home
RSS
November 29th, 2011

HIV out of control in most U.S. patients

Three out of four people with HIV in the United States do not have their infection under control, even though anti-HIV drugs have been available for more than 15 years, according to a study released Tuesday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“That’s a very poor rate. We have to do much better than that,” said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Keeping HIV under control is crucial not only for the 1.2 million people in the United States who carry the infection, but also for their sexual partners. Suppressing the virus decreases the chances it will be transmitted to a sexual partner by more than 95%, Fauci said.

“Treatment is one of the best ways to prevent the spread of HIV infection."

There are many reasons why only 28% of people with HIV have the virus under control. According to the CDC, 20% of people with HIV don’t even know they have it, and among those who’ve been diagnosed, only half are receiving regular care for their disease.

Since testing is the first step in receiving the proper care, the CDC is targeting specific high-risk groups. The agency has a new program called “Testing Makes Us Stronger” that encourages gay and bisexual black men to get tested for the virus.

“Black gay and bisexual men across the country are already doing many of the right things to protect themselves - but more need to make HIV testing a regular part of their lives,” Dr. Kevin Fenton, director of CDC’s National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD and Tuberculosis Prevention, said in a press release.

The website HIVtest.org helps people find testing - including free testing - where they live.

There were high hopes that women could use a gel to destroy the HIV virus, or at least reduce its chances of causing infections. But this week the National Institutes of Health announced that the gel, which contains the drug tenofovir, worked no better than a placebo, so this particular arm of  the study was shut down.

The gel is supposed to be applied to the vagina or rectum before sex, and Fauci said he suspects many of the women weren’t using it.

“The fact that we didn’t see protection was a disappointment,” he added.

Researchers are still studying if tenofovir in pill form combined with another HIV drug, emtricitabine, can safely and effectively prevent HIV transmission in women.

1. HIV+ since 1999

I don't know why the CDC says "Many can’t afford treatment for their HIV, which totals about $367,000 over a lifetime, according to the CDC." Thanks to the pharmaceutical companies that make the two drugs I need, I am able to get mine for free through their patient assistance programs. I think these pharmaceutical companies are the greatest and I am forever indebted to them. That being said, I have nothing good to say for the various agencies I have had to deal with for support. They have been useless, arrogant pigs. Same for the CDC – GET OUT OF PEOPLES LIVES – you have no more brains than a piece of gum on a hot asphalt road LOL I love that phrase

November 29, 2011 at 16:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Christopher

I also make above the amount needed to get assistance for my meds, and it definately causes money problems until my deductible is met. I spend over $1000 per month until my insurance kicks in. If I didn't have the luxury of insurance, I don't know what I'd do...probably be one of the people not under control. What needs to happen is for the drug companies to stop charging so much for the drugs so that more people can afford them. That would go a long way toward helping those that are currently not "under control."

November 29, 2011 at 16:58 | Report abuse |
    • SeattleRain

Be more specific about the CDC. Exactly how are they pigs? You love the drug companies? Something fishy here.

November 29, 2011 at 19:10 | Report abuse |
    • Mike

You don't get your drugs for free. It translates into higher prices for my insurance company when someone in my family needs medical care. There is no such thing as getting nothing for free.

November 29, 2011 at 20:11 | Report abuse |
    • ixnay

@ Mathilde. you are pretty insensitive and ignorant too. Too bad there isn't some kind of intelligence pill because you should definitely be first in line for the clinical trial not to mention, please, wear the glove of love so that your genes are not passed along to others.

November 29, 2011 at 20:22 | Report abuse |
    • Lee

Drug companies many have a bad rap but I would still trust them more than the CDC or any other government agency without question. When it comes to both legal and illegal drugs the government has done a terrible job. All the time people suffer and die while bureaucrats cause delays. And we have seen that the FDA is basically a political arm. During the bush admin ey would not approve birth control based on no science but religious political pressure. We don't need the Gestapo between a pharm company and someone who needs the treatment!

November 29, 2011 at 20:25 | Report abuse |
    • cronewinter

My daughter has a medical condition, not HIV, that the meds cost 1,600 a month. She has no insurance. The phram. company did help her with 1/2 the payment for several months then she was cancelled because she had reached the limit of what they would cover. It's not very helpful to price meds so high that very few can afford them and only help for a few months with a life long condition? Somehow I just don't believe your fairy tale of the generous drug company with the nonstop free drugs.

November 29, 2011 at 20:39 | Report abuse |
    • I Say

It's pathetic that America is full of haves and have nots when it comes to health insurance/health care.

November 29, 2011 at 20:40 | Report abuse |
    • Phillfoss

Wow Mathilde it's really to bad you're parents didn't use some form of protection what a idiot. Skin cancer is also preventable, so for Gods sakes please stay inside.

November 29, 2011 at 20:51 | Report abuse |
    • whodacares

Dear Mathilde, not every person who is positive made the choice to become positive. What do you say to all of the children who are born with HIV? And what about those who became positive before we even knew what HIV was? Until 1981 the entire world was naive and unfortunately many, like you, still are.

November 29, 2011 at 21:03 | Report abuse |
    • I Say

It's got to be difficult enough having this disease, much less having to worry about the cost of it all. My best wishes to those who suffer with it.

November 29, 2011 at 21:04 | Report abuse |
    • dupree

@matthilde – "completely preventable"? you're way wrong.

November 29, 2011 at 21:09 | Report abuse |
    • fj

Sit down and keep your mouths shut...... Problem solved!!!!

November 29, 2011 at 21:12 | Report abuse |
    • humberto

Even after all the charity money and government deductions given to find a cure they still criminally gouge for sales people and administrators saleries with total disregard for the health of the people in the nation by doubledipping with lawyers that claim otherwise.

November 29, 2011 at 21:16 | Report abuse |
    • Martin S

My life was once out of control on these drugs and some of my friends were just not getting the right advice. I found my new doctor group and they were working hard to make things right. The best they did was sent me to a specialty pharmacy called Confidential Pharmacy Services in California. They got all my meds and manufacture rebates, co pay assistace etc. My white blood cells are in range and I am living finally. Oh i forgot, they have nurses and pharmacist on call 24 hours a day so that helps me out for my side effect management issues and stuff. Sorry, but it takes a lot to be wrong and non compliant and a lot has to do with the proviiders. thank you.

November 29, 2011 at 21:29 | Report abuse |
    • Jon

FYI – the University of Minnesota and a professor made a combined several hundred million dollars off of anti-retroviral therapy patents. Now, imagine how much the pharmaceutical industry has profited. To partially ease your mind, the money that went to the U of MN went back to research (about 10%). Admin/insfrastructure/waste/etc probably consumed the remaining monies.

November 29, 2011 at 22:13 | Report abuse |
    • Louis

If you are on the same pharmaceutical discounts that I am, I suggest you read the fine print. Both of my prescriptions are eligible for co-pay discounts, but only for two years. I am making personal funds available for when my drug company benefits run out!!

November 29, 2011 at 22:14 | Report abuse |
  2. CDC is correct

I am happy you are able to receive treatment at a low cost, your one of the few. My treatment is $950 a month. Since I still am able to hold a fulltime job and make $2,000.00 a year over the poverty guidelines, I don't qualify for the patient or government assistance programs, so I am unable to afford treatment.

November 29, 2011 at 16:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • DeeCee1000

If you look hard enough, and are persistent enough, you'll be able to find help in paying for your meds.

November 29, 2011 at 18:20 | Report abuse |
    • David

That is unfortunate – most state ADAP programs allow up to a certain percentage of poverty and some have insurance programs geared to assist persons with insurance. Additionally, the RW Treatment Modernization Act and HOPWA funds are distributed nationally to assist in the procurement of medications. It sounds like you might need to get connect to a service agency, or, if you are connected, find an alternate and if there is not one – hold someone accountable.

November 29, 2011 at 19:24 | Report abuse |
    • KeepTrying

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not sure which state you live in but some states (Oregon for example) are far more helpful to HIV positive patients than others (Texas). I think the fact that ARVs reduce the risk of transmission by 95% should be enough reason for the gov't to provide the medicine free of charge ... it's just not right that someone who lives with such an incredible burden needs to pay half their salary on top of it. Yes, I understand that someone needs to pay for the medicine but if free ARVs reduce the HIV infection rate by even a little, it will pay for itself in savings.

November 29, 2011 at 19:58 | Report abuse |
    • GreenSmurf45

HIV is a man made virus! Why doesnt the CDC tell where to get the cure?

November 29, 2011 at 20:26 | Report abuse |
    • Bobinconn

Easy – lose 2k of income.

November 29, 2011 at 20:55 | Report abuse |
    • Tr1Xen

@GreenSmurf45 Yeah, and the government faked the moon landing and planned 9/11, too, right? The earth isn't really round–that's all just a myth, huh? People like you crack me up.

November 29, 2011 at 20:55 | Report abuse |
    • I Say

I wonder if you're tried "teaching" hospitals. Most of them have "community" type programs where you are only charged what you are able to pay. I don't think they turn anybody away, at least not in my state.

November 29, 2011 at 21:05 | Report abuse |
    • Abresh

Hit the nail on the head, CDC. For many people that make just OVER the amounts that are 'poverty level' (which are too low today in America) getting treatment is close to impossible.

November 29, 2011 at 21:52 | Report abuse |
    • Dell Stator

What others have said, loose 2k income, you're boss will be thrilled when you ask for your meager pay to be reduced.
      Go with it.
      Such is logic in America in the 21st century.
      I'm seriously considering giving up workinig and going on the dole, I lost my job over the financial debacle that had nothing to do with me, it's obvious the gov't is going to do nothing, we are going to have a permanent unemployment rate that ensures businesses can pay 1980 wages, no benefits, no time off, not even federal holidays (my current PT job – after 14 months looking, 200 applications plus less than a dozen interviews, from clerk to professional – yeah, wasted time and money on college and licensing too!).
      So don't feel bad about getting your salary cut to qualify for poverty, it's the future, we're just on the cutting edge deliberately aiming for poverty in order to survive!

November 29, 2011 at 21:57 | Report abuse |
    • Louis

Write to Elton. He basically started the Trevor Project, and I know one friend who has benefitted from medical and Dental!

November 29, 2011 at 22:18 | Report abuse |
    • Service provider

Most states do provide some type of ADAP assistance to get you down to Medicaid level. From there, health care becomes much more affordable. For those people who say that putting more people on Medicaid costs more to the tax payer, think of how many more people may be proactive in getting front line care at the doctor's office instead of the emergency room. Reducing those costs is where the savings are.

November 29, 2011 at 23:00 | Report abuse |
  3. T.rex

"Under control?" Sounds rather subjective, especially considering they keep lowering the tolerance level for what is considered 'undetectable'? Someone on effective medications 1 year ago, with undetectable viral load, wouldn't necessarily be considered undetectable by today's standard. Does this mean they are out of control? Sounds like CDC spin to drum up fear.

November 29, 2011 at 16:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

Not necessarily – the standard for 'under control' or 'undetectable' is generally a viral load of 400 or less. You are correct, in that using ultra-sensitive assays viral loads are detectable to approximately 12 or 13. However, given this small amount of virus in the blood, there is not a log difference between 50 and 400. Clinically, a viral load of 400 or less is optimal.

November 29, 2011 at 19:18 | Report abuse |
  4. poztoo

I'm glad to have access to HIV meds, but they would be completely unaffordable to me and most of the people I know without either great insurance or assistance programs. If you don't have insurance or do not qualify for an assistance program like ADAP, you would have to pay from $1500 to $2000 a month or more on these meds. The truth is that pharmaceutical companies have made these drugs affordable in every other country but the U.S., where consumers are gouged unconscionably for profits. And with the current political climate of gutting all kinds of federal and state assistance programs, it's only a matter of time before more and more HIV+ folks are left with few alternatives for getting their meds. Unfortunately, most of the people who get their HIV meds from a pharmaceutical company assistance program have no idea what these drugs would actually cost if they walked into a pharmacy with prescriptions and tried to buy them without insurance. They're often ignorant or the realities of real world costs and take their assistance for granted.

November 29, 2011 at 18:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mjg

look into Colloidal Silver – big pharmaceutical companies lobby to have it outlawed!

November 29, 2011 at 19:58 | Report abuse |
    • Chartreuxe

...because people will take collodial silver internally and poison themselves.

November 30, 2011 at 08:38 | Report abuse |
  5. Cogito Ergo Sum

It is troubling and insane that pharmaceutical companies control this environment. These drugs should be made available at cost as a matter of public safety. It's like profiting on polio vaccine. People should have these drugs to lessen the spread of this disease, first of all. And those who profit from its withholding should have the tables turned on them.

November 29, 2011 at 19:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Whatever

Pharm companies are businesses like any other. Sure, they make profit on the medicines they develop, manufacture, and sell. That is not a bad thing. Without profits from current drugs, big pharm would not be developing new ones. You can't blame these people for providing a service and doing their jobs. Talk to the government about the miles of red tape the pharm companies have to go through unnecessarily if you want prescription costs to go down.

November 29, 2011 at 20:21 | Report abuse |
    • mike

While I agree with you in say that everyone deserves access to medicine, you probably don't know anything about research. I'm not saying this as an insult, but research to develop any form of drugs is very expensive and time consuming. The researchers needed to design and find these drugs can't simply be paid minimum wage, they need highly educated and skilled workers. Machinery and materials in research are also extremely expensive. There is no way the government would pay for this with tax money its very expensive.

November 29, 2011 at 21:27 | Report abuse |
  6. Jason

Because people you know clearly don't have HIV right?

November 29, 2011 at 19:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Suhurley

Ah, the Hindsight-20/20 approach. There's nary a problem it wouldn't solve alas, as a remedy it's useless.

November 29, 2011 at 19:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • T.rex

well said.

December 1, 2011 at 13:12 | Report abuse |
  8. Matt

Seems pretty small-brained to generalize that anyone who contracts HIV has been intimate with someone they don't know. I guess you need some way to differentiate yourself morally.

November 29, 2011 at 19:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Anon E. Mouse

My meds would be $2K a month, but I am Full time employed with good, although, increasingly not great, corporate medical insurance. With the pharmaceutical companies paying the co-pays I'm out of pocket nothing and I have no need of government assistance. I'm also trying to enroll in a stem cell study to eradicate one of the attachment sites on my CD4s. I've also been stuck in a dead-end job for 13 years to achieve this health maintenance but am in very good health overall and not slowed down by this disease in many other ways. My goal is to get off the meds and that is increasingly a likely possibility. Be aggressive about taking care of your health! Knowledge is, it really is, power!

November 29, 2011 at 19:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

Since the introduction of HIPAA in 1996, you should be able to port your insurance for up to 18 months with no need to remain tied to a dead end job purely for the health insurance. Without a break in coverage, you could request a certificate of coverage to go to a new insurance company and they would waive any pre-existing conditions. You are right, knowledge is power. Good for you!

November 29, 2011 at 19:29 | Report abuse |
  10. Elisabeth

Healthcare should not be a for profit industry, period.

November 29, 2011 at 19:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

True fact.

November 29, 2011 at 19:26 | Report abuse |
    • anon

If it ever reaches that point, then the quality of healthcare will plummet. Even those who aren't "greedy" want more in life then just to pay their bills.

November 29, 2011 at 19:35 | Report abuse |
    • Elisabeth

@ anon, being not for profit doesn't have to mean that Docs can't charge rates that are fair compensation for their studies and workload. That goes for all directly invloved in patient care. We should all evaluate a system that rewards insurance companies at the expense of doctors.

November 29, 2011 at 19:50 | Report abuse |
    • okcalgal

AMEN!

November 29, 2011 at 20:02 | Report abuse |
    • Whatever

So how should the funding for the development of new drugs be found?

November 29, 2011 at 20:22 | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Asking other people, who by the way work in one of the most important spheres of society, to work for no money is absolutely ridiculous and intellectually irresponsible. You're telling me that it is perfectly ok for everyone to work for a profit to support their family and pay their bills, yet when it comes to healthcare workers they should work without those ideals in mind. Are people in this country seriously that blind? Not only is that immoral, violating the healthcare workers rights to get paid for their services to society, but it is also insanely naive to think that could ever work. Where would the incentive to create new drugs come from? Nowhere, and that is exactly where our healthcare would be if this came true today. Would it be fair to tell a prosecutor (lawyer) to spend years in school, thousands of dollars in debt from student loans, the stress of intense college and grad school courses and finally when he lands a good job, that he should not get paid for his work simply because he performs a service that thousands of people rely on him to do in order to keep the public safe? Unbelievable

November 29, 2011 at 20:37 | Report abuse |
    • J

@Matt – just to clarify, Not-for-profit doesn't mean the workers are volunteers.. it just makes the services are provided at cost and nobody makes a profit from it.. so healthcare workers would still get a decent salary etc and the users of the service pay what ever the cost is.. similar to how the government runs... here is a definition from wikipedia "Nonprofit organization (abbreviated as NPO) is neither a legal nor technical definition but generally refers to an organization that uses surplus revenues to achieve its goals, rather than distributing them as profit or dividends"

November 29, 2011 at 20:55 | Report abuse |
    • durr

durr profits don't go to researching new drugs, they are PROFITS, they go to share holders. Developing new drugs would be part of the price. Profiting STOPS development of new drugs because that HURTS PROFITS, it is more profitable to reuse the same drugs especially if they are inefficient. A non-profit organization is much more likely to develop new drugs. Are you new or just stupid?

November 29, 2011 at 21:05 | Report abuse |
    • what

Matt you have no idea how non-profit organizations work. They pay their employees exactly the same as any other company, whether that employee is a janitor or nuclear physicist. Non profits cover their operational costs which includes highly paid employees. A scientist at a nonprofit is no worse off than at Pfizer, its the executives that take the pay cut.

November 29, 2011 at 21:26 | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Sorry Anon while I know nothing about HIV I do know about the "health" industry. Greedy employees get "bonuses” for denying claims make a mint. It is about profit over compassion or care, if you have to die or remain in pain for your lifetime so be it, as long as excessive stock premiums are paid on time. Blue Cross of Indiana feeds off its subsidiary in Calif. by stealing $1M in profits for bonuses in Indiana for executives just last year, after all how the CEO could afford two families at the same time or was that the year before?

November 29, 2011 at 21:26 | Report abuse |
    • Maya

Employees at non-profits (academics excluded) most certainly don't get paid the same as their counterparts in the for-profit sector. They almost invariably get paid significantly less for doing the same job. Generally speaking, it is difficult for a non-profit to justify raising their prices/rates to give employees better pay.

November 29, 2011 at 22:34 | Report abuse |
    • tess

If healthcare is a right, what does that make the healthcare providers?

November 29, 2011 at 22:36 | Report abuse |
  11. Diedra

I have found, working in Emergency Rooms, that patients must meet with the doctor each and every month in order to get their medications. Patients come to the ER for refills because they miss their appointments and run out of medications. Patients go without medications for months because their infectious disease docs refuse to refill the medications if the patient does not make it to clinic every month. It is not the cost of the medications, most get them for free or little to nothing, it is the inconvenience of going to the clinic every month. As a medical care professional, I do not see the importance of seeing the doctor every month. Your CD4 count does not change that quickly so monthly appointments, which get missed resulting in 'drug holidays', are creating drug resistance and causing the spread of disease. If the medical providers would make it easier for patients to get their drugs, maybe we would have a better compliance within the patient population.

November 29, 2011 at 19:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

This must be a practice specific to your area, as it is not within the US treatment guidelines for adults and adolescents with HIV infection, EXCEPT, when a person has an uncontrolled viral load. Then appointments are monthly – however, refills are generally not contingent on that – unless the individual provider makes it that way. The viral load can change dramatically within a month – and the CD4 count can as well (generally, increases are faster than decreases). A view of persons with HIV from an emergency rooms or department will more than likely be skewed toward persons with increased mental health, substance abuse and other similar issues – and away from those who are more than likely able to be more adherent to their ARVs. However, you are correct – medical providers tend to make accessing treatment difficult for the un/underinsured population in the US. This is due in part to our culture believing that health coverage is a benefit, not a right or a necessity. It would also be in the best interest of the patient for the ER/ED to NOT prescribe or dispense ARTs. What the patient says, might not always be accurate. But you make an excellent point. :)

November 29, 2011 at 19:35 | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Sounds like the VA to me, are you telling me they are that screwed up with civilian medical care? Thought only the VA was that screwed up, well now I don't feel so bad about being a veteran; I thought I was just a sucker all the way around, nice to know I have so much company...Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy...Or maybe my head is just spinning thinking about those who take advantage of so many to have the toys and great respect only the wealthy are accorded...

November 29, 2011 at 21:31 | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

CNN is kinda screwed up – they lost my content to Anon and replaced it with my content to you. Anyway see my post to you just above your name.

November 29, 2011 at 21:36 | Report abuse |
  12. airmike

@Jim-Here's something you can contribute to humanity; don't breed little tea baggers. Oh, Merry Christmas!

November 29, 2011 at 19:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. max

Jim,

You are truly a dumb-axx

November 29, 2011 at 19:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. dzerres

Tell that to Ryan White you arrogant S&B.

November 29, 2011 at 19:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. anon

I heard a rumor that the drugs used to treat HIV or AIDS, lose their effectiveness after so long a time. Is this true?

November 29, 2011 at 19:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

They can, due to viral mutations. Mutations happen most quickly in cases where people are not adherent to the medication (ARVs require ~95% adherence), however, as the virus 'wants to live' – it will attempt to mutate to a form where it can live in the blood stream with the medications present.

November 29, 2011 at 19:38 | Report abuse |
    • airmike

Yes they can lose their effectiveness if the meds are not properly stored, have expired shelf lives. As far a long term usage, there are many factors that can render your meds useless overtime. Some of those factors are: missing doses, taking over the counter meds/supplements that interfere with your HIV meds, reinfection of another strand of HIV that your meds are not effective against. Other then those immediate factors, your meds will last a very long time. When they no longer work, then there are many more HIV med combinations that will replace your old meds. I have not missed a dose in the past 5 years on my original meds. and my viral load is undetectable along with my CD4s at 600+, Hope this helps and God bless you :-)

November 29, 2011 at 19:45 | Report abuse |
    • T.rex

David, there is no intelligence to a virus. It does not 'want' to live. It just exists, which in the process happens to wreak havoc on the human immune system. Besides, if it truly wanted to live, it would not duplicate in a manner which has the effect of killing off the host.

November 29, 2011 at 20:37 | Report abuse |
  16. Richard

"Since the introduction of HIPAA in 1996, you should be able to port your insurance for up to 18 months with no need to remain tied to a dead end job purely for the health insurance. Without a break in coverage, you could request a certificate of coverage to go to a new insurance company and they would waive any pre-existing conditions."

What is a certificate of coverage? I've never anything like this before. Does this mean another insurer would take you with no preexisting condition limitation? Wouldn't they charge through the roof, at any rate? I live in California, have insurance through L.A. County, but cannot even get Aflac because of my HIV status. As I understand it, with HIV, the only way to have insurance is through your work.

November 29, 2011 at 19:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) was designed for this reason, it also has the parts most people are aware of, which include privacy and security surrounding protected health information (PHI). This covers health insurance, not life insurance and yes, it does mean if you had GROUP health insurance coverage for 12 consecutive months without a break of more than 60 days, a new GROUP health insurance company has to take you and waive pre-existing conditions. This only exemption is health conditions diagnosed less than 6 months ago. Here is a pretty good site for you: http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html I have been preaching the benefits of HIPAA to my patients since 1999.

November 29, 2011 at 20:07 | Report abuse |
  17. us1776

Uh, Hello !!

Do you think that Big Pharma extortion could be part of the problem?

November 29, 2011 at 19:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Big Pharma Money Lover

Haha! Love your comment.

THE BIG PROBLEM IS THAT IT IS MUCH MORE PROFITABLE FOR PHARMAS TO EXTORT 50% OF PATIENTS FOR ALL OF THEIR INCOME, RATHER THAN SERVE 100% OF THEM IN A GOVERNMENT SYSTEM THAT MANDATES LOWER PRICES.

F*** ALL THE GREEDY CORPORATIONS WHO ARE RUNNING AMERICA'S GOVERNMENT.

November 29, 2011 at 22:27 | Report abuse |
  18. Chris

Thanks, Big Pharm.

November 29, 2011 at 20:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. lineman

People who are having a difficult time paying for meds and treatment will be pleasantly surprised when Obamacare is fully implemented, or this plan is scrapped in favor of a single payor program.

November 29, 2011 at 20:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • us1776

Oh single-payer, that would just make too much sense. We could never do that.

November 29, 2011 at 20:17 | Report abuse |
  20. us1776

cz452, no, you're just the only ignorant one who would make such a comment.

Many people unexpectedly are testing positive for HIV. Could be any adult in your family.

November 29, 2011 at 20:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. John Smithy

Healthcare should be free for everyone. People should not have to go in debt because they can't afford drugs. And that goes for cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure and everything else known to man.

November 29, 2011 at 20:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • us1776

Agreed. It should be a right of citizenship. Have nothing to do with employment. And paid for by a combination of payroll deductions and tax.

November 29, 2011 at 20:24 | Report abuse |
    • Keith

Nothing is "free," John. Has the thought ever slipped into your mind that someone will have to foot the bill for all the healthcare, copious amounts of healthcare for HIV patients it turns out, in your little Utopian idea of the world?

November 29, 2011 at 23:09 | Report abuse |
  22. Dawn

I still satnd by personal accountability. My uncle, who is gay, lived in the fast lane and contracted the virus. Now he get's free HIV meds, an assisted living apartment, SSI, and food stamps. I feel bad for people living with this disease to a certain extent. I think children born with HIV should be the only canadites for free health care, not people who know right from wrong and didn't take responsibility for thier health!!!

November 29, 2011 at 20:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • us1776

I see. Well I hope every single partner you have in life will always tell you the 100% truth about their HIV status.

November 29, 2011 at 20:40 | Report abuse |
    • T.rex

Accidents happen. You think someone who gets in a car accident doesn't already know that car accidents are not favorable? Do you blame them for getting into an accident?

November 29, 2011 at 20:44 | Report abuse |
    • Dawn

@us1776 taking personal accountability is practicing safe s e x, no s e x, and before getting intimate with someone you care about, that does not mean someone you meet at the club/bar and bang them on the first night, going together to a doctor and getting tested. Tha's how serious this situation is, if more people follow those steps i bet it would be less people infected wiht HIV/AIDS!!!!!

November 29, 2011 at 21:15 | Report abuse |
    • Keith

Thanks for injecting a little sanity into this discussion, Dawn. The stupidity was getting stifling.

November 29, 2011 at 23:11 | Report abuse |
  23. BigdaddyUSA

They have a cure for HIV, but if they put in on the market they would loose billions. Great greedy country we live in.

November 29, 2011 at 20:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mike

They don't have a cure for any viruses, but nice try...

November 29, 2011 at 22:08 | Report abuse |
    • Service provider

If you think that, then you are a moron

November 30, 2011 at 06:38 | Report abuse |
  24. MY EMPHATHY GOES OUT TO YOU ALL

CANT IMAGINE WHAT THESE ABSENT MINDED DR AND SO CALLED DRUG COMPANIES DIDNT TRY TO REALIZE THE MORAL RESPONSIBILITY THEY IGNORED AND THE INHUMANE WAY A ILL PERSON WAS LEFT TO PERISH!

November 29, 2011 at 20:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. DPLJLB

Spoken like a true judgmental idiot. LOVE people that point their finger at others. I'm CONFIDENT your life is messier than a horder's home. :)

November 29, 2011 at 20:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Nicole

HIV/AIDS isn't only caused by 'Intimate' relationships. There is so many ways you can get it, including blood. Don't assume that someone caught it by not wearing a condom. It's kinda sad to hear people can't get the medication they need.

November 29, 2011 at 20:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. HorseHooves

The rants have been about HIV meds. But the truth is everyone pays for everyone else's treatment for whatever condition/diagnosis if they don't have health insurance. Your actual hospital/doctor bill is pumped up to cover part of the loss of "free" services. Your taxes are increased so that hospitals receiving Federal money (Defined as: ALL hospitals in the US)must offer charity services. All the complaints are actually well thought out arguments for why we need compulsory Universal Health Insurance.

November 29, 2011 at 20:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Nicole

That's just plain EVIL to say! You wouldn't say that about someone who had cancer, or another deadly disease!

November 29, 2011 at 20:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. kyle

The sad fact that so many people with aids are simply do not have the capacity to be compliant with their medications. It is irresponsible of doctors to give the good drugs to any patient that is not compliant because the mutation to resistant strains with HIV is VERY fast and all that the doctors would be doing is creating more drug resistant strains.

November 29, 2011 at 20:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. michael smith

Yeah, well, all of this is real nice, but the facts in America are this:

1. Drugs alone don't fix the infection
    2. On-going access to diagnostic blood tests, T-cell counts, organ impact, lipid counts, etc must be preformed and paid for
    3. On-going access to competent doctors that understand test results must be available
    4. America does not provide access to cheap drugs, tests or medical access – thus, many individuals can't afford what is necessary (despite good drugs) to control HIV
    5. Until we, as a nation, can come to understand the value of a National Health Plan, no amount of "piece meal" approach will result in effective treatment nor control of HIV.

So, once again, America (and CNN) mis-represent the true story.

November 29, 2011 at 20:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • KeninTexas

Don't forget to mention that people need to take personal responsibility to avoid risky behavior that can increase the chances of catching the disease. That would be a big help in slowing the spread of this monstrous disease.

November 29, 2011 at 21:06 | Report abuse |
  31. humberto

If you were to make your own medication, what would it cost.

November 29, 2011 at 20:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Shandril

Three out of four HIV carriers do not take medications to control the infection? Gee, I wonder how that could be? It must be that they are just lazy, unwilling to work hard enough to pay for those exotic, high-priced drugs, huh? Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that private insurance carriers often will not cover pre-existing conditions and charge exorbitant premiums, while our government (and its subjects... er, citizens) deny 47 million people access to genuine health care? Nah, it could not be THAT now, could it? This would be unheard of in Europe, but we all know that no health care at all is better than wisely rationed heath care, especially when you are dying from a treatable disease! God Bless America! Hah!

November 29, 2011 at 20:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • EPL

While I agree with you to some extent, my experience as a psychologist in an HIV clinic has shown time and time again that even when given medications and good medical care, some people choose not to be compliant with their medicines. Many of our patients receive free medications delivered to their doors, yet they do not take them. Despite our best interventions and care, we can't be there to make sure they swallow their pills. While I am confident that this does not describe all cases of people who do not have their viruses under control, I do agree with the article that it is a significant problem.

November 29, 2011 at 21:13 | Report abuse |
  33. T.rex

We all die, cz452. Guess what? I'm poz, and i'd bet good money that i'm healthier than you. Better looking, better in shape, ... just better all around. I'll let you die, though.

November 29, 2011 at 20:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. humberto

The fact that medication is withheld from people with the life threatning disease of HIV because of intelectuall property greed is manslaughter, isn't it .

November 29, 2011 at 20:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. us1776

Straights are gross.

November 29, 2011 at 20:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. KeninTexas

There is certainly nothing funny about this slow, lingering death. And to find it funny, says more about you than anyone who has that disease.

November 29, 2011 at 20:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. humberto

The Drug makers already took that loss, last year, it seems the corrupt politicians are only too happy to goug and enslave.

November 29, 2011 at 20:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. humberto

Aids doesn't differentiate.

November 29, 2011 at 20:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Phillfoss

Wow Jim, it's too bad your parents didn't take that advice because you're a complete idiot. I wonder what the thousands of infected wives would say to that.

November 29, 2011 at 20:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Phillfoss

CZ452 it's really not your fault, brother and sister should never have children.

November 29, 2011 at 21:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. samir

HIV is a curse falling on gays.

November 29, 2011 at 21:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeffrey Tull

you should get cancer in both your eyes.

November 29, 2011 at 21:17 | Report abuse |
    • Service provider

Samir, you are ignorant

November 30, 2011 at 06:43 | Report abuse |
    • quiturcomplainingitisstressinmeout

U mean all of those people in Africa that have it r gay? Do they have gay bars there or meet online? What about the babies that have it in this country? R they messing around with other babies in daycare to catch this? Wow! I know of a woman who has it that got it from her husband. How does that work? Hopefully u were trying to be funny...next time try harder...or at least don't spread hatred.

November 30, 2011 at 16:20 | Report abuse |
  42. EPL

As a psychologist for a pediatric HIV clinic, I just wanted to add that there is a very large population of children who are born with HIV. Not their fault, not due to their poor decisions. I hope one day we can change our ideas about how HIV is contracted and destigmatize the disease.

November 29, 2011 at 21:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. John Gay

You sound hot!

November 29, 2011 at 21:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Roman

Gays are gross. Don't play with the poo hole.

November 29, 2011 at 21:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. jt5542992

I do share empathy with those affected, and I realize that many were infected at no fault of there own. But, I strongly disagree with national healthcare. It is not fair do one to carry such a disease, but its also not fair for me to have to split the bill for there treatment. If I had the disease and thought for one second that my survival came at a cost of another, then I wouldn't be so quick to take advantage of the the "free" services. My wife is a doctor and I would also agree with the comment above. Who is anyone to tell a doctor what they should charge for there services. They trained way too long to inherit a country of "bosses" that dictate there pay. And, there is the key issue of doctors quoting, or running private practices. Once university based healthcare his. So do the freebies. You can't make people work if they so.t want too. So, again, I amtruly sorry for those that are affected. But my wallet is closed. Not even Obama can force it open. If that makes me incenaitive or a jerk then I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be.

November 29, 2011 at 21:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • tess

You might could help if you would write that book. As an HIV specialist, I appreciate whtat you have to say..

November 29, 2011 at 22:57 | Report abuse |
    • quiturcomplainingitisstressinmeout

So they trained too long so they could get rich? I thought it was to help people and save lives. Hmmm, maybe we could grandfather them in and move on to a system that allows the majority of people to receive quality healthcare. If they are just there for the money then lets just pay them off. My doctor has to check with the insurance to see what meds or tests my insurance will provide so I guess she likes to be told what to do by corporations better?

November 30, 2011 at 16:25 | Report abuse |
  46. Positive Since 2001

I found out about 3 months before Magic found out. I couldn’t tell anyone let alone hold a news conference. I tried the meds and decided they were not for me….yet. A wife and 3 small children, a career. I quit kissing and hugging my children out of fear. It took me years before I somewhat got my head together to even try and deal with how to really take care of myself.
    When I hear excuses about not getting meds, 1st stop getting high on drugs and alcohol, get clean and sober if you can. 2nd lose all income and push and you will find what you need. There are some good people out there committed to helping others but you really need to be ready for that help. I could write a book.

November 29, 2011 at 21:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dzulhijjah

> Would the globally deiesprwad HIV increase the frequency of the resistance alleleGoing by what's happening in Africa, then yes, the resistance allele frequency would increase.But I'd like to think that people in other parts of the world wouldn't come up with really dumb ideas, as the Africans did, like the idea that having sex with a virgin would cure AIDS. Or the idea that HIV did not cause AIDS.

April 7, 2012 at 15:56 | Report abuse |
    • Yasmin

It's a pleasure to find someone who can identify the issues so celarly

April 14, 2012 at 13:32 | Report abuse |
  47. pop

Watch this movie. Have a open mind. There is a solution for every problem

November 29, 2011 at 21:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. what

November 29, 2011 at 21:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Service provider

what are you smoking? I work for a non profit, I can tell you that it definitely not accurate

November 30, 2011 at 06:47 | Report abuse |
  49. Ronni

It is truly sad that some of the people posting belive HIV is purly a gotten because of irresponsible behavior or because there gay... Fact is HIV can be transmitted easily... Ex you come upon an accident being a good sameritan you try to help you can contract it from a cut you might have and not realise and if there is blood from the injured who has HIV you can contract it. Fact these drugs should be provided free. Its the only way HIV will ever be contained and the spread of this plauge contained. When people got TB they were treated free as to stop the spread, why is HIV so diffrent?

November 29, 2011 at 21:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Keith

Ronni, HIV is almost ALWAYS spread by willful risky behavior. Your little scenario about the traffic accident was pathetic, in that it is so exponentially improbably.

Stop with the denial and admit the truth.

November 29, 2011 at 23:18 | Report abuse |
    • us1776

Keith, every EMT since HIV was discovered now wears protective gear to avoid contracting HIV (as well as other diseases). Ronni's point about stemming the plague through free meds is valid. We did this before in the U.S. Why is HIV any different? I'll tell you why. B/c of the ttigma of how it first affected the gay community before it affected the straight community. That's why.

November 30, 2011 at 10:42 | Report abuse |