home
RSS
Veteran newsman Mike Wallace dead at 93
April 10th, 2012

Mike Wallace's public battle with depression

Since his death at age 93 Saturday, much has been written about hard-edged ex-"60 Minutes" reporter Mike Wallace's epic verbal battles with world leaders, swindlers and alleged crime bosses.

But in 2005, Wallace made news of his own when he acknowledged his longtime war with depression a fight that nearly caused him to take his own life.

"I came perilously close to committing suicide," Wallace wrote in his memoir "Between You and Me."

He described in dramatic detail how he was crushed by a devastating depression fueled by stress from a $120 million libel suit over a 1982 CBS documentary about the Vietnam War. The subsequent trial, he wrote, pushed him "more deeply into a dark and devastating malaise, which was crushing my spirit and even sapping my will to live."

Going public with his struggle did much to help others know they weren't alone, said Dr. Charles Raison, CNNhealth's mental health expert.

Telling everyone that someone as famously intelligent and successful as Wallace could be taken down by the disease helped to lessen the social stigma that often comes with the label "clinically depressed," said Raison, an associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Arizona College of Medicine.

It wasn't surprising the pit bull of old-school TV journalism had the tenacity to confront his demons in public displaying his dirty laundry on his own terms. It was classic Wallace, the king of confrontation using the tools of his trade to melt away the stigma like so many scandal-plagued politicians sweating under hot TV lights.

Wallace's admission humanized him against a self-described "tough guy" reputation, said Dr. Aaron Rochlen, a professor of psychology at the University of Texas at Austin.

"There was a lot of positive reaction and appreciation for his public acknowledgment of what was going on for him. It took self-awareness and courage for him to admit that."

Americans have been more open about their depression in recent years, Rochlen said. The issue has been appearing in pop culture, such as Tony Soprano's discussion of depression. Soprano's therapy was a central theme of "The Sopranos," which was "important in impacting impressions about men and mental health and in therapy," Rochlen said. "Former NFL quarterback Terry Bradshaw has been very open about his struggles with depression. So I do think there's been a cultural shift in terms of decreasing stigma, but there's a long way to go."

Wallace wrote in his book that he'd sought help from a doctor he'd been going to for years. But that doctor, he said, failed to recognize Wallace was sliding into a clinical depression.

"That's terribly common," Raison said. "Studies in both the UK and the U.S. suggest that that happens more than 50% percent of the time. There have been studies in the United States that suggest that of all the people that have clinical depression probably less than 25% get adequate, appropriate treatment."

Wallace wrote he was losing his appetite and was taking sleeping pills to offset insomnia during the trial.

"This is a classic symptom," Raison said. "Among men, somewhere between 90% and 95% of people who get emotionally depressed will demonstrate changes in sleep and appetite. In women, it's almost 100%."

Wallace also wrote that he feared the lawsuit and trial brought by William C. Westmoreland, the retired U.S. Army general who had led U.S. troops in Vietnam would irreparably damage his reputation as a reporter, which experts say also would have contributed to his deepening depression.

"When there are threats to that success or obstacles to reaching their goals, that can spur on a depression," he said.

Raison added, "The stressers that are most likely to make people depressed are things that threaten their image of who they are.  Things that are likely to make you lose status, lose power, lose the respect of other people, lose everything you've built, destroy what you think your life is about. Even when the stresser gets fixed, the depression often persists."

Wallace wrote it was only because of the "love and caring support from a friend" that he was able to avert taking his own life.

"Mood disorders seem to be linked to both creativity and intelligence, according to a number of studies,"  Raison said. The message: Anyone can suffer from clinical depression.

"Anyone who saw Mike Wallace decimate these people during interviews, you wouldn't pick him as a guy that had depression," Raison said. "When you're depressed, it's very, very hard to do anything. Isn't it amazing that a guy who was so bullish, so pro-active, so driven, could at the same time suffer with the condition that eliminates those traits? That's what really struck me."

1. Katherine

Depression can hit anyone, anywhere and I give Mike Wallace my respect for facing it head on and in the public eye. Maybe someday we will all be able to get the mental as well as the medical help we need without society's stigma.

April 10, 2012 at 09:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Mike in Green Bay

I agree with Katherine ... depression was a hidden illness that Mike Wallace shed light upon. The struggles people who suffer from depression are great and when pushed too far the thought of suicide comes up. It is not an irrational thought but one borne out of the depths of human feelings and vulnerabilities. I'm pleased society has taken the stigma off the illness and people are better able to work through the issues surrounding it.

April 10, 2012 at 09:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. theworldsofross

When I read about his battle with depression, when he "came out" so to speak, it sent me straight to my doc. I'm not one of those terminally macho types but I didn't want to admit it. For Mike to come out and SAY he was battling it was all it took. Here was a man I truly admired and he had an issue that, I believe he said, cost him his wife and family at the time. I was on my way to a place no one wants to be when I sucked it up, admitted I had a problem, and got on the meds, that I still take. The upshot is, if anyone reading this even THINKS they have depression, see you doctor! The medication does not one single thing other than allow you to be normal. All the emotions are still there and yes, you can have 'down' days. But that shallow down hole you occasionally get in can be easily gotten out of. (Sorry about the syntax!) Not be depressed is WONDERFUL!

April 10, 2012 at 12:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sabina

Good for you! Thanks for sharing this.

April 11, 2012 at 08:14 | Report abuse |
    • theworldsofross

Thanks Sabina. I can really tell when things start to get dicey, thank God, and I can usually self-talk my way to more balance. Or up my 'D' intake. :-) Trust me, it works.

May 7, 2012 at 17:23 | Report abuse |
    • MNLong

Let's be clear about what depression is and is not.

What it is: It is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Seratonin, the critical neurotransmitter, cannot be passed effectively between brain cells. http://www.webmd.com/depression/recognizing-depression-symptoms/serotonin

What is not: It is not simply a matter of feeling bad. Although this is a symptom, people need to understand that this is a disease that needs medical attention.

I have depression. I tell those that have sympathy and intelligence. I avoid telling those that are ingnorant like pdog, many of which simply think it's just a state of mind that can be turned on/off.

April 12, 2012 at 13:24 | Report abuse |
  4. andrea

It is so terrifying to come out in public for the first time and admit a lifetime of sometimes severe and debilitating episodes of
    depression. The feeling that everyone else is normal, except for me. The feeling that I am useless and must withdraw,avoid
    and isolate so I can protect that shame-filled illness called depression. The courage it took for Mike Wallace to come forward
    is hard to appreciate for those who do not suffer. More people in and out of the public eye should bring depression into the
    forefront. Ordinary individuals, telling their stories with grace and honesty and not hiding, might be the start of a revolution
    in how we think and treat this painful illness. Thank you for hearing my voice.

April 10, 2012 at 12:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. PeriSoft

Something to keep in mind when thinking about how bad depression can be: POWs in Korea survived with the will to live. Those who suffer from severe burns over a large part of their bodies live with awful pain for months, and still want to live. People trapped under avalanches, people lost at sea and driven to cannibalism by hunger, people tortured for months by terrorists or enemy governments – all of them still fight to live.

So, when you have the urge to say, "Depression is just being very sad", or, "People should just snap out of it", or, "it's not real" – think about how bad something has to be to be worse than starvation, torture, being burned alive, being held against your will by a brutal enemy.

People have an incredibly powerful will to live. It isn't turned off by whim or fancy. Depression powerful enough to overcome it is not being 'very sad' any more than a man being held and tortured by Al Qaeda is 'having a bad month'.

Suppose you told someone you had a brain disease that caused horrible pain, but was being treated and so it only hurt a quarter as much most of the time. But, even with treatment, you still had a 10% chance of dying from the disease. And even if the treatment was successful, you'd have to take it for the rest of your life.

Chances are that anyone you told this to would be horrified, and offer support. Chances are they'd be doubly horrified if you told them your insurance company wouldn't pay for any of the treatment because it just didn't count.

Well, if you have depression, you can say exactly that. It's all true. But if you just say, "I have depression", they'll look uncomfortable and make a joke about Prozac.

Like depression, diseases of the rest of the body take on bizarre and unpredictable shapes, with very difficult-to-discern symptoms that often have nothing to do with their names. Until fairly recently, a large number of those symptoms and causes were derided as fanciful or an invention of the sufferer.

"Mood disorders" – and here the popular terminology itself damages the subject – are still treated as many well-known illnesses were 200 years ago. Hopefully it won't take another 200 years for serious chemical brain diseases to be acknowledged as something more than an embarrassing personality flaw.

April 10, 2012 at 13:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • HLT

VERY well put!

April 10, 2012 at 13:23 | Report abuse |
    • sweet50babe

I so agree with Perisoft everything they said is so true, My husband has been battling with depression and anxiety for years, people are so rude and thoughtless, if they can't see physically something wrong with you it just doesn't exist and they make stupid remarks about it. I really wish the people in the world would stop being so selfish and wake up, we all carry heavy loads and no one is exempt from this.

April 10, 2012 at 15:01 | Report abuse |
    • CNN Reader

Thanks, this was very well written and thoughtful, and agrees exactly with my own opinion.

April 10, 2012 at 17:43 | Report abuse |
    • scott

wow.....best darn post Ive ever read...Thank You!!

April 10, 2012 at 18:59 | Report abuse |
    • Just wow

I signed up here JUST so I could say thank you and tell you how grateful I am for your brilliant post.

How did you get so smart? Seriously, this message you are communicating is more positively impactful upon the world than what the rest of us 90% will accomplish in our life.

Just brilliant.

April 10, 2012 at 23:51 | Report abuse |
    • monah

Excellent post. Thank you. Isn't it ironic that an insurance company can deny you treatment because your condition isn't "real" yet once you've been diagnosed with depression or any other mood disorder you are denied life insurance because of a "pre-existing condition?"

April 11, 2012 at 10:03 | Report abuse |
    • PeriSoft

Yikes. I hit 'reload' half expecting a stream of partisan invective (all too standard for CNN; then I look down at pdog's post and resist the urge to join the fray). So, having come in expecting spittle-flecked political rants, I was happily shocked to see the replies I actually got.

I can't say I think my post deserves a CNN signup, and I'm not sure I have an answer for 'how did you get so smart' (Answer: I didn't; brains help writing quality but not experience and passion. Give an informed, motivated idiot a good editor and you'll have a Pulitzer in no time. :)).

A third of the words in that post could probably go away without hurting the meaning, but if anyone wants to (!?), feel free to repost it around, blog about it, hire Russian spammers to send it to 300,000,000 European and 260,000,000 US fresh email addresses, whatever. As sappy as it is, it'd be nice to think that it might trigger a "You know what, maybe..." in someone out there. I've seen similar things happen before. Sometimes it doesn't take much of a stimulus to tip something from worse to better. (And there's something you never see in the news: 'CRAIGSLIST INSPIRER CAUSES OTHERS TO RETHINK BAD DECISIONS, MAY HAVE SAVED THREE')

Anyway. Thanks for the props. OK, I've gotta go – the grimly-dignified-but-somehow-inviting disembodied floating head of Anderson Cooper is in the banner ad under this textbox, and it's starting to freak me out.

April 11, 2012 at 16:01 | Report abuse |
    • Blondosito

Dude, this is the best post ever! You're amazing. I'll copy and paste it and sent it to my spouse.

April 11, 2012 at 22:52 | Report abuse |
    • Margeaux

Fantastic post. I will pass it on for you. The other day I was visiting a friend who had had a skiing accident. People had brought her flowers, books, food and dvds. When I was depressed, the phone stopped ringing and people just stopped contacting me as they were waiting for me to get better so we could resume things. My family doesn't understand so they just ignore me. My brother is a pedophile and they reach out to him. Go figure. Feeling better now, but I have gone through several bouts so I never seem that far away from it. Thanks for making me feel not so alone. :)

April 12, 2012 at 02:51 | Report abuse |
    • Jack Daniels

You hit it out of the park with that post. Very well written and thought out. Nice job!

April 12, 2012 at 13:42 | Report abuse |
  6. Bill Martin

So much for letting the deceased Rest in Peace.....

April 10, 2012 at 13:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Chryssa

I've been suffering quietly for years, thank you Mike Wallace for writing about this. I will buy his book, Between You and Me, now! Much respect for this man and his journey.

April 10, 2012 at 14:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Belingo

It's absurd that people even talk about someone publicly "admitting" to suffer from depression. As if people "admitted" they suffer from cancer, or "admitted" they broke their leg in a sport accident.

But, reality being what it is, it's of course great that someone like Mr. Wallace wrote about it!

April 10, 2012 at 14:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Depressed

I am currently suffering from clinical depression. One symptom is that I lose my ability to care about things that used to be important to me, some of which should continue to be important to me. These include paying my bills, important tasks to be completed at work, and my health. For instance, I walked around with a huge cavity in my tooth for a month before making an appointment to see a dentist. Things are getting better every day, but I still have a long way to go.

If and when you are dealing with a depressed person, try to remember my story. I didn't become a bad person. However, my depression prevents me from mustering enough concern to do anything about the problems that I encounter.

April 10, 2012 at 14:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • brsrkr

I feel your pain. I also experience a severe lack of drive when I am deep in a depressive episode. SometimesI have to focus on just getting through the next minute, naturally causing other things to slip into unimportance. I can truly say my husband has saved my life many times – just by watching over me carefully until I am able to cope on my own again. I am generally considered a happy and intelligent person. I am very open with my friends and co-workers about suffering from depression. They can hardly believe that the face of depression is that person right next to them. I feel no shame. I only wish to educate people. It is not 'the blues' by any means.

April 10, 2012 at 18:06 | Report abuse |
    • Katherine

I completely understand. The most menial of tasks seem like Mt. Everest and it doesn't make sense to others who can't sympathize. I know how a pile of laundry can look painfully complex when all I ever want to do is close my eyes. It's depression and it's not me. It's an illness that needs to be treated as viscously as cancer. Stick with the treatments and things do get better but rest assured there will always be bumps on the road. I guess we all have our trials. No one with a trial should feel ashamed however. I have a great doctor and every time I see her I am reminded that I suffer from depression but these characteristics do not make up who I am. Depression is just something I deal with and always will. It takes an introspective spouse or friend to see the real you and love it. No one loves the disease or what it does to people. I am grateful to Heaven for medical science, drugs and doctors who are working to help. Everybody needs help; some people just don't want to admit it and that's when growth lies stagnant.

April 10, 2012 at 23:43 | Report abuse |
    • Linda Lou

I, too, battled deep depression for 5 years, and I believe it was tied to peri-menopause. I related to your experiences, and also found it challenging to get out of bed and do the things I used to like to do. It was puzzling, and I thought that the best of life was behind me. As my hormones leveled (I used bio-identical, plant-based hormones for a couple years), so did my tears, my lack of energy and will, and my dark malaise that took the fun out of life. My husband's support was essential since I was vulnerable and suicidal. Today, life is getting back to a new normal, not like before, but brighter than it's been for half a decade, and I am grateful for better health & very empathetic for those that are fighting this difficult fight. My heart goes out to you.

April 11, 2012 at 10:35 | Report abuse |
  10. FLUSH LIMP BALLS

One's SINS are a major cause of depression. Why when i asked Jesus to come into my heart the guilt and depression was replaced by a calmness and peace and joy you cannot imagine. That was forty years ago and i still have that peace of mine today. OK let's hear all the evil doer's response. LOL

April 10, 2012 at 14:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Z

Most people hide their depression and troubles in religion. It's important to seek help of a professional.

April 10, 2012 at 15:12 | Report abuse |
    • Seraphim0

Actually, you are incorrect. While guilt (real or perceived) can indeed spur on a major depressive episode, it is far from the cause. While I understnd you are trolling for negative comments about your religion and the like, I don't care. This is a common tactic to try to get people to ditch therapy. Silly, considering that most priests have numerous psychology courses under their belts and some even have degrees.

That being said, depression, like bipolar disorder, is a biological disease. It is not just 'being sad,' or 'feeling guilty.' There are actualy biological markers that can be detected in a person when depression strikes. There are actually bloodtests being designed to help detect the disorders in patients.

In short order... read about the actual disease, it's causes, the bio-psycho-social model, and the diathesis-stress model before posting such drivel. Address the facts of the disorder, not opinions. Thank you.

April 10, 2012 at 15:15 | Report abuse |
    • Spawned

Religion is depressing...make it go away.

April 10, 2012 at 16:33 | Report abuse |
    • Loyal Northern Democrat

God hates you. Jesus told me.

April 10, 2012 at 16:38 | Report abuse |
    • Sabina

My sister has been suffering from serious depression for years. Yet she won't seek help because her church is against counseling and psychiatry. Some christians they are!

April 11, 2012 at 08:17 | Report abuse |
    • Joyce

What a glib and ignorant response to a very real and physical/physiological problem.

But just so you know that faith cannot 'cure' everything....

I have suffered from depression for many years, and my earliest response was to try and better myself. Find out what was making me unhappy, and address those issues. Exercise, be a better person, be more forgiving, understand my past, my childhood, and any and all issues in my life I thought might be the source of my constant sadness. Going to church, praying, and asking for strength from God was a constant throughout that process. However, when I went to church and prayed, I would often find myself in tears....because I felt that my faith was clearly not strong enough, I clearly did not believe sufficiently, or my pain and suffering would not continue. The religion I grew up with told me that if I truly believed, I would find that place you speak of. The guilt of what I saw as my failure to sufficiently believe made it worse. My faith did not cure me.

It was only after I decided that that particular guilt was killing me, and abandoning the idea that 'if I only believed enough' I would be cured, that my load was lightened a bit. I no longer go to church, listen to how wonderful I should feel as a believer, and cry because I do not feel wonderful.

Faith cannot cure everything, and it is easier to accept that it cannot cure physical illness, but we must also accept that it cannot cure mental illness. Faith has it's place, and is a miraculous thing, but when lack of faith is implied as the cause for mental illness, it can cut to the core of a person who is struggling just to show up each day.

April 12, 2012 at 09:17 | Report abuse |
  11. SS

First time I had heard about MW dealing with depression, remember it sometime in the 90s. Was a big reason I realized and eventually got treatment. When I saw that a guy like him, whom I already greatly respected, had it and was still as kick a– and a awesome at what he did, it seriously helped me deal with the shame, embarrassment, weakness that I felt at the time. Was always the best journalist out there, always asked the best questions and even braver followups, sad to see him go.

April 10, 2012 at 14:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. kbcoops

I have been taking Paxil for years. Depression is unbelievably soul sapping, you lose your will to get up out of bed and do ANYTHING. With the medication Ive been on for depression and anxiety, it has definitely helped me function.

April 10, 2012 at 14:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. jimbo

I went thru it a few years back and its truly awful,like a death sentence.You are liteally a walking Zombie.....not fun.

April 10, 2012 at 14:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. ChuckinOrl

Mr. Wallace is definitely to be admired for bringing what is a very personal struggle out into public view. There is still a long way to go, though, in how people with depression are treated. For example, can people feel comfortable sharing their struggles with depression with workplace friends, much as we do other illnesses, if they're scared of it being used against them in employment/promotion decisions in the future? In my case, I've had depression since adolescence that I finally was treated for several years ago, with the encouragement of my wife. At the point where I finally got help, I shared with my wife how my last thought every night before falling asleep was a picture of me hanging myself in our closet. After several medications, I finally found one, in a dosage, that works. I feel better than I ever remember. Now several years later, my wife and I are divorcing. She is threatening to try and get full custody of our kids, based on my medication, and past suicidal thoughts I shared only with her. With no other evidence than taking medication and private conversations, that likely won't stand up. But, the thought that someone, someday could threaten to take away your kids is a big disincentive to seeking out support.

April 10, 2012 at 15:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. amac

Mike Wallace's public persona was a hard-nosed, hard-driven, hard-working investigative journalist. But even a Mike Wallace is not immune from an illness like clinical depression, and his lasting legacy to me personally is that he went public with the diagnosis and treatment. The sad fact is that despite all the medical breakthroughs and understanding we've achieved–that depression is not a sign of personal weakness but rather caused physically by an imbalance of chemicals in the brain–it is still classified as a "mental illness" and therefore has a "stigma" attached to it by a general public that really should know better. When Mike Wallace "came out" with his admission of depression, it was like hey, if Mike Wallace, of all people, could acknowledge publicly that he has the condition and is being treated for it, then the rest of us who are suffering the same symptoms don't have it quite so bad after all. RIP Mr. Wallace and thank you for the tremendous public service you did for all of us who have clinical depression.

April 10, 2012 at 15:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Zaza

I am really sad for Mike Wallace and I am sure he will rest in peace. AMAN!

On the other hand, I expected this man to be depressed because of the kind of life in lived lately. How in the world his family dumped a man of this caliber into a nursing home and expects a group of immigrants to care for him? He needed his family – especially Chris Wallace of Fox news when he was nowhere around.

Common Americans, please let take care of our old folks with some dignity.

April 10, 2012 at 16:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Enlightened

Not bad! Lived to 93 and battled depression! Seems like a good example of the "greatest generation" that persevered through all odds instead of today's "culture of victimization, everything wrong in my life is someone else's fault" generation.

April 10, 2012 at 17:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. pragmatic

Several years ago I was sliding into a clinical depression and didn't know what was happening to me. Privately I was doing much research to figure me out. At that time I learned about Mike Wallace's battle with depression. The fact that he was open and described his experiences with depression enabled me to put a "name" on what was wrong with me. And at the same time enable me to cast away the "shame" aspect of depression. God bless you and RIP.

April 10, 2012 at 18:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. So True

Thank you Mike Wallace. May you rest in peace. You have enabled so many of us to try extra hard to live/living in a better piece/peace.

April 10, 2012 at 18:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. jj

Rest in peace, Mike.

April 10, 2012 at 18:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. V

To see somebody so brilliant, determined, and strength - live with depression, and live to 93 - gives me hope.

April 10, 2012 at 18:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. tourinariwen

As someone who deals with depression I can only say that those who have never dealt with it have NO idea how painful it can be. I did not choose depression, much like their is no choice in gender, and sexual orientation, so I must ask my fellow americans, why do you still discriminate against me? Its really sad how depressed, anxious people are cast aside by most all, and worse that its accepted behavior.

April 10, 2012 at 19:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Steve M. Arce

It is very real.

April 10, 2012 at 19:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Steve M. Arce

R.I.P,

April 10, 2012 at 19:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. tess2602

More focus needs to be placed on adolescent depression. When my 17-year-old son committed suicide, I was completely shocked as well as devastated. My son exhibited no outward signs of depression. He was exceptionally bright and accomplished, had a great social life, and appeared to be happy. Looking back, he had had a sleep disturbance that neither the pediatrician nor a sleep specialist linked to depression, even though I had been open about a family history of mood disorders. As a result, my son received no treatment. I don't blame the doctors, but I do urge adults to be aware of the vulnerability of young people. According to the latest statistics, suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death among ages 10-24. And I can attest that a child's suicide is the worst thing any parent will ever have to endure.

April 10, 2012 at 20:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Katherine

My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. Suicide has touched my family as well and it can either tear people apart or pull people together in strength. I believe your son is no longer suffering and that you will see him again one day. I admire you for all you have endured and yet you seem like you've found some solace or peace. I'm not sure I could be as graceful. I feel the need to tell you that I also believe your son is in a loving place and that he will be with you again and for eternity. I'm a Mormon and I just hope you feel the comfort that your family stands in need of. Again, my heart and prayers go out to you.

April 10, 2012 at 23:54 | Report abuse |
  26. Healthy Mom

I just wanted to let you know All in all you have published rather tops web site. Quite informative and helpful.

April 11, 2012 at 02:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Pete

"Men often connect their sense of well-being to their careers and their career-related success, Rochlen said."

Reminds me of Adm. Mike Boorda, the first seaman to admiral who killed himself when an investigation popped up questioning whether he really earned one ribbon he wore on his chest. A human capable enough to become an admiral kills himself over the idea of what other humans would think of him for wrongly wearing a piece of fabric. Now that's depressing.

April 11, 2012 at 08:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. pdog

Depression is not a disease. Is being happy a disease? Is sadness a disease. Anger? These days, everything is considered abnormal & must have a label so that it is diagnosed and treated by a medical professional, rather than just being simply a normal part of the experience of life.

April 11, 2012 at 15:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • brsrkr

Spoken by someone who has no empathy and obviously doesn't know what they are talking about.

April 11, 2012 at 15:28 | Report abuse |
    • gateway

Being depressed does not equal being sad. Your post is ignorant.

April 11, 2012 at 16:58 | Report abuse |
    • Kirk

You are totally ignorant. Try living with the intense depression that I live with every day.

April 11, 2012 at 20:14 | Report abuse |
    • hk

Clearly you are evil and should be ... very depressed like the people who hate you.

April 12, 2012 at 04:46 | Report abuse |
    • Sabina

Thank goodness you are not a doctor!

April 12, 2012 at 09:20 | Report abuse |
  29. Kirk

I ahve suffered from depression all my life. But, somehow I ahve learned to live with it, even though I know depression is there. I ahven't worked in 3 years which has caused me to have intense depression. The loss of my job affected my self esteem and feelings of self worth. After 30 years of working, no one will hire me at age 61. Suicide has often been on my mind. But I could never do that because it would hurt my family too much. We are losing everything due to my job loss. The depression is getting worse.
    My doctor has helped me a lot. He did give me anti-depressants which work. But the depression is soo severe at times that nothing works. It is Hell living like this!! Nothing to look forward to, except old age.

April 11, 2012 at 20:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Len

Kirk:
      My heart goes out to you. Don't lose everything..I called Binder & Binder and they fought hard to get me on SSID. there's no shame; I too am a 61 year old who lost his job and then was fired from another great job after only 1 year. Call B&B, they'll help you and your family...SSID is there for you. I got a $58K lump sum and now get $2 K per month; you must survive. God Bless.

April 12, 2012 at 00:33 | Report abuse |
  30. Paula Tamburro

OMG it is a disease, NOBODY chooses to feel like that. NOBODY

April 11, 2012 at 20:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Finding Me

Depression takes many forms. While clinical depression may be the inability to move, my depression has taken the form of anger and the inability at times to distinguish appropriate behavior, always related to work when my stress factors accelerate. If I was a teenager, it would be called acting out. At 61 I find it overwhelming at times and sometimes think it's time to end the pain. Then my rational side flares up and says don't do it. I love the quote in the article because it is so true: "The stressers that are most likely to make people depressed are things that threaten their image of who they are. Things that are likely to make you lose status, lose power, lose the respect of other people, lose everything you've built, destroy what you think your life is about. Even when the stresser gets fixed, the depression often persists."

April 11, 2012 at 23:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Jenny

I moved to another country and had to fess up about my years being treated for depression. They could have refused me and therefore, my whole family based on that. They want people to get help, but you are penalized for it. My sister's boss is also the head of HR so has access to all of her personal information. Do you think she will be treated fairly? Also, in order for me to get new insurance, they won't pay for an already existing condition. It really doesn't encourage people to seek help does it?

April 12, 2012 at 03:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. HBar

I read about the Westmorland case. IMHO Wallace had a lot to feel guilty about, and that's the way he made his living. There are costs.

April 12, 2012 at 06:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Jack Daniels

Yeah, unlike Joe Biden who is a mental giant, right?

April 12, 2012 at 13:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Stephen Paul West

I am sorry we have lost such a power voice for depression awareness. Goodbye Mike Wallace. Cure Depression. Harmonize and Analyze

April 12, 2012 at 17:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Stephen Paul West

Here is a good resource for curing depression. http://www.depressionsymptomsdecoded.com

April 12, 2012 at 17:09 | Report abuse |
  36. feng shui expert

I'm no longer sure the place you're getting your info, however great topic. I must spend a while learning much more or working out more. Thank you for wonderful info I was in search of this information for my mission.

April 21, 2012 at 18:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. domeny, domena

Hello there, just become aware of your weblog via Google, and located that it's really informative. I'm gonna watch out for brussels. I'll appreciate in the event you proceed this in future. Numerous other people might be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

April 22, 2012 at 21:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. 3d animation art , athmosphere and magic from Kurageart

I do trust all of the concepts you have presented in your post. They're really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too brief for novices. May you please prolong them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.

April 26, 2012 at 17:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Sandy

Thank goodness for anything.....and I truly mean anything at all that makes people like me, living with depression, realize they are truly not alone. My 21 yr. old daughter just graduated with honours from a concurrent disorders program. I am soooo proud of her and I am convinced she will help people stop hiding and suffering with this disease and instead inspire them to shout from their rooftops to receive the proper diagnosis, treatment and satisfying life they deserve.

June 21, 2012 at 13:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. desatascos en toledo

I delight in, cause I discovered just what I used to be looking for. You've ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

September 21, 2012 at 16:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. kirito07

Really informative blog post here my friend. I just wanted to comment and say keep up the quality work. http://vibraquil.com/

December 25, 2012 at 06:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Meaghan Schrumpf

When you have depression, it's more than feeling sad. Intense feelings of sadness and other symptoms, like losing interest in things you enjoy, may last for a while. Depression is a medical illness, not a sign of weakness. And it's treatable.;