home
RSS
June 27th, 2012

FDA approves drug to treat some obese, overweight adults

Some people who suffer from chronic weight issues may soon get some help from a pill.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration Wednesday approved Belviq, or lorcaserin hydrochloride, to be combined with a reduced-calorie diet and exercise, for treatment of chronic weight problems.

Specifically, the FDA says, it is approved for overweight or obese adults who have one or more medical conditions due to their weight, such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes or high cholesterol.

The FDA says the drug works by activating a receptor in the brain that helps a person to eat less and still feel full.

In trials, 47% of patients without type 2 diabetes lost at least 5% of their body weight. By comparison, 23% of patients treated with placebo lost at least 5% of their weight. In people with type 2 diabetes, 38% of patients on Belviq lost at least 5% of their body weight compared to 16% on placebo, according to the FDA.

"The results overall are quite modest," said Dr. Melina Jampolis, a physician nutrition specialist and CNN's diet and fitness expert. "But most experts agree that even a 5% weight loss has significant implications in terms of reducing the risk of obesity associated diseases including heart disease and diabetes."

The FDA says the manufacturer of Belviq, Arena Pharmaceuticals, will be required to conduct six postmarketing studies, including a long term cardiovascular trial to assess the risk of heart attack and stroke.

CNNMoney: Arena surges on weight loss drug approval

The most common side effects of Belviq in non-diabetic patients include headache, dizziness and fatigue; and in diabetic patients low blood sugar and pain, according to the FDA.

1. serdich

Loosing weight is easy: Eat less, exercise more...period.

June 28, 2012 at 11:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Common Sense

Indeed. But fat people are too lazy and fat to do the free, smart, and healthy option. Goes with the territory.

June 28, 2012 at 11:56 | Report abuse |
    • Valentijn

No, not "period". It simply does not work for many people. And in at least some cases, those reasons are medical. Exercise makes me extremely ill. I probably can't use most of the calories I eat, but if I cut them back I get sicker as well. People need to get the underlying problems fixed instead of just calling us lazy idiots.

June 28, 2012 at 11:58 | Report abuse |
    • Common Sense

So... you eat less, you get sick? You excercise, you get sick...? Uhhhh okay. Salads shouldn't make you sick, but you probably just don't like the taste. And exercise isn't making you ill.... It's called soreness and lactic acid. I havn't ever heard of anyone being allergic... But maybe you are?

June 28, 2012 at 12:06 | Report abuse |
    • jasmine

So true so true! People just need to be more aware of the junk that is being eaten. Conveinant foods are the biggest no-no! Take a pill and then what............stop taking it and gain weight. Go on a diet.................go off the diet and gain the weight. You see its all about what you put into your body for fuel. Want to be healthy............eat right or it will be a neverending cycle! People must change the way they think about obesity.

June 28, 2012 at 12:07 | Report abuse |
    • jasmine

Instead of fried chicken ...try baked. Instead of breaded and deep fried..... try broiled. Itsd not easy to change eating habits but if you just change little by little like this you WILL feel better. I do speak from experience as I DO have a chronic illness. However I do not need a pill.

June 28, 2012 at 12:16 | Report abuse |
    • Jack

What a bunch of idiots commenting, as usual. Not all weight problems are caused by overeating. There are many, many people overweight due to medical issues such as thyroid conditions, menopause in women, reactions to certain medications, etc.

June 28, 2012 at 12:40 | Report abuse |
    • UseYourBrain

Not all overweight people are that way because of food. I have PCOS which causes drastic weight gain and messes up the body's hormones and metabolism. It makes it VERY difficult to lose weight. Ive been struggling for years and yes I eart right and not too much. I will admit there are a lot of people who are overweight out of convenience but not everyone.

June 28, 2012 at 12:41 | Report abuse |
    • Crocky

Totally agree. Started eating healthy, exercising daily...BOOM! 64 pounds gone in less than 6 months.

It can happen if you commit to it and have self-discipline. Even if you don't end up losing weight, eating healthy and exercising daily should be habits that everyone should have...there are exercises for people with many different disabilities online, so I don't want to hear ANY excuses.

June 28, 2012 at 12:47 | Report abuse |
    • Valentijn

It's called mitochondrial disease. Google it. Please note "exercise intolerance" on wikipedia on the page for it.

June 28, 2012 at 12:54 | Report abuse |
    • jasmine

@jack ............I think the name calling can stop. Open your mind.................you may be the very few I was NOT talking about.. Unless you were born with the condition how do you know what you have been eating all these yrs did not contribute to any disease?

June 28, 2012 at 12:58 | Report abuse |
    • jasmine

@Jack .....................besides ...........the majority of people who are obese DO NOT eat right.

June 28, 2012 at 13:02 | Report abuse |
    • gypsarella

Yes, of course eating less and burning it off will cause weight loss. There are thyroid issues, pulmonary issues, arthritis, back injuries, menopause....and those are just some of the hurdles. There are facts to learn, such as if you think you're dieting by starving yourself all day to eat one meal in the evening, your metabolism will think you are really starving so burn very low and therefore you will not lose weight. People must be taught to eat several meals a day with protein (for fuel) and vegetables and fruit with very small amounts of carbohydrates to kick up the metabolism. By the time obesity and/or age sets in it's twice as hard to lose a significant amount of weight. With illness it is possible to consume under 1000 calories a day and stay 20 pounds overweight if you just sit or lay.

June 28, 2012 at 13:07 | Report abuse |
    • Agreed

Fat people need to change the record in their heads.. stop being a victim and do something about it. Most people who fail on their diets quit waaaay before they should. This pill makes you less hungry, but that's not going to make you lose weight if you never exercise. Eventually, your body will adapt to less calories, you metabolism will decrease and you'll end up stalling on your diet or beginning to gain weight. Then, the problem becomes more serious. If you stop taking the pill and go back to your old eating habits, your body will hoard the calories and you'll gain even more weight. Sorry, but you absolutely MUST exercise. Otherwise, you're screwed. There is no magic bullet to this. It'll give you a little push, but ultimately, it's not going to solve your problem. 100% of the obese people I know (and I live in Chicago so there's a lot of them) do not eat right. Log your calories, you'd be freaking amazed at the amount of garbage you eat in a day.

June 28, 2012 at 13:35 | Report abuse |
    • Ding

You called it. There isn't a "magic pill". EVERYONE KNOWS how to conquer the crisis...push away from the table and exercise. The problem is that no one is listening. Additionally, our culture is "allergic" to pain and discomfort, i.e., refraining from eating too much, and anything related to exercise, such as labored breathing, sore muscles, sweating, etc.

June 28, 2012 at 14:04 | Report abuse |
    • Fit and Fitness

To common sense; ya mama.

June 28, 2012 at 18:27 | Report abuse |
    • andy

I'm overweight and I'm not lazy. I do crossfit three times a week and cardio six times a week. I played rugby for 11 years on a semi-pro circuit. I'm not a fan of people who make generalizations. I think that's half the problems with this country, blame the many for the few. You don't know if someone doesn't have fibro or a chronic disease, you don't know what someone does to stay fit or how hard they've tried. If you're thin, you're probably best off leaving your judgements to yourself. Assumptions get you no where.

June 30, 2012 at 10:34 | Report abuse |
    • Joshl

gypsarella – I lost a ton of weight (over 50 lbs) one summer 10 years ago and kept it off after that. I had more energy, exercised and felt great just eating once a day. I got used to it and after about 6 months I lost my addiction to food and began eating out of necessity and only when I was hungry and never thought of food the rest of the day. It is interesting to see people write entire paragraphs of misinformation... Then, later in life, I injured my back and was in constant pain without healthcare. I started drinking a lot to numb the pain and sleep at night. I ended up gaining weight. I was able to fix my back after years by swimming and when I felt better I went on a 30 day pure water fast and lost 45 lbs and kept it off after that. So really, there are plenty of ways to LOSE weight, it is KEEPING weight off that counts and you are just as likely (or unlikely) to keep weight off no matter which way you choose to get there, so I say, do whatever works for you and give it your all and once you lose the weight, fight like heck to keep it off. Sometime it can be easier to stick to a new diet after you have crashed your way down to your goal weight cause now you don't have all that fat pumping hormones into your system and bringing you down.

June 30, 2012 at 18:08 | Report abuse |
    • cheryl

eat right and exercise is the answer but its not simple, you have to change the way you think about food you in order to change your health. until people understand food is for nourishment and energy they will continue to have weight issues- there is no magic bullet pill.

July 10, 2012 at 18:18 | Report abuse |
  2. BrendaLea

I'm a recovering
    Anorexic/ bulemic who is
    Learning how to
    Eat intuitively.
    These rude,
    Judgemental comments make me very tempted to return to former habits that nearly killed me. Looks can be
    Decieving ... And
    There's no excuse for rudeness. Ur hurtful comments may
    Be ur way of
    Trying to make a difference but
    Without knowing
    It u may be doing more harm than good. Pls dnt misunderstand
    What I am trying
    To express! Tho
    U may have a point to make- without compassion u may be pushing
    Someone into
    Trading one
    Unhealthy habit
    For another that
    Is equally as harmful and deadly. Do u really want to be responsible for
    That?? I have
    Known a lot of
    Ppl that were
    Rude like u and
    Nearly died just
    Trying to satisfy
    Them so they wld stop being so hurtful. It didnt work. We
    Cant change
    Another person.
    All we can do is
    Try to be a positive influence in their
    Life. It isnt always easy to do. Believe me!
    It wasnt easy for me to make this
    Comment but
    Maybe someone will read it and it will do some good... This article offers hope to a great
    Deal of ppl and
    Perhaps it will do some good!
    I am NOT going
    To stand n
    Judgement of it
    Or of someone
    Who is on it. My
    Hope is that if it
    Ever is sold as an otc drug they
    Will keep it behind the counter so young kids that
    R'nt obese cant
    Get to it!!

June 28, 2012 at 11:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • I hate you - haha

R'nt??? really?

June 28, 2012 at 11:50 | Report abuse |
    • Common Sense

Of course this comment wasn't easy for you to write... look at the grammar, puncatuation, and formatting.

June 28, 2012 at 11:59 | Report abuse |
    • jasmine

Dont be weak and let other peoples opinions affect you in that way. If this is really going to make you go backwards leave the board for your own health...............you are in charge of it and no one else. I mean that sincerely.

June 28, 2012 at 12:20 | Report abuse |
    • Kevin O.

Then do it. Kill yourself.

June 28, 2012 at 13:20 | Report abuse |
    • Lori

To BrendaLea,
      I'm sorry some people aren't getting your message–I believe it is a very good one and that you make some valid points! Instead, the few that were rude, focused on your spelling, etc which, to me is rather ironic since they probably use that type of abbreviated communication every day while texting!
      Anyway, I wish you the best with your struggle regarding the eating disorder–we ALL have struggles. But not ALL of us are honest or brave enough to admit it. I struggle with obesity. I AM doing something about it, I DO enjoy salads, healthy foods etc. But yes, I have my weaknesses as well.
      Spewing hatred and/or judgement is never a solution. It is obvious you realize that–good for you!

June 28, 2012 at 18:44 | Report abuse |
    • Marie

BrendaLea, You wrote a great poem, and I for one, got it. Ignore the jerks... they will never change. Be happy with and in yourself. You will find such peace, from my own experience.

June 28, 2012 at 23:58 | Report abuse |
    • Dauntae

I agree with Jasmine and Lori, don't you ever allow others who are putting you down have a negative effect upon your existence and goals. This is a serious issue here, live for yourself and not these mindless, unsympathetic individuals who cannot even understand what it may be to walk in your shoes. Do what you have to to get healthy!

June 29, 2012 at 12:14 | Report abuse |
    • stateschool

It was very brave of you to type that. I think you're going to be just fine. Please don't ever make life and death decisions based on anything you read on an anonymous comment page. It's important to remember that these pages don't represent society as a whole – this is where all the rude, vile, and dangerous people go because we don't tolerate them face to face. Take care of yourself.

June 30, 2012 at 15:19 | Report abuse |
  3. I hate you - haha

Well, the FDA says its safe to use so it must not present a threat to the consumer...

June 28, 2012 at 11:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Rick

Most of these type drugs have wound up being recalled in the past for killing people. I would wait to try it unless you're really desperate. Seek help from a support group, start slow and easy, and the most important thing is do not listen to judgmental jerks.

June 28, 2012 at 11:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Common Sense

The drug is called... SALADS. It will be competing with another drug called... EXCERCISE. Don't try to tell me obesity is now a disease... Since when? Dunk-a-roos were invented?

June 28, 2012 at 11:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Crocky

Salads can't be eating by everyone. As a warfarin patient, I have to be careful of my vitamin K intake: a nutrient that's found in abundance in leafy green vegetables. However, I have made sure to add a lot of fruits and vegetables that aren't as high in vitamin K to my diet and have gotten much healthier as a result.

There is no one solution to obesity, except for adopting healthier eating habits and regular exercise.

June 28, 2012 at 12:50 | Report abuse |
    • JC

Now, if only we can develop a drug to cure condescension, you can be absolutely perfect.

June 28, 2012 at 13:22 | Report abuse |
  6. The Doctor

It's all about the corn and the people who rule it, if you know what mean

June 28, 2012 at 12:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. palintwit

June 28, 2012 at 12:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • WildMontana

Yep, the fat teabaggers will be wanting and using it. Good thing for them the healthcare law will make it cheaper.

June 28, 2012 at 13:10 | Report abuse |
    • gantry

palintwit said >Those fat teabaggers with their misspelled protest signs will be buying this stuff by the truck load.<

And in addition those fat tea-baggers will be paying for all the fat liberals prescriptions too. Parasite leaches that they are.

June 28, 2012 at 13:26 | Report abuse |
  8. Jill

You want to know why America has an obesity problem? I just did a word search on every page of comments so far and only three people have mentioned lowering grain intake. If you lower your exorbitantly high carbohydrate intake down to a level which our ancestors would have eaten, you'll find that you'll probably lose weight.

On the medication issue, yes they can make you put on weight, but for some of them, the way they do that is to make you crave carbohydrates eg anti-depressants.

June 28, 2012 at 12:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MP

Jill after struggling for years to get in better shape and lose weight (I was never obese) I lowered my carb intake. Those that I do eat now are higher in fiber and protein so that they satisfy longer. I lost 30lbs in about 4 months. I couldn't agree with you more. Some say a calorie is a calorie. While this is technically true, if you replace the empty ones with the ones that build muscle and stave off hunger of course you will lose weight.

June 28, 2012 at 12:36 | Report abuse |
  9. Lisa

Stop being so judgmental. No one chooses to be fat. Medication, health issues, lack of money to buy nutritious food are a few of the reasons. Unless you are perfect do not be so self righteous.

June 28, 2012 at 12:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jasmine

The sate of our society makes it very difficult to eat properly. Most families that do have 2-parents,they both work. Families that one parent usually work making it difficult to get a good healthy meal on the table. Everything is rush rush! Nutritious food is extremely high priced . However if you spend the $ now on nutritious food ,more than likely you will not be paying for it later. Thats if you can afford it!

June 28, 2012 at 12:34 | Report abuse |
    • jasmine

*state

June 28, 2012 at 12:34 | Report abuse |
    • Misha

Lisa – I beg to differ. Yes – people DO choose to be overweight and to continue on and become OBESE. I know, because I am obese. I am 5'4 and weigh 219lbs. I have spent many hours crying over it also. But I blame NO ONE for this but myself. Nor do I blame ANY fast food chains...soda companies etc...etc. I CHOOSE to eat sweets instead of fruits. I CHOOSE to sit on the couch after work instead of excercising. I CHOOSE to sleep in on the weekend instead of getting up and getting ACTIVE! I CHOOSE to drink sweet tea instead of water on some instances. I could blame chronic illnesses, but I have none..at the moment that is. My doctors have informed me the rapid heartbeat I've developed could be because of my weight gain. Oh, and my knees hurting all of the sudden?? WEIGHT GAIN. And my blood pressure being elevated?? WEIGHT GAIN. Not sleeping good at night, fatigue during the day?? WEIGHT GAIN. And the really bad part of all this?? I have a 9 year old son. This is what causes my sadness. I DON'T want to pass this on to him. But I see it happening. Yes, I believe that in MOST instance we DO CHOOSE to be fat....unless it's our parents stuffing it down our mouths...then that's another story. I know I've GOT to change our present and his FUTURE.

June 28, 2012 at 13:08 | Report abuse |
    • eddantes

@Misha.

I admire your candor. I’m in great shape now, I lost 40 pounds in 2 years and I am managing to keep it off, it’s not easy, it’s a lot of work. I understood from the onset of my plan of losing weight that this would have to be a commitment for life, and trust me every day now when I wake up I feel terrific, so thankful that I made the right decision, I think of everyday as another day to get fit (I no longer want to lose weight), that’s right fit as in having a six pack fit.
      I completely changed my eating habits, weight gain is like a runaway train it doesn’t stop, it keeps going unless you make it stop.
      You can do this Misha, try it, give it all you have, instead of having a pound of skittles try a pound of Broccoli or some king of vegetable you like. Transforming your body is not going to happen overnight, just be patient, and when you see yourself losing weight, keep the momentum going don’t stop, take control of yourself, you can do this. It will all pay off at the end. Wishing your son health and happiness.

June 28, 2012 at 13:36 | Report abuse |
    • Misha

eddantes – Thank you so much for your kind words... I have actually printed them out for encouragement! Also, congratulations on your weight loss, an accomplishment to be proud of for sure. It's wonderful that you take the time to help others in their journey.

June 28, 2012 at 14:14 | Report abuse |
  10. Emmy

Some people just need a kick start to get their weight loss going. Don't judge, encourage!

June 28, 2012 at 12:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lisa Minelli

I do encourage by saying "Your fat ass disgusts me."

June 28, 2012 at 13:23 | Report abuse |
  11. Saboth

One thing is right: even a small loss in weight can have a big difference in your health. So don't think you need to lose 20, 50, 100 lbs or it doesn't matter. Even a few lbs can improve your health.

June 28, 2012 at 12:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. MK

So! Instead of the healthcare costs going to treat diabetes and other weigh-related illnesses, the cost will now cover the pills, the health issues resulting from those pills, and eventually back to the diabetes once the person stops using the pills that will have been pulled off the market due to health issues it causes. Good plan!

June 28, 2012 at 12:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Ed

It does not cost more to eat healthy. That's just one of the excuses some people use (the "victims").

June 28, 2012 at 12:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Crocky

Agreed. Once I got rid of the excuses and victim mentality, I found it fairly easy to change to a healthier lifestyle.

June 28, 2012 at 12:53 | Report abuse |
    • jasmine

I beg to differ. I dont know what part of the country you are in but when produce such as cherries are $5/lb bananas /.60/lb. It is very costly to eat properly

June 28, 2012 at 13:18 | Report abuse |
    • Yeeeah

Cherries may cost that much buuuuut...my health to live happier and longer is definitely worth it.

July 15, 2012 at 12:27 | Report abuse |
  14. eddantes

This pill is not going to work and here is why:

Let’s say some obese or fat person starts taking this pill, exercising and DIETING! Very good, the person drops 10 pounds in let’s say 3 weeks, and then as usual they forget about the pill and the person goes back to eating garbage again, the 10 pounds that were drop double a week later. The reason why a pill or DIET doesn’t work is because in order to maintain weight loss the person has to make a commitment with her/himself and change their eating habits with the incorporation of behavioral pattern changes, some type of exercise in particular.
    Diets don’t work; advertisements such as “Lose 10 pounds in 12 days” are a waste of money and time, what happens in day 13?
    Oh! Well, the diet companies are making millions but in reality all is so simple.

June 28, 2012 at 12:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • will

How dumb are you? Did you really not read the study? Pathetic. What makes you think someone would stop doing something that works, when the pill helps keep the hunger away?

July 1, 2012 at 01:26 | Report abuse |
  15. ready

I have a new drug for you all here, its free. Its called not eating like a fat person.

June 28, 2012 at 12:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. brian

people need to educate themselves on nutrition. it should be mandatory education from a young age. labeling, serving sizes, value of eating the right foods. no more mcdonalds, bk, wendys, sonic, or the other 100 food chains with a thousand grams of fat. process foods, read the label folks. less added sugars and carbs. more slow digesting grains so you dont spike your insulin. the thing with going on a diet is....at some point you will be off a diet. same with a pill. really one should just encourage healthy eating habits throughout. and exercise. dont make excuses for it, just do it.

June 28, 2012 at 12:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jasmine

Well said concerning the majority.

June 28, 2012 at 13:04 | Report abuse |
  17. Thor88

Only in amerika... can a pill solve all of your problems... accountability anyone?

June 28, 2012 at 13:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Name*I love you "ha ha"

This was just for information,that people where interested in ,not for all these unnecessary comments.

June 28, 2012 at 13:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Steve

Why is it that so many americans are fat because of "medical conditions" like hypothyroid, PCOD, etc... but, when I have spent time in 3rd world countries I don't see a single fat person? Do those "medical conditions" not exist there? Or, could it be the the garbage food we eat effects our thyroid, hormones, etc...
    It's all about lifestyle, quit living life thinking you are a victim. Take responsibility for your choices and your current health.
    Step one, cut out grains and dairy as much as possible.... Give it a month and see how much better you feel.

June 28, 2012 at 13:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • PLZ

well said

June 28, 2012 at 13:51 | Report abuse |
    • Miss Dynamite

It's because they die.

June 29, 2012 at 14:42 | Report abuse |
    • Ashley

I recently started the paleo diet, which essentially eliminates processed foods, all grains and dairy. This lets you eat as much fruits, veggies, and meat as you want, and I feel amazing. I lost a significant amout of weight and have more energy then I could imagine. The first few days of the diet I was starving but after a while I just don't feel the need to eat as much. I also have a severe chronic disease which limits intense exercise, but I do what I can and am in general healthier for it. As for this pill, I think its a good starting point for a life style change and may actually encourage people to eat healthier and exercise but its not a solution.

July 12, 2012 at 12:06 | Report abuse |
  20. Smart Human

Massively good stock (ARNA) to buy right now! HUGE upside potential to double or quadruple your investment within 1-2 years. Arena Pharma is giant success right now and Belviq is a "golden egg" investment. Think about it – a fat pill in an obese world!

June 28, 2012 at 13:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Barry G.

Is the drug chocolate flavored?

June 28, 2012 at 13:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Barry G.

Now all we need is a drug that will exercise for us!

June 28, 2012 at 13:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Charlesstoob

wh0cd770900 cheap viagra zetia arimidex 1mg

August 29, 2017 at 08:04 | Report abuse |
  23. Steven Hoefgen

A pill for every ill...

June 28, 2012 at 13:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. palintwit

FACT: Female teabaggers are more likely to have mustaches than male teabaggers.

June 28, 2012 at 13:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. PLZ

What a joke, another pill...all the exceptions come out and proclaim they are the rule. I'd venture to say 95% of obesity is preventable and involves no underlying condition (thyroid problems, mitochondrial disease). Start popping these pills and create more problems for yourself.

June 28, 2012 at 13:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. diaryofmistakes

There are people out there that struggle to lose weight no matter what they do. I'm on the other end whereas I can eat for four hours straight, sit on my couch until going to bed and not gain a pound. I don't get it. I don't exercise and I don't eat healthy. So, as much as I will agree that there are some people who are rather gluttonous, I wish people would stop being judgemental and say that the majority are. Even if they were at some point, they are not going to start eating better and exercise and "POOF" the weight is gone. It's a battle and not an easy one. However, those trying to lose weight should stick with it without the help of a drug. You're not the healthiest right now so why introduce a chemical into your system? Don't give up. It's just going to take some time, but turn to your family and friends for encouragement.

June 28, 2012 at 13:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Bernadine

I have P. T. S. D. and Panic Attacks.. and overeating is something some people do to try to "fix" their trauma. Then the medications you are given (which the drs. don't usually warn you) make you gain weight. Dr. won't give me diet medication because I have high blood pressure...so I'm hoping he will let me try this new one. I read that there are 3 other pres. diet pills that either have been approved or are hoping to get approved.

June 28, 2012 at 14:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. adam l

a question from a Canadian... What's a Teabagger? is it those in that "Grass roots movement" the Tea Party? and are they typically fans of Ted Nugent?

June 28, 2012 at 14:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • palintwit

Yes. And they prefer to live in trailer parks and they like to date their cousins.

June 28, 2012 at 14:54 | Report abuse |
  29. adam l

and Bernadine, please do yourself a foavour, and do not try this pill. if the first one made you gain weight, and the second one you cant take safely, this third one is not a God-send. I also suffer from Panic attacks and Anxiety disorder. it's alll in our heads, including gaining weight. number one way to lose weight. gain an active hobby. I started biking.

June 28, 2012 at 14:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • PLZ

nice...active hobby for mental and physical health

June 28, 2012 at 23:40 | Report abuse |
    • will

I'm sorry, where did you say you got your medical degree from? Stupid Speculation University? It's operating on COMPLETELY different levels than previous diet pills, many of which dangerously altered the metabolism. All this does is take away the pain of hunger your body produces when it wants to be back at its unhealthy weight. Will it work? Who knows. But to say "ah, don't try it. I know for a fact it can't work" is completely ignorant. Stop being ignorant.

July 1, 2012 at 01:31 | Report abuse |
    • greginsgo

Will, That's a pretty vitriolic reaction to what is usually good advice, don't take a pill until you are absolutely certain that you need it and that it is not going to result in side effects. You must be long on the company that is selling this pill. How many shares did buy and how much are you hoping to make? And please don't bother spewing any of your snide remarks at me, I am 6'2" and weigh 160 with the same waist size I had when I was 21 (I am 48 now). I am also a biological engineering student with a 3.7 gpa so I doubt there is anything you can say to me that is going to stick. I hope you lose your shirt and maybe I will short the company that is producing this drug so I can profit off of your loss.

July 1, 2012 at 10:17 | Report abuse |
  30. lollie26

For the past two months I've been working out for two hours a day, four times a week in an un-airconditioned boxing gym (in South Texas–it's HOT). It's a rigorous, exhausting work out, but I always feel empowered when I get through it. I've been eating very light breakfasts and lunches and no dinner (I'm too tired and hot to eat after working out). However, I've only been able to lose seven pounds. It's very discouraging to work so hard and see such small results. I've got a long way to go and I don't plan to give up, but it's very daunting to know how far away my forty pound goal is. I've got friends who only want to lose 10 pounds that moan and groan at how hard it is to lose-can you imagine how hard it would be if you were obese, to have to look at losing over 100 pounds, and how easy it would be to give up? Try putting yourselves in someone else's shoes before you judge them. Losing weight and staying motivated is hard.

June 28, 2012 at 14:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Overweight

Read "Eat to Live"

June 29, 2012 at 12:24 | Report abuse |
    • greginsgo

Lollie, I would suggest you change your regimen to include muscle building exercises to add muscle mass. In order to gain muscle you will have to take in enough healthy calories to allow your body to actually build those muscles so extreme restriction of calories may be part of your problem. If you eat a normal amount of calories and start to add anaerobic exercises to build muscle then you will see your overall metabolism rise. I would suggest you concentrate on the major muscles groups like back, shoulders, and legs. Once you have gain 5 to 10 pounds in muscle then you can try to shift back to aerobic exercises, and maybe further calorie restrictions, to tone and trim the other areas of your body.

July 1, 2012 at 10:24 | Report abuse |
    • Katie

You're overworking yourself and not eating enough. Check out crossfit exercises – short bursts of activity that will keep you burning fat for hours after. And you NEED to eat small meals 200-300 calories every 2-3 hours that you're awake. Otherwise your body goes into starvation mode and does not release fat from the cells. Good luck on your weight loss! You can do it!

July 25, 2012 at 12:45 | Report abuse |
  31. neal

Why can't we infect Africa with some of our overweight "disease"? If there is ever a disease that can make one put on more weight than calories consumed, why can't we export that disease to Africa children? We need research on that because it is the humane thing to do.

June 28, 2012 at 15:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • will

Well, North Africa already is, apparently. Try doing some research before the snide comments.

July 1, 2012 at 01:33 | Report abuse |
  32. PPJr

To achieve a feeling of fullness, while dieting, stuff yourself with something low-cal, like a salad (with the iceberg lettuce as a main ingredient). Use olive oil and vinegar as a dressing. That's safer than any drug, even the one approved by FDA.

June 28, 2012 at 17:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. steve h

i hope the medication causes gas with an oily discharge, increased bowel movements with an inability to control them and gas with chunks. Get real people. We are a fat nation. The only nation on Earth trying to loose weight. Everyone else is trying to gain weight or just eat. Super size me please! Stop making excuses and take responsibility. It is SO easy to eat right and maintain a normal weight. NO drug or surgery is the answer. It's pretty common sense. Eat right, exercise and stop blaming everyone else.

June 28, 2012 at 22:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • will

Wow. Your statement is ignorant on SO many levels. So many factual errors, especially the "we're the only country with this problem" idiocy, the "it's simple" idiocy, and the "I'm not a doctor, but I know pills can't work" idiocy. Get an education, please.

July 1, 2012 at 01:35 | Report abuse |
  34. goingforit

I have PCOS it is a horrid experince for me. i SWIM 3HRS A DAY in the morning. I watch what I eat and drink only water and unsweet tea. I eat fruits, vegatables, and lean meats. Despite this and the fact that I do try well my friends can drop twenty to thirty pounds I am lucky to drop 5 or 6 pounds. Because my hormones don't work right. I am sorry THAT according to some of you I am a OBESE waste of space. But I push myself and I envy those of you who if you seriously try can simply drop weight. I wish diet and excerise made everything better but for some of us it doesn't.

June 29, 2012 at 00:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. shari

Actually I believe it's all the food that man has processed that is causing a majority of obesity!

June 29, 2012 at 08:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Bryan

Yes, it may be hard for some people to lose weight. But it is science. A lb of fat is 3500 calories. Calories are burned by expending energy. If someone is being active, they are burning calories. That is how energy works. It is not magic.

June 29, 2012 at 11:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Overweight

Ok, I was one of those people who LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to eat, I am a chocoholic, chipsholic etc. my BMI was 30 BUT I read “Live to Eat” and checked out the papers Dr. Furhman (the author) has cited (I am a biochemist with a Ph.D. so I can recognize sound research when I see one).
    I went from 192 pounds to 175 in 5 weeks WITHOUT exercise or pills AND I have not starved myself! The secret in a nutshell – 1 pound raw vegetables, 1 pound cooked vegetables, 1 cup beans, 4 fruits and some nuts and seeds daily (yes, meat and dairy are allowed but there are rules to keep in mind). Within 3 days on this I stopped having cravings; I have had neither chocolate nor chips in a month… and its not me, I have no will power what so ever when it come to food, trust me – my body just knows what’s best for it and adapts accordingly. It looks like a miracle but its simply Nature at its best. Go to the library and borrow “Live to Eat” before you put the latest “magic pill” in your mouth, you will not regret it! Good luck!
    P.S. Now that I feel lighter I am thinking of starting some interval walking couple of times a week (BEFORE the thought of exercise would not even cross my mind…)

June 29, 2012 at 12:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Dauntae

My question is, what ingredients are in this pill? It cannot be all-natural....the side affects alone tells you that. We should think twice about developing drugs that don't completely aid the body-the imbalance doesn't make sense to me. This sounds like another way big business seeks to make money, citizens: we have free information before us all the time (laptops, computers, libraries, maybe even join a friend or family member who is well informed) research on your own; check the sources and self-discipline. Read ingredients and nutrition labels, research contents you don't know; or go strictly organic. Items that state "All Natural" definitely read ingredients, it's not always without additives. I wish you well on losing weight people!

June 29, 2012 at 12:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Overweight

Oppps...sorry...its "Eat to Live"

June 29, 2012 at 12:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. TS

Why are we obese? Its not simple, but 90% is laziness and food company advertising. As my Duaghter, a Psych Student explained to me, she learned in her Eating Disorders class that in 1978 (when I was 14) the average 14 Y/O consumed 1970 calories a day, in 2004, when she was 14 that number had risen to 2,700 calories a day!!!
    In 1978 when I was 14 the only thing I could do for fun, was GO OUTSIDE and PLAY all day long (=EXERCISE). Today why would a 14 Y/O go outside to play when they can sit on their ass and play baseball, basketball, ride a bike on thier PS3 or Xbox??

The answer is STOP consuming as much and get outside and exercise! I lost 50 lbs 4 years ago and have kept it off! I feel great!

June 29, 2012 at 15:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. anon

Alot of people have obesity because of hormonal or problems with their bodies. However, I think what many overlook is that it was years and years of eating poorly that caused their bodies to malfunction to begin with.

I really think it's time folks to do more research into alternative medicines and body detox cleansings in order to get their systems back in balance. This way, the hormones will balance out, and healthy foods will be better processed and the energy burnt. Homeopathic approach might be the way to go.

June 30, 2012 at 13:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • agreed

Regardless of whether or not this healthcare law is a good idea, I still hope the govt. will find a way to merge traditional medicine and homeopathic medicine in order to form a more balanced healthcare for the American people.

Most insurances refuse to cover homeopathic approaches, and I think this is a crying shame. Also many in traditional medicine and the FDA refuse to promote or encourage ANYTHING that hasn't been controlled by them regardless of whether or not it works. Grapefruit seed extract, and oregeno oil come to mind. These are EXCELLENT antifungals, and body cleansers, yet you won't hear a peep from the medical community. Also the yeast overgrowth many suffer from that prohibits health and weightloss isn't discussed. Why? The FDA doesn't control it, and therefore can't require a prescription.

Always about the money.

June 30, 2012 at 13:46 | Report abuse |
    • will

In other words, let's try letting the science for this pill play out, and ignore the non-science nonsense of homeopathic 'remedies' (placebos).

July 1, 2012 at 01:40 | Report abuse |
    • will

Do you guys even KNOW what homeopathy is? It's the diluting of random crap to the point that no molecules are in it. It's a placebo. It's worthless. This pill, on the other hand, is showing promise in the early scientific trials. Something no homeopath drug EVER has. So yes, it is a potential part of a solution for some people. Your homeopathy is a waste of time and money.

July 1, 2012 at 01:51 | Report abuse |
  42. gregingso

My suggestion, and it is only a suggestion as I am certainly no expert in this field, is for those trying to lose weight to first add muscle mass; even if that means a temporary gain in total weight. The more muscle mass a person carries the more calories they will burn throughout the day. The basic problem is our bodies have evolved to require a certain amount of calories with the expectation that a certain amount of physical exertion would be required just to stay alive. Carrying water, looking for food, hunting and gathering and even fighting for your life requires muscles that modern humans just do not develope in today's lifestyles. If someone who is trying to lose weight would start resistance training and add say just 10 pounds of muscle then their bodies would be more in tune with their evolutionary requirements and they would burn more calories and lose weight a little easier. Too many dieters try to burn the calories off through aerobic exercise when what they should be doing is anarobic exercises to add muscle and rev up their metabolisms. Just a suggestion to those who have tried everything else without results.

June 30, 2012 at 22:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. AZ

lets make three compartments in our stomachs..One for food..one for water and one for air....and say goodbye to obesity

July 1, 2012 at 10:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. eroteme

If Bloomberg's banning of 32oz sugary sodas solves the obesity problem we will not need Belviq. I undersand Bloomberg is now working on a plan that will prohibit those who might slurp two 16oz sugary sodas to replace their 32oz sugary sodas..

July 1, 2012 at 17:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. arctides

My first thought when reading this article was the Adipose drug from Doctor Who, which uses excess fat in humans (although other tissues can be used) to spawn new-born Adipose aliens. I say wait a few months after it becomes available and see if anyone you know who's taking it unexpectedly collapses into a pile of alien cellulite babies.

July 1, 2012 at 18:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. balkan pharma

The obesity is one of the most current and popular issues through which many of the people are suffering. I too suffered with the same problem and through this blog find the solution The drugs produced in the site about the obesity is really works well. The members should be really appreciated for providing such an valuable information about the measures and also who has the approval of the FDA.

July 2, 2012 at 05:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Christina indovina

I have tried diet after diet combined with exercise 30 minutes a day and watching what I eat and it's still very hard to lose the weight, I have a friend that told me about a vitamin supplement called Plexus Slim, I was reluctant at 1st and thought I've tried everything and it's just not working for me so why not try this and it was the best decision I've made. Plexus Slim has several products, the plexus slim/accelerator is the best thing I ever done for myself I'm continuing to lose the weight and doing it healthy. Plexus Slim is all natural way to lose weight, theirs no caffeine, no stimulants and is not a meal replacement. It helps keep blood sugar,cholesterol, and lipids at healthy levels and reduces binge eating.
    Go to http://www.plexusslim.com/christina251

You won't regret it!

July 5, 2012 at 22:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. mindset

The real problem in America these days is the fact that everyone expects to lose all this weight fast, and expect it to be easy. Many of these diseases come from an unhealthy lifestyle, whether it be theres or a generation or so behind them... not all but quite a few. I hear a lot of excuses on this page, give me a break. I'm sure your medication/ condition made you gain weight. Ask your physician how you can lose that weight in a healthy manner... hmm. Even if someone were to lose 2 lbs a month, that is still progress. Rome wasn't built in a day.

p.s.
    unless you're a genetic freak or a seasoned veteran, doing crossfit more than three days a week is going backwards and really breaks down your body in a negative way. Food for thought for just a couple of you.

July 8, 2012 at 03:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. replica louis vuitton bags

My wife and i have been now thankful that Edward managed to do his homework while using the precious recommendations he discovered when using the web pages. It's not at all simplistic to simply continually be giving away things that many many others might have been selling. So we do know we now have the writer to appreciate for this. The most important explanations you made, the simple blog navigation, the friendships you make it easier to foster – it's most great, and it's letting our son and our family reckon that the article is fun, and that is especially pressing. Many thanks for the whole thing! replica louis vuitton bags

July 10, 2012 at 02:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. TRE

It comes down to physics. When your body expends more energy than it takes in it must take energy that is stored in your body (via muscle and/or fat). If you consume more energy than your body uses it stores that energy.

I know there are medical conditions (thyroid for example) that make it difficult for people to lose weight, but the simple principle is still sound. A pill is not going to increase your energy output while you are sitting on the couch or magically remove the excess calories from the food you are eating.

The traditional method of exercise and healthy eating will always be the determining factor in successful and meaningful weight loses.

July 19, 2012 at 14:19 | Report abuse | Reply