Finally, a treatment for that buzzing in your ears
May 24th, 2012

Finally, a treatment for that buzzing in your ears

Imagine the incessant, grating sound of buzzing in your ears - or constant beeping, whistling, dripping, or clicking.  Imagine the chatter of crickets or birds resonating in your head all day long.

Then realize that there are no actual birds or crickets. No dripping faucet. No clicking or whistling happening in the vicinity.

That is a small glimpse of life with tinnitus:  The perception of sound, that doesn't exist, manufactured by the brain.

"I hear tree frogs and crickets and bugs, and really loud noise on top of that," said Ginny Morrell, 60, who has suffered with tinnitus for two years. "It started one day and never went away. It never wavers, 24 hours a day."

Morrell says she fills her life with sound - a radio during the day, a television droning in the background while she sleeps - as a way to drown out the din.  It's a distraction that sometimes works.

"It's not going to kill me, it's not cancer," said Morrell.  "But it might drive me crazy."

But according to a new study, the most effective treatment for Morrell's tinnitus may involve just the opposite of what she's currently doing: Rather than ignoring the sound, focus on it.

"In the study we thought, what if we try to intervene in this avoidance behavior and we expose patients to their tinnitus sounds," said Rilana Cima, the study's lead author and a clinical psychologist at Adelante Centre of Expertise in Rehabilitation and Audiology in the Netherlands.  "If you expose people to something they're afraid of, they actually habituate to this stimulation."

Cima compares the approach, which has its roots in cognitive behavioral therapy, to helping people with a spider phobia to slowly stem that fear.  Intermittent exposure to a spider - or in the case of tinnitus, that annoying buzzing - may temper the fear associated with it.

The study, conducted in the Netherlands, involved 492 patients. Half received an audiological work-up and no other structured treatment, while the other half received integrated care, including tinnitus-focused cognitive behavioral therapy.

The therapy included having patients perform mundane, everyday tasks, while being exposed to whatever sound is associated with their tinnitus.

"People usually avoid their own sound," said Cima.  "So they practice paying attention to their sound and what reactions they're having because of that sound."

Among the group who got the therapy, about 70% reported improvements in their quality of life or decreased tinnitus a year after beginning treatment.

Importantly, for a malady that has its roots in the brain, many patients also reported improvements in tinnitus-related fear and anxiety.

"The sound didn't disappear but fear reactions did," said Cima.

What makes tinnitus so difficult to treat is that it is virtually impossible to pinpoint the origin of the sound (there is no established neural origin for the condition) and each sufferer's experience is unique.  That makes it difficult to craft a treatment that works for everyone.

The study, published today in the Lancet, is one of the first rigorous trials suggesting relief for the approximately 50 million tinnitus sufferers in the U.S., according to the American Tinnitus Association.

Richard Salvi, a tinnitus expert with the Center for Hearing & Deafness at the University of Buffalo, said the study is important and should be encouraging for people like Morrell.  But, he adds, most tinnitus sufferers are looking for a cure.

"Many tinnitus patients expect immediate and complete cessation of their tinnitus," said Salvi in an email to CNN.  "None of the current treatments meet these patient expectations. Consequently, much more work needs to be done."

Morrell is heartened that a treatment may be out there but, from where she sits in small-town Brockton, Massachusetts, it seems elusive.  She says few physicians in her area understand her condition, let alone how to treat it using cognitive behavioral therapy.

"I had one doctor say to me I should take Klonopin (an anti-seizure/anti-anxiety medication) for my tinnitus," said Morrell.  "He said to take one the first day, two the second, and to keep stepping it up to 12 a day if I needed to. Can you believe that?"

What nags Morrell almost as much as her condition, is the fear associated with it - that it will get worse.

Mostly, she wants something simple that she used to take for granted:  "My issue with it is not hearing silence," she said.  "I will never hear silence again."

What Morrell craves is a reset button that will make the noise disappear.

Curing tinnitus may never be that simple.

1. Nicholas Coom

I believe the type of tinnitus i have is from radiation and cancer that i had back in 2005 thus maybe loud noise from construction i have done at work in the past and or concerts of loud music .

February 25, 2014 at 18:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Denis

Mine is a hissing sound which I notice during the night time when everything is at rest. Then it is too annoying. Though I found this video helpful: http://x.co/tnts57

February 1, 2015 at 19:27 | Report abuse |
  2. doug kazakoff

My tinnitus started right after my hearing tests.
    Is there any correlation between the 2?

Most people over 50 get hearing tests.
    Has any study been done to see if there is any connection?

March 2, 2014 at 09:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Michael lemmer

mine started in 07 delt with it for a while now annoying at times.. and sometimes i forget about it.....only time i really think about the buzzin sound is before bed ahahahh image that the worst time awwww

March 3, 2014 at 22:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Michael lemmer

it is so like the hearing test sounds i got when i was younger sounds just like that sound

March 3, 2014 at 22:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. R. Pittman

I wrecked my ear with loud ear buds.

Now I blog about ways to control the hissing buzzing torture, in case it helps others. (See arresttinnitus@blogspot.com.) Vinepocetine, a simple herb, works best.

March 4, 2014 at 17:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mel staton

cannot get to the blog site you listed

July 11, 2014 at 18:05 | Report abuse |
  6. Cynthia

I live in the same area as Morrell, and have to say our physicians around here are a joke. They'll point to Anxiety and depression medicine as the way to relieve anything they don't understand. My tinnitus comes from years and years of allergies combined with lyme disease, but since they don't understand either they prefer to treat the patient as though they have a mental imbalance.

Stemming off of this, referring back to this article, I don't think retraining the mind to cope with the sound is the solution for everyone. Curing what causes it is.

March 24, 2014 at 15:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jilal

I have tinnitus and My Life Have Changed I am scare .

May 24, 2014 at 15:46 | Report abuse |
  7. lifetimehearing

always have background noise; tv, washer/dryer, fan, radio…something. Fans work great at night. Ive had my tinnitus practically since birth.
    ringing in the ears

April 1, 2014 at 01:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. livingwithahizz

had it now for 4 months, after a short work induced depression from stress and family I found myself unable to sleep.
    in the next month, I slept only a few hours every night. the depression subsided but then after a congestion cold and a trip to the mountains all of a sudden I hear hissing in my ears. I hope it goes away some day.i like the sounds of silence.

April 7, 2014 at 20:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Linda

I hear the crickets but it seems to make me dizzy at times. Is that normal?

April 25, 2014 at 15:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Tracie

I got if from being over prescribed prednisone and symbicort for my "asthma", which I never really had. It was just allergies. I told the doctor I couldn't breath after my first steroid use and he said it was in my head and prescribed me tranquilizers. After 4 years of steroid use I now have nerve damage and a constant hissing in my head. Thanks doc!

July 17, 2014 at 10:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Eliseo Rabinovich

get it right here

September 25, 2014 at 21:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Cynthia

I'm a 48 year old female, with medium to severe hearing loss in my left ear. I also have tennitis, ringing noise, tea kettle blowing, shhhhhh noise.
    I've learned to live with it, and most of all sleep at night.

Recently, I've had this awful fax machine like noise in my head. This noise is unbearable! It doesnt stop, and is so upsetting. I feel like I'm going to go out of my mind. My sleep is poor, and I'm worried about my future living with this.

I have suffered from depression, 3 bad episodes, and am coming out of the last one, returning to my job as a flight attendant next week. I'm so worried about how I will deal with my sleep, exhaustion, and not to mention the effect of the airplane noise....along with the hearing aid I have to wear when at work. I don't wear it when I'm not working.

I hope there is help out there!!

January 1, 2015 at 18:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cinid

Good luck on going back to work ,I'm also a F/a.The noises I hear are so loud I can't sleep.I've been off on medicals for 2 yrs.I don't know if I 'll ever gey bak

November 25, 2015 at 01:17 | Report abuse |
  13. Tobyn

I’m a long time tinnitus sufferer, and after several months searching for a solution finally found something that helped me a lot... I still hear some light ringing in my right ear when I'm in a quiet place but nothing like before!

Take a look at the video on http://tinnitusmiracle.co.nf It explains all. I was a bit excepticall at first but after 2 weeks i began to see some improvement.

I hope this can be useful for somebody :)

January 6, 2015 at 13:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Denis

Though the health problem is not fatal, it will give you a really bad day and frustrate you b/c it will not let you sleep in peace. I was browsing the net and found this video helpful: http://fwrd.pw/TNTis

February 9, 2015 at 15:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. john

They'll share news and views on health and medical trends – info that will help you take better care of yourself and the people you love. http://tinnitushelper.org/

March 21, 2015 at 14:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. angel

Hi! Me too, im hearing all these sounds and its really bothering me and loosing my temper on everything, it really makes me irritated easily and im bothered, this is years of tinitus, but recently ive been experiencing worst tinitus, and it includes severe headache and i cant sleep well, the doctor issue me iterax anti allergy meds, but still it doesnt help much and i stopped taking it, im really bothered everyday and my ear i can feel its getting big , sometimes i can feel my head is burning and i cant see a straight line anymore, i really need advice on what to do, sometumes when jts really loud, i feel nauseus and wanna vomit, and getting dizzy, please help me

May 26, 2015 at 01:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Arlene Mary

Oh! Sorry. I found this helpful, i even leave a review there.

June 27, 2015 at 17:59 | Report abuse |
  17. Yvonne

I got tinnitus after a period of extreme stress. I used to hear drumming in my left ear and a high pitch sound in my right ear. When I stopped eating grains/gluten, the drumming went away. When I stopped eating ice cream (made from non organic milk) the tinnitus in the right ear also went away. We live in a very polluted environment but normally the body can detox itself. The detox and self healing capacity may get disturbed during extreme stress. I am convinced that the chemicals used in today's agriculture make us sick. WHO declared the herbicide Roundup/glyphosate carcinogenic. It also causes other diseases. It is used not only on GMO crops but also on other crops. When I stopped eating grains, I cut out glyphosate from my diet. Cows are fed GMO grains, so when I ate ice cream made from milk, I fed my body glyphosate. I stopped eating the store bought ice cream, and I now buy organic milk, cream, butter, eggs, also org meat and chicken, org produce, and make my own ice cream and kefir (yogurt type of thing). But sometimes I crave my favorite store bought ice cream and after I eat it, the tinnitus in the right ear is back. When I stop eating the store bought ice cream, the tinnitus goes away.

July 8, 2015 at 10:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. jorge

My dad suffers from constant cricket sounds as he puts it. Is there medication I can get for him? Please help

October 12, 2015 at 13:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. rajesh

mine started when i had a 30 days cough, and consulted a SOB ENT and he overdosed me with a dynatussin plus loratidine capsule

October 24, 2015 at 21:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Surya

Tinnitus since long time ago in my ri8 ear'
    cnt bear