home
RSS
Sextuplets born to Houston mom
Most sextuplets, like this baby born in 2005 in Monterrey, Mexico, are born premature and weigh less than 3 pounds.
April 24th, 2012

Sextuplets born to Houston mom

A Houston woman is the new mom of three girls and three boys on Monday, according to Texas Children’s Hospital.

Lauren Perkins was 30 weeks pregnant when she gave birth to sextuplets at 10:26 a.m. by C-section. The smallest of the six babies weighed 1 pound, 10 ounces at birth while the biggest was 2 pounds, 15 ounces.

Mom and her babies - the family has not released their names - are in stable condition, according to the family’s website.

On the website, Perkins and her husband, David, said they had tried for 18 months to get pregnant without success, and doctors weren't sure why they were having trouble. So the couple tried intra-uterine insemination and found out two weeks later that Lauren was pregnant.  When she underwent an ultrasound examination it was apparent sextuplets were on the way.

A hospital spokeswoman said Tuesday that they didn’t have any updates on the family’s condition - although they're expected to hold a news conference in a few days.

The birth of five babies or more is extremely rare in the United States.

According to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report on 2009 births, (PDF) there were 80 cases that year, 95% of which were born before 32 weeks.

The report says the trend has been for fewer “triplet/+” births since the figure peaked in 1998 at 193 per 100,000 births. There were about 4.13 million births in 2009.

Heather Carroll, an Alabama woman gave birth to sextuplets - five girls and one boy - last Father’s Day.

Those births closely followed the births of three girls and three boys to a Pennsylvania couple, Stacey and Brendan Carey.

Post by:
Filed under: Children's Health • Fertility • Parenting

1. Chgo T

I hate to sound so ugly, but really....do we really need SIX babies from one family?? When after only eighteen months – yes ONLY in my book – no pregnancy – why not look at adoption as an alternative? I just don't get it. There are SO SO SO many kids that need a loving home & people like this force pregancy upon themselves & continue to over populate the planet. Sorry, but I just think this is selfish!

April 24, 2012 at 15:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SammyJ

You must have adopted several children I am assuming then- or are you single and alone and just jealous of this couple? I dont understand how you can say such rude things – you know nothing about these people or their situation

April 24, 2012 at 16:21 | Report abuse |
    • Erika

I agree with you completely. First, 18 months isn't that long. Second, the earth is overpopulated already. Third, ADOPTION. Fourth, if you do wish to choose IVF or fertility treatments of some sort, why not start out with fewer eggs???

April 24, 2012 at 16:28 | Report abuse |
    • Someone who knows

RBTexas – You are wrong. Aborting some of the fetuses is called a reduction, and don't politicize it. It has nothing to do with Democrats or women's rights. It's about the babies and the best chance of survival. If the doctors of this mom were responsible, they were most likely telling her that chances of survival of 6 are slim. At between 1 and 2 pounds, several of these babies will probably have strokes. Some may become disabled. Injecting politics into a situation like this only makes it worse for the babies.

April 24, 2012 at 16:32 | Report abuse |
    • laugh@that

I think you are selfish. I feel sorry for any children you brought into the world or adopted. If you haven't done either then please don't.

April 24, 2012 at 16:37 | Report abuse |
    • DMC

We? Last I checked "we" weren't having babies. We are a society, but let's not get all Borg.

April 24, 2012 at 16:39 | Report abuse |
    • goingcrazy

Before you continue on with your rant about adoption - until you are in someone else's shoes, DO NOT JUDGE!!! Adoption costs far more than most people can afford. IVF costs a fraction of adoption. IUI (whihc is what these parents did) costs a few hundred dollars. UNless you are out there adopting babies then you have right to say anything whatsoever. Enough with the "just adopt." it is not that easy. It takes years, many moments of heartbreak, and a lot of money! Why are people suffering from infertility considered a villian if they do not adopt. Goodness!!

April 24, 2012 at 16:56 | Report abuse |
    • Nora

You should go an adopt a baby and stop judging others.

April 24, 2012 at 17:09 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Congratulations to this family! For all of you who believe the earth is over-populated, you forget that we have a lot of people who are having very few children if any. I'm sure the population will self-correct when the older people are gone. We have longer life expectancy now which accounts for the "high" population. I wonder if we will have a low population for a while because of people having fewer children and abortions.

April 24, 2012 at 17:22 | Report abuse |
    • Alexx

Chris, you obviously have done 0 research on world population. I have done lots starting in high school and more in college. I did my part by adopting 2 children and passing on having any biological ones.

April 24, 2012 at 17:37 | Report abuse |
    • Rick

What's with the WE...are you going to help them raise them...If not mind your own business! It was THEIR choice NOT yours! Congrats to the happy parents

April 24, 2012 at 17:39 | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

RBTexas, that is possible and it has been figured out by doctors.

April 24, 2012 at 17:40 | Report abuse |
    • lilgtogirl

Sammy the only rude people are disgusting people like these who have too many children. The world does not need 6 kids from anymore losers. The woman was right, they could have adopted. Their selfish need to have their own child caused them to have 6. And to the moron from Texas, you absolutely can abort some of those cells. They could have done that within 2 months of the pregnancy. It was their selfishness that put 6 in there. The fact that they could not afford the procedure many times, forcing them to use so many embryos, is a sign that they won't be able to afford these kids. People like this make me sick.

April 24, 2012 at 18:00 | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

I have to say – people talk about adoption like it involves walking down the street to the local orphanage and getting a healthy infant. It's so much harder than that – perhaps harder (and even more expensive) than fertility treatments. There are few infants available for adoption in the US. I know two families who have tried to adopt internationally and it has taken years and years and loads of time and even more money. And this is to adopt older children, not babies. It's a natural desire for a couple to want to experience pregnancy, and there are certainly issues with adopting older children. That is not to say that it can't be done and it isn't a wonderful thing. It *is*...but I don't think it's fair or right to tell a couple experiencing infertility to "just adopt." It isn't that easy or simple to let go of the dream of your own biological infant, and it isn't easy to adopt.

April 24, 2012 at 18:45 | Report abuse |
    • Laureth

One couple I know that tried to adopt was rejected because they hadn't exhausted all avenues of trying to have a child of their own. Adoption is not as easy as everyone thinks. And what the heck is so wrong with trying to have a child of your own? Okay, so this couple got more than they initially bargained for, but some of these people commenting need to get over themselves already.

April 25, 2012 at 07:11 | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

Well I think you are in uninformed idiot Chgo T. You have no idea what you are talking about.

April 25, 2012 at 20:07 | Report abuse |
  2. Chgo T

And by the way – did it ever occur to those forcing pregnancy upon themselves by a doctor is messing with Mother Nature's way? Did it occur to them that Mother Nature is telling them to BACK OFF WITH THE OVER CONSUMPTION OF OUR PLANET?

April 24, 2012 at 15:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susan

not getting pregnant could also be Mother Nature's way of saying that particular gene pool should continue

April 24, 2012 at 15:50 | Report abuse |
    • laugh@that

Yes don't fool with mother nature. If you have Cancer don't do anything about it, that's mother nature killing you. Don't have surgeries for anything, don't take pain medication. In fact all medical procedures are "fooling with mother nature." Get over yourselves. It's a medical procedure that a couple chose to have so they could have a family. You people are so jealous and ridiculous its funny. Anyone hating on this couple without knowing their situation should take themselves out of the gene pool and do us all a favor.

April 24, 2012 at 16:10 | Report abuse |
  3. Pest

Disgusting.

April 24, 2012 at 15:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Jack 63

Aww her own little brady bunch

April 24, 2012 at 16:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. ruserial

yeah...let's deplete the Earth's resources as fast as we can.

April 24, 2012 at 16:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. ArtGirl

Quote from the the Perkins' Web site: "After a year and a half of trying to get pregnant and many doctor appointments, we still had no definite answer of what was wrong with Lauren." Why is it automatically considered a problem with the woman when a couple faces infertility issues?

April 24, 2012 at 16:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Elle

To all the quick to judge people – you know nothing about this situation and you are NOT paying for these babies in anyway. These are intelligent college graduates (with good jobs) who have made an educated decision knowing the tough road ahead to keep all 6 babies. Do any of these hateful commenters even stop to think that they are talking about a real family.

Seems to me like you should keep your hateful thoughts to yourself. Most of you have no idea what you would do in this situation. Best of luck to these new parents and their new family. I wish nothing but the best for all of them.

April 24, 2012 at 16:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sophie

Oh we will be soon! guaranteed. No "good job" can afford to take care of 6 babies.

April 24, 2012 at 16:33 | Report abuse |
    • fairplay

The "tough road" ahead will be for the babies.

April 24, 2012 at 16:39 | Report abuse |
    • Alexx

so Elle... If I'm worth millions I could parent 100 kids and not feel guilty of jacking up the population. Especially 1/2 dozen at a time greatly endangering mother and kids...?

April 24, 2012 at 16:49 | Report abuse |
    • Nora

Well Alex and Sophie, it turns out that nobody can tell you not to have as many babies as you want. At least in a free world. So why don't you get on with your lives?

April 24, 2012 at 17:15 | Report abuse |
    • Alexx

You'er right Nora, unfortunately in America there is no law against being ignorant. Unfortunately...

April 24, 2012 at 17:24 | Report abuse |
    • James

Being ignorant... Like judging a couple you know nothing about?

April 24, 2012 at 17:30 | Report abuse |
    • Alexx

James, I'm not judging just stating facts and giving my opinion. Also, I'm not directing my comments to just this couple, but to the general thoughtless society we live in.

April 24, 2012 at 18:49 | Report abuse |
  8. HoustonGirl

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! 6 babies is incredible. Best of luck to the new family!!!!

April 24, 2012 at 16:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Angela

I wish Lauren and David the best with the six blessings that have come into their lives. These are amazing people, who have parents who are also wonderful, loving and giving. Sending them positive energy and Love is a good thing for any of us to do.

April 24, 2012 at 17:25 | Report abuse |
  9. Susan

I'm thrilled for them all and praying each and every baby will be healthy!

April 24, 2012 at 16:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Cathy

Clearly you are the selfish one – who leaves a comment like this on an article about someone having babies. You are clearly not a parent and hopefully you never will be.

April 24, 2012 at 16:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Cathy

Why are you so quick to assume that the parents aren't paying?? They are by the way if you look through here. College graduates making educated decisions who can support the babies.

April 24, 2012 at 16:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. nuketim

Too many babies at one time. It is time to put these fertility doctors outta business.

April 24, 2012 at 16:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brooke

So people don't deserve a chance to have biological children? Get a clue. This is an incredibly extreme case. The vast majority of doctors wouldn't have allowed this to happen. Not to mention, many couples have to go through multiple cycles before finding success. Oh, by the way, YOU don't get to have biological kids. How does that feel?

April 25, 2012 at 16:26 | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

Are you kidding me??? What an ignorant comment. I never wish that you have to undergo fertility treatment just to have children that are biologically yours.

This week (April 23-28) is National Infertility Awereness Week... you are the reason that such a week has to exist. I rec. you educate yourself at Resolve.org before making anymore statements.

April 25, 2012 at 16:51 | Report abuse |
  13. Sophie

I'm so disgusted with all these multiple births being glamourized. there is nothing "miraculous" about it. A miracle would be if it NATURALLY happened. I cannot believe a "doctor" would allow 6 eggs while doing an IUI. Can't wait for their website to turn into a donations site to help support this litter of kids.

April 24, 2012 at 16:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • fairplay

AMEN!

April 24, 2012 at 16:36 | Report abuse |
    • Love kids

FYI IUI (inter uterine insemination) is not the same as inviitro (implanting eggs). They used the dads sperm, and basically like a turkey baster put it right into the cervix, the mom released the eggs that resulted in 6 babies. The doctors did not iput 6 eggs in her and would have had no idea that she was releasing eggs to cause a higher order multiple pregnancy or they would not have inseminated her. So please understand the facts, get over yourself, and pray for these people like good people.

April 24, 2012 at 18:35 | Report abuse |
    • CharInChar

Love Kids – just one thing wrong with your comment. During IUI (of which I had 3) the doctor absolutely DOES realize how many eggs are possibly viable. After the injectibles and the stimulation of the ovaries, a couple of ultrasounds are done to indentify how mature the follicles are and how many of them exist. The Dr. could very well have stated that it was too risky for multiples, made them wait another cycle and used less meds to induce less stimulation.

April 25, 2012 at 08:34 | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

Natural. Are you kidding me. I don't have children yet because I haven't started my IVF cycle yet, but when I do finally have kids, I will be sure to tell them just how unnatural they are. Get a grip!

April 25, 2012 at 16:40 | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

To respond to your "a miracle would be if it naturally happened"

You are wrong. Any conception is a miracle. What if you were told you were infertile or your husband has poor sperm quality- the only way of *possibly* conceiving would be through ART (artificial reproductive technology)? IF you were to get pregnant, that too would be a miracle!

April 25, 2012 at 16:55 | Report abuse |
  14. fairplay

I would rather have one healthy baby than six that will have issues possibly the rest of their lives. I think these drugs should only be done in extreme cases.....18 months to get pregnant doesn't warrant doing this.......sometimes the body just isn't ready and there may be a good reason......it took us three years to have our first and now we have two healthy kids. I wouldn't have done anything different.

April 24, 2012 at 16:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rachel

Glad to know my body just isn't ready yet. so glad you could sit here & tell me that.

April 25, 2012 at 16:42 | Report abuse |
  15. lutherangal

The issue here is with the doctor, and he should lose his license. A woman does not produce 6 viable eggs without fertility drugs. Before inseminating the woman, the doc should have ordered an ultrasound and counted the number of follicles. If there were more than 3, he should have cancelled the procedure, readjusted her medication and tried again the next month. Woman are able to acquire these powerful drugs illegally, so the possibility exists that the doc did not know she was even taking them. This problem with litters of babies seems to be concentrated in the US. These stories are rarely heard of in other industrialized countries where healthcare is regulated for the good of patients.

April 24, 2012 at 16:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sara

Jackie- it is clear that you do not know the entire situation. While I do not either, I know more than you. She did have an ultrasound before the procedure and there were NOT 6 eggs. I believe there was 1, maybe 2. This was done with careful monitoring. You make a good point that it should have been done with 6 mature eggs; so now you know it wasn't.

April 24, 2012 at 19:58 | Report abuse |
    • karen

Sara, one fertilized egg does not split into six babies. Do some research on conception.

April 25, 2012 at 11:14 | Report abuse |
    • Sara

True, but some follicles which were thought to be immature and thus assumed will not release, hit a growth spurt before the procedure and do in fact get released... this happened with me. So I know a lot more about this than you.

April 25, 2012 at 19:16 | Report abuse |
    • Leena

The doctor most certainly saw 1 or 2 mature follicles, but there is the possibility of less mature follicles having the ability to produce viable eggs. Believe me, I'm sure the doctor was not celebrating when he saw 6 babies. Infertility doctors want successful pregnancies..not extremely high risk ones that could cause harm to the mother and/or the babies.

April 25, 2012 at 19:17 | Report abuse |
  16. J Lee

my heart is so happy for these new parents and at the same time I am sadded by the thought that because I am a mulitple birth my parents were selfish in "their over comsumption of the planet". I can't imagine not having my siblings.
    You who have such hateful things to say.......you should definitely follow the rule we all learned as a child, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

April 24, 2012 at 16:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. glu

Fkg fertility drugs should be banned. Too many fkg humans already. Stupid story.

April 24, 2012 at 16:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Alexx

Like...

April 24, 2012 at 16:56 | Report abuse |
    • James

Yeah! using that logic we should also ban heart and brain surgeries, transplants, cancer treatments, etc. seeing how all they do is save lives, logically we should let these people die so the world is overpopulated, right?

April 24, 2012 at 17:37 | Report abuse |
    • Alexx

James, sounds like a good plan! You running for office? You got my vote. It's called natural selection and we are the only animals that don't follow the rule. This is why humans will become weaker and weaker over time. Sad, but true.

April 24, 2012 at 23:54 | Report abuse |
    • Maggie McDuh

We are also the only "animals" with the capacity for compassion of which you apparantly have none. Maybe you could be a little less selfish and spend your life researching new ways to support the population we have instead of whatever else you were planning to do. If you want to expect people to make sacrifices for the global good then set the example.

April 25, 2012 at 04:04 | Report abuse |
    • Alexx

Well, Maggie McDuh... First, putting the word animals in quotes when speaking about humans obviously means you think your better than the rest of the animals. Second, there are lots of animals with the capacity for compassion (look it up). Third, I adopted 2 children instead of having my own to help offset the people that obviously don't care about world over population.

April 25, 2012 at 16:40 | Report abuse |
  18. Rlg

Congratulations and best of luck!

April 24, 2012 at 16:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Mom2boys

Congratulations! I wish you the best with your new family. God will give you grace to parent theses special blessings!

April 24, 2012 at 16:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Eric

My wife and I just found out she is pregnant with fertility treatment assisted triplets. We are very excited, and feel blessed by God to have a role to play in these lives. Most of the comments so far are disgusting and ugly. I'm happy for everyone who can conceive naturally, but thanks to God we have found ways to enable more families to find the joy of bringing life into this world.

It's very apparent most of you do not even know what IUI is and just confuse it with IVF. Most fertility doctors see multiple pregnancies like this as a failure on their part, but at the same time it is just as beautiful as singleton pregnancy. Each child of mine will be loved and taken care of and raised to the best of my and my wife's ability.

April 24, 2012 at 16:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cletus

Congrats and good luck. I've got "Irish" triplets.

April 24, 2012 at 16:57 | Report abuse |
    • goingcrazy

Yay! Congrats!!

April 24, 2012 at 16:59 | Report abuse |
    • Sheri-ct

Congrats, Eric! I have IVF twins and feel so blessed. Good luck to you and your family.

April 24, 2012 at 17:30 | Report abuse |
  21. Cletus

Everybody be sure to think about the social, environmental, emotional, financial, political, physical and mental ramifications every time you wanna smush.

April 24, 2012 at 16:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Cletus

Both parents have college educations and jobs. Seems these babies already have a head start on you.

April 24, 2012 at 17:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Hologram

God has yet to rescind the "be fruitful and multiply" mandate.

"Overpopulation" issues are more due to people not wanting to allow other people to enjoy a proper life with adequate food, water, land and housing than anything else. There are thousands of acres of land around the planet with no one living there.

God's blessings on this family of new litle ones.

April 24, 2012 at 17:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lala

I think it's pretty obvious that God meant that we as a race should multiply, not that every person should shoot out as many babies as they can, regardless of their financial, mental, and spiritual ability to care for them.

God also gave us brains with the expectation that we'd use them to do more than prevent the wind from whistling between our ears. Please stop using the Big Guy as an excuse to turn off your mind; it makes us all look bad.

April 26, 2012 at 18:10 | Report abuse |
  24. Leigh

This makes me sad. I had singletons and spent so much time just holding them and soaking them in. I bet it's hard to really enjoy the baby stage when you spend all of your time feeding, changing, bathing, etc. I wish them well and hope the six are and continue to be healthy.

April 24, 2012 at 17:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Mike

I do not believe that this was "intra-uterine insemination". I must have been IVF with multiple eggs. In most first world countries with top healthcare, one or maybe two eggs are inserted with these treatments... not more than two... this is crazy, not good for mom (dad), not good for kids, not good for community, society, etc. Poorly educated doctors in most hospitals in this country.

April 24, 2012 at 17:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sheri-ct

Most of these cases are IUI, not IVF. IVF is a very controlled process, but costs a lot more.

April 24, 2012 at 17:31 | Report abuse |
    • lutherangal

Intra-uterine insemination is an easy procedure and useful if the sperm are healthy, and the resulting embryos can reach the uterus as nature intended (some can't because of blockages or other factors). An oral medication such as Clomid or injectables would stimulate the ovaries to produces multiple eggs. Because the embryos were not created in a lab, there was a loss of control in the process. That is why ultrasound monitoring is so important.

April 24, 2012 at 17:37 | Report abuse |
    • Sara

Mike- this is very incorrect. It was not IVF but IUI as stated.

April 24, 2012 at 20:00 | Report abuse |
  26. jon

The doctors have to find a better way of helping people get pregnant WITHOUT overdoing it with multiple kids! I'm sure the parents only wanted 1 not 6. This planet has enough people, we don't need to be overpopulating the earth due to medical mess ups.

April 24, 2012 at 17:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. ellgee209

I hope that the babies are doing well. I don't understand why parents are allowed to go through these procedures in such a short amount of time. Eighteen months is not along time to wait to get pregnant. These procedures put these fetuses at risk when so many are in the womb at one time.

April 24, 2012 at 17:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. aa

people are so stupid when it comes to children. we should not celebrate octuplets or sextuplets...we should find out why and try to prevent it from happening again. the octuplets mom is a complete waste of life that brought 8 more lives into this world that will be burdens. life isn't a miracle because miracles are rare. life is what happens, all the time.

April 24, 2012 at 17:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. VPIN

Dear CNN,

After all the insane comments posted with this story- perhaps some education on fertility treatments would be appropriate. I honestly didn't think the general population of your readers were this uninformed. While your at it – close the comments.

April 24, 2012 at 18:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. IVFmom

I am surprised by the ignorance of most people on this site. First, 18 months is a long time to get pregnant. Most specialists in reproductive medicine will recommend multiple tests to check both the mother and the father to see what the problem is. There are many problems. Secondly, as a previous poster said the large multiples like this case are usually IUI not IVF (Octomom) was an exception due to a bad doctor ignoring well-established guidelines in his profession. Thirdly, the assumption that the doctor did not check with U/S is likely wrong. However, it isn't an exact process to determine how many eggs are viable. They judge based on size and sometimes you can be wrong. Also there is a higher chance of identical twinning in fertility treatments so you could get 6 babies with only 3-4 eggs.
    Finally all of the comments about overpopulation are also ignorant. If people don't have children at all or have only 1 then we will quickly decrease the number of people. It takes 2.1 children per couple to keep the population steady. So if everyone had 2 kids then the population will decrease.

April 24, 2012 at 18:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • lutherangal

I would have to agree with you on all accounts. However, the truth be known that the monitoring failed. I live overseas and have had IUI and IVF on two continents. Quite honestly, the IVF industry in the US is very aggressive compared to most other countries. This is a highly profitable business for doctors and people are suffering as a result. Because of the high costs in the US for drugs and services, patients and doctors are reluctant to either start with low doses or quit and do another cycle with a lower dose.

April 24, 2012 at 18:57 | Report abuse |
    • Sophie

they weren't twins. She 6 babies!! 6 Eggs... Quit trying to find "excuses" for narcisstic behavior. Nothing split.

April 24, 2012 at 18:59 | Report abuse |
  31. James

Yes, everyone just stop having kids, thats the solution. Stop saving lives too, just let people die. the world is overpopulated, just shut up already.

April 24, 2012 at 18:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. MM

you people are sick!!! God bless them!

April 24, 2012 at 18:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. JMHO

Where are the groups protesting women's right now? Why aren't people saying "Stay out of her uterus!" This is also about a woman's choice.

April 24, 2012 at 18:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Ellen in CA

To those who seem to be worried about over-population here is a test question; Abortion became legal in the United States in 1973. How many embryos have been destroyed by "medical" means since that time. It is in the millions! The actual answer can be found by checking with the CDC, since that agency must keep these records. Now maybe you can all get a good nights sleep and stop worrying about Americans contributing to world over-population.

April 24, 2012 at 18:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. else

Geez, people. Yes, having higher order multiples is risky and expensive and NOT a good idea, but it doesn't have to be something they did wrong – maybe the eggs split after fertilization or something, or one was released later – that happens, too. It was just bad luck that will hopefully turn into the good luck of healthy children. They are far enough along that they have a better shot at health than most higher-orders...

April 24, 2012 at 18:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Jackie

You do not get pregnant with 6 babies using IUI unless some pretty serious fertility drugs were used to stimulate the woman's egg production. These drugs should only be used as a last resort when all else has failed over the course of years, not after only 18 months. 18 months is barely enough time to be sure that there is a fertility problem, let alone try all available options before resorting to drugs that can cause high order (and high risk) multiple births. Shame on the doctors for allowing this to happen!

April 24, 2012 at 19:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Sara

Sophie- as someone who as dealt with the devastation of infertility, I would think you would be more tolerant. You do not know anything about this situation, so do not act like you know everything.

April 24, 2012 at 20:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Sara

I am sickened by he majority of the comments on here. Unless you have been faced with the devastation of infertility, you have no place to say anything about this family's decisions. You do not know this family or the situation, so you should not assume that you know what went on. You people need to get a life and leave these people alone- they are not asking anything of you.

April 24, 2012 at 20:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Erin

Alot of these comments are utterly disgusting. I'm the product of a family of six and was well cared for, provided for and attended a wonderful college. Each of my siblings are equally successful, the youngest has been attending college since he was in his early teens. It is uncomprehendable to call large families. Drain on society and earth as my siblings and I clearly are not. So shut up and let these people live their lives. Congrats and welcome to the world of parenthood! I'm sure all you nut jobs hate me just as much as them because I had a child outside of wedlock...

April 24, 2012 at 20:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jim

Beyond any financial matters, high order multiples are at severe risk of many, many life long physical problems. The higher the number of babies in the birth, the higher the percentage of physical problems. That is a horrible thing to do to your very own baby.

April 24, 2012 at 23:20 | Report abuse |
  40. Karen

God blessed them in abundance. People should stop worrying about something that will never effect them personally. So what they wanted children, they were blessed with 6 babies. I don't understand what the problem is except that people want something to fuss over. In other words.. leave them alone. It's none of your business.

Psalm 127:3 Lo, children are a heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.

April 24, 2012 at 21:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Kelcy, Colorado

Another case of a medical professional failing to do the ultrasound yet did the procedure anyway. That medical professional should have to pay the cost of these children for the next 18 years.

April 25, 2012 at 01:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. jeffeigenman

aw

April 25, 2012 at 03:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Maggie McDuh

Seriously? If you had read the article you would know she has a husband. I'm starting to think over population isn't nearly as big of a problem as terminal stupidity!

April 25, 2012 at 04:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. SEl

Hello! i am the Mom of triplets that were born healthy at 31 weeks. We were given the option of reduction but we were also told there was a risk we could loose them all. I have 3 beautiful 11 year olds and if you asked them they are happy to be here. With abortion claiming so many unwanted babies it is impossible to adopt easily. I would not have it any other way! It was a miracle to me. After having 3 miscarriages and having a baby that died at 4 months, yes life is a miracle. If you are lucky enough not to experience that loss, you have no right to judge. I wish them all the joy that I experienced raising mine!

April 25, 2012 at 08:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. abortionist's providers

*a good money-making business, rather.

April 25, 2012 at 10:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. tina

I like how everyone has an opinion and nobody knows the whole situation. you do not know if they can afford these babies. You don't know if any of them are twins. You do not know anything about them except they've had fertility treatments and had 6 babies. I myself went through both IVF and IUI.It is a very expensive and emotional process. A good Dr. would pass on a batch if you had too many eggs ready, but we don't know if they could have split once she became pregnant. It this was a case of IVF and none of them were identical, yes, you would have every reason to be upset. As far as adoption, it is so expensive and you are not guarenteed to get a baby. These days, the birth mother goes through files and files of people waiting to adopt and they pick you. You have no idea when or if at all that you will be lucky enough to get a child. Basically you create a scrapbook of your life and hope it sells itself. Overseas adoption is so outragous and time consuming. My husband and I after 3 years decided not to have children and we are at peace with it. I know that there are so many older kids that need adoption, but I believe that it's great for some people, but you have to respect others that would like to raise a child from an infant. i don't think someone should be judged on something like that. Yes, they could have had a selected abortion, but that is something that everyone has a right to. I myself do not believe in abortion, unless it's a case of rape, but when you are put in these situations, sometimes it might be good or bad. I wouldn't know unless it came to that moment in time. You have to think of your own health along with the health of the children. Do not judged until you are in that situation. I'll get off my soapbox now.

April 25, 2012 at 11:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Jolie

oh-my-god-becky. Uh,, congrats? lol GOOD LUCK TO YOU lady! One infant alone can drive you up the wall, I cannot imagine 6 crying babies.

April 25, 2012 at 13:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Susan

This couple has not asked for their family situation to be put on display for you beastly people to comment on their lives, the univited media has brought this to your attention.I have no doubt this family will take the best possible care of their children and raise them (as we all try) the best that they can. Now eveyone think of a difficult decision you have made that you'd like to see debated and mocked on CNN... I am sure you'd be mortified to see what people would say about you.

April 25, 2012 at 14:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sophie

ya right. Who told the media that they had 6 babies? They did. It's nothing but media whoring..I'm sure in hopes to pimp out their kids for a reality show. That's the only way they will be able to afford them without MY tax money paying for it.

April 25, 2012 at 18:23 | Report abuse |
    • Susan Sabo-Wagner

Sophie, by "beastly" I meant you.

April 26, 2012 at 19:18 | Report abuse |
  49. Brooke

It's really and truly sad how many of you are cruel and/or ignorant. As part of an infertile couple and someone who has made herself knowledgable in the area of infertility and treatments, it seems quite apparent to me that this woman was not monitored properly by her doctor while on ovulation stimulating drugs. Responsible doctors who monitor properly generally will not move forward with IUI when a patient has more than 2-3 large follicles. This woman likely also had OHSS – ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome – as a result of her lack of moniitoring. The point of treatment is not to create multiples – it's to create ONE baby. Jon & Kate are also an example of this – Kate's IUI was cancelled due to too many follicles and she was advised not to have intercourse. She flat-out ignored this advice in desparation and her actions resulted in a high-order-multiples pregnancy.

Also, this is National Infertility Awareness Week. I highly recommend you check out http://www.resolve.org so you can educate yourselves and stop sounding ignorant. With infertility affecting 1 in 8 American couples, chances are, you know at least one person whose life has been affected, and I have no doubt many of you have offended them. Infertility is heart-wrenching, wallet-draining, relationship-testing, and faith-shaking. I wouldn't wish it on any one and those suffering deserve compassion, just like the sufferers of any other health issue. It's no wonder 12% of the population remains silent on this issue – with friends like some of you, who needs enemies?

April 25, 2012 at 16:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rachel

I love how people ignore a responder that actually has common sense & knows what she is talking about!

April 26, 2012 at 10:23 | Report abuse |
  50. Bradyn

Hey thats great that they took medical means to have multiple children. But I think that maybe they should have to sign a waiver to be denied of any benefits from the government, such as medicaid or any welfare. I don't know of very many people who can afford to have 6 children at all, especially 6 infants at once. Why should the people paying taxes end up paying for these kids? That is more than likely what will happen. I am pretty sure they won't find a daycare they could afford, or find one with 6 infant openings! Some people should think before having that many kids at one time. Twins = great, triplets = pushing it. sextuplets = ridiculous!

April 25, 2012 at 17:25 | Report abuse | Reply