home
RSS
What the Yuck: Could weed affect my work?
April 15th, 2012

What the Yuck: Could weed affect my work?

Q: I sometimes smoke pot on the weekend. Can this affect my work during the upcoming week?

A: It sure can. Although the immediate effects of marijuana typically last only one to three hours, frequent users can have a hard time concentrating and processing information, even days later.

Marijuana has other risks, too: It contains more carcinogens than tobacco and can cause the same respiratory issues - possibly even cancer.

Bottom line: Your weekend habit could have consequences way worse than just making you feel spaced out at work.

Copyright Health Magazine 2011

1. Phillip Anthony Biondo

I wouldn't be surprised if the new york government is lying about dangerous cannabinoids in K2. They said it had caused medical emergencies so they could make it illegal.

Dronabinol: Pharmaceutical delta-9Tetrahydracannabinol.

Schedule 1 drug: “Substances in this schedule have a high potential for abuse, have no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States, and there is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.” Cannabis definitely does not fit this description and Mescaline, DMT, and Psilocybin could all be useful in psychiatry and are not addictive or dangerous.

I'm suing the U.S. government for Violation of freedom of Religion as I am Rastafarian and also believe Mescaline, DMT, and Psilocybin are sacred medicines given by God. Any intelligent human knows we are hom. Sapiens, a species of Ape closely related to Chimpanzees. Vote Biondo for President 2012 of the Fraternity Party! All drugs, prescription and illegal will be legal. Navy Nuclear Spaceship colonating the Milky Way Galaxy. Free Healthcare like Canada and some European countries. Homeless shelters. Rice, soysauce, and a multivitamin for the poor. Environmentally intelligent policy. Big Bang in Physics. Evolution in Biology. Free College like k-12. Strong Military. Technological Singularity in 2045, superhuman artificial intelligence. Higher taxes, very high taxes for Billionaires. If that Sheriff is right than is Obama inelegible for reelection?

The Universe has a radius of 13 billion light years because it has been expanding at the speed of light for 13 billion years. In the universe there are billions of Galaxys, ours is called the milky way, in it there are billions of stars, ours is called Sol. The Universe is likely some kind of computer program Whatever god is likely created all of the universe and likely parellal universes made by a god or any number of gods of unfathomable intelligence and power.

Religion is Schitzophrenia everyone needs antipsychotics. Chlorpromazine or prochlorperazine are probably fine and much cheaper. Abilify for the rich. Haloperidol and Perphenazine and fluphenazine.

April 15, 2012 at 18:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • non sense

Same old tired arguement against, and they wonder why people can see thru the falicy of the arguments presented.

April 15, 2012 at 19:33 | Report abuse |
    • SixDegrees

Stop drinking the bong water.

April 16, 2012 at 02:59 | Report abuse |
    • David

Funny then that the AMA supports Medical Marijuana. A carcinogen? if you smoked Lbs. per day. Someone needs to enlighten this author about the use of Vaporizers and medibiles.

April 16, 2012 at 06:18 | Report abuse |
    • John Wright

Nurse! Nurse!

April 16, 2012 at 06:20 | Report abuse |
  2. Phillip Anthony Biondo

Dronabinol: Pharmaceutical delta-9Tetrahydracannabinol.

April 15, 2012 at 18:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Thinquer

Paranoid ?

April 15, 2012 at 20:34 | Report abuse |
  3. Timothy J. Lambert

Propaganda.

April 15, 2012 at 18:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Phillip Anthony Biondo

How come they can vote for Cannabis but to make it illegal no vote is required?

April 15, 2012 at 18:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. phil needs to detox

Phil, I'd say your bong trip is still going strong.

April 15, 2012 at 18:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. rg500g

Say what you will, I'm more concerned about weed than alcohol from the productivity standpoint. I LOVED weed in college. Had utterly hilarious times I'd not trade for anything. That said, I saw too many friends just wind down like a watch that never got wound back up and I was for sure on that track too but somehow missed that final call for a ride on the ganja bus. Binge drinkers have a day hung over (often Sunday) but they're back at it on Monday. The ganja fog lasts longer, and in my experience the drive didn't come back for some days. Smoking 3 times a week just about keeps you dulled to some degree all the time.

April 15, 2012 at 18:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ed

I agree with your experience entirely. I discovered that my reasoning ability was severely hampered for days after just taking a few puffs. I could not understand why my computer programs written while still in the fog did not work. Then, days after the fog cleared, I looked at my work again. What I had written was truly crap, and I realized that I could not smoke dope and be and engineer. I loved my work more than the trip, so I stopped. That was 40 years ago.

April 15, 2012 at 19:13 | Report abuse |
    • David

You have no idea the amount of inspired creativity that those using MJ 3 times per week has upon society without it......BORING!

April 16, 2012 at 06:21 | Report abuse |
    • Death to Sycophants

And I shall be the contrarian. As an engineer, I have little trouble compartmentalizing my Cannabis intake in such a way that it does not affect my engineering career. HINT: Don't try coding when you're high. And don't get high when you have coding to do.

April 16, 2012 at 08:35 | Report abuse |
    • Tacc2

That's funny considering I know many cannabis smokers who have absolutely no problems with motivation. Maybe the people you're talking about are just lazy.

April 16, 2012 at 10:24 | Report abuse |
    • Cannabineer

I am in agreence with the above contrarian. As an engineer, cannabis not only helps me to better understand the larger picture of the single issue that I might be pondering after my day at work has concluded but also helps me to relinquish my mind to subjects other than that specific project that seems to be causing me such a problem in the first place. Engineers are a breed unto their own. We are obssesive and perfectionists and we think we should have all of the answers all of the time. When we cannot clearly see a defined solution to a problem, it consumes us. Cannabis helps me leave my work at work, thus allowing me a better quality of life outside of the office.

April 16, 2012 at 12:31 | Report abuse |
  7. Phillip Anthony Biondo

Ever heard of Dr. Timothy Leary?

April 15, 2012 at 18:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • rick

what has leary got to do with this topic?

April 15, 2012 at 20:03 | Report abuse |
    • SixDegrees

Ever heard of completing a thought?

April 16, 2012 at 02:50 | Report abuse |
  8. Mike Ikeo

rg500g, what you say is total bull. It is conjecture, simple as that. The SCIENTIFIC and MEDICAL studies done by universities around the world have proven otherwise. Cannabis doesn't make you lazy, just as alcohol doesn't. The majority of people who use cannabis, and I can attest to this personally, are normal working people. Whether they have some beers or some cannabis, they are responsible and productive members of society. If they are lazy bums, it's just who they are, regardless if they're on the couch drinking beers all day or using cannabis instead. It is the individual who must be judged on their actions, not the drug they choose to use. And in case you didn't know, cannabis is SAFER by every possible measure, than tobacco, beer, wine, hard liquors, caffeine, and even fast food. On top of it all, it is NOBODYS business but my own what I choose to consume as long as I don't harm others, whether that is any type of alcohol, or any type of fast food, or any type of caffeinated drink, or if it's cannabis.

April 15, 2012 at 18:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gman

Well stated!

April 15, 2012 at 21:22 | Report abuse |
  9. Al Pater

What nonsense:

April 15, 2012 at 18:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Phillip Anthony Biondo

Why are the drugs someone uses any business of everybody else? Death from climbing everest. Death from Alcohol. die Speeding or on a motorcycle, Why should these powerful medicines land someone in prison with rapists, theives, and murderers?

April 15, 2012 at 18:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Thinquer

Because drugs are ruining young lives. You might not care about yours, but we care about theirs. And we end up footing the bill for people who can no longer contribute to society because of drugs. -Mother of a pot addict.

April 15, 2012 at 20:27 | Report abuse |
    • Daville32

Sorry but this is not a life ruining drug, if this drug ruined your life you were destined to have that happen -15 yr smoker, with a successful life!

April 15, 2012 at 21:02 | Report abuse |
    • BurghThing

i smoked marijuana multiple times a day every day from junior year of high school through college....and continued smoking several times a week through law school.....im now a 26 year old attorney with six-figures in my bank account....i think I'm doing pretty good despite having smoked pot literally thousands of times

April 15, 2012 at 21:14 | Report abuse |
    • tibbs

So I have to pay for an oppressive, endless, expensive, impossible-to-win, war on american citizens who use drugs because you have raised an uninspired, lazy kid? That makes sense.

April 15, 2012 at 21:24 | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

@Thinquer – you're insane if you think the war on drugs is HELPING our kids. Do you realize that states that reduced the penalty for drug possession see less arrests, more people in addiction treatment, and a smaller percentage of their population using such drugs?

You've been brainwashed and I feel sorry for you. Us kids are just waiting for the older folks who have been brainwashed to change their minds or die out, whichever comes first (probably the latter).

April 16, 2012 at 01:06 | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

@Thinquer – and I'm sorry you're the mother of a pot addict. Addiction is horrible, I've dealt with it, it runs in my family – in fact, I'm addicted to the harmful substances that the government considers legal.

But the war on drugs is just making this problem worse, not better.

People with addictive personalities will exist whether or not marijuana is legalized.

Legalizing the substance will lead to lower usage rates and more people in addiction treatment, as the link I posted shows.

April 16, 2012 at 01:11 | Report abuse |
    • SixDegrees

If you're going to use drugs, you should be informed of their effects on your health. Or at least have the option of being informed. If smoking pot causes cancer and lung disease, that seems like something worth knowing. You can choose whatever course you like, but it ought to be a choice informed by fact.

April 16, 2012 at 02:52 | Report abuse |
    • Tacc2

Thinquer: A pot addict, really? Either your kid has some serious psychological issues, or you're full of s*** and are simply unhappy about their drug of choice. I'm sorry, but drugs don't ruin anyone's life. People ruin their own lives with drugs sometimes. And if they want to do that, that's not my problem. As far as "paying for it", I'd rather pay to offer people help with real addictions instead of paying jack booted thugs for the impossible task of "stopping drug use" by violating human rights, killing, and locking people away.

April 16, 2012 at 10:30 | Report abuse |
  11. Dirty Harry

So going to work hung over, or with alcohol remaining in your system is OK? One should NEVER be at work under the influence of anything. There has never been a proven link to death by overdose of Marijuana, nor has there ever been a proven case that Marijuana use only use causes any kind of cancers. Booze and tobacco do not fall into that group.

April 15, 2012 at 19:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Thinquer

There are deaths every day on the highway from driving under the influence of pot and slowed responses to traffic. Every day.

April 15, 2012 at 20:33 | Report abuse |
    • tibbs

Sure, and driving under the influence is a crime. People drive drunk too, wanna prohibit alcohol? Oh wait, we tried that. It didn't work any more than cannabis prohibition has.

April 15, 2012 at 21:30 | Report abuse |
    • Enough Already

@Thinquer you obviously are delusional. You need to get some real facts. You are saying pot kills every day on our roads. Lets see some real evidence. You are talking out of the side of your neck or you are just a propaganda creator.

April 16, 2012 at 01:37 | Report abuse |
    • kiloez

thinkquer is spewing garbage.

April 16, 2012 at 05:02 | Report abuse |
    • Tacc2

Thinquer: And there are deaths every day from people not wearing their seatbelts. Every day. Should we have mandatory minimum sentences for those law breakers too? I'm not going to suggest that anyone drive while high. However, I'll take my chances with a stoned driver over someone hopped up on prescription drugs (which are legal) any day.

April 16, 2012 at 10:33 | Report abuse |
  12. Joe P.

I smoke pot regularly and although it does help me unwind, I'm one of the most productive people I know. I work 40+ hours a week, own my house, pay taxes, and enjoy my family. I find pot helps me see situations from another perspective and is truly responsible for some out-of-the-box thinking that yields great results.

I agree with the earlier post, that lazy dope smokers are coincidentally dope smokers and lazy people. But the weed isn't the culprit. I'm a professional in my 50's and with several friends who are the same. As a nation we should drop the hypocrisy and give pot the same treatment as alcohol or tobacco. Regulate it and tax it. Buying and smoking pot are the only illegal things I do.

April 15, 2012 at 19:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

Agreed. I burn the candle at both ends with the amount of things im involved in. Smoking keps me even keeled so I can better handle the pressure.

Like anything, people abuse it. I can drink alcohol and be a productive member of society but there will be the weak who lose control of it, same with marijuana.

April 15, 2012 at 21:39 | Report abuse |
  13. BunnyBunny

Good Lord, don't let pot smokers smoke it at work. I was raised around potheads. They can't concentrate, think everything is hilarious & will eat off your plate.

April 15, 2012 at 19:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • wm97

Did somebody say that anyone should smoke pot at work? Or did another prohibitionist just go off the deep end of Reefer Madness?

April 16, 2012 at 11:06 | Report abuse |
  14. BoddaGetta

Why in the world did this qualify for the health section? This article had no scientific influence whatsoever. No links to observational studies, experiments, or even quote an expert. Where the heck did this guy learn journalism? Also, apparently he did not need to take STAT101 to graduate.

His alcohol claims are also wildly off from credited studies.

I also saw someone in the comments link to studies on ncbi.gov, the best website for study databases and genetic databases. Most of my science professors teach with this website and use it as a source for their own research.

Just like the author uses pure anecdotal evidence, I'll counter with some of my own. I know many successful people that smoke marijuana, many of who make more money, are held in high esteem by colleagues, and are great parents. They happen to smoke weed late on weekends after work when the kiddes are in bed.

April 15, 2012 at 19:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Thinquer

Wonderful... you're bankrolling drug lords around the world who kill police and judges and their families. You must be so proud...

April 15, 2012 at 20:31 | Report abuse |
    • tibbs

You are right! We should absolutely change our drug policies to prevent this. Remember when we prohibited alcohol and booze sales enriched gangs and violent criminals? Hmmm, how did we solve that? Oh, yeah, Legalize, regulate and tax.

Don't let the system that made pot easier for your kid to get than beer continue to exist.

April 15, 2012 at 21:34 | Report abuse |
  15. vonxx

I see no problem in smoking pot.. I just fired one up and it does not cause and problems to me... And in fact You would not evnen know that I was smoking one!?... Its like Mary.. She had this cow...... Mary had a little caw its feathers where white as snou... And ebeywhere that MarY went the houres was suure to... to Too?... GO............................................................................................

April 15, 2012 at 19:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John Wright

Can I have some please?

April 16, 2012 at 06:24 | Report abuse |
  16. evensteven

Yes, pot can adversely affect your short=term memory and may contribute to wasting lots of time. On the other hand, it may also facilitate creative expression which can be a giant injection of positive ideas and new approaches if one is engaged in an avenue of work that can benefit from such. Just one idea can be worth millions.

It can provide a much needed relaxation break from the cares of a troubled world.

Can it be overdone to one's detriment? Of course. So can just about anything else.

April 15, 2012 at 20:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Jim

I am 49 years old and weed has done nothing but make me more productive, creative, thoughtful and a much better employee.
    I can not tell you how helpful it has been for me. Not to mention it helps me with my arthritis and pain from old sports injuries, not just a little but tremendously. Anyone who is lazy, is not from smoking weed. It is one of the best additions to my routine and much better than wine, beer, painkillers, add medicine, etc. It may not be for everyone but for me it has been a miracle substance. Why the government continues to imprison innocent citizens over a flower is beyond me, it is one of the most criminal actions by a government in history. The waste of tax dollars and the incarceration of our citizens over a choosing to smoke a flower is criminal and any politician that supports criminalization of marijuana should be arrested.

April 15, 2012 at 20:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Thinquer

April 15, 2012 at 20:30 | Report abuse |
    • Sauce

@Thinquer: If you buy gasoline you are "bankrolling" massive oil companies who destroy ecosystems and enslave nations.
      If you buy clothing made overseas you're "bankrolling" greedy corporations who pay nothing to their employees, treat them badly and force poverty. Everthing you buy is going to have blood on it. You're constantly paying for corporations that rape the Earth and its' inhabitants. Greedy people and governments have turned weed into what it's thought to be. Smoke a bowl and settle down.
      PEACE

April 16, 2012 at 01:37 | Report abuse |
    • kiloez

More garbage from Thinquer. The dude is full of it.

April 16, 2012 at 05:03 | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Thinquer- Sorry to burst your bubble but the outdated, oppressive and criminal US prohibition laws are bankrolling the Cartels. So if you support this absurd prohibition of a flower that has many helpful properties then you are actually the one who supports terrorist cartels, black market profits and the death and incarceration of hundreds of thousands.
      You must be so proud.

If someone were dropped on this planet and saw the carnage caused by the criminalization of marijuana they would be stunned. The only sane and humane path is decriminalization and regulation.

April 16, 2012 at 09:30 | Report abuse |
  18. Winston5

Weed causes cancer, really?? This is why I will never trust the medical establishment until they get serious about studying marijuana as they are about pills–which weed HELPED ME KICK. Cancer...lol!!!!

April 15, 2012 at 20:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. mon mon mon

I always do my best work when im stoned. Lol 🙂

April 15, 2012 at 20:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Phillip Anthony Biondo

No, i don't need detox. I am so sane that people like you make me crazy, so i take antipsychotics, antidepressants, and antianxieties. Now go meditate in full lotus for an hour.

April 15, 2012 at 20:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Scott

Dude,Wheres my cubicle? Uh oh, Is the boss frowning at me? Or am I just paranoid? oh boy! donuts!!

April 15, 2012 at 21:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Tan

Utter lies. What known carcinogens does marijuana have? Furthermore, I have smoked 4-5 times a week for the last year and a half, almost finished my undergrad degree that requires a heavy amount of coding, biology, chemistry and math, and have never had any problems with memorization and homework (or at the very least, my capabilities remained the same, rather than went down). On the other hand, smoking has helped me deal with depression, severe cramps, chest pains and arthritis pains. It helped me enjoy music and movies more, helped me widen my horizon artistically, and unlike alcohol, I have never felt hungover, or threw up, or did something immensely stupid while high. I know many people who smoke before coming to work, and they are some of the smartest people I have ever met.

Don't give unfounded advice, you'll just ruin the lives of people who might have otherwise benefitted greatly from the experience.

April 15, 2012 at 21:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Grayson

Worst. Article. Ever.

April 15, 2012 at 21:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Incredulous

I'm an orthopedic surgeon, and I can't believe this is on CNN.com. Not a single statement in Dr. Raj's reply is true. There is much evidence aupporting the EXACT OPPOSITE of what he states. Raj, post your sources when passing off this drivel as fact.

April 15, 2012 at 21:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Tom Com

Funny, and if the question was " Can a glass of wine be harmfull?" Of course the reply would be different.

April 15, 2012 at 22:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. JMDMD

It's not necessarily accurate to say that pot smoke can cause the same respiratory issues as tobacco smoke. A study published in JAMA this year found that this is probably not true. http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/307/2/173.abstract

April 15, 2012 at 22:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Guard1an

A full 50% of the population are in favor of legalization according to a recent Gallop poll. 80% of the population are in favor of medical marijuana according to an ABC poll. Apparently CNN is still in the prohibitionist camp. Err, how much money did the doctor get paid by the alcohol lobby? Keep wearing that tin foil hat CNN.

April 15, 2012 at 23:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. SD

Marijuana kills cancer cells, is a neuroprotective, and helps chronic fatigue patients function in life. That negates every point in this article.

It was like the editor read it over and said "Nothing in this article is true. So hey! Lets post it"

April 15, 2012 at 23:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Mike R

This country was founded by the production of tobacco after the pilgrams arrived. So when hemp became a competative product to the tobacco industry, they demonized it and convinced politicians to outlaw it in the early last century. Weed is illigal as a result of coorporate monopoly and political influence. In reality, it may be needed to inhance once connection to the earth in a spiritual way. Just remember, too much of ANYTHING is bad for you.

April 16, 2012 at 00:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike R

...Also, there is a time and a place for everything. Making something illegal make people want to prove their freedom by actually doing it MORE. Legalizing and giving the person the freedom of choice is a way more effective way of controlling it's abuse; like other european countries have shown. If it it does make a human more stupid and infertal, then this would be Darwinism at it's best.

April 16, 2012 at 00:42 | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

The 'like' button has temporarity disappeared. Excellent point, Mike R.

April 16, 2012 at 06:21 | Report abuse |
  30. Freeman

How many times are you going to continue to lie cnn? Like spreading fear tactics huh?

April 16, 2012 at 00:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Sauce

To avoid the carcinogens just eat weed treats. This is silly..weed is fine. It's ok to practice moderation.
    I would be more concerned with the food they sell in grocery stores. Somebody do an article about that.

April 16, 2012 at 01:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. ohthatchar

YES. It can affect my work. That's why I would never smoke while doing my 40hrs Never smoked till after school way back then, either

April 16, 2012 at 01:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. kooolguy

notice how they say "possibly cause cancer" because its never been proven or linked. i knew this article would be BS from the moment i clicked on it but i had to read it so i could laugh at the propaganda. its interesting how the government claims cannabis is so harmful yet they hold a patent on all of its chemical compounds and make synthetic THC. the US is unfortunately on a downhill path and we as the american people need to do something about it. fight for your rights! using cannabis is a personal matter. im not sure if i got this quote right but always remember, "america will only be the land of the free as long as it remains the home of the brave"

April 16, 2012 at 01:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. SumUser

I have smoked marijuana for seven years. Some of my best grades in advanced mathematics and sciences in college were earned while stoned off my ass studying. Yes marijuana can impair short-term memory, yes smoking it (versus vaporizing or ingesting) will release all kinds of harmful chemicals (though NOT unique to marijuana), but this "reefer madness" era propaganda is OLD.

April 16, 2012 at 01:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. kooolguy

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ufOeLqWETc&w=640&h=360]

April 16, 2012 at 01:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. nylescota

LIES LIES LIES

April 16, 2012 at 02:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. jimmyt

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    this article is a joke hahahahahahahahahahaha
    it must be.... right?

April 16, 2012 at 02:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Becky

I run a full service restaurant for a corporate chain. We're open 24/7. We gross approximately $1.3 million in my store alone. I work 50-60 hours a week and am an avid traveler. I smoke cannabis EVERYDAY. My sincerest apologies, but was someone saying something along the lines of cannabis ruining one's "drive?" Lies.

I wish that the skeptics of the value of cannabis could just realize that for some people, this plant is changing their life for the better, where nothing else could. Please just have some compassion, as a human being, and let those who use it to raise their level of wellness, just use it. Without fear of legal consequence, or more so, stigma.

April 16, 2012 at 02:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SixDegrees

Uh – if you're high every single day, you have no basis for any sort of meaningful comparison with working while not high. How about you give up pot for a while – a couple of months, say – and get back to us on what the difference actually is?

April 16, 2012 at 02:56 | Report abuse |
    • rob

@SixDegrees

By that logic, shouldn't everyone here denigrating views similar to Becky's have to try working stoned, for say, "a couple of months" before stating with certainty that sobriety is superior? Wouldn't want any double standards being applied, right?

April 16, 2012 at 07:38 | Report abuse |
  39. julie

to the mother of the daily user...im sure glad for you and your child that it is not alcohol.

April 16, 2012 at 03:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Rachel

Same old argument. A few tokes to get off on a weekend is not going to make you spacey even the next day. If you're going to smoke several joints a weekend, it probably will. Just like a few glasses of wine isn't going to give you a hangover, but a few bottles will. Same goes for the cigarette analalog. Everything in moderation. Millions of us are waiting to practice moderation with pot.

April 16, 2012 at 06:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Robs

Dr Raj...Go back to India with your LIES...LIES All Lies....LMFAO

April 16, 2012 at 06:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. David

Carl Sagan was a chronic pot user and was one of the smartest men to ever live. He later attributed much of it to his use of marijuana

April 16, 2012 at 06:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. HaakOne

Funny how Normal . Org has all the science backed by medical professionals that it shall never cause cancer unless of course you decide to smoke that Fake weed wannabe. CNN you are a garbage channel knowing that you believe this horse dung. I have a disease and have been using it for 20 years. The disease has been put on a reverse course and you are telling me the BS that flows from your lips is REAL? SCREW OFF CNN YOU ARE WRONG AND CANNABIS IS THE SAFEST LONGEST USED MEDICINE IN HISTORY. WHAT DO YOU GET CNN FOR LYING THE WAY YOU DO?

April 16, 2012 at 06:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. HaakOne

Estimate: Worldwide Population Of Lawful Medical Marijuana Patients
    by Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director

From the International Association for Cannabinoid Medicines IACM-Bulletin of 8 April 2012 World: Increasing numbers of patients use cannabis for medicinal purposes An increasing number of patients in the world are using cannabis for therapeutic reasons, with available data from countries, which have installed programs for their citizens.

April 16, 2012 at 06:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. HaakOne

Data from Israel show that in August 2011 6,000 patients got medicinal cannabis (0.8 patients in 1,000). It is estimated that the number increases to 40,000 in 2016 (5.2 patients in 1,000 citizens).

In Canada 12,116 patients were allowed to use cannabis on 30 September 2011 (0.35 patients in 1,000 citizens).

Numbers of patients using cannabis from the pharmacies in the Netherlands were estimated to be 1,300 in 2010 (0.08 patients in 1,000 citizens). However, many patients in the Netherlands use cannabis from the coffee shops or grow their own.

In Germany about 60 patients are currently allowed to use cannabis for medicinal purposes.

(Sources: Associated Press of 24 March 2012, website of the Israeli Prime Minister of 7 August 2011, UPI of 31 October 2011, Pharmaceutisch Weekblad No. 20, 2011)

April 16, 2012 at 06:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Mike

I would have respected this article more if they had taken the time to say that drugs produced by pharmaceutical companies carry this same danger, there is nothing unique to cannab!s in this phenomenon.

April 16, 2012 at 07:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Metoo

Really, most people I know who smoke pot, do not sit around in a stupor. They don't get stoned out of their skulls and sit around staring at the wall. The people I know who do smoke are hard working, productive people who on the weekends like to mellow out a bit. Drinking is really hard on the body. AND...have you ever worked with a heavy drinker and on Mon and Tues they are such grouches with hang-overs? And it can affect their work. I see it a much better choice than anti-depressants, pain pills all are which a bunch of chemicals which we may not know the full affect on the body until a generation of users die. Addicts are addicts and will find whatever they can for their addictions....legal or not.

April 16, 2012 at 07:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Brandon

April 16, 2012 at 09:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. jake1969

What a pathetic answer with NO context. First of all, the questioner said they only smoke on the weekend. That would be light use. A study of heavy users (which assumed something like 10 joints a day! very few folks do that) found that short-term memory effects fade within a couple days. So, for a weekend user, the effects would be nonexistent. Also, this doc says there are more carcinogens than tobacco smoke, while ignoring the fact that STUDY AFTER STUDY has found ZERO link between pot and cancer. For one, there are many specific carcinogens in tobacco that are not in pot. Further, pot smokers combust FAR less plant material than tobacco smokers.

What a typical BS answer....not even worth publishing...

April 16, 2012 at 09:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Pandering to the masses

How about we utilize some actual SCIENCE – not heresay by a MD that pays the bills by articles like this.

Here's some science, and it may not be popular to the "anti-weed" crowd:

April 16, 2012 at 09:38 | Report abuse | Reply