home
RSS
Seriously? Doctors say they're underpaid
May 1st, 2012

Seriously? Doctors say they're underpaid

Anthony Youn, M.D., is a plastic surgeon in metro Detroit. He is the author of “In Stitches,” a humorous memoir about growing up Asian American and becoming a doctor.

Full disclosure: I have no complaints about how much I make.

But many other physicians are not as satisfied - a recent study by Medscape revealed that 49% of doctors believe they're not fairly compensated. Of primary care physicians, this percentage increases to 54%.

It’s no myth that doctors are some of the highest paid professionals in the country. So why are they complaining?

It’s likely because of situations like Dr. Peterson’s.

Dr. Peterson is a plastic surgeon whom I worked with during my residency. A kind, competent physician, his new, fledgling practice consisted of reconstructive surgery. He treated women with breast cancer, paraplegics with pressure sores, and burn patients.

I was the on-call plastic surgery resident one night when a 42-year-old man - let’s call him Dave - was brought into the hospital at 3 a.m. He had fallen off a roof while intoxicated. Dave broke several bones in his face and shattered his lower leg.

I stumbled out of bed and met Dr. Peterson in the ER, where we spent the next three hours assessing Dave’s injuries and repairing his lacerations. Five days later Dr. Peterson and I performed an eight-hour operation, reconstructing his broken facial bones and performing a muscle transfer to help heal his fractured legs. For the next two months, we visited Dave in the hospital each and every day, changing his bandages and making sure he healed properly.

Not once did Dave thank Dr. Peterson for his care.

Instead, Dave took more than $3,000 from him.

Close scrutiny

Quite possibly no other occupation in the country receives such attention regarding the income its members receive. And that’s not a new trend - more than 70% of respondents of a survey published in the 1985 American Journal of Public Health believed doctors were overpaid.

The Medscape survey found the average physician compensation now ranges from a high of $315,000 for orthopedic surgeons to a low of $156,000 for pediatricians. Sounds pretty good right?

Consider that physicians must complete at least four years of college, four years of medical school, and between three to eight years of residency training prior to becoming a real, practicing doctor. Many physicians don’t start earning “doctor-level” salaries until they are well into their 30s.

A 2009 survey by U.S. News found the typical medical student graduated with $141,132 in debt. The graduates of some schools averaged more than $200,000 in loans.
So how do doctors’ salaries compare with other well-paying professions?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average computer and information system manager earns $125,660 per year. The average lawyer makes $130,490 per year. Orthodontists take home $204,670. The New York Times recently reported the average base pay for managing directors at Morgan Stanley is $400,000. At Goldman Sachs, it’s $600,000. The average salary of an NFL player is $1.9 million. NBA players average $5.15 million per year.

Just for putting a ball in a hoop.

When you consider these numbers, the thought of pediatricians making $156,000 a year doesn’t seem unreasonable. They often see 50 patients per day, answer our calls at all hours, and keep our kids healthy.

What about critical care physicians? They average $240,000 a year, but are responsible for keeping the sickest of us alive. One-quarter of critical care physicians spend more than 65 hours per week with their patients, not including time doing paperwork.

Unlike most other professions, there is a ceiling to what most doctors can earn. Physician compensation is tightly controlled by the government and insurance companies. Medicine is also the only profession where its members are required to sometimes work for free.

No return on investment

Which brings us back to Dave.

Three months later, I accompanied Dr. Peterson in his clinic to see Dave for a follow-up appointment. Dr. Peterson seemed a bit distracted. At the end of the visit I found out why.

“I’m glad you’re doing so well, Dave,” said Dr. Peterson.

“Yeah, I’m really happy with how things have turned out,” he replied.

“So Dave, this is a little awkward for me, but I need to ask you something. Two weeks ago your insurance company sent you a check for $3,200 to forward to me for all my surgical and office fees.”

“Yeah, so?”

“Well, um,” Dr. Peterson stuttered. “We never received it from you.”

“No, you didn’t. I cashed it and spent it.”

“Dave, why would you do that?”

“I figured you’re a rich doctor. I need the money more than you.”

What do you think? Are doctors being underpaid? Tell us in the comments below.

soundoff (1,844 Responses)
  1. Jen

I think it is criminal the way doctors are shafted by the insurance companies. We all know health care costs are astronomical. However, by the time insurance companies whittle away at the benefits allowed doctors make only a fraction. It is obvious to see why fewer people are going into the field. Who wants to spend 12-15 years in excruciatingly difficult training only to have insurance companies dictate and slash away at your income? The insurance companies need radical reform. I know my rates are ridiculous for what they are willing to pay for. In my opinion doctors SHOULD make great money. How much do you suspect college, medical school, internship, and residency costs?

September 3, 2012 at 12:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jordon

Agree!

September 4, 2012 at 19:07 | Report abuse |
    • Peter

Agreed.

The fact of the matter as some have pointed out is that most people don't realize how much in fees doctors have to pay after receiving their salaries. First of all, a significant portion is taken off from taxes (lets just assume 25% as the average, which is quite a reasonable assumption). Then, take in consideration of disability insurance, life insurance, health and dental insurances, malpractice insurance, and paying off $100,000 to $300,000 in student loans, that takes a significant portion. These are hefty insurances (eg. malpractice insurance range from slightly under $10,000/year to over $50,000 per year). That leaves about 50-60% of a physicians salaries.
      Now take into account fees for a physician practice, since private practice is so prevalent, employee compensations. What about transportation, school for the physician's children, food, housing / utilities / clothing. The math is pretty self-explanatory.
      And physicians train for an immense duration of up to 13 years after college, often 33-35years old by the time they actually earn what people consider to be "doctor's salaries" (physicians earn about as much as a nurses in residency and training, maybe a little more in fellowships).

Finally, if you still skip all reasons (which I've listed above) and still think physicians earn too much. Note that most physicians have very little time to reap the benefits of their earnings. So from what little time they have, I think they deserve to have ample spending capacity as compensation.

October 1, 2013 at 13:13 | Report abuse |
  2. jordon

Being someone who got ran over by an old lady in an SUV, I can say that I had a 1 percent chance. That is what they gave me the first night. By some grace of god my trauma sergeon just felt like he couldent let me die knowing I had two young kids. He spent countless hours and many surgeryies for over two months. He took me on as a personal project. I'm still dealing with the ladies car insurance. The Dr though even though he is owed a lot of money and is just happy I'm alive. He deserves every last penny he asks for. My kids have a dad, so no he is not! Overpaid

September 4, 2012 at 19:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jamjam

Its heart wrenching to read your post, so glad you are hear to write it. thanks for sharing Jordon

September 5, 2012 at 10:24 | Report abuse |
  3. jamjam

here*

September 5, 2012 at 10:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Virginia Vickie Rocha ortega

Patients should always sign the signature on cms form, Accept assigment area, this makes the carrier pay the doctor direct......if nnot signed then it goes to patient, carrier doesnt wana give the dr office details on it, just a pd to patient...then a call to patient, pmt sent to ou direct, sending you a stmt today, pt resp is, Remit pmt to us asap...then constant followup- on it....like -.. called you on, - pmt was to be sent us on - etc, ?

September 5, 2012 at 19:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Allan T Sawyer, MD, MS, FACOG

When I began my residency program, my father (who was a physician board certified in three areas of medicine) warned me that I would earn every dime I made. Seriously, I didn't understand exactly what he meant.

Twenty years later and fifteen years into the practice of medicine, I spent the entire night next to the bed of a critically ill obstetrical patient who went into disseminated intravascular coagulation after a severe postpartum hemorrhage. We saved her life and today she is a healthy mother of four children. After a year of fighting with her insurance company, CIGNA, who tried to claim that the additional care that I gave her was "usual and customary" and fell within the payment of "global obstetric care" CIGNA finally paid me 368 days after I cared for this patient. Ironically this patient is also a friend of ours, and she knew that we had not been paid for all of the additional care that I had given her. She came up to me just after her daughters' first birthday and asked me if I had been paid by CIGNA for saving her life. I told her that I had finally been paid, but sadly her life must only be worth $137 because that was all that CIGNA was willing to pay me for four hours of critical care time and saving her life. Seriously? Doctors say they are underpaid? Absolutely! Would anyone out there agree that a physician who spent four hours with a critically ill patient through the night, managing her disseminated intravascular coagulation only deserves to be paid $137?

September 14, 2012 at 10:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nbbb

$137 means one weeks pay for eastern european MDs. But compare to $100-400 per hour paid lawyers that is absolutely unfair amount which is true. It is capitalist system core engine workings that structured peoples pay unequally so the slavery system must be running flawlessly so the few professions in the middle earning unfair huge amounts. A very complex math problem...

June 10, 2013 at 05:26 | Report abuse |
    • Simon West

Many businesses have to deal with non-payment issues. The relevant number is your annual salary, which you fail to state.

Your comment is really just moaning about one incident when you had to stay up late.

December 1, 2013 at 10:20 | Report abuse |
  6. Luke Keffle

On average, doctors earn about 200K per year so let's use that as an indicator. Evaluating whether or not doctors are overpaid is based on the outcomes they achieve versus the salary with repsect to per capita income. When one compares the outcomes to the (salary/median_income) ratio, one finds that specialists are overpaid. This is less pronounced for primary care physicians. This doesn't mean that specialists aren't working really hard, but perhaps their hard work isn't translating to better outcomes. There's tremendous inefficiency.

Doctors can have much longer careers than professional athletes and most investment bankers make about 100K per year. The statement "The New York Times recently reported the average base pay for managing directors at Morgan Stanley is $400,000. At Goldman Sachs, it’s $600,000," reeks of extreme sampling bias. It's also not a valid comparison because Goldman Sachs is paying its executives with welfare, so they're obviously overpaid.

September 28, 2012 at 18:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ENT4ME

Can you explain what exactly you mean by outcomes? Life-years saved, for example? Or what is the outcome you are measuring? It's hard to quantify exactly how many life-years we gain by having a person interact with a medical specialist (as opposed to allowing a primary care physician struggle to treat a patient without the option of surgery, imaging interpretation expertise, pathology, or specialist consultation- but I suspect the difference in life-years would be immense.

Furthermore, once this was determined, how do you value this so that it can be compared to salary? How much is a life-year worth?

You need to define your terms or your statement is meaningless.

October 24, 2012 at 19:12 | Report abuse |
  7. attic bedrooms wicklow

I'm no longer certain the place you're getting your info, but great topic. I must spend a while studying much more or understanding more. Thanks for wonderful info I used to be searching for this info for my mission.

December 7, 2012 at 19:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Austin

He didn't even mention malpractice insurance or taxes which easily take half of that... Really want to be a doctor, (enjoy helping people, and really love anatomy/bio) but this stuff is intimidating especially coupled with the long hours.

January 7, 2013 at 01:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. dr vic

This article not only mirrors what happens in the US but also the rest of the world. Doctors in Kenya for instance are paid 12500 USD per year for their endless days and sleepless nights. It is this same country that pays its Members of Parliament in excess of 130000USD yet most of them are grossly academically underqualified,morally corrupt and perpetually lazy. Guess what a Minister in the same country gets for Home Servant Allowance? 10000USD per year.

January 17, 2013 at 10:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. MedCriticker

I am jumping into this conversation late. Dave, sorry folks, did not commit insurance fraud. After the PPO system became common, I worked for a state agency in the 1990s and payments for out-of-network services was made to the patient. A person had to fight to get the benefit assigned to the provider!
    Like a lot of people, Dave cashed the check and spent it on himself.
    There was no obligation to turn over the payment to the provider. Though this may not make sense, this is why many docs have posted here that it happens all the time. Therefore, they should be prepared for the occasional loss.
    Most of the doctors who posted here don't accept criticism. Not every act of a doctor saves a life, and many doctors don't work in hospitals.
    I have repeatedly had to go from doctor to doctor and sometimes emergency rooms for stuff a doctor wouldn't treat, even though it was treatable.
    I live in a large Southern urban area. Most doctors here live in $300,000 plus homes. It's easy and perfectly legal to check them out on the tax rolls online.
    They should read, "The Millionaire Next Door," and they will find that many millionaires live in more modest homes worth maybe $150,000 and driver older quality cars.
    I've not a poor doctor yet, though I did meet one once who was temporarily on food stamps after she made a suicide attempt.

January 19, 2013 at 21:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Dr. W. Lyons

At times, physicians have been regarded as amoung the greediest and most overpaid professionals. Much of this is based on the media depiction of the Hollywood Plastic surgeon, complete with Malibu mansion, Ferrari, and mega yacht, as well as a few unscrupulous real life doctors who have defrauded both Medicaid and private insurers.For the overwhelming majority of physicians in primary care, the reality, is quite different. As an urgent care physician in the New York metropolitan area, I make a low six figure salary. Hardly poverty, but nothing like what you see on TV. My "mansion" is a two bedroom townhome in Staten Island, my "yacht" is a beat up old sailboat worth maybe 10k, and my "Ferrari" is a 2003 Hyundai Santa fe. Well, at least it has MD plates. to add insult to injury, a few years ago, I was stopped by a cop in New Jersey to see if the MD plates were stolen. He could not believe that a doctor would be driving that P.O.S. car.

March 4, 2013 at 15:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • F. S

I must say that I find this particularly funny, especially with you getting pulled over in your Santa Fe. I apologize for that. The misrepresentation of the medical profession makes it almost embarrassing to call oneself an MD. A doctor could never truly be paid enough for quality care rendered, but that is quite alright, this is why we say medicine is not as much a career as it is a calling. It's not for everyone!

May 19, 2013 at 16:40 | Report abuse |
  12. Jack Daniels

If doctors are overpaid, then football players, basketball players, baseball players, etc are definitely overpaid. At least doctors save lives, can you say that of any sports player?

March 17, 2013 at 05:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jack Daniels

Oh, and I'd rather their salaries were reversed, doctors should be making the millions that athletes make, and athletes should be making the pennies in comparison that doctors make.

March 17, 2013 at 05:45 | Report abuse |
  13. underpaid

BIg Pharma pays their senior admins 60+K a year for a high school diploma. Then they let them work from home more than 25 hours a week. They get their nails done, hair highlighted, everything but work!. Are any healthcare professionals who need brains and have to take care of sick people rain, snow, sleet, shine, holidays, weekends, nights overpaid with this nonsense going on? All because they can overcharge for medication.

April 18, 2013 at 16:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ashley

Before you write verbal diarrhea into this comment thread, make sure your comment is actually understandable. The grammar is so disjointed I couldn't follow. Are you for or against doctor's pay?

October 26, 2013 at 14:24 | Report abuse |
  14. migration insurance required too ..

my wife recently got a fantastic job in a foreign country .. she had to start immediately ..she has supported me in my career so i decided to move with her with our 2 kids . I am a general surgeon for 7 years to date ..Now i have to 'study ' again to prepare for the board exam for the new country ...I will lose a lot of income waiting for the exam dates , the results,.the verification of credentials , board meetings etc .. which other profession endures these often unnecessary scrutinies and inconviniences .....so whilst we working we need a " freedom to migrate insurance cover " which prepares one for such life events .... doctors are def underpaid ....

June 4, 2013 at 07:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. health tips,health care,cancer,health,doctor

Hey There. I discovered your blog the use of msn. That is a very neatly written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read extra of your useful info. Thank you for the post. I will certainly comeback.

June 12, 2013 at 11:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Carolina Panning

South Korea's growing obsession with plastic surgery became apparent when pictures of a group of aspiring beauty queens posted online prompted claims that cosmetic procedures have left all the contestants looking the same.;,"'

Talk to you later <http://healthmedicinejournal.com/

July 1, 2013 at 10:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. mtbwalt

Physician pay makes up 7.4% of the medical dollar in the USA, using latest available data from CMS and MGMA.

Despite the constant insistence otherwise in the press, physician pay is not a driver of high medical costs. If you chained every physician and forced them to work for $0 income, you would only save 7.4%.

July 24, 2013 at 15:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ashley

Physician pay really isn't a driver, but they're really getting slammed by the ACA.

October 26, 2013 at 14:22 | Report abuse |
  18. Nancy

I can make holding your hand seem like the most important thing in the world when you're scared...
    I can make your child breathe when they stop...I can help your father survive a heart attack...
    I can make myself get up at 4AM to make sure your mother has the medicine she needs to live...and I will work straight
    through until 4am to keep her alive and start the day all over again! I work all day to save the lives of strangers...I will drop everything and run a code blue for hours trying to keep you alive!!! I make my family wait for dinner until I know your family member is taken care of...
    I make myself skip lunch so that I can make sure that everything I did for your wife today was correct...
    I work weekends and holidays and all through the night because people don't just get sick Monday
    though Saturday and during normal working hours.

Today, I might save your life.

for people who think doctors get overpaid....become a doctor yourself... and then speak

July 28, 2013 at 21:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ashley

Well said

October 26, 2013 at 14:23 | Report abuse |
  19. Heather

If we compared the amount doctors get paid by asking patients what they believe their life was worth, I'm positive that every single person would agree that doctors are UNDER paid!! It's ridiculous to me how people can self righteously value their own life at such a great expense but under appreciate and undervalue the people who save the "value" of their life and they have the nerve after a doctor has saved their life to look them in the eye and say "I know you just saved my life but you were paid waayyy too much to do that" Isn't that just suggesting that Americans believe that it's not worth the payment of seeing their children and grandchildren grow?

August 1, 2013 at 03:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. jordan sneakers

Well this is Seriously? Doctors say they're underpaid – The Chart – CNN.com Blogs very useful . jordan sneakers http://www.jordanssneakersmall.com/

August 1, 2013 at 07:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. girl Jordan 11 Low shoes

you can click on the New Balance 574 ML574UA Red White Black shoes here have are the lowest discount shoes girl Jordan 11 Low shoes http://www.ajgirlshoes.com/

August 1, 2013 at 15:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. linux hosting

Hello, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your blog in Ie, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, awesome blog!| linux hosting http://bleacherreport.com/users/1924408-hoyt-fulton

August 4, 2013 at 08:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Underpaid

Yeah, I went to school for 7 years too to get the degree to do what I'd dreamed of my entire life. Then I had an accident on the 4th of July some years ago. I stepped into a deep but narrow hole that wasn't visible in the high grass where I was walking. I was taken to the local hospital where I waited alone in the waiting room with no one asking me if I needed anything for 2 hours while they tried to find a doctor to see me. Apparently everyone was out having a barbecue somewhere and the on-call was not wanting to come in on his night out. I had a shattered elbow, broken wrist, broken shoulder, dislocated hip, torn ligaments in my knee and damaged 3 vertebrae in my back. Eventually I asked for some ice because I had so much swelling and the pain was excruciating. It took forever to get it.

There was no triage and no pain pills and no wheel chair. I sat on a hard plastic chair alone for hours. They took me back finally and ran me through a series of tests before a doctor ever saw me. The next morning I saw a doctor. I had to have surgery.

The surgery was done incorrectly. As a result, I lost 60% use of my arm. They used screws the wrong size and the bones came apart. I kept saying I could feel the screws and things moving around. The orthopedist xrayed it and told me I was crazy. I finally got a 2nd opinion after 6 weeks and 4 sets of xrays and found out the awful truth.

Multiple surgeries followed while they tried to save my arm and allow me some use of it. It's my dominant hand. I have bad small motor function, can't do writing by hand except for signatures, can't reach my mouth or the back of my head, can't push or pull, can't lift more than a couple of pounds, have pieces break off the bone from time to time as the years go by which is excruciating.

I could not take care of my children for an entire year because of repeated surgeries and constant physical therapy and massive pain.

The doctor got paid, not only by the insurance company but also the enormous sum that was billed to me by him and the hospital for ruining my life. The new doctor refused to testify against him on how badly he had mangled me. I lost my career which depended on my being able to use both arms.

Guess what... I had loans to pay because I went to college for 7 years. Now I work in customer service making $11 an hour and live in a rental house with a car payment I can barley afford while the doc who ruined my life rides off into the sunset in his Lexus to his fancy home and his boat. My kids are going into debt to their eyeballs to go to college. One of them became a nurse. She wanted to be a doctor but we can't afford to send her to medical school.

Do doctors get over paid? Hell yes, a lot of them do because this is how they treat people. I know they are not all like this man... but a lot of them are. I've run into a few now because I have so much permanent damage... the doctor who prescribed strong sleeping pills when I complained that I was tired all the time. I told him something was wrong and I thought I needed a sleep study. Turns out I have severe sleep apnea... he didn't want to send me for a study so instead he almost killed me. If it hadn't been for my dog jumping all over me, I would never have awakened and my kids would be without a mother. He kept telling me that it was all in my head because I was over weight. I wanted him to help me lose weight and he'd just tell me to exercise but never with any ideas of how to do that with as much physical damage as I have. He also told me I had carpal tunnel syndrome because of my weight... not because I have to use one hand to do everything. No matter what issue I had... sinus infection, bronchitis... he blamed on my weight. I have heard that a number of other patients were misdiagnosed by him as well and that he has had several malpractice suits against him in the last few years so that he retired.

There was the "pain specialist" my primary care physician sent me to who did nothing for me and only tried to sell me extremely expensive, non-covered supplements from his office. Right... I have bones grinding on each other and pain radiating from crushed vertebrae... think some of that Saw Grass and Ginseng will help me right out of my pain. He refused to prescribe any kind of medication for pain and discouraged me from using OTC meds but wanted me to spend thousands on his self-enriching nonsense. I worked in a health food store. I know what supplements are for and what I needed them for was not covered by what he was trying to sell me.

Doctors don't like patients who have an education. They like patients who are stupid and do whatever they are told and spend what ever is asked. There's no power to be had over an educated patient who wants to partner in their health care. And I think that a LOT of physicians go into it, not out of a desire to help and heal, but out of a desire for power, prestige and money. Not everyone is in the top of the class... there's a lot of bottom and middle folks out there too, all too willing to take advantage.

August 5, 2013 at 13:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jake

your weight is the cause of your problems, you wouldn't have fell if you werent fat

August 9, 2013 at 15:21 | Report abuse |
    • E

Let me boil it down:

You are overweight. Probably obese. Something that did not happen overnight.

Judging by associated medical conditions (those you mentioned, those implied), I would find most health care systems and insurance companies to consider you a huge liability and drain on resources.

Despite that, you found a doc willing to take you as a patient.

Yet, you are still complaining?!

October 19, 2013 at 10:58 | Report abuse |
    • Ashley

Why are you blaming a doctor for your own misfortune. Watch where you are walking next time!

October 26, 2013 at 14:21 | Report abuse |
    • NAT

The fact that you have so many problems with so many different doctors raises many red flags. Sounds like maybe some of the responsibility falls on you......

November 4, 2013 at 21:42 | Report abuse |
  24. Liria

Of course they don't get over paid. Let's not forget the 200K loans in tuition that is paid because of medical school and that is NOT including undergrad tuition and the interests rate that come along with it. Doctors are a slave to their debt and to the medical world and a good percentage don't make it home in time to kiss their children goodnight yet they go home...sleep..and do it all over again.

August 10, 2013 at 03:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. missmsry98

You fail to mention that Residents are paid, usually more than most people, even with college degrees, could hope to make.

August 14, 2013 at 16:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • George

I'm a resident. I work 80 in-hospital hours per week. I read and prepare to treat complex patients after I get home. Often I have to dictate charts from home. I get 4 hours of sleep on a good night and it's not because I have trouble sleeping. I make an average residents salary - just under $9 an hour (accounting for in hospital hours only). That's after 13 years of school/training after high school and I carry an education debt (Undergrad+Med school) of $256k. I will be 39 before my first real job. Its shocking to me that people try to argue we're not underpaid.

August 19, 2013 at 23:43 | Report abuse |
    • Ashley

And normal people don't work 80+ hours a week. Residents used to work 100 hrs plus. 80 hours is the equivelent of 2 jobs. Residents basically make minimum wage or less. Please stop crying and go on to flipping your burgers. Thanks. (I'm not a doctor and make probably a third what one does)

October 26, 2013 at 14:18 | Report abuse |
  26. missmsry98

I'm not too fond of their office staff either. I almost lost my leg because the "specialist" office staff couldn't get me in for 4 weeks, when I had explained that my "sprain" was obviously more serious than the other doctor thought.. Yep, I was hopping along on a broken ankle for 4 weeks.

August 14, 2013 at 16:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ashley

Honestly, if you were telling the whole story they would have gotten you in. You have to be your own advocate. You don't live in Canada so stop crying.

October 26, 2013 at 14:16 | Report abuse |
  27. Laura

It just makes me so frustrated that people have the guts to say surgeons are overpaid! Darn, they are deprived of their own personal freedom due to their careers. They spend the majority of their time studying/ working to save people's life! What about Sport Athletes? They are the ones overpaid, and for what? A stupid ruckus over a ball. If people value their lives so lowly that they would prioritize pointless games over them, I'd like to see them cope without the luxury of doctors.... (My rage about this subject is beyond formal words :/ )

August 25, 2013 at 00:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Mark John

Do you need a loan to start up a business? Do you need a loan to pay off your bills? We currently offer Educational loan, Business loan, home loan, Agricultural loan, Personal loan, Auto loan etc, If you need a loan indicate your interest so we can send further details to you. Contact us via email (markjohnfinance@yahoo.com)
    LOAN APPLICATION FORM Full Name:
    Country:
    State:
    City:
    Sex:
    Phone No:
    Loan Amount :
    Monthly income:
    Occupation:
    Loan Period:
    Purpose of Loan:

September 6, 2013 at 12:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Ashley

Why on God's green earth would insurance company send a check to the patient?? This isn't car insurance. You can't say oh I'm not sure who is going to fix my face when it was already taken care of. And you wonder why health care is so expensive. Because of drunk dead beat idiots like Dave.

October 26, 2013 at 14:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Max Washington

LEGITIMATE LOAN FINANCE FIRM
    Address: Gerards Cross Bucks SL9 8BB England.
    Registration Number: N150409
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Welcome to Legitimate Loan Finance Firm. We assist the needy in bringing financial stability so as to improve the daily standard of living thereby giving the assumption of a sense of belonging.
    We give out Loans from the range of $1,000 and above.
    BENEFITS
    • Maximum Security(guaranteed)
    • Loan Insurance(guaranteed)
    • Available 24hours/7days
    • No Collateral Required
    • Interest rate of 1.3%
    • Repayment Grace Period of Six(6) months
    • Payment is made to applicant via wire transfer 12hours, Bank transfer to Bank Account 30minutes, Western Union or Money Gram is 15minutes via Cheque.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Did this interest you? Please fill the form below!

Name...................................................
    Sex......................................................
    Country................................................
    Occupation..........................................
    Marital Status.......................................
    Phone Number......................................
    Monthly Income....................................
    Address...............................................
    Purpose for obtaining Loan...................................
    Telephone............................................
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Get Reliable Loan today from Legitimate loan finance firm.
    Our Email: legitimateloanfinancefirm@gmail.com

November 7, 2013 at 04:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. DR FORRESTER

The patient that spent the $3,000.00 that the insurance company gave him.......IF I WERE THAT DR.....I WOULD SMASH HIS FACE BACK IN AND QUIT THE PROFESSION!!!! It is not about the money just the principle of the matter!!! NO WONDER THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A SHORTAGE OF HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS!!!

November 9, 2013 at 10:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Sir Carlos Cantona

Have you ever think of getting an affordable loan from reputable lender? Have you applied for a loan you were rip off by the fake lender? Have you been seeking finance and you denied of the loan in your bank? Congratulation you are in the right place to obtain this loan with a low interest rate of 2% for more contact and enquirers contact us via email: carloscantonaloanhome@gmail.com for immediate processing and registration of your loan to take place.

Sincerely
    Sir Carlos Cantona

November 15, 2013 at 01:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. janices

I’m janices by name. I live in USA, i want to use this medium to alert all loan seekers to be very careful because there are scammers everywhere.Few months ago I was financially strained, and due to my desperation I was scammed by several online lenders. I had almost lost hope until a friend of mine referred me to a very reliable lender called Rev. John who lend me an unsecured loan of $85,000 under 2hours without any stress. If you are in need of any kind of loan just contact him now via sangqiangcashloans@yahoo.co.za I‘m using this medium to alert all loan seekers because of the hell I passed through in the hands of those fraudulent lenders. And I don’t wish even my enemy to pass through such hell that I passed through in the hands of those fraudulent online lenders,i will also want you to help me pass this information to others who are also in need of a loan once you have also receive your loan from Rev.JOhn, i pray that God should give him long life.

God bless him forever.

November 15, 2013 at 04:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. http://www.radioamahoela.nl/indext.asp?p=120

Obama's promise of a more effective infrastructure remains at the very least partially unfulfilled. Previous calendar year, he says stimulus paying out would fork out for "remaking the American landscape" with new highways, bridges and transit that "will provide genuine and lasting adjust for generations to come."
    http://www.radioamahoela.nl/indext.asp?p=120 http://www.radioamahoela.nl/indext.asp?p=120

November 27, 2013 at 23:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. http://www.stpaulstadley.org.uk/wemen.html

By looking at and comprehending the high quality print of one's assertion, you'll be working towards correct credit card administration. It may also provide help to learn how your credit card programme performs.
    http://www.stpaulstadley.org.uk/wemen.html http://www.stpaulstadley.org.uk/wemen.html

November 27, 2013 at 23:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. glareeestuaks

ん。 この記事では、質問をしますが、大麻使用の長期的な影響を [url=http://viewdesigncompany.com/news/celine.php]CELINE ハンカチ 通販[/url] 保つことができます。 さらに、それ?sがまたdivorce. [url=http://www.banualpay.com/category-3.html]クロエ ショルダーバッグ[/url] た、と彼女の娘は、ノッティンガムベースのしっかりしたから、彼 [url=http://www.bradbietry.com/?????????-?????€??????-c-41.html]メンズ新着商品[/url] れていることを結婚相談所からの資料を参照してくださいように提 [url=http://www.ez2cast.com/?????????????????????????€?-?????????????????????-576-c-16_19.html]ニューバランス 576[/url] オンライン出会い系サービスの多くは、参加者が自分のウェブサイ [url=http://www.traxploitation.com/ugg-%E3%83%98%E3%82%A4%E3%82%A2%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0-%E3%83%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9%E3%82%A2%E3%83%83%E3%83%97-c-23.html]UGG ブーツ 正規品 見分け方 2013[/url] めることができます。

そこで、彼らはしばしば、すでに信じている ピアスをする最も苦痛領域とへそ。 舌は、それがす

November 27, 2013 at 23:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. abumere sara

Goodday?I am Mrs Abumere Sara, I am here to help those who need financial help right? If you have debts to be erased can contact us? Are you financially down and you need to set up a business? Does the bank turned you down because of your bad credit? you do not have to worry about that breakthrough Financial Services is willing to give you a loan at low interest rate.If you are interested in our loan offer and wish to apply for a loan, get in touch with us today by replying to this message or simply email us via: abumeresaraloanfirm@gmail.com NOTE: YOU ARE TO GIVE ME THIS INFORMATION,

FULL NAME:
    CONTACT ADDRESS:
    AMOUNT NEEDED AS LOAN:
    PHONE NUMBER:
    SEX:
    AGE:
    OCCUPATION:
    LOAN DURATION:
    PURPOSE OF LOAN:
    COUNTRY:
    STATE:

I await your prompt response

thank you.

December 7, 2013 at 10:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Cornell

Good day,

we want to congratulate you that your loan has been approve for transfer and you we receive it soon,but as i said in my previous mail the bank requires the transfer fee to enable it to be done,as you can see,the bank transfer charges is going to cost you the amount of 70 pounds,once you are in agreement to make the payment to get your loan transferred to you,you are to get back to us,so we could send you the information to send the money into ok.

we await your mail,

Best Regards,
    Cornell.

December 12, 2013 at 18:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. jobsies

They are incredibly overpaid. I have a dear friend who is a surgeon. He works countless hours, never misses a day if rounds, texts and emails patients to check up on them...if you divided the number if hours they put into a patient...it's sad. Let's look at Dave. 11 hours for the consult and surgery. Then visiting every day for two months..changing dressings...even if just half an hour was spent on that, that's what 40 hours minimum..that's $80/hr ... Less than a massage person charges...a mechanic...the maid cleaning your house, oh...and he has to pay student loans out the wazoo, medical insurance in case Dave decides to sue him because he's not exactly like he was prior...

Underpaid? Definitely!

January 5, 2014 at 06:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Olivia

Hi everyone here. What Christine Coleman said is very true though i may not know her. I experienced it first hand also. It was this organization called fidelity loan firm (f.l.f)that really helped me to pay my medical bills when i was in dare need of money because i am a widow. A friend of my also directed me to them. when i was about to do a major operation and i had no money at that time, they came to my rescue and in less than 48 hours, i got my loan. But to say the truth, i was nervous and scared at first because i have been scammed twice. But when i summoned up courage and follow their lending policies along with my friends advice, at the end i found myself smiling. If not for them, maybe i would have been dead by now. I have even taken another loan from them start my business after my recovery which i am also paying back now. My only advice now is that any body who is really in need of loan should contact them with their email via: fidelityloanfirm@outlook.com and get a loan from them. Thanks.(Olivia)

February 6, 2014 at 04:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. poyhonen

What if subsidies were to be paid directly to doctors in terms of a co-pay per visit with a value set by the doctor?
    The government has its co-pay subsidy – like Medicare, and the doctor charges the patient a co-pay as well.
    No insurance. No insurance forms, records, billing, salesmen, or lawyers. Just a record of activities already maintained by the care facility and a bill sent to the Government, (State and Fed), and a bill to the patient. The doctor sets the patient co-pay. Such a system would cover everyone, (in the State), and no service would be rendered for zero pay. The doctor can forego charges for patient copay if desired but at least get a deduction for payments not rendered.
    What if?? Any healthcare service members who can please reply or is this a hare brained scheme?

February 14, 2014 at 16:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Blogaloga

I so agree! I think doctors are extremely underpaid. Annually, celebrities are paid, what, like 10 million dollars for looking pretty and memorizing a few words. Surgeons of all sorts take their time to save human LIVES, and they get paid about a billionth of that. I think that people with professions like teaching, and doctoring should be the ones who can afford thousand dollar shoes

March 4, 2014 at 11:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. laytonlang

Anthony, you did not mention that during the Physicians’ training period, they are compensated. Your article should have compared and contrasted a physician’s training and carrier path to an upper level business manager who would be making the same amount of money. Many of them possess MBAs, which requires 6 years of college. When they get out and begin working at age 24, they are making entry level salaries. With luck and skill, like physicians in training, they will succeed in all challenges and advance in the company. By the time they are in their mid to late 30"s, they will be making an income comparable to a physician. So, what is the difference?

March 6, 2014 at 11:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Mr Andrew Clinton

CLINTON LOAN FINANCE FIRM
    Address: Gerards Cross Bucks SL9 8BB England.
    Registration Number: N150409
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Welcome to Clinton Loan Finance Firm. We assist the needy in bringing financial stability so as to improve the daily standard of living thereby giving the assumption of a sense of belonging.We give out Loans from the range of $1,000 and above.
    BENEFITS
    • Maximum Security(guaranteed)
    • Loan Insurance(guaranteed)
    • Available 24hours/7days
    • No Collateral Required
    • Interest rate of 1.3%
    • Repayment Grace Period of Six(6) months
    • Payment is made to applicant via wire transfer 12hours,
    Bank transfer to Bank Account 30minutes,
    Western Union or Money Gram is 15minutes via Cheque.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Did this interest you? Please fill the form below and apply now!

Personal Information

Name...................................................
    Sex......................................................
    Country................................................
    Occupation..........................................
    Marital Status.......................................
    Phone Number......................................
    Monthly Income....................................
    Address...............................................
    Purpose for obtaining Loan...................................
    Telephone............................................
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Get Reliable Loan today from Clinton loan finance firm.
    Our Email: loanfirms007@gmail.com

Mr Andrew Clinton

April 8, 2014 at 13:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. happy

Hello,i am Mr Benson, a private loan lender who
    gives life time opportunity loans. Do you need an
    urgent loan to clear your debts or you need a
    capital loan to improve your business? have you
    been rejected by banks and other financial
    agencies? Do you need a consolidation loan or a
    mortgage? search no more as we are here to make
    all your financial problems a thing of the past. We
    loan funds out to individuals in need of financial
    assistance, that have a bad credit or in need of
    money to pay bills,to invest on business at a rate of
    2%. I want to use this medium to inform you that
    we render reliable and beneficiary assistance and
    will be willing to offer you a loan. So email us today on
    bencoloanhome@hotmail.com

April 10, 2014 at 18:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Lara Smith

Hello everyone my name is Lara Smith, am 36 years of age , I want to inform you all about the goodness of the lord for finally leading me to a really and genuine loan lender named Mr James Lewis, the managing director of LEWIS LOAN COMPANY {lewisloancompany@yahoo.com} after been scammed by other fake lenders, i was hopeless and didn't know who to trust while he came and put a great smile on my face at my greatest surprise. Anyone of you that have also be a victim of scam, you should bother no more cos, i have bring you good news and the only lender you can trust, just contact them now via: lewisloancompany@yahoo.com for more info on how to get your loan.

AM SO HAPPY, THANKS BE TO MR James Lewis OF lewisloancompany@yahoo.com for giving me a loan of 96,000.00USD.

April 17, 2014 at 22:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Mr.Paul Wilson

Welcome to ICK FINANCES GROUP LOANS COMPANY, we offer loan to clients who are in serious need of financial assistance you need to borrow money to invest, and pay bills.We have received your email about applying for your loan, we want you to know that we have all kinds of loans with interest below 3%, so we offer loans denominated in euro , pound. and dollars The loans are well insured for maximum security,Is our priority Contact us via email:ickfinancegrouploans@hotmail.com. Loan application forms
    1) Full Name:
    2) Country:
    3) Address:
    4) states:
    5) Gender:
    6) status:
    7) Occupation:
    8) Telephone Number:
    9)monthly income:
    10) Loan Amount Needed:
    11) Loan Duration

Waiting for your response with program details,Please do not hesitate to contact us Email:ickfinancegrouploans@hotmail.com. for more information. ICK FINANCES GROUP LOANS COMPANY.Mr.Pual Wilson

April 18, 2014 at 04:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. paul

My name is Mr Paul Ferdinand, i am from Chicago USA, married, i have been searching for a genuine loan company for the past 3 months and all i got was bunch of scams who made me to trust them and at the end of the day, they took my money without giving anything in return, all my hope was lost, i got confused and frustrated,i find it very difficult to feed my family, i never wanted to have anything to do with loan companies on net, so went to borrow some money from a friend, i told him all that happened and he said he can help me, that he knows a loan company that can help me, that he just got a loan from them, he directed me on how to apply for the loan, i did as he told me, i applied, i never believed but i tried and to my greatest surprise i got the loan within 24 hours, i could not believe, i am happy and rich again and i am thanking God that such loan companies like this still exist upon this scams all over the places, please i advise everyone out there who are in need of loan to go for fidelityloanfirm@outlook.com they will never fail, your life shall change as mine did.

April 19, 2014 at 03:32 | Report abuse | Reply