home
RSS
What the Yuck: Paralyzing hickeys
February 5th, 2012

What the Yuck: Paralyzing hickeys

Q: I read about a woman who got a hickey that led to a stroke that partially paralyzed her! How is that possible?

A: Crazy, right? But it can happen.

A hickey is really nothing more than a bruise that occurs when the force of someone sucking on your neck is strong enough to rupture superficial blood vessels.

In the case that was in the news, it seems that the hickey was located near a major artery, and the suction was tremendous enough to create a blood clot which led to the stroke.

Honestly, though, your chances of getting a life-threatening hickey are extremely small (unless, perhaps, you’re dating a vampire).

Copyright Health Magazine 2011

1. Portland tony

A hickey is a man's brand..Suggest he suck on something less obvious.

February 6, 2012 at 10:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Americal69

naw it's a girls brand. they can't just pee on ya you know.

February 8, 2012 at 13:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mr. Turdstool

Do you need me to clean the turds from your lawn...because I shtting all over you!

So funny B^)

February 13, 2012 at 15:52 | Report abuse |
    • Prasad

Wow. Great story, William: clear, precise witring, with measured insight and a powerful sense of place.I tripped on the names a couple of times toward the middle. There's no easy way around that, I know. In similar situations in the past, I've tried using labels (especially visual ones) to stand in for (and alongside) the names. That sometimes makes it easier on the reader.

April 9, 2012 at 04:27 | Report abuse |
    • Rodrigo

Remember that the concrete rirraebs are just there for the pilot project. They will be removed if the city goes ahead with the lanes. It is also important to remember that speed was not one of the reasons for implementing this plan. It was to provide a safe and car free way across the core. Not a Queensway for bikes. You probably can go faster down Slater or Albert if that suits you. Cars on the left of me, turning right while I am going straight, scare the heck out of me this hasn't changed. I think, however, that the presence of the lanes may make drivers expect cyclists more. And the two step left is slower but also safer. I can imagine the comments if they had not implemented the launch pads. people would be complaining about how dangerous it is to make a left turn. Growing pains, but I think we will all get used to it.

April 14, 2012 at 12:42 | Report abuse |
  3. Mr. Turdstool

Now, that's a SUCKY WAY TO DIE!

I am soooooooooooooooooooo funny! I know you are chucking. Your little squeels of joy excite me!

February 13, 2012 at 15:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Jessi

It would keep the sun up even later in the west Yes, that's what I meant considering the fact that China only has one time zone.Besides, I think part of the oeasrn China implemented DST during 1980s was because China had a good rapport with U.S. at the time, and she wanted to learn this trick from her strategic partner .

April 8, 2012 at 15:49 | Report abuse | Reply