home
RSS
What the Yuck: Is it gross to reuse floss?
December 18th, 2011

What the Yuck: Is it gross to reuse floss?

Q: Am I totally gross for reusing my floss picks?

Well, you’re not gross. But, yes, the practice of reusing your picks is!

Floss is used to remove plaque, food particles, and bacteria from between your teeth. If you reuse it, you may reintroduce the old bacteria, which can lead to more plaque, and even some new varieties of bacteria that may have been lurking wherever you store your picks.

In other words: bad idea.

Copyright Health Magazine 2011

1. Poodles

What in the world would make you think to reuse floss? Do you reuse condoms too?

December 19, 2011 at 11:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • IGotAComment

For 10+ years I have tied loops in the ends of my floss so I can hold it easily without strangling the distal half of my 'flossing fingers.' I also use rinse with a small amount of peroxide before I floss to help bubble out bacteria. A year ago I started using G-U-M Soft-Picks by Sunstar every other night. I have gone from years of chronic gingivitis to a near perfect dental cleaning per my dental hygenist. It works for me and I reuse the floss. I also used an electric toothbrush. And as far as 'Yuck, reuse floss,' you use that same old nasty toothbrush for how long???

December 20, 2011 at 11:03 | Report abuse |
  2. Portland tony

How about TP. Reuse that too? Is that a yuck you're to embarrassed to ask your doctor about? Gimme a break!

December 19, 2011 at 12:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. IGotAComment

I have reused monofiliment floss for years and my dental hygienist says my gums are in excellent shape. Of course I also hydrogen peroxide that helps eliminate pesky bacteria.

Of more concern is the use of the toothbrush. All those densely packed bristles that hold moisture, food particles and BACTERIA. And you pick on a single length of easily washed and dried floss. Shame on you. Now, maybe multifiliment floss has other characteristics. Best to go with a monofiliment and a small amount of peroxide.

December 20, 2011 at 10:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. drew

Cheapskate....Cheapskate ....

December 22, 2011 at 21:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. The Teeth Whitening Cure

A "Bad Idea" is asking a medical doctor's advice on floss. If it works for you, do it, no matter what the AMA or ADA says.

December 31, 2011 at 08:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Name*Julie

Thank you! My roommate leaves used and then reused floss picks all over the house and it is disgusting and embarrassing... especially when people come to visit and find them hiding on the dinner table between the salt & pepper shakers!

January 11, 2017 at 07:46 | Report abuse | Reply