home
RSS
I’m OK with calling myself a triathlete
Carlos Solis bikes down the Queen Ka'ahumanu Highway near Kona, Hawaii
June 9th, 2012

I’m OK with calling myself a triathlete

Carlos Solis is one of seven CNN viewers training for the Nautica Malibu Triathlon with CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta. Recently Solis and the rest of his teammates traveled to Hawaii for a week of intensive training.

I remember one Sunday afternoon last year. My wife and I were driving, seeing all these cool looking bicyclists decked out in spandex uniforms and racing gear pedaling along Euclid Avenue in our town.

I was thinking out loud, “Man, it sure would be cool to be doing that someday.” The thought ended there as a very cruel reality check set in.

I was 48 years old, still overweight, still fighting to gain control over my obesity and diabetes. What in the world was I thinking?

Eight months later, I’m tuning in to CNN watching Dr. Gupta’s Fit Nation announcement. He’s asking viewers to send in their videos on why they want to become part of the next team to train for an upcoming triathlon. So, during Thanksgiving break, I walk into my classroom and begin to videotape my request. Still not knowing exactly what I’m getting myself into, I sent the request in and the rest is history.

Fast forward to Kona, Hawaii. Up until this point, I was keeping up with my nutrition and physical training, but just didn’t feel like I was making the progress I needed to be making.

I didn’t feel like a triathlete.

But it all came together in Kona. Being with the team and awesome trainers for the week is what I needed. Training in Kona and finishing my first mini-tri with the team not only boosted my confidence but also helped me to realize that I have become a triathlete.

My goals of “losing 50 by 50” – 50 pounds by the time I turn 50 this October – and finally gaining control over my diabetes haven’t changed since becoming one of the Lucky 7. In fact, I’ve added a few more, which I am excited about and will be posting blogs in the very near future detailing exactly what they’re all about.

For now though, as I continue towards the finish line in Malibu, it’s cool to be one of those bicyclists riding up Euclid.

It’s cool to be called a triathlete. Thanks CNN!

To find out more about the Fit Nation Lucky 7 and Carlos’ journey, follow us on Facebook at Facebook.com/CNNFitNation and on Twitter: @CNNFitNation.

1. claremontcomputerz

Really interesting incident. Thanks for sharing the post.

June 10, 2012 at 13:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Baki

thanks for sharing. im a swimmer. & when i train in the pool & see elders just taking up a learn to swim class, i congrulate them in striving to learn something new & conquering its fitness challenge. please note, age and rest tempo is key to warming up to achieve ur trainig goal for dat session. good luck !

June 10, 2012 at 22:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • trihardcarlos

Thanks for the advice!

June 11, 2012 at 14:04 | Report abuse |
  3. Nick

Awesome story! Simply inspiring, I'm a personal trainer and thrive on people like this individual who sets goals and does not stop till he accomplishes them! It's easy to say out loud "I'd like to do that someday" but it's a lot harder to actually DO it! Very inspiring. I have a blog that is as motivating as I could possibly make it, so if you liked this check out my blog http://www.fitnessofthegods.com. Hope to hear from you soon!

Live Active
    Nick K

June 11, 2012 at 03:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • trihardcarlos

Nick, you are absolutely right! Getting up and out and DOING it is 99% of the battle! Thanks for your kind words!

June 11, 2012 at 14:07 | Report abuse |
  4. sam stone

Great story. I am an ultramarathoner and I always congratulate elderly folks participating in the even. Unfortunately, normally they are passing me at the time

June 11, 2012 at 09:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • trihardcarlos

Sam,

My hat is off to you as an ultramarathoner, keep up the great work! Maybe we'll meet at a race someday!

June 11, 2012 at 14:09 | Report abuse |