home
RSS
Seriously? Doctors say they're underpaid
May 1st, 2012

Seriously? Doctors say they're underpaid

Anthony Youn, M.D., is a plastic surgeon in metro Detroit. He is the author of “In Stitches,” a humorous memoir about growing up Asian American and becoming a doctor.

Full disclosure: I have no complaints about how much I make.

But many other physicians are not as satisfied - a recent study by Medscape revealed that 49% of doctors believe they're not fairly compensated. Of primary care physicians, this percentage increases to 54%.

It’s no myth that doctors are some of the highest paid professionals in the country. So why are they complaining?

It’s likely because of situations like Dr. Peterson’s.

Dr. Peterson is a plastic surgeon whom I worked with during my residency. A kind, competent physician, his new, fledgling practice consisted of reconstructive surgery. He treated women with breast cancer, paraplegics with pressure sores, and burn patients.

I was the on-call plastic surgery resident one night when a 42-year-old man - let’s call him Dave - was brought into the hospital at 3 a.m. He had fallen off a roof while intoxicated. Dave broke several bones in his face and shattered his lower leg.

I stumbled out of bed and met Dr. Peterson in the ER, where we spent the next three hours assessing Dave’s injuries and repairing his lacerations. Five days later Dr. Peterson and I performed an eight-hour operation, reconstructing his broken facial bones and performing a muscle transfer to help heal his fractured legs. For the next two months, we visited Dave in the hospital each and every day, changing his bandages and making sure he healed properly.

Not once did Dave thank Dr. Peterson for his care.

Instead, Dave took more than $3,000 from him.

Close scrutiny

Quite possibly no other occupation in the country receives such attention regarding the income its members receive. And that’s not a new trend - more than 70% of respondents of a survey published in the 1985 American Journal of Public Health believed doctors were overpaid.

The Medscape survey found the average physician compensation now ranges from a high of $315,000 for orthopedic surgeons to a low of $156,000 for pediatricians. Sounds pretty good right?

Consider that physicians must complete at least four years of college, four years of medical school, and between three to eight years of residency training prior to becoming a real, practicing doctor. Many physicians don’t start earning “doctor-level” salaries until they are well into their 30s.

A 2009 survey by U.S. News found the typical medical student graduated with $141,132 in debt. The graduates of some schools averaged more than $200,000 in loans.
So how do doctors’ salaries compare with other well-paying professions?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average computer and information system manager earns $125,660 per year. The average lawyer makes $130,490 per year. Orthodontists take home $204,670. The New York Times recently reported the average base pay for managing directors at Morgan Stanley is $400,000. At Goldman Sachs, it’s $600,000. The average salary of an NFL player is $1.9 million. NBA players average $5.15 million per year.

Just for putting a ball in a hoop.

When you consider these numbers, the thought of pediatricians making $156,000 a year doesn’t seem unreasonable. They often see 50 patients per day, answer our calls at all hours, and keep our kids healthy.

What about critical care physicians? They average $240,000 a year, but are responsible for keeping the sickest of us alive. One-quarter of critical care physicians spend more than 65 hours per week with their patients, not including time doing paperwork.

Unlike most other professions, there is a ceiling to what most doctors can earn. Physician compensation is tightly controlled by the government and insurance companies. Medicine is also the only profession where its members are required to sometimes work for free.

No return on investment

Which brings us back to Dave.

Three months later, I accompanied Dr. Peterson in his clinic to see Dave for a follow-up appointment. Dr. Peterson seemed a bit distracted. At the end of the visit I found out why.

“I’m glad you’re doing so well, Dave,” said Dr. Peterson.

“Yeah, I’m really happy with how things have turned out,” he replied.

“So Dave, this is a little awkward for me, but I need to ask you something. Two weeks ago your insurance company sent you a check for $3,200 to forward to me for all my surgical and office fees.”

“Yeah, so?”

“Well, um,” Dr. Peterson stuttered. “We never received it from you.”

“No, you didn’t. I cashed it and spent it.”

“Dave, why would you do that?”

“I figured you’re a rich doctor. I need the money more than you.”

What do you think? Are doctors being underpaid? Tell us in the comments below.

soundoff (2,191 Responses)
  1. Taya Smith

Loan directly to your personal account

Do you want a loan offer without any payment of the approval fee? If yes,

please contact kiva_finance@outlook.com following details and go ahead.

Full name:
    Gender:
    Social status:
    Occupation:
    country:
    Contact Address:
    Monthly income:
    Loan Amount required:
    Loan Period:
    phone number:
    The reason for the loan:

August 30, 2017 at 02:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. adidas consortium

Samuelsen joined West Ham from Manchester City and he made his senior bow for the east London side in last seasons Europa League qualifiers.
    adidas consortium http://a.frcls.fr/chaussure-de-course-Adidas-Originals-Top-Ten-Hi-Homme-noir-Black-jaune-d-and-apos-or-Gold-Adidas-Consortium-AS5491.html

September 1, 2017 at 20:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. john

Doctors are some of the highest paid professionals in the country. So why are they complaining?
    Ecommerce Website design companies

September 11, 2017 at 03:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Favour Henry

Attention,
    Do you need Finance?
    Are you looking for Finance?
    Are you looking for a money to enlarge your business, personal loans, student loans, Christmas loans, mortgage loans, consolidation loans? We help individuals and companies to obtain loan for business
    expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get a loan at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this cash/loan for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via Email:(tomcrist846@gmail.com)

C.E.O/ Tom Crist.

September 14, 2017 at 13:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Wesley Dwayne

WHENEVER YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONES NEED A LOAN UPSTART LOAN IS THE BEST, TESTED AND TRUSTED. BEWARE OF RIPPERS ONLINE.( Email: upstartloan@yahoo.com or text/call +1(574) 301-1639 ).

Good day, Out of my busy schedule just feel like to quickly share this because i know am going to save thousand of lives with this. A lot of persons will agree with me that fake loan lenders is no longer a news to us it has been trending for some months now and i was also victimized when i tried seeking for a loan for the invention of a new patent and invest on stock. After so many failed attempt to get a loan there was one company who proved themself to be different among the rest, They are trust worthy, straight forward, honest and reliable. I won't say much because as the saying goes "experience is the best teacher", I will candid advice anyone who need a loan of any amount to kindly contact this one and only true lenders UPSTART LOAN on their email address: ( upstartloan@yahoo.com ) Or you can as well text/call them on ( +1(574) 301-1639 ) . I remain my humble self Wesley Kurt Dwayne, I reside at Park Ave Richmond VA 23220. Say no more to be victim of scam enough is enough for the wise, Don't trust until you verified contact UPSTART LOAN now and share your own awesome experience with them.

September 14, 2017 at 15:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. andrew kelvin

TRUSTEE ACCOUNT LIMITED is a British based financial consulting company with years of experience in the international and local finance market. Be it lease bank guarantee, Stand by letter of credit or any type of refinancing, talk to our team at Secure Finance Services, absolutely sure they will set your business on the right path with our sound financial advice.

Our bank instrument can be help you fund you projects in Trading, funding project(s) such as Aviation, Agriculture, Petroleum, Telecommunication, construction of Dams, Bridges, Real Estate and all kind of projects.Having years of professional, invaluable experience in the banking and finance industry, and having access to dozens of different prominent trusted and reliable providers, our Financial Services consultants will crawl through hundreds of products to find one that perfectly matches your needs.

Purchase Instrument of BG/SBLC : 32%+2% Min Face Value cut =5M- 10B EUR/USD

Lease Instrument of BG/SBLC : 4%+2% Min Face Value cut = 5M- 10B EUR/USD

Name:ANDREW KELVIN

Email:trusteeactlmt@gmail.com

Skype;trusteeactlmt

September 14, 2017 at 20:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. keteshafrank2@gmail.com

How i got my Desired Loan Amount from a Reliable Loan Company called Adolf Alex Loan company and you can email them on: ( Adolfloancompany@yahoo.com) or Text them on: (913) 274-9127

September 15, 2017 at 02:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Favour Henry

Attention,
    Do you need Finance?
    Are you looking for Finance?
    Are you looking for money to enlarge your business, personal loans, student loans, Christmas loans, mortgage loans, consolidation loans? We help individuals and companies to obtain loan for business

C.E.O/ Tom Crist.

September 16, 2017 at 04:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Wesley Dwayne

===================

September 16, 2017 at 15:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. lisa

Good Day,

Compliment of the day ,I am Mrs Lisa Michael ,You can't believe what i just got, A loan of $55,000. I have been looking for a loan for the past a year now until i was referred to a legitimate lender. Though it was not that easy to approve my loan, as you know nothing good comes easy. But I got my loan within a week,Before i knew it, the loan was transferred to me. please friends, don't let any body deceive you and scam you for this is real. Contact them at :michelle.silvafinance@yandex.com

September 19, 2017 at 18:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Own Thomas

I live in USA Duck town TN and i am a happy woman today? I told my self that any Loan lender that could change my Life and that of my family, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to Them. If you are in need of loan and you are 100% sure to pay back the loan please contact them and please tell them that Shelby Montgomery referred you to them. ( ownthomas14@gmail.com)Good Luck!!

September 23, 2017 at 22:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Oz

If there were as many football/basketball players as there are doctors....they wouldn't be getting paid as much. The barrier to becoming a doctor can be hurdled by anyone that's willing to put in the time and effort. The same can't be said for sports. The true hero is the surgeon that operates on the patient and not the doctor that sends the patient to the surgeon. Those guys get paid well. They make around 400k a year where I live and that's no small change. After deducting away malpractice insurance, you're then taxed just like everyone else but at a higher bracket. Student loans are an issue but I'm sure with some proper financial planning, you can pay it all off within 3 years.

September 26, 2017 at 16:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. JASON GREY

Hi, My name is JASON GREY and I have being hearing about this blank ATM card for a while and i never really paid any interest to it because of my doubts. Until one day i discovered a hacking guy called CARL. I inquired about The Blank ATM Card. They told me that its a card programmed for random money withdraws without being noticed and can also be used for free online purchases of any kind. This was shocking and i still had my doubts. Then i gave it a try and asked for the card and agreed to their terms and conditions.. Four days later I received my card and tried with the closest ATM machine close to me, to my greatest surprise It worked like magic. I was able to withdraw up to $3000. I just felt this might help those of us in need of financial stability. blank ATM has really change my life. If you want to contact them, Here is the email address (atmcardservice41@gmail.com) And I believe they will also Change your Life.

September 30, 2017 at 16:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. kaine

Do you seek funding for personal use? We
    offers all type of financial financial supports for Business/Home loans, Investment loans, Transportation loans, Project
    financing and line of credit loans at interest rate of 3% per annual.
    Please Contact us on:Fkaine19@GMAIL.COM or https://kainefinance19.wixsite.com/kainefinance for full loan
    proceedings if interested.

October 12, 2017 at 05:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Oscar Morgan

I WILL KEEP TESTIFYING YOUR KID GESTURE TOWARD PEOPLES LIFE ON YOUR LOAN SERVICES WITH 2% AND YOU HAVE SAVES LIFE'S WITH THIS POSITIVE ACTIONS.. DO YOU DESIRE A LOAN TODAY ? ARE YOU FINANCIALLY BREAK DOWN AND YOU NEED TO GET ON YOUR FIT AGAIN ? JUST CONTACT THIS EMAIL NOW : pfcindia34@gmail.com

If you need a business or any kind of loan please Forward your application now via this email: pfcindia34@gmail.com

October 12, 2017 at 20:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Hugh Mckeon

Finding a genuine provider of financial instrument is very challenging but
    we are certified Financial Instrument providers in Ireland. Presently, we
    only focus on BG/SBLC for Lease and Sale transactions. However, our Lease
    BG/SBLC is 4+2% and Sale at 32+2%.

Should you find this interesting and acceptable? Kindly, contact us and we
    shall review and respond with draft Contract/MOU within 48hrs maximum.

Please request for full procedure details if interested.

For further inquiry contact:
    Name : Hugh mckeon
    E-mail : mchugh017@gmail.com
    Skype id :mchugh017@gmail.com

October 13, 2017 at 05:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Mr Garry

Do you need a loan at 3%? We offer all kinds of loans, We offer Business Loans, Car Loan,s House Loans, Christmas Loan. Kindly contact us if you need a loan. Call or text us +14156895065. You can also write us on Whatsapp. +15188558838
    or Email": garrywiltonloan756@gmail.com
    Mr Garry Wilton

October 17, 2017 at 16:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Stephen Hill

How To Get Urgent Blank Atm Card
    We provide services for anyone on how to use the blank ATM cards we have created to hack into any ATM machine around the world without being traced. get blank ATM Programmed card and cash money directly in any ATM machine around you. there is no risk of being caught, because the card has been programmed in such a way that it’s not traceable, it also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you, this blank ATM cards are not for free, they are bought from us and shipped to your location.
    We deal with serious people who want this Card.
    Email : Stephenhillblankatmhacker@gmail.com .

October 19, 2017 at 04:10 | Report abuse | Reply