home
RSS
March 5th, 2012

Fluoride pills switched for cancer drugs at CVS

Some families got more than they bargained for at a New Jersey CVS drugstore when their childrens' prescriptions for fluoride pills were filled with a popular breast cancer drug instead.

"We believe that, as a result of a single medication restocking issue at our Chatham, New Jersey pharmacy, 13 families had similar incidents in which a few tamoxifen pills were mixed in with their prescriptions for 0.5 mg fluoride pills," said Mike DeAngelis, a CVS Caremark spokesman.

DeAngelis went on to say that the company is doing a full investigation into how the switch could have occurred.

"As soon as we heard of this problem, we took immediate action to contact any family that could possibly have been affected and removed the one affected stock bottle that we believe to be the source of this issue," he said.

Tamoxifen, the drug mistakenly given to the kids, is a popular estrogen-blocking drug, used to treat many breast cancer patients with estrogen-receptor-positive cancers.

Dr. Otis Brawley, Chief Medical Officer for the American Cancer Society says the drug, in small doses for short periods of time, should not do any lasting damage to the kids.

"We got lucky with this one, because in kids this young, you're unlikely to see the major side effects like blood clots or stroke," said Brawley. But, he added, if a young girl who is about to start her period takes tamoxifen, the estrogen-blocker may delay the onset of menstruation for several weeks.

CVS' Caremark says a vigilant parent brought the concern to their attention, and the company is reaching out to any families that may have gotten the pills.

"Out of an abundance of caution we reached back 60 days," DeAngelis said. "Most families informed us that they did not receive any incorrect pills."

Several pharmacists told CNN that the errors like this are uncommon, and that several safeguards are in place in most pharmacies to help prevent mix-ups like this.

"Most of us keep our products alphabetically on the shelves," said Ira Katz, an Atlanta pharmacy owner. "Tamoxifen should have been with the 'T's' and fluoride should have been with the 'F's,' which is why this is so surprising."

Katz also said the tamoxifen bottles look very different from the sodium fluoride tablet bottles, even further reducing the possibility of confusing the two.

He went on to say that many large pharmacies use robotic filling systems, also in an effort to reduce these types of errors. It's not clear whether the CVS in Chatham had such a system.

1. CENTRAL PARK

ACCIDENT IMPLEMATATION SHOULD BE PUT IN PLACE IMMEDIATELY

March 5, 2012 at 16:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jen

I know probably what happened, a lot of retail pharmacies have lazy pharmacists, whom are suppose to verify what is medication based on a data base (with a picture!) of what the drug is suppose to be. Now, if you skip that part, and the technician dispenses the wrong medicine or mixes up the bottles this can get to the customer unnoticed. Scary huh, Always know what your taking, always make sure you check the pills or liquid before you leave. Always make sure its your name and address on the script. Always check, trust me, the techs and pharmacist wont be mad for asking.

March 5, 2012 at 16:40 | Report abuse |
    • Joe

My son is 12, has never used fluoride toothpaste / mouthwash, and we don't drink fluoridated municipal water.

His teeth are beautiful, and never a cavity.

March 6, 2012 at 11:27 | Report abuse |
    • El Diablo

12 whole years without a cavity? No way! He must be some kind of super human. My grandpa never had a cavity either, but lost all his teeth in his late 50s.

March 7, 2012 at 01:14 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

Wow, so many incredibly stupid people supporting fluoride. We are sooooooo screwed!

March 8, 2012 at 18:25 | Report abuse |
  2. Ry

After ALL the major studies showing Flouride to be exactly what it is: a neurotoxin that lowers IQ, increases your chances in getting breast and bone cancer, and has absolutely NO positive effect on your teeth.

(Counties @ the U.S. and countries in Europe are getting this poison out of their water while the Gov. is trying to MANDATE the poison being put in your water; flouride is a phosphate mining by-product, on record... highly radioactive as well.)

Of course, "Dr." Gupta won't even touch on that... or the 7 fold increase in most cancers over the past 10 yrs.

Any Dr. prescribing fluoride to kids, after all the studies that have come out, should be sued for malpractice.

Remember, flouride was FIRST used on the Jews in the Nazi concentration camps "to keep them docile" – ON RECORD.

March 5, 2012 at 16:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • fluoride in small doses

Ry, your post is utter rubbish! Small doses of fluoride are highly beneficial in strengthening both bones and teeth. Large doses are harmful. Stop spreading alarmist nonsense. Fluoride is beneficial for adults as well since adults experience about 10% bone turnover every year. Fluoride makes the new bone stronger.

Just so you know, cyanide (harmless at low doses but poison in large doses) is naturally present in almonds, apples and as the inorganic ligand in the vitamin B12 supplements people take. Yeah, that's right. We take cyanocobalamin and the tiny amount of cyanide ligand to hold the cobalt in place is harmless. I suggest people research topics from reputable sources. Many websites have a lot of misinformation. Stick to the official sites posted by health agencies and scientific journals and never commercial sites.

Carl Sagan was right. U.S. citizens have become completely illiterate in science and a brave new world it is. It's back to the Dark Ages with "Finding Bigfoot" on the Discovery channel (!!!) and ghost hunters on Animal Planet. Do away with vaccines, fluoridation and GMOs in favor of disease and expensive poor-yielding crops most people can't afford. GMOs reduce the need for pesticides, herbicides and fertilizer, which pollute the earth and water and the yields remain high. Yes, let's ban those awful GMOs!

March 5, 2012 at 17:46 | Report abuse |
    • Betty

Ry,

I am sorry you have been duped by phony websites. It is sad when this happens. They look so real. But they are a joke. Not a very funny one. I can understand people not liking the government to put something in their water. But to stoop to flat-out lies to get people on their side is unforgivable. People can choose to use fluoride tablets. Their kids' teeth will be so much healthier. To scare people away from that is very sad.

March 5, 2012 at 18:19 | Report abuse |
    • Ry

What I find most incoherent, is that you promote GMO's, flouride and the such.. and then talk about the 'Brave New World'.
      You are the epiphany of '1984' ... the big brother orwelian state. If you can not see this, study history and verify facts,
      It is YOU who has been duped. People are waking up to the "official" LIES.
      Don't come at me parroting the status quo BS. Find your own brain and moral compass. I have mine and I know what I'm talking about. You can say that when you have done actual research.. not just sucking down propaganda or misinformation... indeed.

March 5, 2012 at 20:04 | Report abuse |
    • Ry

JUST TRUST THE GOVERNMENT, EVERYTHING WILL BE OK.

YOU WILL BE TAKEN CARE OF...

March 5, 2012 at 20:17 | Report abuse |
    • TakeYerMeds

@Ry: There's a name for what fuels your rant – paranoid schizophrenia. Get to a doctor ASAP and tell him/her all about the plots and schemes you've discovered. You'll get some special "vitamins" that will do you good!

March 5, 2012 at 21:19 | Report abuse |
    • Amy

It's surprisingly easy to just call someone crazy and pretend you've won the argument, or that your opinion is automatically rendered as truth. The difference between the American government's relationship with its people and the government-population relationships of other countries is that over there everyone knows when the government is lying, and no matter how much they try to cover it up, it's an open fact that no one is the least surprised about. People actually think for themselves. Here, everyone is so quick to bow down and believe everything they're told, and those who don't are called "schizophrenic", "paranoid", "hippies", "unpatriotic", what have you. Even just a little bit. These aren't conspiracy theories, these are facts. Again, it's quite easy to cry "conspiracy theory" at everything you don't like.
      Stop grazing, start thinking.

March 5, 2012 at 22:20 | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Also, please ignore the "Just a little bit" part of my comment. It was left over from a thought I apparently did not delete completely.

March 5, 2012 at 22:22 | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Must have been on Yahoo News to read that one.

March 6, 2012 at 09:55 | Report abuse |
    • DeeNYC

This is what they mean when they say " a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

March 6, 2012 at 10:09 | Report abuse |
    • Riley Wolff

Ry,
      Try Mayo Clinic's website and then cross reference with Australia's Medical Council's website and NZ Medsafe. Countries like those have banned certain compounds prior to the US doing the same because they are not susceptible to lobbying. But you must cross reference information before you make your final decision.

March 6, 2012 at 10:31 | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Putting flouride in drinking water is forced medication, period. While forcing people to take vaccines in order to protect others can be justified, the flouride scam is just that. It is an extremely toxic industrial waste compound which used to be expensive to dispose of. Now the whole country is forced to not simply BUY it, but CONSUME it. The Fix Is In.

March 6, 2012 at 10:36 | Report abuse |
    • Heather

When I first saw this report on the news, my first thought was WHY ARE THEY GIVING THE KIDS FLUORIDE PILLS?! I don't drink tap water, because I'm aware that this inorganic compound is dangerous. There have been several incidents of over-fluoridated water causing sickness and death in people here in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some nefarious reason for its continued use in our water, when so many European countries have banned it. I mean, why spend that much money on the health of Americans? It's pretty obvious that the GOP doesn't give a crap about health, so why spend money and effort on the water?

When you're not mindless, you can ask yourself these questions. If you'd prefer to just go along with the plan, go ahead and kill your kids with toxic chemicals instead of just cutting sugar and sugary carbs from their diet. They're your dumb kids and if you're too lazy to parent correctly and take care of your own teeth, I wouldn't mind having your genetics removed from the equation. So, drink up! Eat those fluoride pills! And do whatever else the government tells you is fine. Mercury tainted air anyone? Breathe deep idiot suburban housewives.

March 6, 2012 at 10:48 | Report abuse |
    • N

No positive effect on teeth? Then explain to me why it is that when I grew up in a town where there was no fluoride in the water, I got cavities as a kid... we moved to another town when I was 10 which DID have fluoride... and my younger sisters who grew up in that town had NO cavities (and don't try to say it was a difference in dental hygiene, they were awful about keeping their teeth clean). Now those same sisters have moved again and now drink well water. Two years later, ALL of them have multiple cavities. You're telling me that's a coincidence?

March 6, 2012 at 10:49 | Report abuse |
    • Olaf Big

Ry, as a part of your badly needed education, watch "Dr. Strangelove, or how I learnt to stop worrying and love the bomb". That line about Commies going after our precious bodily fluids is right up your alley. Incidentally, water fluoridation does more than anything else to prevent tooth decay in children. If water fluoridation is stopped as a concession to paranoia, educated parents will still give fluoride to their children. Problem is that the most vulnerable children from poor and socially disadvantaged families won't get it and will suffer from rotten teeth.

March 6, 2012 at 10:56 | Report abuse |
    • ohnny

RY is dead on and givemeliberty nailed it-–Flouride is a poison. If they ran commercials for a year saying that the sky was a green hue and not blue. You would inevitably meet people that argued with you that it really has a green hue. This is the sadness of influence on human nature. Sorry – Flouride is nonbenificial to mammals and the sky is blue.
      *True law is right reason. Marcus Tullius Cicero 54–51 b.c

March 6, 2012 at 11:15 | Report abuse |
    • Heather

@ N – Well please explain to me why I haven't had tap water in 6 years and have had absolutely no cavities? You and your sisters sound like you were not taught proper oral hygiene as kids and remain lackadaisical in that department to this day. Good teeth are maintained through brushing, flossing, and a proper diet that doesn't include gallons of soda pop and junk food.

March 6, 2012 at 11:19 | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Ry is correct - it is all fact.

Fluoride has no practice use. My son, 12, has never had fluoridated toothpaste, mouthwash, or municipal water. He has beautiful teeth and never a cavity.

Me– my parents bought into the whole fluoride thing hook, line, and sinker... not only did I use fluoridated toothpaste, mouthwash, and take fluoride pills as a kid (we had well water), but nearly every tooth I have has a filling or two. Nearly every tooth!... and this was happening from an early age.

March 6, 2012 at 11:30 | Report abuse |
    • Wow...

@Heather, You're an adult. Fluoride isn't nearly as useful to you anymore as it is to children. It's like calcium. It's most useful for bone density and growth in children, teens, and young adults, after this stage it just helps us maintain what we have. Furthermore, you must be using tap water to rinse your mouth? Even bottled water has fluoride. In case you didn't notice, before fluoridation practices were implemented people had terrible cavities. Also, the likelihood that you will develop cavities is partially dependent upon genetics. Maybe your teeth are aligned in a way that doesn't encourage significant bacterial growth. Hope this helps.

March 6, 2012 at 11:38 | Report abuse |
    • Denise

I'm glad that there are people like you telling the truth about fluoride......I had a Nurse tell me not to give any to my kids a there are sometime seizure like(neuro toxin ) activity in kids that have immunity or other neurological conditions.....

March 6, 2012 at 23:34 | Report abuse |
  3. SixDegrees

I've had my prescriptions filled at our local CVS for several years, without any problems. In the last few months, they have screwed up every one of my orders, have the wrong refill information printed on the labels (or stored in their system) and have twice left items completely off the order. I have no idea what their problem is, but I'm getting ready to change pharmacies or take advantage of one of the mail-order plans I have available. There is something quite wrong at CVS.

March 5, 2012 at 16:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Emily

I quit using CVS for prescriptions after two errors in medication within three months. My "friend" worked there as a pharmacy tech and told me a neighbor's kids were being treated for lice by a doctor because she didn't want my kid exposed.

Twice, I have received the prescription benefits card, which includes confidential information, of the wrong person.

Once a year, CVS mails a printout of every medication my family has received in the past year – despite our repeated pleas to stop this practice because we don't want neighbors or others receiving these by accident.

Now, my employer uses CareMark/CVS for medical insurance. For every prescription, I am required to pay substantially more for anything after the second refill, to use mail order service (unknown processors, unknown sources, prescriptions can be delivered to the wrong address, and possibility of theft), or to have them filled at CVS. Since I can't afford any other options, I am at the mercy of CVS.

March 6, 2012 at 10:37 | Report abuse |
  4. bobby

Get the fluoride out peoples drinking water.. Fluoride is at oxic poison.. The more you drink the more toxins you injest.. Poor medicine to say the least.

March 5, 2012 at 17:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Beth

Bobby,

It looks like you have been reading those phony websites too. I cannot understand what satisfaction they get from lying to people. Please don't be upset with fluoride. Some people with an agenda that does not include health spread these rumors and make up phony studies to support them. Not everything that is posted on a website is true, no matter how professional they look. It's someone's sick joke. Don't be duped.

March 5, 2012 at 18:24 | Report abuse |
    • Emily

Beth, unfortunately, if you knew the way that fluoride was mined or caffeine was decaffeinated, you probably would not want to drink that either. The fluoride or the lack of caffeine are not the problem; it's the process in which they are extracted.

March 6, 2012 at 10:41 | Report abuse |
    • Jotman

Fluoride pills for children? There are some sick people out there. Might as well feed your kids rat poison. Oh wait ....

Patents on Fluoride Rat Poison & Insecticides

March 6, 2012 at 16:10 | Report abuse |
  5. c s

Fluoride is only included in tooth formulation; thus only children who are young need fluoride pills where the water does not have fluoride in it. For everyone else it cannot affect their teeth. Once a child has their adult teeth, only fluoride applied directly to the tooth in toothpaste has any affect upon the tooth. So for most people having it in water has little or no affect upon their teeth. Since almost all toothpaste has fluoride in it, having it added to the water seems to be a total waste. So why add something to water that is not needed?

March 5, 2012 at 21:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Ana

"Tamoxifen should have been with the 'T's' and fluoride should have been with the 'F's,' which is why this is so surprising." Surprising???? That T looks like F to somebody with vision problems for example? Really?

March 5, 2012 at 21:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pumbaa

The retail pharmacies are rushing the personal to fill as many Rx as possible in a shift. This does not leave time for double or triple checking the Rx for accuracy. If you can't work very fast you will not last in a busy retail pharmacy. When I worked as a pharmacist before I retired I worked in a hospital pharmacy as I hated the way I would have to work in a drug store.

March 6, 2012 at 11:32 | Report abuse |
  7. Kasha

THANK YOU CVS/ fluoride is poisonous, it give cancer, that person tried to ave that child.

March 5, 2012 at 21:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sarah

Learn to put together an actual sentence.

March 5, 2012 at 23:58 | Report abuse |
  8. givemeliberty

I'm not claiming to have the right answer about this fluoride issue, but there is more evidence of this being a toxin than just "phony websites." There is a book called "The Fluoride Deception" which cites a lot of studies. Not everyone that is skeptical is a loony conspiracy theorist. Some are just mindful and cautious of the fact that, although we live in the greatest country in the world, we are not always told the truth by our leaders. Unfortunately, money, power, and greed do a lot to influence people in bad ways.

March 5, 2012 at 21:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fitz

Thank you for adding a voice of reason and a good source to this controversy.

March 6, 2012 at 10:42 | Report abuse |
  9. malacorazon

college trained tech or minimun wage slave wage?

March 5, 2012 at 23:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • NODAT1

did not know that slaves mades any money hence the term slave

March 6, 2012 at 11:13 | Report abuse |
  10. Moe

My local CVS gave me the wrong asthma prescription for my son 2 weeks ago. Luckily I caught the error before purchasing but the CVS pharmacy techs claimed my doctor prescribed that med. The next day I asked my doctor to resend the correct med and learned they did originally. I had to go back to CVS with my doctor in my ear. The pharmacy tech and the pharmacist still said the prescription form was for a different drug. After about 15 minutes of this... the pharmacist re-read the prescription and realized CVS was giving me the wrong drug and my son finally got his medicine. I was just thankful I knew my son's prescriptions. I have also recently received medicine labeled incorrectly and incomplete doses (less than the prescribed 30-day supply).

March 5, 2012 at 23:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Emily

My next-door neighbor, who is the opposite of academically gifted (she does have some wonderful skills), worked at CVS as pharmacy tech. Besides having trouble with reading comprehension and math, she totally disregarded HIPPA laws to gossip about prescriptions being filled. She now works for the FDA. Scary.

March 6, 2012 at 10:45 | Report abuse |
  11. neurosurge

All of you fools who think that fluoride is not toxic are fools. Fluoride does occur naturally in water at a fraction of a percent. Why does the EPA keep lowering the acceptable "safe level" of fluoride added to our drinking every few years, since the early 90's? Because they are finding that it is in fact toxic. We are the lab rats that are performing the experiment.

Here is the history of fluoride for being added to our drinking water and toothpaste for the ignorant readers. A man named Edward Bernays, cousin of Sigmund Freud (father of witch craft psychology), was an evil spin doctor who was paid by Alcoa (the largest aluminum producer in US) to put a positive spin on fluoride. Fluoride is a byproduct of the toxic aluminum smelting process. Edward Bernays sat on the board and had various ties to Alcoa. Alcoa was looking for a way to dispose of the toxic fluoride. In short, Bernays convinced the politicians to add to the drinking water, convinced the public it was healthy by paying dentists to say it is recommended. Bernays also was reponsible for the government advocation of smoking cigarettes, by using propaganda to make it appear to be the "cool" thing to do. HOW DID THAT TURN OUT? HOW GOOD IS SMOKING FOR YOU? IDIOTS. People fought against the negatives of cigarettes for years, as you fools are defending fluoride.

Also, you people probably think that amalgam fillings are safe too. Do your own research and do not rely on our medical system. It is a setup to make money from its inception. Amalgams are listed on the EPA website as being toxic, but people and dentists still deny it.

March 6, 2012 at 01:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joe

You must be confusing fluoride with fluorine. The two are not even related. Fluorine is natural, fluoride is an industrial waste product of the fertilizer industry. If industrial waste getting into the water is "natural occurring", then okay I see what you're trying to say... but it's not.

March 6, 2012 at 11:25 | Report abuse |
    • Denise

Thank You...neurosurg!

March 6, 2012 at 23:42 | Report abuse |
  12. SixDegrees

Wow. The stupid is strong on this thread, where everyone is yapping about the nonexistent "dangers" of fluoride while completely ignoring the real issue: giving a patient a cancer treatment drug INSTEAD of what they should have gotten.

March 6, 2012 at 03:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Moe

I agree with you that the "real" issue is being overlooked.

March 6, 2012 at 05:56 | Report abuse |
    • Dave Bilak

Yes, the loonies have hijacked this thread about pharmacy mistakes. I have no hope for this country's future. People are stupider and more polarized every year. Very depressing.

March 7, 2012 at 16:11 | Report abuse |
  13. reallynow

Pharmacies and pharma companies are careless. You need to educate yourself and protect your children. I know what my kids are consuming. It is my responsibility to ensure they are not taking the wrong medicine.

Fluoride is just as poisonous as chemo drugs. The kids shouldn't have gotten either one.

March 6, 2012 at 09:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Oncologist in Cali

Wow "Fluoride is just as poisonous as chemo drugs." I am speechless.

March 6, 2012 at 11:24 | Report abuse |
  14. 4commonsensenow

For anybody that understands flouride if ever used should only be topical.So for anyone that understands its poison, the story becomes clear someone has a consious.

March 6, 2012 at 10:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. philippe yatsenko

Here is another good example why the practice we have of pharmacies counting out prescriptions from bulk bottles is a BAD idea. Whenever possible, prescriptions should be sold in factory sealed and labeled packaging. This would cut down on the risk of errors and also reduce contamination. It would be easy enough to stock the pills in 30-count packs for examples. Many other convenient ways of doing this exist.
    Do you want to take pills after the pharmacists coughs on them?
    Think about it.
    Philippe

March 6, 2012 at 10:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Dan

Mistakes "will" happen. Don't trust your pharmacy. Don't trust your doctor. Don't trust anyone. Check it yourself, every time. Stop expecting to be taken care of. If you are incapacitated obviously you are at the mercy of others. But, if you have the ability to ask questions ask them. If you don't get satisfactory answers demand that they give them to you. Obviously one of the parents didn't like what they saw and investigated. They discovered the problem themselves. Don't be a sheep.

March 6, 2012 at 10:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Riley Wolff

For those of you who are concerned about fluoride in drinking water less than 500 cases of osteosarcoma (a type of bone cancer often attributed to fluoride toxicity) are diagnosed in children each year in the US. In a nation of 311,000,000 souls that is less than 0.00000160 infected and more likely or not, those individuals were susceptible to begin with.

March 6, 2012 at 10:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. fgh369

We recently had a problem with our water meter and had to call the water company who sent someone out. After fixing the problem he asked if we drink the tap water. I told him no, we dont drink it, nor do I cook with it. He said, 'good, dont, they put so much fluoride in the water here, that drinking it would make you sick in no time. They dont want you to know that down at the office, but I tell everyone I can. He went on to say that I shouldnt even give it to my pets.

I asked him how much fluoride they add, and he replied that its way more than the government allows, but that they do it to cover up the smell of the sullfer in the water.

So much for government regulations

March 6, 2012 at 11:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. chemmajor

CVS – creepy vegetative state

March 6, 2012 at 11:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. DJ

Flouride Spill At Illinois Water Facility Requires Haz-Mat Response

This fluoride chemical is so hazardous that it actually began to burn through parking lot cement in Rock Island before emergency crews arrived on the scene.

March 6, 2012 at 11:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Joe

Why in THE WORLD are people giving their kids fluoride pills?????????????????

Fluoride is, first of all, an industrial waste product from the fertilizer industry. Secondly, it is a neurotoxin and causes dumbing down and pacification.

Good god, people, use your brains !

March 6, 2012 at 11:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. tony

CVS in Arroyo Grande saved a bundle by supplyng DR REDDYS CHEAP INDIAN MADE VERSION of CIPRO and crippled at least one local woman,. But that's LEGAL and COMPLETELY UNACCOUNTABLE.

March 6, 2012 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. SixDegrees

Wave the fluoride banana, and watch the anti-fluoridation monkeys start howling.

Pathetic. And not even related to the article.

March 6, 2012 at 13:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ry

Pathetic to you, whom I doubt has done any research on the topic. Have you? You just believe what you're told, and then repeat it. B/c you woundn't be saying that if you had done research. Now that's pathetic.

It may a bit off topic as far as the article, but once you understand the ramifications of flouride, have read the studies (see a book called the 'The Flouride Deception' with many studies noted for one good source), you wouldn't act like it's totally irrelevant and 'pathetic' to even discuss such a serious topic.

March 6, 2012 at 14:11 | Report abuse |
    • Lucifer

Pineal gland nuff said.

March 6, 2012 at 14:19 | Report abuse |
    • SixDegrees

Ook ook ook.

March 6, 2012 at 14:37 | Report abuse |
  24. Rockstar

My dentist called in a prescription to CVS to treat an infected tooth. I picked up the script several hours later and when I got home I noticed the name of the medicine & thought it might be the brand name of penicilan which I am allergic to. I did an online search to confirm it was what I thought. I called CVS to ask what they had on file for drugs I am allergic to. She told me penicilan was on the list & I asked why did they dispense the drug if I am allergic to it. She had no answer & a very lame apology. After that I go elsewhere.

March 6, 2012 at 13:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Lucifer

Flouride pills? Man Americans will eat anything as long as a corporate schill of a doctor tells them to or the govt says its good for you. Do the new world order a favor and depopulate your stupid self for being the naive cattle that beLIEves their govt loves them.

March 6, 2012 at 14:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. RxDoc

It's really scary how many ignorant people try to pass their ignorance off as knowledge. Really scary!

March 6, 2012 at 15:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Jotman

Might as well feed your kids rat poison. Oh wait ....

Patents on Fluoride Rat Poison & Insecticides

March 6, 2012 at 16:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. ADAman

Conspiracy? Come on now. The real question here is WHY do the dentists PRESCRIBE fluoride "pills" in the first place? As reported in the NYTimes last week, only 14% of public drinking water in NJ is fluoridated. 95% of all consumed toothpaste in the US has appropiate fluoride content. Shouldn't that suffice? There are NO evidence based studies on large populations in the US that can support "that fluoride pills" in today's day and age add to the efficacy of preventing cavities. The American Dental Association is a lobbyist group to "promote" the profession of dentistry; and provides many of so-called "guidelines" (sponsored by BigPharm). Fluoride pills and fluoride varnish is a complete scam. Look whose doing the science.

March 6, 2012 at 17:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Rambler

There are lots of websites online that offer information that is superficially convincing about water fluoridation, but that is of a very low quality. Unfortunately it's probably only going to get worse. I have done research on this and I encourage you to do so too (I recommend avoiding any website that seems too excited, regardless of the side – reason should be the driving force behind one's decisions, not hysteria). Based on my research, water fluoridation (at the prescribed levels) is safe and effective, especially for the cost, although fluoride toothpaste is more effective if you have access to it (using both is fine too). Ironically (to the detractors of fluoridation who tend to be pro-"natural") the only negative effects of water fluoridation comes from natural sources – fluoride is found in natural sources of water in varying amounts, that's how its tooth-protecting effects were initially discovered. But in too large of a dosage it can cause unsightly stains, and at even larger doses, other negative effects (most of the studies detractors point to are studies targeting this larger dosage only found in the wild – in some places they take the fluoride out of the water rather than put it in. In these same studies reiterate that lower doses are indeed safe and effective, you have to read the actual studies). Fluoride is a lot like aspirin, it can have very helpful effects at proper dosage, but if you overdose on it it can hurt you. The public water supply concentrations are chosen to minimize even the superficially negative effects (stained teeth) while maximizing the positive effects (stronger teeth). All this information is out there, you just have to look. But it's depressing from my point of view, because hysteria always seems to speak louder than facts. We all want to be healthy though, so our goals are the same. The one good thing I can say about this is this topic introduced me to different buzzwords that are empty (like "toxins", Google "dose response" to see the issue with that) which started to flag other stuff I had just accepted blindly before, I now realize how huge a problem misinformation is in medicine. Don't believe anything medical you read without checking it! "Alternative" medicine in particular seems to have an awful track record in this. If you have the slightest doubts, dig. Anyway, I've said enough, listen to or disregard me as you like.

March 6, 2012 at 19:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. sammy

FYI: it was the democratic party majority that passed the flouride mandate. Yes, in large amts it is a toxic chemical. Just like everything else "too much of one thing is not good for you...including religion"- I love the way blame is given to Republicans for all the poor govt choices and decisions-democrats cant take responsibility for their actions and have to blame elsewhere. I am a Independent for common sense-neither party has any, and evident neither does those that belong to those parties (or at least those that rant on here). Thank god that we can still have freedom of speech and say what we feel. When that is gone...so will our freedom. Appreciate the ability to do so!!

March 7, 2012 at 00:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. bloop...

I think people need to realize that this should be a discussion about what occurred with medication mixup and not an argument about fluoride. That being said, I will admit I did not know that the government was fluoridating the water but I can tell you that I've never had a single cavity or any other tooth/gum/mouth issue. I've drank a mix of tap water and filtered water my whole life. Maybe people should check their eating habits, the diets their children have? Instead of running to some medication (chemical) to fix your problem, take a step back and see what's really going on, and make a change accordingly.

March 7, 2012 at 08:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Stacey

If you eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables (organic and non-organic) your body will have all the flouride it needs. Unfortunately, some people cannot afford to purchase produce and then you have some who refuse to eat it; as a result, the water is supplemented with chemicals that can be deadly to those people who do not need supplementation.

March 7, 2012 at 08:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Beth

It is truly disheartening to see these comments. I am truly sad that so many people are so comfortable being lied to. I can only think that the American education sytem has failed. People cannot think for themselves. There is a boogeyman in every closet. Pitiful, truly pitiful. But it is America. If I want my kids teeth to be healthy, I can be sure they get enough fluoride. There are no pills for what you have. No anger, just pity.

March 7, 2012 at 09:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Myto Senseworth

@ Beth...Looks like the education system is working to me. You were brainwashed into believing that an overdose of fluoride is good for you.........Are we smarter that a 5th grader??

March 7, 2012 at 10:38 | Report abuse |
  34. Myto Senseworth

I think anybody that takes these(correct or incorrect) in pills, water or other delivery system are as bad as the people taking drugs on the streets. You just have legal pushers.....It's all poision. .It's all poison. If you take too much...guess what.....duuuuuu.

March 7, 2012 at 09:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Maggie

I know why this happened it is because there are too many pharmacists high on Oxycontin. I can't get one pain pill without having to go to the doctor and given the sniff test, but all pharmacists have easy access to them. They fill Rx's wrong all the time. My Mom used to have to count her Valium pills every time she got home because some, about 10, were always missing. She also got ear drops once instead of eye drops. Don't ever, ever trust your pharmacist. Always check your pills with the pictures on-line, and count them. I , too, was once given the wrong drug, and it made me hallucinate, when I went back to the doctor he told me that this was not the medicine that he prescribed to me. I was never so sick in my entire life. Don't ever, ever trust any pharmacy.

March 7, 2012 at 09:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Myto Senseworth

...oh...I almost forgot to say ..... Some drugs on the street are safe when compared to the pills the parents want to give their children (fluoride) and much safer than the pills the children were getting.

March 7, 2012 at 09:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Myto Senseworth

Don't forget that if you do get a cavity, there is a chance that your health professional will put MERCURY in tour teeth and recommend using FLUORIDES. It's hard to avoid the toxins in modern USA.

March 7, 2012 at 09:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. 3DoggieMom

I don't want to downplay the seriousness of this incident. I'm a pharmacist and this type of mix-up is very concerning, especially since it obviously involved someone either misfilling a tablet dispensing machine or some other kind of repackaging taking place either at that CVS pharmacy or at the regional repackaging center for CVS (yes... chain stores do this – or at least they did). So, I would have a lot of concern about the quality systems in place – or lack there of.

I am posting more because I am getting so tired of the lack of quality in on-line journalism and apparent absence of qualified editors. The lead for this story is a great example. Saying "Flouride pills switched for cancer drugs" describes an incident opposite of what happened. The correct way to frame it would be "Cancer drugs switch for fluoride pills". This is basic English composition 101.

Or maybe CNN is outsourcing it's story writing and editing.

Just sayin'.

March 7, 2012 at 10:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. 3DoggieMom

OK – before anyone jumps on me, I will admit that I have an error in my post (at least one – but I'm not getting paid to do this :-)). Meant to say that the story lead should have been "Cancer drugs switched for fluoride pills". Could even have been "Fluoride pills switched with cancer drugs" with the same meaning.

March 7, 2012 at 10:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Myto Senseworth

First we will need a health care system that promotes health instead of pushing drugs.

March 7, 2012 at 10:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Beth

Who said anything about an overdose of fluoride?? I happened to have studied the issue for over 20 years. I am and have always been willing to listen to both sides but the fluoride nay-sayers prey on emotions and keep coming up dry with their data. Just because someone posts something on the internet doesn' make it so. Old lesson. Learn it.

March 7, 2012 at 12:11 | Report abuse |
  41. sick n tired

Floride is a toxic industrial by product.

March 7, 2012 at 13:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Liv

I know others who have posted said the same thing... but I immediately was shocked to see why any child would need to prescribe fluoride. I avoid fluoride in water and toothpaste.... I just can't believe we are being duped into thinking that we need this toxin and we give it to our children in the drinking water and store bought water Fluoridated Water for Tots. I don't care if you don't believe the hype about it.... there's enough negative stuff out there to scare me away from it. I am also cavity free.

March 7, 2012 at 14:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Justme

I just love how people say that fluoride is so great because Webmd or the Mayo clinic website said so. I'm sure these are the same people that go on these sites to diagnose their own illness too.

March 8, 2012 at 06:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. pat

flouride is dangerous, just read the warning on your toothpaste tube. "If accidently swallowed call poison control immediately". what more proof do you need.

March 8, 2012 at 13:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Riboflavin

Sodium Fluoride: inorganic chemical compound, commonly used as a rat poison, basic ingredient in Prozac (FLUoxetene Hydrochloride) and Sarin Nerve Gas (Isopropyl-Methyl-Phosphoryl FLUORIDE), waste by-product of the nuclear and aluminum industries.

Calcium Fluoride: ionic compound of calcium and fluorine occurs naturally as the mineral "fluorite".

Guess which one is used in water supplies, toothpastes, and fluoride pills.

March 8, 2012 at 20:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Jack Bailie

Posters hebben de neiging om net als hun eigen activiteiten (lifestyle) te vergelijken met die welke door anderen.

May 31, 2013 at 16:28 | Report abuse | Reply