home
RSS
FDA says HCG weight-loss products are illegal
December 6th, 2011

FDA says HCG weight-loss products are illegal

Over-the-counter HCG products being sold for weight loss are illegal and claims that the drugs work are unsubstantiated, the Food and Drug Administration warned consumers Tuesday.

HGC products are sold online and in stores as pellets, sprays or oral drops. These products are considered by the FDA to be unapproved new drugs.

Last week, the FDA, along with the Federal Trade Commission sent warning letters to seven companies manufacturing human chorionic gonadotropin, or HCG, products labeled "homeopathic." The products in question are "hCG Diet Drops Weight Loss Formula," "hCG Diet Pellets Weight Loss Formula," "Alcohol Free hCG Weight Loss Formula,""HCG Fusion 30," "HCG Fusion 43," "Homeopathic Original HCG," Homeopathic HCG," "HCG Platinum X-30," "HCG Platinum X-14" "HCG Diet Homeopathic Drops," and "HCG Extra Weight Loss Homeopathic Drops."

According to the labels, these products should be taken with a "very low calorie diet." This is a very dangerous way to use the HCG supplement, according to the FDA.

“These HCG products marketed over-the-counter are unproven to help with weight loss and are potentially dangerous even if taken as directed,” said Ilisa Bernstein, acting director of the Office of Compliance in FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. “And a very low-calorie diet should only be used under proper medical supervision.”

The FDA says people on such diets have an increased risk of heart arrhythmia's, electrolyte imbalance and gallstones. Currently no HCG products for weight loss have been approved by the agency.

Companies have 15 days to tell the agency what corrective actions they will take, otherwise the FDA will take legal action ranging from seizure to criminal prosecution.

“Deceptive advertising about weight loss products is one of the most prevalent types of fraud,” said David Vladeck, director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. “Any advertiser who makes health claims about a product is required by federal law to back them up with competent and reliable scientific evidence, so consumers have the accurate information they need to make good decisions.”

1. christy

Good! People should have better sense than to use crap like this.

December 6, 2011 at 15:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Happy Customer

Don't talk about something you know nothing about.

December 6, 2011 at 16:29 | Report abuse |
    • Execusuite

Happy Customer, how do you know this person you just jumped on hasn't taken HCG products?

December 6, 2011 at 17:07 | Report abuse |
    • Willow

Your right but people do not research these supplements, they just believe any nonsense the companies who are selling the product tells them.

December 6, 2011 at 17:51 | Report abuse |
    • heliocracy

Hey Happy Customer, did it ever occur to you that if you eat a low-calorie diet, you're going to lose weight without taking the HCG? Doesn't it tell you anything that every single diet pill out there tells you that you have to eat less and exercise more for the drug to "work?" I mean, how stupid are you?

December 6, 2011 at 18:31 | Report abuse |
  2. Kevin O.

You know what? I have this ancient proven not so secret method of weight loss and overall body health. If you want to know my secret for building muscle and losing fat while consuming food, ask me. ^^

December 6, 2011 at 15:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • T3chsupport

South Bronx Parasite diet baby!

December 6, 2011 at 17:05 | Report abuse |
    • Leo

Ooh! Ooh! I KNOW! It's called EXERCISE!

December 6, 2011 at 17:24 | Report abuse |
  3. Tom

The FDA has no right to tell me what I will or will not put into my body. My body is my property; the FDA owns no part of my body. Any FDA employee who participates in this action is in violation of their oath and should be immediately dismissed.

December 6, 2011 at 15:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Stud

So, you can use any drug you want because it's your body?

December 6, 2011 at 16:01 | Report abuse |
    • Xen1313

Actually, in a truly free society, you would have no right to say anything about what I want to do to myself, as long as my actions did not directly harm others.

December 6, 2011 at 16:31 | Report abuse |
    • Chris R

Actually your statement about the FDA is entirely untrue. Nice try though.

December 6, 2011 at 17:09 | Report abuse |
    • steve

@xen, if that is the case, then the FDA can say it is illegal to sell these pills because they have the potential to harm others, make it yourself and your comment will be valid...

December 6, 2011 at 17:10 | Report abuse |
    • Hank D

Yes they do. Isn't that one of their main reason for being created? I myself appreciate them for what they do, and unless you would like to have an asbestos laced sandwich you should to.

December 6, 2011 at 17:13 | Report abuse |
    • misunderstood

Actually, its all about the false advertising.

December 6, 2011 at 17:14 | Report abuse |
    • patcee

I was on this crap years ago and ended up with a horrible vitamin deficiency. This stuff doesn't do anything for weight loss, it's the 500 calories per day diet that does that. Why can the FDA take these off the shelves and still permit those fake clinics to use it just by using a doctor's name on the clinic? Lindora Clinics should be closed down too. They make people believe it's legitimate because they are called "under the care of a physician," when they actuallly never even see a doctor.

December 6, 2011 at 17:49 | Report abuse |
    • Medical Student

The FDA isn't telling you what to put in your body. The FDA is telling manufacturers of this product that they cannot sell or market it anymore because their claims are invalid, they are lying to consumers and HCG is not without it's health risks.

December 6, 2011 at 17:55 | Report abuse |
    • Science!

The FDA action is not directed at consumers like Tom, (you can eat turd if you want), but rather the manufacturers of food and drug products. It's about the safety and efficacy of the nations drug supply and FDA responsibility to protect consumers from harmful products. Is that ok with you turd eater?

December 6, 2011 at 17:59 | Report abuse |
    • Wonder Woman

That was a completely inane comment. We have the FDA for reasons such as these. There are SO many products that label themselves as "homeopathic" to avoid the FDA. This needs to stop. Are there things that should be changed in the FDA, sure, like every other gov't agency or company for that matter. But all in all, glad we have it in our country. Look at all the crap that the chinese ingest and have in their products!

December 6, 2011 at 18:05 | Report abuse |
  4. DumbPeople

Do people know where HCG comes from? It's extracted from the urine of pregnant women.

December 6, 2011 at 15:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Stud

Hot women or fugly women?

December 6, 2011 at 16:00 | Report abuse |
    • DOROTHY

I was on the HCG shots when i was younger...lost a good 60 lbs, but gained it all back and then some after i stopped the shots!!!! and u r correct...it is from the urine of pregnant women!!!!

December 6, 2011 at 16:06 | Report abuse |
    • SAMBO

Will my PG neighbor just give me some of her urine or should I suspend a sponge in her toilet and then hide in the closet and wait?

December 6, 2011 at 17:00 | Report abuse |
    • GinaNSocal

And most people know that the female hormone replacement Premarin comes from pregnant MARES

December 6, 2011 at 17:43 | Report abuse |
  5. Joan

Does this include the medically supervised program available at my physician' s office?
    It came from a pharmacy.

December 6, 2011 at 15:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dr. L

yes there is a black box FDA warning against using HCG for weight loss. That means doctors are counseled in the strongest terms possible that the medication is not to be prescribed for that purpose.

December 6, 2011 at 16:30 | Report abuse |
    • Medical Student

just because some doctor somewhere is willing to take a pharm rep's word over hard clinical evidence doesn't mean it's legal, ethical, or safe.

the actual clinical testing of this product shows it does not work. Therefore, any risks posed by HCG are not outweighed by the potential benefit anymore, and therefore, prescribing this is unethical (and now possibly illegal), doing so could result in medical malpractice and potentially license review by an ethics board if they continued to do so after this drug had been banned by the FDA.

December 6, 2011 at 17:59 | Report abuse |
  6. Brad

I say let stupid people do what they want. Shorter life means those with common sense can flurish. It's the buffalo theory at work.

December 6, 2011 at 15:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jables19

@Brad, do the stupid people include those who can't spell "flourish"? Does that mean you get eliminated in the first round?

December 6, 2011 at 17:14 | Report abuse |
  7. skinsrock

OOPS... The FDA didn't get their cut.

December 6, 2011 at 15:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jenn2012

EXACTLY!!!

December 6, 2011 at 16:39 | Report abuse |
    • melpa

you called it!

December 6, 2011 at 17:18 | Report abuse |
    • GinaNSocal

There ya go !!

December 6, 2011 at 17:45 | Report abuse |
  8. TS

Those are some ugly feet

December 6, 2011 at 15:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kevin O.

I agree. You can give those a pedicure all you want, those are still some stubby, bent hammered toes. I would assume cankles are located not so far above.

December 6, 2011 at 16:01 | Report abuse |
    • jill

There's no nails on the pinky toes.

December 6, 2011 at 16:22 | Report abuse |
    • Tom LI

amen! Woof! First thought I had when I linked to this story...yikes...might a be Yeti feet..! (Shaved of course)

December 6, 2011 at 16:38 | Report abuse |
    • Margaret Thatcher

That was the first thing I thought of, too! Did they pull this from some sort of podiatry disorder website? If you're going to pay for stock photography, at least get something pretty!

December 6, 2011 at 17:09 | Report abuse |
  9. rATL

DAMN!! I better stock up on mine now. I do the injections though not the pills. It worked like a charm dropped those last 15 stubborn pounds in 23 days! Kept it off for over a year now.

December 6, 2011 at 15:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Happy

I did the drops. It worked wonderful lost 15 lbs during the 1st 3 weeks. Hoping to start it again in Feb. Guess I better go get my supply now.

December 6, 2011 at 18:49 | Report abuse |
  10. Badgers

Such crap. This is a money grubbing attack on homeopathic remedies. I am a skeptic about HCG but my wife has lost over 40 pounds doing this, and a friend lost 100 pounds.

The reason they are banning this is because Big Pharma doesnt like things that work AND dont cost billions of dollars.

FDA = CRIMINALS

December 6, 2011 at 16:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Richard

Anyone can lose weight ..... anyone. Lets see how fat they are in two years. Keeping it off is very difficult. Unless life style changes are made it comes right back. Eat less, move more!!!!

December 6, 2011 at 16:27 | Report abuse |
    • Dr. L

HCG is >>NOT<< a "homeopathic remedy" as you allege. Read up on exactly what homeopathy is before you go slinging words around that you don't know the meaning of.

December 6, 2011 at 16:32 | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Heck, I've got it all planned out. I've lost 90 lbs already... have 60 to go to reach my ideal weight. Once I'm there, every time I gain 15 lbs I'll go on the diet for 21 days. Problem solved. Yeesh, people. It's a hormone. S'ok. For one thing, the homeopathic stuff doesn't even have the real hormone in it. And the real stuff? You don't even take enough to register on a pregnancy test. HOWEVER, pee on a ketone stick and it proves you're burning fat and not muscle.

December 8, 2011 at 22:03 | Report abuse |
  11. Kay

FDA will condemn anything that doesn't kill you. They condemn natural herbal supplements and anything you might want to do to improve your life and or is healthy for you. There is nothing wrong with HCG, I personally have taken the HCG and I have lost over 70 lbs. FDA has no right to tell me what I can or can't take to improve my lifestyle! Sorry FDA...I will not take an approved FDA drug because they have been known to kill and destroy organs. Sorry, I'm not into anal leakage!

December 6, 2011 at 16:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Richard

Get ready to put the weight back on moron.

December 6, 2011 at 16:24 | Report abuse |
    • Richard

You must be a true American..... afraid of anything the Government is involved in. Grow up.

December 6, 2011 at 16:28 | Report abuse |
    • Margaret Thatcher

Anecdotal evidence =/= scientific fact

December 6, 2011 at 17:11 | Report abuse |
    • AK in Austin TX

Agreed.

December 6, 2011 at 17:39 | Report abuse |
    • AK in Austin TX

clarification: Agree with the poster. HHCG works.

December 6, 2011 at 17:39 | Report abuse |
    • Amy

It's called a Ketone stick. Don't be calling people names. It's been proven to work. I don't care what the FDA says.

December 8, 2011 at 22:06 | Report abuse |
  12. dbd

FDA keeps all kinds of medical cures and medications that can help or resolve problems from the USA. They shouldn't have the final say, they are owned by pharmacies regardless of their name!

December 6, 2011 at 16:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Gimmick Pharmacists.com

Anyone who wants a miracle drug that can make you loose weight without spending all that time and energy working out and actually doing something... I've got the perfect cure for you. I can sell you a potion that will make you lose weigh regardless of what you eat and how lazy you are. The special ingredient in my potion is… a Tape Worm. Provides you with that weight loss you are looking for without the side effects of other gimmicks.

Do yourself a favor and work hard walking/running and excercising to lose weight. Nothing in life is perfect, so if you trust your body to gimmick drugs they may help you lose weight but are also doing harm to your body in some other way.

Life is hard work.

December 6, 2011 at 16:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kris

OK, I'd love some suggestions. Here's my info: I am a female, over 60, and I am about 15 lbs overweight, with a BMI of about 23. My basal metabolism is 1150 calories a day...multiple measurements over an 8 month period confirm that. I am in excellent physical condition...my blood chemistry is excellent, and my doctor checks everything, not just the standard cholesterol/CBC numbers. My minimum heart rate is 44 and my max is 179. I burn approximately 2000 calories a day on a day I exercise at least an hour. I've exercised up to 3 hours a day and never gotten my calorie burn up over 2400 calories.I have no "afterburn" = even after getting my heart rate up to my "intense" zone above 158, as soon as i stop exercising and sit down, it drops back to under 80 within 2 minutes. I have trouble getting my HR above 140; even a moderate jog normally only gets it up between 125 and 135, which only counts as "moderate" exercise and is under 6 METS. I try to exercise every day, but on days I miss, my calorie burn drops to about 1400 calories. I've tracked this information for 9 months, I am sure of my numbers; I use a Polar Heart rate monitor and also use a Bodymedia armband. To maintain my weight, I can't eat over 1500 calories a day because one day a week we have a family dinner, complete with wine and dessert, and this is enough to eliminate any calorie deficit I have for the week. I am a reasonably active person; I work full time as well as working out. So how are diet and exercise alone going to get me down that last 15 lbs – I've been trying for 2 years now and can't quite reach it – and to a BMI of 22?

December 6, 2011 at 17:58 | Report abuse |
    • patcee

Exercise won't do it and diet won't do it – you have to work out a combination of the two and change your whole lifestyle. There is so much publicity now about how to lose weight and be healthy – I have to believe most people are just ignoring it and looking for that magic bullet. Dream on.

December 6, 2011 at 17:59 | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Kris, you're wonderful. hCG helps drop those stubborn lbs that people can't seem to get off no matter how hard you try. Love handles, muffin tops, flappy arms, whatever. You've done amazing amounts of research to the effect and the idiot that responded to you doesn't even know what they're saying "you've got to change your lifestyle" well DUH, does it look like they're having any luck eating right and exercising? Actually, that doesn't work for everybody. And people want to sling bad names around because they think we're lazy or they don't understand how it works. I've been defending hCG for a couple years. People will never understand.

December 8, 2011 at 22:12 | Report abuse |
  14. dbd

HCG is from pregnance women, but not from their urine! It also is effective, so I can see where the FDA would want to wisk it away. It is part of a diet, not the diet itself. I was on the VLCD without HCG working out and under a doctor care for 8 months, lost 4 lbs. I added HCG and lost 22 in 90 days. I didn't have that drop it like its hot weight loss, but it still is a loss. I did the shots for 42 days and have used the oral HCG from an online pharmacy after that. THE FDA will have to pry my HCG out of my skinny hands to get it away from me! There is more money in the USA to be made on obesity than there is on solving it.

December 6, 2011 at 16:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jenn2012

Same here. If they take it off the shelf (including WAL-MART), they will have to take ALL homeopathic meds off. And yes, idiots reading that know nothing about hcg....hhcg (what they are talking about in this article) is indeed homeopathic.
      What they will do is force the companies selling the product not to condone the VLCD, as read in Dr. Simeon's P&I. And somehow get their hands in it and muck it up for the rest of us buying it at less than $20/bottle.

December 6, 2011 at 16:57 | Report abuse |
    • Margaret Thatcher

If the experience of the majority is any indication, by the time the FDA gets there your hands will no longer be skinny.

December 6, 2011 at 17:13 | Report abuse |
  15. joe

Fnck you FDA!!!

December 6, 2011 at 16:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. yourmom

Here's an idea. How about to lose weight you try exercising and watching what you eat?! Radical I know but, worth a shot.

December 6, 2011 at 16:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Richard

The only weight loss program that works was put forward by George Carlin who wanted to write a book on weight loss. Unfortunately it was only 4 words ... eat less, move more.

December 6, 2011 at 16:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. charms

No profits on the pills perhaps?

December 6, 2011 at 16:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Happy Customer

This is BS. I can personally vouch for the effectiveness and safety of the product. I am on my second round using this product, and the results speak for themselves. The FDA and the AMA do not want this product out there because it is supposedly taking money out of their pockets. And, that's true...I lost 45 pounds and my blood sugar dropped from almost 200 down to normal levels in 45 days, and have stayed thee. I have lost an additional 20 pounds this time (halfway through). What does this mean? Fewer trips to the doctor (less money in their pockets). I am happier and healthier than I have been in over 20 years. You can't argue with success.

December 6, 2011 at 16:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Margaret Thatcher

Yeah...let's see where you are in three months. Healthy means nothing if it doesn't last, and there's certainly nothing healthy about yo-yoing.

December 6, 2011 at 17:14 | Report abuse |
    • GinaNSocal

Congrats on your good health !!! Sure, the FDA along with the AMA and Big Pharma are thinking $$$$$$. No more Statin drugs to prescribe, no more angioplasties, or bypass surgeries. There goes their source of income !!!

December 6, 2011 at 17:52 | Report abuse |
    • Amy

You only yo-yo if you specifically go back to bad habits. Keep your head in the game and you're set for life. Besides, it resets your metabolism so eating a piece of bread won't make you balloon.

December 8, 2011 at 22:16 | Report abuse |
  20. AspieMom

All these posters saying they lost weight on HcG are probably full of it. My husband took it and didn't reduce his caloric intake – guess what?- He didn't lose any weight. If he would have restricted his calories, he would have, with or without HcG. And for those railing against the FDA, just think back to the days before the FDA – any Quack could bottle Horse-urine and sell it to you telling you it's a cure-all. Yes, some people at the FDA are probably getting kick-backs from Pharma, but I say reform the system / K-Street, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

December 6, 2011 at 16:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • AK in Austin TX

Your husband didn't follow the instructions so of course it didn't work for him. The diet part is very specific -load up the first two days but while you're on the program, no oil, butter, sugar, bread, pasta, etc. but there are plenty of good proteins and vegetables he could've eaten. I experienced hunger only on days 3 & 4 of the VLCD portion but after that, felt FANTASTIC, not light headed, no heart palpitations, no gallstones, no weakness, and ate plenty enough of the approved foods to feel satisfied every day while I enjoyed steady weight loss – and have KEPT it off. Don't slam the product when you didn't use it correctly. 60 lbs gone in 2011~

December 6, 2011 at 17:20 | Report abuse |
    • KraeStumpf

Agree... Agree... Agree. I am on a low caloric diet WITHOUT the HCG or any other chemical supplement outside of standard vitamins. I eat oatmeal for breakfast, green leafy veggie salad for lunch and a small but hearty meal for dinner with healthy snacks between each meal. I also exercise 5 days a week and burn about 700 calories. (early morning exercise and brisk walk after lunch). I have lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks and feel more than fantastic. Calorie management is the key. Eat less, Move More.

December 6, 2011 at 17:39 | Report abuse |
  21. wilderock

The FDA is also attempting to shut down Dr. Burzynski's cure for cancer.
    You gotta watch this movie!!!

December 6, 2011 at 16:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Leo

That's because his "cure" is dangerous and it doesn't work! Gah, idiots! Clueless!

December 6, 2011 at 17:46 | Report abuse |
  22. Kokenki

Of course if you go on a low calorie diet you'll lose weight, it has nothing to do with magic placebo water.

December 6, 2011 at 16:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Daniel

My wife has lost nearly 100 pounds and has been on this thing (on and off) for nearly a year and a half. She hasn't put back any of that weight clearly.

December 6, 2011 at 16:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. LW

I work out on a regular basis and eat mostly whole and unprocessed food. I was healthy but unable to get my pregnancy weight off. I used hcg a year ago and lost 40 pounds. My body fat went from 36% to 26%. I have managed keep it of and it costs maybe $100 total.

Sorry FDA from me and the hundreds of people I've met that changed their lives for the better.

What's wrong With this picture when the golden arches are approved and FDA wants to prevent people from loosing the weight McD's helped on?

December 6, 2011 at 16:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jenn2012

Agree. Hypocrisy.

December 6, 2011 at 16:54 | Report abuse |
  25. wilderock

December 6, 2011 at 16:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Dr. Wilma Fingerdoo

All of you who are taking HGC can lose 6 to 8 lbs by having your brain removed. You won't gain the weight back. And nobody will notice a loss of intelligence. Fortunately, they have not figured out how to transplant brains yet.

December 6, 2011 at 16:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Hooligan

so snake oil placebos are illegal but selling AIDS tainted aspirin is ok as long as its overseas.

gotcha

December 6, 2011 at 16:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Max Ramming

Aids tainted aspirin? The HIV/AIDS virus is a very fragile virus and can't live for more than a few minutes outside of the human body. I think you are reading conspiracy theories.

December 6, 2011 at 17:02 | Report abuse |
  28. Max Ramming

Ever since my wife got pregnant, I have been drinking her pee and have lost nearly sixty pounds. She doesn't complain as loudly now when I climb on top of her for our nightly humpty dance. Yeah!

December 6, 2011 at 16:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. AK in Austin TX

Adding my name to the list of folks who finally found success with HCG after trying EVERYTHING else INCLUDING low calorie, low fat diets & exercise. You name it, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, etc., I have done it all. I even contemplated surgery since my post pregnancy weight has stubbornly taken up residency in my stomach, thighs, and hips for many years. I have had normal blood pressure and cholesterol throughout this time, been able to be relatively active, so I just figured I was meant to be "chunky". HCG has helped me RESHAPE my body because of WHERE the fat comes off, and has had much to do with my 60 pound weight loss, in a relatively short amount of time. I experienced no heart issues or other imbalances; I think the FDA's stance is a crock because they aren't benefiting financially from this product. Protest!!

December 6, 2011 at 16:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Max Ramming

It does seem funny that the HCG sites all tell you to eat a really low-calorie diet along with taking the supplement. The weight loss couldn't possibly be from eating almost nothing could it? Really? It seems like all of the weight loss wonder drugs state that you need to maintain an healthy, balanced diet and exercise program in order for the drugs to work. I bet the diet and exercise would work without the drugs just as well. What do you think? People are lazy and undisciplined. They are always looking for the easy way.

December 6, 2011 at 16:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • AK in Austin TX

Read a little more – or better yet, try the product for yourself- and you'll see the reason you only need to ingest a limited amount of calories is because your body is finally burning the fat stores as energy to the tune of 2000 per day. I've cut my calories very low in previous w/l attempts and could barely find the energy to get through the day. I ate between 500-800 calories a day with the HCG drops and except for the first couple of days, never felt weak, tired, dizzy, lightheaded, etc. I lost 8 dress sizes and lost fat from the places it never used to move – back of the arms, inner and outer thighs, belly. I don't have the gaunt, hollow look that comes from starvation dieting. I'm not a doctor, I'm not a scientist, and I don't have any stake in this, but I am someone who has used homeopathic HCG drops and can first hand talk about the success I have experienced.

December 6, 2011 at 17:35 | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Wow Max. The hCG diet is harder than ANYTHING YOU HAVE OR WILL HAVE EVER TRIED. It's ALL about the willpower to not eat things you're not supposed to. Guess what, I was eating an apple for breakfast, drinking tons of water, and eating 100 grams of chicken for lunch and water for dinner. That's what... 300 calories? Maybe? I wasn't fainting from hunger. I had energy to do my job. Where was that energy coming from, huh? How come I didn't pass out? How come I didn't chew my arm off from being so hungry? Explain that. And then pee on a ketone stick to prove your burning fat. Ignorance.

December 8, 2011 at 22:23 | Report abuse |
  31. Opeth34

A 23-year old in San Antonio died on a club dance floor. It is likely she died of diet pills and tequila shots in her system.
    Diet drugs are not safe. But yeah, you are in control of what you put in your body. Go ahead and kill yourself. A doctor once told a friend who asked for diet pills..."Do you want to be skinny as you wait for a heart transplant?"

December 6, 2011 at 17:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jan

Well, how stupid do you have to be to take diet pills and guzzle tequila? Good products in the hands of stupid people is what should be banned – not the products themselves. Big Pharma won this battle, but the war is not over.

December 6, 2011 at 18:09 | Report abuse |
  32. Gravestone

It's almost unbelievable that before hCG all of humanity weren't Hutt-like blobs of living cholesterol since apparently it's so absolutely necessary for weight loss. Get real. Mind over matter. You think it'll work, so it works. Go outside, ride a bike, eat better, stop drinking beer and soda, drink more water, get some sunlight and fresh air and watch the miracles that occur in your body and mind.

December 6, 2011 at 17:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Amy

I'll tell you the same thing I told Max: I was eating an apple for breakfast, drinking tons of water, and eating 100 grams of chicken for lunch and water for dinner. That's what... 300 calories? Maybe? I wasn't fainting from hunger. I had energy to do my job. Where was that energy coming from, huh? How come I didn't pass out? How come I didn't chew my arm off from being so hungry? Explain that. And then pee on a ketone stick to prove you're burning fat. Ignorance.

December 8, 2011 at 22:27 | Report abuse |
  33. Sunny

My spouce took injections containing HGC – there was a short term weight loss. However there were after effects including impacts to the menstrual cycle etc that lasted well over 3 months. So check with your regular doctor before you take this. I understand the need for instant gratification but this is not something you want to play with.

December 6, 2011 at 17:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Aacon

The FDA takes this off the market but keeps an unlimited unregulated unhealthy proven consumed enough products like tobacco and alcohol on the market driving healthcare ,thus gov funds out in hoards.Almost laughable what they DO allow but DO NOT allow.Personally I would like to try some marijuana before I die.I`ve read everywhere it is harmless.

December 6, 2011 at 17:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Margaret Thatcher

...what!?

December 6, 2011 at 17:18 | Report abuse |
  35. D

Those feet though!!!! UGH

December 6, 2011 at 17:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. CharlyBoBK

I'm with Mr. Ramming... I have been drinking my wife's urine ever since she got pregnant and have dropped 120 pounds since september. It seems to get more potent the closer she gets to the end of her term... It's odd... for some reason it has started tasting like garlic watermelon in the last trimester. Anyone have any ideas about that? I highly recommend it.

December 6, 2011 at 17:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jan

You knuckle-draggers are spectacularly ignorant. It's obvious that you have no idea how truly clueless you are. The HCG used in HHCG is synthetic. If you don't know what that means, look it up. This page definitely needs a boost in the IQ level. No danger of running into an intelligent conversation here.

December 6, 2011 at 18:15 | Report abuse |
    • lenkerb

you can't drink it....drip it under your tongue....drinking it will send it directly to your stomach where the acids will destroy it.

December 6, 2011 at 18:25 | Report abuse |
  37. CharlyBoBK

If word of how effective this is gets out...i can imagine there will be urine farms set up so pregnant women can make some extra cash. They can just sit around all day drinking sodas and make enough to put their newborns through college. Sound great. It's too bad it's only for women.

December 6, 2011 at 17:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. ChadStevens

That is so funny! My wife's pee taste changed in the last trimester as well. Very similar to the Garlic / Watermelon that you described...though my wife's had a bit of a licorice twang at the end. Still pretty palatable. I have lost about 47 pounds in the last 2 months. We need to bottle this stuff. We could make a mint.

December 6, 2011 at 17:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. chuckcreig

Great news! Americans should feel good about their fat bodies and not have to be made to feel like they should do something about them! Weight loss supplements are a violation of our 1st ammendment rights, and they are racist! Occupy Wall Street is a well-informed, articulate movement acting in the best interest of the people, and is not at all hypocritical!

brah...

December 6, 2011 at 17:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Max Ramming

I wonder, if people knew how effective pregnant women's pee was for weight loss, would they still pay all the money for these HCG supplements? It's much cheaper to buy your wife couple of two-liters of Faygo RedPop...and you have a couple of weeks supply of what I like to call 'homegrown'.

December 6, 2011 at 17:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Sheila Reid

This all sounds pretty gross...but do you know if it has the same efficacy for women? I am 6 months pregnant, and have put on a ton of weight in this pregnancy. Do you think I could drink my own urine and get the same benefit?? Or would I have to drink the urine of another pregnant woman? I just don't want to have to work so hard to lose all of this baby weight when this is over. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

December 6, 2011 at 17:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Connie Sellman

Hey Sheila, I was wondering the same thing. I am in my 27th week and have put on a prodigious amount of weight with this (my 7th) pregnancy. Ever since my husband found what he call his "fountain of youth", he has had me pregnant every year since 2003. He keeps looking younger and younger and I just keep gaining weight. I tried drinking my own urine for a while, but it didn't seem to work on me. I would be willing to work out some sort of urine-swap with you if you want to try it. Just write me back if you are interested.

December 6, 2011 at 17:57 | Report abuse |
    • David

Shiela, it isn't that HCG makes you lose weight. The purpose of HCG is in the event your body went into starvation mode while you were pregnant. In that event hcg would instruct your body to burn stored fat cells and ensure zero interruption to the fetus/baby. Normally this is not how the body would operate. Without hcg the mother would begin to break down both muscle and fat. Also all non essential energy burning functions would cease. You would be very sleepy and the baby would receive very little nourishment. People who use hcg are basically fooling the body into believing it is pregnant but more importantly they are putting their body into starvation mode. HCG by itself is completely ineffective at losing weight without facing a reduced caloric intake.

December 6, 2011 at 18:00 | Report abuse |
    • Connie Sellman

David, My husband has lost over 100 lbs drinking my urine. He keeps me constantly pregnant so he doesn't have an interruption of his supply. He hasn't noticeably changed his diet or exercise regimen. He has been sharing my urine with his close friends and he and they are all looking 20 years younger. I would just like to get some of the benefit that they seem to be getting from my natural hcg.

December 6, 2011 at 18:13 | Report abuse |
    • Sheila Reid

Connie, I would be very interested in working out some sort of 'swap'. You can contact me via my gmail account at Shried27@gmail.com. I look forward to our little experiment. Talk to you soon.

December 6, 2011 at 18:56 | Report abuse |
    • Obgyn

Connie & Sheila – I am an OBGYN and I have been secretly harvesting pregnant women's urine for years. I collect their urine samples when they come in for check-ups and sell it to local doctors so they can sell it as a weight loss product. I have done very well! I am always looking for new suppliers. I would be interested in paying you for your urine. I'm also in the works of starting a local store called "The Lactation Station", this would be a hang out joint for people who want fresh human mother's milk to drink. Kind of like a local bar but instead of alcohol just mother's milk. My research shows that there is a huge demand for this due to the fact that mother's milk contains healthy colostrum which strengthens the immune system and just tastes great! If you two are interested I could use 2 "bartenders" to produce the product. Our grand opening is coming up soon so let me know! Thanks.

December 7, 2011 at 14:37 | Report abuse |
  42. A Spirit in a bottle? NO WAY!

Legally NO ONE can sell Homeopathic HCG as its against the law to begin with as HCG is only obtained by PRESCRIPTION ONLY. The drug is a regulated RX injectable. HCG { Human Chorionic Gonadotropin} is NOT found in the Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia.
    If a hormone could be watered down 6X,12X,30X,60X plus times don’t you think that the medical community would use this? Hey! Why don't you guys that have loved ones on insulin try this? Water down their drug and see where that gets you? Cant be done right? the same with HCG.

Also if this could in fact be "true" that HCG could be watered down, the people using steroids would be buying up all the homeopathic so called hcg they could get their grubby lil roid arms around. But they ain't ..Humm I wonder why?<-{Sarcasm} As many proponents of Homeopathics say that there is a living"Spirt Essence" in the bottle and to activate the tincture you have to SLAP the bottom of the bottle to active them, maybe their not hitting their bottles hard enough. LMAO!!!

December 6, 2011 at 17:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. David

No science behind HCG? The science is clear. HCG is an evolutionary hormone that is to protect a baby in the womb in the event of the mother facing a starvation event. HCG works because it allows the body to target fat and convert to energy for the baby and the mother if the mother is facing a starvation event. Sorry FDA but we haven't always had McDonalds to stuff into our mouths, and starvation events were once very common for our ancestors. HCG was an evolutionary advancement to protect babies from a real danger. Therefore when a human is on HCG and on a restricted diet the body will react the same why regardless if it is male or female or pregnant or not.

The science to it's effectiveness is quite clear. What isn't clear are the long term health implications – but HCG has been used in males with low testosterone production for decades with none to little side effects. Also the amount of HCG that one takes during a diet cycle is about 1,000 times less then what a female produces naturally while pregnant.

December 6, 2011 at 17:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • A Spirit in a bottle? NO WAY!

True David, RX HCG is used in young male's whose gonads haven't dropped by a certain age and in infertility treatment for women. I've read Simeon's protocol and NO WHERE does the guy advocate homeopathy and if the guy were alive today I doubt he would. In my opinion RX HCG should NEVER be put in the same category with whats been proven only a bottle of water, as thats what Homeopathic HCG is.

December 6, 2011 at 18:17 | Report abuse |
    • Amy

David, well, we do have the long-term effects available if we could ever find the original trial people from Italy. Wonder what happened to them. You are quite informed – I'm glad I have someone on my side. Too many people argue without knowing a thing; calling people names and putting them down for no reason. It works. End of discussion.

December 8, 2011 at 22:33 | Report abuse |
  44. bao

But the FDA allows Aspartame, which has been proven to cause cancer, continue to be sold because there is big American money in that.

December 6, 2011 at 17:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. No HCG in HOMEOPATHETIC Drops

Being that there is NO HCG in homeopathic drops even if they started out with a drop in a batch of the homeopathic which many are selling online & in some stores, come on after all the dilutions the buyer is only left with a bottle of WATER. What a SCAM! If I didn't have any morals & ethics I would be making a mint off the gullible.
    SO GOOD JOB FDA for putting the spotlight of these purveyors of FRAUD!

December 6, 2011 at 18:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Amy

What people don't realize is that the real hCG is illegal to be used as a weight loss aid in this country already. The FDA is just adding the homeopathic stuff to the list. No doctor will prescribe the real stuff to you, but you can still get it, use it, and lose weight with it.

December 8, 2011 at 22:36 | Report abuse |
  46. jim

HCG is Human Chorionic Gonadotropin, which is what the placenta of a growing fetus produces. When a woman is pregnant, tons of this stuff is releaased into her blood stream. It may not work for weight loss, but I doubt its dangerous.

December 6, 2011 at 18:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Muhammad Anwar

Hey Perry's plan is to cut FDA too, may be this will be a wake call for the people who wants to abolish federal agencies and have NO regulation in this country.

December 6, 2011 at 18:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jan

Perry's an idiot – we call him Bush Light – but getting rid of the FDA, which is nothing but a subsidiary of Big Pharma, is the only good idea he's had. Probably not an original idea since he appears incapable of that, but still...

December 6, 2011 at 18:19 | Report abuse |
  48. GinaNSocal

Remember in the early1980's when the Aussie doctor tried to convince the AMA that some peptic ulcers were caused by Helicobacter bacteria, and should be treated AND cured with antibiotics. They laughed and called him a quack. Well it took a few years for our exteemed (sarcastic) AMA to realize the Aussie doctor had been correct .

December 6, 2011 at 18:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. rasko41

Homeopathic = junk; homeopathic means "containing no active ingredient"
    Fraud-homeopathic (i.e., claiming there are no active ingredients when in fact there are dangerous ones) = double junk

December 6, 2011 at 18:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. twirlin

hey, yourmom, if it were that simple wouldn't oprah be really thin? Has to do with hormones and sugars added to almost everything. And they have, folks like the FDA, had that information for awhile. Yourmom, who developed the food pyramid? Find out for yourself.

Whatever you might think, because bashing fat folks is entertainment for you, obesity is a medical problem that is complicated. Most Dr.'s, most, don't know what is going on. And if they do know they a lot of those Dr.'s participate in the fraud of it all by selling their own diet. Diet advise I've heard from licensed physicians "eat nothing but sweet potatoes," "drink orange juice in the morning." If you don't know why that is really bad advise you need to educate yourself and leave your fat neighbor alone!

Has there been anytime in history of the human race where we have so many additives in our foods? Why is there sugar in canned tomatoe, diet salad dressing? Why are there so many different kinds of sugar in all kinds of pre packaged foods? Sugars are damaging yet the FDA doesn't pull high fructos corn syrup. You all who think that something like hcg is the reason for health problems...you are looking in the wrong direction and then you bash a fat person just because you can. It is still acceptable to be fataphobic to the point that young girls die on a dance floor because their desire to be thin precludes commen sense. It wasn't hhcg that killed anyone ever.

For those of you who are actually trying to figure this quagmire out, and don't believe that you already know it all, educate youself. For all the fat bashers, I know you're afraid that you too may become fat someday, you are a barbarian and you are sad. Have no pity for you.

Yes! The FDA is going to take out of our now skinny little hands something that really works...regardless what you folks don't know about it. And it's business. That's it.

You all are trying to figure out things that you don't know about, then you talk as if you do. Wait till the FDA pounces on your right to grow veggies in your back yard.

If you're thin dispite big corporations attempt to get you onto the dieting merry go round, be happy! And go wiggle your twinkies, nibble during the holidays, scorn fat people. The FDA and big business are going to continue to lay on the presure us to lose the weight that they helped create. No matter what you think of it.

HHCG was a way out of that merry go round.

December 6, 2011 at 18:26 | Report abuse | Reply