home
RSS
What the Yuck: My pee is bright green!
December 23rd, 2011

What the Yuck: My pee is bright green!

Q: My pee is suddenly bright green, even though I drink tons of water. What’s going on?

Normally, the color of your urine should be between almost clear and dark yellow.

Neon-green pee may look alarming, but it’s usually just a sign that you’re getting too much of certain vitamins - B vitamins, in particular - and that your body is flushing out the excess.

That said, if you notice it regularly, talk to your doc about whether you should cut back on your B intake.

Copyright Health Magazine 2011

1. Garrett

Never had this problem. I'm probably lacking in a whole bunch, even for how fit and healthy I eat.

December 23, 2011 at 15:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. ferrara

Green could also just be from eating asparagus.

December 23, 2011 at 16:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. VEGIES

usually CRANBERRY JUICE & DRIED cranberries eaten regularly help to flush out the kidneys

December 24, 2011 at 00:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Nadel Espinel

Dont worry about light green colour urine, it is common specialy if you are taking Healthy Options supplements like vitamins of herbal tablets. Me also the same thing beacuse I am taking a vitamins C daliy the colour of my pee is really yellowish with vitamins smell.

December 25, 2011 at 11:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jezreel Ricafort

I agree with that, because everyday i am taking an optiberry food supplements and my pee is look like light green. The colour of the tables that im taking is green colour.

December 25, 2011 at 11:12 | Report abuse |
  5. Bubba

I ate a sack of licorice one night and my poop was bright green.

December 27, 2011 at 21:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mee HeeHee

That's because you're greedy. Hee hee.

December 28, 2011 at 15:37 | Report abuse |
    • kelly

I agree... I ate a bunch, well a lot of black jellybeans one year and everything came out bright green. I thought it was hysterical.

January 3, 2012 at 23:11 | Report abuse |
  6. LaLu

One day my young daughter came in from school and went straight to the bathroom. She came out very scared, said her urine was green. I had put a green toilet freshner in the tank.

December 29, 2011 at 01:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Uh oh

Eating a hefty bowl of Fruity Pebbles will give you technicolor poopies.

December 30, 2011 at 13:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Auld

When did it become acceptable to use words like pee or poop? When I was a kid, I would have been sent to my room for using either vulgarity.

I am asking seriously........I don't like it.

January 1, 2012 at 03:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • h

No, you cannot be serious.

January 2, 2012 at 19:45 | Report abuse |
    • dave

I'm with you- tiny words for tiny minds!

January 29, 2012 at 19:47 | Report abuse |
  9. Just Bright, not green!

Maybe it's an indication not to take vitamins?

A study shows that people that take vitamins on regular basis die about 5 years earlier than people that don't take vitamins at all.

January 5, 2012 at 15:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. jack

Red Bull makes your urine green™

January 10, 2012 at 21:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Monster

drinking to many monster energy drinks will do that also

July 20, 2012 at 01:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Bella

Mine's been a light green /yellow for a while, and I don't know why.
    It's been that color before, but I think it has something to do with the vitamins I'm taking.
    When ever I'm lazy of tired and stuff, it comes out that colour. But when I'm active and sleep well, it gets yellow again.
    I didn't tell my parents yet, because it's not that big of a deal, but I am happy to know that this is quite normal.

September 8, 2012 at 11:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Bozo the Clone

Explanation for the "peeing of the green"? It's Saint Patrick's Day!

March 17, 2013 at 18:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. ClingenKristaL

Perhaps it's just angry?
    Get it?
    ... because the hulk turns green... when he is angry...
    In all seriousness, energy drinks such as Red Bull and Monster (especially Monster) may turn your urine green if you drink to much of it.

November 20, 2014 at 13:24 | Report abuse | Reply