home
RSS
Tri Challenge: Triathlon helped me change my life
November 18th, 2011

Tri Challenge: Triathlon helped me change my life

Kendrick Henley was one of six CNN viewers chosen to be a part of the 2011 Fit Nation Triathlon Challenge. He trained with Dr. Sanjay Gupta and raced the New York City Triathlon on August 7. CNN is looking for viewers like Henley to join our 2012 Challenge. Click "Share Your Story" to apply.

It has been almost a year since I applied to be a part of CNN Six Pack. When I applied, I had been trying to get in shape for the past several years, but could not seem to follow through. So, I thought if I did the CNN challenge, it would motivate me to get fit or at the very least, hold me accountable. So I decided to submit a video. As I thought about what to say, I decided that I would just be honest and plainly spoke into my webcam and sent my video.

I remember getting the call on Christmas Eve from Dr. Sanjay Gupta indicating that I was chosen to be a member of the Six Pack. I was so excited, but said to myself, “I have to do this.” I must say that this was an incredibly hard challenge for me, but it was so rewarding.

I still remember when I first arrived at Well-Fit Triathlon Training Center for my first workout where I was constantly stopping and could not continuously exercise for more than 2 minutes. Then came the small breakthroughs: my old belt being too big, biking 20 miles, running a mile without stopping and finally crossing the finish line in New York. I cannot believe that I did it. I realized that this journey was going to be more than 6 months and that it would take additional time to reach my goals, but I am so glad that I took this first step. It has helped me begin to change my life.

1. hromyit480

Fitness Workout Dvds

November 20, 2011 at 10:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. szahn34

Keep it up Kendrick!! Whenever I give talks about our journey everyone wants to know how you are doing. Obviously you are doing great. Keep up the good work. You are such an inspiration to all of us.

November 21, 2011 at 15:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. The_Mick

If you are approaching 200 lbs, triathlon training can be extremely dangerous for your long-term leg health. A wise man once said, "If you're running more than three miles per day, you're doing it for reasons other than health. I ran and won medals in marathons and coached high school cross country into my 50's while running with my teenaged athletes. Today at 61 I bicycle because my scarred legs won't take frequent long-distance walking or running without developing tendonitis. And if you're not in great shape now, Dr Gupta is really inviting you to develop such problems by taking part in triathlons.

November 21, 2011 at 18:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CaitlinCNN

Hi The_Mick – thanks for reading our blog. I'm not sure about the specifics of your injuries but triathlon training is not dangerous to your long-term health, legs or otherwise, if you train properly with the correct form. We've worked with doctors, athletic trainers, and athletes of all ages and abilities. If an individual listens to his or her body and works with a trainer to learn the proper form, the cross-training aspect of triathlon can help you avoid overuse injuries. Plus swimming and biking are low-impact activities and are easier on the knees and legs. The key is to train properly, to listen to your body, and not to push yourself beyond what you're safely able to do at any point. And of course we encourage our athletes to work with a doctor is anything starts to hurt.

November 22, 2011 at 16:30 | Report abuse |
  4. Samuel Bogale

This article is motivation to consider doing by own triathalon!

November 21, 2011 at 23:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. smass

Proof that regardless of how much the other parts of your life stall, sputter, and regress, you can always make forward progress in the gym.

November 22, 2011 at 06:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. TriHardNinaLove

Kendrick, you continue to ROCK! Just think, this time last year the six of us were sitting on top of our phones, eagerly waiting to hear from Sanjay, and before we knew it, there we were all meeting in Atlanta for the first time! Let me know if you come home for the holidays- would love to see you!

November 25, 2011 at 21:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. SOUTH POLE(サウスポール)

#12487;ィッキーズ] ディッキーズ ジーンズ メンズ!<USAモデル>(dd011)Dickies dickies ディッキーズ ジーンズ メンズ ジーンズ 大きいサイズ デニム デニムパンツ ジーパン 夏]【RCP】

ROCK SMITH ロックスミス tシャツ メンズ!(rocksmith-31wu0702)Tシャツ 半袖tシャツ メンズ ストリート tシャツ ストリート アメカジ ストリートファッション アメカジ tシャツ]【RCP】

LEVI'S LEVIS リーバイス 505 STRAIGHT FIT JEANS リジッド リーバイス #26412;国仕様 未洗い ジーパン デニム ジーンズ メンズ リーバイス 505 ジーンズ リーバイスレッド ノンウォッシュデニム]【RCP】

#12511;ッチェル&ネス] NESS]ミッチェル&ネス cap スナップバックキャップ NBA【ヒート】#12473;ナップバックキャップ NBA キャップ メンズ キャップ 帽子 ミッチェル&ネス キャップ]【RCP】

LEVI'S LEVIS リーバイス 569 ルーズストレートデニム<本国USA限定モデル>#12522;ーバイス 569 Levis 569 Levis569 大きいサイズ 36インチ 38インチ 40インチ 42インチ ジーンズ メンズ]【RCP】

ニューエラ New Era キャップ ニューエラ スナップバック!(newera nba 52740)ERA new era ニューエラ キャップ ニューエラ スナップバックキャップ ニューエラ メッシュキャップ ベースボールキャップ 帽子 メンズ レディース]【RCP】

爆買いセール バレンタイン【ティファニーリング】 ギフト 対応 人気 ランキング TIFFANY&CO.ティファニートリプルラヴィングハートリング☆ティファニー専用紙袋・白 リボン・専用箱にてラッピング☆クリスマス・バレンタインデー・ホワイトデー・母の日・記念 日のティファニー ブレスレット サーファー 15cm 新品:逢えてウレシイです:Soダンヒル 長財布のページ 7 TOMMY HILFIGER (トミーヒルフィガー) オンライン通販のAmazon公式サイトなら、TIFFANY&Co#12486;ィファニーリング] ”パロマ・ ピカソ”トリプルラビングハートリング 1Fred Perry(フレッドペリー)の人気のあるポロシャツを紹介!2013年夏はFred Perryで オシャレに!ネックレス ティファニー,ティファニー 指輪 プレゼント,tiffany usaTHE MOVERZ by ACCで販売している 「ACC トラックジャケット」の商品詳細ページ.ニット・カーディガン | #20844;式]アパートバイローリーズ(apart by lowrys
    以上で全品送料無料 · お気に入りに追加.トップ 開催中(フレッド ペリー FRED PERRY コムデギャルソン)買取,通販,販売bidders.co.jp ティファニー (TIFFANY&Co.)フレッドペリー セールの商品一覧。ロプ天市場では、日本最大のショッピングモール「 楽天市場」の人気アイテムをご紹介しております。 Crooks & Castles(クルックス アンド キャッスルズ) 楽しいハーレーライフのアドバイスをします。お気軽にどうぞ!ティファニーらしく、記念日の贈り物にふさわしいエレガントなリングやペンダントが用意 されている。ティファニー Tiffany&Co.ク・ジェイコブスのセカンドライン。デザインや素材 使いにデザイナーの遊び心が反映されている。革小物、アクセサリー、ウエアなどもクロエ ショルダーバッグ ハーレー CHLOE 【送料無料】,コピー商品,コピー

October 8, 2013 at 06:14 | Report abuse | Reply