home
RSS
Seriously? Doctors say they're underpaid
May 1st, 2012

Seriously? Doctors say they're underpaid

Anthony Youn, M.D., is a plastic surgeon in metro Detroit. He is the author of “In Stitches,” a humorous memoir about growing up Asian American and becoming a doctor.

Full disclosure: I have no complaints about how much I make.

But many other physicians are not as satisfied - a recent study by Medscape revealed that 49% of doctors believe they're not fairly compensated. Of primary care physicians, this percentage increases to 54%.

It’s no myth that doctors are some of the highest paid professionals in the country. So why are they complaining?

It’s likely because of situations like Dr. Peterson’s.

Dr. Peterson is a plastic surgeon whom I worked with during my residency. A kind, competent physician, his new, fledgling practice consisted of reconstructive surgery. He treated women with breast cancer, paraplegics with pressure sores, and burn patients.

I was the on-call plastic surgery resident one night when a 42-year-old man - let’s call him Dave - was brought into the hospital at 3 a.m. He had fallen off a roof while intoxicated. Dave broke several bones in his face and shattered his lower leg.

I stumbled out of bed and met Dr. Peterson in the ER, where we spent the next three hours assessing Dave’s injuries and repairing his lacerations. Five days later Dr. Peterson and I performed an eight-hour operation, reconstructing his broken facial bones and performing a muscle transfer to help heal his fractured legs. For the next two months, we visited Dave in the hospital each and every day, changing his bandages and making sure he healed properly.

Not once did Dave thank Dr. Peterson for his care.

Instead, Dave took more than $3,000 from him.

Close scrutiny

Quite possibly no other occupation in the country receives such attention regarding the income its members receive. And that’s not a new trend - more than 70% of respondents of a survey published in the 1985 American Journal of Public Health believed doctors were overpaid.

The Medscape survey found the average physician compensation now ranges from a high of $315,000 for orthopedic surgeons to a low of $156,000 for pediatricians. Sounds pretty good right?

Consider that physicians must complete at least four years of college, four years of medical school, and between three to eight years of residency training prior to becoming a real, practicing doctor. Many physicians don’t start earning “doctor-level” salaries until they are well into their 30s.

A 2009 survey by U.S. News found the typical medical student graduated with $141,132 in debt. The graduates of some schools averaged more than $200,000 in loans.
So how do doctors’ salaries compare with other well-paying professions?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average computer and information system manager earns $125,660 per year. The average lawyer makes $130,490 per year. Orthodontists take home $204,670. The New York Times recently reported the average base pay for managing directors at Morgan Stanley is $400,000. At Goldman Sachs, it’s $600,000. The average salary of an NFL player is $1.9 million. NBA players average $5.15 million per year.

Just for putting a ball in a hoop.

When you consider these numbers, the thought of pediatricians making $156,000 a year doesn’t seem unreasonable. They often see 50 patients per day, answer our calls at all hours, and keep our kids healthy.

What about critical care physicians? They average $240,000 a year, but are responsible for keeping the sickest of us alive. One-quarter of critical care physicians spend more than 65 hours per week with their patients, not including time doing paperwork.

Unlike most other professions, there is a ceiling to what most doctors can earn. Physician compensation is tightly controlled by the government and insurance companies. Medicine is also the only profession where its members are required to sometimes work for free.

No return on investment

Which brings us back to Dave.

Three months later, I accompanied Dr. Peterson in his clinic to see Dave for a follow-up appointment. Dr. Peterson seemed a bit distracted. At the end of the visit I found out why.

“I’m glad you’re doing so well, Dave,” said Dr. Peterson.

“Yeah, I’m really happy with how things have turned out,” he replied.

“So Dave, this is a little awkward for me, but I need to ask you something. Two weeks ago your insurance company sent you a check for $3,200 to forward to me for all my surgical and office fees.”

“Yeah, so?”

“Well, um,” Dr. Peterson stuttered. “We never received it from you.”

“No, you didn’t. I cashed it and spent it.”

“Dave, why would you do that?”

“I figured you’re a rich doctor. I need the money more than you.”

What do you think? Are doctors being underpaid? Tell us in the comments below.

soundoff (2,193 Responses)
  1. Danzmann Horst

We specialized in Bank Guarantee {BG}, Standby Letter of Credit {SBLC}, Medium Term Notes {MTN}, Confirmable Bank Draft {CBD} as well as other financial instruments issued from Top AA Rated bank such as HSBC Bank Hong Kong, HSBC Bank London, Deutsche Bank AG Frankfurt, Barclays Bank , Standard Chartered Bank and others on lease at the lowest available rates depending on the face value of the instrument needed, Our Terms and Conditions are reasonable.

We deliver with time and precision as sethforth in the agreement. Our terms and Conditions are reasonable, below is our instrument description.

TRANSACTION DESCRIPTION:
    1. Instrument: Bank Guarantee (BG) or Standby Letter of Credit (SBLC)
    2. Total Face Value: Euro/USD 1,000,000.00 – Euro/USD 5,000,000,000.00
    3. Issuing Bank: HSBC, Deutsche Bank Frankfurt, UBS or any Top 25
    4. Age: One Year and One Day (With the option of Rolls and Extension)
    5. Leasing Fee: 4% + 2%
    6. Purchsing Fee: 32% + 2%
    7. Delivery: Bank to Bank Swift MT799/MT760
    8. Payment: MT103
    9. Hard Copy: By Bank Bonded Courier within 7 banking days after delivery of Swift.

Intermediaries/Consultants/Brokers are welcome to bring their clients and are 100% protected. In complete confidence,
    we will work together for the benefits of all parties involved.

All relevant business information will be provided upon request plus our terms and
    procedures.

All inquires to Mr Danzmann Horst should include the face value and bank instrument information needed so I can quickly address your needs:

If Interested kindly contact me via

Contact: Danzmann Horst
    Email: horstdanz@outlook.com,horstdanz600@gmail.com
    Skype: Danzmann Horst

August 9, 2017 at 19:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Cathalmchugh

We are Ireland based major/Direct providers of Fresh Cut BG, SBLC, POF, MTN, Bonds and CDs and this financial instruments are specifically for lease and sale.We are one of the leading Financial instrument providers with offices all over Europe.
    we always deliver on time and precision as Set forth in the agreement. You are at liberty to engage our leased facilities into trade programs, project financing, Credit line enhancement, Corporate Loans (Business Start-up Loans or Business Expansion Loans), Equipment Procurement Loans (Industrial Equipment, Air crafts, Ships, etc.) as well as other financial instruments issued from AAA Rated bank such as HSBC Bank Hong Kong, HSBC Bank London, Deutsche Bank AG Frankfurt, Barclays Bank , Standard Chartered Bank and others on lease at the lowest available rates depending on the face value of the instrument needed, Our Terms and Conditions are reasonable.
    DESCRIPTION OF INSTRUMENTS:
    1. Instrument: Bank Guarantee (BG)/SBLC (Appendix A)
    2. Total Face Value: 10M MIN to 50B MAX USD or Euro
    3. Issuing Bank: HSBC, Deutsche Bank Frankfurt, UBS or any Top 25 .
    4. Age: One Year, One Day
    5. Leasing Price: 4+ 1%
    6. Sale Price: 32+2%
    7. Delivery by SWIFT .
    8. Payment: MT103-23
    9. Hard Copy: Bonded Courier within 7 banking days.
    If you have need for Corporate loans, International project funding, etc. or if you have a client that requires funding for his project or business, We are also affiliated with lenders who specialize on funding against financial instruments, such as BG, SBLC, POF or MTN, we fund 100% of the face value of the financial instrument.
    Inquiries from agents/ brokers/ intermediaries are also welcomed; do get back to us if you are interested in any of our services and for quality service.
    Name : Cathal Mc Hugh
    E-mail : Cathalmchugh0700@gmail.com
    Skype id : Cathalmchugh0700@gmail.com

August 10, 2017 at 19:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Wenzel Ronald Joseph

DO YOU NEED LOANS? AT 3% IF YES EMAIL WITH AMOUNT NEEDED. Note all reply should be copy and send to this email wenzelronaldjoseph@gmail.com wenzelronaldjoseph@gmail.com Full name .......... Amount needed: .......... Loan Duration: .......... Age: .......... Country .......... Occupation .......... Phone number.......... Wenzel Ronald Joseph

August 12, 2017 at 17:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. LISA ATM CARD

Hello Sir/Madam.

We are a professional carding team called LISA ATM PROGRAMMER with a large ring around the globe . over 2 million ATM infected with our malware and skimmers, we can grab bank card data which include the track 1 and track 2 with the card pin. long description this page provides the latest hacking news, exploits and vulnerabilities for ethical hackers. Please note that we are ethical hackers and as such only show you how to hack test systems and not other people. We are a professional carding team with a large ring around the globe. We in turn clone this cards using the grabbed data into real ATM cards which can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe at stores and POS. We sell this cards in a very cheap rate to all our customers and interested buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $9,000 on any ATM and its loaded up the range of $500,000.00 to $10,000,000 United State Dollars spending limit. If you’re interested in buying ATM Blank Cards, Fill out the Application form below to enable us to progress your Blank ATM Card okay.

And Note that we are located in the United State Of America and we do also have company in Canada and United Arab Emirates [ DUBAI] etc.

Here is our price list for ATM cards:
    BALANCE PRICE
    $4,500------$220
    $7,800------$340
    $12,000 ----- $650
    $20,000 ----- $1,200
    $35,000 ----–$1,900
    $50,000 ----- $2,700
    $100,000----- $5,200
    The price include shipping fees,order now: via email... ( lisaatmcard@gmail.com )

Here is our company whataspp Number +2349037018939

August 15, 2017 at 09:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Cheap iPad mini

That was it.
    Cheap iPad mini

August 15, 2017 at 23:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Lesliecow

my friends, is any of us know how to pass this level without the need of using these heroes ?
    Can we've a freaking technique that doesn't need cold snapdragon? LOL
    Be sure to observe this and notify me [video=640,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJhxVnrOBrk[/video]

when you consider that I'm pretty confident persons are just browsing this to conquer the extent, never to defeat the level again

August 17, 2017 at 08:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Summit Finance

Are you having one or two difficulties from other financial instrument lender? I want you to take a chance with us you will never regret doing business deal with our firm.We have direct and efficient providers.

I am the sole (Direct) mandate to several genuine efficient providers for lease/sales BG/ SBLC and other financial instruments, at reasonable prices, Issuance by top AAA rated Bank in Europe.Presently, we focus on BG/SBLC for Lease and Sale transactions, However, our Lease BG/SBLC/MTN is 3+1% and Sale at 30%+1%.

Should you find this interesting and acceptable? Kindly, contact us and we shall review and respond with DOA within 48hrs maximum.

Please request for full procedure details if interested.(WE MOVE FIRST)

For further inquiry contact:

Contact us for further detail:
    Email:~ summitfinancialplc@gmail.com
    skype: bgmandate@outlook.com

Contact us for your bank instruments such as SBLC/BG/LC/MTN 100% Protected

August 26, 2017 at 10:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Mak

It is sort of an understatement to say we are underpaid. In reality when you break down the cost of being a doctor, some of us, depends on the region you live in, live at the poverty level. For example, in Los Angeles, 65K per year income, puts you at poverty level, due to high cost of living. I personally "Take home" 80K per year. My practice grosses about 300k, but after paying for my staff, my rent, Mal practice, Worker's comp, Liability, STUDENT LOANS (179K) CMEs, Board Certification, License, DEA number....I am left with at best 80k. I live in a modest home in a modest neighborhood, drive a modest car and send my kids to public school. Yet there isn't a day when a Pt walks into my office asking me for something for free. Or as stated above, 85% of my patients do not pay their balances. They simply think I am well off and really do not deserve more than what the insurance have paid. Even after sending them to collections, I lose 35%. It is sad to be looked at as "greedy" doctor when I know how I struggle. I work 12-13 hours per day 6 days a week. I often take calls on Sunday for hospital consults, and to make 80k per year net, it is very bothersome. However, this mess we created is our own fault. If we do not unite as doctors and take back what is ours, then it is going to get worse. I love medicine, I love my pts but really feel tired and underappreciated.

August 26, 2017 at 11:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Adamantine

There are times when hospitals bill private patients substantially more than the negotiated rates through insurance. That should be stopped. It needs to be transparent and equitable, but that's another story. If my doctor takes care of me like this doctor did for his patient he deserves compensation, not to be stiffed. I don't want my surgeon, or gp or any specialist so worried about payment from me/insurance that he can't focus on my problem. He deserves lots of money in my opinion. What price would I put on reconstructing my face??? And what kind of insurance sends the money to the patient? In California money ALWAYS goes directly to the doctor, plus there are upfront co-pays for at least some of it. That alone is reason for the doctor not to accept that insurance.

August 26, 2017 at 15:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Anita david

I'm just tired of people being scammed because they need loans. I am Anita
    Davids, a single mother with two daughters and currently living in UK. Back
    in August 2015 i was in a difficult situation due to some unforeseen
    medical expenses as i have been fighting with my cancer problem, during the
    time i lost my job and i was stuck in a bad economy, until i was introduced
    to a Loan firm by name (Adoif.credit200@gmail.com
    At first i wasn't interested as i have vowed never again to apply for a
    loan online because i already lost my $57.000 to fraudsters pretending to
    be Loan Lenders, But after been heavily convinced by my friend Gomez, I
    finally decided to give it my last try, I applied and submitted all
    Information as required and to my greatest surprise i received my loan of
    $90.000.00 just 48 hours later. Believe me friends this is real and i want
    to use this medium to urge everyone interested in getting a fast and easy
    loan to kindly contact (Adoif.credit200@gmail.com
    They are very Good in helping and i know they will help you with your Loan
    transfer immediately. They are the only genuine loan lenders out there with
    100% Legitimacy guaranteed Adoif.credit200@gmail.com thanks.

August 29, 2017 at 21:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Taya Smith

Loan directly to your personal account

Do you want a loan offer without any payment of the approval fee? If yes,

please contact kiva_finance@outlook.com following details and go ahead.

Full name:
    Gender:
    Social status:
    Occupation:
    country:
    Contact Address:
    Monthly income:
    Loan Amount required:
    Loan Period:
    phone number:
    The reason for the loan:

August 30, 2017 at 02:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. adidas consortium

Samuelsen joined West Ham from Manchester City and he made his senior bow for the east London side in last seasons Europa League qualifiers.
    adidas consortium http://a.frcls.fr/chaussure-de-course-Adidas-Originals-Top-Ten-Hi-Homme-noir-Black-jaune-d-and-apos-or-Gold-Adidas-Consortium-AS5491.html

September 1, 2017 at 20:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. john

Doctors are some of the highest paid professionals in the country. So why are they complaining?
    Ecommerce Website design companies

September 11, 2017 at 03:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Favour Henry

Attention,
    Do you need Finance?
    Are you looking for Finance?
    Are you looking for a money to enlarge your business, personal loans, student loans, Christmas loans, mortgage loans, consolidation loans? We help individuals and companies to obtain loan for business
    expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get a loan at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this cash/loan for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via Email:(tomcrist846@gmail.com)

C.E.O/ Tom Crist.

September 14, 2017 at 13:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Wesley Dwayne

WHENEVER YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONES NEED A LOAN UPSTART LOAN IS THE BEST, TESTED AND TRUSTED. BEWARE OF RIPPERS ONLINE.( Email: upstartloan@yahoo.com or text/call +1(574) 301-1639 ).

Good day, Out of my busy schedule just feel like to quickly share this because i know am going to save thousand of lives with this. A lot of persons will agree with me that fake loan lenders is no longer a news to us it has been trending for some months now and i was also victimized when i tried seeking for a loan for the invention of a new patent and invest on stock. After so many failed attempt to get a loan there was one company who proved themself to be different among the rest, They are trust worthy, straight forward, honest and reliable. I won't say much because as the saying goes "experience is the best teacher", I will candid advice anyone who need a loan of any amount to kindly contact this one and only true lenders UPSTART LOAN on their email address: ( upstartloan@yahoo.com ) Or you can as well text/call them on ( +1(574) 301-1639 ) . I remain my humble self Wesley Kurt Dwayne, I reside at Park Ave Richmond VA 23220. Say no more to be victim of scam enough is enough for the wise, Don't trust until you verified contact UPSTART LOAN now and share your own awesome experience with them.

September 14, 2017 at 15:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. andrew kelvin

TRUSTEE ACCOUNT LIMITED is a British based financial consulting company with years of experience in the international and local finance market. Be it lease bank guarantee, Stand by letter of credit or any type of refinancing, talk to our team at Secure Finance Services, absolutely sure they will set your business on the right path with our sound financial advice.

Our bank instrument can be help you fund you projects in Trading, funding project(s) such as Aviation, Agriculture, Petroleum, Telecommunication, construction of Dams, Bridges, Real Estate and all kind of projects.Having years of professional, invaluable experience in the banking and finance industry, and having access to dozens of different prominent trusted and reliable providers, our Financial Services consultants will crawl through hundreds of products to find one that perfectly matches your needs.

Purchase Instrument of BG/SBLC : 32%+2% Min Face Value cut =5M- 10B EUR/USD

Lease Instrument of BG/SBLC : 4%+2% Min Face Value cut = 5M- 10B EUR/USD

Name:ANDREW KELVIN

Email:trusteeactlmt@gmail.com

Skype;trusteeactlmt

September 14, 2017 at 20:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. keteshafrank2@gmail.com

How i got my Desired Loan Amount from a Reliable Loan Company called Adolf Alex Loan company and you can email them on: ( Adolfloancompany@yahoo.com) or Text them on: (913) 274-9127

September 15, 2017 at 02:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Favour Henry

Attention,
    Do you need Finance?
    Are you looking for Finance?
    Are you looking for money to enlarge your business, personal loans, student loans, Christmas loans, mortgage loans, consolidation loans? We help individuals and companies to obtain loan for business

C.E.O/ Tom Crist.

September 16, 2017 at 04:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Wesley Dwayne

===================

September 16, 2017 at 15:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. lisa

Good Day,

Compliment of the day ,I am Mrs Lisa Michael ,You can't believe what i just got, A loan of $55,000. I have been looking for a loan for the past a year now until i was referred to a legitimate lender. Though it was not that easy to approve my loan, as you know nothing good comes easy. But I got my loan within a week,Before i knew it, the loan was transferred to me. please friends, don't let any body deceive you and scam you for this is real. Contact them at :michelle.silvafinance@yandex.com

September 19, 2017 at 18:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Own Thomas

I live in USA Duck town TN and i am a happy woman today? I told my self that any Loan lender that could change my Life and that of my family, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to Them. If you are in need of loan and you are 100% sure to pay back the loan please contact them and please tell them that Shelby Montgomery referred you to them. ( ownthomas14@gmail.com)Good Luck!!

September 23, 2017 at 22:50 | Report abuse | Reply