Say what? 'Flesh-eating bacteria' explained
The microscopic Aeromonas hydrophila is found in freshwater or brackish water environments, according to the FDA.
May 14th, 2012

Say what? 'Flesh-eating bacteria' explained

It sounds like something out of a horror film - a micro-organism that enters through an open wound and begins to consume your body from the inside out.

Unfortunately flesh-eating bacteria, or necrotizing fasciitis, isn't fiction. Aimee Copeland, a 24-year-old graduate student from Georgia, is fighting for her life in an Augusta hospital after contracting one type known as aeromonas hydrophila during a zip line adventure.

Aeromonas hydrophila is found in most, if not all, freshwater or brackish water environments (water that contains salt but is not saltwater), according to the Food and Drug Administration's "Bad Bug Book."

It is sometimes swallowed by swimmers, causing stomach or intestinal problems such as vomiting and diarrhea. It can also be found in fish and shellfish. The severity of the gastrointestinal infection depends on your immune system's ability to fight it off, according to the Mayo Clinic.

Aeromonas hydrophila can also enter the body through an open wound, as happened in the Copeland case. When that occurs the flesh-eating bacteria quickly reproduces, giving off toxins that destroy skin and soft tissue. Such bacteria is adept at hiding from the body's immune system, according to the National Necrotizing Fasciitis Foundation.

If necrotizing fasciitis is detected early, only skin or fat may need to be removed. But if the infection is detected later, amputation may be necessary to stop the spread of the bacteria.

Dr. William Schaffner, president of the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases, says when Aeromonas hydrophila enters through an open wound, early diagnosis is difficult. The bacteria does its damage deep in the tissue and doesn't manifest itself on the skin's surface.

Patients should pay attention to any pain coming from a closed wound, as well as redness or drainage, he told CNN.

The frequency of Aeromonas hydrophilia infections is unknown, the FDA notes, because researchers only recently began trying to collect numbers.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that each year there are about 10,000 U.S. cases of group A streptococcus, a collection of bacteria that includes necrotizing fasciitis. Approximately 20% of the cases of necrotizing fasciitis are fatal, according to the CDC.

1. www.cbmet2010.com

March 6, 2014 at 02:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Justin Nypaver

amazing, i reallly like what you have here

April 26, 2014 at 15:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Rosy Siva

The house is valueble in my opinion. Thanks!

June 18, 2015 at 16:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. polos lacoste españa

Usted es un cliente de confianza¿Tienes lo que se necesita, por favor póngase en contacto con nosotros directamenteDirecta o visite nuestro sitio web Podemos darle un cupón (SAVE5EUR)
    polos lacoste españa http://elpoloonlineshop.webnode.es

November 6, 2015 at 09:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. cs go skins are pointless

I appreciate reading through your internet site. Thank you!|
    cs go skins are pointless

April 4, 2016 at 11:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Darell Duncombe

Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the internet the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

June 4, 2016 at 09:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Becky Hoelscher

Hello. impressive job. I did not expect this. This is a fantastic story. Thanks!

August 12, 2016 at 01:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. silver fascinators headband

August 13, 2016 at 15:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Lorinda Durell

行動中の水分補給を容易にします。ノースフェイス コーディネート http://www.mustardseedcounseling.org/images/button/page/20141202220143-e3838ee383bce382b9e38395e382a7e382a4e382b9-e382b3e383bce38387e382a3e3838de383bce38388-qyzo.html

August 24, 2016 at 19:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Melony Eader

I wish to express my appreciation to you just for bailing me out of this particular matter. As a result of exploring through the the web and coming across concepts which were not helpful, I believed my life was gone. Existing minus the approaches to the issues you have solved all through this posting is a critical case, and the ones which could have in a negative way damaged my career if I had not encountered your blog. The talents and kindness in taking care of the whole lot was very useful. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't discovered such a solution like this. I am able to at this point look forward to my future. Thank you so much for this reliable and result oriented help. I won't hesitate to propose your web site to any person who should receive direction about this issue.

August 25, 2016 at 17:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Ted Bejerano

Great items from you, man. I've take into account your stuff previous to and you're simply extremely wonderful. I actually like what you have got right here, really like what you're stating and the best way in which you are saying it. You make it enjoyable and you continue to care for to keep it wise. I cant wait to learn much more from you. This is really a terrific web site.

August 30, 2016 at 16:19 | Report abuse | Reply