home
RSS
Most kids don't get enough PE, says study
July 10th, 2012

Most kids don't get enough PE, says study

Most schools in the United States are not offering children the suggested amount of physical education, according to a new study.

The study, conducted by Bryan McCullick, a kinesiology professor at the University of Georgia, examined all 50 of the United States and found six states where elementary schools followed recommended physical education guidelines. Two states followed the guidelines at the middle school level, and no states had strong enough regulations at the high school level.

Several other states had some form of physical education requirement, but they did not reach a threshold the researchers thought was appropriate.

What’s the issue? McCullick says schools may be cutting time for physical education to increase time for other subjects, in the hope of raising standardized test scores.

“Physical education is not a measurable outcome,” he says. “Schools say they’d be better off or better served, perhaps, in devoting [time] to math and reading instead of physical education.”

Researchers say physical education policies are still very vague and easily misinterpreted

“Ambiguous statutes leave interpretation to educators and school boards, two groups that may be ill-equipped to make sense of the law,” researchers' colleagues write in the study.

There are no federal requirements in place for physical education in schools, but The National Association of Sport and Physical Education does have guidelines: 150 minutes per week for elementary school children and 225 minutes per week for middle and high school students.

The fundamental concern, says McCullick, is that people don’t know the difference between physical education and physical activity.

“You could put kids on a treadmill for 45 minutes a day and have them walk … they would get their recommended amount of exercise,” he says. “That doesn’t mean they’re going to know how to be physically active after they’re not mandated to do that anymore”

He also says physically active kids are more likely to succeed in school.

“The notion that kids who are unhealthy are going to be able to learn better is pretty flawed,” he says. “It makes sense to have kids who are physically educated. The chances of them performing better on standardized tests are probably higher.”

1. bam

They get a lot of medals so there are no tears though.... coddle me a loser... the loser obese generation in motion

July 10, 2012 at 09:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. terry

Kids aren't getting enough exercise ??? Oh my, no one knew that !! Did someone really get paid to write this "news flash" article ?? Even worse is that the University of Georgia paid money for this "study." Someone needs to be fired.

July 10, 2012 at 09:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • charlottewilsonphotography

that is just plain mean. It is an ongoing topic and needs to be addressed at all generations.

July 10, 2012 at 10:55 | Report abuse |
    • robert

fat lazy kids? imagine that. kids dont get enough excersize because they spend to much time watching T.V. playing vidio games playing on the computer . texting.. eating junk food and allowed to sleep in till noon.. when I was a boy back in the 1970s. it was never to cold or hot to play.. the worst thing that happen. is tecnology. has made EVERY ONE. self centerd incunsideret dead beats.. welcom to teco blubber counrty

July 10, 2012 at 12:24 | Report abuse |
    • terry

Reply to Charlotte – Let me guess, you are an out-of-work PE "teacher."

July 10, 2012 at 14:03 | Report abuse |
    • solex

Robert – Hopefully all those lazy kids at least paid attention in school and learned to spell – unlike yourself.

July 10, 2012 at 16:15 | Report abuse |
    • Julie

robert you are defiantly an athlete because you can't spell

July 13, 2012 at 02:23 | Report abuse |
    • Shiny Happy Person

As an elementary school art teacher in VA, we faced this just a few years ago when the General Assembly was about to pass a law mandating more PE in schools(NOT the same as recess!!) What they discovered was that there was simply no financial means to employ that many more PE teachers in the school districts. Given the 150 minute a week requirement for elem school(right now our students get 45 minutes of PE every week, 30 minutes of recess every day) we would have had to not only provide more PE teachers per school, PLUS another space for the extra classes(all the outside space was being used all day for recess.)PLUS–the extra time needed during the week, would significantly cut into academic time and since right now, NCLB and making AYP rules the land, classroom teachers need every moment with those kids in math, reading, science and social studies-the standardized tested areas. Do I think it is right, NO-but it's the reality of public education right now. Interestingly, when I was in elem school in the 70's, we had PE once a week....and weren't having an obesity epidemic then. Seems to me like this all a result of kids sitting down after they get home from school. I wasn't allowed in the house after school-my brother and I stayed outside playing until Mom called us in for dinner. Schools cannot continue to be dumping grounds to fix parenting problems-parents have to step up and turn off the tv and the computer and send their kids OUTSIDE to play.

July 13, 2012 at 12:11 | Report abuse |
  3. Johnnyboy

Let's see Obesity Epidemic = No PE, coincidence?

July 10, 2012 at 09:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • terry

Oh yes, got to have PE classes to get kids to do something physical. What a waste of tax dollars.

July 10, 2012 at 14:05 | Report abuse |
    • terry

Johnny – are you an out-of-work coach/PE "teacher?"

July 10, 2012 at 14:06 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

@Terry

I assume you're suggesting a better use of tax dollars would be to pay for the health care of obese children who become obese adults with a laundry list of big pharma meds to get out of bed each day.

I also assume you were the last one picked in gym class.

Moron.

July 10, 2012 at 16:39 | Report abuse |
    • terry

Bob, I don't and didn't need anyone to "teach" me how to get exercise. Also, I guess YOU are another out-of-work PE/coach "teacher" Really no need for that name calling. It is quite inmature.

July 10, 2012 at 18:20 | Report abuse |
  4. Kay

According to McCullick kids won't "know how" to be physically active if they aren't mandated to be physically active anymore? That's a strange comment. Kids are physically active when they play outside!!! They don't have to have structured rules or a specific game made up by an adult to be physically active.
    In my opinion the reduction of P.E. is a smaller problem compared to the increase in the consumption of cheaper less nutritious junk food and children not playing outside as much anymore. Many kids I knew hated P.E. and were still fit ,because they had better diets and loved to play outside.

July 10, 2012 at 10:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lauren

If you do your research yes, a healthy diet is extremely important but parents and people in general fail to realize that adequate exercise is important too. Many parents even believe that exercise isn't important at all as long as they feel that their children are eating healthy. And considering that most parents serve their children food that is in fact not healthy and too large of a portion size, They really aren't the best people to judge whether or not children should be required to have more physical exercise in school.

July 10, 2012 at 11:56 | Report abuse |
    • Katie

Most kids don't play outside. My son had a friend over once and when his caregiver came to get him, I said they were out back in the woods and she said "He's OUTSIDE?? How did you get him to go outside??" Typical of most kids. Their parents cart them around to playgroups and playdates and playgrounds on a schedule but they rarely actually just hang out outside doing kid things like playing in a sandbox or digging holes in the dirt, climbing trees and building tree forts and all those fun things kids ought to be doing. I know, I know, some kids are city kids and don't have yards. But they do have parks and playgrounds and school grounds, don't they? Do they absolutely have to have a parent organizing their playtime?

July 10, 2012 at 16:49 | Report abuse |
    • Wondering

@Katie, they don't need parents to plan their time but they do need adult supervision unlike when we were young. I went out to play and roamed for several blocks in the city, knew the neighbors and they knew me, played in the park across the street etc. I would not allow my children to be that unsupervised anymore. Even just playing in the front yard I watched them, there were many times that cars drove by and slowed down looking the kids over, whether gangs or pervs I don't know but I would not let my kids play except in the backyard without being there to watch. Most families now have two working parents, kids are in daycare of some kind and get very little free roaming time. Schools have cut hours and teachers don't want to take the time to watch recess so now they pay classified personnel to watch the kids, no PE teachers to teach them the rules of games and how to safely stretch and prepare for exercise. The schools want more class time, that's a joke, that time is spent grading their own homework/tests so the teacher doesn't have to after school and little extra time actually learning. A child will not learn as well with 5-6 hours of unbroken class time as they will if it is broken up with recess and physical activity to let their mind both rest and assimilate the learning from one class to the next. States may be to blame for gutting the school budgets but teachers & their unions are to blame for the lack of instructional time and the higher cost of additional classified employees to cover the out of class supervision teachers used to provide. Our school wasn't huge but it was K-8 and no teacher had recess duty more than twice a week, that included before school, recess and lunch duties. Teachers were also present during lunch time to keep an eye on their class and did not leave the lunch area until their entire class was out to recess.

July 10, 2012 at 19:08 | Report abuse |
  5. htrodr2

This is not news!! With all the cutbacks at school I know some kids only get two classes of PE a week. The problem also lies at home as kids are allowed to stay in and play video games, etc. BUT, parents also do not get enough exercise...it doesn't take that long to walk a mile each eve.

July 10, 2012 at 10:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mom

Schools are too busy trying to work in all of the standardized testing,. We left the school district when everyone was mandated an extra hour of reading instruction a day (regardless of ability) at the expense of science, PE, art and music. Yet another reason why students are less engaged in school – there is not much to be engaged in.

July 10, 2012 at 15:52 | Report abuse |
    • Katie

Two PE days a week? Try one. And no recess. Then in high school, kids are advised to "get PE out of the way" – they only have to do two semesters' worth, and they are encouraged to do it in their freshman year.

July 10, 2012 at 16:50 | Report abuse |
    • megin

yep same our children only get two pe days and hardly any recess

July 10, 2012 at 17:55 | Report abuse |
    • Smalltown

When you don't get home until after dark and the area you live in is forested with coyotes and bears or snow in the winter, that 1 mile walk is not going to occur. Kids not allowed out without parental supervision because of the high number of se x offenders in the area.

July 10, 2012 at 19:13 | Report abuse |
  6. Average American

I learned the rules of most sports through PE, and I got to try out many of them at an early age to see which ones I liked. PE is an important part of a child's education...so is recess, unstructured physical activity.

July 10, 2012 at 10:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. charlottewilsonphotography

Katrina,
    This is a very important post that you write. PE used to be required for everyone in high school, although people like me did everything to get out of it. I hated organized sports as I think a lot of kids do. But recess, now that is another thing. I looked forward to getting outside and away from the black board and school work. My friends and I would maybe play jump rope, jacks or dodge ball. But it was a choice.

All the best,

charlotte wilson

July 10, 2012 at 10:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ser

thats the problem...it is the lefties that have taken these games out of the schoolyard...you can't play jump rope cause someone may trip and get hurt, you can't play jacks cause someone may mistake a jack for a piece of candy...eat it and choke on it, and dodegball...holy smokes...yeah right...people throwing balls at each other...no way will that be allowed...it is because of bonehead lefty idiots that these games are banned from schools and yards across the country...sure kids, got hurt feelings or bumps and bruises, but they didn't get Diabetes Type II at age 10 or weight 150 pounds at age 8.

July 10, 2012 at 12:53 | Report abuse |
  8. GRS62

PE has been replaced by Gaming 101. Parents who don't make up for lost school PE programs and allow their kids to endlessly play games are just as responsible for their child's mental and physical lethargy.

July 10, 2012 at 10:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. CJ

I would like to see what study shows this to be true. Sounds like he just made it up. Not saying that kids don't need exercise, because DUH, everyone does, but this seems like an odd thing to claim. I was not a physically active child–too clumsy to play sports, and too much of a bookworm–but I did really well in school. I don't know that more PE would have helped, because the rigid structure was such a turn-off for me. Maybe more breaks throughout the day to simply get up and move around, or longer recess so kids could have unstructured play outside, might be better? I'm no expert, just speaking from my experience as a kid.

July 10, 2012 at 11:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • asdf

Increased blood flow and oxygen intake.
      That's how it helps the brain.
      Exercise can sometimes alleviate headaches for the same reason.

July 10, 2012 at 12:49 | Report abuse |
    • kat

CJ- yep, that was my experience too. Frankly I don't think PE is as necessary as getting the kids to move around. Sitting in a desk for 8 hours straight isn't good for anyone. I think diet is more to blame for childhood obesity than lack of PE. I was a sedentary kid, but we had no junk food, sodas or candy at our house.

July 10, 2012 at 23:39 | Report abuse |
    • CS

There are numerous studies that have shown a correlation between exercise and academic performance. Simply Google "exercise and the brain" and you'll be able to find plenty.

July 13, 2012 at 10:53 | Report abuse |
  10. Dave

Kids do not get enough PE, but they don't get enough physical exercise when they get home, either. Let's not make overweight, lazy kids another problem schools have to solve.

July 10, 2012 at 11:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Exercise

My kid plays select softball. She goes to a personal trainer twice a week, hitting every night with instructor once a week, pitching 3 buckets of balls every night lesson once a week. Plays every weekend 4-9 games in 100+ heat sometimes. I don't think she need PE. AND has to carry a 3.3. She really doesn't need PE.

July 10, 2012 at 12:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. bb88

I agree, children gain socialized skill while playing, interacting with other children. There is a Charter School (American Indian) in Oakland, CA where there is no PE. PE class is that the student just run/walk around the block and go to the neiborhood park and play. There is no recess for them, 20 min lunch time. That is about all that the student get everyday, which includes bathroom time and socialize with other classmates. They do not even has time to talk with other grade school mates. School's API is very high, but that is not good for the student's physical and mental heath.

July 10, 2012 at 12:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. BD

I don't even know where to start, children in publc school don't get enough PE, the school system is an anemic shell of its former self.

Thos in private school might get enough but it ranges from school to school.

A big part of the problem is a societal mentality that physical activity and sports are something that you should be pushed to do and develop a strong sense of discipline around. We used to push people that didn't perform, and while I agree that pushing children has to be done sensitively, I think that as a whole we are far to soft on children when it comes to health and physical activity.

Then again, it would be more than a bit two-faced to force kids to exercise and then only offer them grilled cheese, chocolate milk, and french fries for lunch......

The health problems that the school system is currently causing/promoting are so vast and out of control that its downright depressing.

July 10, 2012 at 12:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • BD

typing fail

thos = those

and the third paraph first line should read "sports AREN'T something"

sort of reversed my meaning.....

July 10, 2012 at 12:24 | Report abuse |
    • HH

True. PE Is a big reason why people hate to exercise, because it's so boring. Newsflash as well: not every child is a little fattie. Plenty of people do NOT have weight problems or diabetes, but we are punished with lousy fat-free diet food at school lunches, etc. Get off our backs!

July 10, 2012 at 12:39 | Report abuse |
  14. truebob

I learned to love working out in gym class. My kids don't get any PE or gym.

July 10, 2012 at 12:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. HH

PE is a big reason why so many people hate fitness and exercising. Schools believe that if they make kids do a half hour of boring calisthenics, or force them to play sports they don't enjoy, that they'll continue to do those boring calisthenics on holidays, weekends, and after they're grown. No way!

July 10, 2012 at 12:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Katherine

So let's only expect out of kids what they love to do!!! No more science or especially math! Part of PE means "education" and that means we educate them to the need of physical exercise if they like it or not. You, personally need to move your body daily to attain a certain health standard. You may not love it but boo hoo! Life isn't easy and kids need to learn to work to achieve!

July 10, 2012 at 14:14 | Report abuse |
  16. Michael Rossetter

In regard to HH's last comment I could nor agree more. It is because of compulsary PE and School sports that I was compelled to attend that has left me with a life long detestation of sports of every sort and kind. Show me any so called athlete or coach and I'll show you someone who is a complete waste of time, money and effort.

July 10, 2012 at 13:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Merritt J Swift

In 1980 I was in day treatment for 6 months and I was forbidden to speak of my being abused in school.All the school tragedy's and victim suicides since is blood on the hands of faculty and therapists who found it politically incorrect to listen to and learn from what happened to people like me.Schools take us hostage and abuse some of us with impunity and pretend it was a favor to be grateful for.It ruined my life before it really got going.

July 10, 2012 at 14:07 | Report abuse |
  17. AWL

From the time I when I went to school all the way to now with my nephew being in high school, a big reason why kids do not want to participate in P.E. is because afterwards most are required to undress and expose their bodies to their peers in the showers. I still think that if they had some sort of privacy shields from shoulder to knees they would not be so worried about the showers, and the ridicule. I would love to see a study about the fear of showers as a reason not to do P.E.

July 10, 2012 at 13:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • terry

I'm not interested in spending more tax dollars just so kids can be told to stop eating so much and move their butts a little.

July 10, 2012 at 14:11 | Report abuse |
    • Katherine

As long as they have appropriate shoes on, I don't think it should matter if they're wearing shorts or long pants etc. PE needs to start addressing the physical health needs of the students and quit trying to make sure everyone knows how to spike a volleyball over a net! I don't think what they're wearing should matter but they need to be moving as in exercise!!!

July 10, 2012 at 14:11 | Report abuse |
  18. Rich

Here is an idea: Drop the 3-month summer vacation. Spread out longer breaks during the school year so we are giving the kids a break. Devote a minimum of 50% of summer school to physical education and activity and health. This will make the schools usable even if they don't have air-conditioning. The kids will have time to study core subjects, learn good health habits, and they won't 'lose' the first and last parts of each school year due to 'spin-up' in the Fall and Spring Fever at the end of the year.

July 10, 2012 at 13:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Merritt J Swift

In 1980 I was in day treatment for 6 months and I was forbidden to speak of my being abused in school,that started in gymclass.All the school tragedy's and victim suicides since is blood on the hands of faculty and therapists who found it politically incorrect to listen to and learn from what happened to people like me.Schools take us hostage and abuse some of us with impunity and pretend it was a favor to be grateful for.

July 10, 2012 at 14:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Merritt J Swift

In 1980 I was in day treatment for 6 months and I was forbidden to speak of my being abused in school,that began in gym class.All the school tragedy's and victim suicides since is blood on the hands of faculty and therapists who found it politically incorrect to listen to and learn from what happened to people like me.Schools take us hostage and abuse some of us with impunity and pretend it was a favor to be grateful for.It ended my life before it really began.

July 10, 2012 at 14:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JAnn

My heart reaches out to you. I am sure you are not alone and that others too could speak out if they were encouraged to do so. Whatever your age now, it is obvious that this still affects you. May the God of Peace pour an abundant supply of that priceless treasure into your heart .

July 10, 2012 at 19:50 | Report abuse |
  21. terry

You can spot an out-of-work PE "teacher" posting on here from a mile away.

July 10, 2012 at 14:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rich

terry: I'm curious. What is your BMI?

July 10, 2012 at 14:59 | Report abuse |
  22. Katherine

We teach kids that reading is important so in school we read everyday (I'm a school teacher, I should know) but if we want them to grow up physically healthy then there ought to be at least a half hour of PE everyday too. I don't mean organized games either. Any type of activity that gets their heart rates up and educates them to the advantages of doing so everyday would teach them to respect their health. I've noticed that almost all desserts have been takes off of school lunch trays and I think that's a great start but a sedate lifestyle leads to so many health problems in the future. I say we support their physical health and that should begin in PE!!!

July 10, 2012 at 14:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Annie

In the World, our kids rank 24th in math and 25th in science, our kids are obese and have health problems in early age. What is the problem? Parents, metality, Goverment, all the above. Our kids are chapions on eating Junk Food, at least they are champions somewhere. I wonder who is going to pay for our SS, benefits, when we get old? Who is going to pay taxes if we are not investing in our future generation.

July 10, 2012 at 16:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • eroteme

We, of course, must never blame parents for their children's obesity! It is not uncommon to see an obese or 30 pound overweight mother feeding her child or children junk food at our junk food restaurants. It is a lot easeir to feed them junk food at these restaurants than it is to feed them junk food at home, and the children greatly enjoy eating junk foods.

July 10, 2012 at 16:47 | Report abuse |
    • megin

eroteme, you don't blame the parents when the public schools have your children more then you do. A parent sees there kids during the week 3 hours if that and those are spent doing homework and on the weekend lets see 50 hours are spent in public school while 30 of that is spent with parents as free time... hmm so whose to blame

July 10, 2012 at 17:50 | Report abuse |
    • megin

not to mention the only food children get is dinner. The rest of the meals are provided by you guessed it the public school so why are children obese? no sorry not going to blame the parents on that one.. fact of the matter is the government schools have yur children much more then you do.. most of those children stay in the public school till 6 pm!! from 8am to 6pm

July 10, 2012 at 17:53 | Report abuse |
  24. solex

When I was a kid, PE was called recess.

July 10, 2012 at 16:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • terry

And a few chores at home to do rather than play video games.

July 10, 2012 at 18:31 | Report abuse |
  25. eroteme

A new Study! Hurrah! Researchers say, "-–"! How great it is! I enjoyed a report from our 'researchers' a couple of years ago that suggested letting school children out of school earlier so they would have more time to exercise at home. As memory serves this brilliant suggestion was to cure obesity in our school children. This may have been from the same 'researchers' who informed us a few years ago that school girl pregnancies resulted from their addiction to motherhood. The funny side is that many of our 'researchers' earn a good living from their 'researching'. Probably from government grants, I should imagine.

July 10, 2012 at 16:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. hypatia

They cut all the funds for PE, remember? So they could keep all those middle management administrators while laying off teachers and leaving warehouses full of textbooks undelivered. Yup, those vouchers have really helped public education!

July 10, 2012 at 16:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. 22X More Active

How many millions was spent to tell us what we already knew?

July 10, 2012 at 17:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. megin

really!!!!!! wow!!! shocked! is that the same recess that they took away from kids in the 1990s due to lawsuits really there not getting enough PE?? wow! who would of thought and it took a study to come to that conclusions. H I remember reading the newspaper about how schools wouldn't allow kids to run on the playground because they might get hurt and then wow after 10 years of that, we have an obesity problem, imagine that...

July 10, 2012 at 17:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • terry

The obesity problem is obviously NOT as a result of lack of PE classes, for crying out loud. It is a result of diet of cheese burgers, too many video games and changes in our culture, such as few kids any more mow the yard, rake the leaves, play games in the back yard, etc. I think your argument sets in some sort of financial gain you have somehow in those PE classes. Your argument reminds me of people who play money for gym memberships, yet pay someone to mow their yard for them, wash their car, clean the house, etc.

July 10, 2012 at 19:04 | Report abuse |
    • mike fox

here we go again... lets cut out something because there is always the chance of a lawsuit.
      get rid of the lawyers and the sue happy folks who try to blame accidents on everyone else.
      its just a fact of life people.

July 10, 2012 at 21:10 | Report abuse |
  29. terry

Do we really need a program for teaching everything to kids or people in general ? What is next – teaching kids how to brush their teeth, put on their clothes, walk, comb their hair, etc. I mean what in the world are parents doing these days with their kids? Anything? Yes, I know a bunch of people who were PE teachers are out of work complaining in here. And I assume a bunch of kids wanting to have tax dollars spent of teaching them to play sports, etc. You want your kids to exercise, then go with them into that thing called your back yard and stop buying them the computer games.

July 10, 2012 at 18:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. C. Sheen

Hey, don't feel bad. Most adults don't get enough either! A couple of time a week is nowhere near enough. Now, a couple of times a day. THAT"S more like it!!!!!!!!

July 10, 2012 at 20:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Harvey

If the PE coaches are like the one I was inflicted with for three years of high school, I can understand why kids loathe exercise today. This guy was a survivor of the Bataan Death March and I believe more than a little unhinged. Three days a week was an hour of solid calisthenics, running laps, and other forms of torture. Two days a week was a half hour of the same with a half hour of something fun like foot ball. That is unless he got angry for some reason and then it was a full hour of calisthenics and hell. This happened more often than not.

I will admit when I graduated high school I was in as good of physical condition as it is for a person to be. However, the true legacy this guy left me is an absolute hatred of exercise and physical activity. Even 40 years later I still have nightmares where I relive the sheer hell this man put me through.

July 10, 2012 at 20:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Nat J

NO ONE will make my children exercise in school! The running, jumping, and possible falling is dangerous, they could be seriously injured. I want my children safe! Last month our neighbor's son, fell while playing outside with friends and broke his arm, one of the friends also got a busted lip!!! Not going to happen to my children!

July 10, 2012 at 20:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mike fox

i'm assuming this is a sarcastic remark.

July 10, 2012 at 21:07 | Report abuse |
  33. mike fox

i seriously can't believe money was wasted to conduct a study. its common knowledge that PE is cut out of the curriculum. physical activity is just as important as classes. 1 hour a day is better than nothing and is enough to help keep the fat off.
    we didn't have coke machines and snack machines at our schools to take place of the lunchs like they do now. We can argue about education at home, etc. but the same people who want to argue about doing it at home are the same ones who don't have enough time for their kids now and let them do what they want. At least let them get it at school.

July 10, 2012 at 21:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • terry

Physical activity may be as important as classroom matters, but the question is whether we have to spend tax dollars to teach kids how to move their little butts? Does one have to be taught that? That's pretty simple, so why can't parents teach their kids to move around a little? Or is it that EVERYTHING must be taught by the government and parents have no responsibility at all?

July 11, 2012 at 00:47 | Report abuse |
    • BruceNY

but terry, parents can't teach what they haven't learned: someone has to teach those kids. We kind a have a responsibility as an intelligent species to make sure we don't forget the stuff we learn. This is more important than tax dollars. Cutting or twisting PE into the joke that it is now and not doing anything about it is akin to letting our libraries and museums rot on purpose...because we don't want to spend tax dollars to preserve our collective knowledge, I think we can both agree this is not the best thing for us humans. It's more complex than just moving butts...

July 30, 2012 at 00:10 | Report abuse |
  34. onlyinamerica

This does not surprise me. Go to every other developed country in the world and the children there get much more exercise etc. The obesity epidemic here is a total joke.

July 10, 2012 at 22:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. crcka11234232

@robert... It's obvious in the 70's they didn't teach you enough basic things in school. You know, things like spelling and grammar.

July 10, 2012 at 22:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Name*guest

I guess my town and schools are an exception 2 the rule. We had an hour of PE 5 days a week every year from K-12 with the exception of sophmore year for drivers ed and health. We ran 2 miles every week no matter what the weather. I still live in the same area and my kid goes 2 the same school. PE is still required as it was 15 years ago. We had 2 change clothes for PE. They still have 2 change clothes today. This is not optional here. In order 2 graduate you have to have 3 YEARS of PE in high school. If we could do it, so can our children.

July 10, 2012 at 23:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • wasserball

and you became the healthiest person alive. Congratulations!

July 11, 2012 at 07:31 | Report abuse |
    • Stephanie

I am a long time fan of the show and I have been to every show.Tonight was the absolute best. It was fatatsnic!! I am so glad they cut out the sill unfunny comedy and just suck to dancing.I don't know who choreographed the show but I wish they would have choreographed some of the dances this season.Perhaps it was a better show because the dancers this season were just phenomenal!I hope Nigel reads the comments.

September 13, 2012 at 23:45 | Report abuse |
  37. wasserball

Repost, repost, repost. Bumped, bumped, bumped. How many time do we have to repeat this? :)

July 11, 2012 at 07:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. wasserball

Repost, repost, repost. Bumped, bumped, bumped. How many time do we have to repeat this? You and I didn't either, so what is the big deal? :)

July 11, 2012 at 07:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Mary

The main problem for our children in the United States is not that they don't get enough PE, its that we are afraid to let them out the door by themselves so that they can run and play like children in previous generations were allowed to do. We are afraid they will be abducted/ molested/ injured so we keep them in the house where they sit on their butts on the couch munching junk food in front of a TV or computer screen. When will United States wake up to this issue?

July 11, 2012 at 09:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Karen

To all of thoese who posted comments:

I am currently a Physical Education and Health Teacher. I have taught in Elementary School and currently teach in a Middle School. I have my Master's Degree and did my rerearch on Phyical Activity's effect on the brain's function. The research overwheleming shows that a well oxygenated brain can function better and retain more information. Many of the posts speak of horror stories from the past, I am sorry you were subjected to things you found uncomfortable. It is my expirence that if you only provide "recess" time for children two groups will form. The one group will play hostile, violent overtone games as they learn from TV or video games.Group two will stand aroung and chat about each other (this is major cause of emotional bulling). Children of al ages need to be taught how to keep their body healthy by eatting correctly and moving their body in some activity that they enjoy. (Have any of you watched the movie "WALL-E ?) I see students who live with grown ups who teach them nothing about anyting! A lot, but not all, parents want the students to learn everything about life at school, so the parents do not have to assume the responsibility of raising their children to be productive adults.
    Students need to learn about their body, how it works, and how to take care of it. Remeber we only get one body to use in a lifetime! Parents and schools need to share this responsibility.

Physical Education today is so different that just 10 or 15 years ago. Students are encouraged to try all activies and then focus on the ones they enjoy. Some students like volleyball, some do not. A quality Phycical EDUCATION class should offer enough variety to satisfy most students. If your child's school is not offering quality Physical Education, then get to your school board meetings and start the change! To thoese people who did not like PE class let me just leave you with this thought: there are many things in life we enjoy and many things we do not enjoy, but a lot of things need to be done if you want to be happy and healthy. I do not like to clean house, but I don't want to live in a pig pen, so I clean my house. If you want to live a long healthy life.You have to LEARN how to take care of your body and your brain. Physical EDUCATION teaches thoese two all important skills.

July 11, 2012 at 16:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • BruceNY

There is no arguing that being fit improves your brain functions: in case anyone had forgotten, we still use our brains in order to move our limbs. Moving gracefully requires incredible neuron coordination.
      Kids are missing a truly general,functional physical education. I don't think offering variety is a solution: youare simply offering a wider array of SPECIALIZED activities that focus on scoring points more than personal development. Unfortunately, the manuals that teach true whole body development have been lost: have you ever heard of Georges Hebert? He his the father of the "natural method". Getting past the philosophy, he wrote excellent physical education books with brillant excercises. To my knowledge,they've never officially been translated from french and they're not even available for sale, because the rights have expired and they're free if you can find them. There is an unnoficial translation on a Parkour site, but that's it. I'm lucky enough to speak french and have found a few scans from the Harvard library, and even though it might not mean much from an underground athlete, I'll say this: his way of training would cost nothing to the schools and make physical education a much, much more interesting and beneficial experience for the kids and society at large.

July 29, 2012 at 23:01 | Report abuse |
  41. Darren

My kids prefer playing online games to running around in the garden. Don't really know how to make them interested in being more active.

July 16, 2012 at 14:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • BruceNY

Online games rely on a simple action/reward (or puzzle/solution/reward) mechanism to get your kids addicted. As ridiculous as it sounds, you can try to replicate that in real life. If you really want your kids to go in the garden, hide a few bucks once in a while in random places in the garden and tell them that from now on, there is money to be made searching the garden and that it shall be their only income. Once in a while, you hide it in pinatas and they have to beat it with baseball bat in order to get the m...wait, on second thought, let them play video games...

July 29, 2012 at 23:47 | Report abuse |
  42. BruceNY

Kids are not lazy. When you make a kid walk, perform jumping jacks and suicide runs, you are boring the kids. When you put an entire class in front of the same rope and instruct every single kid to climb it, and your only way to deal with those who can't is to tell them to try again, you fail as an educator. I'm pretty new to the "sports" thing: a year ago, I was fat and had no previous sports experience, I hated sports and loved video games. I met a guy, he showed me a way to train that made complete sense. Today, you'll be lucky if you can get a dog to catch me, and I regularely train to the level of the USMC PT tests. A kid came up to me the other week and asked me for tips on how to do a handstand and I was glad to oblige. Since then, I have seen him practicing nearly every day with two of his buddies. I saw them today and the original kid can hold a handstand for about 5-7 seconds. He has balancing skills that put 90% of the adult athletes to shame. Kids are not lazy, they're bored, difference...

July 29, 2012 at 22:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. gevewheks

диета доктора миркина отзывы

August 6, 2012 at 17:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. LynnTN

I'm reading this because I found out today my 5th grader will have NO recess this year. PE until Christmas break then he will sub with Music. How will he be able to SIT AND LEARN ALL DAY LONG??????? Could you do that as an adult? I cried all the way home. Horrible, horrible way for a child to live. Death row prisoners see the sunshine more.

August 10, 2012 at 21:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Vikash

Luv ya, ur techz r deh bezt .wish u waz in NYC when TimeWarnerCable conked out erialer today taking down both mai internet & tv .da funniest bit was the recording on their customer service line telling us there is a problem in your area, we're working on it .have you considered switching to TimeWarner for your phone service? If I had, that would have been down too & I couldn't have called them.

September 11, 2012 at 21:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Katniss

Oh wow... PLEASE STOP! Don't you see... If some people are really concerned about fat kids then make them do P.E not ALL of us want that!! I'm 13 and I speak for me and a lot of people that HATE P.E...
    I get enough exercise, I go to dancing classes, I dance at home, I ride my bicycle, swim a lot, do workouts and play sports with people I feel comfortable with. NOT like school P.E, it's really uncomfortable to be around other kids that are mean or you just don't know, i'm not good at sports in P.E class at school because the environment for me is annoying and I could be doing a ton of other important things. and even if in some schools they let you sit around (not mine) it's still uncomfortable when people are watching you like you are an alien because you are not playing , so make the fat kids go there. Are you really gonna make us all go there just because of the fat kids fault?

November 10, 2012 at 19:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. mutin103

Soo some kids are fat... big deal.

March 7, 2013 at 09:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Auto Wassen

Thanks for the very informative post! I really enjoyed it. I will keep an eye on your website for the future. Greetz from the Netherlands!

September 25, 2014 at 06:02 | Report abuse | Reply