home
RSS
Finally, a treatment for that buzzing in your ears
May 24th, 2012

Finally, a treatment for that buzzing in your ears

Imagine the incessant, grating sound of buzzing in your ears - or constant beeping, whistling, dripping, or clicking.  Imagine the chatter of crickets or birds resonating in your head all day long.

Then realize that there are no actual birds or crickets. No dripping faucet. No clicking or whistling happening in the vicinity.

That is a small glimpse of life with tinnitus:  The perception of sound, that doesn't exist, manufactured by the brain.

"I hear tree frogs and crickets and bugs, and really loud noise on top of that," said Ginny Morrell, 60, who has suffered with tinnitus for two years. "It started one day and never went away. It never wavers, 24 hours a day."

Morrell says she fills her life with sound - a radio during the day, a television droning in the background while she sleeps - as a way to drown out the din.  It's a distraction that sometimes works.

"It's not going to kill me, it's not cancer," said Morrell.  "But it might drive me crazy."

But according to a new study, the most effective treatment for Morrell's tinnitus may involve just the opposite of what she's currently doing: Rather than ignoring the sound, focus on it.

"In the study we thought, what if we try to intervene in this avoidance behavior and we expose patients to their tinnitus sounds," said Rilana Cima, the study's lead author and a clinical psychologist at Adelante Centre of Expertise in Rehabilitation and Audiology in the Netherlands.  "If you expose people to something they're afraid of, they actually habituate to this stimulation."

Cima compares the approach, which has its roots in cognitive behavioral therapy, to helping people with a spider phobia to slowly stem that fear.  Intermittent exposure to a spider - or in the case of tinnitus, that annoying buzzing - may temper the fear associated with it.

The study, conducted in the Netherlands, involved 492 patients. Half received an audiological work-up and no other structured treatment, while the other half received integrated care, including tinnitus-focused cognitive behavioral therapy.

The therapy included having patients perform mundane, everyday tasks, while being exposed to whatever sound is associated with their tinnitus.

"People usually avoid their own sound," said Cima.  "So they practice paying attention to their sound and what reactions they're having because of that sound."

Among the group who got the therapy, about 70% reported improvements in their quality of life or decreased tinnitus a year after beginning treatment.

Importantly, for a malady that has its roots in the brain, many patients also reported improvements in tinnitus-related fear and anxiety.

"The sound didn't disappear but fear reactions did," said Cima.

What makes tinnitus so difficult to treat is that it is virtually impossible to pinpoint the origin of the sound (there is no established neural origin for the condition) and each sufferer's experience is unique.  That makes it difficult to craft a treatment that works for everyone.

The study, published today in the Lancet, is one of the first rigorous trials suggesting relief for the approximately 50 million tinnitus sufferers in the U.S., according to the American Tinnitus Association.

Richard Salvi, a tinnitus expert with the Center for Hearing & Deafness at the University of Buffalo, said the study is important and should be encouraging for people like Morrell.  But, he adds, most tinnitus sufferers are looking for a cure.

"Many tinnitus patients expect immediate and complete cessation of their tinnitus," said Salvi in an email to CNN.  "None of the current treatments meet these patient expectations. Consequently, much more work needs to be done."

Morrell is heartened that a treatment may be out there but, from where she sits in small-town Brockton, Massachusetts, it seems elusive.  She says few physicians in her area understand her condition, let alone how to treat it using cognitive behavioral therapy.

"I had one doctor say to me I should take Klonopin (an anti-seizure/anti-anxiety medication) for my tinnitus," said Morrell.  "He said to take one the first day, two the second, and to keep stepping it up to 12 a day if I needed to. Can you believe that?"

What nags Morrell almost as much as her condition, is the fear associated with it - that it will get worse.

Mostly, she wants something simple that she used to take for granted:  "My issue with it is not hearing silence," she said.  "I will never hear silence again."

What Morrell craves is a reset button that will make the noise disappear.

Curing tinnitus may never be that simple.

1. Nicholas Coom

I believe the type of tinnitus i have is from radiation and cancer that i had back in 2005 thus maybe loud noise from construction i have done at work in the past and or concerts of loud music .

February 25, 2014 at 18:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ernie Baldwin

I had cancer surgery on my left neck and shoulder. The ear wax would not drain naturally so it plugged my ear and blocked my hearing. I went to my family doctor and he stuck a gizmo in my ear which forced water into my ear canal in an effort to flush out the wax. One of the squirts caused my some pain but he got the wax out. When I was later in a quiet spot I could hear this constant hum, something like a small airplane flying past. Normally it didn't bother me that much because other normal sounds would drown out the noise. In the last few days the sound volume has increased and I can even hear it when I am watching TV.. Can I sue the SOB because there is no cure.

August 7, 2014 at 21:59 | Report abuse |
  2. doug kazakoff

My tinnitus started right after my hearing tests.
    Is there any correlation between the 2?

Most people over 50 get hearing tests.
    Has any study been done to see if there is any connection?

March 2, 2014 at 09:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Michael lemmer

mine started in 07 delt with it for a while now annoying at times.. and sometimes i forget about it.....only time i really think about the buzzin sound is before bed ahahahh image that the worst time awwww

March 3, 2014 at 22:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Michael lemmer

it is so like the hearing test sounds i got when i was younger sounds just like that sound

March 3, 2014 at 22:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. R. Pittman

I wrecked my ear with loud ear buds.

Now I blog about ways to control the hissing buzzing torture, in case it helps others. (See arresttinnitus@blogspot.com.) Vinepocetine, a simple herb, works best.

March 4, 2014 at 17:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mel staton

cannot get to the blog site you listed

July 11, 2014 at 18:05 | Report abuse |
  6. Cynthia

I live in the same area as Morrell, and have to say our physicians around here are a joke. They'll point to Anxiety and depression medicine as the way to relieve anything they don't understand. My tinnitus comes from years and years of allergies combined with lyme disease, but since they don't understand either they prefer to treat the patient as though they have a mental imbalance.

Stemming off of this, referring back to this article, I don't think retraining the mind to cope with the sound is the solution for everyone. Curing what causes it is.

March 24, 2014 at 15:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jilal

I have tinnitus and My Life Have Changed I am scare .

May 24, 2014 at 15:46 | Report abuse |
  7. lifetimehearing

always have background noise; tv, washer/dryer, fan, radio…something. Fans work great at night. Ive had my tinnitus practically since birth.
    ringing in the ears

April 1, 2014 at 01:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. livingwithahizz

had it now for 4 months, after a short work induced depression from stress and family I found myself unable to sleep.
    in the next month, I slept only a few hours every night. the depression subsided but then after a congestion cold and a trip to the mountains all of a sudden I hear hissing in my ears. I hope it goes away some day.i like the sounds of silence.

April 7, 2014 at 20:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Linda

I hear the crickets but it seems to make me dizzy at times. Is that normal?

April 25, 2014 at 15:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Tracie

I got if from being over prescribed prednisone and symbicort for my "asthma", which I never really had. It was just allergies. I told the doctor I couldn't breath after my first steroid use and he said it was in my head and prescribed me tranquilizers. After 4 years of steroid use I now have nerve damage and a constant hissing in my head. Thanks doc!

July 17, 2014 at 10:05 | Report abuse | Reply