home
RSS
July 30th, 2012

Your thoughts: Plastic surgery for bullied kids

Would you allow your kids to change their appearance because they are being bullied? Does giving these children plastic surgery send the wrong message - or the right one? Watch Dr. Sanjay Gupta's special report and share your thoughts below!

1. tanya schultheis

absolutely not! i was bullied and teased all through high school. do parents actually consider this?

July 30, 2012 at 15:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kit

Of course they do. My son had a procedure done when he was 13. My insurance would not pay for it because it was considered cosmetic. I took out a loan that I am still paying off 4 years later but I do not regret doing it and would do it again in a minute. Why would you not help your child avoid being bullied for something that can be fixed

July 30, 2012 at 16:32 | Report abuse |
    • Manish Gupte, PhD

Is this Gupta guy even sane? A talkative person is now so calm and measured! In India ears like that are a sign of intelligence. I mean, debasing some one that way only dulls the spirit. From the little economics I have seen this kind of bullying can be easily done away simple clever thinking. Use a "maka-nizam (mechanism)" and then do "Nash"..it's better than a punch..

July 30, 2012 at 22:49 | Report abuse |
    • steve

Pros: kid feels better about themselves, is not bullied anymore, could lead to greater self esteem, most likely happier, possibly more successful in life, can focus more on school rather than being bullied

Cons: cant go on a website in 20 years and proudly say they were bullied are "just fine"

lol seems like a real tough choice there. its 2012, take advantage of what we have. i.e. modern medicine and surgery

July 31, 2012 at 13:50 | Report abuse |
    • Manish Gupte, PhD

Steve:
      Cost benefit when the world is ending in 2012!! Does anyone remember Pavaroti's last opera?

July 31, 2012 at 17:06 | Report abuse |
  2. sarah

why would you do that how can anyone love themselves for who they are when you send the message " hey someone doesn't like something about me so i will go change it. not for me but cause someone doesn't like me"

July 30, 2012 at 15:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Lisa

I'd be more curious how the bullied who undergo cosmetic surgery treat others like themselves who haven't had cosmetic surgery.

July 30, 2012 at 15:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. reah

This is nothing new; the only thing new about it is blaming these surgeries on bullying. My 42-year old cousin had his ears pinned back as an infant because they were huge. His parents and doctors knew that the surgery would bring him back into the "normal" range rather than him always being noticed because of his ears. Is this so wrong? It's nice that there is a foundation to help kids who don't have the money for these surgeries, but the basic practice of "adjusting" anomalies has been around for decades.

July 30, 2012 at 15:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JCR

Agreed – more than decades, centuries at the very least. Some features are desirable because they are the norm, some, like smooth skin and symmetry, likely out of basic human instinct. We can temper human nature to accept a range of variation, but we will never beat truly change humanity in our lifetimes. Asking someone to live with ears that stick out to the point of ridicule is no different than asking them to live with severe acne or disfiguing scars – it's unecessary cruelty.

July 30, 2012 at 16:26 | Report abuse |
  5. Jan

Absolutely, I would, and did for my daughter. She had big ears and was teased for them. We did not consider it bullying back in the early 80's. She is a lovely young woman and she has a wonderful outlook on life. My granddaughter has big ears and I really hope that her father will offer her surgery, as well. For those who say it sends the wrong message, I would suggest that using makeup, tweezing eyebrows, styling one's hair, and wearing a bra are in the same context: it is changing one's appearance.

July 30, 2012 at 15:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cbtx67

But Jan, your daughter could have died under the knife. I have facial scarring due to a birth injury and my mother had me have 4 plastic surgeries, not at my request, but at her attempt at making me look more "normal". Needless to say, it didn't work. I guess plastic surgery in the mid 80's wasn't that great. What it did leave me with was the feeling that I was never going to be good enough for my mother. That there MUST be something wrong with me if my mom is trying to fix me, whether that be from surgery or growing my hair long to cover some of the damage, endless pictures to see if I had a "good" side. The bullying at school didn't bother me,but my mom's opinion of me still bothers me 23 years after her death. It affected every relationship after that. I have a great husband now, six kids, and you know what? They don't treat me different, and they treat others that are "different" with compassion and stick up for them when others bully them. Perhaps that was the whole reason for my birth injury. That's how I choose to see it anyway.

July 31, 2012 at 11:54 | Report abuse |
  6. sean

If you child is a victim. Teach them how to stand up for themselves. Surgery seems a little extreme, however, if money is no problem and you do not approve of violence or conflict resolution then it is an option.

July 30, 2012 at 15:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. chell

When do they start doing liposuction for obese children who are picked on? I don't know how I feel about this and I know there is a big difference in what I just said and someone with big ears. I think the solution lies in teaching children to accept differences in people and respecting others.

July 30, 2012 at 15:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Luciana

This is horrific and unbelieveable....let us "fix" the way a person looks so that they are not bullyed anymore. This is the worst solution that I have ever heard of. What happened to acceptance, be yourelf, be unique, love your self for who you are and that beauty starts from within. Let's just perform plastic surgery on young people so that they will not be harrassed anymore.....reality is that young people are bullyed for ANYTHING and that the solution is ZERO TOLERANCE for bullying. That is the best solution to educate young people that bullying is unacceptable and that it has serious consequences. Its HARASSMENT! I am in disbelief that an organization like this exists and that parents are buying into this. I will love to see what happens when these young people get these extreme makeovers and the bully finds one more thing to harass them about and if it ever truly ends. It is a society that values looks and beauty as the only attribute that matters. It is not intelligence or personality or being an honest good person. WOW I am just in shock and disgusted. I work with young people educating them about self-esteem, body image, assertiveness, body based harassement, media literacy and to me I think these are the topics that build resiliancy not plastic surgery!

July 30, 2012 at 15:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • gotacomment

I had heavy scarring from a hemiangioma that developed when i was 3 days old. I went through childhood and early adolescence being called "firelip" (the ignoramuses thought they were burn scars), being told no one wanted to play with me because I was too ugly and hearing suggestions that I should make the world a better place by killing myself. Try rising above that. (I managed, but it sure wasn't easy.) We're not talking a little harmless banter here. We're talking about a deep-seated, malicious desire on the part of some junior-grade psychopaths to humiliate and wound. I agree that they're far sicker than the person they're tormenting, but that doesn't help. Who knows where it comes from or why it exists? It doesn't matter. What matters is whatever can be done to help eliminate the abnormality that gives rise to this should be undertaken as soon as possible. Don't give the vermin any more advantages than they already have. Every child deserves a chance to start on as close to an equal footing as possible.

July 30, 2012 at 16:28 | Report abuse |
    • rose

Children are very cruel to other children. If you can fix it why not? You will never change other people but you can make your child feel better and more confident.

July 30, 2012 at 20:35 | Report abuse |
    • DS

I have to agree with you. Self Esteem is the key. I am in my 40s and I have been taking Martial Arts for two years, the self-esteem issues I had of my younger years are gone. I was bullied in school for different things over the years. If a child has self-esteem it will not matter what someone says to them, and they know how to deal with the situation. They learn what to say and what to do when they are faced with a bully. And I am not saying to fight. I am saying they know how to turn the statements against the bullies. Just something to consider if you have never taken Martial arts I truly suggest it. Well worth the time and money. If someone has the money to pay for plastic surgery they have money to pay for martial arts. TRUST me it is not that expensive.

Just as a side question what would have happened if during this surgery this girl would have died. Would the parents have regretted getting this surgery for the girl? Would the surgery been more important than the girl’s life? I personally would not take that chance of losing my children. Luckily the girl did not die.

July 31, 2012 at 09:45 | Report abuse |
  9. BARBARA LEE

Um, no. First of all not everybody can afford that option. Second of all I have seen beautiful, smart people get bullied. Plastic surgery is not the answer. People need to mind their own business and leave people alone. Why the hell should I care about how some other chick looks? It has nothing to do with me at all. I keep my mind on taking care of MYSELF. I don't care what other people do, or how they look. If its working for them, then so be it. Bullies need to be dealt with and not with plastic surgery either. Most of them are psychos with issues to begin with. They don't really care about how people look. They just get of on being terrorists. Plastic surgery is not going to stop a psycho.

July 30, 2012 at 16:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JCR

"Second of all I have seen beautiful, smart people get bullied. "

Yes, but far, far less often.

July 31, 2012 at 16:17 | Report abuse |
  10. Mave

I think this is horrible. Teach kids self-esteem. Punish those that bully. I feel like this world has gone astray. This is not a new thing...we all survived.

July 30, 2012 at 16:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • rose

Punish the bullies but fix the problem. Sorry, but I think that children don't have what it takes to stand tall and defend themselves.

July 30, 2012 at 20:39 | Report abuse |
    • Deb

Sorry Mave, but your answer is so naive and simplistic. As a psychologist I see both sides of this argument. On the one hand, it is important to support our children, bolster their self-esteem, teach them conflict resolution skills, and stand up for one another. However on the other hand, as a society we make choices all the time that change or correct our appearances as others have said- like make-up, haircuts, braces, laser eye surgery and plastic surgery for scars. I struggle with this one because I both have a child who has bigger ears and I worry about what he will face when he becomes school-aged, but I don't want to give him the wrong message either because I believe he is perfect just the way he is. I am not certain yet which way I will go on this because I believe a decision like this takes years of careful consideration. I think to pretend that this issue is a simple one is to fail to see that in life there are more grey areas than black and white ones.

One final comment for Mave- you said bullying is not new and "we all survived." In fact "we" did not all survive. Children are taking their own lives due to the torment of bullying. Broken bones may heal, but the scars left by vial words sometimes never do.

July 31, 2012 at 12:15 | Report abuse |
  11. JCR

I think some folks here are living in a fantasy. While most life changes (lottery wins, a new car, or even the birth of a child) bring only fleeting happiness study after study finds that plastic surgery is one of the few things that does in fact bring a lasting increase in happiness. How we matter looks. A lot. And no, for the record, I haven't had any plastic surgery...but I wouldn't deny it of anyone to whom it might bring happiness.

July 30, 2012 at 16:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Winter

this is just ridiculous. so we have a cute kid who is teased because she has big ears. instead of working to give her better self-esteem and to see physical "beauty" as being the LEAST important of factors that define a person, the goal of this non-profit is to cut them up?

July 30, 2012 at 16:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Tom

I really hate to say this but she does look allot better. I wish I had money back then to have a nose job. I had to wait till I was 25 to be able to afford it. To be truthful I do pick up more women with my new nose. LOL

July 30, 2012 at 16:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. lmew

I totally agree with it. I had an awful underbite when I was young and I was constantly teased in school and I was extremely shy. It was awful. I'm in my 30's now and thinking about still makes me want to cry. I had no friends in school. Even my cousin didn't want to talk to me in school since everyone else was avoiding me. Then in 8th grade my father said I couldn't see him until I turned 18. I was a wreck. My awesome step dad paid for jaw surgery for me since insurance wouldn't cover it. My jaw went back to a little bit of an underbite, and sometimes I am still self conscious about it, but it makes it a lot easier to talk to people not having such a massive underbite. If all a person can think about is what is wrong with them and they constantly have people making fun of them for it, their self esteem probably won't improve.

July 30, 2012 at 17:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Tom

What the heck happened to the boob job girl? You forgot the most important item!

July 30, 2012 at 17:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • James Pickett

Idiot....

July 31, 2012 at 10:01 | Report abuse |
  16. NG

I think plastic surgery for a birth defect is one thing and acceptable... but for big ears, big nose or a crooked chin?? These are not defects; these are the features of her face! Promoting plastic surgery to bullied kids is definitely sending the wrong message to the next generation. "If someone makes fun of you – change yourself to fit what others deem is worthy. It's not their problem – it's YOUR problem for not being 'pretty'."

July 30, 2012 at 17:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. angela

People have changed so much in the last decade. Now bullying has come to the point of actual physical harm to some children. The mental scars are horrible as well. If getting "minor" cosmetic surgery will help go get it. It's easy to say for a child to learn to deal with difficulties in life. We are not the child.

July 30, 2012 at 17:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Felicia

People on the outside looking in can debate all they want, but they aren't living it. Ask these kids if they feel better about themselves and their lives after surgery. That's really all that matters. You can teach self esteem all you want but if you are teased and bullied every day it will all go out the window. People want to be accepted especially when they are young. I think it's a great idea.

July 30, 2012 at 19:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Shaneal

yes i do think it send the right message. my son was bullued when he was in kundergarten. and there have been times when he came home and said if only I
    was this and that they would leave me alone. and it broke my heart. so yeah i am all for it.

July 30, 2012 at 19:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Andrew

As a young man who was bullied because of my large ears in school, I completely agree with allowing bullied children to get plastic surgery. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look and feel better – like the otoplasty in this video. However, there is a problem when surgeons and other people try to push additional surgery on children – like the nose and chin procedures. There is a big difference between wanting to not be teased and chasing "perfection".

July 30, 2012 at 20:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Dr. B

@Andrew: ITA. The surgeon went too far. Just fix the problem and leave the rest. The deviated septum is legit, because that causes a lot of problems down the line. But the chin? Too much. I'm also concerned that since people don't stop growing until their early 20's that surgery at younger ages might be premature. Pinning the ears back is fine, but other facial surgery before growth stops is not a good idea, imho.

July 30, 2012 at 20:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Beth Erickson

this is can of worms time-"I need a new nose-they"re bullying me" turns into "I need a boob job, they're bullying me" turns into who knows what-we're raising a nation of spoiled kids who will not consider actually trying to solve the problem themselves, instead of whining for a quick fix.

July 30, 2012 at 21:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Merifr

My daughter developed bad acne at the age of 13. We tried a number of topical treatments as well as 2 antibiotics that did not even make a dent in it. Much to my dismay, I moved forward with Accutane, which cleared her skin beautifully. We did this because 3 teenage boys were telling her she should kill herself because she was so ugly. Talking to the children's parents did no good as they failed to accept their children's behavior. I think we live in a world where children are not reprimanded for bad behavior and self esteem is beat down by others. Horrible children will always draw attention to outward abnormalities. This will always be the norm. If children have a chance to feel good about themselves with programs like these, this is their chance to be able to rise above.

July 30, 2012 at 21:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. bibleverse1

Love yourself and your neighbor and nothing anyone can say will hurt you.

July 30, 2012 at 22:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Amber

HELL NO!!!

July 31, 2012 at 03:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Samantha

Oh gawd. That RIDICULOUS! You might as well tell your kids "Why yes you are ugly let's go fix your face up"

July 31, 2012 at 03:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sierrathomas

My thoughts exactly
      Pretty messed up to have you're parents somewhat agree with the bully instead of being a good parent by teaching self esteem and tolerance. I have the money but would Never pay for any plastic surgery of any kind. Bullies have always been around, and they always will be, stop being so weak people.

July 31, 2012 at 10:54 | Report abuse |
    • Ann2323

No not at all. I think you are missing the point, these are anomalies not simply unattractiveness as a whole. Also, many of the parents make sure the kid is doing it for themselves first and not just because bullying.

July 31, 2012 at 11:53 | Report abuse |
    • Teena

Ann2323: This girl was not born with a cleft lip, with an extra nose, or with a growth from her eye. Those are anomalies. This girl simply had ears that stuck out.
      This is absolutely sending the wrong message to our youth. And this is all coming from a 19 year old girl (me). I understand that bullying is tough, I've been there. I understand that it's too naive and idealistic to try to create a world without bullying, but to let yourself or your child for that matter, shape themselves in response to society and perceived norms? That is wrong.

July 31, 2012 at 13:54 | Report abuse |
  27. hernandez

They should do that for grown ups not just kids like,myself am big busted and i mean big too big for the size of,my body i have insurance but i dont have the money to get a reduction and it sucks,my back kills me everyone makes comment they must be fake then im like no sorry there mine

July 31, 2012 at 04:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. robin

was bullied most of my life had what they call buck teeth it was terrible i hated going to school or anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I as a adult hate bullies and shame on them!!! If surgery help more power to them!!!

July 31, 2012 at 04:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Eileen

I was bullied at school for a severe overbite and felt very self conscious about it. After two years in braces, teeth extractions and pain I had a beautiful smile. It was like a huge burden off my soul. You can argue the pros and cons if you want but I don't fault the parents whatsoever.

July 31, 2012 at 08:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Coni Patrick

Absolutely, get the fix! The constant picking can eat away every bit of a child's confidence. Criticism from peers is one hundred times more powerful than anything a parent can say. It could be the difference in the person's achievement for his entire lifetime. I speak from experience.
    GET HELP for a suffering child. Fix the ears, the nose, the teeth, the cleft palate, whatever... do it ASAP!

July 31, 2012 at 08:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Darth

Here's a different approach...take the bully, give them plastic surgery to match their victim, and then see how they appreciate being bullied. But otherwise, I have no objections to parents 'fixing' their kids. Bullies come in all ages, and they don't change as adults. Look to yourselves when you comment on a celebrity gaining or losing a little weight and rushing to judgment.

July 31, 2012 at 09:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. James Pickett

Bullying MUST stop.... A "Get Tough" approach needs to be enacted where bullies, both School, as well as Cyber, should be held totally responsible for thier actions. It would be easy to say, "just put the Bully in General Population for 1 night.... " 🙂 Why not? They're going to end up there anyways! I witnessed Bullying in the 70's, and my friends and I formed a Group, GANG if you'd like, to take up for the unfortunate victims of these punks. Both male and females were dealt with on OUR terms... Bullying STOPPED at our school! Ban together kids..... Start opening cans of Whoop Ass, and I can assure you, they'll ment away like ice in the sun....

July 31, 2012 at 09:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Caila

I can't agree. What happened to encouraging our kids to love themselves the way God made them? How would this actually stop bullying now that she/he would have to deal with being teased about getting the surgery done? I am a parent of 2 boys and dont get me wrong not trying to start an arguement but before considering undergoing the knife what did you do to try and prevent his or her bullying from happening? Did you talk to teachers, the Principal, have a face to face sit down with parents and children involved? No one is really fixing the problem all I see is (like a friend of mine put it) a cookie cutter society.

July 31, 2012 at 09:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JCR

"I can't agree. What happened to encouraging our kids to love themselves the way God made them?"

It was a nice idea, but didn't work as a stand-alone cure. Time to move on to answers that do work.

July 31, 2012 at 16:15 | Report abuse |
  34. hockeygirl71

THIS is what we are teaching our kids? 'Just Look like everyone else sweetheart and you'll be liked. If someone doesnt like who you are, no problem, we'll just cut here, nip there and be exactly what everyone else wants us to be." This is terrifying! My question is, how does this story end? The bullies now see how beautiful she is and all rush to be her new BFFs? Not likely. Or maybe they taunt her even more because they were able to affect her so much, she was willing to do something drastic to appease them. My money is on scenario 2. Then what?

July 31, 2012 at 10:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Just me

I agree with your statement completely. That's the first thing I thought of after seeing this, now she will go to school this fall and these bullies will attack her even worse. They will still find something to pick one her for no matter what, bullies are relentless. She wasn't the problem they are.

July 31, 2012 at 12:13 | Report abuse |
  35. Sam

My younger sister had her ears pinned back when she was about 6 or 7 yrs old. She started developing a phobia of having her hair in a ponytail because kids were teasing her about her ears sticking out too much. This issue was resolved as soon as the healing was complete, no more phobias! She's 13 now and not once has she suggested changing anything else, it's not like us older folks who become addicted to the stuff. I think some people are gettting the wrong idea about this, from these posts it sounds like people are imaging a full blown makeover. The people who have done this would probably agree it's usually one or two things that are corrected.

July 31, 2012 at 11:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Lisa

I m sorry for the kids that are being bullied but I don't think that plastic surgery is the answer.Kids born with cleft palates and lips I think surgery is required for health, eating, and breathing difficultes.But its ridiculious for a child or the parents of these children rather to allow a plastic procedure on their child when they dont even know if when they grow up thier features will assymetricize.I mean I think every parent should believe thier chid is beautiful.Furthermore i think parents should be responsible for instilling good self esteem in thier children. Because if even your parents believe something is wrong with you by allowing the surgery then what else is the child to think but believe it must be true....just sayin

July 31, 2012 at 11:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Kelly

I can appreciate this organization for fixing cleft pallets and actual deformities, and even the fact that they provide counseling for bullied victims, but I see nothing wrong in that 'before' picture. Bullying can be hard, I acknowledge that. I was bullied in middle school... But part of growing up is learning how to accept and embrace your appearance. Moreso, your features change when you grow, so doing surgery like a nose job on a young child just doesn't make sense? Perhaps that nose would better suit her face when she got older? I don't even see a problem with her nose. This is a weird excuse to not deal with the problem, the bully. Plastic surgery is sending a different message to children, 'don't worry about your appearance, we'll just change it for you.'

July 31, 2012 at 12:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Jorge

Better yet, bullies should recieve free BRAIN surgery, perhaps partial lobotomies or pinpoint shock treatments to attenuate their sociopathic behavior. I can't believe that come the 21st century, so many people cannot teach their descendancy basic behavior skills and urbanity. If you can make a kid and you can't do that, you are no better than a beast.

July 31, 2012 at 12:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Peter

nonsense...what if my child is gay? should I took him/her under my arm and go to doctor asking him about "fix"?? Stupid!! It's not a proble if you are not "perfect" – you can accept self. It's a problem because people tell you "that is", not because it really is 😉

July 31, 2012 at 12:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Dan

Great, nothing better than teaching the kids that the bully is right... yup, there's something wrong with them that needs to be fixed!! Wow, I love this society! Ignorant stupidity is such wonderful fuel for entertainment when you have children raising children!

July 31, 2012 at 12:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Mary

OMG!!! why is everything such a big deal these days!!! what we need is better parents!! Parents that know whats going on in their kids lives what they are doing and that discipline them when needed, that’s what’s wrong with our kids today lack of parenting, thus will stop the bulling. If my child had a physical deformity and i can fix it with surgery why not??? This does not mean i love my child less or think less of them. If your kid was sick would you take him to the doctors???? Yes!!! Well it’s the same thing i would do it not because of bullying but because it’s my child and I would want the best for them.

July 31, 2012 at 12:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. jack

What people need to realize is that children are not stupid. If you think a 12-16 year old child cannot understand the ideas about whether this right or wrong than you need to get with the times. Do whats right for them for sure, but also make damn sure you know what they want to do, because in the end its all about them and what they want, not what you want.

July 31, 2012 at 12:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Lauri

I have no problem with doing things to help self esteem, healthy lifestyles, or correcting or enhancing physical aspects of their appearance, so long as THEY benefit from the changes. The "IDEA" that there is something wrong with a person, based on how they look, dress, or their interest, is what needs to be corrected! We do NOT need a cookie cutter society....we need a society that accepts and appreciates diversity.

July 31, 2012 at 12:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Josie

I was bullied in high school, and it very much formed who I am now (22) I live with depression and social anxiety, and can understand the stress bullying puts on young people – and really people of any age – especially when it zero's in on one feature. It's hard to love yourself when no one else does.

Her wanting to get her ears pinned back is fair enough, even at the young age she did it, but her reasoning should have been looked at by a psychologist before she was allowed to go through with it, as it seems she did it more for people's perception of her rather than for herself.

The most problematic thing here was that doctor making suggestions on HER features and commenting on what HE likes chins to look like. She would not have thought to change those features had he not pointed them out, and the changes to them seem pointless. He is as much of a bully as the kids that tormented her.

July 31, 2012 at 13:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. DGS

It breaks my heart everytime I hear about kids being bullied and even more so when I hear about a child taking their life because it has become so unbearable. Even so I absolutley do not agree with this as a fix. By doing this were telling the schools and the governement that they don't have to deal with the problem.

July 31, 2012 at 13:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JCR

The schools can only do so much.

July 31, 2012 at 16:19 | Report abuse |
  46. Dan

Really that's messed up i'd teach my kid to fight before doing plastic surgery

July 31, 2012 at 13:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Mabel

I had this procedure done when young, thanks to my parents, and I am so thankful for them having allowed it. I asked for it when I was around 11, after web my cousins bullying me constantly. My ears, although normal size, did not have a fold and therefore seemed to be flat and sticking out. This was easily fixed with local sedation. Everyone here speaking of "death" is being a bit extreme. Although death is always a risk when under surgery it is so unlikely in this procedure that if you have a reputable children's surgeon it is almost unheard of. My ears, the way they are now, are how they would have looked if they were creased normally like the average ear and I feel like it gave me the confidence to grow into the mature and confidant young woman I am now. Instead of offending these parents so much how about you ask the kids how they feel? They might be young but, believe it or not, they have voices and opinions...

July 31, 2012 at 13:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Emily

This is absolutely horrifying. Not only the video itself, but the comments condoning it from parents, no less. What kind of message is this sending kids? It's telling them that, yes, all of those bullies were right, you have an ugly imperfection that needs to be fixed. Why is the target of the bullying being "fixed" instead of the bullying itself? I bet anything as soon as this girl goes back to school she's going to get ridiculed by those same bullies BECAUSE she let it get to her – and they'll have all the proof they need by just looking at her. Bullying doesn't stem from the targets "imperfection"... it stems from the bully him/herself and that is the problem that needs to be adressed.

July 31, 2012 at 13:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Tess

I'm 16 and I have my father's big nose. I've accepted it, even though I do get teased once in a while about it. I've heard "Wow, your nose is just so big" quite a few times, but I mean, if anyone was to judge me for the thing on my face I was born with, then, they're not worth my time. I don't feel like I have to resort to surgery to "fix" something that is perfectly fine. There isn't anything wrong with me. It makes me sad that more young people won't accept what they're born with, and react in the right way to bullying. Bullies aren't worth my thoughts or my time, and especially not the pain and suffering of surgery. I know that there are people out there who love me for who I am, so why should I change for anyone that doesn't?

July 31, 2012 at 13:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. sketch

I highly doubt that this will stop bullying. I think that bullies will find other reasons to pick on her.

July 31, 2012 at 14:16 | Report abuse | Reply