres a thought ... Why not chopp that freeekin tree down in the beginning and .... puffff .... no more sins... But nnnnnnooooooo that wouldnt be fun ... for the fairy in the sky... now would id...

September 19, 2012 at 18:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • rswfire

LOL! That just got me thinking... Whatever happened to that tree? Can we go pick fruit off of it in the modern age?

September 19, 2012 at 21:41 | Report abuse |
    • mike

Yes, but God didn't invent an Axe so it would be blasphemous to use back in the day. It would require too much science and ingenuity from man, furthering our sins.

September 20, 2012 at 08:43 | Report abuse |
  15. eno1

Allah AHKBAR!!!!

September 19, 2012 at 18:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Now I'm Tormented

I am now fully tormented for having to view yet another person with problems who is not in the least bit attractive.

Ugly people's problems are not news.

Show me more beautiful people going crazy over bath salts and impending debt of Xmas 2012. This is what amuses me.

September 19, 2012 at 18:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Blackflag

You should definitely be the Managing Editor for CNN.com. You clearly understand what we are all looking for. If you get the job just remember one thing; the general public can never get enough news about conjoined twins. You remember that much and you'll be okay. Good luck, man.

September 19, 2012 at 18:59 | Report abuse |
    • Lori

This is no joke and for those of you that make fun of how he looks, sarcastic and unsympathetic I wonder why you would read this man’s story in the first place.

This is a real symptom that is life changing – it’s called PULSATILE TINNITUS, not Tinnitus. Those of us that have it experience a rhythmic whooshing, pulsing heartbeat like sound that is 24/7, and 365 days a year. Finding a cure is not cut and dry. Several doctors do not know how to treat us or even give us the test we give. We are suffering with this noise and glad this at least one person was able to find relief.

For those of you that have been diagnosed with Tinnitus like I was, you might really have Pulsatile Tinnitus and should look at a website http://www.whooshers.com

!

September 19, 2012 at 20:45 | Report abuse |
  17. Blackflag

What if his stomach rumbles? How will he know he is hungry? Being oblivious to one's own flatulence could also be a problem. We'll have to see how this all works out.

September 19, 2012 at 18:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Zulux

Lucky him. Expert always say "listen to your body." Plus, this is a lot better than being tormented by your wife just because of unexplained credit card charges in Vegas. I guess what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas except the freaking credit card charges. So it's a blessing when you can have a can of beans and be able to tune your wife out for a bit. I could imagine if you can get the diet right you can have the body play Bach for you or something....no?

September 19, 2012 at 18:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. susnfx

OMG, I have this! For years my ENT doctor put me through all kinds of tests to find out what was wrong. I can count my pulse just by sitting here listening. I can hear my eyes move and can't modulate my voice because I constantly feel like I'm shouting. I'm going to be on the phone tomorrow with my ENT! Hallalujah!!!!!!

September 19, 2012 at 19:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • coaster26

Best of luck!

September 19, 2012 at 20:34 | Report abuse |
    • Lori

Before you call your doctor get all the information that you need first. There is only one website that has information on Pulsatile Tinnitus – http://www.whooshers.com.
      Good luck with your doctors.

September 19, 2012 at 20:52 | Report abuse |
    • Kristen

EXACTLY my same situation! Had MRI/MRA, 2 hearing tests, and even had tubes put in my ears like little kids do, and I still had all the same symptoms. The specialist I saw decided to give me the diagnosis of Otosclerosis. Got home to ready more about it & discovered that none of my complaints were among those listed for otosclerosis. Thank God for this article. I, too, am calling my ENT tomorrow!

September 19, 2012 at 22:23 | Report abuse |
  20. Tyler

You can recreate this in your own body easily. Just block your ears with your thumbs, and you'll be able to hear thuds when you walk, your heartbeat, your lungs, your eyes and everything.

September 19, 2012 at 19:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • coaster26

Yeah, but it goes away when you move your hands, and, I suspect, it isn't as loud as it would be if the sound were amplified from inside. With your hands, you have a small air pocket between your ear drums and your fingers.

I can't imagine how awful it would be to hear my eyes move all the time. I know when I have a bad cold, I can hear my neck bones rub together, my eyes, my heart, and my poor breathing, and it drives me up the wall. I can't imagine hearing all that for years on end.

People who suffer from this must be among the sanest people around.

September 19, 2012 at 20:48 | Report abuse |
  21. TTommy

I hear that same grating sound, but I realized it's just our messiah Obama talking.

September 19, 2012 at 19:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Jennifer

A friend of mine suffered from pulsitive tinnitus for quite a while until one doctor recognized the problem. She then had successful surgery to correct the condition and says the difference has been amazing. So for anyone with the problem, there is hope!

September 19, 2012 at 19:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • whoosher

Thanks for sharing that, Jennifer. It's really easy for people to make fun of what they don't understand. Pulsatile tinnitus, unlike the regular, more common form of tinnitus, can often be treated. This is a real symptom with a real name and real patients -real people- suffer. I'm glad the man in this article and your friend have found relief and silence.

September 19, 2012 at 20:11 | Report abuse |
  23. Ann Percival

I hate sounds of all kinds! I wish I were deaf!

September 19, 2012 at 19:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. JRRinAtlanta

Too bad this guy didn't know how to use google. He probably could have had it properly diagnosed years ago. Happy that he got it resolved though.

September 19, 2012 at 19:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • coaster26

That doesn't always help. You can know exactly what the problem is, but without a doc that agrees, what *you* know can be pretty useless. I know a gal that suffered with every symptom of MS for 10 years but walked into the neuro office with just 1 blip in the brain part of the MRI and a large portion of the spine part obscured by artifacts from her metal in her back.

The Specialist didn't want to hear what she KNEW about her symptoms. He only looked at the MRI and said she didn't need to come back anymore. So she got smart and forgot what she *knew* about. Saw a different doc finally, and just presented her symptoms. Same MRI results, but is finally getting treatment instead of ignored.

September 19, 2012 at 20:44 | Report abuse |
  25. amac

There are some body sounds I wish I couldn't hear..... and I don't even have this condition.

September 19, 2012 at 19:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Jet

Masons did it...

September 19, 2012 at 19:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. sc

I say we lower his taxes to 0% and never utter a single complaining word about it. This man belongs among the patriotic portion of the 47%.

September 19, 2012 at 20:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. jan

Why does everything have to come to religion, race or politics.
    Im for one happy for him.
    Glad he found peace.

September 19, 2012 at 20:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. emd

I see death people

September 19, 2012 at 20:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Marlou Ordelt

I constantly hear the whooshing sound of blood passing thru my ears and my heart beating every waking moment. I tell Dr's that i can hear my heart beating in my head and they look at me like I am an alien. They dismiss my symptoms totally.....I would love to have a peaceful day and night. whoosh whoosh whoosh. Can anyone recommend a top notch Dr for me in Baltimore Maryland who'd be interested in treating me?

September 19, 2012 at 20:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • coaster26

Ask your primary care doc for a referral to someone who can treat Pulsatile tinnitus, tell him (or her) that you suspect that's been your problem all along but you just weren't very good at describing it in the past.

September 19, 2012 at 20:36 | Report abuse |
    • Rob

@coster – Sad truth is that if we do not advocate for ourselves, we get the brush off. If we do advocate for ourselves we get the brush off. Most doctors are all messed up and do not believe or even care about their patients. Yes, they will declare they care. But they tend to care about a small fraction of the total. Maybe only case book patients with case book symptoms.

September 19, 2012 at 20:57 | Report abuse |
    • Mark

In Baltimore, you have the nations best Dr. for treating this right there at Johns Hopkins. Make an appt with Dr.John Carey, he is the leading surgeon for fixing Superior Canal Dehiscence.

September 19, 2012 at 23:25 | Report abuse |
  31. Frank

What a great story!

September 19, 2012 at 20:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Rob

Glad he has been treated and recovered. Amazes me that Doctors don't bother to try and figure things out. The moment you walk out of the room, you do not exist. His wife figured out after 10 years! She should be paid the salary of a doctor!

September 19, 2012 at 20:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Will

Talk about an internal monologue.

September 19, 2012 at 21:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Beth

So happy for him!

September 19, 2012 at 21:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. ScottCA

Yeah I had an uncle who tormented everyone with bodily sounds every time he ate chilli.

September 19, 2012 at 21:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. str8whtguy

I love how so many are injecting religion into this. I wonder what the religious or anti-religious folks would think of the ingrown-toenail surgery I had when I was 17... Incidentally, the surgeon was Jewish, and I'm agnostic Catholic. Have fun!

September 19, 2012 at 21:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Suze

Oh my gosh! Seriously! How does this translate into a religious debate. O.M.F'in.G!

September 19, 2012 at 21:56 | Report abuse |
    • CAL

What is an agnostic catholic?

September 20, 2012 at 05:03 | Report abuse |
  37. Sebastian2

What a nightmare.
    Glad he was able to get relief. I could only imagine the torture that must've been. How did he sleep, I wonder? Probably just fell unconscious from exhaustion rather than ease into sleep as most do.

September 19, 2012 at 21:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. refugeek

Heart attacks and strokes are often misdiagosed, and people don't get treated in time. Maybe this mutation could have allowed him to hear these things happening inside his own body, so he could diagnose himself. Too late now.

September 19, 2012 at 21:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. fritz

I kinda know what this is all about. I don't think I have his problem but it's the reason I hate sleeping in dead silence. I can hear and feel all kinds of annoying sounds my body makes from stomach rumbles to the pounding of my heartbeats in my ears. I'ts hard to get to sleep with all that going on. My cure? I have a fan on high just a few feet away. The droning white noise it makes masks all those annoying sounds and sensations and lets me sleep like a dead guy. I can even zonk out with the TV on. Anything to make those body sounds less audible.

September 19, 2012 at 21:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CAL

I have a constant high pitched sound, I can't sleep without a fan going.

September 20, 2012 at 05:05 | Report abuse |
  40. jdoe

I am tormented by the sounds of my body too, usually after a big meal of Mexican food.

September 19, 2012 at 21:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. MysteriaKiito

I didn't have something this bad but I did get pulsatile tinnitus when the bone in my inner ear froze. After surgery it didn't go away immediately, but several months later it's finally gone. Before surgery I contemplated suicide so many times because hearing the constant whooshing of blood being pumped through my body was driving me over the edge. I can't imagine what this guy went through. Just the whooshing sounds kept me up all night long and it was so loud I couldn't hear anyone who talked to me in a normal tone of voice.

September 19, 2012 at 22:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. R Burns

Wow, I can really relate to this poor guy. Glad he's doing well now! Due to complications of lupus my ears have been permanently ventilated, for which I'm eternally grateful (there's your religious debate, for those so inclined. Let's not go off the deep end, please.) However, I use CPAP at night and sometimes it takes an hour to adjust everthing so I'm not kept awake by the whoosh and cold from air escaping through the little hole in the ear drum. Often, when inflammation is high, I have a grating squeak and pop with every breath-how annoying! Makes the sound of blinking eyes and the whistle from nose hairs when things are generally quiet seem dull in comparison. Peaceful sleep, everyone!

September 19, 2012 at 22:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Elmer

If i can hear the workings of my own body, that means I and anyone else in the room can smell those workings too. Or perhaps it's the dog.

September 19, 2012 at 22:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Me

Sometimes I get a blockage in my Eustachian tube in one ear and it amplifies my heart, voice, and breathing.

September 19, 2012 at 22:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Freelance

He must be one of those liberal Obama supporters..

September 19, 2012 at 22:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Newton's Apple

Amazing how many people pit science against faith... Standing on the shoulders of some of the worlds greatest scientists I can see that an overwhelming majority of those that really contributed something to science had a healthy belief in God... To bad so many of the numbnut commentators here don't respect them...

September 19, 2012 at 22:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Maryann

I was diagnosed with superior canal dehisence syndrome a couple of months ago. I have an appointment with a doctor at John's Hopkins that specializes in the research of scds. It is an awful thing to live with and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. Everything within your body is amplified, your breathing, heartbeat (which sounds like a base drum), your footsteps and the worst is hearing your eye movement. To copy the sound of the eye movement just take one of your fingers and lightly rub it against the cartilage right above your ear lobe. Now imagine costantly hearing that when you are trying to read. Another thing it affects is your equalibrium. Everytime I turn my head to fast I lose my balance and after awhile you become very nauseous. I know this sounds odd but i am so greatful that i was diagnosed with this because after awhile you think you're going crazy. At least now I know that it can be fixed. So hopefully my hearing will be back to normal very soon.

September 19, 2012 at 22:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. John

Really? They can cure this and can't make my Girlfriend stop snorring at night...

September 19, 2012 at 23:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Kevin

Imagine what it's like for people who suffer various degrees of mental illness who can't stand being in their own skin.

September 20, 2012 at 00:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Tired

When I was little, I used to hear the pillow "crunching" under my ear when I was trying to sleep. So I'd remove the pillow and lay on the mattress only to find that I could hear every movement I made and even my heartbeat loudly through the mattress. It was maddening! I tried to explain to my parents, to no avail-I'm sure my 3-year old vocabulary didn't help. I can only imagine what hearing your body must be like, especially for 10 years.

September 20, 2012 at 01:05 | Report abuse | Reply