home
RSS
Human Factor: Applying diet lessons to all of life
October 25th, 2011

Human Factor: Applying diet lessons to all of life

In the Human Factor, we profile survivors who have overcome the odds. Confronting a life obstacle injury, illness or other hardship they tapped their inner strength and found resilience they didn't know they possessed. This week Miss South Carolina Bree Boyce shares her story of going from obese, self-conscious teen to beauty pageant winner.

Growing up as an overweight and eventually morbidly obese young girl, I faced many obstacles that some would think impossible to overcome. But not only did I lose over 110 pounds, I went on to win Miss South Carolina and the Lifestyle and Fitness preliminary award.

At 234 pounds, I never thought that within a few short years, after a lot of dedication, sweat, and tears, I'd be close to living what was my secret dream as a young girl.

On January 14, 2012, I will compete for the Miss America title at the Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino in Las Vegas. My struggles and triumphs over obesity have helped me inspire many across the world to believe in the power of their dreams.

I want others to know that obstacles are just challenges to better ourselves. We are thrown curveballs in our lives, but how we handle them is what counts the most. I could have given up and never changed, but I wanted to believe in myself and my dreams, so one day at a time I worked on myself not only physically, but mentally.

The biggest lesson I have had to learn through this whole experience is that most people don't understand the physical and mental torment of having a weight issue. Most people think that I snapped my fingers and voila! I was thin! (If only that were the case!) I had to completely change everything about my life, and that was the hardest thing I have ever done.

I went from depending on food to comfort me and to bring me a sense of peace, to relying on food as a fuel source. I worked hard to improve myself every day. If one day I failed, the next day I would be back on track. Life isn't always going to be picture-perfect and I had to learn that it is OK to fail sometimes, because that only makes us stronger.

The biggest misconception is that you lose weight and you're done. Not the case at all. I challenge myself daily to better myself not only by working out and eating healthy, but by working on my inside as well.

Losing weight can play such a pivotal role in your mind. One day you feel amazing, the next you may feel like you're headed back to the dreaded place you once were. You have to focus on the important things such as eating healthy and getting physical exercise, but the mental aspect was most important to me.

I stopped caring about what others thought of me and I found self-worth. I had to learn to love myself and my body. I am completely confident in the woman I am today. It took time to settle into my new "skin" but by having struggles in my life, I can be a relatable role model to others. I'm reaching out to people from all walks of life to show them that you may have once been in a dark place in your life, but if you make the decision to change things for the better, you are unstoppable.

I wouldn't change anything about myself because regardless of whether I am as thin or as toned as the next person, I know the time and dedication I put into becoming the healthy person I am. I always tell people that the number on the scale or the size printed in your jeans should never matter.

What matters most is that you are living a healthy life. You are working out and eating the right nutritious foods to fuel your body, but most importantly, you are looking into the mirror knowing and loving your personal and professional self.

Never compare yourself to others. We are all unique and different and that is what makes each of us so special. Regardless of whether I capture the title in January, I know that my story is being told and that I can make a difference in the lives of others. Even if it is just one person, it is completely worth it to me. I look forward to competing and being one step closer to my ultimate dream of becoming Miss America.

I'm going into the experience with the same attitude I took into my weight loss journey. "I will accomplish this, I will be successful regardless, I will love and be myself, and I will do anything and everything to see my goal through."

The lessons I've learned from overcoming obesity will help me in anything I decide to do in life, and for that I know I will always be successful.

Post by:
Filed under: Human Factor • Weight loss

1. Lincoln

"The biggest misconception is that you lose weight and you're done. Not the case at all."

THIS.

October 25, 2011 at 13:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • johnny

very interesting indeed.......but check this out

this is a new diet solution in town !!!!!!

November 8, 2011 at 11:56 | Report abuse |
    • Sharda

is dhan ko jutaane mein main bhi thodi si chohti si madad karna chahunga .aur mujhe pata hai ki aur log bhi sehyog dene ko tayyar honge .kripya batyein ki hum sab aapki madad kaise kar sakte hain..itne pathak hai kavita kosh k..sab mil kar vyay ko aaram se utha sakte hain tareeka batayein.. pratiksha rahegi

June 30, 2012 at 22:37 | Report abuse |
  2. Shawn

Another Fat chick obsessed with losing weight for attention from men and then trying to make money from it.

October 25, 2011 at 20:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Ed Peterson

numerology for Bree Boyce:

October 25, 2011 at 20:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nazim

You, and perhaps poelpe that have lot's of free time on their hands. O'Reilly, Hannity and Beck should not be thought of as political figures. Anyone with half a brain knows that they are entertainers. Do you hear conservatives saying that Maddow and Olberman are political figures? Goodness, no. Fox does not have liberal bias. MSNBC is terribly tainted by the liberal media. CNN has a liberal slant but isn't nearly as bad as msNBC. I almost didn't even answer this question as it is surely going to be reported by someone on violation of a rant.

March 5, 2012 at 23:21 | Report abuse |
  4. chhooten

I love this woman's level of self-confidence and self-worth. She is truly a beacon for women and girls everywhere who needs someone to point to and say "see, she did it, why can't I?" I have so much respect for her, because not only did she achieve her perfect weight and come to love herself, but she felt the call to inspire others to follow her lead. And the moral is not that she can look good in a bathing suit, it's that she has the audacity in this age of "Love the skin you're in, big is beautiful, and I'm not that obese" age to want better for herself, and she reached her goal. I am improving myself and I look forward to seeing how I am transformed mentally, socially, and physically. Thank you Bree Boyce.

October 26, 2011 at 00:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. unretired05

Why and how much are the photos "Photoshopped"? Or are they different people?

October 26, 2011 at 09:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dominique

CNN can't say anyone is "from the left", scbauee everyone on CNN is campaigning for the GOP and apologising for Bush. CNN is about as liberal as the National ReviewSnow would be fine on CNN, they could pair him with their multimillion dollar earning host with 3 viewers: Glen Beck and circle jerk each other recitng RNC talking points about "Rev Wright" and "ethanol causing the food inflation". Give me a break. CNN is the conservativve News Network as is FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS and MSNBS (minus 1 hour of Olberman)Missouri, you should be HAPPY Helen Thomas is a PATRIOT and questions our leaders, NEWSFLASH, this is what JOURNALISM is supoosed to be, QUESTION THE LEADERS, INVESTIGATE and REPORT. Missouri, you should get on your knees and thank Helen Thomas for being one of the few, to be patriotic enough to question leadership. I supose Missori thinks a journalists job is to ask soft ball questions, patronise the politican, and fram the questions in a simple matter, so they can answer in a soundbyte and not be challanged or be honest. Why do you cons hate journalism when a republican is in charge? I love the double standard. Helen Thomas is BAD, but when the entire press corps attacked Clinton for 8 years (which they rightfully should) all was fine.

March 4, 2012 at 10:23 | Report abuse |
  6. johnny

very interesting indeed.......but check this out

this is a new diet solution in town !!!!!!

November 8, 2011 at 11:57 | Report abuse | Reply