home
RSS
Paula Deen: Diabetes is not 'a death sentence'
January 17th, 2012

Paula Deen: Diabetes is not 'a death sentence'

Paula Deen, star of the Food Network’s “Paula’s Best Dishes,” built her reputation on traditional Southern favorites such as fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, sweet tea and butter - lots and lots of butter.

For years her show and articles such as “7 Things Paula Deen Fried - and Ate” sparked rumors that the cooking icon had diabetes. She was often criticized for promoting food high in fat and calories at a time when about a third of American adults are considered obese.

Now Deen is going public with a diagnosis she received three years ago during a regular checkup with her doctor: She has Type 2 diabetes.

“I’m great,” she said on NBC’s "Today' show Tuesday morning. “I’m here today to let the world know that it is not a death sentence.”

The celebrity chef is launching a campaign with her two sons, Bobby and Jamie, called Diabetes in a New Light as part of her agreement to be a paid spokeswoman for Novo Nordisk, a maker of diabetes medications. The family is offering new, lighter versions of their favorite recipes and advice on managing the disease.

Deen said keeping her diagnosis a secret for so long wasn’t a choice based on protecting her reputation. “I wanted to bring something to the table when I came forward,” she said on "Today."

About 26 million people in the United States have diabetes, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC estimates another 79 million Americans over age 20 have pre-diabetes, or elevated glucose levels.

There are two major forms of diabetes: Type 1 and Type 2. Type 2 is the most common. Type 2 is often called adult-onset diabetes because it develops over time due to low activity levels and a poor diet that causes excess body weight.

Diabetes can lead to kidney failure, blindness, lower limb amputations, heart disease and stroke. It is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States, according to the CDC.

Type 2 diabetes is like Russian roulette, Deen told USA Today on Monday in her first interview about her diagnosis. "It's about heredity. It's about age, lifestyle, race. I'm the only one in my family who has it. My grandmother cooked and ate like I ate, and she didn't have it."

Still, the jokes about butter are flying - from bloggers mocking the irony of her spokeswoman deal to articles such as “The Paula Deen Dishes Paula Deen Shouldn’t Eat.” On the "Today" show, Deen rejected the criticism.

“I’ve always encouraged moderation. On my show I share with you all these yummy, fattening recipes, but I tell people, in moderation. In moderation, you can have that little piece of pie,” she said.

“Honey I’m your cook, not your doctor. You are going to have to be responsible for yourself.”

USA Today reported that Deen is walking a mile or more a day on a treadmill and is no longer drinking sweet tea to keep her sugar under control. She has dropped a clothing size since her diagnosis, according to the paper.

For more, visit Health.com: Deen may face uphill battle against diabetes

1. Dr ruth..

I am shock...

A woman that cooks with tonnes of lard, sugar, and saturated oils, a woman that is obesse, and lucks exercise..

I would never supected she would get diabetes...

January 17, 2012 at 09:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jay

lol

January 17, 2012 at 11:32 | Report abuse |
    • queenbee

Paula is a product of her time and demographics–many people do not think "sugar" is a death sentence. It actually is. Medicine can slow down the progression of the destruction caused by diabetes but inevitably those with it either die from complications associated with it or die due to old age–which one kills them first depends on how old they are when they get it. Diabetes begins slowly to cannibalize body organs and cause necrotization of body tissues–medicine allows those with the disease to manage overt symptoms for years–but the destruction within the body is taking place on a microscopic level –NO MATTER WHAT.

January 17, 2012 at 14:53 | Report abuse |
    • Galina L.

It always makes me uncomfortable when people mix in one pile fat and sugar as reasons for pure health. I would rather blame "everything in moderation" approach. I resolved all my health issues on low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet, so as my mother who normalized her blood pressure and blood sugar . Fat is ok, unless you eat sugar and grains.

January 17, 2012 at 15:15 | Report abuse |
    • Ringo

I like how she waited until she secured a deal with a DB drug maker before she let the beans spill. Here's a tip Paula: get off your but, and layoff the butter and fat kr ap! You don't need a big pharma drug, just good ole' common sense.

January 17, 2012 at 17:47 | Report abuse |
    • OvernOut

Queenbee has it exactly right. Both of my skinny, mini parents had Type II diabetes, my mom lived 12 years, my dad 18. The last year for both was so awful, I cringe when anyone makes light of this condition (like Paula just did). Why didn't she speak out for the American Diabetes Association? I guess she wants a Cadillac casket, you sure can't take the drug mfg money with you any other way.

January 17, 2012 at 18:17 | Report abuse |
    • Susan Slattery

Galina is right. Low carbohydrate. Fat is okay with no sugar and no grains. I didn't coin this, but sugar is death. There are beacons out there shining a light on this, but much of the world is still turning a blind eye and wondering about diabetes and cancer. It's very likely that sugar is poison. Is Sugar Toxic? Gary Taubes answered this question in the NY Times.

January 17, 2012 at 23:05 | Report abuse |
    • mr

No surprise here. America is obese and she is leading the pack. She cooks with crap. I get sick watching her eat her fat laden dishes. The food network should take a look at this and see if they want to continue to support the obesity industry.

January 19, 2012 at 00:07 | Report abuse |
  2. 800 lb Gorilla in the room

5 sticks of butter, deep fried, with 2 lbs of powdered sugar....

.... and this is a surprise to who?????

January 17, 2012 at 10:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Anna

I urge Paula to get the filmmaker's Specialized diabetes diet and do not take the medications

The Anti Obesity drug makers and diabetes drug makers take in 10 billion$$$$ every year with no cure!!

Food Chemicals are the cause of the diabetes and obesity crisis The FDA and Drug makers know this and are laughing to the Billionaire$$$ bank

The food chemicals break the gut(insulin) and this is the cause of the diabetes and obesity crisis A filmmaker has been reversing diabetes and Obesity WITHOUT MEDICATIONS in now 10 countries and the drug makers do not promote the story

just google SPIRIT HAPPY DIET

January 17, 2012 at 10:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob

So you drink sugar-free Kool-Aid?

January 17, 2012 at 10:20 | Report abuse |
    • T

Complete lack of knowledge behind this post by Anna

January 17, 2012 at 10:30 | Report abuse |
    • JuneCleaversBeaver

Lemme guess not a day's worth of medical training in your backround? No problem Reader's Digest and the internet is all the doctor you'll ever need. Twit.

January 17, 2012 at 10:54 | Report abuse |
    • Ringo

Right-on !!!

January 17, 2012 at 17:48 | Report abuse |
    • Christine

Great!
      So you can get an MD/PhD, create your company, and find the cure for diabetes.
      It should be easy, right? Why don't you do it then.
      You are evidently so much better at it than anyone else and you know everything about research and designing wonder cures.

January 18, 2012 at 13:08 | Report abuse |
    • bankerlady

Actually, Anna's pretty close to being absolutely right...she just didn't explain it well. Factory foods (hyperprocessed, with chemicals, preservatives, stabilizers, and and frankenfoods like corn syrup) are the biggest part of the equation, followed closely by inadequate physical activity. The species got along fine on diets of natural foods, without eliminating whole food groups. It wasn't until food industrialization become the norm that, for the first time in history, life expectancy started decreasing instead of increasing. There's no food in our food, and the poor get hit the hardest because 1) they're the least educated about nutrition, and 2) factory food is cheap.

January 19, 2012 at 14:09 | Report abuse |
  4. Kate

Type 2 diabetes is almost entirely about lifestyle. Heredity does not play much of a role.

January 17, 2012 at 10:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jason

actually this is a common misconception. type 2 diabetes, which is tied to obesity, is more influenced by genetics than type 1 diabetes. that being said, lifestyle is also a large influencing factor.

January 17, 2012 at 10:51 | Report abuse |
    • shock

Kate, are you an endocrinologist? Can you pronounce endocrinologist? I imagine you can't since you don't know the first thing about diabetes.

January 17, 2012 at 10:56 | Report abuse |
    • Diabarb

You are incorrect. Heredity plays a huge role.

January 17, 2012 at 12:15 | Report abuse |
    • queenbee

A lot of people seem to not understand what heredity is. It is the continual activity of an organism which eventually is incorporated within their genes and is passed on. This means that if diabetes Type II is hereditary it is due to the continual overeating of carbs and the burnout at a premature time of insulin and insulin receptors–this took time and many generations. But just like an organism and successive generations CAUSED a disease to become hereditary, future offspring can reverse the genetic trait (or make it recessive) by deliberately changing what they do. Humans are not slaves to genetics ("they can't help it, it's genetic") they are recipients of it.

Diabetes is a symptom of hyperinsulinemia but the true cause is the inability of cells to digest sugars from certain grains and plants. Insulin is the key that unlocks each cell so that they can ingest sugar. When there is not enough or no insulin, the cells, in desperation EAT THE MUSCLES including the heart and brain and redirect blood flow to only necessary organs. This is why people with hyperglycemia go into a coma–the brain is also begun to be ingested and the resultant ketones (from fat being used as fuel–brain fat–the brain is over 60% fat) overwhelm the kidneys and other organs.

Actually, neither arguing group is completely wrong, but neither are completely right. You can come from a family of type II diabetics and through management of what you eat and how you exercise–minimize the risk of getting it–it takes more than genetics to get Type II diabetes–it takes a high amount of carbohydrates over a period of time and a pancreas that over dispenses the insulin until the cells become resistant. Where that threshold is in each life may be genetic but the outcome and even the beginning of hyperinsulinemia always could be controlled by minimizing sugars and refined/processed carbohydrates like white flour, white potatoes, corn, pasta and rice, many cereals made with white flour.

January 17, 2012 at 15:02 | Report abuse |
    • Galina L.

Diabetes 2 is among the cluster of decease of western civilization, together with cardio-vascular diseases, Alzheimer, diverticulitis, and many others. It is more that heredity.

January 17, 2012 at 15:20 | Report abuse |
    • momof3

Have you ever heard of insulin resistance, which an also impact thin and normal weight individuals? Have you heard of the so called "thrifty" gene that contributes to it?

January 17, 2012 at 16:25 | Report abuse |
    • mr

You don't get fat by not eating. Heredity can be overcome. She eats like a pig and now looks like one. Humans were not meant to eat like she does. As long as america continues to eat processed foods in large portions it will continue to be a culture of obesity.

January 19, 2012 at 00:11 | Report abuse |
  5. Ben Dover

She's an imbecile and Anthony Bourdain was right. Her food is toxic to anyone's health. And we wonder why the obesity rate in America is triple what it was in 1980 and is the #1 health issue facing America. She disgusts me.

January 17, 2012 at 10:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • hannah01

Yeah, and eating eat those disgusting foods from street vendors in those 3rd world countries has gotta be alot better for you, right Mr. Bourdain? God knows where that stuff comes from. And doesn't he still smoke like a chimney? I'm not saying Paula's food is good for anyone, but Bourdain needs to keep his arrogance to himself. I doubt that America is out there trying out that crap that he's touting. And unless he's got some anti-diabetes program going on...he needs to put a lid on it.

January 17, 2012 at 13:39 | Report abuse |
    • queenbee

You DO realize that Bourdain was (until recently) a decades long Heroin and cocaine addict? I don't really think one should take or accept health critiques from just any source. I Like Anthony Bourdain in context, but only as another cook (I like Paula Deen also) when it comes to health issues, I seek sources other than people who make a living out of cooking or anything else that could profit from bad food choices.

January 17, 2012 at 15:06 | Report abuse |
    • ab

Yeah, he's the picture of health!

January 18, 2012 at 14:00 | Report abuse |
  6. John1Galt

Next headlne: "Tomorrow the Sun Will Rise in the East!"

January 17, 2012 at 10:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. bob

Since diagnosed and reading the above book and a few others, I have since increased my level of exercise, have eaten no sugar and eat very little carbohydrates (only what is natural in fruits and vegetables). I drink only water, tea, or coffee. No diet drinks that mimic sugar. I have seen my A1C go from 9.0 to 5.6 and my fasting glucose level now averages near 85. I lost 27 lbs in 3 months and can now run over 5 miles a day. My triglycerides went from 300 to 75 and I now have a nearly perfect cholesterol ratio – all this by eating fruits, nuts, vegetables, lots of high-quality meat and fish, cheese and peanut butter. Good fat is not the problem, its the abundance of carbs (high-quality whole grains included) and the sugar that are killing us.

Read the book. It's based on hard scientific and historical evidence. I challenge anyone who has this problem. But it will require a lifestyle change.

January 17, 2012 at 11:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jay

This just shows what's possible!

January 17, 2012 at 11:34 | Report abuse |
    • Deligoer

A HUGE lifestyle change for some of us Bob. I was close to 350 when I was diagnosed. I begged my doctor not to start any mediction for three months. It's been 12 years and I'm still not on meds for this disease. I agree with the list Bob gave, and there is so much more to it.

January 17, 2012 at 13:07 | Report abuse |
    • momof3

As a normal weight, insulin resistant woman with PCOS, I totally agree with you. I eat this way to stave off diabetes. I have no issues with eating natural fats. Carbs on the other hand are disastrous for me, including most of the much heralded whole grains. They just don't make your blood sugar rise as fast, but they still contain plenty of sugars. Some people just can't handle that, and that percentage of people is much larger than has been previously acknowledged. Something like 25% of adults are insulin resistant, which makes them very vulnerable to type 2. And you don't have to be overweight to become IR or a type 2 diabetic.

January 17, 2012 at 16:29 | Report abuse |
    • Philip

I did something similar to Bob. Two years ago I had to get off my meds because of a bad side effect and I turned to the internet, instead of my doctor, for information. There is a lot of information out there but I sorted through it and started exercising and eating healthy and that includes healthy fats. Soda was the worse culprit what with all that sugar. Restaurant food was another one of my downfalls. Now I no longer have any of the health problems I had before. I had been on meds for ten years but now I don't need them..

January 17, 2012 at 17:29 | Report abuse |
    • Galina L.

Bob, ditch fruits or limit it seriously, it could make a huge difference.

January 17, 2012 at 21:56 | Report abuse |
  8. Charley Farley

My fiance watches her show on a regular basis. Not once has she uttered the word 'moderation'. I do recall her saying once that the only exercise she gets is flapping her gums (wording may have been different).

January 17, 2012 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • marcia

Mrs. Deen, if looked at with and open mind is....A BIG FAT SLOB!

January 17, 2012 at 17:05 | Report abuse |
  9. Jay

What a joke!

Deen wanted to wait (3 years) before announcing her diabetic condition in order to provide hope for people who are living with this terrible condition by teaming up with a drug company. During those three years she made a ton of money and now is going to make even more. Can we say spin? I would have gained more respect for Deen if she announced her situation then and discussed how she's going to change her lifestyle through exercise and diet.

Has Deen jumped into the Presidential race in South Carolina?

January 17, 2012 at 11:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dan D

@ Jay

Subject Line: What a joke!

I could not have said it better. You said what I was thinking, to a T. IMHO, the only thing that she cares about is how she can milk the cash cow more. Mrs. Deen: To know that you have diabetes, yet continue to run a program (for three-years) that does little-to-nothing to promote healthy eating or a healthy lifestyle, speaks volumes about your true motives.

January 17, 2012 at 12:58 | Report abuse |
    • D

100% correct.

January 17, 2012 at 18:15 | Report abuse |
  10. Dee

Yes, I completely agree with Bob, Diabetes is indeed a multi-faceted condition that requires many life-long lifestyle changes. As an RN with over 20 yrs experience, I can tell you that I've seen the devastating effects uncontrolled Diabetes has on people. The worst thing is that even those that have been diagnosed & taught how to care for themselves are the ones most likely to be non-compliant with their treatment plans.

Although medications definitely have their pros & cons, there is something to be said about a comprehensive approach to Diabetes that includes taking responsibility for one's own health & making small but tangible changes to one's eating, sleeping , stress management, exercise and emotional well-being habits.

You'd be surprised how little it takes to truly impact this condition. With a little creativity, consistency & a positive outlook, this condition can be controlled well.

January 17, 2012 at 11:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • queenbee

Without a lifestyle and food change–medicines only buy time and even then the diabetes is progressing albeit covertly. As a scientist who used to work for Big Pharm–I think it is important for people to reallize that drugs to manage a disease does not cure it–diabetes is a progressive disease–medicine only means instead of killing a diabetic in a few weeks as used to be the case, insulin from pigs (or synthetic insulin) extends the sentence by YEARS–but the disease is STILL there and is STILL destroying organs and tissues–bit by bit. This is a FACT.

January 17, 2012 at 15:11 | Report abuse |
    • Ebullient

Even though you are a nurse for 20 years, and you've seen a lot of the damage diabetes can do, it's different BEing the patient rather than Treating the patient. I was diagnosed 17 years ago and I went straight to insulin. I was working for the Post Office and I was getting plenty of exercise all year long. I have excellent health insurance. I am a college graduate with a Master's degree. I am an overachiever Type A personality, and I am compliant. I see my endocrinologist once a month or more. My brother is a Doctor with 22 years in private practice and he is an excellent resource. I test my blood sugars 6 times a day and I wear an insulin pump. AND YET, due to the natural progression of this disease, I've got serious complications of diabetes in my eyes, feet and autonomic system. Unless and until you have diabetes, please stop suggesting "how little it takes" to manage this diabolical disease. Having diabetes is like living on a tightrope. A diabetic never gets to take a little break. This disease is bearing down every minute of the day AND night. Don't be fooling yourself or your patients.

January 17, 2012 at 15:58 | Report abuse |
    • Galina L.

Ebullient
      Please, get for yourself the Dr. R. Bernstein's book "The diabetic solution", he was diagnosed at 12 with D1, became an engineer, manage to figure out how to keep his BS with minimal insulin,at 45 he became a doctor in order to be able to treat people with diabetes. It is due to him diabetics test their sugar, it used to be the procedure only doctors performed. He is still alive, older then 70, practices medicine, avoids complication. His book is in every public library.

January 17, 2012 at 22:05 | Report abuse |
  11. val

This has to be themost stupid information...get an endocrinologist!

January 17, 2012 at 11:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Rm.Davis

I beleived that Ms.Dean probably just found out recently that she had this disease otherwise why would she still promote and cook foods full of fat and grease this was pure selfishness and greed on her part to continue cooking this way on a national televised show and then have the gaul to say that people are responsible for themselves in one way she is right we all are free moral agents having the right to say yes or no but than she is just as guilty knowing that these foods are harmful and still promote them as being ok just dig in folks giving one a sense of security that maybe it is ok and not that bad after all she should be taken off the air period she along with the Neeley's Guy, and others I don't know why they have been on this long.

January 17, 2012 at 12:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Galina L.

Fat and grease have no impact on the development of D2, only the carbs, especially in excess. Check your BS after oatmeal one day, and after eggs and butter(no bread and sugar) on another. Oatmeal is not a winner at all. I bet you would be horrified like my mother. She is eating fat a red meat now, blood pressure is normal since than.

January 17, 2012 at 22:10 | Report abuse |
    • Kat

That is EXACTLY the point. She waited 3 YEARS because she was making a deal with the BIGGEST PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANY for diabetic meds and instruments......NOVO NORDISK. It took them that long to write a book about "healthy living and cooking" and tape commercials for their new diabetic "wonder drug" with this woman.

STOP BUYING ANYTHING WITH HER ON IT PEOPLE....SHE IS A SCAM AND A SLOB and just cares about money!

NOT what I look at and admire.....she is DISGUSTING.....

January 18, 2012 at 00:34 | Report abuse |
  13. dee

You r what u EAT! This I so true.*

January 17, 2012 at 12:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Mark

She received the diagnosis three years ago? You'd think that in itself would have encouraged to make a change in the way she cooks and the type of food and eating habits she promotes. I think it's pathetic and her sons have jumped on the cash cow bandwagon too, with their greasy barbecue cookbooks. There are people who are influenced by celebrities and for the past three years, Paula Dean had the opportunity to be a positive influence and missed it.

January 17, 2012 at 12:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • queenbee

To be fair to Paula–she did not invent southern cooking and the demographics that do it would have still done it with or without her show. Paula is an entertainer and what she cooks is reflected in many cultures –African American, Hispanic and the South–Emeril also cooks a lot that way as did that Cajun cook who used to "guarantee" nothing new here, EXCEPT the obvious planned motives of waiting 3 years to say her food and style of eating might be deleterious then pushing drugs–THAT part is just pure tacky–I look for her to either revamp her show or be off the air in a year.

January 17, 2012 at 15:16 | Report abuse |
    • Galina L.

She has no obligation to give a health advice. I doubt she has a knowledge.

January 17, 2012 at 22:13 | Report abuse |
  15. rhubarb

I remember my sister telling me she went to see Paula Deen at a casino where she did a cooking class. She tried to meet her afterwards and said she was extremely unfriendly walking around smoking cigarettes and ignoring fans. Obviously she is a fraud cooking unhealthy food that even she can no longer eat. Waiting three years to reveal her health issues brought on by her unhealthy cooking habits is just greed and a network that see's ratings and profits dropping.

January 17, 2012 at 13:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Kellee

Paula Deen is right, she's a chef not a doctor. What you put in your body is your choice like everything in life. Her personal health is just that, personal. I'm over people not taking responsibility for their own actions, always easier to blame someone else. You are in charge of what you eat. I wish Paula a miraculous recovery!

January 17, 2012 at 13:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. sammie

Isn't it kind of fishy that Paula comes clean now that she has a sweetheart deal to be a spokesman for some drug company? Looks like she just wanted to sell cookbooks until something else came along. Now she wants to get on the bandwagon to get paid and enjoy all the perks! A disgrace to all the real people that suffer with this disease.

January 17, 2012 at 13:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • prisha

i am a Type2 diabetic and love watching food network, but i could never stand this woman. she is such a fraud and food network if it has any shame should cancel the deals with this fraud and her two sons. i am ashamed even to think how this woman could cheat millions of people for 3 years with her false laugh and poison cooking. once you get diagnosed with this disease it becomes automatic to watch for diet of not only yours but also of the family and will caution them and suggest healthy alternatives. i watch the food network shows for pure entertainment but sometimes some of the chefs do try to help unfortunate people like me. i watch hungry girl and did like some of her recipes though did not try them.

January 18, 2012 at 10:23 | Report abuse |
  18. loriey

Yes, sound about right to me as well.....on every show she is shoveling high fat & cholestrol food into her mouth and her husband Michael's mouth as well. Medications can help, but certainly weight loss, proper diet & exercise will do good as well.
    NOW all of a sudden one of her son's has launched his Mom's recipes made "healthier"??????
    Paula knew about her diabetes for 3 years and only recently it seems to continue the income fm TV shows they worked on changing some of her recipes to suit a healiter lifestyle......pretty smart...but pretty sneaky as well.. ..I wonder if SHE will continue carry forward with her own unhealthy recipes.

January 17, 2012 at 14:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Galina L.

Julia Child lived into her 90-s, cooking full-fat meals for herself and her husband who also lived very long.
      Fat is not a problem, I am on a high-fat diet for more than 4 years, no grains, sugars, starches, – weight is lost, never been sick with anything ever since.

January 17, 2012 at 22:18 | Report abuse |
  19. monkeymix

Like I always say: when life hands you diabetes, make fried diabetes balls!

January 17, 2012 at 14:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Kayla

I can understand if she was JUST diagnosed and now she is coming forward, and all this time she's been ignorantly doing her thing....but THREE YEARS AGO?!?! She was on The View less than a year ago touting some fried-food book for children (!) and when Barbara Walters asked her point blank about child obesity, she fumbled with a lame defense. How can this woman look people in the face? To be walking around knowing you have this and still promoting this kind of food? She should be ashamed of herself. I seriously hope she uses this as an opportunity to do the right thing.

January 17, 2012 at 14:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Galina L.

I never like her, she looks and talks like a trailer thrush.

January 17, 2012 at 22:20 | Report abuse |
  21. Jannerl

She cooks it but she doesn't make you eat it. You are responsible for what and how much you eat.

January 17, 2012 at 14:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • marcia

OH, thank you great Jannerl!

January 17, 2012 at 17:04 | Report abuse |
  22. ProperVillain

Maybe it was all the crap she eats that finally caught up with her. Seriously, did no one see this coming?

January 17, 2012 at 14:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Matt

You must be the only one. See "reading," then see "irony."

January 17, 2012 at 16:52 | Report abuse |
  23. Terry Wisland

My mother had diabetes for over 40 years. Two shots of insulin a day. She was never overweight, she was not sugar happy. She ended up passing away from cancer 10 months ago. At age 80, she was considered to be in such excellent health, the doctors were going to use agressive chemo on her, but the cancer got her first. I say this because so many posts are implying diabetes will kill you eventually, even if well managed. This is simply not true, if you manage it well.

January 17, 2012 at 15:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Greg

No wonder Victoza cost so much, with a Paula Deen indorsement maybe they can sell more to cover to cover her costs.

January 17, 2012 at 16:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. maxima128

Paula says it is hereditary and she's the only one in her family who has it. Huh?

January 17, 2012 at 16:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Paula (not Dean)

I watch Paula religiously and she does say not to eat the recipes ALL the time... could she do more probably, we all could. I get my exercise and try to be sensible, and I have eaten a recipe of hers that wasn't delicious.

Most of you are HATERS... Live and let live! Every grown person is responsible for themselves

January 17, 2012 at 17:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. marcia

Well, Paula, diabetes IS a death sentence if you don't stop cooking with butter and LARD! Wise up girl!

January 17, 2012 at 17:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • momof3

It couldn't possibly be the sugar, flour, macaroni and other refined carbohydrates, right? it has to be the fat? Nah.

January 17, 2012 at 20:54 | Report abuse |
    • Suzanne

Marcia, you're wrong about fat. I am a T2 Diabetic, and I manage my blood sugar quite successfully with a high saturated fat diet, and tons of veggies. I avoid sugar, grains, fruit, and starchy vegetables and my health indicators like A1C, blood pressure, and cholesterol are very good. Ditch the sugar and grains, Paula! Save yourself with High Fat Low Carb!

January 17, 2012 at 22:24 | Report abuse |
    • Galina L.

How does lard cause diabetes? You don't need any insulin for it. Ask any diabetic. With insulin resistance leading to D2 your pancreatic gland can't keep-up with constantly elevated sugar in your blood, but fat does't affect insulin-producing sells.

January 17, 2012 at 22:28 | Report abuse |
    • Lucy

Butter and Lard are not the problems – it's the flour & sugar. Period. You could eat a bowl full of butter and lard (but who would want to) and your insulin (fat promoting hormone) will be low....eat a bowl of flour and sugar and your insulin level will be threw the roof.

In the Ring: Bacon, eggs (fried in butter) vs. a bowl of "healthy" all-grain oatmeal and a whole grain bagel = the winner BACON & EGGS (fried in BUTTER). And don't get me started on cholesterol & high blood pressue: my husband got rid of both of those conditions eating what I just described. Paula's problem, with every other type II diabetics is SUGAR (this includes "healthy" gronola bars, fruit bars, etc.) & FLOUR (pasta, breads of any kind – yes, even "healthy whole grain" muffins, bagels, etc.).

January 18, 2012 at 14:15 | Report abuse |
  28. Paula (not Dean)

sorry haven't eaten.... typing too fast.

January 17, 2012 at 17:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Paula (not Dean)

Paula Dean is the best.... all of you food fascists ... I eat butter it tastes good ... my pie crusts are lard the win blue ribbons. I am a normal weight

I live in Iowa and we work for a living

January 17, 2012 at 17:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jay

Hi Paula:

Your comment will only give fellow Iowans a bad reputation.

As a suggestion, why not take the time to get educated on the issues associated with diabetes. In the United States, there are approximately 30 million people with this disease and another 70 million in the pre-diabetic stages. Do a search on Google for diabetic images and you'll see the devastation inflicted on other human beings, including blindness, amputation, and significant skin disorders.

January 18, 2012 at 09:56 | Report abuse |
    • jane

Do you know what your numbers are? Being thin is no guarantee.
      Don't be fooled by thin. My father "was" thin 145 lbs all his adult life and developed clogged arteries. This was back in the '73 when we did not get tested as we do today. But looking back on his diet.....hmm it tells it all. Bragging about being able to eat it all and not gain weight...who knew?
      Thank God today we have evolved and know it is about the numbers. It's not only important to know your total cholesterol number....most important know what your LDL number is (bad cholesterol ) Also know your Triglyceride number.
      Be Healthy! 🙂
      And when you get yearly blood work ......request the CRP-reactive protien blood test. This measures the level of inflammation in your body.
      High inflammation in the body is a precursor for serious heart problems.

January 19, 2012 at 00:09 | Report abuse |
  30. Chef

Paula Deen lost all her charm after this reveal. It would have been different if she had just gone public with her diagnosis three year's ago but she instead spent time shopping for an indorsement from a pharm company. And to boot, having three year's to create a lighter version book of her recipies. She will rack in the dough on both ends. I agree with an earlier poster...why couldn't she have teamed up with a diabeties foundation or something for good rather than racking in the bucks with a pharm company? I have zero respect for her now.

January 17, 2012 at 17:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Chef

Sorry...my previous post was stacked with spelling errors. Don't hurt me too badly or I'll be forced to get an endorsement from some online dictionary site.

January 17, 2012 at 17:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Tim

I’m not a Paula Deen fan . . . but then I loathe Anthony Bourdain. He is probably the most pompous, arrogant ass on TV. He thinks he is the Hunter Thompson of travel & food. If I met him on the street I would punch him in the face, repeatedly.

January 17, 2012 at 19:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. resident MD

fat is not the problem, saturated fat is not the evil its made out to be. Its all back to carbohydrate and the low carb pushed by the government and the USDA. dummy physicians agree with USDA

January 17, 2012 at 23:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jane

All fats are not created equal. There are good fats and then there are bad fats. That is what my man Dr Oz says.
      And as I mentioned in my previous post he was not to pleased with her lifestyle.
      When she was a guest on his show he actual did a segment on recipes of hers with one being with the heavy bad deep fried fats that she is famous for and the other a healthier version.
      As for carbs....there are the bad refined carbs that come from processed foods and then there are the good carbs that come from more natural foods ....fruits, veggies, ligumes, nuts etc.
      A high caloric intake is also bad. This was also determined to be a negative health issue for Paula as Dr Oz discussed her high BFI (body fat index)

January 18, 2012 at 05:04 | Report abuse |
  34. celisti

she deserves exactly what happens to her, be it diabetes or obesity or simply fat and unhealthy! she's the one making money off promoting unhealthy eating: high fat and sugar, even concealed her own diabetes to continue encouraging the unhealthy diet and adding to the hugh obesity problem in this country. she is eating her own consequence and i have no sympathy for her.

January 17, 2012 at 23:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. celisti

avoid her cook books and cooking shows like plagues!

January 17, 2012 at 23:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. jane

Diabetes is not a death sentence......yeah tell that to all those who followed you and your unhealthy recipes.
    I saw Paula on the Dr Oz show months back. I did not get the impression that he felt her heavy fat recipes were the way to go.
    Matter of fact he seriously encourage her to make changes in her way of eating and to create healthy recipes instead of what she had been doing for years.
    She has made a fortune on her unhealthy recipes. Yes there are those who followed her and know moderation is key. But my guess most of her fans felt confident in thinking her delicious fattening recipes were a good choice.
    I just find it so ironic that she chose not to go public right away with her diabetes diagnosis.
    My guess from the start was this women is a walking time bomb and that was confirmed for me when when on The Dr Oz Show she admitted that she is a smoker. I could have told you all that.....she does have the typical smoker's raspy voice.
    And with her overweight issue ....diabetes was inevitable.
    I do however wish her well. And also to all her followers to get real and get healthy.

January 18, 2012 at 04:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. jane

Diabetes is reversible....yes that is what I have read.
    Dr Neal Barnard, MD author of Eat Right Live Longer and Food For Life....explains how good healthy nutrition can reverse diabetes.
    Most times when a person claims genetics .....it is because there is a history of POOR nutrition and so bad nutrition habits are what is passed down generation to generation.

January 18, 2012 at 05:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Jen

Nothing wrong with butter, it's all the other high-carb junk she was eating that did it.

January 18, 2012 at 10:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Kayla

IMHO I think people are losing sight of the real issue. I don't think the issue here is whether or not diabetes is a death sentence, (and btw my dad has had it for 20 years.) Nor do I think the issue here is whether or not that kind of food actually gives you diabetes (there are obviously many factors involved with having it, and lots of healthy people eat treats in moderation and are fine) I think the reason people are up in arms about this topic is that *PAULA DEEN* has been hawking cookbooks with these recipes for years, saying how it's ok to eat it...when *she herself* has been walking around with diabetes for a long time. I think there needs to be some transparency, some accountability. Let's be real – I'm sure once she found out she had it she consulted with doctors and changed her own diet (or at least I hope.) But she continued to cook it, and in doing so, promote it, and make money off it. So she comes off sounding like a hypocritical sell-out. I think that's why people's jaws are dropping. In a nutshell.

January 18, 2012 at 10:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jane

Kayla....ditto! You made some excellent points.

January 18, 2012 at 22:20 | Report abuse |
  40. dave

She is a joke. She is the crux of the obesity issues with America. She is a pusher of poor eating habits and a tool of American industry. She IS a one percenter, only interested in HER bottom dollar, regardless of your well being or even her own. Never liked her, now I know why.

January 18, 2012 at 12:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Sedona Rocks films PR

She is why I am a vegetarian. Lacto ovo/ milk products and eggs. She eats unhealthy food and then laughs. Not laughing now. Meat is very bad for us. I have not eaten it in 30 years, and my health is good. Normal BP. No disease. NO diabetes.

January 18, 2012 at 13:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jane

I also am a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 26 years. I eat eggs and minimal hard cheeses. Never cared much for milk. I live an anti-inflammatory lifestyle way of eating.
      On Paula's guest appearance on The Dr Oz Show she laughed and tried to make her typical jokes regarding how her way of cooking is killing her. Kind of pathetic in a way. She like many of us has issues and so she eats too much of the wrong foods, smokes etc. to compensate obviously.
      If you are curious try googling (The Dr Oz Show with guest Paula Dean) and see for yourself.
      Be Healthy! 🙂

January 18, 2012 at 22:37 | Report abuse |
  42. barbara

Hey...CNN where is my comment? If she doesn't think her way of eating has anything to do with her diabeties, she's in denial. To know for 3 years that she had diabeties but to continue pushing her fried chicken till you drop recipes, was iressponsible. The responsible thing would have been to immediately go public and revamp her show and recipes to be diabeties friendly. What she did borders on fraud.

January 18, 2012 at 14:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Lucy

So sad that she didn't come out and say "Y'all, I'm ashamed for not sharing with you that, 3 years ago I was diagnosed with type II diabets. I have neglected my diabetes because I didn't want to accept it and I ask that you forgive me. I'm now going to spend my time altering my recipes to low sugar/low carb." She could have shared truthful information on lowing blood sugar (GET RID OF SUGAR AND FLOUR) instead of pushing yet another $$$ making drug company. Shame on you Paula. Type II diabetics don't need another med pushed at them as the cure.

January 18, 2012 at 14:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Geoffrey Hamilton

Is anyone really surprised? I mean, I heard her next episode was on how to deep fry your diabeetus supplies from Liberty Medical into a delicous butter rich paste.

January 18, 2012 at 15:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. mangoz

Chef has said the only thing that needs to be said:

Chef

I lost all respect for Paula. She could have easily paired up with a non profit diabetes association to promote awareness but rather she jumped in bed with a big pharm company just for the money. If she were serious about promoting this issue she would have done something about raising awareness three years ago. And not only is she pulling in the big money with the pharm companies, her family has now had three year's to profit but putting together a now lighter version of her recipies. She'll be pulling in money on both ends. Like I said, I have zero respect for her.

January 18, 2012 at 15:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marcelo

Tina Trimmer / I have the product but would like sonmoee that has had diabtics email me and let me know some of the things that they eat. I am on a insilin pump. Thanks alot. I do have the product.Thanks again. Tina

April 7, 2012 at 23:03 | Report abuse |
  46. Virginia

Why doesn't she just deep fry some rat poison? It will be faster.

January 18, 2012 at 15:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. mangoz

Not only did she make a huge fortune pushing a bad diet to others...she will now profit (indirectly) off of the medications Big Pharma sells to diabetic patients. You may see a backlash from this and and announcement from Paula that any money she is paid will go directly to the Diabetic Foundation. Coming soon...

January 18, 2012 at 15:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. BABY FAT?

Paula Deen is a fraud......3 years after finding out about her type 2 Diabetes....securing a contract from a drug company and Food Network promoting one of her sons new show as a "Healthy Version" of his "Mama's cooking"...and let's not forget smoking her Newports daily....all the while grinning and putting a stick of butter in a couple eggs... mmm...mmm good. Folks we'd better take our health serious as well as our overweight children's health as well and PLEASE stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

January 18, 2012 at 15:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Don

Come on, she has been waiting to make a buck not to help anyone,

January 18, 2012 at 16:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. biblio

So now it's Paula Dean's responsibility to warn us that deep fried twinkies are bad for your health. Gimme a break...use some common sense and stop blaming everybody else for your bad decisions. Dean's diagnosis is none of our business.

January 18, 2012 at 19:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jane

as long as there are vulnerable people there will be those ready to make a buck by preying on those individuals who in most cases through no falt of their own are nutritionally uneducated unlike many here on this blog.
      I think that is what may be what is upsetting some of us. My personal feeling is I am sorry for those who were screwed by Paula's greed...hook, line and sinker.
      As far as Dean's diagnosis being none of our business.....
      When she went public with her diagnosis it became the public's business.
      Bottom line here is.....Miss Paula Dean is without integrity.
      Look it up in the dictionary since you are unable to see clearly that is what the problem is with this situation.

January 18, 2012 at 23:00 | Report abuse |