home
RSS
Study: Fewer abortions worldwide; increase in unsafe abortions
January 18th, 2012

Study: Fewer abortions worldwide; increase in unsafe abortions

A new study finds that although abortion rates around the world have leveled off, unsafe abortions across the globe continue to rise.

Researchers noted between 1995 and 2003 the abortion rate per 1,000 women between the ages of 15 to 44 dropped from the 35 to 29 worldwide. But in 2008 the global abortion rate remained the same at about 28 per every 1,000 women.

Yet alarmingly, researchers say the proportion of abortions thought to be unsafe rose from 44%  in 1995 to 49% in 2008.  The study is published in The Lancet.

According to study authors, an unsafe abortion is defined by the World Health Organization as a procedure for terminating a pregnancy that is performed by an individual lacking the necessary training or performed in an environment that is not up to minimal medical standards. Researchers took their data from abortion surveys, official worldwide statistics, hospital records and other published reports.

“These latest figures are deeply disturbing," noted Dr. Richard Horton, Editor of The Lancet, "The progress made in the 1990s is now in reverse. Promoting and implementing policies to reduce the number of abortions is now an urgent priority for all countries and for global health agencies, such as WHO. Condemning, stigmatizing, and criminalizing abortion are cruel and failed strategies. It's time for a public health approach that emphasizes reducing harm – and that means more liberal abortion laws, " Horton continued.

The study also found about 78% of all abortions took place in the developing world in 1995. That number increased to 86% by 2008, even though the number of women of childbearing age in those countries rose more slowly.

And even though the abortion rate has declined over the years, the study found there were 2.2 million more abortions in 2008 (43.8 million) compared with 2003 (41.6 million).

Study authors believe the changes in abortion rates between 1995 and 2008 coincide with a lack of modern contraceptive methods available to women worldwide. They also noted family planning services don't seem to be keeping up with the increasing demand by people across the globe who want to have smaller families and therefore better control of the timing of births.

1. lunchbreaker

Hosea 13:16
    ...their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Even God condones the killing of the unborn.

January 19, 2012 at 11:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jen

Really? It sounds like he's all in favor, by that passage. In fact, it sounds like he's the instigator. Unless, of course, I'm taking a Bible quote out of context, which I'm sure no one ever does.

January 19, 2012 at 11:15 | Report abuse |
    • Observer

There's more in the Bible to support abortion than to oppose it.

January 19, 2012 at 11:18 | Report abuse |
    • The Truth

The CORRECT verse goes:

Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

January 19, 2012 at 11:22 | Report abuse |
    • VinoBianco

who cares what the bible says? use your head – the more restrictive abortion laws the more unsafe abortion = more death.

January 19, 2012 at 11:22 | Report abuse |
    • CatastropheCathy

I don't care what you interpret from the bible. It's a personal choice. If you don't like it then encourage knowledge of how to prevent pregnancy including the morning after pill. So many people seem to be against sharing this information.

January 19, 2012 at 11:26 | Report abuse |
    • VinoBianco

your god sounds horrible.

January 19, 2012 at 11:26 | Report abuse |
    • kacey

Not everyone is religious, or follows the bible. You can't base a government law that is for ALL the people off beliefs based from religion held by SOME of the people. Seriously what has happened to separation of state and church.

January 19, 2012 at 11:47 | Report abuse |
    • Lee

That verse you quote is prophecing what wicked people will do prior to the end of the world.

January 19, 2012 at 11:48 | Report abuse |
    • thes33k3r

Are all of you crazy? The word condone means to support (the opposite of condemn). lunchbreaker's post is a criticism of the imaginary god of the buybull.

January 19, 2012 at 12:15 | Report abuse |
    • pro-LIFE

God has reason to destroy us all. For we have all rebelled against God by sinning, as it says earlier in verse 16.

God clearly values the life of humans even before conception.

Jeremiah 1:4-5 "Now the word of the Lord came to me, saying, 'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you...' "

Isaiah 44:24 "Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb: 'I am the Lord, who made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth by myself"

Psalm 139:13-16 "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, everyone of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them."

January 19, 2012 at 16:19 | Report abuse |
    • bankerlady

Any time religion comes up, you can count on a few people pulling scripture entirely out of context and using it to "demonstrate" a point. Plucking a line out of ANY book and using it to define the whole thing, whether it's the Bible or Gone With the Wind, is incredibly ignorant. That verse (that whole chapter, for that matter) has nothing whatsoever to do with abortion. Or God-sanctioned infanticide, as those of you who are clearly reading it for the first time and instantly blindy accepting it seem to think.

Interestingly, it is about how a nation without morals will destroy itself. In that way, it's quite applicable to this conversation.

January 19, 2012 at 17:05 | Report abuse |
    • Ummmmm

So what? If you won't support the progeny of women without means, then at least support their right to terminate a pregnancy and the organizations who provide such services.

If you won't, you'll get what you deserve.

January 19, 2012 at 18:50 | Report abuse |
    • bankerlady

I think you responded to the wrong part of this thread. But I'll bite.

If women don't have means to support their own progeny, they need to stop doing the one thing that creates said progeny. I'm not willing to support murder. If you'll allow your government footing all your bills, covering your healthcare, and putting food in your mouth via other people's income, what's wrong with letting the government tell you what to do with your body? The "my body, my rights" chant kinda loses its glow when you're letting others support that body in every other way.

January 19, 2012 at 19:02 | Report abuse |
    • Ummmmm

You're an idiot, bl. You don't get to tell women on one hand that they cannot terminate a pregnancy and on the other that they are without support if they continue one.

Pick your battle, pick your nose. I don't care which.

January 19, 2012 at 19:27 | Report abuse |
    • bankerlady

Which statement is more idiotic?

1) Don't buy a house knowing fully well you can't afford it.

2) I'm going to buy a house I know fully well I can't afford, and when it comes time to pay the bill, I'll just burn it down because you can't make me be the adult I was pretending to be when I willingly took on this responsibility.

January 19, 2012 at 20:41 | Report abuse |
    • WhoDatJack

To you and all of the other losers who posted comments (pro and con) about this article – I'M SICK OF HEARING ABOUT ABORTION!! It sounds like that some of you should have been aborted to save the world from your opinions and this useless message board.

January 19, 2012 at 21:22 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, right. Because pregnancy and home ownership are EXACTLY alike.

NOT.

January 19, 2012 at 22:11 | Report abuse |
    • bankerlady

Why would anybody click on an article about abortion and then complain that people are discussing....abortion?

Anyway, you're right that pregnancy and home ownership aren't exactly alike, and had there not been the need for an excruciatingly simple analogy, I wouldn't have used one.

January 20, 2012 at 00:10 | Report abuse |
    • Alla

Idiot, you're told that illegal abortions are part of conservative society. Get liberated, you dummy.

January 20, 2012 at 15:12 | Report abuse |
    • AmusedbyYourBehavior

When a living organism's heart is beating, that means it is "alive," which means it has life. When a living organism heart's is not beating, it is not alive. If an unborn baby's heart begins beating at 18 days, what does that make it? Alive or dead. When it's painfully cut into pieces and pulled out of the womb, is it's heart still beating? If not, that means it is now DEAD- without life! Hence, the taking of the life of an innocent fetus occurred when the heart stopped beating! If your heart is beating, you are alive! Greater usage of contraceptives should be supported, rather than abortion. Also, if you'll do your research, studies have shown that, at one point in utero, the unborn fetus begins to show that it can feel sensations, such as pain. What do you think it's feeling when it gets cut up alive? An informed individual can assess whether this is cruel or not, wrong or right....

January 20, 2012 at 16:25 | Report abuse |
    • Joe Smith

I love religion in that you can find a verse that might be close and then keep throwing more out as if the verses make sense. However, you're ignoring 5,000 other verses that might stick. It is like nostradomus, although 99% of his predictions did nothing, 1 -2 might have come true and thus he is true.

I am a big fan of abortion for the simple fact we just have too many people already, including unwanted and orphaned children in need of adoption. However, humans just feel the need to procreate which is really our undoing. Further, families these days are just so dysfunctional with both parents working, etc. that we need to really begin to encourage people not to have kids.

January 21, 2012 at 12:20 | Report abuse |
    • b4bigbang

So the author is basically saying let's have even more access to legal abortions worldwide?
      Oh almighty wymen who want your children aborted, we must obey, for you are the noble victims of the evil White Man's World!
      Ohhhh, booo hoooo!!!
      (Insert raspberry here).

January 21, 2012 at 21:29 | Report abuse |
    • Jabberwocky

b4, what part of this are you unable to grasp? A fetus is alive. It does not have any legal rights. Women do, and those rights include the right to choose. Don't like it? Too damn bad for you.

January 21, 2012 at 22:03 | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Sounds like most people on this post need to get a life and let other people live their own.

Also, bankerlady you sound as if you know absolutely nothing about human nature. Oh well, you're irresponsible so I'm not helping you or that baby I forced you to have. Dumb as dumb can be.

January 23, 2012 at 00:33 | Report abuse |
  2. nakia147

It's amazing all the so called "Christians", that are up in arms about the children being aborted, but when the child gets here they are against the government implimenting programs to help those who are poor taking care of their children. You wanna force me to have my child but then turn your back on me and say "too bad it was your choice to get pregnant YOU take care of your child". Whatever happen to assisting your neighbor in need? Feeding the hungry and the unable? The hypocrisy in your Christianty is astounding. If you all are Christians I think i'll be safer with the heathens!

January 19, 2012 at 11:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CatastropheCathy

I don't care how many abortions you have. Just don't expect me to support your child.

January 19, 2012 at 11:23 | Report abuse |
    • Stooo (London)

I think that's a fair point – but it only really works in the US, where so many Christians are so enamoured with right-wing politics. In other parts of the world, the picture is very different.

January 19, 2012 at 11:34 | Report abuse |
    • Consequence

44 million children never to be born, nor enjoy life. that is a somber figure. Our violence toward the unborn seems a heavy price to pay for whatever gain a mom gets out of this.

January 19, 2012 at 11:56 | Report abuse |
    • name

in other parts of the world, the picture is far more ironic. US religious interests have ACTIVELY pushed back against proper birth control and STD prevention aid being sent to the developing world. That's the reason that family planning is so scarce in the global south. The US during the Clinton administration tried to help address the AIDS crisis in Africa, and had to cave to the pressure of religious groups who wanted abstinence-only education overseas. In both Mississippi and in Africa, this policy has (as predicted) resulted in disaster: rising cases of AIDS infections, unwanted pregnancies, and unsafe abortions.

All of this could have been prevented if prophylactics were allowed to be sent to nations in need of health education resources. WE prevented that from happening.

January 19, 2012 at 12:07 | Report abuse |
    • Leaf on the Wind

Consequence, it's stunning, truly stunning, that you believe a woman who aborts is gaining anything. You have no idea what that choice means to each individual woman who makes it. Please keep your ignorant (probably male) pie hole closed.

January 19, 2012 at 12:09 | Report abuse |
    • Bible Clown

"Please keep your ignorant pie hole closed." You first, please.

January 19, 2012 at 13:26 | Report abuse |
    • Rebecca

Get your laws off my body!!! If it's not your body, it's not your business. Take your self-righteous hypocritical views elsewhere.

January 19, 2012 at 15:37 | Report abuse |
    • Clarissa

That's an awfully broad generalization. I am aware that there are Christians who are very vocally against public assistance programs, but as with most generalizations it does not even show a quarter of the true picture of pro-life Christians.

January 19, 2012 at 16:49 | Report abuse |
    • bankerlady

There's no hypocrisy in not supporting something you believe to be murder. Seriously, why should anyone else be responsble for your children when you were the one who chose to do the one thing in the world that creates children?

That very clear logic aside, I think you grossly underestimate the amount of help (in money and in service) religious affiliations do give to charities and the needy. There's a world of difference between being charitable to the needy and expecting the government to foot the bill for every woman who mistakenly thought she was a responsible adult. These are such separate topics, I'm not sure why you even brought them up. Christians (genuine ones, anyway) are happy to help, but that doesn't mean it's up to us to raise your child when you were the one who put yourself in the position to have one.

January 19, 2012 at 18:30 | Report abuse |
    • Ummmmm

Well, banker lady, then support the right of women to choose. Fund Planned Parenthood.

January 19, 2012 at 18:47 | Report abuse |
    • bankerlady

If you're not going to contribute anything better than "Raise, clothe, and feed my child because -oops!- I'm not actually capable of having responsible sex, then I will kill the baby and it's your fault, not mine," quit following me around. These aren't vast logical leaps, here. I'm just saying accountability rests on the woman who chose to use potential procreation as a form of recreation.

January 19, 2012 at 19:10 | Report abuse |
    • Ummmmm

Then don't get in their way when they decide to terminate a pregnancy, you dumbazz. You aren't going to control what people do in the bedroom (or the backseat), so get over it. Either shut up and acknowledge that you don't have the right to tell others that they MUST give birth, or give them the financial support they require to raise the resulting progeny. Your choice, dip wad.

January 19, 2012 at 19:30 | Report abuse |
    • bankerlady

Are you capable of discussing grown-up politics without name-calling? I assure you, it's not boosting your credibility.

You're talking like the only two options for a woman are abortion or welfare. I'm suggesting prevention, personal accountability, and adapting to the situation you have created for yourself....without stopping a heart you allowed to start beating. You have yet to give any kind of reasonable explanation as to why anyone should be responisble for your choices.

January 19, 2012 at 20:29 | Report abuse |
    • Ummmmm

That's tough for you bl. No one is required to live by your ideals. Don't like it?

Suck it.

January 19, 2012 at 21:40 | Report abuse |
    • bankerlady

It's not tough for me to understand that there are a lot of people who think it's ok to foist their responsibilites onto other people. It is tough for me to understand why, but clearly we were raised with very different standards of what maturity is about.

For clarification,since you seem to be struggling a little, I haven't said anything about you being "required" to live by anyone's ideals. I get it, you're independent and rebellious and you'll do what you want, blahblahblah, ok. But is it so much to ask that people hold themselves to a higher standard? You're basically saying "leave me alone to make my own choices but sign my welfare check when I can't handle the aftermath of those choices. Do it or I'll kill this kid, because you can't require me to actually be the adult I was masquerading as." That doesn't seem very progressive to me.

January 20, 2012 at 00:36 | Report abuse |
    • MomOf3

Bankerlady – you seem to struggle under the misconception that every women who gives birth to an unplanned pregnancy asks for a government handout to support the child. And, by the way, not every unplanned preganancy is the result of a broken condom or a 'drunken-evening'. It's probable that irresponsibility is the one of the factors for unplanned pregnancies, but birth control isn't 100% effective and rape and molestations have to be factored in, too. Right-conservative activists don't want abortion or prevention for ANY reason.

If you're for promoting prevention of pregnancies, then why wouldn't you support Planned Parenthood? They aren't there just to give abortions to the poor or unplanning adults who seek them, but they also give free birth control, OB-GYN exams and counseling and options for the unplanned pregnancy. You're right, people need to take responsibility for their actions, but now the right-conservative activists have to take responsibility for the increase in unsafe abortions that are performed and the number of women who die, as a result, as well as the rise in AIDS deaths in developing countries.

January 20, 2012 at 12:23 | Report abuse |
    • JenLaw

Oh just quit with that "what about the kids already here" crap. I work at the Courts, I see the awful foster care system, I work in food shelters, volunteering, I mentor, I give to the homeless and I take in kids in transition. It does not change the fact that abortion is a crime of humanity – it's not a religious matter.

January 20, 2012 at 14:18 | Report abuse |
    • Joe Smith

TO SOMBER – 44 million lives lost to abortion but how many more due to starvation, over-population, neglect, hunger. I would rather have my plug pulled as a fetus then die in the 100+ degree heat of africa....

Why don't you sell your house and do something instead of just sitting on a message board preaching.... Typical pulpit pounder.

January 21, 2012 at 12:23 | Report abuse |
  3. Teresa Griffith

A fertilized human egg is a "life" (if it wasn't – it couldn't grow). This egg in the mother's body required a male sperm to fertilize. Why then does that father have absolutely no rights whatsoever in "its" future life? That life is not a "potential" human life (if not destroyed it will either be a baby boy or baby girl in due course). I note that if this child is "wanted" by the mother everyone celebrates, if not, it is an object that can be destroyed as an intrusion in the mother's life. Shame on those who fight like mad for a criminal condemned to death for a horrible crime like murder, and in the same breath are willing to have a truly innocent human being murdered, yes even up until the time of his or her birth.

January 19, 2012 at 11:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • VinoBianco

I think we should work toward reducing the amount of unwated children that are born, and children that are born into conditions where they cannot be properly provided for and taken care of. what does that mean to you?

January 19, 2012 at 11:26 | Report abuse |
    • Balls McGhee

so the next time i eat two fried eggs, i'm going to say i ate fried chicken...

January 19, 2012 at 11:29 | Report abuse |
    • Consequence

I think Vino belongs to the Better World School of the Schutzstaffel.

January 19, 2012 at 12:00 | Report abuse |
    • Tex71

If I cut off my finger and keep it in a jar of oxygenated nutrient solution so that its cells keep growing and replenishing themselves, will you argue that it is a person? Life and personhood are not the same thing, no mater how wonderfully simple it would be to believe they are.

January 19, 2012 at 12:03 | Report abuse |
    • ac

A chicken egg is not fertilized. Nice try but even chickens are not human.

January 19, 2012 at 12:06 | Report abuse |
    • my body my choice

theresa, if something growing is the definition of life then a cancerous tumor must be life too?? my definition of life is something that can breath, think, eat, learn and make decisions for itself eventually. now that may not be yours but please give me the right to choose for myself and you can do so for yourself. if you want to help or assist some woman with her children please do so, but otherwise you should mind your own business and your own family and your own body.

January 19, 2012 at 12:06 | Report abuse |
    • ac

Niether growth nor parts are life, while living, because a finger or a tumor correlate to an unrepeatable human person. Only a fertilzed zygote compounds to be a human person. Thus, life does not equal personhood, aggreed, only human life = human person.

January 19, 2012 at 12:11 | Report abuse |
    • MashaSobaka

Men have no abortion rights because it's not their body that's being affected. Period.

January 19, 2012 at 16:37 | Report abuse |
    • Desiree

What's it matter? You do you TG and let everyone else be cause you sound like a damn fool, we dont need your wikipedized education. and the next time I'm gettin an abortion I'll be sure to send all teh pardoned death row inmates to your bedroom.

January 19, 2012 at 16:48 | Report abuse |
    • Eyewatch

Just because it "grows" doesn't mean it's a life, you dimwit. And just because it's living doesn't mean it has any rights that trump mine. Suppose a woman is pregnant and a doctor determines that the fetus requires surgery before birth. (I'd use the term "in utero", but I doubt you'd understand the meaning). If a fetus has equal rights, what happens? Suppose the woman doesn't WANT to have the surgery? Would she be forced to do so? Under what other scenario are people forced to undergo medical procedures against their will?

Really, you are dumb.

January 19, 2012 at 18:23 | Report abuse |
    • Kate

A fertilized egg is actually a parasite.

Parasite: An organism that lives in or on and takes its nourishment from another organism. A parasite cannot live independently.

Until 25 weeks of gestation, a embryo/fetus is really just a parasite.

January 20, 2012 at 07:01 | Report abuse |
    • KJC

To Tex71 – if allowed to continue growing, your finger will become....a bigger finger. If allowed to continue growing, a mini baby will become a bigger baby. Society would not call it murder if someone broke into your house and chopped of your finger, but we would call it murder if someone broke into your house and killed your 3 week old baby. Therefore, disallowing your finger to grow is different than disallowing a baby to grow.

January 20, 2012 at 11:55 | Report abuse |
    • KJC

Dear "My Body My Choice." You defined life the following way: "my definition of life is something that can breath, think, eat, learn and make decisions for itself eventually." So you are saying that a zygote will not "eventually" do those things if not aborted? Last I heard, the baby will do all of that and more....

January 20, 2012 at 11:58 | Report abuse |
    • KJC

Dear Kate, if you leave a 3 week old born baby by itself, it will die. That is because it is 100% dependent on others to provide care and nourishment. This is also true of some of the elderly or those with severe disabilities. All of these people are "parasites," yet we recognize that they have inherent worth because they are people regardless. If someone must be independent/provide their own nourishment to be of value, then who else shoud we kill?

January 20, 2012 at 12:03 | Report abuse |
    • Alla

Embryo is not a life, it's just a shell for human life. Human life comes after woman gives a birth. Get your head straight and don't get paranoid about removing an emply shell from a woman's body. Woman is the one to determine if she desires to give a new life, support it, raise it and dedicate her entire life to it. Not a single conservative can control us.

January 20, 2012 at 15:22 | Report abuse |
    • Alla

Mold, infection, yeast, cancer cells – all grow just fine. Are they also humans?

January 20, 2012 at 15:26 | Report abuse |
    • Joe Smith

It is only a life if it can survive outside the womb and a little mayo mixed with an egg does not start a life... Sorry.

Is the father has to carry the child in a body then he has rights.

Women who oppose abortion are anti-woman. Women are the ones that have to carry a child and should have the ability to make decision regarding their bodies. Sorry. The press, and religion, have fooled women thinking abortion is bad and killing but it is really a way for the state to make decisions about women bodies and I for one think there is not place for that in civilized society.

January 21, 2012 at 12:26 | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Get over yourself. It's not a life because it can't live outside the womb. By the way it's not YOUR womb we're talking about.

January 23, 2012 at 00:36 | Report abuse |
  4. 'Nother-Son-'O-Ursus

Re: "...These latest figures are deeply disturbing," noted Dr. Richard Horton, Editor of The Lancet, "The progress made in the 1990s is now in reverse. Promoting and implementing policies to reduce the number of abortions is now an urgent priority for all countries and for global health agencies, such as WHO. Condemning, stigmatizing, and criminalizing abortion are cruel and failed strategies. It's time for a public health approach that emphasizes reducing harm – and that means more liberal abortion laws, " Horton continued..."

It is NOT for the overtly-buggery-challenged Catholic church, nor the thrice-married Republican 'family values' candidate, Newt Leroy-Gingrich, (aka, 'Baron, Von Tiffany'), nor Rick 'Other-people's-bedroom-habits-obsess-me' Santorum, (aka, Goggle's 'Knight, Errant'), Nor for the Delawarean-Senatorial-Not!, Onanism-obsessed' Christine, ‘I touch myself' O'Donnell to decide these matters for anyone but themselves...
    And, like the clericals over at ‘N.A.M.B.L.A., Tiber River’, we've all seen what a tremendous mess they've made of the sexual-portions of their shallow, pietistic-wallowing lives, haven't we??!

January 19, 2012 at 11:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. VinoBianco

Why are we going backwards? We should be progressing, moving forward to better regulated and liberal abortion laws so women don't take drastic measures, or even worse, have a child they don't want or don't have the proper means to take care of. Wake up, America, it's 2012.

January 19, 2012 at 11:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Auerjill

Bravo, you said it all.

January 19, 2012 at 22:46 | Report abuse |
  6. Anchorite

Well of course abortion rates dropped, the leftists are taking power. Everyone knows that when you elect folks that believe in healthcare for new moms, free healthcare for children, and job creation so people can afford to marry, that abortions go down. When you elect folks that just want to steal all the tax money, give it to corporations, and make laws outlawing abortion and birth control, rates go up. Even Catholic priests have acknowledged this.

January 19, 2012 at 11:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Peter E

Statistically, after fertilization (when some say 'life begins') about 3 out of every 4 fertilized eggs never succesfully implant themselves in the womb, but are spontaneously aborted by the woman's body within the first week of 'pregnancy'.
    Hence most women who ever tried to get pregnant must be serial killers...

January 19, 2012 at 11:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ac

There are many physicians that dispute your "statistics" or include the effect of fertilization while using or coming off of contraceptives.

January 19, 2012 at 12:20 | Report abuse |
    • kyle

60-70% of fertilized eggs never make it to birth, either spontaneously abort, or don't implant. Either way you look at it if you believe life begins at conception then god is the biggest abortionist ever.

January 21, 2012 at 14:09 | Report abuse |
  8. ch

Here is something to think about in the 6 years of the Iraq war between 250K and 1M people died. In 2008, according to the article, over 43M people where murdered (or aborted)

January 19, 2012 at 11:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. No Chance

I honesty beleive there is no chance for America as it stands. We need to divide our nation into two groups. Call them whatever you want. One side more conservative one side more liberal and deal with it. We have no hope to work together.

January 19, 2012 at 11:59 | Report abuse | Reply

Just fence off Nebraska.

January 19, 2012 at 18:18 | Report abuse |
    • Eyewatch

Oh, yeah, and Kansas, too. Those people are lunatics.

January 19, 2012 at 18:18 | Report abuse |
  10. JohnW

If Republicans get their way, the number of unsafe abortions will rise. Making something illegal doesn't stop it from happening. You would think they could look at Prohibition, or even current drug laws, and see that.

January 19, 2012 at 12:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Nathan

It would be helpful to have a more complete set of numbers–including raw numbers and not just proportions. This "report" is obviously an argument for making modern, professional abortions more widely available to people who ordinarily cannot afford them–at some cost to people who ordinarily can. This argument needs to be made and heard and considered. But we can't even begin to consider it carefully and fairly without a more complete set of numbers. raw numbers, which are not already selected and tailored for the argument. That would be true reporting.

January 19, 2012 at 12:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom

Why do we need any kind of numbers. If some wants an abortion they should be able to safetly get it, period.

January 23, 2012 at 00:39 | Report abuse |
  12. trigtwit palin... America's favorite tard baby

If Sarah Palin had swallowed instead, we wouldn't have Trig as the poster child for abortion.

January 19, 2012 at 12:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. neoritter

"...Promoting and implementing policies to reduce the number of abortions is now an urgent priority for all countries and for global health agencies, such as WHO. Condemning, stigmatizing, and criminalizing abortion are cruel and failed strategies. It's time for a public health approach that emphasizes reducing harm – and that means more liberal abortion laws, "

Non-sequitor, move along.

January 19, 2012 at 12:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. JR

Instead of abortions maybe they should hand out quarters for women to hold between their knees.

January 19, 2012 at 12:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Eyewatch

Maybe they should hand out safety pins so men could keep it in their pants.

January 19, 2012 at 18:17 | Report abuse |
  15. Primewonk

I guess I'm confused about a couple points, and maybe some of the fundamentalists can help me out.

Up to 50% of all pregnancies end in spontaneous abortion – most before the woman even knows she was preggers. Your version of good claims both omnipotence and omniscience. Thus, he is directly responsible for all these abortions. Why are you fundies not demanding he stop this?

Also, from what I remember, from 2000 to 2006 republicans controlled the White House, Senate, House, and Supreme Court. And it wasn't Goldwater republicans – it was rightwing, talibangelical fundamentalist nuts like Santorum, Bush, etc. It was the perfect storm. Why didn't you nutters ban abortion then?

January 19, 2012 at 12:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. ElaineV

All abortions are "unsafe" for the baby!

January 19, 2012 at 12:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Eyewatch

There aren't any "babies" involved. "Baby" is a familiar term for "infant". An infant is already born. Babies are not aborted; fetuses and embryos are.

Women who do not wish to remain pregnant are not required to simply because you disapprove.

January 19, 2012 at 18:16 | Report abuse |
    • ElaineV

Excuse me – but it is a "baby' I'm 38 weeks pregnant right now with a BABY. Just because a mother doesn't want to go through pregancy, labor, or raising a child doens't change the fact that it's a baby. There are plenty of options out there for support for mothers in crisis – many of which are supported by religious groups.

January 19, 2012 at 22:09 | Report abuse |
    • i call BS

No, it isn't. Look up the definition, you moron. It's not a "baby" or an "infant" until birth. You can yammer all you want about your FEEELINGS, but it won't change a thing.

January 19, 2012 at 22:26 | Report abuse |
    • i call BS

And really, dear, get over yourself. You aren't unique. Millions, even billions of women give birth. You're not that special.

The fact is that it's not, by definition, a 'baby' until birth, and anyone who can't figure that out either has no access to a dictionary or is illiterate.

A baby is born. An infant is born. A fetus is not.

January 19, 2012 at 22:30 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"Excuse me"?

Did you burp? Or fa rt?

January 19, 2012 at 22:33 | Report abuse |
  17. bankerlady

I'm stunned by all the hate I see here, and sad that so many false Christians have given the whole group such a bad name. I'm a Christian, and while I am pro-life, I think the focus needs to be on preventing unwanted pregnanices. If both sides would channel all this hateful aggression into working together on that front, we would see amazing changes. We all need to use some logic, guys. People aren't just going to stop having sex because someone else says to, and abortions won't stop just by making it illegal again. They have existed as long as pregnancy has existed. I don't think anyone in their right mind is "pro-abortion." I think we can all agree that it's better to prevent than abort. Our solution is in free, comprehensive sex education and readily available contraceptives. Not judgemental behavior, not taxpayer-funded abortions, and certainly not name-calling and immature generalization.

January 19, 2012 at 13:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Primewonk

But the talibangelicals try and block real sex ed. And look at Santorum's comments on birth control.

January 19, 2012 at 13:19 | Report abuse |
    • Bible Clown

"so many false Christians have given the whole group such a bad name" Would you like to sort that out for yourselves, or should we propose legislation? We could issue 'Christianity licenses' and not give them to people whose Christian beliefs were too different from Roman Catholicism, and then you could say for sure if someone was or was not a Christian.

January 19, 2012 at 13:56 | Report abuse |
    • bankerlady

Well, neither of you understood my point about immaturity and intolerance getting us nowhere, but you both demonstrated it brilliantly. Thanks for contributing.

January 19, 2012 at 14:44 | Report abuse |
    • Hate the religious right...

I wish more Christians felt the way you do. Unfortunately, there are many who feel that women should have access to birth control or emergency contraception.

January 19, 2012 at 16:35 | Report abuse |
    • ElaineV

very true.

January 19, 2012 at 22:10 | Report abuse |
    • Bzzz

bankerlady=idiot.

January 19, 2012 at 23:37 | Report abuse |
    • bankerlady

Care to elaborate? By all means, point out the idiocy in what I said.

January 20, 2012 at 00:42 | Report abuse |
  18. Hatixhe

World population is growing so fast and I don't think are Christians who are having most of the children.

January 19, 2012 at 13:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Good question

It may not be Christians, but Athiests/ Agnostics are having the fewest children by far. We're too educated and resposible to have a dog in this fight.

January 19, 2012 at 14:19 | Report abuse |
  19. Teresa Griffith

In reply to all those who think it is perfectly all right to terminate a pregnancy for any reason the woman wishes, I wonder how many of you regret that your own mother did not make that choice!!!! Just think about that – had that been the case you would not be spewing venom on those that believe that all INNOCENT HUMAN life is precious!

January 19, 2012 at 13:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • @Teresa

If my mother had had an abortion, I would be unable to comment on this site. If she had, I'd be none the wiser.

January 19, 2012 at 14:17 | Report abuse |
    • Eyewatch

@Teresa the dufus: I hate to break it to you, sweet cheeks, but MY mother was pro-choice. She never had an abortion. I am pro-choice. I've never had one either.

You're an idiot if you think that only those who have had abortions support the right of women to choose.

Figure it out, lame-brain.

January 19, 2012 at 19:59 | Report abuse |
    • James

If my mom had aborted me, how would I ever know? What difference would it have made? I wouldn't be here to complain or know what had been lost. So what? What if my egg had failed to implant and been ejected by her body?

January 20, 2012 at 19:32 | Report abuse |
  20. Juan Valdez

I would love to know who is out there polling these mothers in 3rd world countries, and how CNN's sources are coming up with the numbers regarding "unsafe" abortions. I would think those abortions would be pretty hard to track. Looks like a poorly researched article.

January 19, 2012 at 14:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MashaSobaka

So...the fact that you don't know how they did it made it poorly-researched? My goodness. What astonishing power you have.

January 19, 2012 at 16:43 | Report abuse |
  21. Santorum on BC

“One of the things I will talk about, that no president has talked about before, is I think the dangers of contraception in this country.” And also, “Many of the Christian faith have said, well, that’s okay, contraception is okay. It’s not okay. It’s a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be.”
    Awesome. Elect this joker and watch your abortion rates skyrocket.

January 19, 2012 at 14:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jabberwocky

I can only hope Santorum IS the nominee. A less-electable crazy never was. If he runs for the Repubs, Obama's a shoo-in.

January 22, 2012 at 17:25 | Report abuse |
  22. trigtwit palin... America's favorite tard baby

Look at me. I'm a tard baby. What kind of life do you think I'll have? I should have been aborted but my parents are out of touch evangelicals.

January 19, 2012 at 14:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • bankerlady

Making fun of entire religious groups AND people with developmental disabilities.

Please keep your poison to yourself.

January 19, 2012 at 14:49 | Report abuse |
    • trigtwit palin... America's favorite tard baby

Bachmann, Palin, Santorum... they are the poison.

January 19, 2012 at 15:16 | Report abuse |
    • bankerlady

I took troll-bait. My bad.

January 19, 2012 at 15:43 | Report abuse |
    • JenLaw

Troll much?

January 20, 2012 at 14:29 | Report abuse |
  23. flying flower

Abortion gives some women PTSD.
    And also, Pro-choicers please stop arguing in non sequiturs–saying things like "you can't tell me abortion is wrong because you're not an organ donor." "You can't tell me you don't approve of abortion unless you are adopting a child." Here's a simple illustration of this flawed thinking. Would you tell someone who says they are against war: "Yeah go ahead tell them they should stop bombing that village when those villagers are poor and you don't even plan on buying them groceries." You arguments, pro-choice people are so convoluted and so dishonestly constructed. Very lazy thinking. Please, try a little harder.

January 19, 2012 at 14:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MashaSobaka

More women are traumatized or killed by childbirth than by abortion. That's not an assumption...that's a medical fact. You cannot force a woman to go through with an unwanted pregnancy because you have no right to control the body of another human being. It is the woman's body that is going to be put through the medical condition we call pregnancy, not yours. Yes, we could claim that the fetus has equal rights, but a clump of cells that cannot survive outside of the womb just should not be given rights equal to that of a living, breathing human being that has cognitive capacity, that can feel pain, that can feel emotion, and, most importantly, is not 100% dependent upon a SPECIFIC human body for its survival. Newborns can be cared for by anyone with a bottle and a lot of patience. A fetus cannot survive outside the womb. Therefore its rights are trumped by those of the person whose body it is feeding off of to develop.

And PS – if the "pro-life" crowd wants to continue being called "pro-life" then it is going to have to consistently oppose war, the death penalty, and must become a much more rabid proponent of healthcare and education for the underprivileged. Until then, you're not pro-life. You're pro-gestation. Sorry.

January 19, 2012 at 16:42 | Report abuse |
    • flying flower

Mashasobaka–Are you saying more women are traumatized or killed by pregnancy than by abortion in the United States? Because if you are, I will argue against you. I know of noone who has been emotionally traumatized by giving birth. I know of several people who have been severely emotionally traumatized by abortion. I'm not talking about 3rd world countries where that point you have made is moot b/c there are few abortions in those countries but yes there is poor or nonexistent medical care for delivering babies (which is a SEPARATE issue). I am not saying women's bodies should be controlled. I am not for making 1st trimester abortion illegal. I am saying women should be warned about the risks of PTSD from having an abortion. And fittingly, you have closed your argument with a non sequitur. You are saying that people should not oppose abortion unless they support education for the underprivilaged. (Amongst other points you made–which were all non sequiturs). In no other issue is there such rampant distortion of logic used to try to trample the opposition's opinion. If I said to you "I am against poor children being denied vaccinations." Would it make sense for you to say "Until you support education for the underprivilaged you are not allowed to make that argument. You cannot call yourself pro-vaccination." No, you wouldn't. You cannot take something which you feel is loosely connected to your opinion (I am assuming you think that one cannot be on the side of wanting life to be born unless one also supports education for the poor) and try to justify your belief by trying to lasso some kind of peripheral concern of yours and using it to support your opinion about an ethical issue to which it is in NO way connected. And it is dishonest and very lazy thinking for you and all the other pro-choicers to use these non sequiturs to try diminish the opinions of others. To say that I am "pro-gestation" is your way of trying to villainize the pro-life position but it comes across as an absurd accusation. How can a person be for or against a natural biological process?? If I told you I am against euthanasia would you say "no, you are merely pro-breathing". I am not against the pro-choice side. I am telling the pro-choice side that it needs to compose some honest opinions which adhere to logic.

January 19, 2012 at 18:22 | Report abuse |
    • Eyewatch

flying flower, you're wrong. Abortion is safer than childbirth and a very large, recent study showed that women who have abortions are no more likely to suffer from mental illness than women who don't. Stop using spurious sources of information in your posts and you might have a chance of appearing intelligent.

January 19, 2012 at 18:33 | Report abuse |
    • Ummmmm

"Try a little harder"? Why don't you? flying flower, you're guilty of more intellectual laziness than a lot of other posters here. You think you have a point, but you can't even cite evidence to bolster your claims.

January 19, 2012 at 18:39 | Report abuse |
    • flyingflower

Eyewatch–you're wrong. I know people who have PTSD resulting from abortion. If that is a "spurious" source of informaiton, then I apologize. I think knowing someone and hearing firsthand about their suffering would mean something to you pro-choicers who care so much about women. If I tell you I know a woman who is suffering greatly from an abortion how is that "spurious" information?
      Ummmm-there is plenty of evidence to bolster my claims. Google PTSD from abortion. I don't think I was intellectually lazy to dismantle the non-sequiturs thrown out by pro-choicers. I'm not claiming to sound intelligent–it's not difficult to dismantle arguments that have no foundation and that do not incorporate logic. Any half-witted person could do that. All the more reason for you pro-choicers to get some better arguments. Your arguments are fulll of more holes than swiss cheese. I'd call them propaganda but they are so intellectually feeble I don't think they qualify.

January 19, 2012 at 19:56 | Report abuse |
    • Eyewatch

Your anecdotes do not equal proof. Statistics do. You lose.

January 19, 2012 at 20:00 | Report abuse |
    • flyingflower

Eyewatch–Get a clue. Any statistics you are looking at were put out by Planned Parenthood. They make money off abortions. Lots of money. And if you think they don't like making that money, you're wrong. There's other statistics out there if you're looking for the math.

January 19, 2012 at 20:05 | Report abuse |
    • Eyewatch

Grow a brain, you dimwit. Look it up. The study wasn't done by PP. If you are too stupid to figure that out, it's not my problem. Abortion is legal. It will remain so. Suck it up, buttercup.

January 19, 2012 at 21:26 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Gee, flyspots, have you actually LOOKED at the research? There was a very large study that showed abortion did not negatively impact the mental health of women. It wasn't done by PP or any other group that had a vested 'interest'. You could find it if you had the intellectual guts to do so, but I doubt you do.

Too bad. That would prove you're not interested in real science. Just in your own prejudiced view.

Quelle surprise, you little fraud.

January 19, 2012 at 21:55 | Report abuse |
    • Eyewatch

Well, ff, you claim you read the study. If so, where's your admission that you were wrong in making the statement that it was put out by PP?

Talk about being dishonest.

January 21, 2012 at 14:19 | Report abuse |
    • Mohammad

It would be nice if this topic didn't get so heated so ikucqly. Maybe if we could respectfully share opinions, even when they differ, we could understand each other's point of view better. Even if we never agree (but who knows, you might even change someone's view)I personally wouldn't ever decide to have an abortion but that's my choice. I understand completely many of the issues that are behind the choice to have an abortion. I am a single mom of 3 and had my first while still a teenager so I understand completely the lack of support some women face, the worry about how to afford to raise a child, the worry about finishing school or getting a job, about lack of childcare, the stigma that comes with having a baby alone or too young. and about 10 million other worries that come with an unplanned pregnancy. For me and my life, all of the sacrifices I have made have been worth it and I would do it over again if I had the choice. My kids are happy, healthy and have everything they need including the option of furthering their education when they are old enough. I may not be able to take them to Disney World but I don't think that's necessary for raising a child properly.I do have questions though. First is for people who are saying things like if you choose to open your legs then you better be prepared to take care of a baby . Why do you so strongly think that if you make a baby you must raise a baby? You don't ever mention adoption. Do you think adoption is wrong too? Many happy families have been brought together through adoption. The second is an adoption question for those who see abortion as the only viable option. I'm sure many of the women who've chosen abortion HAVE considered adoption and opted the way they did for one reason or another. I'm just curious what some of those reason are. The person who wrote this didn't mention if it was considered and why it wasn't the best option. Nine months isn't *that* long and if your first baby is only 9 months old she wouldn't even have to know you were pregnant. I know it's really none of my business but I am curious and I am asking respectfully without attacking anyone or aggressively pushing my personal belief. I know people who were adopted, who have adopted, who have given a baby for adoption, I also know several who have had abortions, but this is something that I rarely have been able to ask and when I have asked the only answer I've gotten is I don't know .

March 6, 2012 at 00:26 | Report abuse |
  24. Logic

If you are to engage in sex, you better be ready for everything that comes with it. Of course pleasure is positive outcome, but it is not the only one. There is emotional attachments, possible STD's thrown in the mix, and, for women, the possibility of becoming pregnant. If you engage in sex and are not ready for any of these consequences, then you are wrong. I don't know how the murder of the child in the womb came to be such an acceptable option in our world.

January 19, 2012 at 16:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Eyewatch

Oh, stick it. Consent to sex does not equal consent to give birth. Don't like it? Tough. You don't get to dictate what women do with their bodies or the contents thereof. If you don't like abortion, don't ever, ever have one. You aren't in charge of anyone else's choice of a legal medical option.

January 19, 2012 at 18:13 | Report abuse |
    • NoDakRN

What about pregnancy as an outcome of rape? "You'd bettter be ready for everything that comes with it" entails sex education, which is a necessary first step, but is somehow overlooked.

January 19, 2012 at 19:08 | Report abuse |
    • E

Name a time in history when there was not abortion.
      Guess what? There is no such thing. Abortion is not new.

January 20, 2012 at 22:03 | Report abuse |
  25. Hate the religious right...

I'm sure you're a man – when you have to assume the medical risks and give birth to it, then you can weigh in. Besides, if I don't want to be an inubator, YOU CAN'T FORCE ME TO BE ONE. Unless of course this IS The Handmaid's Tale.

January 19, 2012 at 16:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Ummmmm

I wonder how much of these statistics relate to the restrictions on US aid workers to provide complete family planning information to women in developing countries. Are they able to tell these women about contraception? Abortion?

January 19, 2012 at 19:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. NoDakRN

Can't figure out the conservative/Republican position of "less-government" intrusion into our lives, when government cannot be any more intrusive than getting between a woman, her doctor and her God.

January 19, 2012 at 19:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ummmmm

It's called "hypocrisy". And it's rampant among conservatives.

January 19, 2012 at 19:31 | Report abuse |
    • James

Conservatives don't want smaller/less government and they don't want the government out of our lives. They just want it in different parts of our lives, out of our wallets and into our bedrooms. They are anti-government except when the government pushes *their* agenda.

In a nutshell, liberals generally want fiscal regulation and moral freedom. Conservatives want moral regulation and fiscal freedom.

January 20, 2012 at 19:38 | Report abuse |
  28. Eyewatch

Abortion is legal. It's a choice. It's none of your business unless you are the one who's pregnant and considering it as an alternative.

If you are uncomfortable with these legal facts, then I suggest you:

Suck it up

Adopt a baby

Suck it up

Volunteer to contribute more tax money to support the results of unplanned pregnancy

Suck it up

Shut up

SHUT UP

SHUT UP!!!!!

January 19, 2012 at 19:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • flyingflower

Eyewatch–you tell me I am intellectually lazy and then you post this? """Suck it up!!! Shut up!!! Shut up!!! Adopt a baby!!!" I am out of here. You pro-choicers have your point you want to make but you need to learn to do so. What you wrote is on the level of children playing a "nah nah boo boo I know you are but what am I" game in the schoolyard. Pro-choicers please wind your way out of your labyrinth of confusion. Please just try it. Try using logic–A and then B and then C type thinking. Resist your urges to lasso separate issues into a giant ball of non-sequiturs. See what happens. See if you, yourselves, still believe you are right.

January 19, 2012 at 20:18 | Report abuse |
    • Eyewatch

Go ahead and scram, you useless waste of space. You don't have a solution, just more pap.

Blow, you f* ck wit.

January 19, 2012 at 21:27 | Report abuse |
    • Eyewatch

Apparently, "non sequiturs" is a new and novel phrase for "flying f* *k wit". She is overcome! Poor little thing.

January 19, 2012 at 21:30 | Report abuse |
    • Ummmmm

Oooh. Little flypaper got her butt handed to her, didn't she?

Bwahahhhahhahha.

January 19, 2012 at 21:32 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Well, of course. The dolt is like most anti-choice morons: Dumb as dirt and ignorant as mud.

January 19, 2012 at 21:51 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Look it up, you stupid git. It's the APA's study.

Here:
      The best scientific evidence published indicates that among adult women who have an unplanned pregnancy the relative risk of mental health problems is no greater if they have a single elective first-trimester abortion than if they deliver that pregnancy.

Not PP, honey.

Care to respond now, you dumbf888k?

January 19, 2012 at 22:06 | Report abuse |
    • i call BS

flying flower must have been brainwashed. Either that, or it didn't have a brain to wash.

January 19, 2012 at 22:15 | Report abuse |
    • ff=fIcking fool

Nuff said.

January 19, 2012 at 22:42 | Report abuse |
    • flyingflower

You guys aren't winning any awards for your mental skills tonight are you? Have fun playing your school yard nah nah boo boo game. Oh, and might wanna get your anger problems checked out. It's kind of odd you're all foaming at the mouth like rabid dogs because I said I knew someone who had PTSD from having an abortion. Might wanna shell out a couple bucks for some skilled therapy. Good luck.

January 19, 2012 at 22:53 | Report abuse |
    • Eeyore

Ahahhah. Yah, honey, you're not desperate at all, are you?

Loser.

January 19, 2012 at 22:59 | Report abuse |
    • flyingflower

True Eeyore–there is a certain element of desperation in responding to amoral low lifes. You guys have fun with your little spit ball fight. Night night.

January 19, 2012 at 23:05 | Report abuse |
    • Eeyore

Aww, whatsamatter, dear? Can't manage to argue your point with facts? Booo hoo.

I weep for you, you lame brain.

January 19, 2012 at 23:07 | Report abuse |
  29. Ummmmm

What you idiots don't get is this: if you don't want to pay for the care of unwanted children, then shut up about abortion. It's your choice. You don't get to force women to give birth against their will and then deny the result financial support. Take your pick. Either support the right to choose or support the result of denying that right.

If you're so f*88ing stupid that you believe you can control desires of men and women, then you're too dumb to post anything here. Get lost.

January 19, 2012 at 21:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • flyingflower

If you care so much about women and children, why don't you shell out some money?

January 19, 2012 at 22:56 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why don't you, you hypocrite? You're the one denying women the right to choose. Why don't YOU tell us how many kids you'e adopted? How many babies you've supported? Put through college?

Have at it, honey.

January 19, 2012 at 23:12 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yeah. That's what I figured. You don't have two nickels to rub together, you fraud. So stf* and admit you're a loser who can't really help anyone else, much lisa yourself, honey.

January 19, 2012 at 23:20 | Report abuse |
    • bankerlady

In all your hateful ranting about choice, you forgot to mention the choice to, you know, not do the one thing that creates a pregnancy. No joke. It's a choice. Not one we can expect many people to make, but it is still actually an option.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think about taxpayer-funded facilities that perform abortions?

January 20, 2012 at 00:53 | Report abuse |
    • Whyshouldi

So let me get this straight Ummmmm.... Basically what you're saying is that people are going to have sex with no form of contraception whether I like it or not, and I am therefore required to provide them with taxpayer money either in the form of funding abortion or funding welfare? So I have to pay for people's poor choices? Why?

This is the problem with the mindset of Americans these days. "I can do whatever I want, with no fear of the consequences of my actions, and all the rest of you had better bend over backwards to provide for my lifestyle." This is the real world, like it or not. There's a very simple formula to how life starts. A man and a woman have unprotected sex –> the woman gets pregnant. That's called cause and effect. The difference between adults and children is that adults take responsibility for the consequences of their actions, without asking their mommy and daddy to take care of it for them.

January 20, 2012 at 11:11 | Report abuse |
    • Bzzz

No, that is not what anyone is saying. What they are saying is that the religious right want to ban abortions altogether. Yet they don't want to provide care for the children born as a result that they claim are so precious. There will likely always be women whose birth control fails, who are careless, uneducated, etc. Banning abortion won't work. What will work is education, health care, and increased awareness.

January 20, 2012 at 18:37 | Report abuse |
  30. i call BS

What the crazies don't get is that the REAL issue is loss of life and health. More ILLEGAL abortions means more death and more suffering.

But of course, people like flying do uchebag aren't concerned about THAT.

January 19, 2012 at 22:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

i wonder, do the zealots take credit for deaths due to unsafe abortions? Do they revel in them? Do they celebrate the deaths of women who don't survive the abortions of their fetuses?

Why not?

January 19, 2012 at 22:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • flyingflower

Have fun fighting windmills. You're fighting an imaginary enemy. Pro-lifers don't revel in the deaths of women nor are they obligated to take credit for deaths due to unsafe abortions.

January 19, 2012 at 23:01 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Prove it, you retarded dumbazz.

January 19, 2012 at 23:08 | Report abuse |
    • Bzzz

Ahahahhhha. What a lame-oh.

Call me at 1-800-get-aclu when you wake up and realize you've been duped.

January 19, 2012 at 23:22 | Report abuse |
    • Jabberwocky

Those who attempt to abrogate the rights of women to choose for themselves do most certainly bear responsibility for the disastrous effects of unsafe abortions.

January 21, 2012 at 18:44 | Report abuse |
  32. Eeyore

Anyone who wants to validate her posts (i. e. flying flower) can donate money to a worthy cause and thereby assuage his/her/its guilt.

January 19, 2012 at 23:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Isn't it interesting that flying flower can't refute the findings of the study she claims is bogus?

What a lame brain.

January 19, 2012 at 23:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dile

WOW!! Did you seriously just mdonecn the use of contraceptives?!?! I didn't actually think there were people like you still out there at least not any with the intelligence it requires to use a computer! How dare you discourage the use of contraception?! If people would USE it, we would have FAR less abortions!!! Isn't that what you want?? Not to go into details about my own sex life, but I'll have you know that I was married when I had my abortion. We married in our early 20s and, due to my IUD failing, I got pregnant at 27. We were very clear with each other from Day One that neither one of us wanted to have children and we took all necessary steps to prevent it, but nothing is 100%. Except abstinence. So should I have NOT been having sex with my sweet, loving, amazing, gorgeous husband not enjoyed the God-given of rockin' sex in my loving marital union just because we did not want to use sex to procreate? My husband and I have been together for 10 years and our relationship is as strong and amazing as it ever was! If we had had that child, I am positive that we both would have become bitter and disillusioned, blaming each other and the kid for trapping us in a life we did not want. And please do not tell me that that wouldn't have happened, that we would have loved that child as the blessing it was and it would have brought us so much joy and happiness! No. We don't like kids. We have no patience for them and find no joy in them. We may have loved that kid, but there is NO way our day to day lives would have been happy with a kid in the house. We'd go nuts.So PLEASE tell me what I should have done?? I'm just dying to know!

March 5, 2012 at 21:45 | Report abuse |
  34. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

How many infants are you nursing tonight, ff? You've got 2 boobs, don't you?

Are they both being sucked?

If not, do you really have anything to say?

January 19, 2012 at 23:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • flying flower

Get some help Tom, Tom–mental help. You're comments are so immature and idiotic. The gist of everything I wrote was that some women develop PTSD after having an abortion. If you don't agree with that, that's your right. Your stupid name-calling and working yourself into a frenzy over my belief that PTSD can follow having an abortion is bizarre. I never even said that I thought abortion should be illegal or that people who have 1st trimester abortions are bad people. Yet you're jumping all over me with both feet like I said that. I never said that! OK!!!! So take a deep breath, calm down, and grow the hell up.

January 20, 2012 at 15:49 | Report abuse |
    • flyingflower

Oh, and I looked up the study you're talking about. Without knowing what questions these women were asked, it is hard to say how "valid" the data is. What were the questions asked? The point that they make that it is predisposing mental health issues (before the abortion) would be the only contributor as to whether they experienced mental health issues after is not compelling. If you understand anything about PTSD, depression, anxiety or any of these issues, a person's mental health vulnerabilities before a traumatic or stressful event always play a role in that person's mental health reactions after the event. This is basic psychology. Do any research about PTSD and you will discover I am not "making that up".

January 20, 2012 at 16:45 | Report abuse |
    • Jabberwocky

I've read the study, and yes, ff, you are making it up. The fact that you know some women who were adversely affected by abortion proves nothing at all. Of COURSE some women will regret their decisions. So? Some women regret getting married. Some regret having dropped out of high school. Some regret having children; others regret not having them. Life is full of choices, and those choices are the province of the women themselves. Not the government, and certainly not you.

January 21, 2012 at 18:42 | Report abuse |
  35. MG.

Even though socialized medicine bankrupted most of the so called civilized world and abortions are on the decline, the US. could give them Obamacare. That will assuredly get those pesky abortion numbers backup where the Democrats want them!

January 20, 2012 at 01:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • blucorsair

I don't think that the Democrats have learned a thing from the demise of people like Bart Stupak (D) Mich. and Steve Driehaus (D) OH. in the 2010 election or more recently sen. Nelson (D) of Nebraska calling it quits. ...noone ever said Democrats were smart!

January 20, 2012 at 01:39 | Report abuse |
  36. Desiree

All Roman Catholics are going to hell and how di I know? Because the Bible tells me so

January 20, 2012 at 08:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Myto Senseworth

More abortions please. The world is over populated. Maybe just randomly fixing 3 out of 4 women would help.

January 20, 2012 at 10:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • bsdtktr

How about we go right to the source and do the most effective thing and specifically fix 4 out of 4 men.

January 21, 2012 at 00:27 | Report abuse |
  38. KJC

Dear Kate, if you leave a 3 week old born baby by itself, it will die. That is because it is 100% dependent on others to provide care and nourishment. This is also true of some of the elderly or those with severe disabilities. If someone must be independent/provide their own nourishment to be of value, then who else shoud we kill?

January 20, 2012 at 12:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bzzz

The difference, dear, is that someone ELSE can take care of a three-week-old baby. No one else can "take care" of a fetus.

The fact is that fetuses are not guaranteed rights under the Const it union. Women are. Old people are. Handicapped people are.

January 20, 2012 at 18:33 | Report abuse |
  39. Mike C

Goes to prove that you can make abortion illegal. You can tear down every clinic that offers it, you can arrest or kill all of the doctors; you will never stop a woman from getting rid of something she doesn't want. Whether it's with a coat hangar before birth, or a dumpster outside of prom after birth. You're just shifting the "crime" away from the abortion doctor, to a murder by the mother. Like I've always said, an abortion destroys one life, but having an unwanted child destroys two.

January 20, 2012 at 14:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • AndriconBoy

Let's not forget how the Conservatives and right-leaning Christians in the US want to do away with Planned Parenthood, sex education, and insurance subsidised birth control, BUT they sure as hell don't want anyone to be able to have an abortion either. If they used their brain they might realize that those things go hand in hand. You want to get rid of abortion, right-wing America? Then maybe you should permit the things people need to be educated about sex and pregnancy, the means to prevent it, and the tools they need to avoid unwanted children. There sure as hell would be a lot fewer abortions.

January 20, 2012 at 14:37 | Report abuse |
    • bankerlady

Easy with the sweeping generalizations of other humans. There are plenty of Conservatives and right-leaning Christians who fully support sex ed, PP, and free birth control, and the quickest way to halt progression in this subject is to use tired labels to try to define massive groups. All it does is hinder clarity and raise hackles.

January 20, 2012 at 15:33 | Report abuse |
    • E

Then right leaning people need to stop voting for people who make it their mission to destroy Planned Parenthood and force abstinence only education into schools. When you are voting for these policies, you are supporting them and you are making them happen. Take personal responsibility for your votes.

January 20, 2012 at 22:09 | Report abuse |
  40. E

For 8 years George Bush insisted that ALL US aid had to be severely limited and not a single penny could go to organizations that discussed real comprehensive education and they could NEVER mention that abortion existed. The right wing morality police spent our money going around the world telling married women to be abstinent. They are to blame for continued ignorance and waste of aid money that could have actually helped women prevent pregnancies or have safe options when they could not carry children. It is not a coincidence that STD and pregnancy rates increased after his policies were enacted.

January 20, 2012 at 22:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jabberwocky

Well said.

January 21, 2012 at 14:20 | Report abuse |
  41. b4bigbang

Oh almighty women who want your children aborted, we must obey, for you are the noble victims of the evil White Man's World!
    Ohhhh, booo hoooo!!!
    (Insert raspberry here).

January 21, 2012 at 21:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jabberwocky

I've read your posts elsewhere, b4. You're not really very bright. Yes, legal abortions should be available. So should education and contraception. If you have a problem with that, don't get pregnant.

January 21, 2012 at 22:05 | Report abuse |
  42. shawbrooke

Maybe the drop in abortion rates was mostly in first world countries where everybody meets the high standards of the first world. Which would mean that there is no deterioration, just that the percentage of abortions does by the "unqualified" (wonder how they define that) is rising because the number of abortions is falling more in some places that others.

Why not just tell us that? Maybe there's a purpose, and the authors are sensing that abortion is falling out of fashion. They are trying to rally the pro abortion troops for another assault and reusing partial truths that were successful in the past. The fact is that penicillin, not abortion clinics made abortions safe. Deaths from abortion were already rare long before the abortion clinics got going. The clinics are part of their sales strategy.

January 22, 2012 at 23:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom

Wow, you think people who support a woman's right to control her own body translates into wanting women to get abortions? Falling out of fashion? Really? You people can't think logically to save yourselves. It would be funny if it wasn't so dumb.

January 23, 2012 at 00:43 | Report abuse |
  43. mmi16

Why does it seem that those who oppose abortion also oppose birth control?

Why is it that those who decry the ever increasing world population oppose birth control and abortion?

A child has a birthright to be wanted by those who concieved it. The unwanted child becomes the terrorist, theif, murderer, rapist; the scourge to society.

January 23, 2012 at 05:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Katie

Stupid!!! Less abortions because women are smarter and getting pregnant 'accidently' less frequently.

If you're against abortions, don't have one!!!!

January 23, 2012 at 06:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Eufemica

LOL at you people tklniag about I'm so happy we have abortion rights, I don't know what I would do if I was forced to become a mother at a certain time. My only question to you is who was FORCING you to lay on your back and open your legs? I don't care how much birth control your on, or what brand of condoms you use. If you are having sex there is ALWAYS a chance you can conceive. If you're going to have sex, you better be prepared to take care of a child.As for Ann, let's just be glad your mother didn't feel the same way about abortion you do. Due to that fact, the world is actually able to hear your sick, twisted, deceptive story of how this procedure has allowed you to be a better mother to Kiddo. Good thing she was born when she was, or else she wouldn't have been around either. You have gotten your foot in the door, and now you're making great money. With the way the economy is, let's hope you still have your job. (Quite a few CFO's, making $250,000+ in their respective positions, have been laid off in recent years). Money doesn't last forever. Was it worth it? You could very easily go back to living paycheck to paycheck again. That would suck, wouldn't it? The only thing worse than that is the fact that you wouldn't have another bloodclot to blame your issues one. Finally, since this article is your argument for how abortion helped you to become a better Mother, please write another article on how your child reacts when you tell them that you killed their sibling in order to provide for that child and make more money. I'm sure she'd be thrilled .unless she doesn't have a heart like momma.Have a good day

March 3, 2012 at 17:15 | Report abuse |