home
RSS
Cardiac arrest during road races exceedingly rare
January 11th, 2012

Cardiac arrest during road races exceedingly rare

Last November, two apparently healthy young men - one 40 years old, the other just 21 - collapsed during the running of the Philadelphia marathon and were later pronounced dead, apparently of heart-related causes.

The news was shocking but familiar: In the previous two months alone, a 35-year-old firefighter had collapsed with a stopped heart as he neared the finish line of the Chicago Marathon, and a 32-year-old had suffered a fatal heart attack in the homestretch of a half-marathon in Montreal.

Recurring headlines like these may leave the impression that deadly heart problems during long-distance races are common. In reality, the odds of experiencing cardiac arrest and sudden death during a race are extremely low, according to a new study published this week in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Health.com: Why cardiac arrest is deadlier than heart attack

Researchers combed through news databases for mentions of cardiac arrest - not to be confused with heart attacks - during marathons and half-marathons, then verified those accounts with the survivors (or next of kin), using medical records and autopsy data when available. They found just 59 cases of cardiac arrest, 42 of them fatal, between 2000 and 2010 - a decade in which 11 million runners took part in nearly 11,000 marathons and half-marathons in the United States.

That translates into one cardiac arrest per 184,000 runners and one sudden death per 259,000 runners per year. To put those odds in perspective, roughly one in every 6,200 licensed drivers in the United States dies in a traffic accident each year.

"Marathons and half-marathons are generally safe, well-tolerated activities," says lead author Aaron Baggish, M.D., an assistant professor of cardiology at Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, both in Boston.

Health.com: Yes, you can run a 10K!

The grueling races may be safer than everyday running, in fact. As the study notes, the rate of sudden death among regular joggers has been estimated at one in 7,620 per year.

What's more, the 29% survival rate seen in the study is dramatically better than the 8% figure usually cited for out-of-hospital cardiac arrests, probably because the many spectators on hand at road races can start CPR right away - "one of the most important determinants of whether people live or die," Baggish says.

Despite the small number of incidents, Baggish and his colleagues were able to discern some broad patterns in the data. Cardiac-arrest rates were higher among men than women, for instance, and higher in marathons than in half-marathons.

Health.com: The worst habits for your heart

And the causes of cardiac arrest seemed to vary with age. Among younger runners, a genetic thickening of the heart muscle (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) was typically to blame, while among older runners the most common culprit was a type of heart disease characterized by stable artery blockages that can be present, unnoticed, for long periods of time.

"That means something was there for months to years," Baggish says. "People can live with [a blockage] until they have that bad day [when] they just don't get enough blood."

These blockages can be detected with tests, Baggish says. He urges aspiring distance runners to discuss heart disease risk factors (such as high blood pressure and cholesterol) with their doctors, and to undergo an exercise stress test if needed.

Health.com: 10 heart-healthy rules to live by

Cardiac arrest is different - and far more deadly - than a heart attack. In cardiac arrest the heart stops beating, interrupting the flow of blood, whereas during heart attacks a ruptured artery plaque causes a blood clot that reduces blood flow to the heart.

Heart attacks can also be a problem among long-distance runners, as a letter to the editor in the same issue of the journal makes clear. The letter details the cases of three middle-aged men with no diagnosed heart disease who suffered ruptured plaques and coronary blood clots soon after crossing the finish line of the 2011 Boston Marathon.

Exercise may increase the risk of plaque rupture and blood clots, the authors note. It can also benefit your heart, of course.

"The truth is - and this is incontrovertible - is that running and regular physical exercise keeps you healthy and lowers the risk of heart disease," Baggish says. "But it's not perfectly protective."

Copyright Health Magazine 2011

Post by:
Filed under: Death and Dying • Health.com • Heart

1. FREEMKULTRAND BRAINELEKTRODE4YA

MILLIONS TO BE ASSASSINATED FOR THE SAKE OF $$$ LIABILITIES(mk-ultra, chip implants, electroshocks etc. performed on them) AND NEW WORLD ORDER(multiculturalism = terrorism) POLITICAL AGENDA KNOWN AS "YOU ARE NEXT"(financial liabilities are 2 expensive for the government and it is cheaper to get read of you instead) !!! IF YOU WERE TREATED WITH ELECTROSHOCKS OR DRUGS USED FOR WIPING OUT MEMORY(numerous Americans and Europeans were and are) AFTER ENDURING FORCED CHIP IMPLANTS(or to retard individual = also how homeless people are produced), YOU ARE SCHEDULED NEXT !!!

NOW YOU KNOW WHAT ORWELLIAN UNITED STATES CONGRESS(USSR#2 which consists of lawyers or what are liars and physicians...lawyers, so crime per physicians can get away with it) AND OTHER GOVERNMENTS WORLDWIDE ARE SOOO BUSY WITH WHEN PLAYING/CLOWNING(acting) IN FRONT OF CAMERAS ONLY HOW SOMETHING HAVE TO BE DONE(deliberately omitting/delaying facts of genocide as seen on this complain) !!!

LEARN TRUTH ABOUT UNITED NATIONS, AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL AS WELL AS NEW WORLD ORDER(MULTICULTURALISM = TERRORISM) GOVERNMENTS(Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) !!! NOT THERE TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS, BUT TO DENY YOUR RIGHT TO EXISTENCE !!!

ABDUCTIONS / FORCED BRAIN ELECTRODE/CHIP IMPLANTS / BLACKLISTING / FORCEFUL UNEMPLOYMENT / MK-ULTRA BRAINWASHING AGAINST WHITE(under "NAZI" lie) CIVILIAN POPULATION TODAY IN 2011/2012 ACROSS THE EUROPE AND NORTHERN AMERICA !!!

WHY TO ACCEPT LIABILITIES FOR CRIMES COMMITTED WHEN WE CAN SIMPLY ASSASSINATE OUR VICTIMS(YOU) THANKS TO HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS AND FREE PRESS/MEDIA(most severe censorship of genocide ever !!!)!!
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xGfYOAydjw&w=640&h=390]
    OR
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BostjanAvsec OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE RECORDED LIVE IN 2009 !!! EXILING WHITES(US citizens) WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE AND IMPORTING NON WHITES IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENTS FREE !!!

January 12, 2012 at 14:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. blood pressure treatment

After I originally commented I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I receive 4 emails with the same comment. Is there a means you are able to remove me from that service? Appreciate it!

March 10, 2012 at 16:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Menopause

There is definately a lot to find out about this topic. I like all of the points you've made.

March 18, 2012 at 11:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Healthy Heart and Living

Next time I read a blog, Hopefully it doesn't fail me as much as this one. After all, Yes, it was my choice to read, but I truly thought you would have something interesting to talk about. All I hear is a bunch of complaining about something that you can fix if you weren't too busy looking for attention.

March 18, 2012 at 17:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. means health

I love reading a post that will make people think. Also, thank you for allowing me to comment!

March 31, 2012 at 10:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Menopause

Hey there! I simply wish to offer you a huge thumbs up for your excellent info you've got right here on this post. I am returning to your web site for more soon.

April 1, 2012 at 15:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Menopause

Hi, I do think this is an excellent site. I stumbledupon it ;) I'm going to return once again since i have book-marked it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to help others.

April 1, 2012 at 16:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Menopause

This is the right web site for anyone who would like to understand this topic. You realize so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I personally would want to…HaHa). You certainly put a brand new spin on a subject which has been written about for many years. Wonderful stuff, just great!

April 1, 2012 at 17:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. soulmotion02

With all the shouting going on about America's health care crisis, many are probably finding it difficult to concentrate, much less understand the cause of the problems confronting us. I find myself dismayed at the tone of the discussion (though I understand it-people are scared) as well as bemused that anyone would presume themselves sufficiently qualified to know how to best improve our health care system simply because they've encountered it, when people who've spent entire careers studying it (and I don't mean politicians) aren't sure what to do themselves.
    intramax reviews

April 4, 2012 at 02:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Narcissistic Tendencies

Melanie is a relationship expert on narcissistic tendencies, relationship addiction, self empowerment coach, healer, author, radio host – Australia, UK, USA, global.

April 25, 2012 at 06:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. do it yourself

Hi, I do believe this is an excellent website. I stumbledupon it ;) I'm going to come back yet again since i have bookmarked it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to help other people.

August 2, 2012 at 18:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. blood pressure

You ought to take part in a contest for one of the most useful blogs online. I most certainly will recommend this blog!

August 5, 2012 at 15:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Adrian Penunuri

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm interested in seeing if I'm eligible for a short sale and I can’t figure out how to find a local, highly regarded realtor… do you know anything about this realtor? They're listed in the city of sacramento, in the same city as my office and I can’t find reviews on them – Becky Lund & Associates – Sacramento Realtors, 8814 Madison Avenue #2 Fair Oaks, CA 95628 (916) 531-7124

October 24, 2012 at 20:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. what causes low blood pressure

When I originally left a comment I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on every time a comment is added I recieve four emails with the exact same comment. There has to be an easy method you can remove me from that service? Thanks a lot!

October 25, 2012 at 06:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. blood pressure remedy

Your style is very unique in comparison to other people I have read stuff from. Thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I'll just bookmark this page.

December 31, 2012 at 20:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. aged care facilities

I am so amazed with the creating of your blog, such a nice information and very presentable, thanks for making this one, I will definitely bookmarked this one.

January 25, 2013 at 02:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. new era italia

Chuan Yun Zhongyan loro retroterra ci parecchi pi霉 brillante al pinnacle del pi霉 forte e brillante senior ancora lottando, altri sono feriti ed ex.Legame di rospo? via. 衼 Nord Peijiexiangnai Feidiabengzheng Zhu Changgubeimu scuro alimentato?
    new era italia http://www.neweracappelliitalia.com/