home
RSS
G-spot found! Now, maybe we should lose it
April 25th, 2012

G-spot found! Now, maybe we should lose it

Ian Kerner, a sexuality counselor and New York Times best-selling author, blogs about sex weekly on The Chart. Read more from him on his website, GoodInBed.

The search for the G-spot is a bit like the sexual equivalent of searching for UFOs: rarely does a year goes by without a new study either confirming or disproving the existence of this small area just inside the vagina, which - to varying degrees - is a source of sexual pleasure for women.

It’s not so much the pleasure-potential of the area that is in doubt, but rather whether the G-spot is an independent anatomic entity, or conversely, a part of the surrounding structure.

“The G-spot has been so difficult to identify because it is more of a physiological change - akin to swallowing or urinating - than an anatomic structure such as a nipple,” said Dr. Irwin Goldstein, editor-in-chief of The Journal of Sexual Medicine, after a study was published in his journal in 2010.

Sex therapist Madeleine Castellanos says we should think of the G-spot, “as a chocolate-covered strawberry. The thin chocolate layer on the surface is like the smooth area of the vagina that often gets called the G-spot, but it's actually the strawberry underneath that has the substance - in this case the erectile tissue that fills with blood when a woman gets aroused and then makes the G-spot more prominent and noticeable.”

Yet a new study published this week in The Journal of Sexual Medicine contends that the G-spot is indeed an independent anatomic structure. As the basis of his study, Dr. Adam Ostrzenski of the Institute of Gynecology in St. Petersburg, Florida, conducted a “stratum-by-stratum anterior vaginal wall dissection" on an 83-year-old cadaver.

But can a definitive conclusion really be proffered on the basis on a single cadaver?

Debby Herbenick, a research scientist at Indiana University and author of “Sex Made Easy," doesn’t think so.

“Just because an anatomical entity was found in a cadaver doesn’t mean that it’s the G-spot. We don’t know much about this part that was identified or whether she ever experienced pleasure during stimulation of this part of her vagina.”

And according to Emily Nagoski, author of the “Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms," “Women's genitals vary from each other - in shape, size, and functioning. This variability is what has made it so challenging to prove conclusively the existence of the G-spot. G-spots vary from woman to woman, and they change in unpredictable ways across a woman's lifespan.”

Dr. Ostrzenski says his new study “may lead to a better understanding and improvement of female sexual function.” But he is also a driving force in the field of cosmetic gynecology, which, according to his website, “transforms female external genitalia appearance to look younger and more natural.”

Many sexuality professionals consider the field controversial.

Along with vaginal rejuvenation and labiaplasty, g-spotplasty is also one of the many procedures offered by Dr. Ostrzenski. In the case of G-spot procedures, the goal is not cosmetic, but rather to enable women to experience the broader pleasures of G-spot stimulation that some may feel they're missing out on.

(Ostrzenski is not the only cosmetic surgeon to offer G-spot enhancement procedures: Dr. David Matlock developed the “G-shot," an injection which temporarily enlarges the area of the G-spot and purportedly enhances pleasure during sexual activity.)

But Herbenick says many of these procedures have little scientifically published research behind them. “Little is known about their risks, benefits or complications.”

And what about the fact that so many women inconsistently orgasm from vaginal penetration alone and generally require clitoral stimulation in order to orgasm?

“I have this deep dread that women's magazines will decide that now women have no excuse for not having vaginal orgasms, when we know that only about a quarter to a third of women are reliably orgasmic from vaginal penetration alone,” says Nagoski.

So now that we’ve found the G-spot, perhaps we should lose it again. Or at least enjoy it, without worrying about what it is or is not.

Post by:
Filed under: Sex

1. doc

Ouch! Was the cadaver 83 year old, or was the person 83 when they died and the cadaver relatively fresh. I gotta know...

April 25, 2012 at 07:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rose

ROFLMAO. Obviously, neither the writer, nor the editor, bothered to proofread.

April 25, 2012 at 08:02 | Report abuse |
    • FiveLiters

...either way,it doesn't sound very sexy.

April 25, 2012 at 10:57 | Report abuse |
    • Like a BOSS

1929 was a swinging year baby!

April 25, 2012 at 17:29 | Report abuse |
    • duh

Ya know, they probably made the assumption (admittedly ill-advised, I grant you) that you could figure it out for yourself.

April 25, 2012 at 18:18 | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Dangling participle is the phrase you're looking for.

April 26, 2012 at 18:03 | Report abuse |
    • G-Girl

It's true women's bodies are definitely different.
      They also have a mouth to say what they want and to order/command what the other person should be doing and what should it be done.
      In the end to ultimately achieve real good sex, talking would be the answer... Knowing things, where to lick, how fast or slow the penetration is helps.
      The g-spot may remain a mystery to all but a woman will know where the good spot is.

May 17, 2012 at 19:20 | Report abuse |
  2. parkcitybrian

hmmm...in my experience (not to brag, but...extensive) the only g-spot i have found is between my partners........ears.

April 25, 2012 at 07:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • that

lame

April 25, 2012 at 10:24 | Report abuse |
    • j0eschm0e

lol thats the other g spot

April 25, 2012 at 11:08 | Report abuse |
    • Joe

I second the "lame" nomination.

April 26, 2012 at 18:04 | Report abuse |
    • Seen it all

In my experience, you may be a re-tard...

May 17, 2012 at 11:21 | Report abuse |
  3. chrystalsafari

only Maestro can identify and make the stradivarius sing... and yes, men, the stradivarius exists

April 25, 2012 at 08:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • KC

Oh, yes, it sure does. Siiiiiiiiiigh!

April 25, 2012 at 09:32 | Report abuse |
  4. parkcitybrian

me thinks that this dr has come up with this "theory" and is promoting it is cuz he has a practice that specializes in “cosmetic gynecology”. what next doc...g-spot transplant? i guess this gives another thought for those who decide to be an organ donor...maybe there should be a box to check on your drivers license if you wish to be a "orgasm donor"?

April 25, 2012 at 08:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Liz in Seattle

LOL– you are on a roll, parkcitybrian.

April 25, 2012 at 14:56 | Report abuse |
    • ThatDude

You have a good point parkcitybrian. It seems like forever doctors would always discuss if the g-spot exist or not. Now he found it and know how to increase intenisity. All I know is that, without asking my wife tells me that I'm hitting the g-spot because she doesn't want me to stop hitting it. If the g-spot is getting hit right she will continue tell you to not stop.

April 27, 2012 at 10:29 | Report abuse |
  5. areacode612

I love it when women look me in the eye's with passion and ask, "what did you just do?"

April 25, 2012 at 08:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joy

I do that all the time...during a pleasure session ;)

April 25, 2012 at 10:43 | Report abuse |
    • FiveLiters

What did you answer-the dishes? The laundry? The lawn? I gotta know! lol

April 25, 2012 at 10:59 | Report abuse |
    • Imperious Leader

Or "I don't know what you just did, but...DO IT AGAIN!" Unfortunately, sometimes WE don't know what we just did either :))

April 25, 2012 at 15:23 | Report abuse |
  6. B. Russell

Smiling..... Looks like I need to do more research!!

April 25, 2012 at 09:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • bob

I say you and I are looking for the hit on the G spot.to pleae your woman. Or any women if that be the case. I want the same. I ask weather it be oral or by penitration or masturbation. Clean sex.. Lovely women what can I do to make you enjoy your sex as much as B. Russell and I enjoy our's? My wife of 30 yrs. It's fun searching for the spot, but I want her to tell me ooooo yes right there. I think some women just want to please guys for some reason but like you and I, we want to please the women for the reason that they deserve. Thier lovelyness. It's only fair and it is a big turn on for us. I'd say open up ladies and tell us what feels good. Tell us what you want. It's not perversion it's a fact of life. It's a needed release of frustration and desires, that needs to be taken care of. Come on ladies you deserve what you like in sex...You women think you do need or want it but some men would really like to do that for you. Maybe a massage or masturbation for you laidies. Stay safe with whom you pick. No STD. I really believe with your openness you could stop anger and wars. Long live the open minded women... Bob

May 3, 2012 at 23:57 | Report abuse |
  7. average dude

Stay on the scene, like a sex machine!

April 25, 2012 at 09:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Bob

It is only because of our ridiculous prudish American culture that there is any question about this. I took medical school anatomy and readily found the answer – it's not that difficult. I will give you a clue, however: The male and female nervous system are not much different. Male and female brains have the same parts and those parts pretty much work the same way. There are many parallels in male and female gentilia. Find those parallels and you have your answer. Bottom line: The neurological sensations between males and females are very similar. So, males, if a female is not feeling what you do then you are doing something wrong and you should blame your church for you not knowing.

April 25, 2012 at 09:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • that

ok bob lol

we all knew that

April 25, 2012 at 10:26 | Report abuse |
    • Layla

You can blame YOUR Church all you want. *Mine* thankfully isn't like that. God created sex and meant for it to be pleasurable. It was no accident! He also created marriage. One man, one woman, committed to each other and that's when/where the pleasurable sex is to take place.

April 26, 2012 at 08:41 | Report abuse |
    • Jorge

WOW, Layla, it sounds like you're just a ton of fun...NOT.

April 26, 2012 at 10:46 | Report abuse |
    • Josie

Maybe you should teach classes, Bob. During half-time, of course.

April 26, 2012 at 15:21 | Report abuse |
    • Amused

Layla – Actually, it was people who created marriage, NOT God!

April 26, 2012 at 15:42 | Report abuse |
  9. Victor

I'm not sure what's going on with the picture for this story. We have a guy reading the paper in bed while a woman – presumably his wife – looks at the computer. How is this related to the discovery of the g-spot? I'm not seeing the connection can anybody help me? Only humorous answers please.

April 25, 2012 at 09:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob

I'm doing a naked video chat with her while he's obsessing about the Packers.

April 25, 2012 at 09:58 | Report abuse |
    • FiveLiters

He's looking for it in the classifieds section,and she's looking for it on Google? lol

April 25, 2012 at 11:01 | Report abuse |
    • j0eschm0e

shes looking it up for him to get it right. she finds it, and says hey dear, here it is. he's saying yes dear thats nice.

April 25, 2012 at 11:12 | Report abuse |
    • 83yearoldCadaver

Her "Gspot" is G+ by Google, and his is section G – i.e. the sports section?

April 25, 2012 at 22:57 | Report abuse |
    • Seen it all

She's responding to her Latin Lover who has the Hammer of Thor, while he's wondering how is fantsy baseball team is doing this week.....

May 17, 2012 at 11:26 | Report abuse |
  10. John

All women are not the same just as all men are not the same.
    Some people are more sensetive than others in different areas there is no one answer. If you have a very sensitive female companion be willing to learn..If not your loss..
    Nuff Said

April 25, 2012 at 10:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. banjo20

I think if at first yoy don't succed, try,try,try,tyr again :)

April 25, 2012 at 10:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Poodles

But you should always proofread so you don't look like a dunce.

April 25, 2012 at 14:26 | Report abuse |
    • Josie

If you can't figure it out, I'd rather do it myself.

April 26, 2012 at 15:25 | Report abuse |
  12. Joe

The comments on this thread are a total sausage party. Only guys... get the picture?

April 25, 2012 at 10:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Victor

Dude...of course it's only guys on this...the fact is that there are only a certain percentage of women who are s#xual just for the heck of it...or who have nearly the drive of dudes. It's just the facts. If not, why do most women after the age of thirties throw in the towel, wear Chicos and start showing no interest in anything sexual. If I had a son I would teach him to find a woman who has an unquenchable sex drive and hang on tight. If a woman doesn't make sex a priority in life...you are finshed. As to the G-spot thing...it's just something dudes talk about...most women don't care one way or another. You can call this cynical but it's true. Luckily I found one that can't get enough.

April 25, 2012 at 13:45 | Report abuse |
    • Liz in Seattle

Hoo boy– if you think we don't care you are so wrong. At least many of us. A woman can't tell her man where to find it if she doesn't know herself after all, so we gotta read this stuff too. Women don't blame your partner if you haven't done the necessary exploration on yourself! And yes it is true that some women have very healthy sex drives. Our culture tries to beat it out of us but ladies– we have to fight that crap! When we get complacent about sex the ones we hurt most are ourselves. Sex is awesome!!

April 25, 2012 at 15:06 | Report abuse |
    • peridot2

Not.

April 25, 2012 at 21:16 | Report abuse |
    • B-Randi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wl_uQOABxg Too many d icks on the dance floor! ~Flight of the Concords

April 26, 2012 at 10:33 | Report abuse |
    • lulu

You may only think you got a sexpot. I have friends who were totally into sex till they got married, then it was game over.

April 26, 2012 at 19:42 | Report abuse |
  13. lord vader

There is a solution to this....... If women would put their legs up more often, men would put the remote down and pay more attention to their wives needs.

April 25, 2012 at 11:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Terrils

And one could argue that if men were better at sex, women would be more inclined to "put their legs up," to use your terribly romantic (not) phraseology.

Just sayin'. Not that the "did the dishes" response above is far off base either.

April 25, 2012 at 17:23 | Report abuse |
    • peridot2

Here's a hint: try kissing her. It's a much better beginning to seduction than 'put your legs up.' No wonder she isn't interested in you.

April 25, 2012 at 21:20 | Report abuse |
    • Sunshine

That is such a cliched response. Women's sex drive go up as they age not down. Men's sex drive take a nosedive. It's true in my home and in many of my friends' s home. Been married 18 yrs, I'm still a size 4, my husband has gained 30lbs. I try, I buy sexy things, suggest going to inspiration pt and doing it, I've even taken him to a motel in the middle of the week. His libido is almost non-existent. I know some of my friends have the same problem. My husband is a gamer and loves tech stuff more than sex.

April 26, 2012 at 16:57 | Report abuse |
  14. mike

What ? I've spent years trying to find that spot. And now that I think I'm really getting close, you want me to let it go ? No way !!

April 25, 2012 at 12:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. PluSh

Nothing like taking a woman to a place she has never been before. Yes baby, we can go back.

April 25, 2012 at 12:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. mlblogscbgoldsmith

Yes dear you can earn as we earn, control your life as we do and even enjoy sex as we do . Now shush-up, and go make me a sandwich. My gosh my fellow men lead lives and write columns un-examined.

April 25, 2012 at 13:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. I HAVE A G SPOT!!

It blows my mind that people continue to waste research money on something so palpable. I have a G-spot. I can palpitate it and there is a sensational difference. I have experienced this spot on other women, and I can appreciate penetrative sex because of the G-spot. It is not identical in all women, and just as labia size varies, so does the size and sensitivity of the g-spot vary. It feels like a tiny brain, if one had to describe it texturally. If you haven't found this on yourself or your partner, it is a big loss. Quit wasting time and money researching something men are too daft to put the effort into exploring!

April 25, 2012 at 13:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Like a BOSS

Umm.. Please elaborate a little more about the other women. thanks!

April 25, 2012 at 17:32 | Report abuse |
    • ThatDude

Research on sex will never end because too many people are still curious about sex. Many people would like to make sex better but they don't know how. Sex has been here since the beginning of time. People need to listen to there mate when having sex and also pay attention to the erotic movies, take some pointers. I believe everyone to intensify there sensations of sex they are a little lost. You have to remember some women don't want there man to explore they already expect them to know everything there is about sex.

April 27, 2012 at 13:06 | Report abuse |
    • JT

FWIW, texturally, you are right on the money (pun intended). I was thought it was weird that a certain area felt differently – but she really enjoyed it so I figured I had just found the right spot.

April 27, 2012 at 14:41 | Report abuse |
  18. Hugh G. Rection

Not sure why this is news – I found this years ago. It's called a 'wallet'.

April 25, 2012 at 13:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • BJQueen

LOL...I'm a female but that made me almost spit out my sweet tea. Well played Hugh, well played.

April 25, 2012 at 16:41 | Report abuse |
    • DebbieDoes

And not just any size wallet because size does matter – the bigger the better!

April 25, 2012 at 21:55 | Report abuse |
    • Mr

Best post of the week

April 26, 2012 at 02:16 | Report abuse |
    • Sri

– grey and dripping isn't fun ... not even for the dogs! @SC – yes, it's been quiet, too quiet. So sorry about your cold – it can rellay drag you down :( @Rosie – ditto here. Made it through autumn, winter and then spring comes along and whammo – sinus infection. It's just about gone except for that nagging drip that makes me cough at the most inopportune times!

October 11, 2012 at 17:51 | Report abuse |
  19. dotheflippinmath

I've found it in my wife and a few (earlier) girlfriends. It's usually located about 2-3" in, towards the bladder. You can tell it's different, because the tissue becomes tighter, and you can feel semi-hard wrinkles as you rub it (not too hard, not to soft). If you're feeling that, she's getting close...

April 25, 2012 at 14:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • AGuest9

Sadly not all women have it. I have had girlfriends where it was very spongy and large. My ex, very thin and it never did anything for her, nor "got spongy". She would tell me to quit "playing around" and focus with her cl.itoris. I've had girlfriends where I could no wrong. It IS a very individual thing, and some women "don't have it". Come on, CNN, cl.itoris is a proper medical term!

April 26, 2012 at 02:37 | Report abuse |
  20. jan wheeler

Use it or lose it, I say!

April 25, 2012 at 15:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Oh how lovely

See, I know I have one it's just elusive! I think perhaps some anatomy classes would do me good. I've had plenty of great sex, but G spot stimulation is a whole other story. I think maybe it's a mixture of the right place and the right frame of mind. All I know is that if I could i'd make my husband give it up on a daily. But i'm way way more into sex than he is. The stereotype that men are way more into sex than women is not always accurate. It's on my mind more often than not. My husband's not so much.

April 25, 2012 at 16:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Pitdownman

Don't women play with themselves enough. They should be able to point that right out.

April 25, 2012 at 16:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Sharp

Women are difficult. I wish I could compare notes with a solid dog, tom cat or stallion. I suspect they have it much easier. The only reliable course is to tune in exactly to the lady in question & ferret out the pleasure from her despite her doing everything she can to prevent you. If she is lonely it becomes slightly easier.

April 25, 2012 at 20:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. crystal ball

my hybred crystall ball sees all! U R NASTY

April 25, 2012 at 21:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Mr

Ridiculous. How does bs like this become news? Depressing.

April 26, 2012 at 02:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Damiana879

I bet you if it was about finding a G-Spot on a man, you wouldn't be so quick to complain....then again, they DID find the G-Spot on a man...it's called "Being touched by a woman (or another man if you go that way).." that seems to work just fine. But let's forget that women are a little different than that, and need a little more warming up the engine before diving right in..which is something a lot of you guys do....

April 26, 2012 at 13:40 | Report abuse |
  26. Beefburger

"Don't go straight for the cl!toris boy! How about starting of with a kiss!" Gotta love Monty Python.

April 26, 2012 at 03:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. married 20 years

what's an orgasm?

April 26, 2012 at 10:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. tatatoothy

All is know is whatever you want to call it, whenever I stimulate the one connected to my wife, things happen to her that don't happen any other way.

April 26, 2012 at 12:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Harvey Fenwick Lung

OMG! I feel left out of this field of research... too geeky I guess.

April 26, 2012 at 12:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Damiana879

I was WAY left out of this research, darn it!!! This is research I'll gladly take part in! LOL!! :D

In all seriousness, I do agree that women are different.

April 26, 2012 at 13:37 | Report abuse |
  30. JustaGuy

All I can say is when you hit the "spot" she"ll let you know in a very unassuming way! As far as the picture goes, well you know where the man's left hand is don't you?

April 26, 2012 at 13:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Mellow Fella

The G spot is for right handed men to find. A lefty always leans to far to the right–missing the whole point!

April 26, 2012 at 13:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Lydia Century

Minors don't have G-spot. Sexmaniac be aware.

April 26, 2012 at 14:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. davetharave

I like how the male doctor said 'We found it' and the female doctor says 'Wait a minute, maybe you didn't'. I know who I would believe .....

April 26, 2012 at 15:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Ernest Hemingway

I know wimmens, and wimmens is difficult.

April 26, 2012 at 20:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. BigO

Our bodies are not all the same. Being a female and curious, it took me years to find out how to have female ejaculations.
    Yes, they are real and fantastic. Every time it happens, I have multiple orgasms...so I am sure the answer lies in relaxing and allowing our sensuality to take center stage.... maybe some erotica.
    As I said it took years before I learned to accept that there was more to explore and experience. And believe me, it was worth the wait.

April 28, 2012 at 00:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Jim456

What you are smoking, dude?

May 17, 2012 at 12:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. tatatoothy

You've properly stimulated the G-spot when the result of your efforts requires either a.) you both sleep on towels that night, or b.) you have to replace the sheets.

Once you've made a girl squirt, there is nothing else like it.

June 4, 2012 at 13:20 | Report abuse | Reply