home
RSS
Smucker's recalls chunky peanut butter over Salmonella fears
November 17th, 2011

Smucker's recalls chunky peanut butter over Salmonella fears

The J.M. Smucker Company announced Thursday that it is  voluntarily recalling certain 16-ounce jars of peanut butter over concerns about salmonella contamination.

"No illnesses related to this issue have been reported and the product is being recalled out of an abundance of caution for consumer safety," according to a company press release.

They go on to say that the "recall was initiated as the result of a routine sampling program by the company, which revealed that these finished products may contain the bacteria."

Smucker's is specifically recalling 16-ounce jars of "Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter Chunky," sold between November 8 and 17.  None of the company's other products are being recalled at this time.

The peanut butter was distributed in District of Columbia and the following 24 states: Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin.

The company says the affected products also contain the following information:

UPC: 5150001701 (located on the side of the jar's label below the bar code)
Production Codes: 1307004 and 1308004
Best-If-Used-By dates: August 3, 2012 and August 4, 2012

If you have a peanut butter included in this recall, the company recommends discarding the jar immediately, and calling Smucker's at 1-888-550-9555 for a replacement coupon.

In 2009, a Salmonella outbreak linked to a Georgia peanut factory caused close to 700 illnesses and nine deaths.  The source of the contamination was traced back to poor sanitary conditions at a single processing plant in Georgia.  All told, more than 3,900 products were recalled.

Salmonella can cause diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps in infected patients; often starting within one to three days after eating contaminated products.  Most patients with Salmonella will recover fully, but elderly patients, small children and people with compromised immune systems may require extensive hospitalization and treatment.

1. Leaf on the Wind

Good grief! A corporation taking responsibility BEFORE anyone gets sick? That's truly extraordinary.

November 17, 2011 at 18:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bj

I I have great respect for this company... they have the finest of products, and when they don't live up to your expectations, they listen and respond to you.

November 18, 2011 at 00:33 | Report abuse |
  2. Always Thinking

Awwwweee): i love Smucker's Chunky Penutbutter. its my favorite midday snack.

November 17, 2011 at 19:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. c s

I love their Organic Creamy Peanut Butter. I hope that they are able to find the problem and quickly fix it before anyone becomes ill.

November 18, 2011 at 07:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Laura Madere

Thank you for keeping us informed! I'll pass the info on as always on my Blog

November 18, 2011 at 08:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Sunshine

I really like Smucker's Organic and Natual peanuit butter. Sombody quickly alert Walmart. They need to get this product off the shelves. I just came home from grocery shopping there. Thank goodness the self-checkout scanner alerted me to the recall on the peanut butter. It took 5 people over 15 minutes to figure out how to delete the product from the register!

November 18, 2011 at 12:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. timebandit

People would think twice if they knew where food sold here comes from:

We buy food products from local growers, producers and farmers, if we can't get it locally then we make it, grow it or can it for winter use. Seeing and hearing issues of recalls, etc. coming from China, I value my life and my families.

November 18, 2011 at 12:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • What?

Get a clue. This peanut butter is not made in China, so what do recalls originating in China have to do with this article?

Oh, and it's "family's", not "families".

November 18, 2011 at 13:32 | Report abuse |
  7. Myto Senseworth

It's a good thing that we have some American companies that care. Don't expect that from companies outside of our borders and few in our borders. If more Americans don't start buying products made in the USA and from local producers, all you will have to eat will be the poison that we get from other countries. The lead, pesticides, food born illnesses, and other unknown toxins. I don't eat any veggies from California. I almost died because of the contaminated spinach when I was there a few years ago. I have since found out what they call "organic farming" and the way some of them do it is bound to cause sanitation and health issues. Don't have much faith in Georgia peanut growers any more either....simular reasons.

November 18, 2011 at 14:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Myto Senseworth

sorry...spelling......it's "similar reasons"

November 18, 2011 at 14:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Voltairine

Have food producers always been recalling THIS much food THIS often, or has it only been in the last 5 years or so? O.o I don't remember hearing about this many recalls and outbreaks throughout my life until about 5-10 years ago. Seems to me that people in our food production are getting REALLY FREAKING SLOPPY, probably out of greed. I've watched, "Food, Inc.", and I wouldn't be at all surprised that this is happening due to the industrial like methods that keep getting used for OUR FOOD so that THEY can make more money at risk to OUR health.

November 18, 2011 at 18:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Stacey

Bummer! This is my favorite brand. Our family probably goes through about THREE jars of this stuff per month.

November 19, 2011 at 08:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Carol

We like Smuckers creamy honey peanut butter. Our family has gotten sick from restaurant foods, but not from store bought food of any kind.

November 19, 2011 at 12:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. David Johanson

The peanuts used in this peanut butter come from farms in Georgia and Alabama mostly. The management at this particular plant is constantly trying to ensure that something like this does not occur and has made a concerted effort in the last several years to take steps to protect consumers from this exact issue. They are well aware that an issue like this is public relations poison, but aside from business concerns, they are good people who genuinely want to make safe, high quality food. I can personally assure you that food safety is a high priority for them. This problem did not arise due to neglect or lack of caring about the quality of the product.

November 19, 2011 at 18:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. 2cents

Why would anyone buy nasty peanut butter in a jar anymore, after all the reports over the past few years about rat infested filthy factories? Does anyone think adequate funds are being spent now on facility inspections anymore? Not since the Republicans have seized power. Does anyone out there still think most companies aren't doing everything as cheap as possible these days to maximize their profits? Cleanliness is an added cost; how many facilities are maintaining acceptable standards if inspections are rare? Grind your own at any health or natural foods store.

November 20, 2011 at 02:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Say what?

Republicans have siezed power where??? Just having the House is not being in power.
      Liberal moron.

November 21, 2011 at 09:19 | Report abuse |
    • Republican Watcher

Say what?

Liberal moron.

Republican Mooron....Then who proposed this? Doubt you understand how Congress works!

A House GOP proposal is seeking $285 million in cuts to the Food and Drug Administration, an 11 percent reduction from FY 2011, just as the agency moves to implement an ambitious new food safety law, reports Food Safety News. The proposal would also reduce the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service budget by $35 million.

November 21, 2011 at 10:15 | Report abuse |
  14. Sonya

Well good for Smuckers for doing the right thing to avoid a disaster. It's rare to see a company take such care to prevent illness.

I was a victim of the 2009 Georgia peanut butter salmonella outbreak. I ate from that jar of peanut butter several times while I was early in my pregnancy with twins. Sadly I miscarried at 11 weeks and I am certain that it was caused by the Salmonella poisoning. When I went in for my regular blood tests my OB/GYN told me that my hormone levels were good but my white cell count was really high. Later on I found out that they could tell from my ultrasound that something was wrong with the development of the twins and didn't tell me. For the life of me I couldn't understand why I was having severe vomiting and upset stomach. No one should have to endure what I endured, especially while pregnant. It wasn't until several months after the miscarriage that I learned about the Salmonella tainted peanut butter on CNN. After I saw the brand on TV, I remembered that I had a large jar of that peanut butter in my pantry that was half eaten. I got the jar and compared the product numbers and sure enough it was from the tainted batch. After hearing about this new potential scare, I think from now on I will buy peanuts and roast and grind them myself for my 1 year old son. To this day, I get scared every time I open up a new jar. It's like playing Russian Rulette. You never know if the jar you have is tainted until you eat it. I would be devastated if my son got Salmonella at his tender age. I try to protect him from food dangers but it's getting harder and harder to do because there are so many tainted foods in our food supply these days.

November 21, 2011 at 01:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Elsie Adams

Adams peanut butter is also owned by smuchers and it comes in natual type

November 21, 2011 at 07:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. In spite of your very best self efforts, everyone will ultimately find some good a zit. As opposed to swallowing it (this distributes the actual germs and natural skin oils in the zit about) test adding tooth paste on it. The actual tooth paste works to s

I'm really impressed along with your writing talents as smartly as with the layout to your blog. Is this a paid topic or did you modify it your self? Anyway stay up the nice quality writing, it is rare to peer a great weblog like this one today..

October 8, 2012 at 01:02 | Report abuse | Reply