home
RSS
Seriously? Doctors say they're underpaid
May 1st, 2012

Seriously? Doctors say they're underpaid

Anthony Youn, M.D., is a plastic surgeon in metro Detroit. He is the author of “In Stitches,” a humorous memoir about growing up Asian American and becoming a doctor.

Full disclosure: I have no complaints about how much I make.

But many other physicians are not as satisfied - a recent study by Medscape revealed that 49% of doctors believe they're not fairly compensated. Of primary care physicians, this percentage increases to 54%.

It’s no myth that doctors are some of the highest paid professionals in the country. So why are they complaining?

It’s likely because of situations like Dr. Peterson’s.

Dr. Peterson is a plastic surgeon whom I worked with during my residency. A kind, competent physician, his new, fledgling practice consisted of reconstructive surgery. He treated women with breast cancer, paraplegics with pressure sores, and burn patients.

I was the on-call plastic surgery resident one night when a 42-year-old man - let’s call him Dave - was brought into the hospital at 3 a.m. He had fallen off a roof while intoxicated. Dave broke several bones in his face and shattered his lower leg.

I stumbled out of bed and met Dr. Peterson in the ER, where we spent the next three hours assessing Dave’s injuries and repairing his lacerations. Five days later Dr. Peterson and I performed an eight-hour operation, reconstructing his broken facial bones and performing a muscle transfer to help heal his fractured legs. For the next two months, we visited Dave in the hospital each and every day, changing his bandages and making sure he healed properly.

Not once did Dave thank Dr. Peterson for his care.

Instead, Dave took more than $3,000 from him.

Close scrutiny

Quite possibly no other occupation in the country receives such attention regarding the income its members receive. And that’s not a new trend - more than 70% of respondents of a survey published in the 1985 American Journal of Public Health believed doctors were overpaid.

The Medscape survey found the average physician compensation now ranges from a high of $315,000 for orthopedic surgeons to a low of $156,000 for pediatricians. Sounds pretty good right?

Consider that physicians must complete at least four years of college, four years of medical school, and between three to eight years of residency training prior to becoming a real, practicing doctor. Many physicians don’t start earning “doctor-level” salaries until they are well into their 30s.

A 2009 survey by U.S. News found the typical medical student graduated with $141,132 in debt. The graduates of some schools averaged more than $200,000 in loans.
So how do doctors’ salaries compare with other well-paying professions?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average computer and information system manager earns $125,660 per year. The average lawyer makes $130,490 per year. Orthodontists take home $204,670. The New York Times recently reported the average base pay for managing directors at Morgan Stanley is $400,000. At Goldman Sachs, it’s $600,000. The average salary of an NFL player is $1.9 million. NBA players average $5.15 million per year.

Just for putting a ball in a hoop.

When you consider these numbers, the thought of pediatricians making $156,000 a year doesn’t seem unreasonable. They often see 50 patients per day, answer our calls at all hours, and keep our kids healthy.

What about critical care physicians? They average $240,000 a year, but are responsible for keeping the sickest of us alive. One-quarter of critical care physicians spend more than 65 hours per week with their patients, not including time doing paperwork.

Unlike most other professions, there is a ceiling to what most doctors can earn. Physician compensation is tightly controlled by the government and insurance companies. Medicine is also the only profession where its members are required to sometimes work for free.

No return on investment

Which brings us back to Dave.

Three months later, I accompanied Dr. Peterson in his clinic to see Dave for a follow-up appointment. Dr. Peterson seemed a bit distracted. At the end of the visit I found out why.

“I’m glad you’re doing so well, Dave,” said Dr. Peterson.

“Yeah, I’m really happy with how things have turned out,” he replied.

“So Dave, this is a little awkward for me, but I need to ask you something. Two weeks ago your insurance company sent you a check for $3,200 to forward to me for all my surgical and office fees.”

“Yeah, so?”

“Well, um,” Dr. Peterson stuttered. “We never received it from you.”

“No, you didn’t. I cashed it and spent it.”

“Dave, why would you do that?”

“I figured you’re a rich doctor. I need the money more than you.”

What do you think? Are doctors being underpaid? Tell us in the comments below.

soundoff (2,041 Responses)
  1. Caroline

Hello friends, i want to use this opportunity to shear a testimony on how God directed me to a real loan lender who have transformed my life from grass to grace, from being poor to a rich woman who can now boast of a healthy and wealthy life without stress or financial difficulties. After so many months of trying to get a loan on the internet and was scammed the sum of $4,000 i became so desperate in getting a loan from a legit loan lender online who will not add to my pains,then i decided to contact a friend of mine who recently got a loan online, we discussed about the issue and to our conclusion she told me about a man called Mr Chis Melvin who is the CEO CHRIS MELVIN LOAN COMPANY So i applied for a loan sum of ($85,000.00) with low interest rate the loan was approved easily without stress and all the preparations where made concerning the loan transfer and in less than 48hours the loan was deposited into my bank account,i thought it was a joke until i received an alert from my bank that my account have been credited with $85,000.00. I became so happy that finally GOD have answered my prayers by directing me to a real loan lender who was able to grant my heart desires. big thanks to Mr Chris for making life reasonable for me and my family so i am advising everybody who is interested in getting a loan to kindly contact him via email (chrismelvinhelp15@gmail.com) that was how i was finally able to get my loan,i paid off my bills settle my debts,i bought a new car and now i am a business owner.

October 13, 2016 at 14:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. KAREN BRADLEY

HOW I GOT MY XMAS LOAN.

MY names are Karen Bradley from Florida,USA, am a married woman at the moment with two kids and i was stuck in a financial situation in august 2016 and i needed to refinance and pay my bills for my son medication and xmax loan. I
    tried seeking loans from various loan firms both private and corporate but never with success,and most banks declined my credit. But as God would have it, i was introduced to BARCLAYS BANK PLC (BBPLC) Public limited with Share Capital
    Company by a friend,and i got a loan sum of $300,000.00 USD on the 5th of october 2016 and today am a business owner and my kids are doing well... so i want to advice any one in need of a loan to quickly contact him via email on :barclays.bankplc3@aol.com he does not know am doing this i pray that God will bless him for the good things he has done in my life.

EMAIL VIA:barclays.bankplc3@aol.com

October 19, 2016 at 00:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. credit union

Are you in need of a loan? This is to inform the general public that we offer loans to individuals at 2% interest rate. Our loans are secured and guaranteed by the insurance company. Look no further and contact us to get a loan now more (creditunion000@gmail.com)

October 20, 2016 at 07:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. tyson

do you need urgent financial assistance or money to pay off your bills?
    do you need a loan at cheap rate?
    do you need any kind of assistance, do you want to pay your rent and you have financial challenges?
    if yes then contact a reputable and registered government approved loan lender Sir Jack on his email jackballard396@gmail.com and jackballard396@yahoo.com
    i got my loan from him and i am posting this here to everyone who needs a loan so that you all can get a real loan from him.
    contact him now if you need urgent loan jackballard396@gmail.com and jackballard396@yahoo.com

thanks

October 20, 2016 at 17:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. MR LAKE COOK

Weihnachts-Darlehen?

Als ich konnte nicht meine Schulden nicht mehr, war mein Sohn auf Krankenhausbett für Chirurgie, die riesiges Geld und ich brauchte auch etwas Geld, um zu refinanzieren und ein gutes Zuhause, dann muss ich für Hilfe von Freunden suchen und wenn es keine Hoffnung gab Ich entscheide mich, online zu gehen, um ein Darlehen zu suchen, und ich finde LAKE COOK Trust Loan Firm (lakecook07@gmail.com) mit 2% Zinssatz und bewerte mich sofort mit meinen Angaben wie angegeben. Innerhalb sieben Tage meines Antrags verdrahtete er meinen Darlehensbetrag mit Keine versteckten Gebühren und ich konnte auf meinen Sohn medizinische Rechnungen aufpassen, Erneuern Sie meine Mietzahlung und meine Schulden auszahlen. Ich werde Rat jedes Darlehen Suchenden zu kontaktieren LAKE COOK LOAN Unternehmen einfach und sicher Transaktion

Weihnachts-Darlehen?

October 25, 2016 at 20:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Rohlfsen

We have a direct genuine provider for BG/SBLC specifically for lease, at leasing price of 4+2 of face value, Issuance by HSBC London/Hong Kong or any other AA rated Bank in Europe, Middle East or USA.

Contact : Mr rohlfsen russell
    Email:rohlfsenrussell@gmail.com
    Skype ID:rohlfsen.russell

Intermediaries/Consultants/Brokers are welcome to bring their clients and are 100% protected. In complete confidence, we will work together for the benefits of all parties involved.

All inquires to Mr.Rohlfsen Russell should include the following minimum information so I can quickly address your needs:

Complete contact information:
    What exactly do you need?
    How long do you need it for?
    Are you a principal borrower or a broker?

Contact me for more details.

Rohlfsen Russell

October 27, 2016 at 18:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. KAREN BRADLEY

How i got my Xmas loan from Barclays bank

EMAIL VIA:barclays.bankplc3@aol.com

October 30, 2016 at 20:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. anderson michael

et rich today and take the risk of transforming your own life.Try and
    get an ATM card blank today (MR michael) and be among the lucky ones who are benefiting from this card. This ATM card in white set is capable of hacking into any ATM anywhere in the world. I have to know about this ATM card when I was looking for work online about a month ago..It has really changed my life forever and now I can say I'm rich because I am a living testimony. The less money I get in a day with this card is $ 3,000.Every now and then keep pumping money into my account. Although illegal, there is no risk of being caught, as it is programmed so that it can not track, but also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you..For details on how to get yours today, email hackers:unlimitedhackersworld@gmail.com

October 31, 2016 at 08:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. James Jones

Hello,

Are you in need of a loan for any purpose? are you in a financial problem? Do you need financial solution? Trinity Finance and Debt Resort is the solution to all your financial problems, Our loans are easy, cheap, and quick. Contact us today for that loan that you desire, we can arrange any loan to suit your budget at only 3% interest rate. If interested, contact us immediately. Optional Loan Protection may enable you to meet your loan repayments if you can’t work due to illness, accident or unemployment. You can only take out this valuable insurance when you apply for your loan so remember to tell us if you want it. Email: trinityfinancedebtresort@gmail.com

Request a Loan Application Here

Religion:
    Postal Code:
    Cell Phone Number:
    Amount To Borrow:
    Duration of the Loan:
    Weekly Income:

I look forward to read your mail
    Regards.

Trinity Finance

November 1, 2016 at 17:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Henry James Multi-finance

Dear Sir/Madam,

Our 24/7 online Personal Loan is designed to meet your diverse needs, at the time you need it. Be it a vacation, a marriage or even higher education, now your plan need not wait. With our instant online Personal Loan approval and money-in-bank in 72 hours.We offer all kinds Loans to individuals,Firms and cooperate bodies at a very low interest rate per annual here at HenryJames Multi-Finance Co.,Inc.,if you are interested contact us today Via E-mail: henryjamesmultifinance@gmail.com OR text us on +1(561)-231-9522.

Tel: +1(561)-231-9522.
    Email:{henryjamesmultifinance@gmail.com)

Warm regards,
    HenryJames Multi-Finance Co.,Inc.

November 1, 2016 at 19:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. DAVID

GET ONE OF THE BLANK ATM PROGRAMMED CARD AND WITHDRAW 5,000$ DIRECTLY EVERYDAY FROM ANY ATM MACHINE AROUND YOU. IF YOU ORDER TODAY, YOU WILL GET IT OVERNIGHT SHIPPING AND YOUR BLANK ATM CARD WILL COME IN A MANUAL PACKAGE WITH A BOOKLET WITH INSTRUCTIONS AND YOUR GIVING PIN NUMBER, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ON HOW TO USE IT WILL BE ON THE BOOKLET, HANDLING TO ORDER YOURS CONTACT US @ OUR EMAIL {Atmcardcashmachine@gmail.com} TO GET YOURS,

NOTE: OUR CARDS WORKS IN ANY COUNTRY YOU FIND YOURSELF, DON'T MISS THIS GREAT OPPORTUNITY THAT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER.

November 3, 2016 at 02:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. David

November 4, 2016 at 15:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. William Johnson

Dear Sir/Ma,

We have BG/SBLC, specifically for buy/lease at a leasing price of 4+2 & 32+2 of face value Issuance by HSBC London/Hong Kong

or any other 25 top AA rated Bank in Europe, Middle East or USA.

We also secure funding, project loans for 3% APR

work together for the benefits of all parties involved.

If Interested kindly contact the details below.

Email: johnwill0082@gmail.com,info@bevanloaninterestpurchaserplc.com

BEVAN LOAN INTEREST PURCHASER PLC

Mr William Johnson

November 7, 2016 at 04:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Mary Anne

{HOW I GOT A LOAN FROM REMY.CREDIT111@gmail.com}

I am Mrs Mary Anne from Texas, I have been so poor and could not even pay my rent, i went on Eviction so many times, i got financial assistance just last week from this very God fearing man who was so honest with me, he gave me loan of 20000$ at a very cheap rate of 2%, i am able to start up a new business now and i am living life so well.
    if you have financial problems and you need a genuine loan lender, contact Mr REMY on his email REMY.CREDIT111@gmail.com and REMY.CREDIT111@gmail.com and you will testify of his good services.

November 8, 2016 at 18:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. schmidtmary12@gmail.com

HOW LLOYDS BANK GRANTED ME AN XMAS LOAN!!!

I am a single mum with kids to take care of. My name is Mary Schmidt, I am from Hokendauqua Pennsylvania.for the pass 5 months I have been in a financial mess, A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine told me about how LLOYDS BANK helped her by granting her an Xmas loan with a low interest rate of 3% and better repayment schedule. She also told me they can help me out of my financial situation too. I never believed her cause I have been to different Banks/loan lenders who could not help me due to my poor credit score. She advised I give it a try, so I mailed them via email:lloyds.bank3@aol.com, and explain all about my financial situation to them, they took me through the loan process and granted me a loan of $450,000.00 27th of October as I have applied for and today I have a business of my own which I'm proud of and I can as also take care of my Xmas bills. all i did was to follow the term and condition of the loan. I'm so happy I did. I'm sharing this today cause I care about you all, I known how it feels to be in a financial mess I can never stop thanking them for their help. I'll keep telling the world about their kindness in my life If you must contact any bank or firm to get any amount of loan you need please contact email:-lloyds.bank3@aol.com. Thanks

November 8, 2016 at 21:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. David

HEY Get BLANK ATM Programmed Card and cash money directly in any ATM Machine around you. There is no risk of being caught, because the card has been programmed in such a way that it's not traceable, it also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you and you can only withdraw a total amount of $5,000.00 USD in a day. Now email us today at our E-mail address at: Atmcardcashmachine@hotmail.com and get your card today and live that luxury life you every dream to live.

November 9, 2016 at 18:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. David

SWEET CASH Get BLANK ATM Programmed Card and cash money directly in any ATM Machine around you. There is no risk of being caught, because the card has been programmed in such a way that it's not traceable, it also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you and you can only withdraw a total amount of $5,000.00 USD in a day. Now email us today at our E-mail address at: Atmcardcashmachine@hotmail.com and get your card today and live that luxury life you every dream to live.

November 9, 2016 at 18:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. KAREN BRADLEY

loan from Barclays bank

EMAIL VIA:barclays.bankplc3@aol.com
    Contact:+17472004690

November 10, 2016 at 03:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. david wirth

Hello , are you in any financial problems or you are finding it very difficult to pay your bills? or you need money to start a new business ? if yes then email us today to get a Blank ATM Programmed Card and cash money directly in any ATM Machine around you. It's 100% guaranteed secure with no worries, there is no risk of being caught, because the card has been programmed in such a way that it's not traceable, it also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you. Now email us today at our E-mail address at;davidwirthblankatmcard@gmail.com and get your card today and live that luxury life you every dream to live.

November 24, 2016 at 19:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Michael Buen

Are you a business man or a woman? Do you need money to start your own
    business? Do you need loan to settle your debt or pay off your bills
    or start a nice business? Do you need money for your project? We offer
    secured loans of any amount and anywhere in the world (individuals,
    businesses, real estate and legal persons) in our rate of 2%
    excellent. For application responses and to send more information to
    the following email address:(michaelbueno2009@gmail.com )

November 27, 2016 at 09:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Matthew

PARAMOUNT EMPOWERMENT
    Head office: EH12 9DN Edinburgh,
    United Kingdom.
    *****************************************
    You are welcome to Paramount
    Empowerment
    We offer loans ranging from $1000 to
    $50000 and above.
    Interest rate: 3%
    Collateral: No collateral required.
    We support our clients and place their
    interests before ours.
    Contact us now.
    Email:
    paramountempowerment@gmail.com

November 28, 2016 at 05:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Mary Schmidt

HOW LLOYDS BANK GRANTED ME AN XMAS LOAN!!!

December 3, 2016 at 12:01 | Report abuse | Reply