home
RSS
Resisting temptation while on vacation
July 19th, 2012

Resisting temptation while on vacation

Editor's note: Adrienne LaGier is one of seven CNN viewers training to race the Nautica Malibu Triathlon with Dr. Sanjay Gupta as part of the CNN Fit Nation Triathlon Challenge. This past week, LaGier visited her hometown of Buffalo, New York, to finish planning her upcoming wedding, which will take place just two weeks before the triathlon.

It's not easy having a hometown that has best chicken wings and pizza in the world. But here are a few tips that helped me get through my week of summer vacation in Western New York.

1. Plan exercise. Even though my week was going to be crammed with wedding planning, I promised to run in a 5K with my stepsister. My bridesmaid scheduled a Body Cardio class for us to do at her gym before we met with the florist. I walked into my parents' house after an 8.5-hour car ride, wanting to eat Mom’s cooking. Not helpful when she just made Sloppy Joes and a chocolate cake! I resisted, but experienced my first craving in a long time, which I attribute to not exercising all day and some sort of emotional trigger that goes off every time I set foot in my mom’s kitchen. I went for a four-mile run the next morning and the only thing I wanted to eat was oatmeal. Running and doing Pilates on my parent’s back patio centered me.

2. Involve your family. Being on vacation is all about spending quality time with your loved ones. We scheduled two visits to a local trampoline house where I got to bounce for two hours with my girls. Surprisingly, bouncing is highly aerobic – and fun. I even managed to not get killed in trampoline dodge ball frenzy. Planning activities around fun instead of food helped us to remain active during the week.

3. Bring your own food. I brought almond butter and my organic oatmeal I eat each morning from home. I also brought a bag full of zucchini, squash, onions, and cucumbers from our garden. Then when I stopped at a local WNY store, I picked up some vegan samosas and channa masala to eat while my family dined on steak. For the long car ride, I put a cooler with bananas, pita chips, and hummus in the seat next to me. I packed pretzels and trail mix for the girls so we wouldn’t have to stop for snacks. When we did stop for lunch, I opted for a sit-down restaurant instead of the standard fast food stop so I could eat a salad and drink plenty of water. When my dad saw me eat grilled vegetables and a salad for dinner one night he asked, “Are you telling me you’re really full after eating that?” And the answer was yes – you can feel full after eating a healthy meal.

4. Reflect on your goals. When my mom saw me, she gasped. I finally looked thinner to her. She said, “Wow, I guess you really are an inspiration.” When looking up my previous 5K results, I found a picture of Chris and I back in March. We look so much fluffier then. Looking at the pictures from our bridal shower confirms it. We have changed our lives and a week of vacation wasn’t going to derail that. When I got on the scale when I got home, I was happy to find that I hadn’t gained any weight (didn’t lose any either).

Now, I’m nowhere near perfect. I did try the 15 different cakes the baker had me taste test for our wedding cake. When the waiter brought out a baked Alaska dessert as a surprise for my birthday, I did have a bite. Sad to say, I did have four chicken wings (okay, maybe five), breaking my four-month streak of no meat. But my body paid for it. I could feel myself getting sick. My body was rejecting the junk and screaming for the veggies. Good thing vacations are short; can’t wait to get back to my plant powered swim, bike and run routine.

You can follow Adrienne's progress, along with the rest of the Lucky 7 at CNN.com/FitNation, on Twitter @CNNFitNation or on Facebook.

1. trihardcarlos

Great blog Adrienne : )

July 19, 2012 at 13:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Mance Lotter

Why would you eat oatmeal after a run? That's ridiculous – it's high in fiber and takes a long time for your body to breakdown. Your body needs protein and carbs – QUICKLY after a workout. Protein powder mixed in water / soy milk with blueberries and strawberries will help your body deliever much needed protein quickly to the depleted muscles.

July 20, 2012 at 10:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Iago

Vet inte om min kommentar kom fram ?Skickar igen, du fe5r ta bort den ena kreoentammn om du redan fe5tt detta 1 Lott Jag Gillar redan pe5 FB (Pernilla Wamsjf6)2 Lotter Jag har Tipsat och Le4nkat pe5 FB

September 13, 2012 at 22:58 | Report abuse |
  3. Mance Lotter

The chicken wings didn't make you sick because they are bad for you; your body wasn't used to it. I went two weeks without eating solids – just all-natural green smoothies with no sugar added. The first thing I ate after my two week regime was an apple. My stomack was screaming. Is it because apples are bad for you? Should I ban apples from my diet?

Our bodies adapt to what we do to them – to the point that you can teach your body to seemingly "reject" something as healthy as chicken or apples.

July 20, 2012 at 10:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mance Lotter

*stomach

July 20, 2012 at 10:57 | Report abuse |
    • vegan trigirl

I am a vegan triathlete and do not in any way miss eating meat or fish. How is it Mance that chicken wings are "healthy"? Besides the fat and steroids your body doesn't need, you can get protein from plant based sources which are much better for you. Besides the fact that your body processes it much more quickly and doesn't waste energy trying to digest a chicken wing.

July 20, 2012 at 12:52 | Report abuse |
    • Mance Lotter

Plant-based protein lacks the completeness of amino acids of meat based protein – but it's still very good. I'm sorry if my point wasn't clear. She made it sound like her body was rejecting meat because it is somehow bad for you. That's not true. Our bodies, even our teeth, show we are designed to consume meat in light moderation. My point was, you can teach your body to "reject" even something as healthy as an apple, it doesn't mean it's bad for you.

I don't care to ignite a vegan vs. carnivor debate. Vegans are overly sensative about it, so I avoid it all together (your comment is a case in point).

July 20, 2012 at 13:13 | Report abuse |
    • M.P.

Mance,
      I disagree with your comment that you can't get a "Complete" amino complex of protein from a plant based diet. First of all, typical chicken along with other poultry meats such as turkey, have not been grown from a non-steroid based lifestyle. Even if could find meat that was not was not injected with hormones, the feed is full of bits of meat from Other animals or even other chickens.
      Check out http://www.theearthlings.com and see for yourself. Also watch the movie Forks Over Knives and learn something from that too.
      Meat is NOT healthy (because of the long term effects of animal protein vs. plant based protein), but too bad American's are brainwashed into thinking its "good" for you because it has "protein."
      By the way, the origin of our species show that we were gatherer's and planter's who picked berries and ate raw food before consuming meat. Consumption of meat only became a necessity of survival not a way of life, like a typical American views it. Our canine inscisors were meant to rip apart raw vegetables, but our body slowly adapted to meat consumption. Something we should not be proud of.

July 23, 2012 at 19:20 | Report abuse |
    • Mance Lotter

MP – vegetables lack a complete amino acid profile, but you can supplement it and be just fine. Animal (including egg) protein, generally is complete and needs no supplementary protein food source. Just relax, those are facts and not me calling vegetables inferior. See, vegans are so touchy!

I don't know what vegan-produced movie you saw, but man has always consumed meat.

July 24, 2012 at 07:16 | Report abuse |
  4. Runner Dave

Lighten up Mance. After only 4 miles your body doesn't need anything. Until you start running at least 10-12 miles you don't need to worry about rehydrating or eating a postrun snack.

July 20, 2012 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mance Lotter

So your body doesn't convert ATP during 1 to 10 mile runs? Hmmm, I'll have to talk to my mitochondria about this.

Let me guess, RD, you run a lot and you're real thin. Understand how catabolism and lack of post-workout nutritional intake affect your lean mass and you'll learn why your body cannibalizes its own muscle tissue when it doesn't have to.

July 20, 2012 at 11:47 | Report abuse |
    • SD

That's right, anything less than an hour run and you only need a light snack afterward + some water. Way too many "athletes" end up quaffing down a sports drink and/or bar afterwards that puts more empty calories into their system than they actually burned during their workout. Then they wonder why the weight isn't coming off.

July 22, 2012 at 22:14 | Report abuse |
    • Maca

c5hhh nu he5ller jag verkligen tumanrma. Detta halsband har jag sucktat efter le4e4e4e4nge. Var senast inne ff6r 10 dagar sedan och kollade pe5 deras hemsida och funderade pe5 om detta skulle bli e5rets julklapp till mig sje4lv men blev ff6r sne5l. Jag gillar pe5 FB och he5ller som sagt tumanrma.Trevlig helg,Sara

September 11, 2012 at 13:42 | Report abuse |
  5. TriHardandOften

Agree with Mance completely, as what he said is consistent with my team's Registered Dietician. After an hour of exercise (which could be not much above four or five miles, depending on your pace), the best choice is a mix of protien and carbs to prevent catabolism. The studies seem to disagree over the correct ratio (4:1 or 3:1 carbs:protein). The studies seem to agree that time is of the essence, however, and you should refuel soonest. My favorite is a Regen shake or turkey sandwich. Or, if I'm close to home, a green smoothie (Vega Sport protein powder, glutamine, and a mix of leafy greens and other produce). But regardless of your choice of fuel, if you don't do so properly (and fast), you risk negating any of your fitness gains over time (exacerbated of course, for those of us devoting time to long course).

July 20, 2012 at 13:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mance Lotter

Exactly. I abide by a 3:1 ratio, and do it IMMEDIATELY after the workout as you said. Make sure the carbs are FAST / SIMPLE carbs (e.g., fruit, not grains) so they are in the blood stream as quickly as possible.

I'm sorry if I get a little worked up on this, but having unqualified people dispensing health advice is silly. You get people like Runner Dave who read blogs like this and think, "oh, if I run less than 10 miles, my body doesn't need fuel" or you read this woman's blog and think proper fuel / nutrition after a workout is a high-carb, high-fiber, low-protein snack of oatmeal.

July 20, 2012 at 13:23 | Report abuse |
    • Runner Dave

Sorry, I stand on my comment. It's four miles, a distance people used to walk every day as a normal part of living. Americans seem to think if they run 3 or 4 miles they need to consume a quart of Gatorade at 250 calories and have a snack of 100-200 calories to rebuild damaged muscles. After all this, they wonder why they don't lose weight and even gain weight.

July 20, 2012 at 16:10 | Report abuse |
    • Mance Lotter

I'm glad you stand by your comment, but just know you stand alone. Science and experience are not in your corner.

PS – the post-workout nutrition can't be a drink or food with refined sugar, that's as silly as your previous comments.

July 20, 2012 at 16:22 | Report abuse |
    • SD

Hey ML, should we all be VEGANS like you? Ha. Doesn't work for 90% of real athletes.

July 22, 2012 at 22:18 | Report abuse |
    • jhs02

Yeah Im going to have to agree with Runner Dave on this one. A few miles doesn't seem to warrant a post run refueling session. I believe I burn about 600 calories on a 5 mile run at a 6:30 pace – I could easily put all those calories and then some back in with shakes/smoothies/bars/gels and whatever else they push at GNC. Everybody is different though, so if it works for you then stick with it. Ive just seen way too many friends slay a ton of calories in the name of refueling, then wonder why they can't lose weight.

July 24, 2012 at 21:14 | Report abuse |
    • Aline

c5h, vilken rolig te4vling.Det e4r klart man vill vinna dessa fina saker de5 man har en Cars-tokig kille he4r hemma.Nu he5ller jag tummnraa att jag vinner, hihi.Jag har gillat pe5 FB och gjort ett inle4gg pe5 min blogg och le4nkat till dig och e-leksaker.sehttp:/mysimpellife.blogspot.com/2011/08/tavling.html

September 13, 2012 at 20:12 | Report abuse |
  6. Rickard

Rules, for fat obese Americans, only.

July 20, 2012 at 13:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Winker

I would love to be in a Wonkomance book club! I would think pick a book a month (or two if choosing noelvlas). Some options: a master blog post here with questions and discussion in comments or tracked back from individual blogs. And a spark question in twitter with a hashtag, for short and sweet questions.

September 11, 2012 at 19:42 | Report abuse |
  7. Barton

Dear Mance,

Just because you have found a person that agrees with you, does not mean that Runner Dave "stands alone" in his beliefs. Everyone has their different post-workout rituals. Not everyone's bodies are the same, so there's not ONE correct way to refuel your body after working out. Have you ever thought that what works for you, might not work for someone else? Maybe Runner Dave's body doesn't need/crave anything after a 3 mile run. That's fine. Let the man be and quit putting other people down just because their beliefs don't align with yours.

Oh and in the future, I would avoid making sweeping generalizations about a vast number of people like you did when discussing the debate between carnivores/vegans, when you said, "Vegans are overly sensitive about it." You could offend a whole lot of people by saying something like that, but by all means, keep it up. You're sure to make a lot of new friends that way.

I don't normally put people down or judge others over the Internet (or anywhere for that matter) but reading your comments really ticked me off, and I thought that somebody needed to address them. And no, I don't happen to be a vegan so don't try to pull that, "Oh he's just a sensitive vegan" card.

Have a nice day!

July 21, 2012 at 02:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mance Lotter

Barton, you're right, Runner Dave is not the only one in the "I'm clueless" corner, because fools seldom differ. I'm sorry to see you there with him. I get the hippy liberal philosophy that "we are all unique, special and different", but that is not always true. If your heart stops: you die. If you cut yourself deep enough: you bleed. If you move your body: it consumes energy and your muscles contract. In those, and many other ways, we are NOT different and unique (sorry if that hurts). There are inefficient and efficient ways to replenish your body's energy supply and aid in its recovery. Runner Dave says the human body doesn't need ANYTHING until it runs more than 10 miles (he makes that sweeping generalization and you say nothing). Numerous scientific studies show that to be false. I judge it to be silly and moronic.

As for your body, you may not know it craves or needs nutrition after a workout, but the body doesn't always tell you what it needs. Sometimes, your body won't tell you its full until 10 to 20 minutes after it reaches that point. Sometimes your body doesn't strongly signal its thirsty until you're parched (but you should be drinking appropriate amounts of water all day, whether or not your body is telling you it needs it – even you and Runner Dave would agree with that).

You're wrong – and embarassingly so.

PS – All vegans ARE overly sensitive about their lifestyle when talking to a carnivore.

July 21, 2012 at 16:40 | Report abuse |
    • UFC iTard

Get 'em Mance! Haha.
      You want to the secret of how to find out if someone is vegan?
      Don't worry, they'll F%@#in' tell you!

July 24, 2012 at 12:29 | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Mance isn't being particularly nice about it, but for the most part he's right (even about the vegans). Unless you don't want to be stronger, I don't see a benefit to not eating some quick simple carbs and protein after each workout. Even if your goal is weight loss, increasing muscle mass will result in a higher metobolic rate which will burn more calories each day. I'm not suggesting an additional 500 calorie snack right after working out, but if you can plan your meals/snacks (calories you would already be ingesting) to follow a workout, and include some simple carbs and quickly digestable protein, I believe you'd see better results in the long run. Taking into consideration what Runner Dave has stated, the total calories ingested for the day would still be equal to (or less than, if trying to lose weight) your maintenance level.

I personally eat ~2500 calories each day, and eat a piece of fruit (this morning it was a piece of pineapple) and drink a moderate protein shake after each workout. This meal refuels my muscles, and is incorporated into my overall caloric intake goal for the day, so it won't result in weight gain.

July 24, 2012 at 12:37 | Report abuse |
  8. Himanshu

You are like me when I was letting my calories consciousness ruin my vacation. If you are really maintaining a healthy lifestyle with cardio and exercise a week of binge should not ruin it. Maybe the week after vacation you may see 2-4 lbs more but it goes away quickly.

July 21, 2012 at 13:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Everyone, everyone

The blonde woman in the photo is hot. Naked pictures, please. That is all.

July 24, 2012 at 10:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Two Hats

These comments always turn out the same. No one learning anything from another comment, just people thinking whatever book they've read or study they've read or infomercial they've seen is the correct one, and that all other sources of information are wrong, or at the very least, lesser in legitimacy. I'm surprised religion or political presence hasn't been mentioned in the argument here. You know what i do? I run when i feel like it, i sit when i feel like it, i eat pizza, green peppers, pineapple, and cheeseburgers. I weight 177 and I'm 5' 11" and i bench 230lbs. Do i tell you what science says, or that your routine is scientifically unsound? No, because arguing and horn blowing is scientifically unsound. THAT is scientific fact. Why do humans continually act like 11 yr olds on online discussion boards? Never fails.

July 24, 2012 at 15:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mance Lotter

Thanks for the incoherent ramble. Who would have thought, the best way to stay lean and strong is to do whatever you want? If you ever want to bench more than only 130% of your body weight and get cut doing it, get yourself out of m o r o n mode and learn something about how the human body works (blood sugar / insulin production, the importance of amino acids, what happens to the muscle when you work out and how does the body repair it most efficiently, etc).

July 24, 2012 at 17:48 | Report abuse |
  11. wavejump1100

youre on vacation, chill out and dont worry about it for a week

July 24, 2012 at 22:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Jayson Kim

I agree, when your on vacation, you should try to enjoy it.

July 29, 2012 at 16:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Paris escort service

I'm impressed!!! Really informative blog post on thechart.blogs.cnn.com my friend. I just wanted to comment u0026 say keep up the quality work. good luck!

September 21, 2012 at 02:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. программа тв

Research shows that children are more likely to succeed academically and are less likely to engage in violent behavior if their families are involved in their education. Many parents say, however, that they feel unwelcome or uncomfortable in their children's schools. Teachers often feel under attack by parents who are highly involved. Learn how to bridge the gap. Included: A dozen activities to promote parental involvement and ten tips for involved parents.

September 29, 2012 at 18:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. travel

hey there and thank you on your information ? I have definitely picked up something new from right here. I did however experience a few technical points using this web site, since I skilled to reload the site a lot of instances previous to I may get it to load properly. I had been puzzling over if your web hosting is OK? Now not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances instances will often impact your placement in google and could damage your quality ranking if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I'm adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for a lot extra of your respective exciting content. Ensure that you replace this again soon..

December 13, 2012 at 05:34 | Report abuse | Reply