home
RSS
Americans binge drinking more
January 10th, 2012

Americans binge drinking more

Binge drinking is a bigger problem in the United States than previously thought.  Adults binge drink more frequently and consume more drinks when they do, according to the CDC.

Ursula Bauer, Director of the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, announced the findings during a telebriefing Tuesday.  “Excessive alcohol consumption, including binge drinking, accounts for 80,000 deaths in the U.S. each year,” she said, “making it the third leading preventable cause of death.” Those deaths are typically the result of motor vehicle crashes or violence against others while under the influence.

“Binge drinking,” said Bauer, “is defined as consuming four or more drinks on an occasion for women and five or more drinks on an occasion for men.” The new numbers from the CDC's January Vital Signs report reveal that 1 in 6 adults in the United States binge drink, usually 4 times per month, and consume an average of 8 drinks per occasion.

While binge drinking is more common among those with household incomes in excess of $75,000, the largest number of drinks consumed per occasion was greatest for those with household incomes of less than $25,000. Also somewhat surprising: while binge drinking is most common among 18-34 year-olds – when those 65+ binge drink – they do so more frequently.

Dr. Robert Brewer, Alcohol Program Lead for the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health promotion, noted that many binge drinkers are college students, high school students, active military and medical students.

According to the report, more than half of the alcohol adults drink is consumed while binge drinking and more than 90% of the alcohol young people drink is while binge drinking.

Binge drinking, among other things, can lead to unplanned pregnancy, the spread of STDs, SIDS, and – of course – alcohol dependence. Excessive alcohol consumption in men increases the risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, liver, and colon. Women are more vulnerable to brain, heart, and liver damage.

“Binge drinking causes a wide range of health, social, and economic problems,” says CDC Director Thomas Frieden. “We need to work together to implement proven measures to reduce binge drinking at national, state, and community levels.”

No more than 1 drink per day for women and no more than 2 drinks per day for men is considering drinking in moderation.

1. Inciteful

Decriminalize marijuana. You can't binge smoke marijuana.

January 10, 2012 at 14:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • KeithTexas

All the pot heads I know are high all the time, they don't need to binge

January 10, 2012 at 19:39 | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

I've never binged smoking pot. In fact, I can get off with just a few tokes. I could live on someones roaches, that's how little I consume. I gave up alcohol a year ago and won't go back to it. It's addictive and has unhealthy calories. I'd like to smoke pot in the evening at home. I wouldn't drive, though I have to say that I have more control over what I'm doing stoned than I do when I used to drink. And I don't find it addictive. It certainly isn't anything I'd want to do every night. I usually drink herbal caffeine free tea! The most that happens to me is that it's relaxing and I sometimes get the giggles. It really should be legalized for recreational use. I think I've smoked maybe 5 times in the past 40 years and I'd love to be able to use it legally to relax at home. I'm a responsible 60 year old adult who works and I've brought up three wonderful children who are all well-educated and fine human beings. So, don't go calling me a pothead! :-)

January 10, 2012 at 20:45 | Report abuse |
    • Don

@Keith,
      ...and I'm sure all your friends are still in high school.

January 10, 2012 at 20:52 | Report abuse |
    • KC

Right–that's all we need–there aren't enough drunken slobs out there-now we need to add stoners. NOT.

January 10, 2012 at 20:56 | Report abuse |
    • lloyd roberts

Yeah right, Texas Keith. Any cop I know would rather bust up a pot party then bust up a beer balls fight in a bar. Alcohol is dangerous, pot less so. Admit it. Or is that illegal yet to tell the truth in Texas

January 10, 2012 at 21:20 | Report abuse |
    • El Duderino (if you're not into the whole brevity thing)

Not all pot smokers are deadheads. In college I knew and still know many recreational pot smokers. One is an RN, one is electrical engineer, one is a computer science engineer, and many of the others have moved on to universities. In fact one person who helped me out through one of my classes had between a 95% and a100% score on all of his tests (I'm glad I sat next to him), which astonished me because a couple of times in class he smelled "a little funky."

January 11, 2012 at 01:15 | Report abuse |
  2. JT

^what this guy said.

January 10, 2012 at 14:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. JT

Also, if moderation is "no more than 2 drinks" but binging is "more than 5 drinks" for a man, what is 3-4 drinks considered?

I find the amount of alcohol I drink often correlates to the amount of time I'm out drinking (not rocket science). If I start drinking at 7-8 and plan to stay out to 11-12, I'm probably going to consume more than 2 drinks. If I just want to watch some TV at home, one or two beers (or none) would be just fine.

Either way, I'd much rather smoke than drink most of the time. People say that it affects your memory, but not nearly as much as getting drunk and blacking out..

January 10, 2012 at 14:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jimbo

January 10, 2012 at 20:24 | Report abuse |
    • Nah

jim: "I agree w/everything you stated.....Heavy drinking is so much more destructive than smoking herb.I lost a sibling to alcoholism....wish he had been a pot head instead"

First, you're comparing apples and oranges.

Second, pretending marijuana is somehow safer than alcohol is being foolish or willfully ignorant. Marijuana is 50% more carcinogenic than tobacco, it causes severe memory loss that affects more than your memory of the night you smoked, can speed the early onset of psychosis, interferes with the growth of receptors in the brain (and so is detrimental to intelligence in teenagers), etc. etc.

Given the fact that marijuana advocates say smoking marijuana is equivalent to a "weekend of binge drinking", it seems smoking marijuana is much more destructive in many more ways than getting drunk is.

January 10, 2012 at 20:40 | Report abuse |
    • Don

@Nah,

January 10, 2012 at 20:54 | Report abuse |
    • Nah

don: "You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Whatsoever.Not even a little bit. Don't come here with your 2nd grade DARE "education" espousing complete nonsense. Understand?"

Brilliant rebuttal. Totally devoid of any substance, facts, or arguments.

No wonder you're a pothead.

January 10, 2012 at 20:57 | Report abuse |
    • Google

January 10, 2012 at 21:19 | Report abuse |
    • Nah

google: "http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fc%2Fa%2F2012%2F01%2F10%2FBA6G1MNA0G.DTL"

Ah, yes. A true refutation. We're talking cancer rates, psychological effects, loss of memory, etc., and what do you cite as evidence for pot being harmless? A study that focused on lung capacity.

Utterly brilliant.

January 10, 2012 at 21:24 | Report abuse |
    • Bing

Here, how about a study by the pre-eminent scientist in the field of marijuana study, Dr. Donald Tashkin – you know, the one who spent decades helping the government "prove" marijuana was harmful?

This study found no increase whatsoever in lung cancer among those who smoked marijuana. In fact, the opposite was discovered – that marijuana had a slowing effect on the growth of cancer cells. This was the biggest marijuana study ever conducted, by a government-funded scientist with an anti-marijuana agenda – and even he had to admit his error.

Oh, and here's one that proves it doesn't affect lung capacity:

I don't expect you to reply now that I've completely and utterly ripped your argument to shreds. Have a nice night!

January 10, 2012 at 21:52 | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Nah – it says right here in the article that most deaths related to alcohol are due to drunk driving and violence, two things that are rarely attributed to marijuana. There is your proof right there that pot kills by far fewer people than alcohol. Did anyone here make the claim that it had no ill health effects? No, you took it upon yourself to argue that point.

On top of all this, anecdotal evidence from just about all posters here is this: we all know people that lost their lives from alcohol. We don't see that from marijuana

January 10, 2012 at 21:54 | Report abuse |
    • Bing

Also, I don't advocate the use of marijuana or any psychoactive substance (including alcohol or prescription medicines) for those whose brains are still developing. There is significant research to suggest that it can be detrimental to the developing brain. However, it most certainly is not any more harmful than alcohol or cigarettes to adults when used in moderation.

Any psychoactive substance can "speed the onset of psychosis" in individuals who are genetically prone to such mental illnesses. Demonizing marijuana as somehow causing psychosis is ridiculous – it only triggers it in individuals who should never have been smoking in the first place.

Oh, and by the way – I'm a lucid, intelligent, reasonable, respectful, well-educated father with a full-time job who smokes a few times a week after work. I'm extremely good at my job, productive, and have a strong memory. Anecdotal, sure – but certainly proof positive that not everyone who enjoys the substance is a stereotypical "pothead."

January 10, 2012 at 21:56 | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Boys black out its pathetic know yeah limit. Beer has been around a long time. One isn't better than the other. I'd rather drink some beers and let my kidney filter out the toxins. Leaving my body clean and clear. Than smoke which no matter what damages your lungs. Beer leaves yeah system the very next day. Weed a lot longer than that.

January 10, 2012 at 22:23 | Report abuse |
    • Bing

Please, show some proof that it damages your lungs that isn't either 20+ years old or from a biased source.

What do you think the liquor that goes through your organs does to them over time? Hint: it isn't helpful. In fact, you might say it's the opposite of that.

January 10, 2012 at 22:30 | Report abuse |
    • Nah

bing: "This study found no increase whatsoever in lung cancer among those who smoked marijuana. In fact, the opposite was discovered – that marijuana had a slowing effect on the growth of cancer cells. ... Oh, and here's one that proves it doesn't affect lung capacity:"

First, no one was arguing lung capacity.

Second, the study merely reiterates what I said before: marijuana is 50% more carcinogenic than tobacco. The study you've cited, trumpet it as you may, shows only that the incidences of lung cancer were no higher for marijuana users than tobacco users.

Third, the issue was, once again, the effects marijuana has on your mind. From memory, to the early onset of psychosis, to the damage it does in developing brains.

Fourth, the question about marijuana related "deaths" is a non-sequitur. We weren't arguing, once again, whether or not impaired drivers are a danger on the road (though marijuana does impair you), we were arguing about the deleterious personal effects it has.

Hence, your response was non-responsive.

January 10, 2012 at 22:53 | Report abuse |
    • Nah

bing: "Because two posts up from yours I just showed you how the scientist who has studied marijuana more than any other discovered that it doesn't."

Your reading comprehension is terribly poor, isn't it?

No one was talking about the effects marijuana has on lung capacity, etc. The simple issue was whether or not marijuana was "harmful". For the reasons listed above, marijuana is without a doubt harmful on a physical and mental level.

January 10, 2012 at 22:56 | Report abuse |
    • Nah

bing: "Demonizing marijuana as somehow causing psychosis is ridiculous – it only triggers it in individuals who should never have been smoking in the first place."

Which hardly negates the fact that marijuana speeds the onset of psychosis.

"Oh, and by the way – I'm a lucid, intelligent, reasonable, respectful, well-educated father with a full-time job who smokes a few times a week after work."

Ah, but of course. Another pothead who will go to any lengths to justify smoking his beloved hallucinogen. Cherry pick your facts, make absurd inferences (e.g., cancer rates), and conclude that because marijuana isn't any worse than "any other" psychoactive drug, it must therefore be "good" or "harmless" or "okay to use".

Logic isn't your forte. Most likely due to your pot smoking.

January 10, 2012 at 23:00 | Report abuse |
    • Inciteful

To Nah: You are in no position to criticize anyone's logic. Your "facts" are WRONG and your logic STINKS.

January 11, 2012 at 19:01 | Report abuse |
  4. Circle R

"Those deaths are typically the result of motor vehicle crashes or violence against others while under the influence."

That's why I stay at home and binge drink alone. : ]

January 10, 2012 at 14:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. comon sense

i must be one of the very few left on earth that stays the heck away from the crap its nothing but a nusence to the world and kills off people brain cells and smarts.

January 10, 2012 at 15:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jasmine

But apparently staying away from booze "comon" sense, does nothing for your spelling skills. Which, by the way, makes it look like you are missing "smarts"

January 10, 2012 at 16:15 | Report abuse |
    • JohnnyT

Funny, I drink like a fish but I'm still able to write legible sentences. Maybe you should try taking a nip occasionally.

January 10, 2012 at 16:15 | Report abuse |
    • Rethink

JohnnyT, you missed a comma.

January 10, 2012 at 21:12 | Report abuse |
  6. NYCitizen

Isn't there any truth to the saying "Everything in moderation" anymore???? And would not "moderation" depend upon the individual and not some scientist/doctor saying 1-2 drinks for men and 1 drink for women....???? I know a lot of women who can put it away when it comes to drinking...not on a daily basis either...and they seem to be ok....and would not genetics have a say in all of this too?

January 10, 2012 at 15:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Wastrel

Government statistics are as good a reason as any to binge.

January 10, 2012 at 15:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. jimbo

Its always been that way...we used to get sloshed every Friday at a famous happy hour during college..totally blasted by 6pm

January 10, 2012 at 15:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jasmine

Gotta go – I'm late for happy hour

January 10, 2012 at 16:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jimbo

it ends in 15 minutes...hurry!!

January 10, 2012 at 16:45 | Report abuse |
  10. what

But it's no fun to just drink two beers

January 10, 2012 at 16:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Al K. Haul

Nonsense – you ONLY have two! The FIRST one and the LAST one!! ;D

January 10, 2012 at 18:56 | Report abuse |
  11. Graxus

This bothers me.
    “We need to work together to implement proven measures to reduce binge drinking at national, state, and community levels"

No. You want to impose regulations on people, preventing them from participating in an activity they clearly enjoy. People already know alcohol is bad for the body. So is smoking, watching TV, sitting down, skiing, and grinding your teeth (reading articles on CNN). We still want to do things we know are bad for us, its our personal choice.

Mind your own business for once. Ignore our binge drinking and we will ignore your collection of clipped fingernails that you occasionally sift through before shaking peoples hands.

January 10, 2012 at 16:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • alan seago

Graxus, the people in the U.S. Government know more about what is good for us than we know ourselves. I don't know why you would challenge the wisdom of people in the governmment.

January 10, 2012 at 17:35 | Report abuse |
    • Graxus

alan, thank you. I was unaware of that, now I know my place. ; )

January 10, 2012 at 18:08 | Report abuse |
  12. dasboot

I'm drunk right now

January 10, 2012 at 17:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Sunny Murchison

It's called ALCHÑHOLISM.

January 10, 2012 at 17:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Sunny Murchison

It's called being an ALCOHOLIC. Get out of the denial aspect of the dreaded disease that wants you dead no matter what you call your addicted/compulsive relationship with booze. The disease is patient and waits for you, to literally kill you, to snuff you out at any cost.

January 10, 2012 at 17:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jimbo

well said-As I stated above I lost a sibling because of that compulsion/addiction.Its evil if you cant control it.

January 10, 2012 at 20:26 | Report abuse |
  15. ericwhyte

If by 'occasion' you mean 'all day', then I binge drink most every Saturday and Sunday, and most Friday nights.

January 10, 2012 at 17:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Umyslowly

Good point. I start drinking Friday night and "maintain" to Sunday night until I have to start getting ready for the workweek. Does this qualify as only drinking once per week? I stay perma-buzzed and don't drive.

January 10, 2012 at 21:14 | Report abuse |
  16. MashaSobaka

Alcohol is tied to so many murders, manslaughters, assaults, rapes, accidents and abuses that it sometimes amazes me that it's even legal. I'd love to go with the "these people are adults and can live their lives the way they want" argument, but when they act like children and when their choices destroy other people's lives then such reasoning doesn't really fly. At the very least we need more control, more restriction, and much harsher punishments for those who refuse to acknowledge their limit. If you can't get through your week without getting wasted then you need to rethink your life and rethink it NOW.

January 10, 2012 at 18:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • KeithTexas

Through out history there have never been a people that didn't use drugs or alcohol to escape reality at times. If a person can do it responsibly (not hurt others, or themselves) then there is no problem.

The problem with the study is that the researchers are denying the need for escape. Their proposal is ludicrous, if you aren't going to change your reality why would you drink at all?

January 10, 2012 at 19:45 | Report abuse |
    • sharky

That is why I laugh when people say prohibition didn't work. The lack of it has not worked either.

January 10, 2012 at 21:32 | Report abuse |
  17. YourMom

This is beyond stupid. If I go to bar for 5 hours and have 5 drinks, I'm considered a binge drinker?

January 10, 2012 at 18:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Big Al

It's all B.S. and I'll drink to that! I'm over 60, been binge drinking since I was 20, chain smoked until I was 55, can still run, work out, please the ladies, AND spell. It's all in the genes. All you wimps can ........................!

January 10, 2012 at 20:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rachel

Let's see if you make it to 80 or 90. I wouldn't bet on your genes that much. If you don't get cancer from drinking or smoking, the enviroment will probably get to you.

January 10, 2012 at 20:48 | Report abuse |
    • Janet

Yes yes yes!!! Leave people alone! My grandma lived to 98 and had a brandy or two daily.
      Have any of you sheeple checked out what's in your muti-vitamin that the media tells you to take and you follow blindly?

January 10, 2012 at 21:15 | Report abuse |
    • sharky

@Janet–

So a brandy or two daily is now the definition of BINGE drinking? Weird.

January 10, 2012 at 21:28 | Report abuse |
  19. Big Al

And God bless America!

January 10, 2012 at 20:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. JJ

I used to drink very heavy, binging almost every time. Ultimately, I had to stop it all together. I don't smoke any more either. But, that's just my choice and what works for me. If you want to get smashed / high / whatever go for it. So long as you don't harm me or my family we are all good.

January 10, 2012 at 20:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. coderjones

given the way the government allows other corporations to play with and loose other people's money – then use tax money to bail them out – gee i wonder why people drown their sorrows

January 10, 2012 at 20:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. oOOOPs

Binge drinking dulls your fashion senses and is the number one contributor to deadly print shirt, plaid pants mixes!

January 10, 2012 at 20:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. colonelingus

These immortal words from the great Homer J. Simpson. " Alcohol is the cause of and answer to all of life's problems". D"oh!

January 10, 2012 at 20:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. RJJ009

So why not let people choose the safer alternative of marijuana instead of steering them towards alcohol? It makes no sense that criminalize people who use marijuana while celebrating the culture of alcohol with our kids at football games to Oktoberfests.

January 10, 2012 at 20:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nah

rj: "So why not let people choose the safer alternative of marijuana instead of steering them towards alcohol?"

Lol. "Safer" alternative.

Have you read any of the medical literature and studies done on marijuana?

Or do you merely believe marijuana is harmless because you couldn't bear to admit that you smoke a drug that's psychologically deleterious?

January 10, 2012 at 21:07 | Report abuse |
  25. Psbfla

The article states that binge drinking can cause pregnancy. It does not however mention that it can also be a major factor in getting your butt kicked, it can make you think that you can sing and dance better than the rest, and it can Mack you tink you kan type reel gode.

January 10, 2012 at 20:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Aaron

This is America, if you don't like Alcohol move to Afghanistan or Yemen I hear it's quite nice over there (even though it's illegal...they drink secretly there anyways).

January 10, 2012 at 21:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sharky

They are also junkies thanks to the poppies.

January 10, 2012 at 21:26 | Report abuse |
    • me

Nuthin' wrong with a little Afghan black hash. Funny how that and cheap smack were so common during the Reagan years when the Mujahedin (sp) freedom fighters were fighting the Soviets. Of course, they turned from freedom fighters to terrorists when they started fighting us. And all theat yummy black hash disappeared.

January 10, 2012 at 22:27 | Report abuse |
    • sharky

@me–

As in heroin, not hash.

January 10, 2012 at 22:42 | Report abuse |
  27. Janet

OMG. If people want to drink let them drink. It's safer than meds. I tseems every few years we find out some anti-depressant makes you grow a third arm. My grandma had a brandy every night before she went to bed. And that was the one she told us about. Leave people alone . And God bless alcohol!!!

January 10, 2012 at 21:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sharky

And if you are killed by a drunk driver, no big deal right, let them drink. WOO

January 10, 2012 at 22:43 | Report abuse |
  28. Nate in CA

You know, I hate the criteria used. 5 or more drinks. If we're talking beer, it ain't too much booze, really. If we're talking wine, well thats a little more wine. If we're talking the insano manhattan I was served at the bar last week, holy bajeezus that was worth like 5 drinks by itself.

January 10, 2012 at 21:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Rob

I can't keep track of all things I'm suppose to be doing to live longer. It's very stressful! I can't take it any more!

January 10, 2012 at 21:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ﺶCHEﺶ

Hey buddy, hold on! Pls. don't do anything stupid.
      Life is not that bad; until a bunch of mentally challenged, idiotic greedy, fat PIGS holding the progress of this country hostage solely for the hate of a single Blackman as Pres. of US due to the color of his skin. Hold on till Nov. 2012 where the silent majority like you will kick them out of Washington, DC to their primitive backwoods in America. If it becomes toooo much for to take, call mum she’s the only one who understands your pains and struggles better.

January 11, 2012 at 10:13 | Report abuse |
  30. USA is a Christian nation!!!!

USA WILL NO LONGER BE A CHRISTIAN COUNTRY *** UNTIL*** Christmas Day, Good Friday & Easter Sunday are no longer federal, state and flag days. "In God We Trust" is no longer national motto and on currency, Public schools stay open on Christmas / Easter week and we get Non-Christian president!!!!!!

January 10, 2012 at 21:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nah

You're trying too hard at trolling.

January 10, 2012 at 21:30 | Report abuse |
    • Bostoncreme

It seems like you are binging too much? Time to sleep.

January 10, 2012 at 21:53 | Report abuse |
    • ﺶCHEﺶ

Oh mine!
      What the heck are you talking about?
      FYI: Americans are modern day FAKE Christians ......... period! Take that to Bank of America headed by Christians.
      Reminder, take your meds. it will make you feel a lot better through the day. The last time we checked, Jesus turned water in WINE to get people drunk and to keep the party going till dawn.
      If getting drunk was bad for you; he would have said so.
      Ques. what Bible do you read? Bible written by Pat Roberts or Oral Roberts or Jim Baker or and the rest? Come on spill it! I was educated in a Catholic boarding School. And Bible knowledge (or BK) was and still is like Adv. Calculus. Tell me something that I don't know in the so-called Scriptures or the Living Bible? Will ya?
      I dare you, you won't even try.

January 11, 2012 at 10:54 | Report abuse |
  31. lloyd roberts

And the alcohol lobby and the prison for hire industry keep marijuana illegal while 0,000 people a year die from alcohol. American injustice

January 10, 2012 at 21:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. sharky

Eh, we are overpopulated, time to thin it out.

January 10, 2012 at 21:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Meki60

get Al Gore to broker some binge credits, for every credit you buy, Gore will get a Paki to not drink to equalize the risk.

January 10, 2012 at 21:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Whatever

Even Jesus had more than 2 drinks per day! AMEN!

January 10, 2012 at 21:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • C. Al Currier

"Even Jesus had more than 2 drinks per day! AMEN!" ...whatever

2K+ years ago, the wine usually had very little alcohol content. The purpose of fermented drinks had more to do with the lack of potable water.

January 10, 2012 at 21:44 | Report abuse |
  35. me

Work is the curse of the drinking class.

January 10, 2012 at 21:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. smashed

I am on welfare and I sit at home all day drinking two cases of beer a day, in the eveving my son takes me bowling and I have two pictures and a strike every time. I get up at 6am aqnd start drinking for brealfast

January 10, 2012 at 21:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jack Daniels

No doubt you voted for Obama.

January 10, 2012 at 22:02 | Report abuse |
    • ﺶCHEﺶ

To Racist Jack Daniels, FYI brothers (a.k.a Black people) don't bowl.
      Racist pothead dummy, if you do go to any bowling house in America, all you see are mostly white folks. Like a typical dumb teabaggar, this proves your lack of logic, basic common sense and a clear indication that you have never set foot in any bowling house. The description given fits a typical pattern of your lazy fat stinky ASS irks of your race on welfare. Punk these are the Stats of American's Welfare by Race and skin color:-
      US Welfare Stats:
      Whites: 34%
      Blacks: 22%
      Hispanics: 17%

Dummy who paid for your bus rides, meals and hotel room and board across the country in 2010? Pres. Obama or corrupt, coward, timid, impotent midget white men a.k.a. the Kock brothers?

You wanna dispute these FACTS? Try it.

January 12, 2012 at 01:25 | Report abuse |
  37. TopSider82

Binge Drinking has not and will never lead to "unplanned pregnancies or STD's". Oh the ignorance! it may very well alter your decision making process, but should never be equated to sexual relations.

January 10, 2012 at 21:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. me

I've smoked with a judge, a state trooper, several cops, the mayor of a small upstate NY city, a real, live brain surgeon, College professors, Auto mechanics, one investment banker, many musicians, teachers, archeologists, lots of rednecks, a well known local TV personality, a couple of lawyers, cooks, students, rich people, poor people, a minister at a really fancy church, a couple of truck drivers (they never smoked on driving days), random people at concerts, a ton of bikers, black people, white people, hispanics and Asians, even my buddy's dog who loved it..... I've never smoked with Eskimos or a person named Nigel. Other than them, everybody does it, don't kid yourself. Back when I had chronic pain for a couple of years from a bad car accident (hit, ironically, by a drunk driver) it worked much better than the nasty pharmaceuticals they gave me. Legalize it, regulate it and tax it. Think of all the money we'd save in law enforcement alone. And it sure would solve a lot of problems in Mexico although they've got a lot of other drugs to be worried about as well. Anyway, isn't it about time we faced up to reality? Peace.

January 10, 2012 at 21:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jack Daniels

All that proves is that you hang out with dumb@$$ people.

January 10, 2012 at 22:05 | Report abuse |
    • me

Really, JD? Most of them are quite successful. I've got a nice job, a modest house, will be debt free in about a year, except for my house note and my car's paid for although it's a piece of cr@p. P.S. I took the SATs stoned and scored the highest in my school, no pun intended. That said, I haven't smoked in years, just kinda grew out of it. I have a few beers every night and a nice scotch now and then.

January 10, 2012 at 22:17 | Report abuse |
  39. sheebbee

Did the author actually think that binge drinking leads to SIDS or sudden infant death syndrome. I suspect a lazy editing eye with the intended word being AIDS.

January 10, 2012 at 21:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. BeerGoggles

Ugly girls cause binge drinking......

January 10, 2012 at 21:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. PhilG.

Binge drinking destroys your insides,all of it.

I know-I did it and now I can't drink ANY beer and I have to eat oatmeal everyday just to not have to have surgery to correct my messed up insides.

You've been warned-binge at Twenty -no alchohol and oatmeal mandatory EVERY DAY at Fifty.

It SUCKS!

January 10, 2012 at 21:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. hexman13

Stoners and drunks always justify and rationalize their addiction.

January 10, 2012 at 22:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jack Daniels

I represent that remark!

January 10, 2012 at 22:10 | Report abuse |
    • luis rubet

While straight heads rule/ruin the world for the rest of us with there self righteousness because their so "clearheaded"

January 11, 2012 at 07:49 | Report abuse |
    • luis rubet

George Washington was a Pothead. So was Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson and many for our founding fathers. Abe Lincoln smoke also and he was religious. We where made to commune with the plant.

January 11, 2012 at 07:53 | Report abuse |
  43. Corn

Alcohol is not a disease. Human Beings are.

January 10, 2012 at 22:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Jack Daniels

With Obama in the White House, is it any wonder?

January 10, 2012 at 22:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. me

I'm seriously considering quitting smoking and drinking and switching to ibogamine. I mean what's not to like about psychedelic South American tree bark powder that you snort and then giant 2-foot long ribbons of snot run out of your nose as you cross into the spirit world. I'm predicting it'll be the next big club drug. There's already underground buzz about it in Ibiza. Moms and dads: if you find a bunch of really snotty handkerchieves in your kid's laundry pile and some Peruvian pan-flute recordings on their iPod, it may already be too late.

January 10, 2012 at 22:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Jimbob Jay Wienstien

Ill Drink to that bottoms up

January 10, 2012 at 22:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Alex in NJ

This actually made me want a beer. To the fridge!!!

January 10, 2012 at 22:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. me

If you sniff glue to escape reality, does that make you Gloudini?

January 10, 2012 at 22:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. biff

Alcohol is delicious.

January 10, 2012 at 22:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Billy

You can always count on the potheads who can't function without getting high and the idiotic juvenile comments about drinking. I'm not sure which group is bigger bunch of losers.

January 10, 2012 at 22:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • me

Biggest losers? People who are all strung out on "the Lord." Man, they make me want to puke.

January 10, 2012 at 22:30 | Report abuse |