home
RSS
June 27th, 2012

FDA approves drug to treat some obese, overweight adults

Some people who suffer from chronic weight issues may soon get some help from a pill.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration Wednesday approved Belviq, or lorcaserin hydrochloride, to be combined with a reduced-calorie diet and exercise, for treatment of chronic weight problems.

Specifically, the FDA says, it is approved for overweight or obese adults who have one or more medical conditions due to their weight, such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes or high cholesterol.

The FDA says the drug works by activating a receptor in the brain that helps a person to eat less and still feel full.

In trials, 47% of patients without type 2 diabetes lost at least 5% of their body weight. By comparison, 23% of patients treated with placebo lost at least 5% of their weight. In people with type 2 diabetes, 38% of patients on Belviq lost at least 5% of their body weight compared to 16% on placebo, according to the FDA.

"The results overall are quite modest," said Dr. Melina Jampolis, a physician nutrition specialist and CNN's diet and fitness expert. "But most experts agree that even a 5% weight loss has significant implications in terms of reducing the risk of obesity associated diseases including heart disease and diabetes."

The FDA says the manufacturer of Belviq, Arena Pharmaceuticals, will be required to conduct six postmarketing studies, including a long term cardiovascular trial to assess the risk of heart attack and stroke.

CNNMoney: Arena surges on weight loss drug approval

The most common side effects of Belviq in non-diabetic patients include headache, dizziness and fatigue; and in diabetic patients low blood sugar and pain, according to the FDA.

1. Cortanis

Not seeing anything on being over the counter. Their are already treatments for obesity that you have to see a doctor for.

June 28, 2012 at 02:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • chefdugan

What they really need is a drug that gives those fat people some backbone so they can exert a little self-discipline. Then they need an anti-ugly drug to finish the job.All this does is enable fat, ugly people (an oxymoron) so they don't have to make a choice. What a farce!

June 28, 2012 at 09:58 | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

How easy it is to point fingers at overweight people. My mom struggled with her weight for years. Was put on medication which made it impossible to work out due to side effects. Don't judge! You have no idea what some people go through. I do want to say I think it is interesting that the FDA won't look at Natural Supplements that work better then the drug companies crap! I found an all natural supplement that helped me lose over 50lbs. Is it a miracle pill ...no...but it HELPED me eat less and move more. email me if you want more info redwife21ataol.com

June 28, 2012 at 10:23 | Report abuse |
    • Rich K.

"Melissa", your spamming a55 needs to get a real job

June 28, 2012 at 10:37 | Report abuse |
    • Rik James

The treatment for obesity is prevention. If this country would fund preventative public health, we wouldn't spend 18% of our GDP on healthcare. Instead we spend 2% of the health budget on prevention, and 98% on curative medicine. What this nation could use is a little common sense and some self-control.

June 28, 2012 at 10:58 | Report abuse |
    • Anna

The food was changed in the USA, UK and Australia 30 years ago when dangerous food chemicals from the USA was allowed into European. The food today causes stubborn insulin If you have stubborn insulin you hold fat and have a hard time losing weight. You can eat very little and the weight still does not come off. Stubborn insulin will hold fat and diets won’t work. When researchers used a specialized diabetes diet on overweight people all lost weight even those who did not have diabetes.

just google SPIRIT HAPPY DIET

June 28, 2012 at 11:08 | Report abuse |
    • beaguest

chefdugan – apparently you, or anyone close to you, has suffered from a weight issue. If only all it took was some backbone to lose weight ... I'm sure that many obese people would be much slimmer. Also, what a shame it is that you see only a person's external beauty and ignore the inner beauty. Sounds like you will miss out on a lot of opportunities in life due to your prejudice! How sad and foolish!

June 28, 2012 at 11:12 | Report abuse |
  2. Steve

I'm amazed at how silly most people are here...... The FDA just said the pill is safe enough for consumption (like alcohol and tobacco) and it does what the label says. The FDA isnt forcing anyone to use it, isnt forcing taxpayers to cover it, so why should anyone care?

Besides if it helps 47% of the people lose AT LEAST 5% of their body weight, why not? Sure exercise and diet are better but why not help it out. If you think not, the next time you are sick, no meds for you! History shows you dont need sudfed, cough drops, or tylenol either. You'll get better without.

June 28, 2012 at 03:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • P Ness

How about that 47% stay away from the dessert bar? Quit driving up everyone's health cost with your lack of discipline

June 28, 2012 at 06:21 | Report abuse |
    • stephen

So the FDA approves (and even recommends) the consumption of junk like processed foods which are laced with grains, artificial sweetners and high fructose corn syrup which causes weight gain so they can sponsor a 'drug' to counter the weight gain?

June 28, 2012 at 06:36 | Report abuse |
    • JoeFabeets

They need a dose of NoeetinMorphude

June 28, 2012 at 07:56 | Report abuse |
    • Johnnyboy

Stephen, when did the FDA recommend eating junk foods? The FDA has two purpose, to declare that a product is safe enough to eat, meaning it won't kill you if you consumed it that day and second to make recommendations for a healthy diet. No where does the FDA say that eating a diet of Potato chips is recommended.

June 28, 2012 at 08:40 | Report abuse |
    • Lee s

WOW a WHOLE 5%? so if youre 100 lbs overweight you lose 5 lbs? ZzZzzzz....what a joke. I weighed 135 pounds in wrestling, I could sweat 5 lbs iff in practice in 3 hrs.

June 28, 2012 at 09:12 | Report abuse |
    • Live in the real

Lee s, really you don't think that 5% of your body weight is a big deal. Your comparison of you at 135 lbs when wrestling is laughable. In case you weren't looking at the photo, that man is NOT 135 lbs. More than likely he is closer to 300 lbs.

I'll trust the experts opinion above a lightweight wrestlers...

June 28, 2012 at 09:49 | Report abuse |
    • Koji

Lee S: Glad to see you're so bad at math. It's not 5% of what you're overweight, it's 5% of your total weight. While still modest (someone who weighs 200 pounds will only lose an extra 10 pounds), but combine that with a better diet with a doctor's guidance and that may be 20 or 30 pounds total.

June 28, 2012 at 10:01 | Report abuse |
    • justathought

Lee doesn't know how to do math. 5% of body weight is not the same as 5% of the amount the person is overweight. Assuming an average man is 150 pounds, if he is 100 pounds overweight, he would need to lose 12.5 pounds, not 5 pounds as Lee suggests.

June 28, 2012 at 10:06 | Report abuse |
    • Effelbee

Steve, you are correct. Most of the anti-obesity commenters here are silly. It is how they behave. Unfortunately, the FDA has not approved a pill for stupidity!

June 28, 2012 at 10:49 | Report abuse |
    • s.sanchez

just have to say, Steve you are so on Q! According to others, why not shut down every resaurant that has a desert bar. It's still all about $ The more we unite-The more it will go the way it should, not what is shoved on us...

June 28, 2012 at 10:56 | Report abuse |
    • I hate you - haha

P Ness – Its cheaper than your unemployment

June 28, 2012 at 11:56 | Report abuse |
    • jasmine

The problem with that theory is it just masks the feeling like most western medicine does. It is most of what is being taught. Instead of the source of the problem we will just make it go away with another drug and if anyone has side effects lets give them another drug.

June 28, 2012 at 12:26 | Report abuse |
  3. Motley

Maybe NY can have their sodas back now (like that ever made a difference anyways)

June 28, 2012 at 03:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rik James

You'd be surprised how good of an idea that really is and the data that supports it. Smaller portions will yield big-time results.

June 28, 2012 at 10:59 | Report abuse |
  4. Osamequin

Two words, 0bamacares and Fraud.

June 28, 2012 at 03:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mema

Whats wrong with Obamacare, specifically?? My kids now have insurance through their college years. People cry nothings being done. Then cry we dont like what you have done. Make up y©ur stinking minds. Nothing makes your kind happy. A nation if whiners and Im a victim.

June 28, 2012 at 08:16 | Report abuse |
    • John

What's wrong with Obamacare you ask . . . how about this, it will bankrupt this country. We cannot afford it. The non-partisan CBO has already estimated its costs to be at least 4 times the original estimates (have we not yet learned that when politicians 'estimate' what their legislation will cost they horribly UNDERestimate it while revenues from new legislation are horribly OVERestimated?).

If bankrupting America doesn't bother someone, I guess they could be ok with it.

I'm not against universal healthcare (healthCARE, not healt INSURANCE), but whatever system we end up with has to be fiscally sound, and this plan isn't.

June 28, 2012 at 08:52 | Report abuse |
    • Lee s

@mema, you tell me whats right about it?

June 28, 2012 at 09:22 | Report abuse |
    • Johnnyboy

Osamequin, why are you posting something about the Affordable Care Act when it has absolutely nothing to do with this topic? SO, if this was about Dog shows, you would like to interject something about Obamacare just to get your political views out?

June 28, 2012 at 09:26 | Report abuse |
    • mema

Ha...who cares what you think. Its now passed and law. Obama 2012!

June 28, 2012 at 10:22 | Report abuse |
    • mema

John..if uninsured people keep using the er for their medical needs and with increasing health costs our hospitals,will soon need to all be bailed out. Over half our hospitals now are not profitable. Who will pay that bill?? You and me! I work in the medical field, you are terribly uninformed what doing nothing would do.

June 28, 2012 at 10:31 | Report abuse |
    • Rich K.

What's wrong with Obamacare? Well for one, it is just making a corrupt and flawed system accesible to more people. How does that help anything? How about a program which teaches people on a grand scale how to actually eat healthier, exercise and reduce stress? No, but instead let's have even MORE people on 8-10 different maintenance medications by the time they are 50. Joke......

June 28, 2012 at 10:42 | Report abuse |
    • David

John – Your facts are laughable and wrong. The CBO has esitmated that it would not add the amount to the deficit that you bone heads are claiming. The fact is the law will pay for it self through the reduction in Medicaid and Indigent Care. Try giving all of the facts.

June 28, 2012 at 10:53 | Report abuse |
  5. Osamequin

America is being bent over-the-counter.

June 28, 2012 at 03:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Osamequin

What is the big deal about "feeling full".. I have had a bellyfull of Hope and Change.

June 28, 2012 at 03:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Mary

This drug, "when combined with a reduced-calorie diet and exercise" could help people lose weight. So basically, the drug is useless. A drug that can reduce obesity rates without the obvious but seldom heeded "eat less, exercise more"? Now that would be news!

June 28, 2012 at 03:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JJ

Agreed! Why can't they come up with a drug where we can eat what we want, not exercise and still lose weight? That would be news.

June 28, 2012 at 08:31 | Report abuse |
    • Lee s

@JJ, shut your pie hole.

June 28, 2012 at 09:14 | Report abuse |
    • Koji

Mary: Because no matter what type of drug or device they come up with, it will ALWAYS be more effective with exercise and proper diet management.

June 28, 2012 at 10:03 | Report abuse |
  8. a921

So the solution to shoving too much food down your throat is to start cramming pills down there too? The solution is always to and consume more, never to simply consume less. No one makes money when someone simply restricts their calories.

June 28, 2012 at 03:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • andy

Agreed. . .why can't people practice some self discipline?

June 28, 2012 at 08:31 | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

I am disabled and have lost 80 pounds in the last year. One of my problems was lethargy. The solution for me is to live with the physical pain as much as possible, without the use of medications. Exercise and diet is the proper way. Stop putting these poisons in your body. The benefits not justify the risk. This is a new medication with a possible side affect that may kill you on the way to a cure.

June 28, 2012 at 10:02 | Report abuse |
  9. maria

Ignorants you think you know everything on losing weight now try to save souls because god doesn't want our bodies. If you had jesus in your heart you woulnt be so cruel. praise the lord.

June 28, 2012 at 04:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

Maria.... " jesus in your heart" you must be kidding right.

The lord does not want your body and neither do we. I can't understand why people try to defend obese people. Most of them do it to themselves by eating too much and the wrong foods. Take responsibility for yourself plain and simple. It seems there is a growing number of people in the world that want to take a pill to accommodate their personal choices. Life is not hard; however if you do the wrong things it becomes very difficult. Treat your body right and it will treat you the same way.

June 28, 2012 at 08:59 | Report abuse |
    • Lee s

maria is horribly obese ill bet.

June 28, 2012 at 09:10 | Report abuse |
    • Cara

Yeah, you must be joking. Read the bible sometime:

1 Corinthians 6:19-20, Your Body, His Temple

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body,"

"Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony"—in other words, avoid overeating at all costs (Proverbs 23:2).

And let's not forget that gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins.

June 28, 2012 at 10:13 | Report abuse |
    • Johnnyboy

gluttony – a gluttonous person is not always an obese or overweight person. The sin of gluttony is about over indulging period, whether it be a skinny, normal, overweight, or obese person all are capable of sinning. But if you want to assume that the only people who can be gluttonous, then go ahead and misinterpret scripture.

June 28, 2012 at 10:43 | Report abuse |
  10. laughing

With all the harsh comments towards fatties i think its funny that were finally getting to the point where a pill can help lose weight..only a matter of time before there's one that literally builds muscle.....then all the gym rats can cry about all that wasted time and how its not fair. btw fairly good shape and exercise six days a week here. i personally think all the fit people are secretly angry that science is making it easier to "cheat" and lose weight and build muscle, after all there hard work these porkers can just take a pill.lol

June 28, 2012 at 04:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Not overweight

Muscle pills exist...called anabolic steroids

June 28, 2012 at 08:39 | Report abuse |
    • Lee s

that might be the dumbest comment on here.

June 28, 2012 at 09:11 | Report abuse |
    • laughing

Steroids require work, they only help with building muscle, i was talking about a pill which simply destroyed and rebuilt the muscle work free.

June 28, 2012 at 10:19 | Report abuse |
    • Cara

And no "Johnnyboy" (how redneck); I am not minsinterpreting scripture. Being overweight or obese IS gluttony, so don't try and get around it by saying just because it's about overindulgence in general it's not also about being fat.

June 28, 2012 at 11:25 | Report abuse |
  11. Another Obese Person

As an obese person, I can say that this pill will not help me. I am an emotional eater, which means I eat even when I am not hungry. The only thing that has helped me is therapy. I get help identifying things that trigger me to eat, then I can work on changing those behaviors. There is no magic pill that is going to stop me from eating when I am angry, sad, happy, or bored.

June 28, 2012 at 04:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • tesla1908

Sorry, but you're pathetic.

June 28, 2012 at 08:07 | Report abuse |
    • Noah Fence

tesla1908, what gives you the right to judge someone's heartfelt commentary? Talk about pathetic!

June 28, 2012 at 08:40 | Report abuse |
    • Cara

I used to be one of the whiners who said that I could not lose weight. The weight loss programs out there seemed ridicuous; why pay for meetings when I already know how to eat well and exercise? But I thought well, I will check out a meeting anyway.

18 months later I have maintained a weigh loss of 40 pounds. I haven't missed a single meeting and I did learn some things. I am proud to say that the most my weight has ever gone up since is 2 pounds, which I promptly lost the next week.

My foods are assigned points, as is my exercise. I walk my dog and elsewhere and consistently work out 4-5 times a week; I jog 2 miles or do 4 miles on the elliptical each session. Having support and knowing I have to weigh in every week keeps me in check. I lost the 40 pounds in 4 months and 6 weeks later, having maintained my weight loss, received free membership. I have not paid for a single meeting or access to all the online tools since then. I now wear a size 8-10, which is what I was in junior high and high school in the mid 80s!

June 28, 2012 at 09:59 | Report abuse |
    • s.sanchez

to another obese person...This really is the KEY to it all...the rest of these debaters are most likely outside-looking in...Underlying issues are what cause negetive feelings, in turn, we tend to take it out on ourselves. It can be other things, just not wanting the 'pangs' of being too beautiful...Men cheat on both kinds-everyday. Loving yourself is the 1st step!!! Thank you for the best lead to this issue...I would like to add, you have helped me this day...

June 28, 2012 at 11:11 | Report abuse |
    • Cara

You're NOT pathetic! You are honest about the reasons you are obese and sweetheart, that is the most important step.

BEING OVERWEIGHT IS HARD. LOSING WEIGHT IS HARD. MAINTAINING WEIGHT IS HARD; CHOOSE YOUR HARD.

I was about 20 pounds overweight and being that I was pretty down and did not feel like going out in public. That made me feel isolated and worse so I stayed home - which led me to eat more. I finally got so sick and tired of feeling so sick and tired. I joined a weight loss program and have stuck with it. I am in great shape and feel so good that I now go out as much as possible and know that I look fit. I can do so many more things. I still eat all the same things I did before, just not as much. I just add more healthy food to a slice of pizza or such. An apple with a sandwich. More salad. Fruit. The only thing I've given up is my Turtle Mocha coffee. I used to drink it every morning, now I don't even think about it. I look in the mirror every day and it is a reminder how hard I worked, how successful I was and also, if I can lose and maintain my weight, I can do just about anything that I set my mind to.

Start exercising every day (baby steps!) and you will get there and may not even need therapy anymore. Go to a meeting, check it out for free. Try it for a month. Just commit to trying for now. If I could do it, you can. YOU ARE WORTH IT. You deserve to be happy. YOU CAN DO IT.

One more thing: I've maintained my 40 lbs weight loss for 18 months now. It really is not that hard at all. It's a lot easier than being overweight or losing. There are days that are challenging, but it is so much easier than I thought it would be. Truly.

June 28, 2012 at 11:42 | Report abuse |
  12. Phillydan

Yes this pill will help you. Lorcaserin/Belviq works by controlling your urge to eat. The real data is that those patients in the phase III studies that completed the 52 week study lost an average of 26 pounds. The top 35% lost greater than 10% of their weight. The top 25% of responders lost 17% of their weight. In addition, the Bloom-DM study which had all type 2 diabetics in the study lost a reasonable amount of weight but more importantly, they saw FG drop by 27% and HbA1c levels drop by ~ 1% which is very significant. Several patients in the studies lost more than 55+ pounds. I would recommend "Another Obese Person" talk with your doctor about BelViq. Lorcaserin could help you greatly. Give it a try. Lorcaserin controls your hunger urges. It is at least worth a try. Many obese people in the phase III studies were helped by BelViq.

June 28, 2012 at 05:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MK

It may do the trick, but what side-effects will it have? How many weight-loss drugs have been put on the market then taken off because it was causing serious health issues?

June 28, 2012 at 10:00 | Report abuse |
  13. Kudu

Did any one catch that little phrase in the second paragraph? When "combined with a reduced-calorie diet and exercise". Quit eating at McDonald's, forget the pop, chips and candy bars; get off the couch and do something!! This isn't rocket science....

June 28, 2012 at 05:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Johnnyboy

Here we go again, eating at McDonalds and eating all of those other things are a gross exaggeration. The reality is that folks starve themselves and then eat some heavy meal when they get hungry. And we do not move as much as well used to as a society. So really it is about our lifestyles as a whole that have changed with both parents working, long commutes and so on as it has to do with diets.

June 28, 2012 at 08:43 | Report abuse |
    • Lee s

@johnny, here we go again with the excuses. Both my parents worked, had three kids and we somehow managed to sit down at the dinner table every night and eat a home cooked meal. The "we are too busy a socity" is the exact reason people are fat in the first place, excuse, which those are, are for lazy children, which is what our society has become. Just blame it on someone/thing else. Turn off the TV for three hours and spend time with our family. Might open your eyes a bit.

June 28, 2012 at 09:20 | Report abuse |
    • Johnnyboy

You are missing the point, I said nothing about about dieting, I said that it has more to do with activity than anything else. But go ahead and put stuff in my post. BTW did your parents, after they cooked dinner, take you out for a 5 mile run to burn the food off?

June 28, 2012 at 10:02 | Report abuse |
  14. Hear Ye

This potion should be put in the entire USA water supply.
    Double down in Mississippi.
    Oink.

June 28, 2012 at 06:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • word

totally agree ^^^ hahahaha. Or at least place waterpipe screw-on applicators that disolve it into your water for homes of obese persons via mandate in obamacare XD I'll be down for obamacare the day we do that hahahaha

June 28, 2012 at 06:44 | Report abuse |
  15. putdowndafork

FDA says drug is approved for people with cholesterol, diabetes and blood pressure issues, except if the people lost the wight naturally MOST of them would rid themselves of these issue to begin with.
    You don't need a pill, you need to PUT DOWN THE FORK!

June 28, 2012 at 06:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • angel

exactly!!!! thats what i'm saying!!!

June 28, 2012 at 07:47 | Report abuse |
    • Johnnyboy

Some folks have genetic per-dispositions to have high cholesterol like my grandfather, so he can't put the fork down and cure it. He has weighed 138-145 lbs his entire life and walks every single day but has higher cholesterol. So how do you fix that?

June 28, 2012 at 08:45 | Report abuse |
    • Lee s

@johnnyboy, cholesterol has nothing to do with how much you weigh, are you serious right now?

June 28, 2012 at 09:15 | Report abuse |
    • Johnnyboy

Yes, for some people it does, My grandfather has cholesterol issues is underweight, so just read an article by any doctor or the American Heart Association and it will say that genetics have something to do with cholesterol. I have been big all of my and never had any issues with cholesterol. So there.

June 28, 2012 at 10:04 | Report abuse |
    • will

God, you're dumb. What do you think this pill is FOR? Did you fail to even READ the article before laying your stupid snide comment down? Of course not. Idiots never do. The pill is to help you put down the fork. If you've been seriously obese but are losing weight, your body will continue to make you in pain from hunger until you eat enough to get you back up to that weight. This pill claims to be able to relieve that by making you feel full sooner. Get an education.

July 1, 2012 at 01:48 | Report abuse |
  16. john211

Seems like most people on here do not realize that the people in the clinical trials are/were obese. simply halting the weight gain is a big deal. I'm sure the people in the study that were serious about loosing weight lost more then 5%.

June 28, 2012 at 06:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Lisa

Agreeing to what most are saying.....eat less, exercise more....WTHe%% do I need a pill for?

June 28, 2012 at 07:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Christine

I agree with most comments here, diet and exercise are the only way to go...I gave up the fast food, eat more fruits and veggies, try to stay away from the enriched flour products and sugar, and take the steps and stay active, and I lost 130 lbs. Just small lifestyles changes can make a world of difference. With all the processed foods we consume, in another 50 years, we won't need to be embalmed....we are already doing that from the inside out!!

June 28, 2012 at 10:03 | Report abuse |
  18. angel

note it states-with low fat diet and exercise!!!!!! all the "magic pills" they come up with always say in the fine print "along with low fat diet and exercise"-must exercise for your health-not just weight loss-and eat good food to keep body running efficiently-and keep disease at bay. some people might benefit from this IF they are willing to change their unhealthy lifetyle as well-most obese people obviously dont care to exercise or eat right-hence being obese!! there is no magic pill-exercise eat right-=no obesity!

June 28, 2012 at 07:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Johnnyboy

Why can't you read the article? It says that it would help someone not have the desire to eat while dieting. It would be like giving someone who smokes a patch to help them quit smoking.

June 28, 2012 at 08:50 | Report abuse |
  19. angel

forgot one point–the drug companies will make a fortune from this!!!! bottom line!!!!

June 28, 2012 at 07:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. donjgen

Now what does this pill cost. It your only lose a few pounds a year which is easily done through dietary changes it can't be more than 50 cents a pill.

June 28, 2012 at 07:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. wassup

What's always amazing and scary is the list of potential side effects. Seems like a very modest weight improvement for the no-doubt pricey pill!

June 28, 2012 at 08:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Jason

Watch you diet and exercise. Stop looking for the miracle pill and quite being lazy. I swear this world is going to head up like the Wall-E movie where everyone is overweight and staring at a screen all the time while floating around in those chairs. Its already happening. Go ahead folks make your best friend your Siri. Idiots!

June 28, 2012 at 08:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. DK

I think the biggest problem for overweight people is eating a low calorie diet and exercising. If they did those two things to begin with, they wouldn't be fat. Unless this drug makes you crave low calorie food, I think fat people will take the pill, eat the same, not exercise but maybe instead of gaining weight, they'll remain the same. I don't see them loosing large amounts of weight.

June 28, 2012 at 08:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Johnnyboy

For the one millionth time, the drug is not to replace diet and exercise, it is to help cravings. Why can't you understand that? Some people have issues with addictions and food can be one of them, If someone was addicted to Heroine, would you say that they should just stop doing it and it will be all good? No you wouldn't, so if a drug can calm the pleasure centers of the brain and allow someone to not eat in between meals, then why would it a bad thing?

June 28, 2012 at 09:09 | Report abuse |
    • Lee s

@johnny, wow comparing food addiction to heroin eh? A bit of a stretch as you cant just "put down food" as you do kinda need it to survive, derp.

June 28, 2012 at 09:17 | Report abuse |
    • Johnnyboy

You have just proven my point, you can't simply not eat because you would die. Food attaches to the same pleasure centers as drugs do. The only difference is that you can stop doing drugs for the most part (Heroine being an extreme) and not die. You still have to eat and therefore it would be hard to not overeat or eat extra meals in place.

June 28, 2012 at 10:11 | Report abuse |
  24. Bill

You don't need drugs to lose weight. You have to control your eating habits. Living off of tacos and pizza all the time and then taking a drug to counter all the junk food is not a healthy lifestyle. I went from 210 down to 175 with no drugs whatsoever. I ate healthier, ate smaller portions, and pushed myself away from the kitchen table three times a day.

June 28, 2012 at 08:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. jaygai

Silly, just drink more diet soda. DUH

June 28, 2012 at 08:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. steveo

Fat people are disgusting. I despise them.

June 28, 2012 at 08:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Dr. Big Bucks

No need for a pill.

Water with a reduced calorie diet will do the trick.

Actually choosing the source of your calories is better than reducing your calories. Just quit eating soybeans and corn syrup.

June 28, 2012 at 09:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Lee s

Does it say "best results with proper diet and exercise"? If youre one of the 0.5% of obese people with a glandualar problem, ignore this. This will only let fat people think they can eat the foods and live the lifestyle that made them that way in the first place. A drug is only going to make one thing happen, a class action lawsuit from all the fat people that take too much of this drug and wont follow the directions in the hope the pounds will just "fall off" miraculously. GUESS WHAT? Aint gonna happen. Obesity isnt just about being overweight. Its about being lazy and compensating for something. If you want to change your body your going to have to change your lifestyle, otherwise, your health will just continue to deteriorate, regardless of whether or not you lose weight, being lazy is bad for you, period. Obviously you didnt just put on 80 pounds over night, and its not coming off overnight.

June 28, 2012 at 09:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. shar

I am with Stephen, but besides the high fructose corn syrup the FDA has allowed some form of soy to be put in almost all processed foods. Soy disrupts the functions of the thyroid which has so much to do with metabolism. I believe that current medical evaluation of thyroid function is very limited. The ways in which soy has negatively impacted the thyroid cannot be correctly measured by today's medical knowledge.

June 28, 2012 at 09:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Bryan

For people making making excuses. It is exactly that mentality that caused the weight gain. Exercise some self control. Think about long term. Yes, that food looks good now, but is it the kind of food that will help your body. Eat some fish, avacado, spinach, drink some milk. Eat foods that will benifit you, not slow you down. Corny as it is, why not be the best you can be. You have one damn life, live like you care about it.

June 28, 2012 at 09:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • BASHE

Mmmmm...avocado...

June 28, 2012 at 09:45 | Report abuse |
  31. Adam

That picture is gross. Go to the gym, eat more fruit/veggies/lean meat, profit. Not hard. You can eat healthy, cheap, just buy the cheaper fruits (grapes) and frozen veggies (still retain nutrients now). STOP DRINKING LARGE SODAS IF ANY AT ALL! The trick is, the more days you work out (hard) the more you can eat. So, keep that it mind and exercise some damn discipline. You are murdering society with your bad habits!

June 28, 2012 at 09:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. eddantes

This is definitely not the answer, if the eating habits of the person that is obese or fat don’t change this pill won’t do diddly-squat. I could picture some fat person taking this pill follow by 3 or 4 cheeseburgers with biggie fries. As always the pharmaceutical companies trying to bamboozle the public with quick get thin gimmicks. Business as usual.

June 28, 2012 at 09:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. BASHE

There is a CURE for obesity. It's called exercise and whole foods. Stop sitting on your bum and get out and enjoy God's green earth. Stop eating processed "food" and grow your own food, or at least know where your food came from and what it consists of. It really is that easy, but I think people are more about what is fast and convenient than preparing their own food.

June 28, 2012 at 09:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Slappy_McGiggles

When I took my family to Disney this past March, I was amazed by the number of over-weight people riding around on rascals!
    when asked, most of them complained of bad knees. I lost my patience with one woman and told her that maybe her knees wouldn't hurt so much if would learn how to put the fork down once in a while!

June 28, 2012 at 09:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Johnnyboy

Yes and no, Some folks like myself have had knee issues from sports in highschool which make it difficult to exercise. SO I guess you would like to argue with me too?

June 28, 2012 at 10:07 | Report abuse |
    • eddantes

.@johnnyboy, changing your eating habits is more important than exercise, trust me, exercise is just a complement to lose weight but I would venture to say that your diet is way more important than exercise. I dropped 40 pounds in 2 years, and it wasn't until I changed my eating habits that I was able to really lose a significant amount of weight. I'm 50 years old and I feel fantastic, yes it takes a lot of hard work but it's worth it. Best of luck buddy

June 28, 2012 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
    • Johnnyboy

Diet first then exercise to start up the metabolism. Both are important. Yes you can limit calories but not be healthy, just because someone is skinny does not mean they are healthy.

June 28, 2012 at 10:34 | Report abuse |
    • Bryan

The only proven way, as of now, to increase metabolism, is weight training. There is an increase for approximately 24hrs after training. Resistance training (not just heavy lifting), also has a bigger effect of life expectancy than running.

June 28, 2012 at 10:38 | Report abuse |
  35. Loukiii

The article did not say the duration of the trials. Was it 6 weeks, 6 months, a year?
    It would be interesting to know. If a 300lb person lost 15 pounds in 6 weeks, that would be pretty good. In a year, still good but not as big a deal. If it was 6 weeks, it would be interesting to find out if they continued on the protocol did they continue to lose at the same rate, or did it slow or increase?

June 28, 2012 at 10:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. not perfect

And neither are any of you. The problem with being overweight is that it is an obvious character flaw. People can point and say "Look at that person! They have a problem!" Everyone has issues but none are so visible.
    There are numerous reasons people become overweight. It's a very complex issue. Never so easy as "just change your behavior". Most of us who are overweight know how to loose it. We are not stupid people. But the dynamics at play are infinite. I have hypothyroid which was stable for years until recently when the pharmacy mistakenly changed my prescription. I gained back all the weight I had lost. Now back to square one & my community is looking on as you all would & pointing "look at her! how much weight she gained!"
    So stop your judgements. Take a look in the mirror. What are your flaws? What if I could see them & tell you how you should change? Would you appreciate that?
    The problem with our nation is that everyone is so judgmental. Always pointing fingers like they alone have it all figured out. If someone wants a little help to loose the weight who are you to judge whether they need it or not?

June 28, 2012 at 10:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bryan

No. The problem with our country is that we are now %40 are overweight.

June 28, 2012 at 10:28 | Report abuse |
  37. Shirley Weeks

The comments are scarier than the article. 1. Get it through your head that extreme obesity has nothing to do with discipline. 2. No, it is not a stretch to compare a food addiction to any other addiction. 3. How many times have you heard that the food that is generally eaten encourages obesity – that is why all the pressure to drop snacking on anything, eat healthy vegetables and eat organically. There are many reasons why overeating occurs including financial ones and location. I was lucky enough to know people who were capable of stopping smoking cold turkey and did so. I also have known people who have struggled and struggled to stop smoking and eventually did with medical assistance. Neither of them was a better person than the other. Here are some big causes of obesity: emotions (like people bullying), family experience, fast food restaurants and portion size (for decades I have shuddered every time I went to the states because of said portion sizes). Let's try having some compassion along with our lost pounds. And for all those nasty people who like to make jokes? out there no I am not obese, never was and yes I am losing weight

June 28, 2012 at 10:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Johnnyboy

Shirley, in addition to all of that is lack of activity. Our society has had a major shift to being almost completely sessile. We live over an hour away from work, just to get to a job that has us behind a desk for about 8 to 10 hours a day. Then you are asking the same person who has to deal with traffic, their family, and everything else to suddenly get up and start exercising. I am not making excuse but stating how hard it is for someone to start an exercise routine when they never had one and have stress.
      I get off from work and change my clothes and try to run 5k 4 times a week, but I can completely understand how difficult it is for someone to start if they never did it before.

June 28, 2012 at 10:31 | Report abuse |
    • s.sanchez

Shirley Weeks, THANK YOU...AMAN.

June 28, 2012 at 11:25 | Report abuse |
  38. Interested

I read with interest argumets for both sides.

I will admit it. I am overweight... a fatty if you will. I have been all my life. I diet, I exercise religiously and cannot get below a certain point. I am scheduled for Lap Band in the fall. It's what is right for me. In addition to being overweight, I have a history of other conditions that will improve with weight loss.

People are correct that certain percentage of the population would use this as a cure-all plan.
    For my surgery I have to meet a stringent amount of criteria and show a prolonged period of lifestyle changes. It isn't easy.

I log my food intake and exercise. I stay below the recommended caloric intake and don't even use the "bonus" calories given back with exercise.

If people were made to meet criteria – and show consistent progress – why shouldn't people be allowed to try the drug?

I promise you the rising costs of habitually overweight Americans will grossly outweigh (no pun intended) the costs of trying the drug.

June 28, 2012 at 10:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MK

Some of my family members have struggled all their lives. Food=love. I have been thin all my life but I also have been exercising regularly since I was 18, 3-5 times a week without fail (now in my 40s). I think I would be overweight by now if I did not exercise and eat decently because if I slack off, I do gain a pound or two. But I do wonder if there is a biological difference between them and myself or do they really eat too much and not exercise enough? Are we being unfair to those who are doing everything right but have some bodily issue that is preventing weight loss?

June 28, 2012 at 11:18 | Report abuse |
  39. Blue

This is absolutely deplorable. Rather than focus on why people are overweight and revealing the truth: that people are overweight as a result of the incessant ads berating the undereducated of our country and forcing them to eat fake foods we are putting another drug on the market for corporations to make money off of. If people ate the way they were meant to, there would be no problems. Doesn't it make sense people? We weren't fat until all of our food started coming out of boxes and having additives like corn syrup and and fake protein and carbohydrate additives. THEY ARE TAKING YOUR MONEY! They don't care about you, they want your cash, they want you sick, they want you scared, they want you in debt. They want to control you and it's much easier if we're all fat, sick, lazy, and poor. WAKE UP!

June 28, 2012 at 10:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MK

This is true, but it is also true that we have choices.

June 28, 2012 at 11:19 | Report abuse |
  40. mickhernandez

Nothing will change unless they want to change don't mater if its a over the counter pill or natural pill

June 28, 2012 at 10:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. bam

if u overdose on this will u vanish?

June 28, 2012 at 10:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. MK

June 28, 2012 at 10:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Traceysays

Excellent manipulation of statistics! So what happened to the other 53%? Did they gain weight? Stay the same?
    These people were also told to eat a lower calorie diet and exercise. How do the workouts/ daily activity/consumption compare across groups?
    How many of these people are also in therapy for food eating habits?
    What was the nutritional composition of each group?
    What was their success in weight loss before the pill. Maybe they've already lost 10% of their weight in the past year.

Wayyy to many confounding here people to really determine anything! All the FDA is doing is making sure it doesn't kill you. But then again an apple is very survivable too/.

June 28, 2012 at 11:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. jrh

The new drug will be marketed as "Getoffyourbutt"

June 28, 2012 at 11:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Afsana

I am not sure I understand the benefit of taking a drug along with a reduced calorie diet to lose weight. Especially since the results have proven to be moderate. I say, toss the drug that can supposedly keep you feeling full, and eat a diet rich in cruciferous veggies, fiber and lean protein, which also keep you feeling full. Drug companies clearly think we are a bunch of idiots.

June 28, 2012 at 11:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Rabbit One

drugs scare me – whatever happened to kale and self control

June 28, 2012 at 11:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. peterspeepee

Chuck Norris

June 28, 2012 at 11:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. peterspeepee

Chuck Norris would settle this.

June 28, 2012 at 11:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. marc

a percentage of both placebo and the drug lost 5% body weight because of diet and exercise, proving that you dont need a pill, you need to diet and exercise. Stop being lazy and causing my healthcare to go up in cost to because you're too lazy to exercise and eat right. I exercise at least 1 hour a day while you eat potato chips and watch tv. Try my habbit for a change, you'll thank me later.

June 28, 2012 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Jennifer

I have struggled with weight my entire life. I finally realized that I had to cut out the foods (sugar, flour and fried food) that caused me to overeat and start to recognize my eating behaviors. I eat only naturally grown products. If it is bagged or boxed; I don't touch it. I have lost 110 lbs, I work out 5-6 days a week and recently finished my first half-marathon on April 1. I understand how much of a struggle it is for so many, but you have to want it bad enough and make the choice to CHANGE your lifestyle. That is pretty much what it came down to for me. No magic pill or surgery. Discipline and behavior changes.

June 28, 2012 at 11:43 | Report abuse | Reply