home
RSS
What the Yuck: My inner thigh skin is darker
April 22nd, 2012

What the Yuck: My inner thigh skin is darker

Q: I’ve noticed that the skin on my inner thighs is darker than the skin on the rest of my legs. Why, and what can I do about it?

A: The likely culprits - genetics or the natural chafing that occurs when your thighs rub together or against your clothing.

You can’t do anything about the first cause, but there are a few things you can try to remedy the second.

First, if the skin is itchy, apply a moisturizer twice a day to lubricate it and keep it from chafing further. If you’re significantly overweight, losing weight can help cut down on the friction.

Bottom line: This condition is totally normal and most likely nothing to worry about. But if the discoloration really bothers you, talk to your dermatologist about treating it with a skin-lightening cream.

Copyright Health Magazine 2011

1. Carriny

Throughout this great design of things you receive a B- just for effort. Exactly where you actually misplaced me was first on all the details. You know, it is said, details make or break the argument.. And it could not be much more correct at this point. Having said that, allow me say to you what did deliver the results. The article (parts of it) can be quite persuasive which is possibly the reason why I am making an effort in order to comment. I do not make it a regular habit of doing that. Secondly, while I can see the leaps in reason you make, I am not necessarily sure of how you seem to unite the details which inturn make the actual final result. For now I shall subscribe to your issue however trust in the foreseeable future you connect the dots better.

April 23, 2012 at 01:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • bob

a fine example of rectal-cecal intussusception

April 24, 2012 at 22:25 | Report abuse |
  2. Leo

Dr. Raj,

Did you, by any chance, consider that the patient who asked the question has acanthosis nigricans? Sure, by itself, it's harmless, but IF that's the cause of the darkening skin, then it COULD potentially indicate a more significant underlying condition.

For the general audience: Acanthosis nigricans is a hyperpigmentation of the skin. It ranges from brown to almost black, and can occur in persons of any ethnicity. Patches are usually found in body folds, such as the posterior and lateral folds of the neck, the armpits, groin, folds around the belly button, and other areas. It can be related to polycystic ovarian syndrome, insulin resistance, and several other conditions. If you're concerned, and ESPECIALLY if this has appeared suddenly, you should show your doctor.

April 23, 2012 at 09:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • lola

typically you don't see A.N. in the thighs. i'm not sure the web is a place to suggest worst case scenarios of remote possibility

April 23, 2012 at 10:04 | Report abuse |
  3. jujubeans

It's her boyfriend's Brillcream.

April 23, 2012 at 10:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. BillyBeater

Gross! No sex for you!

April 24, 2012 at 02:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Shelly J

ThighGlide.us They are body wraps worn like a bandaid. Depending on where you chafe they give you 3 in every Tube for $9.56 on sale. I cut mine into 6 sometimes 10 for different parts of my body. I wear 1 between my legs and 1 on my right side bra strap. They are great. I don't know if they are still doing it but if you send them a blog or Youtube video they give you 20% off. They also have a guys version called ChafeAway

April 27, 2012 at 12:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. nikita

hey even i have noticed dark inner thighs and i need your help very badly. i have got dark inner thighs due to itching and friction and so i feel very low on confidence. i just wanted to know other than consulting a dermatologist is there any plastic surgery that can help me to get rid of this problem completely. if possible can you also suggest some good doctors and the cost involved in all this. And one last request please do not display my name or any information on the site. Waiting for your reply

May 21, 2012 at 12:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Heru

Lei Nacionales – You're welcome Joan! Thanks for ponstig this on your blog. I can't believe that our family photos are the first for you to see your work up on a wall. Yes, the photos make our living room complete and every time we have guests over for a party, bible study, committee prayer, someone always comments on our photos so THANK YOU! You and Ryan are really awesome in what you do! Also, thanks for your friendship! I'm looking forward to visiting you again and doing another family photo shesh! Much Aloha,Lei

August 1, 2012 at 12:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Sandra

please help. I have loose skin in my inner things. And have been exc, four days a week. Will it go back to the way it was by exc and diet. I try so hard to loose weight and be healthly again. But feel like its so far away. My thing is back, just like to get back in some nice clothes and fell good about my self.

September 6, 2012 at 19:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. inner thigh workouts,thigh exercises for women,thigh slimming exercises,butt lift workout,love handle exercises,leg workouts for women

Generally I do not read article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to check out and do so! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, very nice article.

January 15, 2013 at 10:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Lil mama

I have it too I was very ashamed I didn't wanna even wanna have sex but I knew the time would come so me n my bf start having sex and he didn't notice till we did it with kinda lights so later on that nite he asked about it and I explained he was okay with it he said its more of a turn on so I'm okay now

March 23, 2013 at 00:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Nicole

Hello i have the same problem and it drives me crazy cause i can't wear shorts or a bikini! It stinks i want to get rid of it it is seeming to get lighter every moth but i dont know i also have strechmarks on my breast and on my waist and also on the part behind you knee in the back and its embarrassing i want to get rid of both but i dont know how can you please help?!?!?!

May 10, 2014 at 15:37 | Report abuse | Reply