home
RSS
Chemists create chocolate with half the fat
August 14th, 2012

Chemists create chocolate with half the fat

Chocoholics have been looking for the answer for years: Chocolate + ? = Cellulite-free thighs.

We just never thought chemists would be the ones to solve the equation.

Researchers in the United Kingdom have managed to cut the amount of fat needed to make chocolate in half, without losing any of the dessert’s delectable-ness. Their trade secrets were published in the Journal of Materials Chemistry this week.

The new chocolate formula contains small droplets of fruit juice, explains lead study author Dr. Stefan Bon. These droplets can replace up to 50% of the triglyceride fats found in cocoa butter and milk, similar to the way air bubbles reduce the density of Aero chocolate bars.

Apparently the optimal size for these bubbles is less than 30 micrometers – allowing the fat to be replaced without losing the proper chemical structure.

“It's the fat that gives chocolate all the indulgent sensations that people crave – the silky smooth texture and the way it melts in the mouth but still has a 'snap' to it when you break it with your hand,” Bon said in a press release. "We've found a way to maintain all of those things that make chocolate 'chocolatey' but with fruit juice instead of fat.”

Bon and his chemistry colleagues at the University of Warwick used a process called Pickering emulsion to infuse orange juice, cranberry juice and de-carbonated soft drinks into milk, dark and white chocolate.

(Emulsion is the mixing of two liquids that can’t be mixed – like oil and water. Pickering emulsion occurs when solid particles are added to keep the mixture in place, rather than having them separate out naturally.)

While the texture of the new product feels the same as regular chocolate, Bon told CNN in an e-mail, the taste is understandably a bit fruity. In the future scientists could use water with a small amount of vitamin C to replace the fruit juice flavor.

The study is just the first step to healthier chocolate - the food industry still needs to jump on board the fruit juice train.

“The process for introducing the droplets is easy,” Bon wrote. “It would be great if the technology will lead to new innovative chocolate-based products.”

1. dmadam

Great! Now we can eat more chocolate and get more sugar in our diet.

August 14, 2012 at 14:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • This is great

Chocolate usually contains added sugar. The fruit juice can replace some of that added sugar so that the total sugar content will stay the same. The researchers also say that water + vitamin C can be used in the future

August 15, 2012 at 07:16 | Report abuse |
    • Yolanda

Obama sent federal agents wearing masks into San Diego to terrorize law-abiding cancer patients and shut down all state sanctioned medical marijuana dispensaries and gave assault rifles to drug cartels. Obama is a thug.

August 15, 2012 at 11:00 | Report abuse |
    • Gina

Obama cut 700 billion dollars from Medicare. Obama is a terrorist.

August 15, 2012 at 11:24 | Report abuse |
    • Boo

Yolando....this is about chocolate....and you're a m o r o n.

August 15, 2012 at 13:40 | Report abuse |
    • Boo

Same goes for you Gina.....you're a m o r o n....and why don't you research why Obama cut Medicare funds? S t u p i d sheep.

August 15, 2012 at 13:41 | Report abuse |
    • Maria

Everything is about the election and nothing else matters. Medical Marijuana Patients have been betrayed and will vote accordingly in the 16 states where Obama practices bigotry and discrimination..

August 15, 2012 at 18:53 | Report abuse |
    • Steve

>> Chocolate usually contains added sugar. The fruit juice can replace some of that added sugar so that the total sugar content will stay the same.

No. Fruit juice contains fructose, which is the worst kind of sugar. At least the sucrose added to regular chocolate has glucose, which can be metabolized in more than just the liver.

The article is just all wrong, and the chemists who came up with this nonsense are wrong to demonize fat. Wake up people.

August 15, 2012 at 21:14 | Report abuse |
    • This is great

Steve: Fruit juice contains glucose, sucrose and fructose. In fact, orange juice contains about 25% glucose, 50% sucrose, and 25% fructose. High fructose corn syrups used in chocolates contain about 50% glucose and 50% fructose. But I think we are missing the point here. There are several unkowns, and without knowing the actual numbers in the final product it is pointless to debate about the effect of sugar. Also, if the researchers manage to replace fruit juice with Water + vitamin C, then at the very least, the sugar content should stay the same

Also, a chocolate with 50% less fat without compromising taste and texture is a great achievement. There are plenty of sources of fat in today's world. It is upto the individual to pick and choose, and i think this chocolate will be a great choice. There is no right or wrong amount of fat in a chocolate, it depends on how you make it.

Lastly, moderation is the key. Anything in excess is not good.

August 18, 2012 at 01:48 | Report abuse |
    • animatumhistorice

This is so backwards... it's not the fat that is unhealthy – it's the sugar. Sugar is toxic, causes weight gain, metabolic dysfunction, and systemic inflammation, while on the other hand most saturated fats are a healthy source of clean-burning energy for the body.

August 21, 2012 at 18:09 | Report abuse |
  2. Portland tony

Chocolate consumption does not cause "cellulite". Although there are literally thousands of products that claim to reduce the dimpling of fatty areas around the thighs and associated body parts, none have been scientifically proven to work. The dimpling is more
    visible in overweight persons, but the main cause of so-called cellulite is hereditary and lack of exercise may exacerbate its appearance. So ladies, 90% of you will have dimpled spots somewhere at some age just because you are women (your physical makeup and heredity ), So enjoy a little dark chocolate without guilt.

August 14, 2012 at 14:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Liz

Portland Tony,

Right on, in all you say.

A lady who loves real chocolate - and is still darling

August 14, 2012 at 16:12 | Report abuse |
    • Donnie the Lion

I've lost quite a bit of weight, about 22 pounds, and still eat small portions of dark chocolate every day. I cut out soft drinks, fried food, most carbs, and try to eat as much organic food as possible. I exercise about 15-20 minutes a day, my doctor says I should double that amount. I look like I did 15 years ago, but with more muscle mass. And the dark chocolate is good for my heart, in moderation.

August 15, 2012 at 13:24 | Report abuse |
  3. Bill

It’s cocoa butter, not trans fats. And they replace it with high fructose corn syrup? Regular dark chocolate is good for the gut bacteria (http://caloriesproper.com/?p=1583); I wonder if the added sugar will negate those beneficial effects.

August 14, 2012 at 14:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • justathought

Where did you get high fructose corn syrup from in this article? They said they replaced fat with fruit juice. Fruit juice does not have HFCS unless it is added to it.

August 15, 2012 at 13:06 | Report abuse |
    • Donnie the Lion

The de-carbonated soft drinks would (likely) have high fructose corn syrup unless they were more organic. The orange juice or cranberry juice sound like much better options. I am a chocolate/orange combination fan so I am totally on board with this.

August 15, 2012 at 13:26 | Report abuse |
  4. Leo

"We just never thought chemists would be the ones to solve the equation."

Seriously? You thought it WOULDN'T be chemists? The ONLY people who would crack that nut would be chemists! Food science is chemistry. You didn't think some pastry chef with no background in chemistry is going to figure that out, did you?

YAY SCIENCE!

August 14, 2012 at 15:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ScienceRocks

I agree, it's sad to see how little respect and understanding the public has toward science. Little does the public know, scientists and engineers are the ones secretly trying to solve all the problems and not-so problems like this LOL. Yay science!

August 14, 2012 at 22:07 | Report abuse |
    • brian888

It is God who created our food supply in its natural form. It is chemists who have adulterated the natural food and morphed them into unhealthy products.

YAY GOD!

August 18, 2012 at 16:10 | Report abuse |
    • Chemist

It's the contributions of chemists which have allowed us to slow food spoilage (fighting hunger) and eliminated many food and water born diseases (created by God?). Not to mention chemists (such as myself) who spend their lives producing medicinal substances which fight all sorts of other naturally occuring diseases, disorders, and illnesses.

Yay science!

August 30, 2012 at 14:39 | Report abuse |
  5. Carrie

No thanks.

August 14, 2012 at 16:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. highantioxidantchocolate

Cnn seems to always have these similar reports, yet there is already a Healthy Chocolate that exists. At least it helps with the general awareness that cocoa when kept as pure as possible is amazingly healthy! http://www.HealthyChocolateTruth.com

August 14, 2012 at 16:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Jennifer

Awesome!

August 14, 2012 at 22:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. jkofron44

I am sure it tastes as good as fondant, or that sugar paper you can print images on. http://bit.ly/NjRZOT

August 14, 2012 at 22:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. jelly

What a load of rubbish...they've just replaced it with sugar...sugar is stored as fat after you eat it anyway!!!!

August 14, 2012 at 22:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. stearic acid

Ugh! The fat in chocolate is what is good for you. People should be replacing the sugar in their chocolate with – wait for it – more chocolate or more accurately cocoa. Eat 70% or higher with more fat and less sugar and good to go. Another example of industrialization of our food and the negative health effects. So anyone that thinks this is a good thing is wrong.

August 14, 2012 at 23:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. student

Sounds delicious! Will it have a lower calorie count or will the fat just be replaced by carbs?

August 15, 2012 at 02:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. larry5

They were worried that the mayor of New York would come after them, next.

August 15, 2012 at 05:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Vincent Demonbreun

Chemists and food do not mix. A food with natural fat contains healthy fat such as nuts and avocados. This sounds like another way to push GMO's into food.

August 15, 2012 at 07:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Ben

FAT IS NOT BAD FOR US! In fact, a big part of the nutrition of chocolate comes from the fat.

August 15, 2012 at 08:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Rainyday

Mocklate, anyone?

August 15, 2012 at 09:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Michael

Poor article! If health is the goal, then maybe it should have addressed some basic health assumptions. I am not sure adding more sugar to chocolate has ANY health benefits whether it lowers calories or not. Fruit juice is just a way of adding sugar to products. Also, I am surprised that the article did not address Cocoa content. Does this process change that seems like an important question.

CNN's prize Sanjay Gupta did just did a 60 minutes special focusing on sugar as a toxin that might be a major direct cause of Heart Disease and Cancer.

Mixed messages? Or is a fruity, slightly lower calories snickers our goal?

August 15, 2012 at 09:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Tamara R.

@Rainyday – so funny! I was thinking the same thing! What was it about the after taste? It will last you till Christmas?

August 15, 2012 at 09:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Jean

YES! The slogan finally comes true: "Better living through chemistry."

August 15, 2012 at 10:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Victor

Not to be a stick in the mud...but the problem is not choclate it is eating too much of it. One small chochlate of any type (normal or reduced fat) will be absoltely fine as a nice treat. However, if you gorge on it, or eat candy by the bag, it's going to be a problem. Just do things in moderation and you'll be fine.

August 15, 2012 at 11:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Heather

Please define "moderation". There is a lot of room between one small chocolate and a whole bag. One small chocolate seems like a lot less than "moderation" to me, it sounds more like "a tiny bit." And how many episodes per day of one small chocolate still counts as "moderation"? Until "moderation" is defined, "Just do things in moderation and you'll be fine" is pretty useless.

August 15, 2012 at 11:39 | Report abuse |
    • xinechan

I eat lots of things in moderation. Chocolate, movie popcorn. For me it means being aware of how many calories I can consume in a day without gaining weight. Everyday I sit down and work out my planned calories in and make sure I get enough fiber, protein and vitamins using a free website. If breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack meet my nutrient needs and I have left over calories I am allowed to have chocolate or anything else I like. I weigh myself daily and maintain a spreadsheet and daily food log. I think it would be more honest to admit up front that "in moderation" really means "take responsibility for yourself and know your body". Some people need to put more thought into the process then others but recommending people to eat in moderation is still a good tip.

August 16, 2012 at 17:24 | Report abuse |
  20. t3chsupport

Unless the calories are less, the fat content doesn't really matter much.

August 15, 2012 at 11:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. jecd

If you're going to eat chocolate you may as wel eat the good quality stuff and shun the rest – it's garbage and tastes like it.
    Swiss and Italian choclates are the best and are made with better ingredients. DO NOT put high fructose corn syrup in MY chocolate!!

August 15, 2012 at 11:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Thriver

I just received my shnmepit of Beyond Organic foods and beverages today, also! I had to laugh when I read your post, because the first thing I tried was a piece of the dark chocolate wow! AMAZINGLY SCRUMPTUOUS! I have eaten dark chocolate with flax before and haven't been impressed, but this chocolate is devine! I am so glad I signed up under you as a Mission Marketer. I think it's great that Jordan is bringing this nutritous food to all of us through Mission Marketing instead of health food stores. So many people don't have access to a good health food store or a farmer where they can get this kind of food. I look forward to more of your posts as you sample each product.

September 11, 2012 at 15:32 | Report abuse |
    • Leah

It's not that good. You would be better off going to a super makert and purchase one of those cake mixes (Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker) They have been around a long time and it works. You would be surprised how many cake makers use mix.

September 13, 2012 at 23:55 | Report abuse |
  22. UncleJohn

Chocolate is made of a cocoa bean (a vegetable), beet, cane or corn sugar (all vegetables) and vegetable oil (um, a vegetable), ergo:

Chocolate is a vegetable!

Ever since I figured that out, I've been getting my six veggies a day for the first time in my life.

August 15, 2012 at 13:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Dimples

We need more fats in our diets and wait for it...............far far less sugars, they did the opposite of what would be good.

August 15, 2012 at 16:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Chocolate Lover

Chemical Chocolate.

Yum! Just what we've been waiting for!

August 15, 2012 at 17:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Wayne J

This really is a great advance for future new chocolate candies. Get the pots out and start brewing. Here now is Chocowi the new chocolate-kiwi bar. I can't imagine all the other new flavors that might pop up.

August 15, 2012 at 19:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Jennifer (confirmed chocoholic)

Somehow the phrase "chemists create chocolate" makes me not want to try it!

August 15, 2012 at 23:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. mens nike air max 2012

Hello there. I ran across your current blog site your online. A great report. I will make sure to save this as well as go back to get more info of one's helpful information. Thank you for your post. it will certainly come back. mens nike air max 2012

August 16, 2012 at 11:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. angel

i'd rather have a little REAL chocolate-we need to teach our children that we can have "treats" in moderation-nothing will ever take the place of real cholocate!!!!! It is when we eat too much of it or anything else for that matter, that it becomes a health issue!!!!! so keep it real!!!! I LOVE CHOCOLATE!!!! one little piece each day keeps the doctor away! lol!!!! again, all in moderation-especially sweets!

August 16, 2012 at 13:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. jillmarie

Sounds great to me! I know everyone's critical of this, but I say in moderation, this would be very tasty and a treat. I'd love to know the calorie difference. Dark chocolate would be best. I'll be on the lookout for this! Plus, the fruit juice could potentially add some antioxidants.

August 16, 2012 at 14:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. hoobie

If we keep taking all the stuff that can kill us out of our food, what will make us stronger?

August 16, 2012 at 14:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Katie

Don't mess with my chocolate. Haven't chemists done enough to food?

August 16, 2012 at 15:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Just sayin'

Suddenly: Anal leakage.

August 16, 2012 at 15:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Jon

Yikes! More GMO food, I'll take dark chocolate as is.

August 17, 2012 at 00:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. R Burns

I haven't met a manipulated product yet that doesn't cause some unpleasant side effect! My body, especially, was invented for pure and natural. Tasty and doesn't bite back! I'll stick with the original, thanks.

August 17, 2012 at 12:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Anna

I thought it was common knowledge by now that fruit juice contains the same amount of sugar as a soft drink. So they are replacing the cocoa butter in chocolate with more sugar and claiming it is "healthier"? Isn't "low fat" eating dead yet?

August 19, 2012 at 17:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. mark

If only the fat in "real" chocolate was bad for you.... When will the rest of the world wake-up and realize that fat is good for you? I eat 70% and higher dark-chocolate every day.

August 20, 2012 at 09:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. RG

Awesome! I love chocolate, and its nice to know that scientist were able to cute half the fat without minimizing taste. Besides being a great dessert, chocolate is a great antioxidant and studies suggest that it can also lower blood pressure. Natural Standard's an authority in integrative medicine, has a great monograph that shows multiple benefits of eating chocolate besides its great taste.

Note: These postings are my own and do not necessarily represent Natural Standard’s positions, strategies or opinions

August 31, 2012 at 15:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Debbi

The coffee shop in the Towson Baltimore County Public Libarary. It is rdlciuiousy good. They won a few best coffee awards in recent publications, and rightfully so

September 11, 2012 at 19:11 | Report abuse | Reply