home
RSS
Are female orgasms a 'bonus'?
October 13th, 2011

Are female orgasms a 'bonus'?

Ian Kerner, a sexuality counselor and New York Times best-selling author, blogs about sex on Thursdays on The Chart. Read more from him on his website, GoodInBed.

What do female orgasms and male nipples have in common? It’s a question that is helping inform research into the purpose of female orgasm (other than simply as a form of pleasure).

Investigators want to know whether the female orgasm is an “adaptation” or “byproduct” of evolution. In other words, does the female orgasm, like the male orgasm, have its own evolutionary raison d’etre and contribute directly to reproductive success? Or is it just an awesome bonus? Make that totally awesome.

This question of whether the female orgasm is an adaptation or a byproduct came to the fore in 2005 with the publication of “The Case of the Female Orgasm: Bias in the Science of Evolution,” in which Indiana University professor Elisabeth Lloyd rigorously examined 21 theories that sought to promote the female orgasm as an adaptation and, ultimately, found all of them lacking.

Over the years, I’ve been lucky enough to have had some thought-provoking conversations with Lloyd on various topics – such as whether premature ejaculation makes good evolutionary sense – and recently, her work has been once again garnering much-deserved attention.

· One such theory involves “pair bonding,” the idea that orgasm bonds a couple emotionally so that they’re more likely to pursue parenthood.

· Another theory states that female orgasm is a part of mate selection: A woman will choose her mate based on his ability to bring her to climax.

· And a third main theory involves the belief that the contractions of female orgasm will draw sperm up the reproductive tract and into the uterus.

In her book, Lloyd argues that studies show that the vast majority of women do not experience orgasm as a result of intercourse alone, or do so inconsistently, so how could the female orgasm be an adaptation? If the female orgasm, like the male orgasm, was essential to the propagation of humanity, wouldn’t it need to occur consistently via sexual intercourse?

Instead, Lloyd argues to view the female orgasm through the lens of the “byproduct” theory, which holds that orgasm is a trait that is so heavily selected in males (reproduction wouldn’t happen without it) that women retain an inherent capacity – after all, men and women are physiologically the same during the first eight weeks of gestation: Penises grow out, clitorises grow in, but they share the same organic structure and tissue.

According to Lloyd, “It is crucial to note that the penis and the clitoris are the ‘same’ organ in men and women. ... [T]he nervous and erectile tissues involved in orgasm in both sexes arose from a common embryological source.”

This same byproduct theory also explains why men have nipples: The biological necessity of nursing our young makes the nipple so highly selected in women that male embryos develop immature structures as an evolutionary byproduct. Similar to the clitoris, the male nipple contains highly sensitive tissue that contributes to male sexual arousal and pleasure. Male nipples: arousing? Yes. Necessary? No.

Yet a study of twins and siblings published recently in the journal Animal Behavior questions the byproduct theory of female orgasm. Researchers looked for similarities in orgasm function between 10,000 Finnish female and male twins. And although there were significant similarities between same-sex twins, the researchers found no such correlation in orgasm function between opposite-sex twins, a correlation one would expect if female orgasm is a byproduct of male orgasm.

All this debate of adaptation vs. byproduct shouldn’t really matter to the average person who just wants to enjoy orgasms. The problem, though, is that we tend to believe that what’s “natural” is better, even orgasms. And if we do argue that the female orgasm is some sort of “evolutionary norm,” then what should be said of all the women who do not orgasm consistently – that they are somehow not normal?

As a sex counselor, I frequently receive e-mails from women who are unable to achieve orgasm via intercourse and wonder, “What can I do to change this? What’s wrong with me?”

Well, if we stop thinking of female orgasms as something that should naturally result from intercourse, then we can also stop feeling that there’s one right way to have orgasms. In this sense, the byproduct theory offers a more expansive and encompassing view of female sexuality.

Unfortunately the term “byproduct” doesn’t exactly resonate with a sense of the exalted, so perhaps we should stick to Lloyd’s later rephrasing of the female orgasm as a “fantastic bonus” – or as I like to say, totally awesome!

1. fred sanford

Wow! Do I sense hostility with this article....lol..I was laughing reading all the posts. I feel for women who cannot have an orgasm through just penetration....i dont know how i have been able to do it but usually i talk to her and ask if she wants to have one could she help me help her............i dont understand women or pretend to then again there are many people i meet today i dont understand...i think we left our privacy out ide and we all moved into our closets....if that makes sense....hey if i can help you achieve your goal for the moment i guess I succeded in egalitarianism.....I think that is how we should read into this article......be nice and you may be surprised what walks in your front door(to your closet unfortunately) tee hee

November 9, 2011 at 10:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Michelle Frank

Thanks for sharing. I definitely would have addes that one to the list if i'd known about it. I'll add it to the post now. 🙂

May 6, 2012 at 11:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. sahara

I find it interesting that at http://www.LoveExpos.org they say that orgasms can be used to self heal bodies and expand minds.
    Someone has come up with a very interesting way to Self Heal and Expand Consciousness with Love Bursts.

June 30, 2012 at 19:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marvan

Hi Sahara – I like how they explain that there are both procreational and evolutionary orgasms – each with their own purpose – finally an explanation about orgasms that makes sense.

July 2, 2012 at 23:33 | Report abuse |
  4. Ministro

Do you think that my former frnied with benefits will want to have sex with me?I was frnieds with this guy that's 19 years old and he chased me for almost a year straight. He was really interested in me sexually. I never had sex with him because I told him that I don't have sex with guys that I'm not in a relationship with. But after 9 months we did end up having a really quick session of oral sex.Now it's a year and a half later. We're both in college.I plan on sending him a message on Facebook and asking him if he wants to meet up and have sex.Do you think that he will say yes?

November 14, 2012 at 14:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Charles Runels

"How to activate the female orgasm system described in detail by Dr Runels in his course, Activate the Female Orgasm System. Go here to see video: http://OrgasmSystem.info

March 11, 2013 at 00:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Martha Washington

I suppose to answer the first question, on must first believe in the evolution theory. Anyone with a sliver of a brain can look at the human body and see there is no way this all came by chance...

March 25, 2013 at 22:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. faq

I think the article is very helpful for us,it has solved our problem,thanks!
    faq http://www.funt-tea.ru/faq/

April 7, 2016 at 02:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Asuncion Schutzenhofer

Hello my friend! I wish to say that this article is awesome, great written and come with approximately all significant infos. I’d like to look extra posts like this.

July 1, 2016 at 13:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Melanie Schumm

Free online games… [...]First off I want to say terrific blog! I had a quick question in which I’d like to ask if you don’t mind. I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to writing. I’ve had difficulty clearing my mind in getting my…

July 8, 2016 at 04:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Versie Dyron

i would love to do figure skating every week, this has been my hobby and a mild form of exercise for my body,

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo815WWz70g&w=640&h=390]

July 12, 2016 at 22:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Andre Biscahall

Thank you for sharing superb informations. Your web-site is very cool. I’m impressed by the details that you’ve on this site. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found just the information I already searched everywhere and simply couldn’t come across. What a perfect web-site.

August 22, 2016 at 10:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Nigel Oley

That is the awesome wonderful search engine in the planet

April 17, 2017 at 09:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. DJ Crazy

There are actually numerous details like that to take into consideration. That is a nice point to carry up. I offer the thoughts above as common inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you deliver up the place the most important thing will probably be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged round issues like that, however I’m positive that your job is clearly identified as a good game. Each boys and girls feel the impression of only a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

July 4, 2017 at 11:33 | Report abuse | Reply