home
RSS
Does your ground beef contain 'pink slime'?
March 9th, 2012

Does your ground beef contain 'pink slime'?

A new phrase has oozed into the news cycle: "pink slime."

While one might expect such terminology to deal with a "Double Dare" or "Ghostbusters" reboot, instead, it refers to something that many Americans are consuming without even knowing it.

The pink goo first gained mainstream attention when British celebrity chef Jamie Oliver focused an episode of his show, "Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution," on the product that is used as a ground beef filler.
 During the episode, Oliver reported 70% of ground beef in the United States contains the ammonium hydroxide-treated ground meat that bears a striking resemblance to strawberry fro-yo.

"Basically, we're taking a product that would be sold at the cheapest form for dogs and after this process, we can give it to humans," said Oliver.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Food Safety • Healthy Eating

1. mike from Wisconsin

Pink Slime added to beef , Whats next Soylent Green??

March 9, 2012 at 14:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • don

you should have seen the size of the skid marks in her pantys.

March 11, 2012 at 17:14 | Report abuse |
  2. ser

PINK

March 9, 2012 at 14:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. patience

What happened to good old ground beef?? the animals are pumped with hormones than after we have butchered them we still put stuff in their meat?? wow i c y people become Vegan i might have spelled it wrong but u know what i mean

March 9, 2012 at 17:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Erin

Patience, you're too hard on yourself. You spelled it right.

March 9, 2012 at 18:39 | Report abuse |
  4. light seeker

I stopped eating both beef and pork on my doctors advice, about three years ago. I'm leaning very heavily on stopping eating chicken. My friend's and family noticed the change in my appearance and mental quickness about a year after I started my fast.
    Believe me, I truly think that simply eating meat along with the additives that are put into it are killing us. My daughter, a strict vegetarian, 38 years old looks like she's about 25 years old. I spend 2 hours in the gym, every other day. Think about what your doing to your minds and bodies.

March 9, 2012 at 22:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Max

Personally, I'm not worried; I almost never eat mammals. But the sudden revelation of this slime in ground beef leads me to wonder what other unknown delights lurk in our foods.

March 10, 2012 at 00:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. jonathan hildebrand

I was a vegatarian for 3 years and i loved it, but i decided to go back to chicken, fish, and turkey. i wont go back to red meats and pork. you dont need red meats to get every nutriant that you can get from chicken, fish, and turkey. the funny thing is if youj start eating Alot of fish you will lose 20 pounds in a month.

March 10, 2012 at 04:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Stefanie

I will stick to wild game (venison) for my red meat. I can be absolutely sure of where that came from because my dad shot it!

March 10, 2012 at 09:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nunya

LOL – ever heard of chronic wasting disease in deer?

March 13, 2012 at 18:57 | Report abuse |
    • paulronco

Fact check: Not all venison is deer, and her dad probably knows about CWD.

April 9, 2012 at 19:25 | Report abuse |
  8. Michele

Make ur own ground beef or become a hunter

March 10, 2012 at 14:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Cavemandoctor.com

Stefanie and Michele, I agree 100%. For those of us that can't stick to grass-fed, grass-finished, pasture-beef and you won't have to worry about the manufactured mess known as beef these days.

March 10, 2012 at 16:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. moozie56

I read this and it is appalling that we are exposing children to this goo. THEY are human beings and should not be fed this goo and have the USDA try to convince us that this is healthy. What testing has been done? It seems that all the USDA has are some reports, unless they have already tested it on our children and not told us.
    Has anyone seen Michelle Obama make any statements on this? She has been such an advocate for healthy eating for our children and speaking out on reducing obesity among children. It seems a little odd that there has been no outrage from her when it is learned that "meat scraps and connective tissue" are being fed to children through the school lunch program. My mind simply cannot accept that this is safe and nutritious for children, yet she doesn't voice an opinion either way. If she thinks it is safe, why not state that and explain why she thinks that. On the other hand if she disagrees, why not say so? Her taking a stand on this issue would seem to reinforce her concern for our children and what they are being fed through the USDA school lunch program.
    Each of us, whether we have a child in school or not, should care about this if we have even a thread of humanity. Our children are human beings and we should do anything we can to insure they receive the best we possibly can.

March 10, 2012 at 17:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Walter Prout

So, why hasn't the Obama's spoke out regarding this ?

Maybe it's because the Obama's children are eating Chittlings and Cornbread !

March 12, 2012 at 00:37 | Report abuse |
  11. Jerry L Sparks

All veg have chemicals on them no matter what they tell you, and wild game they eat the grass and veg's also , so what do you think your eating ? believe me when I say there is nothing you can do or eat that will help you live any longer then you own genes have set for you. Live life to the fullest and get ready to die

March 10, 2012 at 17:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. justicefor7

URGENT – Please read more about VERIZON. Things they don't want the public to know! I was tormented by racial comments that were ignored, then racially discriminated against and wrongfully terminated for making complaints about the racial injustice.

Please visit my Blog Page to see what Verizon did to my family. What they have done to my family, and continue to do is horrific. Today they still will not accept responsibility. So I will not stop this FIGHT for JUSTICE! It has been 8 years and I refuse to give up!

You can read my stories about what VERIZON did to my family by GOOGLING:
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Cover Letter”
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Press Release”
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Requesting Criminal Punishment”

From there you can access the other letters through the recent post.

I am a man who has stood up against racism, discrimination, bullying, harassment, hostile environment, belittlement, threats, and retaliation, all while working for Verizon Communications, as they conspired to terminate me.

I am a man who is trying to hold his family together while in the process of trying to fight for my rights to be heard. I am a man who has brought up his family on morals, discipline, character, hard work, dedication and conviction to believe that good things happen to good people. I am a man who could not be more proud of my family for all their trust and faith in my conviction. I am man who is a proud servant in my community and deserves to be heard, as I am begging for JUSTICE!

I have learned that: “If you have no Money, A lot of Power, unlimited amount of Connection and resources, you have no chance at receiving justice within our country!

Even though I know this to be true, that justice of only for the few, I refuse to allow Verizon to beat me! I will fight them until I die. I will never give up, I will let the world know of the abuse I suffered and the lack of justice I have received.

Neal W. Dias

March 10, 2012 at 21:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. larry5

If it won't kill you right away and someone is making money on it then as far as the FDA is concerned it's food especially if it's marketed by one of the major producers. That's how the system is greased.

March 11, 2012 at 04:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Norma Tyler

Why dont they give there family pink slime,no there not going to do that give it to the poor people they dont care.What we running out of food? I wouldnt feed it to my dogs.

March 11, 2012 at 06:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Sandy

My husband was a supervisor in a ground beef grinding and packaging plant and this "pink slime" was never,ever used. He and others that worked there never even heard of it. The only thing they ground up and packaged was beef and the required amount of fat. The meat was tested many times for ecoli and other contaminants. This ground meat was then sold to Trader Joe's, Burger King and many other customers.

March 11, 2012 at 12:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Dale

Not my hamburger I go to my meat market and watch them make it in front of me.

Nasty McDonald's their hamburgers have red slime in it.

March 11, 2012 at 13:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • tim123

a big mac green slime, 3 times too much of the worlds worst mayo, that wilted lettuce is 2 weeks old, never a tomato,even the pickles seems anemic. asteady diet of that WILL make toy sick.l

March 11, 2012 at 17:56 | Report abuse |
  17. tim123

with whatwe pay for ground beef, i hope not.

March 11, 2012 at 17:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. JGN

Walter Prout has mad cow disease.

March 12, 2012 at 10:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. JimMNH

And yet repubs and their beef industry lobbyists so advocate open/free market. Yet these same people won't even call for or allow labeling to allow people to make market choices. Would radiation require labeling? How about non-food fillers if they are considered "safe" to eat even if they wouldn't be safe to breath? Are you sure? Come on republicans .. this isn't about markets .. this is about pure greed at any cost. If you're not doing anything wrong why worry about a label or monitoring .. right? That's what you sold us with the Patriot Act .. how does that not apply to the food we eat and feed our kids?

And this note isn't coming from some tree hugging vegan .. I really like cheeseburgers .. I'd just like to know when someone is putting things other than beef in my ground .. whatever it is now.

Looks like we've returned to The Jungle .. isn't deregulation wonderful. I mean people care about others and have a moral code right? And just remember everyone .. Soylent Green is People!

March 12, 2012 at 11:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Dinah

I am a carnivore, but I can no longer bring myself to eat ground beef. I am so disgusted by what I read in this article.

March 12, 2012 at 13:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. grumpygramma

Does organic beef have this stuff in it, too?

March 14, 2012 at 07:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Teresa

How long has pink slim been used as a filler in ground beef?

March 15, 2012 at 11:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Amanda Smith

Here's my (first) question-I this another trend/fad or something to be genuinely concerned about. I already so strictly monitor my children's intake, leaving them to long for many of the things that all of their friends are eating/snacking on...now we may have to say good bye to the all american cookout too For goodness sakes people, whats next When does it end Why cant food just be food-not a freakn health hazard and something to give ya bad dreams at night. (Sitting on a stool picking the pedals off a daisy: "Beef..turkey....beef..turkey Ah, what the hey-they've both got a bad rep now." Throw the daisy over my shoulder n rest my chin in my hand with disgust."

March 15, 2012 at 12:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. fence cleaning

It's really a cool and useful piece of info. I am glad that you simply shared this useful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

March 31, 2012 at 05:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. free back links

This is very attention-grabbing, You are a very professional blogger. I have joined your feed and look ahead to seeking extra of your fantastic post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks

April 1, 2012 at 09:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Fanpage Creator Soft

Wonderful submit, very informative. I'm wondering why the other specialists of this sector don't realize this. You must continue your writing. I am confident, you've a huge readers' base already!|What's Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to contribute & aid other customers like its helped me. Good job.

April 20, 2012 at 15:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. plr ebook

Hey There. I found your weblog the use of msn. This is a really smartly written article. I'll make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your helpful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly comeback.

April 24, 2012 at 20:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. jesse

mr presadent would you and your wife and kids want to come over and have some pink slime burgers.or mabe a nice big pink slime meatloaf...?

January 20, 2013 at 15:57 | Report abuse | Reply