home
RSS
What the Yuck: Why does my pregnant belly itch?
May 27th, 2012

What the Yuck: Why does my pregnant belly itch?

Q: I’m pregnant, and my belly itches all over! How come?

A: As your skin stretches over your growing bump, it can become dry and irritated. Hormonal changes may cause itching, too.

So slather on moisturizer regularly and avoid hot showers, itchy fabrics like wool, and scratching (which makes the problem worse).

If you also start to develop small bumps, especially in your third trimester, you may have pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy (PUPPP). Your doctor can suggest an ointment to help relieve this harmless condition.

In rare cases, though, itching can be a sign of liver or gallbladder disease; pregnancy makes you more prone to both. So if moisturizing doesn’t help, be sure to check in with your doctor.

Copyright Health Magazine 2011

1. Sandra Lee Barnett

I had PUPPP with my first pregnancy, but not with my second. It began in my 34tth week, I delivered in my 38th week when my water broke, and I itched for 13 weeks after my daughter was born. It was an absolute nightmare. I remember it as if it was yesterday. My daughter is 26 years old now, and was worth every day of pain though.

May 28, 2012 at 11:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • thatwave

I hate PUPPS and trying to discretely scratch my belly in public! Fortunately mine went away in the days after delivery because it was extremely irritating.

May 29, 2012 at 19:19 | Report abuse |
  2. ser

AHHH...isn't that sweet

May 28, 2012 at 12:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Jessica

During my last pregnancy I could not have lived without the Stretch Mark Cream from Apothederm http://apothederm.com/shop-products/body/stretch-mark-cream/
    It was very effective for my past stretch marks and the new marks I got. I would recommend it!

May 29, 2012 at 14:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Carol Roberts

I used some stretch mark creams that I read about on http://www.stretchmarkremovalcreams.net and the best one I found was the Retin-A. It was nice and soothing and pretty cheap too. My belly itched like crazy almost the entire pregnancy!

June 10, 2012 at 01:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. kosmetik murah

Finding this site made all the work I did to find it look like nothing. The reason being that this is such an informative post. I wanted to thank you for this special read of the subject. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I submitted your site to some of the biggest social networks so others can find your blog. jual kosmetik di surabaya

June 11, 2012 at 03:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Valerie

Thanks for the great article. I was so itchy with my pregnancy... I thought I was going to go nuts. Then I read your article and as you recommended I stopped taking hot showers and that helped. I also went online to find a good moisturizer. I didn't want anything with chemicals. I found a company called Yume Blush. They make a natural, edible(flavored) body cream that I started massaging on my belly everyday. That was it, the itching was gone!! The only thing is that I can't stop putting it on my lips cause it tastes so good. ; )

January 13, 2013 at 01:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. RichardTutt

Nike Shox Vc 6
    It's entirely possible that alcohol to help make ringing in the ears worse, so consider abstaining as a result completely. You need to consider out just how much fun or pleasurable consuming is in comparison to the enduring ringing in ears symptoms are bringing you, and judge which can be more valuable for your needs.

Put together a listing of each debts you have when getting a payday advance. This consists of your healthcare expenses, unpaid bills, home loan repayments, and more. Using this type of checklist, you may figure out your month-to-month expenses. Compare them in your regular monthly earnings. This will help you make certain you make the best probable selection for paying back your debt.
    Adidas Gazelle Negras

April 19, 2017 at 00:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. video tutorials

how to lose weight

April 19, 2017 at 02:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. soulskinindo

Diet ideal products soulskin cosmetics indonesia

May 16, 2017 at 04:30 | Report abuse | Reply