home
RSS
Finally for me, something clicked
February 11th, 2012

Finally for me, something clicked

Editor's Note: Glenn Keller from Burleson, Texas is one of seven CNN viewers selected to be a part of the Fit Nation Triathlon Challenge program.  Each athlete receives all the tools necessary to train for and compete in the Nautica Malibu Triathlon this September, alongside Dr. Sanjay Gupta.  The seven athletes met up this past weekend in Atlanta for the official kickoff of the program.

What clicked? That’s the question I have had to ask myself. What clicked to cause me to realize the importance of my personal health? What clicked to make me stop ignoring my most prized possession: me!

Every 3,000 miles, cars have to get an oil change and service. Every 15,000 miles, the same for my truck. When either starts to make a noise or runs funny, off to the shop they go. Every two weeks I have to make sure the lawn gets mowed. It’s hard to believe everything gets maintained except for me.

It’s not like 300 pounds snuck up on me. I saw it coming every time I stood in the mirror to brush my teeth and to shave. I saw it when clothes that once fit nicely begin to get to tight. I saw it when my waist went from a 32 to a 54. I saw it when climbing stairs became increasingly difficult and when I would be out of breath even on short walks from the parking lot to the front door of a store. But it never clicked. It didn’t seem to matter what I was doing to my health.

But then, something clicked. I know now that I can't continue down the path of unhealthy living and eating. I mean it!

I knew I meant it when we hiked Stone Mountain last Friday. During the ride to Stone Mountain, my leg was hurting so badly I could have cried. However, I was determined to make it to the top despite the pain. I fell behind the group, but April, one of the coaches, stayed with me every step of the way.

There were several times I could have turned around, but that was not part of the plan. I was maybe 100 feet from the top and hurting like you can’t even imagine. At that moment an elderly lady came up from behind me out of nowhere and said, “We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.” In that moment, something clicked, and I yelled "Philippians 4:13," that I was the head and not the tail, and that I was more than I conquer through Him that loves us.

I knew then that my victory was on the other side of my pain, but only if I didn’t let the pain stop me. It was moments later when I reached the top to the cheers of my teammates.

That day has made me think about the pains of life. Divorce, loss of a loved one, loss of a job, foreclosure or eviction can all be painful, but if we don’t let the pain stop us, we can find victory, peace, love and joy on the other side.

Thank God, it finally clicked!

1. @TriHardCarlos

Glenn, what a tremendous man of God and inspiration you are to me and the team! I am so very blessed and honored to know you as a friend, teammate and most importantly a brother in Christ!! Keep "clicking!!"

February 11, 2012 at 11:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Glenn

Brother I will never forget the day you laid hands on me and prayed for me right there in the hotel lobby. God Bless you and your family.

February 13, 2012 at 20:39 | Report abuse |
  2. Nancy Klinger

Glenn, your blog hit the spot with me. I NEVER miss a schedule oil change for my Volkswagen but I can always think of reasons not to take care of myself. YOUR click clicked with me. So proud of you.

February 11, 2012 at 21:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Glenn

I'm equally prooud of you and the rest of the team. So proud to be associated with you guys.

February 13, 2012 at 20:38 | Report abuse |
    • Sweetyangel

This needs to be passed on and on. Which I will start it with sahring it with my list of friend & family and it will grow. I am old enough to know first hand how our soldiers were treated when we came home from Vietnam and the news media did that to them .lets not repeat history. God knows too, and lets all pray for our country and the men and women that protect our freedom and help those that need the same freedom. This video shows just that, with no questiion in my mind. (God bless ALL). This has inspired me to write our local media and bring this to there attention also. Thanks for the true word

April 9, 2012 at 06:32 | Report abuse |
  3. bigedesq

Glenn,
    Your comparison of vehicle maintenance to the importance of maintaining our bodies is great. Thanks for sharing your reasoning and for the Philipians 4:13 story and the broader message . I pray that "all things work together well" for you.

February 11, 2012 at 23:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Glenn

Please continue to pray for me. I know with prayer and some very hard work God is going to see me through.

February 13, 2012 at 20:41 | Report abuse |
    • glenn c keller

bigedesq just came back to let you know I was able to cross the finish line at my first Triathlon yesterday

September 17, 2012 at 08:12 | Report abuse |
  4. Glenn

What an inspiration you are. Stay strong, my friend. I'm training for my third 1/2 marathon (all in the past year and I'm 40) and when it gets hard, I pray for Jesus to make his presence known to me. And guess what? He ALWAYS does. By a ray of sunlight in a cloud-covered sky, a deer crossing my path, a song that plays on my music list. You can do this, Glenn. You know it. I know it. God knows it. And we are so proud of you!

Can't wait to follow the rest of your journey.

February 13, 2012 at 08:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Glenn

Thank you so much for your encouragement and I believe we are going to make it by the grace of God.

February 13, 2012 at 20:37 | Report abuse |
    • glenn c keller

To God be the glory I was able to cross the finishline yesterday at my first Triathlon

September 17, 2012 at 08:13 | Report abuse |
  5. Matt Harris

Glenn, I'm really impressed by the amount of work you're putting into this program and glad that you've realized what a great and deserving person you are to enjoy a healthy life. You also have a talent for telling your story and I'm looking forward to reading more entries. Good luck to you!

February 13, 2012 at 19:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Glenn

Matt I can only get out of it what I put into it. I plan to put my whole heart into it. I feel like if I wasn't going to do that of all the people that submitted videos there is someone that would have put there whole heart in it. So in all fairness I need to work as hard as I can and stay commited and encouragement like you offered helps a great deal while on this journey. Glad to have you along.

February 13, 2012 at 20:44 | Report abuse |
    • glenn c keller

Matt I just came back to let you know I was able to cross the finish line at my first Triathlon and to thank you for your support.

September 17, 2012 at 08:14 | Report abuse |
  6. TravelCenters of America - TA/Petro

You really are an inspiration, Glenn! The most important thing here is probably to enjoy the journey! So much to learn along the way to a healthy life - not just about food and exercise, but about yourself! We are very happy to be a part of this and here to help you.

February 16, 2012 at 11:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Glenn

I sppreciate your, help, encouragement and support. This is a life changing journey and thanks for joining me on it.

February 19, 2012 at 15:32 | Report abuse |
    • glenn c keller

You guys have been amazing and I plan to work with you how every I can to further this cause. You may know by now that I cross the finish line yesterday

September 17, 2012 at 08:16 | Report abuse |
  7. Angela Cross Harvey

Uncle Glenn,
    I am so proud of you! Continue to press forward toward your goals. You are such an inspiration to me!
    Love you!!!
    Angela

February 17, 2012 at 09:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Glenn

Thank you so much Angela it means alot to me and I love you too!!!

February 19, 2012 at 15:35 | Report abuse |
    • glenn c keller

Anglea you may know by now but I was able to cross the finish line yesterday. To God be the glory

September 17, 2012 at 08:17 | Report abuse |
  8. Essie

Good luck with your triathlon. I'm a bus driver and my friend laughed at me when I said I wanted to be in a triathlon. I wish I lived in your state so I can have a workout buddy. I know God will be with you all the way and I will be praying for you.

March 8, 2012 at 13:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • glenn c keller

I get around Essie so you still may have a work out buddy. I know you can do it because I finished my first Triathlon yesterday.

September 17, 2012 at 08:19 | Report abuse |
  9. Alan Armesto

Hi Glenn. I'm pulling for you on your Triathalon. Hey,us Burleson Guys have to stick together. Much luck,fun and take care.

March 21, 2012 at 02:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • glenn c keller

Thanks so much Alan and just came back to let you know I was able to come acorss the finish line yesterday.

September 17, 2012 at 08:20 | Report abuse |
  10. sonja

Glenn

Just found your blog. I am pulling for you and I know you will make it. That's right, you are the head and not the tail–the top and not the bottom, and you can and will get to your victory. Your struggles and your glory will be an inspiration to millions of people!!

April 3, 2012 at 08:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • glenn c keller

Sonja thank you so much and I thought you might want to know that I cross the finish line yesterday at my first Triathlon.

September 17, 2012 at 08:21 | Report abuse |