home
RSS
Finally, a treatment for that buzzing in your ears
May 24th, 2012

Finally, a treatment for that buzzing in your ears

Imagine the incessant, grating sound of buzzing in your ears - or constant beeping, whistling, dripping, or clicking.  Imagine the chatter of crickets or birds resonating in your head all day long.

Then realize that there are no actual birds or crickets. No dripping faucet. No clicking or whistling happening in the vicinity.

That is a small glimpse of life with tinnitus:  The perception of sound, that doesn't exist, manufactured by the brain.

"I hear tree frogs and crickets and bugs, and really loud noise on top of that," said Ginny Morrell, 60, who has suffered with tinnitus for two years. "It started one day and never went away. It never wavers, 24 hours a day."

Morrell says she fills her life with sound - a radio during the day, a television droning in the background while she sleeps - as a way to drown out the din.  It's a distraction that sometimes works.

"It's not going to kill me, it's not cancer," said Morrell.  "But it might drive me crazy."

But according to a new study, the most effective treatment for Morrell's tinnitus may involve just the opposite of what she's currently doing: Rather than ignoring the sound, focus on it.

"In the study we thought, what if we try to intervene in this avoidance behavior and we expose patients to their tinnitus sounds," said Rilana Cima, the study's lead author and a clinical psychologist at Adelante Centre of Expertise in Rehabilitation and Audiology in the Netherlands.  "If you expose people to something they're afraid of, they actually habituate to this stimulation."

Cima compares the approach, which has its roots in cognitive behavioral therapy, to helping people with a spider phobia to slowly stem that fear.  Intermittent exposure to a spider - or in the case of tinnitus, that annoying buzzing - may temper the fear associated with it.

The study, conducted in the Netherlands, involved 492 patients. Half received an audiological work-up and no other structured treatment, while the other half received integrated care, including tinnitus-focused cognitive behavioral therapy.

The therapy included having patients perform mundane, everyday tasks, while being exposed to whatever sound is associated with their tinnitus.

"People usually avoid their own sound," said Cima.  "So they practice paying attention to their sound and what reactions they're having because of that sound."

Among the group who got the therapy, about 70% reported improvements in their quality of life or decreased tinnitus a year after beginning treatment.

Importantly, for a malady that has its roots in the brain, many patients also reported improvements in tinnitus-related fear and anxiety.

"The sound didn't disappear but fear reactions did," said Cima.

What makes tinnitus so difficult to treat is that it is virtually impossible to pinpoint the origin of the sound (there is no established neural origin for the condition) and each sufferer's experience is unique.  That makes it difficult to craft a treatment that works for everyone.

The study, published today in the Lancet, is one of the first rigorous trials suggesting relief for the approximately 50 million tinnitus sufferers in the U.S., according to the American Tinnitus Association.

Richard Salvi, a tinnitus expert with the Center for Hearing & Deafness at the University of Buffalo, said the study is important and should be encouraging for people like Morrell.  But, he adds, most tinnitus sufferers are looking for a cure.

"Many tinnitus patients expect immediate and complete cessation of their tinnitus," said Salvi in an email to CNN.  "None of the current treatments meet these patient expectations. Consequently, much more work needs to be done."

Morrell is heartened that a treatment may be out there but, from where she sits in small-town Brockton, Massachusetts, it seems elusive.  She says few physicians in her area understand her condition, let alone how to treat it using cognitive behavioral therapy.

"I had one doctor say to me I should take Klonopin (an anti-seizure/anti-anxiety medication) for my tinnitus," said Morrell.  "He said to take one the first day, two the second, and to keep stepping it up to 12 a day if I needed to. Can you believe that?"

What nags Morrell almost as much as her condition, is the fear associated with it - that it will get worse.

Mostly, she wants something simple that she used to take for granted:  "My issue with it is not hearing silence," she said.  "I will never hear silence again."

What Morrell craves is a reset button that will make the noise disappear.

Curing tinnitus may never be that simple.

1. Ciqada

Forgot to also mention that grinding of teeth during the night which results in jawbone misalignment or damage can also be a cause – this can be helped by wearing a protective cover over upper and lower teeth which dentists fit.

March 24, 2019 at 05:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Name*donna

I have tried for a few months now to just put the hearing aids away. I’ve become severely depressed and suicidal. I can’t work and cant see how I’ll ever find a life partner as I don’t work and my life is a daily living hell.

April 22, 2019 at 12:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Jim mullen

Can some smart doctor find a cure for tinnitus ????

May 17, 2019 at 17:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. wilma.finsch@gmail.com

Creative Bear Tech is a growing SEO and digital marketing company that does things different to everyone else. We do not use template solutions. We like to be creative in the application of our SEO knowledge to deliver white hat, effective and long-term results. We are constantly developing new strategies to rank sites to the very top of the search engines. We have a lot of experience in growing industries such as vape, cbd, cryptocurrency, ecommerce and others. In the words of Oscar Wilde, the most difficult thing is to live, most people exist. Let our SEO work allow you to live the lifestyle others dream of.

We have a range of different monthly vape and cbd seo services:

Monthly Monster Vape Backlinks Package

Monthly Monster Hemp And Cbd Backlinks Package

Guest Posts On 20 Powerful Vape Sites

Guest Posts On 15 Powerful Cbd And Hemp Sites

Hemp And Cbd Shop Database

Global Vape Shop Database With Emails

You can order and view more details about each service by accessign the above links.

If you have any questions, please message me on Fiverr as I have an app that sends me instant notifications! 🙂

I look forward to helping you to take your business to the next level!

June 26, 2019 at 05:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. maureen.starling@gmail.com

We have a range of different monthly vape and cbd seo services:

Monthly Monster Vape Backlinks Package

Monthly Monster Hemp And Cbd Backlinks Package

Guest Posts On 20 Powerful Vape Sites

Guest Posts On 15 Powerful Cbd And Hemp Sites

Hemp And Cbd Shop Database

Global Vape Shop Database With Emails

I look forward to helping you to take your business to the next level!

July 7, 2019 at 18:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. tangela.whelan23@gmail.com

Good morning

I trust that this message finds you well. I have tried to contact you via email but it has bounced twice now so I am giving your contact form a go.

I enjoy blogging in my spare time and I have written a couple of articles for your blog cnn.com.

Please find them attached on my Google drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1klHKbQeZByz88UlIormD-VllbKlGZqli?usp=sharing

Do let me know what you think and do send me the links to the articles once you have managed to publish them.

Also, do let me know if you would like me to write some more articles for your blog.

Regards

Journee

July 10, 2019 at 22:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Name*d v niekerk

I have SUFFERED tinnitus for more than 20 years and it just gets worse... I can hardly sleep..if I think that I have to live with this crazy nonstop invasive loud buzzing ..tree full of cecades and crickets in my brain for the rest of my life I think I will drown myself

October 5, 2019 at 08:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. earlene.fremont27@googlemail.com

Good afternoon

I have written to you regarding the Monthly SEO Backlinks Package for http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/24/finally-a-treatment-for-that-buzzing-in-your-ears/ and wanted to see whether you are still interested? We are getting very busy and only have a few slots left.

You can find all the information regarding this CBD SEO package here:

Regards