home
RSS
Seriously? Doctors say they're underpaid
May 1st, 2012

Seriously? Doctors say they're underpaid

Anthony Youn, M.D., is a plastic surgeon in metro Detroit. He is the author of “In Stitches,” a humorous memoir about growing up Asian American and becoming a doctor.

Full disclosure: I have no complaints about how much I make.

But many other physicians are not as satisfied - a recent study by Medscape revealed that 49% of doctors believe they're not fairly compensated. Of primary care physicians, this percentage increases to 54%.

It’s no myth that doctors are some of the highest paid professionals in the country. So why are they complaining?

It’s likely because of situations like Dr. Peterson’s.

Dr. Peterson is a plastic surgeon whom I worked with during my residency. A kind, competent physician, his new, fledgling practice consisted of reconstructive surgery. He treated women with breast cancer, paraplegics with pressure sores, and burn patients.

I was the on-call plastic surgery resident one night when a 42-year-old man - let’s call him Dave - was brought into the hospital at 3 a.m. He had fallen off a roof while intoxicated. Dave broke several bones in his face and shattered his lower leg.

I stumbled out of bed and met Dr. Peterson in the ER, where we spent the next three hours assessing Dave’s injuries and repairing his lacerations. Five days later Dr. Peterson and I performed an eight-hour operation, reconstructing his broken facial bones and performing a muscle transfer to help heal his fractured legs. For the next two months, we visited Dave in the hospital each and every day, changing his bandages and making sure he healed properly.

Not once did Dave thank Dr. Peterson for his care.

Instead, Dave took more than $3,000 from him.

Close scrutiny

Quite possibly no other occupation in the country receives such attention regarding the income its members receive. And that’s not a new trend - more than 70% of respondents of a survey published in the 1985 American Journal of Public Health believed doctors were overpaid.

The Medscape survey found the average physician compensation now ranges from a high of $315,000 for orthopedic surgeons to a low of $156,000 for pediatricians. Sounds pretty good right?

Consider that physicians must complete at least four years of college, four years of medical school, and between three to eight years of residency training prior to becoming a real, practicing doctor. Many physicians don’t start earning “doctor-level” salaries until they are well into their 30s.

A 2009 survey by U.S. News found the typical medical student graduated with $141,132 in debt. The graduates of some schools averaged more than $200,000 in loans.
So how do doctors’ salaries compare with other well-paying professions?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average computer and information system manager earns $125,660 per year. The average lawyer makes $130,490 per year. Orthodontists take home $204,670. The New York Times recently reported the average base pay for managing directors at Morgan Stanley is $400,000. At Goldman Sachs, it’s $600,000. The average salary of an NFL player is $1.9 million. NBA players average $5.15 million per year.

Just for putting a ball in a hoop.

When you consider these numbers, the thought of pediatricians making $156,000 a year doesn’t seem unreasonable. They often see 50 patients per day, answer our calls at all hours, and keep our kids healthy.

What about critical care physicians? They average $240,000 a year, but are responsible for keeping the sickest of us alive. One-quarter of critical care physicians spend more than 65 hours per week with their patients, not including time doing paperwork.

Unlike most other professions, there is a ceiling to what most doctors can earn. Physician compensation is tightly controlled by the government and insurance companies. Medicine is also the only profession where its members are required to sometimes work for free.

No return on investment

Which brings us back to Dave.

Three months later, I accompanied Dr. Peterson in his clinic to see Dave for a follow-up appointment. Dr. Peterson seemed a bit distracted. At the end of the visit I found out why.

“I’m glad you’re doing so well, Dave,” said Dr. Peterson.

“Yeah, I’m really happy with how things have turned out,” he replied.

“So Dave, this is a little awkward for me, but I need to ask you something. Two weeks ago your insurance company sent you a check for $3,200 to forward to me for all my surgical and office fees.”

“Yeah, so?”

“Well, um,” Dr. Peterson stuttered. “We never received it from you.”

“No, you didn’t. I cashed it and spent it.”

“Dave, why would you do that?”

“I figured you’re a rich doctor. I need the money more than you.”

What do you think? Are doctors being underpaid? Tell us in the comments below.

soundoff (2,285 Responses)
  1. Ben Davis

Hello, Are you in dire need of a loan? do you need an emergency loan? Dynamic Lending Club will help you get a quick cash loan to solve your financial problems

We offer all kinds of loans, Whether it's for Medical bills, School fees, payday advance or unexpected cash problems, Business Loan, Personal Loan, Cash Loan, Installment Loans & More With Ease, It’s fast, secure, reliable and
    No more waiting times or stressful bank visits. Our service is available 24/7 – you can get a loan and complete transactions whenever and wherever you need it

You Get The Chance To Select

– Your Repayment Date, which is 1-30 years

– Borrow up to 100 million Euro

– Receive cash in 24hrs

– No hidden charges.

For Enquires / Complaints / Questions? We Provide 24 Hours World Class Support – Send An Email To (dynamic_lendingclub5050@hotmail.com) & Receive A Response In Few Minutes.

Your Family, Friends & Colleagues Don't Need To Know You Are Low On Cash, Just Simply write to us and you will receive your loan.

Your financial freedom is in your hands!

CONTACT US

We’re always excited to hear from you! If you have any feedback, questions, or concerns, please e-mail us (dynamic_lendingclub5050@hotmail.com)

June 28, 2018 at 04:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Limes Asset Managers Ltd

Hello,

Are you looking for credible business funding? We are currently delivering secure funding to individuals who needs urgent loans to Start-ups,pay off debts, Growth stage businesses at the rate of 2% in all countries of the world.

Write to us soonest to get funding/loans.

Email: Limesassetmanagers@gmail.com
    Corporate website:www.limeassetltd.co.uk

John Pratt
    Director
    Limes Asset Managers.

June 29, 2018 at 17:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. prof claude capital

We give you loan with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 30 years to pay back the loan (secure and unsecured). Do not keep your financial problems to yourself in order for you not to be debt master or financial stress up, which is why you must contact us quickly for a solution to your financial problems. It will be a great joy to us when you are financially stable Email profclaudecapital@gmail.com

July 3, 2018 at 16:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Antonio Luca

Hello I am very happy to share my Happiness on this site.
    I received a Master Card just yesterday and it pays me $2500 (Two thousand five hundred USD)at a spot, I tried today again and thesame $2500 was paid out, This card will give me $2500 daily for 6 months. If you are in need of urgent money you can get this card as well , just contact claytonandy0816@gmail.com
    .....
    .....

Thanks

July 5, 2018 at 08:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. profclaudecapital@gmail.com

APPLY TODAY FOR QUICK AND CONVENIENT LOANS – WE OFFER ALL KIND OF LOANS at Email: profclaudecapital@gmail.com WhatsApp Number: +19292227023

Here comes an Affordable and Legit Loan that will change your life for ever, I am Prof.Claude Pentecost a certified loan lender, I offer loan to individual and public sector that are in need of financial Assistance in a low interest rate of 2%. Bad credit acceptable,The Terms and Conditions are very simple and considerate.You will never regret anything in this loan transaction because i will make you smile. Email us via (profclaudecapital@gmail.com) have you been looking for a quick and legit loan online why don't you try Capital Management Inc. loan company and be free from debts note getting a loan from this company is 100% assured and guaranteed. It will be a great joy to us when you are financially stable Email us via profclaudecapital@gmail.com

NOTE:Bear in mind that it will only take less than 24 Hours to process your file is 100% Guaranteed no matter your Credit Score. WhatsApp Number: +19292227023

Your victory is 100% guarantee

July 5, 2018 at 13:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Mrs. Valkyrie Mayer

Do you need a loan to finance your business, or are you a contractor that needs finance for your construction work, We also give personal or business loan. You can get all types of loan today from my company at 3% interest rate. For more details or for application contact us via email at: valkyriemayerloan001@gmail.com

FILL THE LOAN FORM FOR MORE DETAILS.

Borrower's Full Name:
    Purpose Of The Loan:

Best Regards,
    Mrs.Valkyrie Mayer
    Loan Officer/ CEO

July 11, 2018 at 05:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Raymond Dosion

We are project funder as well as financial lender,We have BG/SBLC, specifically for BUY/LEASE at a leasing price value Issuance by HSBC London and other 25 top AA rated Bank in Europe, Middle East or USA. We also secure funding.

Our BG/SBLC Financing can help you get your project funded, loan financing, please let me know if you are interested in any of our services, by providing you with yearly renewable leased bank instruments. We work directly with issuing bank lease providers, this Instrument can be monetized on your behalf for 100% funding.

FOR LEASING OF BG/SBLC
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M
    LEASING FEE = 4%+1%

FOR PURCHASE OF FRESH CUT BG/SBLC
    PRICE = 32%+1%
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M

Intermediaries/Consultants/Brokers are welcome to bring their clients and are 100% protected. In complete confidence, we will work together for the benefits of all parties involved.

Contact : Mr. Raymond Doison
    Contact Email: crusaderbroker.bgassurance@gmail.com
    skype:crusaderbroker.bgassurance@gmail.com

July 12, 2018 at 03:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. ramsey

Good day.i am Ramsey i want to testily what a loan lender Paul Steven has done for me,my son was sick and there was no credit with me i had no other choice than to get a loan on_line and Paul a loan lender gave me a loan of $20,000usd with out any stress you can contact he today on paulsteven441@gmail.com or Whatsapp on +393510747468

July 14, 2018 at 04:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Robert William

This is the happiest moment of my life having no longer to worry about paying bills as i have been settled for life. A lot has been said about atm hacking and blank card for cash withdrawal but it all seemed like a myth to me until i eventually lost my job few months back and the world seemed to be moving backwards. I went online in search of jobs and means to an end and there i found comments about CYBERTRON HACKERS and how they deliver this card in less than 7 days with no risk involved and a far much lesser price compared to what the card itself can give you, i then made contact and in exactly 6 days latter my card and a manual was delivered to my home address here in the US and that same evening i used the card was able to take out $2000 for a start its been just 3 weeks and my life has taken a new shape. I simply want to say thank you to this company and help spread their fame abroad. If you ever are in need of this card definitely contact robertwilliamhack118@gmail.com

July 14, 2018 at 21:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Robert William

July 14, 2018 at 21:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Zion

Do you need an urgent loan? If Yes, Whatsapp now: +16318566414 or email: zionloanfunds@live.com for more info. Thanks

July 15, 2018 at 19:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Gary Snyder

Contact: Gary Snyder
    Skype ID: readysteadyfinancesltd
    Email: readysteadyfinancesltd@gmail.com
    Tele: +447031912976

We offer certified and verifiable bank instruments through Swift Transmissions from original providers

capable of taking over time-bound transactions.

PARTICULAR INSTRUMENTS BANK

Instrument: Fully Cash / Bank Guarantee (Standard ICC format)
    Age: Fresh Cut
    Interest Rate: ZeroCoupon
    Duration: One (1) year and One (1) day
    Currency: USD / Euro
    Menu Bank: WEB Top
    Amount: As Suggested by Beneficiaries
    Initial Deposit: Applies to Instrument Value Required
    Invoice Price: Four (4%) Percent of Face Value minus Paid Initial Payment
    Intermediate Fee: One Percent (1%) of the Face Value is paid by the Beneficiary
    Tranche: As per the agreed tranche schedule
    Shipping: Swift MT799 / MT760
    Payment: Swift MT103 (Wire Transfer)

July 17, 2018 at 03:28 | Report abuse | Reply